Speaker 1: Coops State of Origin heading for a decider, which is always a huge game.
Speaker 2: Have you you played numerous deciders couple? Yeah, it's difficult.
Speaker 3: Coming New South Wales. Yeah it is. It's the it's obviously the pinnacle and the biggest games of the year, and there's this sort of strange thing before kickoff you're supremely confident, but then fear and terror kicks in because it is the biggest game of the year and can you do it? It's the one game that you'd love to be a part of. But then the other part of it is you just don't want to be the one that stuffs it up to.
Speaker 1: Coops, and that is that is such a natural emotion. It's the primary emotion going into big games. Is that nervousness and total fear that you're going to be the bloke.
Speaker 3: And home ground advantage plays a part. Now it's not everything, but I just remember a couple of origin deciders a sun call and it became a factor early on if you started well. So for New South Wales need to start well and that crowd will bring them home.
Speaker 1: Just on on game two we'll have our saying it. The big talk is DC going in the game and whether it was going to be work or not. Given the side he picked, it was always going to be in hindsight. Clearly did going to congratulate Billy for that. Munster elevating Munster captain was a master stroke and didn't simplify their attack.
Speaker 3: Best players, what do you think? Do you think Monster was the best player on the ground.
Speaker 1: I thought Monster was the best player short half head over Kirk Capewell, and I thought Payne Hasse and were pretty pretty special.
Speaker 3: I had Ruben Connor as my own man for Queensland. I thought his performance was outstanding, just defensively. I haven't seen too many New South Wales players be put on their backside through the work of Monster. Outstanding. I think Tyler deserves a big rugby. He did everything he could for New South Wales. But in terms of Monster in the elevation the No DC, there was two parts to it. I think Queensland's halves were and spined to be fair, were way more direct. Yes, they were arrows straight in the way they attacked it. And Munster's sort of influence on the team wasn't you know. It's the way that he communicated. It was more that he just knew the responsibility he had and he delivered with that. Like go back and watch when he walked out in the field. Oh my goodness. He is a character. Everyone loves him, but he was not going to let down his state the way that he was dialed in and that simple promotion to captain is that sole reason that he was going to lead from the front.
Speaker 1: Coop, I've never seen him so stonefaced and made one point he sort of like almost shook with excitement, and that would have been adrenaline and evidence of that Coop was his first kick, like when he was adrenalized and he was excited about the contest seven tackle set which I thought New South Wales.
Speaker 2: Went down and scored from memory.
Speaker 1: But that's just as you know, Coop, it can be a difficult thing going in a really big game when you're playing in the harves and you've got to see the side around the park and you got to make smart decisions, you got to play with some new when there's adrenaline pumping through you.
Speaker 3: I know caramansa well and played a lot of forty with him. I've never seen him like that. Before we go and watching it, I just thought, oh my goodness, this is the biggest moment his career up to that point. You could tell how dialed in he was. He was not going to take a backwards step and he's going to lead from the front. And there was a couple of moments from him, like running the football, a couple of early kicks that really got the job done. So I just I really marveled at.
Speaker 2: What he did throughout Origin history just thinking about it.
Speaker 1: Think like Queensland, some of their greatest players have been quite unheralded, if you know what I mean, that have not been.
Speaker 2: So much surprise selections.
Speaker 1: But you look out on paper and you go, oh yeah, you know, like Gary Larson, if I made sense back there, I mean, Billy Moore, what Billy you provided that emotion? Dane Gaguy should go down as one of Queensland's great Origin players.
Speaker 2: Given the fact too. Wally Lewis medals from the wing.
Speaker 1: Kirk Cable's another one, and I sat on the show last night, the old saying take an old dog for the hard road.
Speaker 2: He's the evidence of that.
Speaker 3: I thought it was a good performance. I think there was a couple of moments in that game. There's a lot of talk around the penalties, but I think the execution of New South Wales, particularly early in the game helped Queensland. Yeah, there was adalso penalties or whatever, but Leui kicked the ball out in the full, Nathan clearly had an attacking set through the ball behind paying Hess there was an error. So there was a couple of things that actually helped Queensland out a lot. And then on the flip side in that second half, I thought the New South Wales attack was very threatening to Queensland. As a Queensland supporter, I thought they were going to score. I thought New South Wales were coming moving left with the trail, moving right with Stephen Kricht. They just looked like in that second half they were going to crack. But I think the one thing that helped Queensland was I thought Harry Grant was horrific early on. Months's running game was direct, did and round the ball, ponger supported through the middle. So in game three, trying to predict what happens the edge attack of New South Wales looks good. The running game of Queensland. Spine is a truth.
Speaker 2: You mentioned before and we talked about.
Speaker 1: You know, I spoke before about Gaguy Boon one of the great origin players.
Speaker 2: You know what point with you?
Speaker 1: Three tries again ran for over two hundred meters every time he plays here, over two hundred meters. He always impacts. Looking at some of the best origin wingers ever. You know Willie Kahn, Michael Hancock, Darius Boy, Chicka Fergus and Wendell Sailor Eric Gross like Kiri, you know where does I mean is to number one?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I think, well, current players are still doing what they're doing. It's hard to put them collivate above anyone else, right, But I will tell you this. We have through the history of our game and currently some super athletic wingers they elevate themselves with a corner posts and put the ball down. But I don't think there's a body shape with Brian to Or that's delivered the way that he's delivered. Like, he doesn't elevate himself out around the corner posts. He would just ram his body into you in the corner of the field and say tackle me if you can. And he normally gets there and he is like, go watch what he did the early parts. He's smart. To He realized that the defense of Queensland. We're probably going to try and lift him up and take him back. He was running head first and towards the ground, just doing the right thing for the team to get that quick play of the ball and set someone else on.
Speaker 2: He's a great player. Diets to disgrace.
Speaker 3: Twenty Did you think New South Wales is going to score?
Speaker 1: No, he didn't know, And I can use my sons as evans. We didn't deserve to win and so often coops the gods of rugby league, that's what they do. But the bottom line is we just didn't deserve to win game.
Speaker 3: He's a little bit of the footy IQ of what makes Karen Monster smart. Go back and look in that second half, clear who's running that play. He was passing our back to Leui or Edwards. Months would fly up out of the line and try and shut that down because he knew he was under threat. This time with a game of the line, he realized that paint hass was an opportunity to catch the football on the first layer. Clearly plays to him. Instead of Months have flying out the line, he sat there and hit the ball over the top and dislodged it. So game awareness and the biggest moment for months to stood up on Monster.
Speaker 1: It's interesting when that ability to run the football or you know, being couraged to run the football at the time, like for months, to have the have the and this is going to sound odd, but have the discipline to continue to play simple. And I'd love to know a stat with Munster how many tries are scored off his play the ball or how many tries are scored off he's offload. I know the Cape will try. I think come from a monster ran the ball, engage to three.
Speaker 2: Guys offloaded out the back.
Speaker 1: It's just because when he runs with football he just attracts so many defenders.
Speaker 3: Fifteen runs of the footing most of any Queensland player and we highlight that. But I thought he kicked the ball early and just really set the time for Queensland the way that they had to do things. So yeah, I thought it was a good performance.
Speaker 2: Kicking early that. Yeah, you blokes in the last fifteen.
Speaker 1: Years, it's an origin player that's been your staple when the game's in the balance or no one can quite you know, take superiority. So often see you blokes just pop out, you know with yourself and the camera.
Speaker 2: On the left foot foot kick J two. It was monster.
Speaker 1: The other night it was eight six. You blokes, but a lot both sides coming up with a lot of errors. Someone's trying to find rhythm. You blokes, go kick early, big kick, Chase put pressure on New South Wales and the pressure loves to Zach Lomax given the arrow of the elbow and it goes up to toss it fourteen six. Now I know it's only an eight point split, but in those conditions in Origin, that just squw It puts a little bit more pressure.
Speaker 3: I always thought to explain the Origin play. If you were to defending your goal line for two, three, four sets in a row and you stop the opposition from scoring. I always thought kicking, if you get good momentum and tackle three or four, that next set is almost like a sign of the opposition you tried your best, but we're coming again, and it's almost they have to get the carry out of their own end. Isolate the fullback, ragged all the fullback and you actually start changing momentum. So Cameron used to do it all the time because at dummy half you're the first touch, everyone's on side. It was easier to do it from that position, because if you went to the half, it's a pass. The fullback reads it sometimes. But that's why it's an origin play, because you're actually forcing the opposition to do things I don't want to do.
Speaker 1: I hear you like certain terminology sometimes and when you southway, I've got a bit of an ascendency.
Speaker 2: We're going at you.
Speaker 1: You guys use the term absorb pressure, not so much repel it, but absorb the pressure then CounterPunch your here that all the time.
Speaker 3: So if the team's got attacking possession on the goal line and you can absorb that pressure one, two, three sets, you watch the halves start going to option three, four and five. When you got them going to their third or fourth option, you know that you've got them rattled a little bit. So they might have started off with a sequence of players, but then this long pass or an early kick comes into play. You've got them rattled because your first two options aren't working. When you sense that it's time to change momentum and kick early.
Speaker 2: We've spoken monster before.
Speaker 1: I think when we talk greater storage and players and you know, removing let's remove state bias here, I think he is he's got to be in the discussion.
Speaker 3: You're Monster in your top ten Origin players of all time?
Speaker 2: Absolutely I do. Yep, Well, yeah, you have coops.
Speaker 1: Have a look at his record, right, just have Luke Monster's record from his debut where he got a man at the match.
Speaker 2: There's been very few Origin.
Speaker 1: Games where he hasn't stood up and he has been the guy oftentimes in Queensland state of origin sites that haven't been like as strong as I mean that that team that the won so many series in a row, like Munster came in on the back of that era, right, but then when he come into prominence as a senior player, those sides weren't as strong. But you know twenty twenty, the COVID years, you know that what he did in that series. Every single time Corneysland needs something or needs someone, most of the time it's Monster.
Speaker 3: He is the most influential Queensland player today.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: But I don't have him in my top ten.
Speaker 1: Right, Let's make some enemies, let's go, right, it gives your top ten in no particular.
Speaker 3: I just sort of went, you know, who were the best players that I think for New South Wales and Queensland. For New South Wales I've just got Fitler, Badera's Daily and John's. Okay, thanks, So those for me, these four for me are the ones that have Captain lad influenced outcomes. The are the ones I think about. But I will say in terms of Queensland, I've got by society, I've just got more Queenland players that have influenced so Lewis Alpha mal like. I think from those days they were the most influential and then from the time that I play. I don't think you can separate lockey Smith versus English. I couldn't leave out any of those.
Speaker 1: It's it is, it's really hard when you sit there and go with I'll give you some of the ones I've left. I've left g I out, Yeah, I couldn't couldn't put him in. I've left Brett Kenny out. I've left Darren Lockyer out, June Miles, Glenn Lass.
Speaker 3: You've left Lockeye out.
Speaker 2: Yes, so some he make.
Speaker 1: And I've left out Laza and I've left I left out Steve Mordon.
Speaker 2: I know you're looking go you know I Steve.
Speaker 1: Morton, but I'll talk about him in the second we're discuss But I've gone Wally given Andrew John's, Cameron Smith, Billy Slater, Jonathan Thurston, all those sides in your order, No lord, but I mean this is the thing to leave our guys like Lockie and June, Miles, Brett Canning and so on.
Speaker 2: It's because that era, that one, that that side that.
Speaker 1: Came through and just completely dominated our origin where arguably the greatest Origin run of all time.
Speaker 2: And so where have I gone?
Speaker 1: I've gone to Thurston, So Wally, Joey, Cameron, Billy Thurston, Laurie Day, Brady Clyde, Malmaninger, Alan Langer, Cameron Munster.
Speaker 3: Yeah, hard to argue with any of those, like Clyde for me being a young Queensland like, he was such a good player, like so good he revolutionized the.
Speaker 2: Way he changed, He changed the game.
Speaker 1: How third he's played because thirteen's coop used to be clever short side players like Ray Price, incredibly tough.
Speaker 2: But underrated as playmaker. You know, guys like.
Speaker 1: But what they used to call it the thirteen in the English game was the loose forward.
Speaker 2: He was like a second five eighth.
Speaker 1: Clyde, come along mate, you knock the ball down the field, He get back and take play too.
Speaker 3: Going through the list, and so it is not the best player, but I so wanted to put Arthur beats it in there just because of without Arthur like origin isn't not what it is. What he did in that nineteen eighty game and what he's done for queens over passed. So he's almost the pioneer for Queensland. If I was to say who the pioneer for New South Wales is or was, who's that?
Speaker 2: Well, it's tempted. You look at guys like you Tomy donic As in the early years.
Speaker 1: But the one who taught, who was a big part of teaching New South Wales to win and what it took to win.
Speaker 2: Steve Mortimer.
Speaker 1: He was the captain in eighty five and and the players just said he was outstanding. Terry Fernley was the coach, but on minus N Terry Fernley gave a lot of the power to Turvy and Turvy just he rallied the troops and he got it done.
Speaker 2: Who was probably arguably.
Speaker 1: Of any New South Wales the best as far as the series concerned. The best captain is knocking a series because he just turned it around so much for us. You know, we were just under the pump every single you know, to sit us New South Walshman those early years and just you know, you bloke's just given it to us and to us to an extent, Coop, the old thing where they say New South Wales doesn't get orangin back then, we didn't, you know, the first ever origin game.
Speaker 2: I heard this one the other day was when, of.
Speaker 1: Course, Coop, you know the history where if you're a Coeensland and you come down and play for Sydney club. I was explaining this to someone the other day and sort of going the essence of white to coins Land hate New South Wales more than the other way around. You know, maybe that's not true, but and I explained it was that the really big Richard said Sydney clubs would sign the best Queensland players and as a result they had to play for New South Wales. And when that first game was announced for Queensland in all those Queensland players to return to Queensland and have those great players like Arthur return, they reckon it was just like the excitement amongst the things and like the Queensland side they said before the game and the build up were just right on the bit New South Wales night for the game.
Speaker 2: We're having a beer. They were drinking.
Speaker 1: It wasn't until they turned up to play that game at land Park they reckoned. They walked in and Tommy said to the term in the dressing room, hellmatee the ambushes, they said when they walked into land Park they were just getting abused and screamed up.
Speaker 2: He said, mate, this is this is totally well.
Speaker 3: That inspired a generation of Queensland. Is what Arthur did that side because you know Kevy tells in st about how him and his brothers fought cut through the fence wanted to be there. So multiply that by multiple Queensland people. That is a is a part of the history of why Queensland have a feeling and love and connection. When it comes to Origentie.
Speaker 2: Brod a Coop's club Land, what are you a bit of trained sporting? What are you go for me?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we've given this guy a huge wrap over the course of the air as a cartier. The Knights versus Dolphins, it was twenty or with about fifteen minutes to go and neither side got a field goal in Yes, the Knights won it. They got lucky. In my opinion, but this is a cartel with eight and a half minutes ago. He is in perfect position in a tight contest, but decides to run the football. They try and go for the try, bounces back in here and they turn over possession. He should have taken a shot. Then there's no doubt he's development. He should have taken it. A couple of minutes later, six minutes ago, it's a bit further out. He's on the left hand side, the right side for the right foot. It swings to the other side and kicks a ball. There's an opportunity to win the game for the Dolphins. Then the Newcastle Knights they get down to the other end and there's about a minute to go that Jones scores to try to win it. But look here, Koger tackled Klein on the left hand side, Crosslin comes from other side. Didn't even think about the field goal. That's about a minute to go on the clock. So I think there's a couple of things that both these teams really need to look at and understand that when you get inside ten in a close game and you can go for the tribe, but you've got to set up and have a crack. Particularly inside five minutes, it's your first thought.
Speaker 1: At what point, Coop, when you played, was the time to go for it? Because let's imagine it's twenty all and it's eleven minutes to go. Is that the do you get for the field goal? Then what is the point?
Speaker 3: Ten minutes was always my mark, But around that ten minute mark, being a right footer, I always shifted the ball, tried to shift it to the left hand side, so if I had the chance, I could just set back one in and take the shot, whereas if you go to the right it's a more difficult approach. But then inside five minutes less is more one to one to kick the ball. And the other thing too, is the time that you want to kick in is get your best play the ball with the fastest speed to take that run. It was Billy at the Storm, was Boy Corner at the Roosters, So you need to put some thought into it. But the simple fact is not one person in that field thought about it and didn't.
Speaker 2: Take the shot completely like a composure, What do you got for me?
Speaker 1: Well, mine is around great try scorers, and I'm going to talk about three guys here. Alice Johnson of course is on the cusp of breaking Kenny Irvines try scoring records. You need seven more. This will be one of the biggest storylines going into the back end of the year as we head in the.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I thought myself, do you think he gets there? Yeah? I do.
Speaker 1: I think he gets it. Cody, Yeah, Cody's back. Cody is vital to that. Apparently he's back this week.
Speaker 3: If he does get it, the game needs to make it a big milestone. I don't know if you open up the stadium or whatever you do, but it needs to be a memorable moment.
Speaker 2: It'll be massive.
Speaker 1: It'd be great to see, you know, as far as security consider, they might like you see the af L when Plaguerker did it and Buddy Franklin, they just flood.
Speaker 2: It'd be great to see something.
Speaker 1: But when he breaks out record, he's going to join a really exclusive club people like Ken Irvine.
Speaker 2: But I want to talk about the two greatest tri scorers of all time.
Speaker 1: Phil called Brian Bevan and the other fellow, which I'm pretty sure very few people have heard about unless you're a some Helen supporter Phela called Tom van Vollenhoven. Right now, so let's talk about this firstly Brian Bevan. Now you know, so we're talking about the record here Kenny Irvins called two hundred and twelve tries in two hundred and thirty six games.
Speaker 3: Alex Cahner twelve tries yep, two thirty six games.
Speaker 1: Now I want to talk about Brian Bevan for said coops, because he played.
Speaker 2: He started.
Speaker 1: He was born in Sydney and he played with your old side, the Roosters. Played eight games for the Roosters Brian Bevan and never scored a try.
Speaker 2: From there, he joined he joined the military, joined the navy.
Speaker 1: And before he left to join the Navy, he said to the secretary of the of the Roosters. He said, I'm thinking about jumping off the boat and trying my luck in the English game. And he said, well that sounds pretty good. Let me write your letter of recommendation.
Speaker 2: So wrote it.
Speaker 1: He spent his time in the navy, got off and he went to Leeds and he said letter of recommendation on it was Brian Bevan.
Speaker 2: I'd love to have a trial. They looked at him. Now got to understand about Brian Bevan.
Speaker 1: When Brian Bevan was twenty, he looked fifty he is the most unlikely looking superstar sports that you'll ever see.
Speaker 2: So LEDs looked at him, said not interested. When I went to the hunt to hundred one hundred.
Speaker 1: Hawks, they said, well if luds they went not interested leads, not just we're not interested. Last trial that ice he went to the Warrington to Warrington. They weren't called the Warrington Wolves. In Warrington, see can I get a trial? And they said, what the hell?
Speaker 2: Give him a guar.
Speaker 1: He played six hundred and twenty games for Warrington and he scored seven hundred and forty tries. Now if you go to Warrington, what seven hundred and forty tries in six hundred and twenty games? When you when you go to Warrington, you know, if you go there at the end of the year with the ashes design and you call through, you've got to go through Warrington if you're a regular person. And they got the statue of Brian Bevan there, so from a bloke who you know, no tries in eight games, ends up going to England and so good seven hundred and forty tries and they built a statue for him.
Speaker 3: And what era was Brian Bevan.
Speaker 1: In Bevan I think it was yeah, forties into the fifties and the sixties.
Speaker 3: Into the fifties. So when you went and watched Brian Bevan live ground.
Speaker 1: He could play. Yeah, maybe he could play. I said, young fellow, you've got a future now signed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, he did.
Speaker 1: Now the second one right, And I hope we're I'm boring people this, but regul league history is important. Tom van Vollenhoven, Now this guy was the South African rugby union star and I want to get into the politics on this episode of White A lot of South African players went and played English rugby league, but he signed. He swapped to rugby league and he signed with St. Helen's in nine fifty seven. He debuted against Leeds and apparently Hon debut bombed numerous tries and they're like, what have we signed here? But we go on to play four hundred and nine games, three hundred and ninety two tries. Incredible if you go back in rugby league history during that era. He had guys even before that called Harry Bath who was legend at Saint George. I do I think Harry Barth played about five hundred played out here, then went to England played about five hundred and something games.
Speaker 3: Even Johnston's record like was phenomenal. It is what he's doing at the moment, and for him to be able to get those tries be the number one on the list, like every record is there to be broken, but jeez, it's going to be hard to see that be broken again because he potentially has another couple of years.
Speaker 2: Well, keep me and things that.
Speaker 1: This is a really difficult leerate to play in because of number one, really organized defense, the tape videotape analysis, you know sitting there. I mean when these guys played a lot of times, their opponents the first time they would have ever seen anything of them was in their standing opposite them, where these days in rugby league there are very few secrets and be able to score the tries like aj has has been truly phenomenal.
Speaker 3: I'm going to give you some homework for a next show, Alex Johnson, John six tries work out how many Codie Walker has been involved in.
Speaker 2: She's going to go through some tape.
Speaker 3: There, just I want you to do that.
Speaker 2: A romantic week Coops. Listen, we're going to talk.
Speaker 1: About the Panthers and the Broncos potentially going on a run.
Speaker 2: We've run out of Triumph, talking about that next week.
Speaker 3: Mm hmmmmmmm