Speaker 1: Oh good a. Thank you for joining us on the body and Soul podcast called Healthy Ish. I'm your host Felicity Halley, and joining us in the studio to dissect the hottest topics in the health and wellness world this week is our Fab digital editor Holly Berkomen. Oh yes, we've got some goodies for you.
Speaker 2: Holly.
Speaker 1: Welcome back and welcome back to Australia.
Speaker 2: Bench to Japan, I have thank you very much, guys. Surprise holiday, I know, how was it? It was amazing. I went skiing in Niseko, which was fantastic. It was the first time I've skied in Japan. I have been to Japan before once last year, but the skiing was really sensational, like powder out the wazoo. Amazing. Oh, it was great, very jelly, it was good. I ate ramen. I hung out with my family. It was great. Such a great trip. Yeah, it was really lovely. Well how are you.
Speaker 1: I'm good. Yeah, I'm just managing. February is a pretty busy month in the Harley household. I have three children born in the same week.
Speaker 2: Oh my, how did you image that?
Speaker 1: People often say we the Swan's doing really well at that time?
Speaker 2: Were they winning games, but no, it just it just happened. You know.
Speaker 1: One was three weeks early, one was two weeks late. Yeah, one was a week early and literally in the same week, and so funny two a day apart. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: So it's very frantic. We have lots of birthdays, lots of parties and and I think over the years, I now probably go over the top because I want every one of them to feel special and sweet. I don't want to feel one over the other.
Speaker 2: It's an administrative nightmare, I'm sure. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, anyway, good luck for another year now. Yeah, what's happening with you? Now? You're back in body and zul HQ.
Speaker 2: So yeah, happy to be back at the Helm this week. And the story that I really liked this week is our latest column from Fab contributed Tanya Hennessy, comedian, radio host, etc.
Speaker 1: She's a lot of fun, she's.
Speaker 2: Great and you've probably seen her columns come up on Instagram things for us. But the latest was is this the world's biggest red flag? So many to choose from, but her pick is that people don't ask questions anymore. Have you noticed this?
Speaker 1: People aren't curious about others?
Speaker 2: I think so, Yeah, Yeah, so Tany said, why is no one curious anymore? I'm fascinated by people. I want to know about people's lives. How do people not find others interesting? They have a whole story to tell, give me a different perspective on something I'll probably never live. I want to know. And I really relate to that, you know, like when I'm talking to people, I'm curious about what they do for work, I'm curious about where they live, how they spend their time, what they do with their friends, what they're interested in. And so I think for me, it's very natural. But maybe this is a journalist thing to ask questions.
Speaker 1: I was going to say, I think it is because I'm the same.
Speaker 2: You're a podcaster, you're a journalist.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I really find it. It's a great Like I'm really into having really rich conversations. I'm the same, So asking questions, maybe that's just part of our trade.
Speaker 2: And part of me thought. Maybe people are like unsubscribing from the notion of small talk, and so maybe they don't want to ask questions because they don't want to just have meaningless chitchat. But I would rather have meaningless chit chat or small talk than just stand in the corner of a party like and not knowing anyone and not speaking.
Speaker 1: Maybe my other thought is that when you are standing in a coffee queue, for example, not at a party so much, but everyone is on their phone or they've got an earbuds in the Actually I saw the New York Times. I think it's New York Times on New Yorker wrote an article last week about how earbuds are actually impacting our society in the way we connect because everyone just has earbuds in so no one talks to everyone in anymore. And even I was thinking about that with my sons on the bus, Like one of them now in high school, he has his. They all get off the bus with their earbuds, yeah, or earphones or whatever, and I think, wow, like that you should be communicating on a school bus.
Speaker 2: I agree. I also think this has impacted the dating world a lot because people are so closed off when they're out in public, they have their headphones in there on their phone. It's very like it's not an open environment to approach people in that kind of organic.
Speaker 1: No, and often we don't know what to say because we're not Even if you're not out there talking to people and strangers. Then you kind of get out of the habit of what to say and how to strike a realization.
Speaker 2: That's so true. My best friend Annabelle always laughs at me because I often talk to people in public, and I'm so weird about it, because it's like I have the urge to talk to someone, and then I say it at this like weird half volume, so no one can really hear me except that she can hear me, and it's so embarrassing, and they're always weird about it. It's just horrifying. So I think it's probably anxiousness a little bit, and also not being in practice of asking people questions. Tanya thinks, yes, anxiousness, also afraid to ask the wrong questions maybe, and then a fear of looking dumb or uninformed maybe, which I think is a bit sad, Like I would be happy if someone asked me a question and even if they didn't know if even if it was a quote stupid question, I wouldn't mind.
Speaker 1: Do you find though, sometimes when people ask if you ask someone a question, they look at you like you're a freak. Yeah, like a stranger.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's why it's so embarrassing When I do it when I'm out.
Speaker 1: I'm just trying to be a connects with you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, even if you're in the coffee line and you're like, oh if you ordered, Yeah, they look like you at you like you've grown a second and god forbid, I'm trying not to push in. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think she's I think she's onto something and perhaps it's inspiration for us all as we go about our days. Yeah, to just try and connect with people, more strangers whoever.
Speaker 2: I agree, big curious, ask people things, try and learn something about someone, and get out of your own head.
Speaker 1: It's probably good for you, because I think there's got to be research that shows connecting with strangers. Actually, I think i've we've talked about the podcast before. Connecting those inconsequential connections that you have throughout your day can actually boost your dopamine and in turn boost your mental health.
Speaker 2: Yes, we have spoken about this. It's those like micro interactions rather than like the really close things a lot of the time that make you feel connected.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, that's how task for the next week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, everyone go ask questions please, I'm begging you.
Speaker 1: I love this story on the website. It really got me clicking thank you do protein powders actually work? I just felt it was speaking to me. I mean, I've tried protein powders on and off throughout the years, but I always wonder are they working?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Or am I being fleeced for money with clever market that we all know that protein is a must for our health. That provides the building blocks for every selling our body. It impacts things like muscular health, hormone health, energy, recovery times, sleep, everything. I could go on, and I just thought this story was really good. You interviewed a Sydney based nutritionist, LaToya Cruz, and according to her and dieticians Australia, most Australians are not getting enough protein in their diet. Research shows you need a minium of one grand per kilo of body weight, and LaToya said the amount of protein each of us needs will depend on how active or sedentary our life style is. So the more active we are, the more we need.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So let me believe I'm training for this half marathon, maybe I do need to really focus on my protein a bit more. I don't know, I haven't got the powder yet, but anyway, She said that whilst protein powders are not necessary. They can be a helpful way to increase protein intake at certain points in your life, whether you're breastfeeding, pregnant, getting older, or training for half marathon.
Speaker 2: Well, well, well there you go.
Speaker 1: So it should always I mean obviously balanced diet first and foremost as a mere replacement, but it can help to boost those levels.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think it's also you need to be careful about which ones you're peaking as well. But yeah, protein powders. Can you know, it's ultra processed, So I think you want to pick ones which are giving you protein in the healthiest way possible.
Speaker 1: But to find the supplement do you find you get a bit? Yeah, well neither am I. And then I think, oh, do I should be taking this? Like I'm hearing so much about creating? Should be taking this? And I suppose just do your research and then make an educate A guess.
Speaker 2: I agree, But I just think, you know, when it comes to wellness, there are so many things you can focus on. There's so many different parts you can take, and I actually can't keep up and I don't think anyone really can. And supplements and things other than taking like a women's multi vitamin. I just can't. I can't keep up with it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that's what I do.
Speaker 2: I don't do. I don't do colligy, and I don't do protein powders, et cetera. So good luck to me and good luck to you, good luck to me.
Speaker 1: Just quickly before we go, give us a quick rundown of most click story off the word.
Speaker 2: People have got relationships on the mind, and maybe this is off the back of Valentine's Day. So the top story was these other warning signs you're headed for divorce. Number one, you didn't buy your wife a Valentine's Day present. I'm working, OK, But I think it's very easy to assume that divorces are the result of like a big, malicious, dramatic event like someone's cheated or yeah, I don't know, something kind of has big, has gone awry, But it can be a lot more insidious. So the top four things are the communication is on the rocks. It's a pretty obvious one, but if you just feel like you're not speaking the same language, that's a pretty big warning sign. Two non stop arguing another brainer, no brainer. There three, a loss of intimacy. I think this is more important for some couples than others, and it doesn't necessarily mean sex. It can be intimacy in other ways. And then for neglected quality time. So if you just don't really want to spend time with each other and quality time with each other, then it's a bit of a red flag.
Speaker 1: And I think these are feed into each other because if your communication is on the rocks, you're going to have a loss of intimacy, You're not going to be spending time together, and then you know, an argument might blow up into something more.
Speaker 2: Exactly, And if I'm arguing with you, I don't want to be intimate. I actually want you to stay away from me exactly.
Speaker 1: Good little reminders anyway, Holly, welcome.
Speaker 2: Back, Thank you very much. It's great to be back.
Speaker 1: See you next week, Babe. Once again, if you do want to read any of the above, I will leave a link to those stories in the show notes. If you did enjoy this chat, share with a friend, leave a review, or let me know via DM across social media. And don't forget listeners that this month we want you all to take part in the four week Health of the Nation Challenge. The best bit about that is you get free access to the kick app for one month. I tell you it's a fantastic offer and a courage you all to sign up and join us. I will leave a link to that fantastic offer idea challenge in the show notes. So come on board anyway. If you do want anything else, jump online bodyansoul dot com dot au, follow us on socials, grab our print edition which is out in your local Sunday paper, and until well next time you listen, Thanks for listening to this episode. You know the drill, you know the saying stay healthy.