Speaker 1: I'll get a team. It's you project, it's Patrick. It's my favorite. He's back and it's my other favorite tip. They're both back. It's like the fucking wall of favorites. As I look at my I was going to say, TV screen. That's how old I'm It's like a TV screen, isn't it. It's like something from the seventies. They've really evolved, haven't they look at them? What with the wireless and everything? Hello, Patrick, how are.
Speaker 2: You let me dial my rotary dial phone and we'll connect on the phone.
Speaker 1: Yes, let's do that. I'll send my carrier pigeon over to you, just to inform you of what's going on. With a note and it's God.
Speaker 2: I was talking to someone about writing handwriting letters. I love writing cards to people, and it's one of those things to receive a written note these days.
Speaker 3: It's so unique. I'm good, by the way, thank you for asking, how are you?
Speaker 1: I'm good? Thank you? Tiff? What do you think the writing the like with a pen? As I'm holding up a pen just like Tiff would no unless I fucking held one. I don't know why I'm doing this visual prompt, but nonetheless I'm still doing it that's.
Speaker 2: Getting close to your eye, mate, be careful, don't take yourself in the eye with that.
Speaker 1: Come on, yeah, thanks mom. If what do you think the chances of the younger generation being able to use one of these in ten years is like, do you think we'll still have children in schools writing on paper with pens or that will be obsolete.
Speaker 4: It's interesting, isn't it. Maybe it'll make itself obsolete, but then won't it be a beautiful craft like people that have the ability to do that, Like if in.
Speaker 1: The you know, I know, Patrick's going to say, oh, we need to hold on to it, and I get it, and it's romantic and it's beautiful. But in the real world beyond that, I don't think people are going to be writing with pens on paper. I think kids from a young age you're going to be using computers and everything's going to be done in that modality. What are your thoughts, Patrick?
Speaker 2: My thoughts are that you are completely and totally utterly wrong, and new studies are now actually encouraging.
Speaker 1: In primary school, you always say new studies, reference the study right now.
Speaker 3: It's a study right now.
Speaker 1: I don't say studies, tell us tell me the name of the study, or I don't believe you. Look, this is your go to this is your go to studies. Tell us there was this, don't fucking say that. Tell me the name of the study, and don't start looking it up now I am looking it up. Are you telling me? Are you telling me that you think in ten years that kids will be writing on paper with pens more than they are now?
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm telling you now that they are.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, you're giving me your opinion now, don't know this is your opinion, right, don't get over the top with what you're not fucking nostradamis article I read recently, because articles never get it wrong that.
Speaker 2: Schools are now reintroducing pens because the mechanism for writing words means that children are able to articulate and learn in a much more rapid pace when they take notes and they write it down. Because the act of actually writing the words, forming the letters, combining the words helps greatly with learning and part of learning process. So at least in Victoria, there is a move to really strongly encourage kids away from tablets and back to handwriting.
Speaker 1: I think theoretically that's brilliant, and I hope that is true, and I hope that. I mean, just because they're doing like that would be great. But I don't know that that in a decade that the standard is going to be kids writing on paper. I think it's going to be the exception, not the rule. Ye, Like, I'm with you, like I think for left brain right brain kind of creativity and that tactile thing of actually doing something that's fluid with with a pen on a page. But then all the greenies are going to go, no, we need to stop using all the paper and we're killing all the trees.
Speaker 2: There's that Raising Raising Children dot net dot au son austraining parenting website states handwriting is an important part of literacy and an essential skillful life.
Speaker 4: There you go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Still, that's just a website saying for something. It's not research, is it? I love, Let's be clear. Let's be clear.
Speaker 2: If when you come out of the ring just punching like shit, that's Craig this morning.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: No, I'm just saying, like, I don't have to agree with everything you say just because you're saying it. I can say cool, you say research, where is it? And you go, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Queensland curriculum and Assessment authority supporting your child development.
Speaker 1: Ye still not research, Still not research, Just a fucking website saying something, an education website. So what So what you know? Science used to tell us that the world was flat. Science used to tell us that the food pyramid was good. Science used to tell us that pregnant women should have polidamine. There's a lot of things that turn out not to be true.
Speaker 3: I'll send you a link to the National Library the neuroscience behind writing.
Speaker 1: But I believe you with that, Like, I truly I agree. I think it's great. That's not the question. The question is will it still be around? So you and I are on the same page. I think I wish that we're all still writing, and I wish we were using both hands. Like, if you're listening to this and you're a parent and you want your kid's brain to develop, great, get them to do things with both hands. Get them to write and draw with both hands. Get them to play games with both hands. Hold a tennis racket, at cricket bat, you know whatever, play with dolls with both hands, like try to What about when you're getting dressed and you try to button up your shirt with your your non dominant hands. It's like the fucking I was going to say something very inappropriate. Have you ever I know I can't.
Speaker 3: I can't to say it.
Speaker 1: No, I really can't. I would really actually get in trouble.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 1: For me to pull back is yeah, wow.
Speaker 3: You know what I was just thinking.
Speaker 2: You were talking about handwriting in schools and whether that's going to be present in ten years time. Let's step back to even earlier learning. What about kids drawing with crayons? And you know, there's a five year old child next door who's adorable. And when I take Fritz out to the front yard when I'm weeding, the kids all swarm because they love my dog.
Speaker 3: Right, it's not nothing to do with me.
Speaker 2: But the little girl next door she turned five, so I got her a little gift and she wrote she drew me this beautiful picture, and she spelt my name, but she spelt the pee backwards, which was.
Speaker 3: Kind of cute. It was just like thank you.
Speaker 2: And I just thought I've hung it up in my office, right behind my desk, because it says.
Speaker 3: So cute that this five year old draw a picture for me.
Speaker 2: But the act of drawing, of creating something on paper that kids do from quite an early age, and visualizing the world and then articulating it in such a way. You know, kids draw even before they speak sometimes, but to draw mummy and daddy, or to draw a picture of a sky with the sun in it, those things just they're going to be around, you know, that taxile connectedness. So I think that, you know, is that the precursor to writing further maybe hopefully Now I like to think, yeah, all.
Speaker 1: Right, let's move on, let's look at some of it. Let's look at what's on your list. I don't disagree, by the way, in terms of your premise that it's great for the brain and great for development. We're on the same page with that. Okay. Biology scientists are excited by gel that's going to repair tooth enamel.
Speaker 3: This is pretty big.
Speaker 2: This is just really really big because we can't grow new enamel on our teeth, you know, as we get over, you get older.
Speaker 3: It's a real problem.
Speaker 2: And this is a concern right around the world because the World Health Organization says about three point seven billion people suffer from oral disease with the enamel degradation. So when the enamel breaks down, it leaves your teeth susceptible, so that's one of the big causes, and decay can lead to things like diabetes, vascular disease, so bad oral health is a real problem. And so the scientists have developed a possible treatment.
Speaker 3: So this is out of the University of Nottingham.
Speaker 2: And they believe that they've come up with I guess a chemical environmental engineering department have been working on this research to have a protein based substance that mimics the key features that are used in enamel to develop. So this is what babies have when they're growing your teeth. Infants use this kind of this process to develop the enamel around the teeth. It's kind of like a scaffolding that goes on a tooth. And now they're saying they may be able to use these calcium and phosphate ions are ions that are in saliva and mimic that so that we can regrow the enamel. This is we're talking This may be as soon as like twelve to eighteen months away and that could be revolutionary for people, but particularly for those people who you know. I often think about the safety net we have with medy care here in Australia and there's so many safety nets for people who get sick, but the one area that there isn't a lot of care for is people who you know, don't have a lot of money and can't afford dental work. And the ramifications of people having bad teeth can be I mean, aside from the cosmetic side of it and losing confidence, the other aspect is the heart conditions and potential you know, ongoing effects of having dental disease. And we don't have a big safety net in there for adults who lose their teeth. I mean, I know, I think kids can get free dental treatment, but adults can't, and so this could be a life changer for so many people who just can't afford to go to the dentist.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's true. It's if you've got kind of mouth issues, or teeth issues, or gum issues, or kind of infection issues in the mouth, which is a lot of people. There's a kind of a downstream physiological clinical consequence of that, which, as you said, is often heart issues, but moreover just like people. Yeah, there's just when I had my infection, which is not mouth but closely located in my ears, I had like an infection in my head, as in my Eustachian tubes, and I felt fucking terrible for six months, but I thought it was something else, so I didn't even get a CT scan on my head, which I ended up having to get, because I thought it was I don't know. I thought I had diabetes. I thought I had chronic fatigue. I've got a thing called pernicious anemia, which makes you tired. I thought I had prostate issues. I thought all of these things, and what I had was an infection in my head. And so I had six months of all of these pretty shitty symptoms, and I took one course of antibiotics and everything went away. I'm like, oh, oh, and that's just from that one thing in my head. That infection basically fucked up, like even down to brain function. I feel like my brain was a six out of ten for like six months, and I thought I was just I was scared. I was a little bit scared.
Speaker 2: I want to treat this with the seriousness that deserves because I think medical conditions should be something that we think about a lot and we protect ourselves from.
Speaker 3: But I want to take.
Speaker 2: That leap from an head infection to your prostate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, because yeah, well the symptoms were I was weaning a lot, right, Okay, I was weaning a lot, I was lethargic, my cognitive function was down, so they were just symptoms which often shouldn't be associated with that. So I literally thought I was diabetic. I thought I had prostate issues. I thought I had and I wrote out a list like I did all this research, like I fucking knew what I'm doing, pretending, oh look, I'm almost a doctor. So then I went into my actual doctor and I said this is what I think's going on, and he went, fucking he fuck, what are your symptoms? So I told him and he went, well, you could be on the money. Then I had all this, I had urine tests, I had blood tests, and then he calls me in and he goes, well, you got none of that, but you've got a fucking infection in your head. I went, ah, months of this, Holy Molly, Oh dude, dude, I was And also I'm a big baby, so that doesn't help.
Speaker 3: The moral of the story is blakes go to the doctor more often.
Speaker 1: That is, probably probably don't go to doctor Google as much, ye doctor chat GPTV. Patrick tell Us why Google is putting data centers in space if you would tell us that that'd be nice.
Speaker 2: Well, it's kind of we're talking as early as twenty twenty seven that we could. This is a problem with AI, the need for data centers in the rece courses they use, so water usage has just ballooned because they need water to cool the data centers.
Speaker 3: The theory is that if you put a.
Speaker 2: Data center in orbit four hundred miles above the Earth, then you don't have the cooling problems because space in essence is pretty damn cold. But you could orient the solar panels and be constantly generating the power that you would need. So we'vein a very short amount of time, and in fact, in a couple of years, there are more ships, there are more rockets launching satellites, so getting stuff into space is a lot cheaper than it ever has been. So there's more stuff going up, and the running costs by twenty thirty could be you know, a space based data center could be comparable to one on Earth.
Speaker 3: And oh, obviously tired data Trader is a big thing.
Speaker 1: And I just asked two two questions. One Tiff is for you. Could you just look up what's the ten pictura space? And I know space is fucking big, but could you just find out like a range and Patrick two, what is it? Arta center? Is that just like a physical space with a bazillion like I'm picturing like a fucking basketball stadium full of computers?
Speaker 2: Is that pretty well? Is that they're not always as big as a basketball court. But that's exactly what You're right, You're right. It's artist is a place where they have racks and racks of machines. So the computers are all arranged in racks all the all the you know, the big I get processing brains that we use for the Internet and for AI and all the things that we store and save and process on a constant basis. Because when we think about a lot of what we do nowadays, a lot of the processing is going on in the cloud. When we talk about that, we talk about a data center that's remote from our computer.
Speaker 3: So our computers don't.
Speaker 2: Have to be as powerful because the processing is going on at the data center end. When you go to chat GPT, all the smarts that go into answering your question isn't happening on your computer. Your computers linked up to the Data center.
Speaker 1: Yeah, TIF, any answer for us? Does it say cold as fuck?
Speaker 4: It? Well, it says, says a whole bunch of stuff, and then it says because that's how much Chatters talks minus two hundred and seventy degrees celsius. In other words, colder than your ex is heart after a messy breakup. Thanks. Check.
Speaker 1: Oh look at chat GPT being funny.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 1: Wow, it also knows you Patrick's coffin his little testicles out over there is mute in himself. Fucking hell, did you just, Nellie, as my mum would say, did you nearly have a fucking epoplexy? Whatever? That is.
Speaker 3: What it epoplexy is? Tell us I look at epoplexy please.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's a real word. But I do have another question for you, which is not on your list. My question is how do you think? In fact, both of you all want your opinion, but we'll start with you Patrick. So the ban on social media for sixteen year olds comes in in the next week or two, depending on what state you're in. How do you reckon that's going to go? Mate? And why?
Speaker 3: Yeah, smart kids will get around it.
Speaker 2: VPNs get you know, using a virtual private network to pretend that you're in another country. I mean, two minds about this. I really feel that social media can be quite damaging for young people if it's used, you know, in the wrong ways. And we know that the algorithms of a lot of social media aren't necessarily pro health and well being and mental health. Now I worry for kids in rural areas who are disenfranchised, who are disconnected. You know, there was a recent article I read about kids who go to boarding school. You know, they are going to come home and separate from all their friends. How do they contact each other? Most young people these days you snapchat, which is a messaging service, but it also delivers video, and that's the problem. That's why it's included in the band. So they're not trying to stop kids from talking to each other. But if the social media platform that they're using to communicate also happens to be a video delivery platform, then.
Speaker 3: It's part of the band. And that's where, you know.
Speaker 2: I had one of my mates came out from Adelaide recently came across from Adelaide with his girlfriend and his daughter and granddaughter, and I asked the thirteen year old how she felt about because she's just on Snapchat for the whole time talking to her boyfriend.
Speaker 3: Boyfriend thirteen.
Speaker 2: Wow, that was a bit of an eye open and form constantly chatting to each other, video chatting, all that sort of stuff. But the platform that they were on is a platform that's going to get banned.
Speaker 3: And so her mother was looking.
Speaker 2: At how are we going to keep the kids connected? And I think that that's the concern that I have. I you know, and school parents giving kids permission to use social media, giving them phones. You know, we in a nanny state where everything that has to happen has to be dictated by a government and legislation. You know, whatever happened to parenting where we take responsibility for the devices we're giving to kids, you know, and we trust them.
Speaker 3: We trust that they're going to do the right thing.
Speaker 2: We talk to them, we have adult conversations and we say, look, this is what you need to look out for when you're online. You know, you're not allowed to have your phone in your room after a certain time. Friends of mine do that, all the kids, all the family, including the parents, put their phone the kitchen, the charge overnight.
Speaker 3: They don't have their phones in their rooms.
Speaker 2: So I get that the ban is important in some ways, but I'm always mindful of being told to do something that effectively takes that control away from parents and kids and disenfranchisees children. You know, if you're a trans kid living in the middle of the bush, you may lose contact with your community online and it could be really hard for them to connect with people their peers because they don't have that in their own community.
Speaker 1: I hate it when you and I agree, it's fucking annoying, very annoying. What do you think? What do you think?
Speaker 4: You know what I think? I wonder what the effect of how it undermines real laws. So now something that seemingly stupid becomes outlawed, so kids get desensitized to breaking the law. Right, there's no deal. I'll just do this and you're not legally allowed to Will I do it? Anyway?
Speaker 1: I wonder this is a good question. I mean, maybe I'm stating the obvis Is it a law.
Speaker 3: Or is it?
Speaker 1: Like? Is there is it a criminal act for a fifteen year old to be on fucking Instagram? Like? Is that a crime?
Speaker 3: Is a question?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I would Yeah, there's just a lot going on, and I'm with you. I just look, we need we need governance, and we need police and we need all of that. Of course we do, and it's great and we're so grateful. But also like when you've got the government saying your child can't do this, and it's not like we're talking about running around with a machete, like we're talking about using an app on a phone. As you said, Patrick, in some cases, those kids having access to other people via this medium is going to be good for their health, good for their social life, good for their state of mind. And I think to say it's it's universally bad, so we need to well it isn't. It isn't universally bad. Just like you know, it's like, well, we can't have kids congregating in the fucking school yard at lunchtime because bullying happens. Yeah, but ninety eight percent of the time it's not happening, or ninety nine percent of the time it's like, well, bullying happens in the playground, so we can't go to the playground. Ever, it doesn't work. I just don't know that that is a solution.
Speaker 2: But you raise the really valuable point in terms of you know, is a kid going to get fined for being fifteen and having a Snapchat account using a VPN.
Speaker 3: The laws in Australia are targeting the big.
Speaker 2: Data, the big companies, so that you know, they're targeting Meta, which owns Facebook and Instagram. They're targeting all of those platforms and saying to them they have to put mechanisms in place that don't allow young people to be on if they're under the age of sixteen. So there's a fifty million dollar fine if they aren't able to enforce that. So they're throwing it on the tech companies to do the right thing to enforce this ban. What does that mean for an individual? I don't even know. That's such a great question. But what I know is that fifty million dollar fine is going to go out to any breaches that occur that they caught out. But the reality of it is they're already talking about ways to get around that. You know, if the tech company is using a face scanner and you just get your older brother to come on and say that they're you, and they skip your face and suddenly I've got an account.
Speaker 3: A VPN is where you get a virtual private.
Speaker 2: Network and the computer that you're using or the device you're using it appears to be in another country, so you can sign up in a country where they.
Speaker 3: Don't have this bad. The rest of the world is watching this.
Speaker 2: You know, Australia has made the world stage in terms of the progressive nature.
Speaker 3: Of what it's felt by a lot of the you know, just child welfare groups.
Speaker 2: So other countries are looking to do something similar and they're watching really closely what's happening in Australia because this is a big thing for us. But how it impacts and what ends up happening is out there. We're not going to know it or December ten. You might be hearing this before or after. Tell us that's what happened.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, get back to us. Yeah. I don't know. I just think there's a lot of a lot of stuff that's kind of going into the space of people's private lives and you know, I don't know. I don't know. And also, are there people over sixteen who are using it in unhealthy and toxic and destructive ways? Yes? Is it doing potential damage to people over sixteen? I guess it is. I just think it's like there needs to be some kind of self regulation, like we can't have the government forever telling individuals what they can and can't do with their fucking phone or in their personal life. I mean unless it's of a criminal nature.
Speaker 2: But yeah, Patricks can I just say there are two teenagers currently who have launched a High Court challenge to this new law. By the way, what happened is that fifteen year old's Noah Jones and Macy Neeland. They've been backed by a welfare group, like a rights group, and they're arguing the band completely disregards the rights of children and they say, look, we shouldn't be so viilenced. It's like the George Orwell book nine to eighty four. There is another side to this, and that's the opinion of young people as well. So the Digital Freedom Project basically has spearheaded this case and they're filed in the High Court just recently and they're saying that teenagers rely on social media for information association and this ban could actually hurt the nation's most vulnerable children, so people with a disability, First Nations kids rule and remote kids, LGBTQ teenagers. So these are the children and the young people who stand to be disenfranchised by being disconnected from their social connectedness online. Look, whether this goes through, I'm not sure. There's a new South Wales parliamentarian, a god named John Raddick. He you know, he's kind of weighed in on this as well. So it's I don't know how much luck they'll have in the case, but it's interesting that they're fighting back.
Speaker 1: Let's keep our AI chat to just one top or one story this week, but I'm interested in this one. A backlash against AI imagery being used in ads may have begun as brands promote human made well, there's a bit.
Speaker 3: Of criticism recently.
Speaker 2: H and M and Guess got a really big backlash for using AI brand ambassadors where they've used virtual models instead of humans, and so this is where it's come from. So now companies are doing the exact opposite. So you know, there's a now that in this backlash where advertisers are saying this was made using real people.
Speaker 3: We didn't use AI to create.
Speaker 1: This how novel. Hey look this is a human. Her name's Jane.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so so Cadbury, Polaroid, Heineken. They're hating on AI and they're celebrating their work as being human made work, which is interesting, you know, and and when you take it to the extreme, there was this guy, I can't remember where he might have been, an American guy. He developed an AI model of an African American woman and it looked stunning and he and the thing is, but he was a white man who made an African American model and was trying to get money from that using that AI person that didn't exist, you know. So you know, when you think of it in those terms, either misrepresentation or what does it actually mean? Coca Cola did their Christmas campaign, They did a Christmas AI ad campaign and they've they've they've you know, it looks magical and it's got polar bears doing rate things and trains and Christmassy stuff. But you know, at the end of the day, you look at it and you think, oh, isn't it sad that it wasn't made by people in a sweatshop somewhere.
Speaker 3: No, that's not true.
Speaker 1: People Animators spoken and authorized by Patrick Bonello. His thoughts don't reflect all the thoughts of the project management. Now.
Speaker 2: But when you think about people who work in the film industry and.
Speaker 1: Work definitely date edit that out too, just leave that in. And I joking, when is what's your lawyer's name? Again?
Speaker 2: Well, they just resigned after hearing this segment, So I don't have one if you're a lawyer and you want to represent me, because I've put my foot in my mouth. But I guess the other thing is in the film industry at the moment, using AI, it can also mean that we can just use these AI tools to help with you know, improving the quality of the product. So what point do we not recognize that AI is just a useful tool exactly?
Speaker 1: And it depends I think like many things like social media apps like CGI or AI as we're talking about, it depends on the use. It depends on the application. Like it's not like all AI is doing bad things or you know when when they do, when they produce AI that can do an operation on me with ninety nine point nine nine nine percent accuracy or success versus a much lower figure for a human. I'm choosing the AI. Yeah, you know what I'm saying, Like if it's life and death, you know, I think over time we're going to find more and more. And we've spoken about this a little bit, but autonomous vehicles, and yes, can autonomous vehicles crass? Yes? Can they all these things. Yes, can human driven vehicles crash, We'll just fucking look out the window, you know. So I think there's going to be over time, there has to be just more and more acceptance and less resistant. And it's you know, by the time Patrick Craigan Tiff two point zero are sitting on a podcast, not that there'll be any in thirty years, they're going to go, remember those old dinosaurs who used to fucking drive themselves around, Remember when actors in movies were biological not technological. They'll be like, what was that about? What a weird phase of the human kind of evolution was that? I like all the shit that we're jumping up and down about now, we've done that for centuries, eon, for fucking millennia. Where something new comes along and everyone protests and says it's going to be the end of the world. Rock and roll music, it's the devil's music. It's going to destroy that. You know, it doesn't. It's you know, not that there needs to be no policing or no regulation, but I'm pretty sure it's going to becoming more and more ingrained in who we are and how we operate. I've been fortunate that over the years, I've gone to a few lost arts expos where you find artisans and people who have retained these lost arts, like Blacksmith's, you know. And I bought a fireplace poker, which was amazing. It was this wrought iron.
Speaker 2: Poker with a wizard's head formed out of the metal at the top. And it was just stunning and it was great to know that a craftsman had made and made that.
Speaker 3: And it was what are you laughing and the TIFFs laughing at me?
Speaker 1: But a wizard's head?
Speaker 3: Wow? I had a wizards head on one end.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you actually have a fire they have?
Speaker 3: Of course they have a fireplace. Well would I buy a fireplace poker without a fireplace?
Speaker 1: Fucking what? You would buy a fucking spaceship.
Speaker 3: I would buy a spaceship if I could exactly.
Speaker 1: I don't think. Knowing you, I wouldn't expect you would need to have a fire to buy yourself a fireplace poker. All right, let's talk tech. Soft robotic elbow cuts muscle act activity. What does that even mean? Soft robotic elbow cuts muscle activity by Oh, okay, people, it does some of it does some of the work of lifting, does it?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: So it's made of silicon, it's an exoskeleton, and it's it's very light. And what it does is if you do any any work, say in a factory work potentially where you've got this repetitive movement, it means that there's less strain, so it takes up twenty two percent of the force can be absorbed by this, and this could be revolutionary for factory workers around the world. It means that you know less pain RSI all that sort of stuff. So University of Texas and Arlington they developed this robotic exoskeleon. But it also so it's not about also supporting the joint, but it also literally lifts the load. So whatever you're carrying is twenty two percent lighter, or it would feel twenty two percent lighter. That'd be great in the gym, wouldn't it, Tiff, And you can put those extra weights and create.
Speaker 1: Nah, that would be from a training point of view, but from the work point of view, and I'm looking after yourself, yeah, I mean that is that's not the worst thing at all. Tell me why pre owned gadgets are becoming a thing? Why is there more and more prevalence of people Is it buying pre owned stuff. Yeah, yeah, Well.
Speaker 2: There's a bigger market now in refurbished so you know, when you look for new phones or phones.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of recent furbished stuff out there.
Speaker 2: And I think it's gone from the days of your eBay purchase of a dodgy device to just something now where they're refurbished, they come with warranties, and as people are more budget conscious, the reality.
Speaker 3: Of it is, you know the majority.
Speaker 2: Of people are just going to be as happy with an iPhone thirteen than they would with a fourteen or fifty, you know what I mean. You don't have to have a two and a half thousand dollars phone if you can get one for six hundred bucks and it's going to do just as much. And there's always going to be percentage of people who will queue up to get the next phone, and then they're going to.
Speaker 3: Offload their old phone.
Speaker 2: So if you're flipping your phone literally every twelve months, then there's really good quality stuff out there. I think I've talked about this before. I haven't purchased a television for probably twenty years, and I know I sound like the tight ass, but I just know stacks of people who get rid of television's regularly because they want to go to the later and greater model, and so I just buy their old TVs, or in many cases get given them because they just want to offload them, you know, freedomine. I got given a TV by my brother which was seventy five inches.
Speaker 3: It's enormous, like Green TV. But he went to an eighty two inch.
Speaker 1: Wow, I'll take it. What There's a whole lot of conversations we could have off the back of that. You know. One of my favorite old school like gadgets. I don't know if I've told you this. I might have, but I've got a game Boy from nine and I think it's nine ninety seven, so you know that that classic size, and it's got Tetris. It's you know how you put in the discs. Yep, so it's got the old one you put that in the back came literally, what's that?
Speaker 3: It's a cartridge, not a disc? Thank you cartridge.
Speaker 1: I found that It must have been in my cupboard for oh twenty years, and I pulled it out and I went, oh, I'll put a battery in. It's fucking brand new, brand new, awesome. Yeah, it's the best, and it's lime green. It's disgusting lime green, but it's also the best color ever. So and then I usually lose myself down the Tetris rabbit hole for three days and then put it back in the cupboard for another two years.
Speaker 3: My being an identical twin brother.
Speaker 2: When we were kids and the first electronic games came out, we both got given game.
Speaker 3: We usually given gifts to share.
Speaker 2: Who gives a gift to two kids to share just because we share a same birthday?
Speaker 3: I don't hear a gift.
Speaker 2: How many of those days ended in fights and tears?
Speaker 3: Do you reckon? So?
Speaker 2: Anyway, it's such tight ass as your relatives at a working class suburbs.
Speaker 1: Shut up relatives, fucking do better. Two presents, two kids.
Speaker 3: My favorite auntie. I love her to death. She's awesome.
Speaker 2: She's my godmother and she's Irish as well. So she just did this whole Patrick. She loved me because I was My name is Patrick. I think that was the other reason. But she always just to make a big big thing about it. But she used to give us the Guinness Book of World Records. Of course it was Guinness. Why am I thinking that was funny? So she used to give us to give us book and world records to share to share, and we fought over it every year. But anyway, getting back to computer games, So I've got this two person robot fighting game where one person has like a little buttons on one side, another person on the other side, and two robots basically fire weapons.
Speaker 3: At each other. And then the other one was remember Galaxian the game Galaxian.
Speaker 1: Two people anybody I might, I think I know the name, but I've never played it.
Speaker 2: So we again had a two person game where one person stood on the other side and they had their controls and they were looking down at the screen and they played the aliens and you played the person defending. So they were both two people games. And so years later, and I think I moved up to Blant at this point, but we're talking maybe ten years ago. My brother said, jeez, you know, I wonder whatever happened to all those games that we got, And I reckon Dad threw them all away, and it's like, no, when I moved out of home.
Speaker 3: I took them still.
Speaker 1: So your brother doesn't know he does that.
Speaker 2: I admitted it now. I admitted it, and I said, actually I've got them he was so outraged that I'd taken them. It's like, well, you know I was repatriating them. You know they were mine too.
Speaker 1: Now you've got a hybrid. I've got a hybrid. Yeah, yeah, it does not. You are a hybrid. You are thirty percent female, seventy percent male. We've jumped now the numbers have changed seventy thirty the other way, China have produced a hybrid EV that drove one thousand and four hundred and forty four miles on well it's not really a tank, but let's call it one tank without refueling. Now, off the top of my head, I feel like fourteen forty five miles is significantly over two thousand kilometers on one basically one fueling. That's pretty incredible.
Speaker 2: Yep, two thousand and three hundred and twenty five kilometers is exactly how it went.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So it's a Chinese car company called four FAW and this is a new milestone.
Speaker 3: So they had a hong g HS six. The Hong g HS six.
Speaker 1: Sounds pretty sick, that old chestnut.
Speaker 2: It's a plug in hybrid SU and it's set the Guinness World Record for the longest distance traveled on a single full charge and tank of fuel so without the need to refuel.
Speaker 3: And that's a staggering amount of distance.
Speaker 1: Is the challenge for evs is the biggest hurdle. I know there's a few, but is it just charging time for making them really really commercially viable and popular? You know, because I can go fill my little Suzuki Swift in three minutes with enough gas to get me around for the next week or two. But if I'm going to do the same with my I don't know, Tesla or whatever, depending on which one I've got or which Chinese EV, it could be eight to ten hours, depending on how I do it. Is that their challenge moving forward to get that time down.
Speaker 3: No, yes or no.
Speaker 2: I do agree that that is problematic when we're living in a country where range anxiety is an issue. But the reality of it is the average Australian isn't going to drive more than three or four hundred kilometers in a day. They're going to commute to work, and if you're charging, you're going to charge overnight and going to a charging state. You can go somewhere to a charging point and charge for twenty minutes and get it eighty percent of range, so you don't have to.
Speaker 3: Do that for eight hours whatever it is to go to a full charge.
Speaker 2: And in fact, the argument is that you should never charge your car to full charge. It should sit between the eighty and twenty mark, not get below twenty, but not.
Speaker 3: Get above eighty.
Speaker 2: So I think, really, when we think about any hurdles to evs, I don't think range anxiety is the issue, because the reality of it is.
Speaker 3: I mean, think about it. How often do you drive?
Speaker 2: I mean, if an average range of an EV is four hundred and fifty kilometers, how often do you drive four hundred and fifty kilometers?
Speaker 1: I do regularly because I go up and back to mums in a day, Mom and dads. Yeah, but fourred if it actually did that, well, that would cover me. That would be because I think it's it's probably only about three hundred three fifty maybe depending on if I do a little bit of yeah, a little bit of extra. But you know, one thing that's probably a bit more in my wheel house than yours. But one thing that's not really taken off is electric motorbikes.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Interesting, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Because there was a partnership between Suzuki and a few other of the big players, and they were talking about swappable batteries. The itea was that you drove into a servo, dropped the battery, put the new battery in drive off, a bit like you know, exchanging your gas cylinder with barbecues. And it made so much sense, and in fact, they teed up like three of the biggest manufacturers said, let's standardize the battery, let's be consistent, so we can have this swap and go mentality. And it sounded like such a good idea. And we've seen some amazing looking electric bikes. But I don't know whether it's a power to wait ratio in terms of whether or not you can cramp. I mean, people are riding scooters all the time, so I don't know why it wouldn't be a thing, But yeah, definitely, scooters are slowly catching on. But I think you'll find so quite a few friends of the show, Scotti Douglas who rides a motorbike, and Tip rides a motorbike, and she's got a loud bike.
Speaker 1: I've got stupid loud bike. Scott's got most. I think bikes are more emotional than practical. I mean they're practical, but It's like, I don't want a bike that makes no noise for two reasons. One safety, If you've got a loud bike, people know you're there. They're less likely to pull in front of you, cut you off, you know, open their door on you. You know, you don't want it to be overwhelmingly thunderous, but if you are on a motorbike, you would like it to be a little bit louder than the average car. And then two, as an experience, riding a motorbike that sounds amazing. It just makes it more enjoyable. And people who don't ride motorbikes, I totally understand they would go, well, that's fucking ridiculous. But you know, there's something, there's something that happens when you ride a motorbike that sounds amazing. Am I right, Tiff, that is correct.
Speaker 4: But I would like to add that Craig's bike is overwhelmingly thunderous. Overwhelmingly so he's well Mary and Ron can hear it start up way down there in till Drove Valley?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that that bitch is loud, That motherfucker is. Let's just say that. Let's just say that I might need to just when I ride it up Hampton Street. I just I don't even I just gently roll that. I just I just ease that throttle on, change gears, quiet, I try and be low key. It's it's like, please don't notice that I'm riding a volcano up Hampton Street.
Speaker 4: But yeah, it's a lot electric car. Because of that, now it's electric car. I would not have an electric bike since getting that, since riding with knowing with a stock exhaust and then changing the exhaust completely transformed the writing experience.
Speaker 2: And yeah, sorry it makes you sorry. Did you say you've made it louder?
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh okay, not louder than Craigs.
Speaker 1: No, no, So I was thinking, yeah, all the pseudo psychologists and oh, of course he's got it loud because he's fucking insecure, and that that exhausted just saying look at me, look at me, only child, and might I say, you're probably all correct, so carry on, you carry on.
Speaker 2: I was just while was thinking the opposite, because I've done a lot of paragliding and I always thought that I would love to be able to get a paramotor.
Speaker 3: So a paraglider is a fabric you you.
Speaker 2: Run off a cliff or you know, on the coast or down a mountain and whatever, and you use thermals for lift or whatever updraft, but you can get what they call a paramo, which is a propeller that.
Speaker 3: You put onto the back of your backpack. The problem is, for me, it's so loud.
Speaker 2: I've loved paragliding because being up there and not having a motor is amazing. But I was just thinking, while you guys were chatting about how you wouldn't go for an electric bike, that I would go for an electric paramotor because that would be phenomenal because you haven't got the sound, all the extra noise, So being an electric paramotor, I think that would be amazing. And then you don't have to climb anything. You can just kind of take off from the ground, which would be pretty cool too.
Speaker 1: You could just reincarnate as an eagle. That'd be cool. You know.
Speaker 2: One of the most exciting, in fact, almost one of the last flights I did in my paraglider.
Speaker 1: With that, I notice how he just didn't even acknowledge that I spoke. Then, Tiff, did you notice that.
Speaker 3: I was telling a story that related exactly to what you're saying. You didn't give me a chance to finish.
Speaker 1: Ah, we'll try harder.
Speaker 2: So I launched at the launch site at bright and as I launched over the tree tops and got a little bit of distance away, I looked down and there was an eagle flying underneath me.
Speaker 3: Wow, spread wings.
Speaker 2: And I thought to myself at that moment, how many people have ever been in a situation with a flying above an eagle? You know, the little winglets were just kind of gently moving in the breeze. You know how they adjust the little ailerons on their wings. And I saw that from the top.
Speaker 1: See that is all. That's pretty cool. I'll give you that. One more thing before we go. I want to ask you about And I know I'm a dinosaur, and I know I've been using it for a while but not in a significant way. But lately I've been using voice to text, just in my phone, just using notes, which I know there's a million, probably a million better ways to do it, but so often when I'm going for my my myriad of walks through the day, I'll have an idea and so I just talk into my phone and by the time I get home, I've got three or four or five pages of notes. One do you use voice to text like that, Patrick, And two, is there a more efficient and effective way than what I'm doing, which is basically just pressing the audio or the microphone button and talking into notes.
Speaker 3: It's a good question. Look, I don't use it. I've got to say.
Speaker 2: I tend to like write, but I use voice to text or voice to add things to my calendar when I'm in bed and it's late at night and I suddenly think of something, so I don't have to turn the light on. I just ask to add it to my calendar and then I don't think about it anymore. Is there something more efficient? I guess it depends on what you wanted to do. If you wanted to get a summary of your notes, if you felt you know, that's where you employ an AI agent. But now what you're doing now just recording into it. If it's accurate, and you find the accuracy level as high, then I think you're doing exactly the right thing. It's a really efficient way of doing it. And you know, I'd keep doing what you're doing.
Speaker 1: I was walking yesterday and I was thinking, I'm always thinking about, like, if I've got to do a solo podcast, what's a what's something that you know that I haven't overspoken about, or maybe is somewhat fresh or a fresh angle on an old topic. But I was thinking about the idea of, you know, how everyone tells everyone how amazing they are and spectacular and incredible, and the truth is that we're all not. Some people are, but I'm wildly mediocre in most things. And I was so it's coming up with an idea of like, Okay, so maybe I don't have incredible genetics or the highest IQ. Maybe I'm not a creative genius, and maybe I'll never cure cancer or run fast or jump high or solve bloody or whatever solve the bloody quantum theory problems, or but how do I make the most out of what I've got to work with? And so this was my basis that I was walking around. I came home with pretty much a whole episode planned, and then I just cut and paste it into a dock and then it's on my computer and I tidy it up a little bit. But literally, I'm doing two things at once, which is pretty efficient. And for me, I tend to think, I don't know, I feel like I'm more creative, and I feel like my brain works better, maybe better sometimes when I'm walking than when i'm sitting. If I'm trying to conceptualize and create something, I think when I'm not sitting in this chair looking at this screen, but when I'm out and I'm just walking in nature or suburbia or a bit of both. Yeah, I feel like my brain works better. I think there's a lot to.
Speaker 2: Be said for the subconscious brain as well, what your brain is doing. You know, if you've got a puzzle to solve, a challenge to face, then when you stop thinking about it, it doesn't necessarily mean that your brain isn't still processing it. I think I've told you the story about getting a phone call from someone we both know, Andrew Jobbers, and he was struggling because he was publishing his eighth book and the designer or the publisher had a designer and he wasn't happy with the cover and he was really stressing because it had gone back to the design multiple times and he couldn't get what he wanted. So he sent me a rough draft and said I want to incorporate this, this, and this, and I said, oh, look, I can have a look at it tomorrow. Went to sleep, woke up about four am, the finished cover.
Speaker 3: Was in my mind, all done, and I just got to.
Speaker 2: The computer, got in there, produced it and that was basically the cover.
Speaker 3: I felt like I did zero work. I really did zero work.
Speaker 2: I had a concept, went to bed, subconscious brain has worked on it overnight, doing what it was doing, and the finished cover was there in the morning.
Speaker 3: Just great. Wish life was luck that all the time.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, your brain is always thinking in inverted commas, So there's thinking that happens because of us and despite us, you know what I mean. So there's like conscious and unconscious that it's like, this is prefrontal cortex critical thinking. I'm focused on there. And then there's the deeper stuff which is just going on while you're trying to bang out a fuse edit. The brain's funk amazing.
Speaker 2: Can I tell you a funny story about a viral video I saw recently about because I waken a bit.
Speaker 1: Can it be less than two minutes because Tiff and I have got to go Okay, really funny story.
Speaker 2: So the viral video how to get back to sleep when you wake up in the middle of the night. I always struggle with this. You get an ice pack, wrapped in a tea towel and this lay it.
Speaker 3: On your forehead because it cools your brain. I tried it. This next, doesn't it? TI.
Speaker 4: I have not tried it, but I did see an article recently. It must have gone crazy because I feel like I saw it a lot.
Speaker 1: If you were given some high level medical advice by the Crab yesterday about how to not wake up with a blood sugar level of two? Did you try it? Did you tell people? What the just again in under one minute.
Speaker 4: Tablespoon of almond butter, and I'm down with that. I love almond butter, so I have been spooning that bad boy before bed.
Speaker 3: It's great.
Speaker 1: And what did it work?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it has been. It has been, but I don't know how accurate the old We're back on everyone. We're back on the glucose monitor, which has been a wild ride. Again. Maybe the first one wasn't faulty after all.
Speaker 1: But tell people what problem you were trying to solve.
Speaker 4: So the first calibrated night, my blood sugar dropped to supposedly to two point two on at least three occasions. It's very low, and what's happening? It tends to do so about four am. Keep waking up at four am and I think it drops cortis or spikes and that wakes me up.
Speaker 1: So with the crab's prescription, that didn't happen.
Speaker 4: Well no, no, it didn't the last two nights, so tuned.
Speaker 1: Doctor Crabb at least qualified doctor in Australia. Patrick. How can people find you and follow you and connect with you?
Speaker 2: I can go to websites now dot com TODAYU that's my business website, or tai Chi at home dot com, todau which is my taichi website.
Speaker 1: The perfect great work you, great work, tiff Thanks everyone. We'll say goodbye affair, but thanks Patty, Thanks Tiffy