Speaker 1: Welcome to pers number one podcast.
Speaker 2: You're listening to the Jamo and Dylan Show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, we're on the way that Dance Bra Little Man Trip with before celeb. Goodday, guys, and welcome back to the Jammu and Dylan Show. Today we have a very special guest, one of my favorite footballers at all time, being a doctor's man myself. It's Hayden Valentine. Welcome to the show.
Speaker 2: Thanks for thanks having me.
Speaker 1: So plenty coming up for you. We'll get onto that in a bit. Balers is going to be having a fight. You'll be fighting Boomer Boomer Harvey, Brent Harvey, games record holder for the AFL, and that'll be a great fight that's coming up in a couple of weeks. Time. Are you excited?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Pumped. I was a bit nervous when we threw out the challenge to some ex players. No one has taking me out, but Boom has jumped on board. He's done a bit of training for boxing for a while, so he's he's wanted to do one for a while, he said, So he's yeah, he's pretty excited.
Speaker 1: That's really exciting and similar like heightened weight, is it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So we're fighting at I forget the weight category super middle or something like that, so seventy six seventy six kilos, but yeah, I lost I lost six kilos in my first month of training, so I'll have no problem with the way.
Speaker 1: And you're telling us before you started that it was just through all the hard work, wasn't it, Because you're still eating like you want to.
Speaker 2: I'm eating more really like I've eaten like I'm still playing footy. But but yeah, it's just the training. It's different type of fitness. I was fit when I was playing, but now I've got a similar level of fitness, just just different, like, yeah, my tanks a lot better. I wish I did more boxing while I was playing Elite.
Speaker 1: That's good because we watched some promo stuff like for the fight, and you did do a lot of boxing when you were playing, which is good preparation. I guess you've been doing it for years. And did you ever when you were playing have any like spars, like proper spars with people?
Speaker 2: Yeah, a couple of times. So the first time we did sparring it was my first year and we got beat by Melbourne. We're up by thirty points at halftime. I wasn't playing.
Speaker 1: I was.
Speaker 2: I think I was injured or maybe suspended. But we got rolled Austin Wamiri. He kicked four in the second half and beat us. So I had to. Mark Harvey said, get your gloves, get your mouth guards down to Springer's gym and have a punch on. So and my first my opponent was Roger Hayden, who could fairly fairly go. So I got in the ring and was throwing a few and he hit me with one and I just i'd raised a bit, like I've got a bit of a tweak, and I raised and started throwing haymakers and gave Roger a shiner. I felt a bit bad afterwards, but yeah, we had a couple of little sparring sessions like that. Also was a punishment more than fitness for not playing that we should.
Speaker 1: Which coach had the harshest punishments, I would say Ross was harsh and it's not intentionally punishing you.
Speaker 2: But every every Monday post the posts review or sorry, the post game review, we'd have a slide, all these slides of our trademark what's expected and what's not expected, and if you were on the what's not expected, that was the biggest punishment because you've let your team down, and that's I hated. I love being on the good side, like run down. And it was never it was never a great mark or a great kick that he highlighted. It was the rundown tackles, that putting your head over the ball, the blocking for your teammates and stuff that I naturally did anyway. I enjoyed the physicality of that. I was mostly on the good side, but if there was there was one occasion where I I remember, I didn't chase out. I thought he was going to kick the ball, so I stopped chasing and then he continued on and set up a goal and I was showed on that and I thought, fuck, I don't want to be in this again. So from then on, I just yeah, every not from then on, I generally gave everything anyway, but I just thought, that's that's it's a great highlight for everyone else. I give you best, and yeah, and you'll be recognized by your peers that you're doing everything you can to win.
Speaker 1: And I guess that stuff would stick in your head too. If you've made that mistake, you know not to do it again. Yeah, So I guess it is a good thing. It seems like Ross's mellowed out a little bit in the media and stuff lately. He seems to be a bit different. Maybe he's changed his ways, or maybe he's just putting on the front.
Speaker 2: I highly doubt that. Yeah, I wouldn't know, but knowing Ross very very well, I highly doubt that. But in saying in saying that as well, there's a couple that I don't have many regrets playing football, Like I always play with my heart on my sleeve and that. But the couple of regrets I do have are things that no one else would have seen and no one would have picked up. But another one was in my last season, I didn't chase It was just a I didn't chase out like I would normally do because we're playing getting smashed by g w s and a couple of teammates for not pulling their weight as well, I thought, fuck what am I doing? And I remember, I remember I made the decisions to not chase off. What am I doing? Like I can pull your head in, that's not what you do. And the other one, I've said this before, it's my first season. Maddie Scarlett stuck his knee and perhaps back and I didn't go remonstrate, and I thought that will never happen again either. And yeah, stuff that no one else would have seen, but I remember it and not what I want to be remembered for.
Speaker 1: Just want to backtrack to your childhood, your upbringing, tell us where it was, what it was about, and yeah we'll go from there.
Speaker 2: Yes, I grew up in belt Ivers, went to belt I was primary school. My wife also went to belt Ivers Primary school. She's a couple of years three years younger. But I played footy with her brother. He's a year younger and was a small town. He had a mixed age group, so you know, thirteens and fourteen it's played together. So we played a bit of footy together. Yeah. My dad. My dad's a horse trainer. So I started riding truck work when I was twelve. Technically I'm meant to, but yeah I was. I was riding a bit of work when I was twelve, so which put me in good stead because it's hard work to control a five and a kilo animal. So it built up a good strong core for me and built a bit of strength just by doing something that I like doing. And first horse over galloped. My favorite of a big gray horse is beautiful horse and my favorite. And I said, Dad, let me gallop him. He he goes, you won't be able to hold him, I said, will were meybeing a smart ass. So I got on and he's let me go and we're going up the hill and he's gone. This horse has just bolted on me. I couldn't stop him, and all here his dad just steer, just steer us. That's all I could do. I was just trying to steer this horse. And he got back to the barn and he just stopped and walked into the into the tile. So, yeah, it was, it was. It was a hard working upbringing, but I think that's it's put me in good stead. I enjoy hard work. And yeah, I used to get a few kicks in the ass, but I got taugh to a good work.
Speaker 1: Okay. I think what about the first time you played footy? Were you playing from like six years old? Was it something that came a bit later?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was kick played be I was. I was kicking my pop. My pop was probably the main driver for football for me. He loved footy. Mad West Coast supporter, I was a West Coast spporter growing up. Unfortunately, I amate.
Speaker 1: To deal before like Jordan Clark was, we had him on the show. A lot of people are but once you're in the industry.
Speaker 2: When I was a kid, they were the only w A side, so you know, waffle wasn't really a thing then because West Coast had come in, so I was. I followed West Coast and yeah, Pop took me to most of my footy games. Yeah, I was kick I don't remember a whole lot. I remember I got sent off ones because I saw the umpire who's one of the dads. So you've always been yeah, but I always knew I was. I was pretty handy at football. It was just my stature that let me down. I was always the shortest. That's why were number one because that was the smallest jersey. Yeah that is smallest jersey started from number one, that went up from there, so that's why I was always number one. But you always loved foot. He always had a foot in my hand when I was a kid, and yeah, something I was always hoping to Well, I kind of had a choice and Dad said to this, if you want to play footy, start doing weight, start running, and that if you want to be a jockey, stop eating and lose some weight and be a jockey. And yeah, luckily I pulled the right rain and chose footy.
Speaker 1: At least you're involved in racing now. So although you missed out on I guess being a jockey, you were still doing track work and stuff.
Speaker 2: Like that prior to that. Yeah, prior to that for a few years anyway. And then school wasn't really for me, you know, like I said, a bit of a shit ied. Teachers didn't like me too much. I didn't like them too more the authority of it. But I finished school year ten, got a ball to maker World or apprenticeship. So that's yeah, what I what I did is a trade. I had a few odd jobs here and there while I was still playing waffle waffle footy coming through the ranks. And when I was eighteen, I was thinking I had a pretty good eighteen's Carnival, thinking I was going to get drafted. Didn't, which was pretty shattering, but I didn't bitch about it. I just got on the horse, trained hard, had three years of waffle waffle footy, and my third year I had a really good year and pretty much gave most clubs no option but to give me a go. What it takes seventy goals, right to get seventy six? You know what, I got seventy six. They marked me down in the records or whatever is seventy five, so they've ripped me one off there.
Speaker 1: That's not good. Sandover medal that year as well. What was it like your time at Peel?
Speaker 2: I loved it. I loved the club. You know, They've given me so much, give me the opportunities, the people like. I'm great mates with a lot of those boys that I played with, going over to Canada for one of their weddings next month. So it's yeah, I made some lifelong friendships, but we weren't very good. But I never never recognized that much, so I just didn't. I loved it and I wanted to drive the club as much as I could and win as many games as I could. Yeah, two thousand and eight obviously had a really good season. Kicked a lot of goals and played played a good game. And Chris Wardman was a big driver of that because the two previous years I played midfield and went good. Like the year before, I think I finished fourth in the Sandover. I was nineteen or something and playing midfield, you know, getting plenty of the ball, still kicked thirty five or something goals, so I had a relatively good season, but still didn't get picked up. So he said go play forward and Tranda's small forward, and so I did that, and being a midfield I knew how to find the ball. And the one thing I worked I used to get to training in our earlier and I'd have fifty sixty shots because that was one thing that kind of me down a bit, was finish. So I just made that, just tried to master that as much as I could, and it definitely paid off because the first half of the year, yeah, I was I was I don't want to sound too bigetter, but I was flying.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's elite and getting picked up that year, so you knew you had a good year. Was their interest that you knew of from other clubs? Did you meet with a few clubs? How did that work?
Speaker 2: Yes? I had interviews and so they are all sorts of psyched tests and stuff like that. So majority of the clubs I had some sort of contact with, but the main main interest was from Hawthorne, Port, Adelaide, West Coast and Frio. They were the four main ones.
Speaker 1: How interesting it would have been if it was Hawthorne.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, they were gonna they were going to use their first pick that picked seventeen. I think it was on me and that would have Yeah, it would have been unreal. The only one I wasn't too keen on is Adelade. There's a whole lot gone on Adelaide.
Speaker 1: But that deal was actually in Adelaide's sport.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's the one one. You know. I would have loved to go to any club, just get on a list and you know, give me a chance. Really, so I wouldn't have honestly, wouldn't have bothered me. But if I had a choice, I would have preferred Victoria or stay stay in the home state. But West Coast said they were going to use pick twenty. They they passed, and then who.
Speaker 1: Did they pick instead?
Speaker 2: Tom Swift? Oh, Tom Swift him and then twenty one for pick me up. So yeah, I was in Cigart Harbor Mark Pink he was. He put a breakfast on and had a few friends around and the name got called out and it was well, I kind of was a bit emotional, but more relieve, like the hard work pay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it probably hid a little bit different considering your draft or you missed out when you're was there at any point you were thinking maybe it won't happen.
Speaker 2: A little bit. Yeah, like for those first two years as a midfielder. But then when I got that niche in the forward line and went so well, I thought, there's if they if they don't pick me up, then yeah, there's something something wrong. Yeah. Yeah, I had a really good year. But yeah I was when they called my name out. It was but then it was almost an instant feeling of right, right now, I'm going to show these pricks they should have picked me up three years. Yeah. So everyone and I just got to work straight away, and I was just very great. I think because I was in the real world for a few years. I actually had a nine to five job. I had to go to training at four point thirty when everyone else was there at five point thirty. I had to do extra and I I know, yeah, I had to live the real real world life for a few years, so I appreciated it. I'm not saying that, you know, younger draftees don't appreciate it, but I think I just had that extra appreciation because yeah, there's no albeit, it's hard work and a pre season. I definitely prefer that than being in a factory worlding.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah for sure. Yep. What were your first memories of going to Frio? Who were I guess your first mates at the club and just some stories around that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I was drafted with Nick Suban, Stephen Hill, Michael Walters, Greg Broughton.
Speaker 1: Pretty good draft crop.
Speaker 2: We had forteen come in forteen in that season between the draft and the rookie list, and I already knew Gregory Broughton and we're already kind of kind of mates. We had a few sessions after we played Subiaco a few times. I knew him quite well, so we had a good connection straight away. And the senior players, i'd actually played against a few of them in the Waffle, so it's kind of like they, you know, I was part of their team now, but they still, you know, we're like a bit iffy about me. Yeah, if there was an AFL player playing in the Waffle, they were a target for me and I really went hard at him and there's a bit, I suppose a little bit sour because I got on top of him sometimes, but but yeah, once once I got to training and I really showed what I had in training. I trained really hard and I think a lot of them appreciated it. And Aaron sand Lands he was the other one. Like we just bonded pretty quickly. Like I've said before, We've got a similar IQ, we go on a similar wavelength, so we were pretty tight straight away as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you reckon that helps Sandy country?
Speaker 2: He's a country mount barker.
Speaker 1: Do you reckon that helps you get along with him? Because there's that I guess real world experience.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so, because he also was drafted as a nineteen year old, so he had a year in the real world as well. He used to mow lawns with his old man before going to training.
Speaker 1: It doesn't even a business around that now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's got a gecko contracting. They're quite Actually drove past one of one of them going the Verge Way on the way here, so he's you wouldn't him ride on? He is literally he doesn't fit too well. But but yeah, he's one of the nicest people ever met. But again, he appreciates being on a list because he's been in the real world and like his work ethic was second to none.
Speaker 1: Yeah, who are some of the other best blokes like your closest mates from from Footy.
Speaker 2: Clubs Kepler Bradley is one of the funniest men. He You know, he should be doing a podcast because he just the stories he's got and the way he tells his stories, it's just it's just hilarious and he's Yeah, he's one. You could just spend a whole afternoon having a few beers listening to him to ship and you're just you're being stitches laughing because yeah, we would hang out quite a bit. We had a couple of trips away and yeah, he was he was very good value. Zachie Dawson Lee spur favorite saying is shut up Spur because he just talks too much. Yeah, Mickey Barlow, Yeah, pretty much everyone you went to war with week after week, you just had this bond, like certain players that you knew were going to give everything for you just had that. I just had that instant respect for him, and I think you know, they reciprocated that as well with me because they knew what they were going to get every week. So blokes that you went in and went to war with every week. You just you had a respect for him and you enjoyed their company off the field because you fought so hard on the footy field. When you go and let your hair down and have a beer, you like hanging out with them for sure.
Speaker 3: Who do you think your most underrated teammate on field that you played with your career.
Speaker 2: He might not like me saying he's underrated, but David Munday, he was such a good player, Like I think you only had one all Australian, where in my eyes, he's as good as a Scott Pendlebury. Smooth mover, beautiful kick, beautiful decision maker. Everything they look, the way they see the game is very similar, Like they're very similar players. Like they're both actually really slow. They can't run very fast, but time slows down for him on.
Speaker 3: The Yeah, it looks like that, doesn't I completely agree.
Speaker 2: People are running past pendles or day of Monday and they're just running past them and they're just it's like finding so much space. Yeah, and they were just Yeah, he was one that albeit one of you best in Ferris and that he's just I think he should be right up there with some of the best midfielders going.
Speaker 1: Around hundred percent. I feel like that too. His recognition kind of only came late, Like he did get a lot of recognition towards the back end of his career, but like you said, only the one all Australian when.
Speaker 2: He was a bit of a slow start, Like it took him a few years to really get his niche in the game. But yes, he's a player you used to love leading out because you just knew that's where it was going to bee.
Speaker 1: Do you who are your favorite players in the competition? Like do you watch much footy now or not as much?
Speaker 2: I watched the game frustrates me nowt of it because they've taken a lot of what I enjoyed out of it.
Speaker 1: I was actually gonna ask you that it's written down here, like what are the aspects? Like Obviously a lot of former players don't like the way the game's going because a lot of the stuff that you like to do, yeah, is being taken out. So what are your thoughts on that?
Speaker 2: Well, I just yeah, I can't understand it. The game wasn't broken, don't try and fix it. I fully understand, Like you've got to try and protect the head and concussions and stuff like that, but I think they've gone too far with it. And even the way the umpires umpire, it's so different week after week. If it was consistent, and if it was consistent every week with every umpire, yep, no worries because you know what to expect. But one week there's a there's a push in the back mark this way, and then the following week is marked this way, So well, what the fuck what are we doing? We had no one of the players and the fans are getting frustrated because it's changing every week. So consistency is the main thing, particularly particularly for the players, because we're the one's out there apparently making the mistakes. So give us, give us a baseline, don't fucking stick to it, because that that's my one real piss off is the inconsistency.
Speaker 3: Is it just as confusing for players sometimes as it is for us as fans watching the game, like with decisions that are made and conversations after that around the club. Yeah, you play a game and like the umpires, I've never seen an umpire change his mind, which is fine, But like I said, consistency because one week you see, oh that was all right, Like the pushing the back. One is a good example because they've said you can hold your ground.
Speaker 2: Now you can. You can use your hands to hold your ground. I think it was in the Faro game last week a player did that and he didn't fully push him, he just held him and then and hands in the back. So for the last whatever I can remember, you were allowed to hold your ground. So that's that's the one, my one. Yeah, big peeven like this new tunneling thing again, you know if it's there, but I don't know if you got off or not. Toby Green, it got dombe to tunneling. It's like he's literally come in to try and intercept the ball his turn. He's about to get killed. He's protecting himself, and he got off. I think I offered a few weeks for it. So how does that happen?
Speaker 1: Who are some of your favorite players? I guess from other teams that you played against, And also I want to know your toughest opponent, whether they were playing directly on you or if they were just you know, a great midfield or something.
Speaker 2: Well, Chris jard was like an idol growing up. He's someone I loved love watching him, Like Benny cousins Ker. When those boys run around, it was. It was good to watch. And my second game we played is when he moved to Carlton. We played against Carlton. I chase him down and and tackled him.
Speaker 1: Surreal mate.
Speaker 2: It was Yeah, it was pretty early in the game too, and I helped him up and I never like the opposition.
Speaker 1: Is the only time he ever didn't.
Speaker 2: I've helped him up and he's jogged off, got him. But yeah, that was that was That was pretty cool playing against Juddy hardest opponent actually both Adelaid boys, Graham john Cock. He was just an unreal player. He'd run off. This is when the defense defenders would actually run off and take the game on rather than just trying to stop you. So remember one of the first games I played against so he kicked two goals and I was meant to be the forward that's not going to look good in the review. And then Luke Smith. I'm pretty sure that Luke Smith. Yeah, he was. He was just he was the opposite. He was a lockdown. He didn't care if he didn't get a kick as long as you didn't get a kick, and he used to struggle to get it, get any separation from him. They were both real tough and the best players, Like this is the ones that everyone though Gary Abler, It's just what he did at Gold Coast is just unreal because they were, let's be honest, they were pretty ordinary. And he's won a Brownlow. I remember I line him up from thirty meters away one day, came in, tried to steamroll him, and he just flicked me off and went kick a goal. In life, I was actually winded. I had it like just the core, the power hit that man has was just phenomenal. Same as Dangerfield, same thing. I've come in off the square, sent a square bounce, gone to tackle him and I've hit him with everything I got and he just stood there. I'm like hanging on to one leg and he's just got the handb all the way and then he stook off. I'm like, just yeah, some some's just built different. And those two stand out just for their just their power that they had.
Speaker 1: What about like Prime nat five? Was he unreal at training? Was he just as good in training as he was in games?
Speaker 2: Not? Not really like because he had to manage his body quite a bit, because because he was so powerful. That was kind of his downfall too, like he would he had to really manage his body so he was ready for games. But every now and then he do something at training is like Jesus. That was pretty hands on our team. He was his phenomenal athlete. And then I reckon, I think his best season was fourteen when he was like he'd roll off around half back and take those big intercept marks in defense and it's like he was like a he was like a secret weapon where he'd stop, stop the goals, stop that forward thrust the opposition passed it off and then we'd go bang, go forward. So that was if he was a suspended I definitely think he would have on the round like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was a good season for you too, wasn't it fourteen all Australian.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's and I reckon that was our team's best season as well. Later in that year, injuries really ravished us, you know, looping Fahl and john O pav I broke my draw in the final. Like it was. Injuries took a toll towards the back half that year, but we were humming, like we just we gelled together so well. I think the sting from the year before losing the Grand Final really urged us along and yeah, fourteen we were, Yeah, we were, we were rocketing.
Speaker 1: Do you still feel the sting from the Grand Final now or is it kind of the longer you've had to think about it, you're just like, it's footy still stings. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was an opportunity missed. I think Ross had a stat set we had seventeen marks inside fifty and if you look at every game that season, that stat wins every game. Yeah, it was like there was an opportunity miss.
Speaker 1: Did he bring that to you at the start of the fourteen season like that.
Speaker 2: Start, Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was. That was like the opening opening meeting. You've said, you know things that let us down, and that was that was one of them. That's the one that sticks out to me because in a forward, yeah, seventeen marks should be you know, even if you're kicking at fifty percent, that should be at least eight.
Speaker 1: Or nine goals.
Speaker 2: But as disappointing as it was losing, we we busted our ass up. There was It wasn't a it wasn't a lack of effort. It was some say luck, some might say the win, but It's just we didn't make the most for opportunities. And yeah, it definitely wasn't through lack of effort, because you could see how hard we were going. We kind of got on top in certain patches of the game, but we never got out our flow going. If we did, I think it could have been a different story. But insane that Hooks were a penmenal team. They win the next two as well, by ten twelve goals or something in both those games. So we lost the club fourteen or fifteen points that day and to a superstar team where we never really got flying how we should have.
Speaker 3: What was it like being at the club during that time? So thirteen fourteen, fifteen Grand Final, pre limbs competing finish top. I think in fifteen, what was the energy like around the club?
Speaker 2: Un Confidence, unreal, unreal? It was You'd walk out on the ground and you surrounded by Pavilech, Sandalands, File and Johnson. Five Monday, it was like good luck to the opposite.
Speaker 1: That was.
Speaker 2: That was one thing I remember. I'd look at the opposition and I think, these boys are going to have to be on their game to be today. And that was every week. I didn't matter who And I actually enjoyed playing against the best teams, which was it was the Geelongs, it was the Hawks, it was those top I love playing against them. They're the best, the real tests. Yeah, if we want to be the best, that's who we've got a beat. So I really I'd much rather play top seed than you have a kicker bag against the bottom doellers. Yeah, I'd much rather go against the big dogs for sure.
Speaker 1: I just want to quickly go back to twenty eleven Goal of the Year. Did you get anything for that?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So I thought I got a car.
Speaker 1: Well that was the general assumption.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I got a TV, a couple of cameras and surround sound package and I got a medal last year. So you had a mask for it thirteen years later? Yeah, I think I was. I was booked in for surgery or something. I couldn't go to the actual present the All Australian presentation where they present it, and five he went and he collected it for me, and then he lost it. And then I got a message from from Freeze at the at AFL house saying did you ever get your medal from Goal of the Year? I said, nah, sent me a photo of it. She said, it's been in storage for the last twelve years. So she sends it over and yeah, and he got un literally got it last year and my daughter took it straight away and it's on her bedside table.
Speaker 1: That's unreal. I you want to quickly talk about your family. You've got a few kids.
Speaker 2: Yeah, three girls, so in a bit of trouble. But yeah, the oldest is a horse fiend, absolutely loves it. The middle one gymnastics. She's very, very good at gymnastics. She does like a on the beam does his backflip into another backflip to land and that I do a hamsh.
Speaker 1: I do a hamsh just looking at it.
Speaker 2: But yeah, she's a great gymnast, great athlete. I'm never in courage any of them to do football, but if she did football, we'd be pretty happy because she dominated her reckon.
Speaker 1: How good is it as well? So to interrupt, but with the afl W becoming like a lot.
Speaker 2: Better, yeah, Well, the girls never really had a pathway. They got to under twelve or whatever it was, and there was nothing else for them. And now the girls have a pathway where they could could actually make a career out if that's what they want to do. So yeah, like I said, I've never encouraged it, but if that's what they want to do, i'd yeah, support them all the way. Sorry. The oldest did play one season football got really good, and then she broke her arm falling off a horse, so she said, I don't play football anymore, so you're probably riding a horse. Yeah, but I don't want to hurt myself playing football, so I can't ride more horses. So that's their priority is the horses. And the youngest she does play footy. I was kick she loves it. Doesn't like the cold mornings, but she loves footy and singing like I can barely sing the national anthem, and she's she wants to bust out all these songs. So yeah, they're all very different, very unique, those three. But but yeah, I wouldn't have it any other way.
Speaker 1: I think that's good that they're all unique. Be a bit boring if.
Speaker 2: They it's not good on the afternoon like activity runs. We got horse riding, gymnastics and singing. It's like three different drop off, three different pickups. So yeah, the taxi gets a fair work out.
Speaker 1: For sure. I just wanted to ask this because for me, you were one of my favorite players. For others you were like a pest or a hated player almost. How did that feel being on the receiving end of that? Did it actually have a toll on you? Or did it spur you on?
Speaker 2: Kind of spurred me on a bit, because if I was pissing people off, clearly I was doing my job pretty well. But one other thing, I knew I could back up what I was saying and doing as well. Like I knew I could kick a goal and let everyone know about it. And the other thing, if the pressure and all the hate was directed at me, my teammates got a bit of a free run out of as well I could, and I could take the heat. I actually enjoyed it and thrived off it, Like I remember. I remember we played a game against Carlton and I had a good kick four or five goals and got stuck in the cut and all the crowd like they yelled some funny and I was just boys going right, like just trying to wind them up a bit. But and the same breath I've never had. Like generally people will say I couldn't stand you, but I wish you on my team because they kind of I could see.
Speaker 1: What I could like the ultimate compliment, is it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, one hundred percent, like you know, you're a prick, but was she played for us? So it is it was a compliment. And yeah, and there's lots of keyboard where he's out there like to say things online, but no one has ever said anything to me in the streets.
Speaker 1: So yeah, either they're funny, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Either their pansies or or maybe there might be an element of respect there as well.
Speaker 1: For sure. I just wanted to also talk about this because I vividly remember when Andy Brayshaw got got hit by gaff and then you like you targeted gaff because obviously there needs to be a response from the team. Yeah, what are your memories around that that day?
Speaker 2: I was on the bench actually when it happened, and Lockie Neil said Gash has punched Andy, and I was like, no, I played International Rules with Gaffy and he's actually the most quietest down Look. I don't think you know, you see the punch itself, Like he doesn't even know how to throw a punch. So the fact that he said he punched him, like, no, and I've seen the refarm. Oh my god, I don't think he actually meant to get him in the face. I think he went there, but you know, he still broke his jaw.
Speaker 1: There was like a level of changes. Yea, he was coming down.
Speaker 2: I think it was just a bit unlucky. But it still happened.
Speaker 1: And did that make you like I thought, read?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was our best first year player. Yeah gone, and he's been punched in the face and broken jaw. So yeah, I saw red and I was out for blood. And the halftime or three quarter time siren went, and as we're going back out, I asked Ross, can I get this blow? And I know Ross thought about it. He wanted to say yes. He said no, I don't, just don't do anything, and I didn't listen. I went first sen square bounds. He's the balls just bobbled out and Gaff's coming for it, and I just let up the blined it and I've come in and with a big swing and you see me come and he turned. Instead of getting him where I wanted to, I got his hip and then my thumb still just pops out and you.
Speaker 1: Show the camera. Geez bendy.
Speaker 2: I didn't even like because the adrenaline was pumping a big Meloy starts and we had a big It wasn't a punch on, but it was pretty close. And anyway, the trainers come over and give me a drink. I've gone to square and it wouldn't squeeze. It's because it was just flopping around, so I had to get it strapped up. Finished the game and had a few more cracks at him, but it felt like nothing. Really, I couldn't. You don't want to get suspended and let the team down again, but you want to make a point of you know, we're not coppying that shit. So it wasn't the demo derby I was hoping for, but I kind of wish it was.
Speaker 1: I also, just before we get into the racing part of your life, I just wanted to ask about international rules because that's something that's intrigued to the both of us for so many years. What was that experience like playing for Australia?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Unreal? Unreal? Are You're flying over with the best players in the AFL, like the best I think twenty five went over, yea, twenty four to twenty five went over and you spend two weeks together. You have a week. We actually it was we were pretty lucky. We had a week training camp in New York and then we trained at the Jets facility in the just phenomenal, phenomenal setup, and then flew across the island for another week there with the game in the last couple of days, and then me and my wife stayed for an extra week. But yeah, you're playing with the best players, you know.
Speaker 1: We had.
Speaker 2: Alisa Clarkson was the coach. Chris Scott and Ross Lyne were the assistant coaches. That pretty decent lineup of coaches. And the funny thing about the coaches is those three in particular were so similar in the way they saw the game. They just had different terminologies to different things, but they they just saw it the same and coach very similar, just with different ways of saying things and getting getting their point through. But yeah, the actual game itself, it was three degrees. It was so fucking cold. It was ridiculous. When you're out there playing, it was all right because we had like long sleevers and we run around. It was fine. You get off the ground, they give you this heated jacket and they went to give I said no, no, I'm all good, and then about a minute later bring that jacket over because it was so cold. The hard thing was trying to direct the ball because it's a round ball, so you can direct it footy because it's oval shaped, but a soccer ball you have to get a bit of a spin on it so curves the way you want it to. And that was, yeah, that was a bit of a work on that to try to get the right curve. There was one play I've marked it kind of on the on the it's a rectangle shaped ground, so kind of on the forward flank type thing. I wheeled around and we had a free player and I've like gone to do what I would normally do like a real spear pass, because I didn't put any spin on it. It's spun the other way and it's gone and went the opposite direction. So yeah, trying to get the right spin on the ball was a bit of a challenge that. Yeah, it was an unreal experienced something something I'll never get.
Speaker 1: Some of the Irish players pretty good athletes, but they're built a bit different.
Speaker 2: They are. They're a lot leaner, a lot leaner, very fast, but they don't tackle in their game. They kind of scrag and bump, but they don't act have full tackle, so we had a bit of an advantage in chase downs. We've got a lot of chase down tack because they're not expecting it. It's not natural for them. But I remember the me and Eddie Betts were the small forwards in the game, and we knew that one of the bloke, one of the small defenders, was a MMA fighter. He trained with like Connor McGregor and those guys. And okay, maybe it doesn't come to last a bit to say too much for the game, and of course he lined up with me for the first part, but yeah, and then afterwards they took the Irish boys, took us out for a night on the night on the town and god, these boys can.
Speaker 1: Must have been a good night. They can put some that's awesome. I just wanted to get onto your racing. So you are a race trainer and obviously you said it runs in the family. Your dad was doing this stuff too. Give us, give the listeners because like not all of them love racing, but just let them know what you're about and what you do and what horse training is about.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So I bought my first horse while I was still playing mankind and he was kind of like my little get away from footycause everyone's got something to distract them from footy because it's a big commitment footy, so you need something just to wind down a bit, and he was my little wind down and a few of the few of the boys got involved, a couple of other mates got involved, and he was a great little horse thing. He ended up with eight races and picked up picked up some good money from him, and yeah, I got the bug again. And I was always going to train a few just because I love it and keep an interest, and got eighteen at the moment, so it's a fair, fair team. And yeah, it's just something that is in the blood and love doing it. And it's kind of like you get a lot of adrenaline from playing footy, but it's over a two hour period, where with the race, you know, condensed into like two minutes max. So yeah, the adrenaline rush you get when your horse comes around the bend and starts to let down and goes past first, it's yeah, it must be crazy. Yeah, there's no better feeling. And also the bill like eight week pre season for him and you have a trial that's like your preseason game, pre season game into a into your first race. It's the build up and then when they win, Yeah, it's just a great feeling. And then to see the owners like absolutely love it and get on they've got winners bars now, so have you win a race, you're on the bar and you get until the next winner comes in.
Speaker 1: So this is something we've discussed because we loved going to the races.
Speaker 2: Such a good day it.
Speaker 1: Is men the last couple of years we've gotten into it, and like my family has always been involved in racing in some capacity, but I didn't really grow up around horses, Like we live on property, but we had horses there that weren't race horses or anything, So I didn't know too much about it. And then just through getting closer with Dad in that regard, I've learnt so much and then taken the boys along to Ascot and we'll even go to Belmont a little bit in the winter. But it's just been great and like it's a good day, like as a punter, but also the thrill, like you said, you might not even have any horse in the race, but you the thrill when you hear the horses come around the bend. It's just it's something unbelievable. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I've been involved in racing my whole life, and even so Belmont you can actually stand like two hundred meter mark and you can hear them coming. You hear the jockey scream and should I get that bit extra out of their horse? Like even I get goosebumps listening to that. Like it's just, yeah, it's an unreal feeling. Unless you're in it and love it, you can't really understand it. But if you do want to get into it, like I guarantee you, if you have a winner, there'll be no better feeling.
Speaker 1: A couple questions sent in from my dad, Actually, who is your favorite jockey in Australia at the moment. It doesn't just have to be Perth just in general.
Speaker 2: Tash faith for the moment. She had a winner for me last week, so she's my favorite. Everyone talks about how good Pike he is, like he was he rode a couple of winners yesterday and he just doesn't panic. There was a horse that got you know, three or four lengths out in front of him leading the race. He just he just knew he had plenty of horse left and waited and waited, waited two hundred, gave a little kick and it just went past. Like when you watch a wizard as they call him at work. It's yeah, it's pretty it's pretty impressive.
Speaker 1: Our favorite jockey is Lucy Fiori at the moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she rides a bit for me too. Yeah, she's gone well.
Speaker 3: She saved the day for us once the last race was the feeling was ridiculous.
Speaker 1: But her season, this race season has been unreal, Like she's placing in a lot of races and seems to be doing really well. So you've worked a bit with her. What was she like?
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's a good, very good horse person. Like her family. Again, her family, the Warwicks, they've they've been in racing forever, so she was brought up around horses, so she's always had that good core of riding in her. And she I think Louis started riding a lot more race She's going to Calgooley and riding in all these races, and I sluck anything. The more you do, the more in tune you are. And now she's now she's flying, riding in I think she wrote five last couple of weeks ago. At Ascot, Like that's that's like, that's like kicking a bag six or seven really if you ride in five winners. So yeah, she's she's flying, but she's put the hard work in to get to there, so well deserved. And her husband he just got his license a couple of years ago and trained a couple of winners, so now they've got a They've got a good little set up down there.
Speaker 1: Who are some of your other favorite Perth jockeys are the ones that you click with and work with best in Perth.
Speaker 2: Jared Noski He's another one I used quite a bit. He's he so he rode our Perth Cup winner talent show and I think he only just finished his apprenticeship when he wrote that, like he was quite young. And yeah, he's he's a very good jock. I use him as much as I can. Stevie Partner he's another one. He rides a bit for me. Yeah that Patty Carve Hero one for me yesterday. But yeah, it's certain horses respond to certain people as well. Like Lucy, she rode Sentimental Queens. She's probably my best horse. He rode her a lot and really responded to Lucy's same as Planet Cash wrote he won. He won quite a bit of money as well, Like certain horses respond to certain jockeys at the same time, where yeah, just about every horse responds to Pikey. That's why he's what he is who he is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, would you say pike is the best in w.
Speaker 2: A, probably the best in Australia to be honest, But for his strike rate, you know, I know they talk about Jmack and guys like that and how and I don't get me wrong, Chmack's super Stowe himself. But whatever, stupid number of group ones he's one. It's ridiculous. But you know, Pikey the two hundred and forty six winners in a season like that's yeah, that's just unbelievable. So yeah, he's all bit. He gets a lot of the better horses.
Speaker 1: But you get that through being good though, But.
Speaker 2: Then it's another thing to get the best horse, another thing to get it to win. Generally, he gets them to win. Bob Peters, he's probably the biggest owner breeder in w A. He said to me once he goes all jockeys make mistakes, William just makes less.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: I was like, Okay, that's actually a pretty good point, William makes less.
Speaker 1: What about the best horses that you have that you're training at the moment, like one's to look out for.
Speaker 2: So Countess Kenna, she's the one that won last week. She's she's been a late matures. Your four year old now, had a few little issues, had a little chip in her knee that we had taken out a while ago. But she won a race all bits only a made Pinjarra. The way she won her was, yeah, pretty pretty solid. So I reckon she's one that's going to go good. I can't up Queen shern third yesterday. Yeah, we're going to put her to a fourteen next start. She's she's going.
Speaker 1: To be good.
Speaker 2: She was also ever board. Actually so really funny that the cheap ones can also win races. And I got a little two year old Philly painted red. She's she trilled. She's had two trials time in one, both of them sorry second and the first one first and the second one. And yeah, she's going to be pretty special. She's a little bit sore today, little bit shinsaw, but give her a month often I think she'll be winning some races soon, hopefully.
Speaker 1: Beautiful And do you have a message for those who like don't agree with racing or something, because we've had listeners go, oh, why are you talking about that.
Speaker 3: We talk about it a lot because we love going out. But there's obviously the pushback that you get.
Speaker 1: There's also misconceptions. So can you just give a little bit on that, like what your thoughts on like the good parts of the industry and what is misconstrued.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so the way I'd see it, horses my horses, definitely, and I know the horses in the industry. I treated better than some people are treated. They get three square meals a day, they get the ship picked up for them, they get the clean water. Yeah, they go in the paddick for an hour a day, pick on grass. They're very massage physio. If they're sick, they get treatment, if they're sore, they get treatment. They are very well looked after because in our best interest, we want to win races. So the better we look after them, the better they're going to perform. And they're athletes, like they're athletes. Their bread, their bread, their bread for a job, and their job is to run fast. And we want them all to run fast. Not all of them do, but we retired one not long ago. My daughter has him now and he's a show jumper. He's the prettiest show jumper you'll ever see. And he's fat as a house and loving life in the paddock and a horse that's sound as a nice nature. We'll live a long, happy life. They live, I'm not I can't remember all the numbers, but they live I think double the double the years than if they're out in the wild because they're so well looked after. And then also like there's always going to be it falls and injuries, but it is, it's part of the game. It is part of it. And albeit they're minimized, there's a lot of safety safety things that tracks need to tick off. If there is an issue race the called off straight away, like if there's an issue with the track, there's lightning, if there's any even heat, yeah, heat heat, and I agree with it, Like you don't want to put because you want your horse to be good for the next race if they're going to race in forty degree heat and you fry them and they're no good for a month, and it's no good for us either. So you want to look after the horse because in their best interest for them to go again, and like you, if you have a horse that doesn't want to do it. I think the best example would be Chataqua, my favorite horse, one of my favorite horses. He was a superstar. I've never seen a horse make up ground like that thing. And then he just decided, I don't do this anymore, stop jumping out the barriers. Ye bank, no mate, Now he's the same. He's a champion hack that just goes around and hacking, looks pretty and wins all these ribbons now, not races and living a good life. So if someone kicked up a stink about it, I'd say, go to a stable, see how well looked after these horses are, and that doesn't change his mind. And I know I look after my athletes very well looked after.
Speaker 1: And I saw a few of the Frio boys part owners or they were in Mankind's. Are they any of the three boys on anything now or ex players?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So Alex Pierce, he's in playing god Gelding. We bought last year Locky nils in on that actually got your position in on one too. The Wardman Boys Chris Wardon, Chris Wardman being my old coach and he's young boat. They jumped on board. They got a share in that as well. So yeah, we've got a fair mix of ex players in now current players.
Speaker 1: Now let's talk about your fight. You know we tease it to the listeners before you're fighting Brent Harvey. I just want to go through a few notes here. It's a new boxing promotion. The only other one is at Metro City in Perth, Premiere fight Night. We've got it's a pro am so you've got professionals, you've got amateurs. A show like this hasn't been done in eight years. Obviously you're fighting Brent Harvey, a former North Melbourne player. Seven pro fights, nine elite amateur fights. It's going to be elite. We've got even got Shadow the Rapper, he's doing some work there. And obviously it's for a good cause. So it's for mental health. Do you want to talk a little bit about the cause and then we'll go into the fight. You'll lead up stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so the charity that will be fundraising for is you're at a Hero for mental Health. So you know it's selfishly. I got into it because give me a good excuse to get fit again, get into some sort of shape. But at the same time, we're raising some money for a very good cause, and even in the AFL, like there's a lot of stories that going on recently that it's what really needed in the community, not just abroad, but in the AFL as well. So yes, I'm pumped to be involved. When I first agreed to it, I said, I said, yeah, I'll raise some money for the charity, and a couple of weeks later, I got the full Rundown RAC six than Jesus that big. But yeah, I'm super excited now and training has been solid, but I'm feeling like I'm in pretty good shape.
Speaker 1: Only a couple of weeks out. Now, what are you going to do to him?
Speaker 2: I said this on a other podcast the other day. I've pre booked him the ambulance for a round two, so that was a little bit of cheap for it. But now he's been training pretty hard as well. He's trained for a while in not so much sparring for a fight, but just just for fitness really, So he seems like he can throw a few. But yeah, I know I've got pretty good hands.
Speaker 1: As well, throwing better. Yeah, like I said, you've been training for a long time and having that like concentrated time. Now are you putting your all into it? Yeah, it must be good.
Speaker 2: I've built up a good base early like doing that. I trained down in Mandra fighter fit down a Mandra and they they're renowned for their their fitness like they they go the whole way like their their animals. And it actually gave me an appreciation for what, you know, just the amateur fighters do to get up for a fight, Like, God, they trained so hard. There's one of the boys from there, Aaron Fury. He just he's leaving for America today to go represent Australia. And like the training he does, like he's a big man, and god, he trains trains hard. We were running together and he was going all right for a big guy he was, he was, he's a good runner. Rory Booth, he's another one trains. He's got Olympic aspirations. And Yeah, to see them go to work and get fit, it's it's it's pretty bloody impressive and they're doing it for the love. But Rory won his fight last fight. I went and watched Rory won his fight and he goes, yeah, won sixty bucks. So all this training they fund them and that they do. They get a bit of sponsorship here and there, but it's all funded by himself and he was Stokes. He won sixty bucks, cost me forty five to get in for the fight.
Speaker 1: And we've also got some proper profiles Here've got the main event, Per's very own w A boxing Jackson England Verus Sydney, gay Lane Taylor for the IBF PAN Pacific Belt. Then the co main event Ben Innis and Richard Lockett local boys for the a MBF Australasian Belt. So plenty of stuff there. Obviously, the great Ryan Kong and James Lindley are the promoters. We've got two weeks to go. It's going to be great. Do you have any any final messages for Boomer?
Speaker 2: Get ready? Son? Get ready? Like you will see what the roof of r C looks like.
Speaker 1: Have you picked a walkout song at all?
Speaker 2: I have say that okay, that quiet? Okay?
Speaker 1: Keep yeah right.
Speaker 3: So obviously you wanted to fight an next West Coast player. I think I heard on the radio throwing names like Ben Cousins around people like that.
Speaker 1: No one came to the to the party.
Speaker 2: No, no, So obviously because of the past instances, I first wanted to call that gap. I said, the boys get on a gas. Yeah yeah, yeah, Benny cousin. I rang Benny and just said, what do you reckoned? But he had shoulder surgery a few months ago and the ser said, noah ma, he just fright.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: We hit up everyone similar weight and height and was actually Mark Lakra showed a bit of interest, but he's up north doing his fishing show, so he was he was ruled out.
Speaker 1: It would have been a good one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Smalls. Yeah, we actually on the field we used to go at each other pretty hard because he's got a bit of shit in him too, but off the field, like he's actually a good fella. We've we've done a few of functions together. But yeah, it's like crossing the crossing the white line at footy once you get in the ring, mates.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a job almost like all respect goes out the window, and too after the fight there's another respect.
Speaker 2: It's more like the nice, the nice. I'm not I'm not your friend. When I was on the field, I'm not their friend. I'm there to win a game. I'll shake out half of the game, but until then, I want to hurt you. You probably want to hurt me. Same as in the ring, gloves are on, let's it's on, let's let's dance.
Speaker 1: Do you reckon? It's in your favor that it's in your own backyard, it's in Perth.
Speaker 2: Oh not really, It's just a ring like same as footing. It's just a footy O. If you if you try and if you think of it that way, you're just trying to make an excuse. Really, So does.
Speaker 1: It get you up and about fighting in front of a crowd rather than just inspiring in the gym.
Speaker 2: Maybe when I get there, it'll probably I'll probably get a couple of butterflies. But I never used to get nervous because I used to prepare well and I think I'm prepared really well for this, Like I trained hard and I'm pretty pretty fit, so I think, yeah, I never really get nervous for games. I used to hate driving to the game. I just needed to to get Once I got there, I was calm, I was sweet, I'm there, not going be late. I can get on the ground, get you know, touch touch the grass on my feet and feel good. But yeah, they're getting Just just get me there, get me there, and I'll do the.
Speaker 1: Rest after this fight, would there be any opportunity to do another? Or do you reckon you?
Speaker 2: I've actually been hit up by a couple of people. But we'll just get through this one first. Get through this.
Speaker 1: See how we go through the wind? Yeah? I like it. Unfortunately we can't be there. We're down south for Dealer's birthday. We would love to have come.
Speaker 2: But live streaming and live streaming it well, pop it on live stream from one of the wineries. Here you go.
Speaker 1: That sounds good. We will be actually going down probably on that day.
Speaker 2: Actually, it's funny about live stream little story. I took my the youngest daughter. She kind of misses out. She gets dragged a pony club and gym. She actually said something one day. I said, what do you want to do? Oh, you tell me and we'll go do whatever you want to do. Is I want to go to Bali's. Actually got good cheap flights and went over to Bali and my horse was racing that weekend and we went to Atlantis. I think it's called the Speech Club because there was the Bali Gecko has had a big tournament. Cool, So we went down there.
Speaker 1: A few beers.
Speaker 2: I said, what do you reckon you? Reckon they can get the races up on the big you know, the big screen above the pool. So we had Calgoley races up in the pool and it kept cutting out and he hit the front with about two hundred ago. He won the race and the yeah, the fucking live stream cut out. But then afterwards the price come up.
Speaker 1: That would have been a good day. It was.
Speaker 2: It was so good like live racing from Calgooley.
Speaker 1: That's a I love that hat. Just before we wrap up, we've got one question we asked all of our Yes, this it's a pretty loaded question, but how would you like to be remembered.
Speaker 2: Someone that never took a backward step?
Speaker 1: I love that. I love that. I think that's been proven. That's probably the most short, sharp and just cut to the chase answer we've had, and I love it. Yeap, cheers.
Speaker 2: That's that's what I'm That's what I like. Don't shy away from anything.
Speaker 1: I love that backward steps. Thank you very much, thanks for coming on, and yeah, I hope you enjoyed it. Guys. Cheers, cheers,