Speaker 1: The launch of sird Nichols Rounds comes with a vision for the top ends and a reminder of the reality our indigenous players still face.
Speaker 2: Really really determined to return to play for Port Adelaide this Saturday, as the AFL addresses its role in his suspension, Travis bog to join us and.
Speaker 1: Will turn Raiser's Edge to the state of umpiring and whether a philosophical rethink is in order.
Speaker 3: We've talked about, is this step into it, embrace all.
Speaker 1: Of it in the room and Paton it's unedifying for a senior coach to do that.
Speaker 4: They're on the side of Cautia with the brain, take the man on.
Speaker 1: They played the best footy I've ever seen at the start of the season, and Andy said, president left the cup.
Speaker 4: I order said, of course they do. It is the stuff that legends are made of. What is holding the ball?
Speaker 5: I don't think I could answer it clearly right now that I can do something wrong, you know, And I need to get on the board sexually.
Speaker 6: The fans lover and with no fans, no through sixty.
Speaker 4: Year old.
Speaker 1: The angles of Tuesday nights coming before us.
Speaker 3: Did you bump into ray on the land?
Speaker 7: I did, and he's not happy with you, Jared. It's fair to say the three sixty family is about to fracture. You calling for a sacking of everyone on the weekend in the empiring fraternity is riled the champ up.
Speaker 4: So he's kind of coming hot. Got a good carried away there. I loved it away all right.
Speaker 1: Here's always got lined up for you tonight. The aftermath of the showdown will flavor our players segment. Travis Boke missed. That's a rare showdown that he's missed. And Ben Keys they've got the bragging rights in town. The Crows ray chambon with Raises Edge and some real aw overreaction and there's plenty of both, I think it's fair to say. And then they write for the back page. They're on the midweek Tackle. Lauren Wood leads the team with Josh Barnes and John Ralph. The latest in footy news Tomorrow night, Simo and Horse, what have they seen from the weekend's footy that they will make us smarter?
Speaker 3: With John Longmar and Adam Simpson.
Speaker 1: Tony Armstrong will be here as we walk into Sir Doug Nichols round with a broader conversation and we'll have the teams as Darwin is the starting point for it. All our Tuesdays start with a favorite.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and Darwin for me as well. One of I was alerted this. I didn't shert live. One of my trusted six pointed this out to me, and I loved it. Will Graham game about to go on the line. Western Bulldog's charging. Lad have a look at this effort. Jared sticks his arm out, hurts himself badly. Next reaction, throw yourself on the grenade. That is what's the wounded job.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 7: The normal person is sitting down thinking they've got a month off holiday off work here, and his first reaction is to go, no, don't stand there and think how bad is my arm? His natural reaction is to go, no, let me throw that arm back into the field of battle and just get.
Speaker 4: An arm in there.
Speaker 3: It Matt Johnny Noble.
Speaker 4: Look at that. He goes into the he goes into the into the into the favorites list.
Speaker 3: On the back of that.
Speaker 4: That is beautiful work. So I love that.
Speaker 3: What about you?
Speaker 1: Well, every parent has been in here sitting waiting, where are the damn kids?
Speaker 4: Where are the damn kids?
Speaker 1: This actually just put a smile on my face when I wasn't feeling the love necessarily at this point in time. But Cody and Joey so just sneaking off in the background as the grown ups are heading down to sing the song, and they're tasting victory for the first time at anfl level. So everyone's waiting, waiting, no self, He's got to keep the people happy.
Speaker 4: Everyone's Karen brings it.
Speaker 3: Where are the damn kids? Try to sing the song?
Speaker 4: Yea, they said no.
Speaker 7: I signed a couple more here and I can't ignore the special fans on the way through.
Speaker 4: Sarah's beautiful. What sort of reaction We're going to get.
Speaker 3: Nothing but love? Where the hell have you to get in in?
Speaker 4: Get a drowning on the back of that.
Speaker 7: So the TikTok numbers are up, Instagram numbers are up. They might have got a couple of nibbles, and away they go.
Speaker 1: Cody Ango and Joey Delana immediate favorites.
Speaker 4: Boys. It was a great start, all right.
Speaker 3: Let's get in the end of the agenda.
Speaker 1: At the top of it, we head to the top end throughout the Willy Rooli saga. Last week we hadn't heard from AFL officials in their decision making. So at the launch of Sir Doug Nichols Round today, the chief executive Andrew Dillon, faced those questions.
Speaker 6: First of all, you acknowledge Willy that Hope is going okay, and I know that he's getting support from the Players Association in Port Adelaide, So say that first of all, and I think secondly, yes, you're right. We want to have environments where everyone can be the best that they can be and will continue. We've done a lot of work in this area, but there would appear that there's still more work to do and we know that, and we acknowledge that.
Speaker 8: Oh, it's definitely obviously a problem. And I think there's always going to be a problem no matter what in society and people you know, behind the keyboards and talking and you know, you always get a cop cop hate no matter what I reckon. But definitely as a country are getting better, but there's o a long way to go.
Speaker 9: And how concerned are you that we could lose the player with the realisty game.
Speaker 7: And lost players before earlier than we'd like to to the game of football.
Speaker 4: How worried are you.
Speaker 3: That we could lose Willy because of some of these factors.
Speaker 6: Yeah, look, I'd hope that's not the case. And that's why the support that Willy has got from Port Adelaide, the Players Association.
Speaker 3: Is really important.
Speaker 6: And then I hope that you know, when Willy's back on the field, he gets the ability to show the talent that he has, but also get the benefits of the hard work that I know he's had. I remember Willy when he was at school back in Melbourne. He's done so much hard work to get to where he is and I hope he continues to thrive.
Speaker 1: So the first thing to say is Willi Rioli from what we hear from Port Adelaide, is ready to resume and we'll ask Travis spoke this so he removed himself from the circumstances as they swirled and engulfed him last week. That was before the suspension was laid down. He couldn't have played in the showdown anyway. And then this's broken a few different directions. Is the AFL allowed the off field and the on field to conflate and came up with it judgment there and Port Adelaide went to great lengths I think to share with us. And this is the spirit of the week, isn't it? Are we open minded and open hearted enough to listen to what the modern reality is for our indigenous players. We know in the past it used to be on field and from those they will say to us that that has largely dissipated. What comes from the off field and what comes from the social media environment.
Speaker 3: Are we prepared to listen to that?
Speaker 4: Well, we've got to.
Speaker 7: We experience this every day, you and I at the cold face of supporter basis through our radio work, and it's immediate and it's instantaneous feedback whenever you bring the subject up. And I don't know whether it's the vocal minority. I hope it is, But I'm not overly optimistic that we are going to be able to control everything within the footy domain. So what can we control is our playing cartel and our clubs, and we've got to get better at that, Jared, I think from my own personal experience and what I've been a part of in the past, part of a problem of which I was a part of it, and to where it is today, I've seen substantial steps being taken by players, clubs and media in trying to understand it perfect not no way. It will still be debated and there'll still be missteps. It's outside of that is where I'm seeing the problem. And I'm not saying that everyone in society by any stretched imagination, but we get it anecdotally. I see it every day and it doesn't cut through. Some of the things that Chris Davies was trying to enunciate in explaining the problem was just seized upon by some as excuse making, just flat out excuse making, and no correlation between that and what will he went through. And I'm not excusing Willy's behavior either. He's been an angry man for a little while, but then you've got to understand why, and then the behavior is associated to it. So we're going to control us. And that is the footy, the footy family. And if you want to be part of the footy family, broader family of which the supporters are absolutely at the top of the tree, well you've got to get on board. And if you don't, I don't know what the consequences are. I don't know how you monitor and police it. So you can just keep appealing to everyone's best intention to have the best intentions. But anecdotally, Darren o'd worried. I don't see the change as much as I'd like to. Maybe that's just as these boys have pointed out. I think bird Hill just said the cutlass and the faceless and the anonymous. Others can disagree with it, by the way, Yeah, you know that there can be a good argument and debate about it in trying to understand it. But there is, hopefully it's a very small minority that don't.
Speaker 1: So Chris Davis tried to share why is Willing angry and that's part of the observations, and it's not just in one week, but over a period of time, and why does he react in the manner that he does. So for the playing cohort, there's a question what we might see is harmless. Taunting around body shape is not harmless. The playing group prepared to take that on just to listen and to understand and then maybe to moderate their behavior from there. And I thought the second element for the broader conversation was to speak about the racism that Rioli is subjected to and that other players are subjected to as a reaction to something that the players have done. Rather than it been endemic, this is the reality that they face day on day on day, and to live your life braced against that is for us to have some empathy and understanding for that, and then to integrate that into the way we think we.
Speaker 3: Admire these plays, we celebrate them.
Speaker 1: But this week is not as simple as putting these beautiful guernseys on and the footy world going look look how far we've come with indigenous players, and look what they've contributed to the game. It has a deeper meaning after the events of last week.
Speaker 3: I think it does.
Speaker 7: And we have Edy Bets as part of their family, who speak so passionately about the issues. So through him we've gone into even a greater understanding, even greater than I as a player, having spoken to teammates of my own and as I said, I keep put my hand up as being part of that problem in the past twenty five thirty years ago. And I don't know how comfortable these boys are about talking. Eddie he's got to the stage where he's really comfortable about it. Adam had tried to be. They get shot down so aggressively that they don't want to stick well, I'm sure they do want to put their head up and say, hey, this is where it's at but it's such an aggressive reaction that I would love Willy really to feel comfortable to come in here with maybe with Chris Davies, and we could take half of our show to just talk about it. But I don't know whether that will is at that, and I know what some of the instantaneous reaction will be. You know, you're trying to justify behaviors and everything.
Speaker 3: I know we're not.
Speaker 7: We're trying to and then you get ah, you're preaching, you Gary, you what would you know you're are? I'm just trying to understand it. I've learned, Jared. I'm not perfect, but I've learned, so I feel like I've been through it. And again for those who think I'm I want to be clean skin, No, I was a problem as a player back in an era where this was the start of it. So I am trying just to understand it more and more and more. And all you can do is appeal to everyone to try and get their head around that.
Speaker 3: So really hadn't mean it's misdemeanor.
Speaker 1: He's been punished appropriately for that with a one game suspension. I would hope that his return to football is a positive experience. And I don't feel absolutely confident about it.
Speaker 3: It will be in the home from the playing cartel.
Speaker 7: I hope for everybody, well, I don't well, I hope, of course, I hope. Am I confident that there won't be I don't know. I wish I could say definitively look come back in. Really, the players I think are going to get their heads around it. The broader footy family will. But are we expecting too much for everyone?
Speaker 1: It's the tenth edition of Sir Doug Nichols Round. One of the lovely additions has been an honoree honoring an indigenous player from the past. This man is thought by many from the West to be the best who never came over and.
Speaker 3: Played in the VFL.
Speaker 1: He is revered through his career at South Fremantle. This year's honoree is Stephen Michael.
Speaker 10: It's a great thrill, great honor and from a little town encourage up well, I come from his unbelievable Where I'm going at the moment I want to say about I'm going. I'm nearly seventy years of age. Next step maybe in the bloody coffin.
Speaker 4: Or something like that.
Speaker 10: But I'm just very proud to be recognized as Sir Dug Nicholas surround.
Speaker 4: It's a great thrill in my life. And you know we do.
Speaker 10: Players don't ask to be these types of people. This comes along because you want to do the best that you can. So you know, I'm very humble for and Dawen very humble to hit all from Fotty Club and Stanne forty Club space. It's a great strill for me.
Speaker 1: One of his next steps is going to be to join us in the studio next week. So two times Sandover medallist, he was the All Australian captain in nineteen eighty three, which was a phenomenal achievement at the time. He's an a Hall of Famer back from almost right.
Speaker 3: At the start.
Speaker 7: Well, I hope when he comes in next week we can dig up some vision and those state games and he's played in just so those that I've heard the name and seen a little bit, but his name is revered throughout footy circles. Sammy Newman and all those types of players to talk about him and I listen. But if we can show our audience, our new generation, just how good a footballer this valor is, then it'd be an education well worth indulging in. So it'd be great to meet him. It'll be fantastic to meet him next week when he comes in here. This is footy Royalty here.
Speaker 1: It is indeed, so Thursday night in dah and the starting point for Sir Dog Nichols round the second of the two matches. The Sun's staged there. It's a big week for footy in Dawen with the aspirations that they have. So the Full Commission went and met on Monday in the Northern Territory and had various experiences around the football community and the communities more broadly. There have been meetings with governments and we know that there is a task force in place that is doing the groundwork to see if they might be the twentieth license, Should they continue on, should they feel optimistic?
Speaker 3: Here was the boss today.
Speaker 6: That's the work that the a f L N T and the NT task Force are doing at the moment. And as I said, if we give you, if the base is right and we're seeing unprecedented growth in participation in the Northern Territory, as I said before, incredible rates of participation overall and particularly with women. The work then is to make sure that we've got a business case that sits behind the team that allows it to thrive through the cycles that any team will go through during the Outdeld competition.
Speaker 1: So that's encouragement to continue. Read that optimism about optimism, but encouragement to continue and make the case slightly and j okay, definite enough open minded to it.
Speaker 7: They've got good people involved in that workforce you've talked about, so they get the work will be good.
Speaker 1: And what I do know is we won't stay at an odd number of teams for many years.
Speaker 4: Well if it's not historign territory, where is it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and the Northern Territory is doing all the work.
Speaker 4: First they got there. They've got their nose in front.
Speaker 1: So go hard, go hard, all right, the furnace like you've unlocked the idea that every coach has got a little bit of a talkback caller's.
Speaker 4: Got to give them the forum.
Speaker 3: Give them the forum.
Speaker 4: We've got them here.
Speaker 7: We've got all aiden coaches here and if they've gone So it's been outstanding today and it's instigated a lot of the bait.
Speaker 3: That has bug bears and hobby horses in the furnace.
Speaker 11: You can't turn back the clock, but in the Poddy you can. There's a few rules that change that I'd like to change.
Speaker 9: Back, can I have two?
Speaker 5: The first one double up games only worth two points, So your first double up game, if you win it, you get two. If you're losing the second one, zero points, or you've got to win the double to get your four.
Speaker 9: The sub so we got a fit plat that's that month sitting on the bench can't come on. There's certainly an impact when you need them to. You've got on spend time throughout a game strategically when you're going to when you're going to pull it. So my thing is you have five there, you just play five.
Speaker 11: The flat hons on the back right. It was a few years ago flat hands on the back was an automatic frigick against Now the poor our lumpis have to adjudicate whether it's undue forced with the pushes a dog's breakfast.
Speaker 5: And the other one that need is to take the incorrect technique out.
Speaker 3: Of the game.
Speaker 5: We've got to stop encouraging, you know, especially with what's happening with CT and the concussion protocols.
Speaker 3: We've got to.
Speaker 5: Stop players leading with their head you know, the one thing we have to discourage that that form of motion. Players have got to be encouraged to have the correct technique.
Speaker 9: The pre finals buy for mine should go before the Grand final. The top four teams that have spent the duration of the season being the best teams should get the best chance to proceed through the finals as they goss the pre finals buy has come in the differential space so great.
Speaker 11: At the moment, we've got this ridiculous situation where they're all careless because almost nothing's intentional. Version that's reckless. Same that's reckless, and the careless is like one week or even suspended one week. And that's what Paul Curtis.
Speaker 4: Should have got.
Speaker 9: Grand final finals and then regular season are different So just play it out. Maybe e've been throwing a golden goal or something on.
Speaker 4: The golden goal as well well.
Speaker 5: Either's like could just keep it going, no soar and goes until the next golden goal or therese are gont know there's some.
Speaker 3: Form of recognition.
Speaker 5: We've got this ridiculous thing on the sideline where men hold up one minute, two minutes, three minutes, swings.
Speaker 4: Just get them to hold up a golden goal.
Speaker 5: Sign if we can to get it up and going.
Speaker 3: Thanks Jared, Thanks, Yeah, I have a hardship. We've push Damien Harvick a little further. The countdown clock might have been on.
Speaker 1: His mind too, but a bit of reel overaction. Golden goal would be fun.
Speaker 3: Be cool overaction.
Speaker 7: It would be cool, but it can't work, Jared, because it would work at Marvel Stadium.
Speaker 4: And that's about it.
Speaker 7: I mean, you imagine down in Tazzy if that game was down there and it was a howling breeze and they'd kick six goals to none in the last quarter, and Damian Hardwick's kicking.
Speaker 4: Into the breeze and they go golden goal.
Speaker 7: It's not putting his hand up for golden goal on the back of that, but it is just so good to hear the coaches and voices and they're all, as you say, they all want something to say.
Speaker 4: Dimmer. This.
Speaker 7: I needed you to go to work as my head blew up. Dimmer's double up game idea has merit real or over.
Speaker 1: Well, I think because it's convoluted in the way that people are trying to understand it. It's an over reaction. So I thought we'd do the work right redo last year's fixture by applying the double up games. So there's four points up for grabs in every pairing. If you play twice, it's two points in one game and two points in the next game. So to get your full four you have to beat your opponent twice. You can split them too two. If there's a drawer, it might end up being three to one. So this is how it would look if you ran Damien Hardwick system all the way through. And there is significant change. Is Geelong come out of the top four and Brisbane go in Giants rice, so you get a different set of matchups for the qualifying finals. And then you look at bit the Melbourne are the big riser. The hell yes, so everyone sheds points, Collingwood down, but Melbourne shed fewer.
Speaker 3: Points on the double.
Speaker 4: So I could give it the whole spreadshut.
Speaker 7: Sam will already be playing for North Melbourne on the basis of this as well, because the wooden spoon gets flipped around as well. But the bottom line is the eight stays the same. It's just some maneuverings into Yes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the top four is the big change there.
Speaker 1: It's crazy. You can't reuse the sub for a concussion.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's real.
Speaker 7: That just makes sense, And I think that is one of those ones where it's a contentious issue anyway, the sub and if you do pull the sub, as they did with steel side bottom of minutes later, Lucky Shiltz cops this, then I think it's just because if it's introduced so that you can have a basic four and steel side and whips the T shirt off and comes back on it plays again. I think that's that's something that they should be looking at. I'm made, well, I don't know where they are because they've been pretty wedded to the four and the sub, haven't they.
Speaker 3: They haven't been.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this would be a neat little adjustment in the spirit of how it all started.
Speaker 4: Compromise, isn't it.
Speaker 1: I think it's a good compromise and it would only happen six times a year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you can't manipulate it.
Speaker 7: You can't just pull a concussion because you end up not playing the next week.
Speaker 4: It empirical measures, all those things work pretty well.
Speaker 7: The pre finals by doesn't help the top four.
Speaker 3: Real reaction, Yeah, that's real.
Speaker 1: It's a design to dilute the advantages that the top four had and it's absolutely done that. This is well documented. We've run it through the years. Is the instances of straight sets, which were historically rare over a long period of time, have become commonplace. Premierships have been one from outside the top four by the Bulldogs and the Lions. Teams have made Grand finals. So this is the actual idea is to dilute the stronghelth. The trouble is we play twenty three games along the way to establish an order, and it used to be that you had to win the right to a week off for the freshen up, and that was.
Speaker 3: The best advantage you can get.
Speaker 1: Now everyone gets the freshen up, and the problem has been the double break has brought teams undone on their way to the Grand finals.
Speaker 4: Are you for it now?
Speaker 3: I've hated it from the moment of suggestion. Yep. Move it before the.
Speaker 1: Grand Final and then adjust the calendar to provide the build up to that. And he's right. Is the first time we get a high profile concussion in the men's game. We've already had it in the women's The first time it happens in the men's game.
Speaker 3: To watch this change, that is true.
Speaker 1: The definition of docer madness is doing the same thing over and over.
Speaker 7: Well, this is real and that's been one of the frustrations i'd imagine for Freemantle, Docker supporters and a whole host of clubs that keep going to watch their team play, keep watching them win the inside fifty count and just keep watching them turn the footy over. So when you look at these Jared, so they go inside fifty sixty two times, which is twenty eight more than their opposition. Yet the opposition has eight more marks inside forward fifty and the innocen marks are twenty twenty eight to three or something. I haven't got here, but it's Cameron four more for Frampton three. Have a look at this one.
Speaker 4: Which you're about to see. I missed it. You know.
Speaker 7: One of them was the Darcy Cameron on the young boy Reid who just playing a game. So in the end you've got and this is with Tracy Amos, Darcy and or Jackson. So there's an issue there. First of all, massive problem. Then they're not getting to the right spot. They've wont center clearance as well, twenty to eight, so they're getting a six six six set up. They can set up any way they want at center bounds, so they still aren't able to take advantage of that. They've taken six marks from sixty two entries. Three of them were in the first five minutes, and three of them were to Dudley, the littlest feller in the Ford fifty. So in the end you've got to change your approach, and I just I can't work out.
Speaker 4: You go, I keep kicking it and it keeps coming back.
Speaker 7: Why do not they kick it to the ground, Jared, I know this sounds like under twelve foot, But if you keep doing it and Darcy Moore keeps market or Darcy Cameron keeps make it get time to set up and rebound, kick it to a fifty to fifty along the ground. At worse, you got a fifty to fifty four. At least if they get the ball, they win position. They're under pressure as you can tackle them. You might fluke a bounce, you might get one going your way. The bad news is for freemail. They lost groundble.
Speaker 4: Inside the Ford fifty as well.
Speaker 3: Have a feeling port did it once?
Speaker 7: I reckon There's been a couple that have flirted with it, But why it doesn't Oh okay, kicking it up?
Speaker 4: Oh okay, kicking it up, do something different.
Speaker 3: You're thinking like a coach.
Speaker 1: I actually Simo and Horse are along this path tomorrow.
Speaker 4: I'm happy to go. Yes, I've got it right. The game is too long, Jared, Real or over reaction is not a question.
Speaker 1: This is a statement what I wanted to ask you. So put the numbers up because it is getting ridiculous.
Speaker 3: It's two and a half minutes longer this year than it was last year.
Speaker 4: There's a creep.
Speaker 1: There is a project to be done here. Before you hack into game time. There is a project to be done here. What I wanted to send back to you was Dave Matthews, the chief executive of the Giants, said the game needs to be shorter to appease and attract the Sydney market.
Speaker 3: Is this a step forward.
Speaker 7: That has set back the cause of the shortening of the game ten years, saying that they want to shorten the game because the Sydney market. I ain't getting any support here in Victoria. I'm running up against the title.
Speaker 3: They're really interesting nothing, but there are leavers to pull.
Speaker 7: I want them to do the project in the off season, in the game up here, do the work.
Speaker 4: Come on, man, is Travis.
Speaker 1: Boke in the aftermath of the showdown. We're heading to Adelaide to join our players.
Speaker 3: Next applications