Speaker 1: Peto Quedlin Live from year twenty four.
Speaker 2: Good evening, Welcome to the program.
Speaker 3: Here's what's coming up tonight on Predline, Question Time back Today, Labour's migration reset in the housing crisis, topping the agenda, all the analysis with Tuesday Night regular our political editor Andrew Clennell coming up their legal migrant crisis.
Speaker 2: In Britain deepens.
Speaker 3: Mega Dinghy's now been used to facilitate hundreds of people at once to cross the English Channel. Sophie Ellsworth will join me plus befoll that continues over Anthony Albanesi's smutty comments about the Japanese Prime Minister, the ambassador doubling down a bit, calls for a personal apology. Our Prime minister still refusing and rates on hold today, but no end to the uncertainty for Australians who just want a break from cost of living pressures.
Speaker 4: We've already raised three times and we will go again if we need to.
Speaker 3: The first Census Night is tonight and everyone's been encouraged by the government to fillate your form so that the data you provide can.
Speaker 2: Be used to deliver the services that you want.
Speaker 3: Now and into the future. In the right locations around our country. At least that's the official line. But if you don't think the activists use the census as a weapon, then you are kidding yourself. And if you think that the independence of this tray and Bureau of Statistics means that the government has no hand in how tonight's census document is shaped, and think again there too. The Albanezy government has its fingerprints all over this census.
Speaker 2: While the ABS.
Speaker 3: Will tell you that they draft the questions and they do, the government is absolutely involved in the topics this year. As an example, that was the Albanezer government that asked for a question to be included about gender and sexual orientation. Yes, Labor put that in. Here is Jenny Telfer, the ABS General Manager in charge of the census, could bumi exactly this today in an interview with my colleague Kieren Gilbert.
Speaker 5: Politicians shape this? Have there been any has there been any political input to some of these questions, like around sexuality and so on.
Speaker 6: So the way the content and the questions work in the Australian Census, it is the Australian government who decided.
Speaker 7: The topics that we include in.
Speaker 6: The census, so they make that decision, and then they request the ABS to design a set of questions, a set of response options that statistically will give us the best data.
Speaker 3: So, while I tried hard, Jenny telferd there refused to disclose which minister or ministers perhaps prime ministers told them to include those questions on gender.
Speaker 5: When you say the government suggested this change or this addition on sexuality, which minister does that Who in the government makes that recommendation or that direction to the ABS?
Speaker 6: Well, the ABS actually makes a recommendation based on everything we hear through that consultation process. We make a recommendation to government on the topics we think are important to include in the census, and then the government ultimately makes that decisions.
Speaker 5: But the direction itself that just comes from government, not from is it the minister's office. I'm just trying to work out where it is.
Speaker 6: Australian government decision to include particular topics and to retain particular topics on the census for.
Speaker 2: They're try didn't it.
Speaker 3: Let's look again at the very issue of religion. Now, as I've shown you over recent weeks, this is an important topic and one where the activists have really been busy in recent years to this point, here's the former founder of the Sex Party if campaigning hard for the no religion vote tonight.
Speaker 8: You know, when I was younger, I went to Sunday School, I was christened, I was confirmed. I even growing up dreamt I was going to become a nun. But I'm not religious now. And so when you're asked on the census this week, what is your religion If you're not religious, now, mark no religion.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 3: As I said before, the order of the questions on the paper tonight matter as well. And the fact that the no religion box is the first box you can select when you get to the question, well that advantages those running that argument. You saw it there from Fiona Pattern that increasingly Australia is a secular nation because the first spot on any ballot benefits the donkey vote. That's why in an election campaign, when names are drawn out of the ha for a spot on the ballot paper, every candidate wants to be the first name at the top. And so when you have a question about religion and that top spot goes to the no religion camp or they benefit absolutely. As I discussed last night with polling expert doctor Dorian von Freehold.
Speaker 10: The current census framing is somewhat peculiar in that it's a checkbox question where the first option is no religion. Now, being a guy with a PhD in consumer psychology having lectured many a course on research methodologies, that's a rookie era. You fall straight into what's called the primacy effect, which means that the first option visible to respondence gets a disproportionate amount of eyeballs and is more likely to be selected.
Speaker 3: Now, when pushed, the ABS say that no religion up the top because it was the box that achieved the greatest vote at the last census. But how disingenuous is that at the last census in twenty twenty one, if you want to measure just one religion against no religion, in fact, it was Christianity that received the greatest vote. Christianity reported the ABS was the most common religion in Australia with forty three point nine percent of people identifying as Christian Now contrasts that with no religion that recorded thirty.
Speaker 2: Eight point nine percent.
Speaker 3: So if the order is determined by the largest number of responses, so why isn't Christianity at the top of tonight's census form well because of the way the question is framed.
Speaker 2: That's why.
Speaker 3: Because rather than give Australians a Christian box to tick, the ABS breaks down the Christian faith church by church, and so that means the Christian vote on the form tonight gets split. And because it is split rather than contained in a single box, the no religious crowd or they stay at the top.
Speaker 2: See why the frame of a question matters as much as it does. It's just like political polling.
Speaker 3: The question you ask can be as important as the answer you get. Now also understand this too. Of all the religions listed on the sensus form, it is only only the Christian faith that is broken down by denomination, so broken down church by church. No other religion gets this treatment. The ABS, as an example, does not split Islam into its distinct branches of Sunni Islam or Shia Islam. Nor does the census split Hindu into its various denominations. Heck, for that matter, the ABS doesn't even split out the no religion box either.
Speaker 2: Does it.
Speaker 3: If it was consistent, the AVS would have a box for the atheists, perhaps one for the agnostics as well. See what I mean? What also concerns me with this question on religion. Is the message we send as a country by leaving Judaism off the list of specified religions and requiring Jewish Australians to record themselves under other at a time in our nation's history where anti Semitism's never been worse, I would have thought that including Judaism on the form would be a powerful message that Jews matter and yes, you can give me all the reasons why statistically other religions are prioritized in terms of population. But given the ABS confirming today that the Albanezer government was involved in the development of the census, then for the government not to take this opportunity to send a signal to Australian Jews is disappointing. Now, why this matters as much as it does beyond the recording of faith or otherwise of Australians, is that census data is used across government, local, state and federal and what you measure matters. This data on religion will be used to plan for religious schools, hospices, perhaps hospitals of religious faith. It's used to accommodate ceremonies, cemeteries and other burial spaces.
Speaker 2: Trust me too.
Speaker 3: It will be used by some to argue for the removal of the morning prayer from our parliaments as it has been in the past. Even things like laws in relation to legalized prostitution and planning rules around brothels, all things that have been liberalized in recent years use census information on religion and faith as part of the political debate. Now, I'm not passing judgment on any of these things. My point is that when activist campaign for census language changes and questions to be included or removed, they don't do it out of the goodness of their statistical hearts, but do it because they have an agenda to change our country, and a big part in changing our country is the denial of our Judeo Christian foundations. There you go, be careful what box you tick tonight. Let's get the headlines out of canber now with our reporter Ribbon Spargo.
Speaker 11: Good evening. The opposition leader is facing a divided party room over gambling reforms. Five opposition backbenches used a coalition meeting today to push for tougher reforms. Four others warned against going too far.
Speaker 2: I want to make sure that we get the balance right. We think that we're nearly there. The conversations will keep going.
Speaker 11: Angus Taylor is negotiating directly with the minister as the coalition tries to settle on a position. A podcast in which Anthony Albernzi spoke about receiving a gift of melons from the Japanese Prime minister is dogging the government. A note from the Japanese government to dressing the gaff was leaked to The Australian.
Speaker 4: Will the Prime Minister apologize to the Prime Minister of Japan for his disrespectful behavior.
Speaker 12: I have a very good relationship with the Prime Minister of Japan.
Speaker 11: The Opposition leader also sought to pressure the Prime Minister over housing.
Speaker 13: Will the Prime Minister finally admit Labour's broken promises on capital gains tax and negative gearing have made millions of Australian homeowners worse off.
Speaker 11: I want people to have the opportunity to be the first in their family to own their own homes. That is something which is part of the great Australian dream. Ministers are refusing to concede. The government's changes to negative gearing and capital gains tax have led to the subsequent fall in House prices.
Speaker 3: For as I said Parliament. Of course that returning today first question time after a very long winter break and who better than the next scares Andrew klanaul our political letter to at News twenty four to pull it all apart Andrew Opposition today they went the Prime Minister about his comments on that podcast. Will get to those in a moment. But the feach today from the Coalition in question time really was housing.
Speaker 13: Labour's toxic taxes have tanked the housing market. Labour's broken promises on capital gains tax and negative gearing have made millions of Australian homeowners worse off. Can the Prime Minister confirm the average new mortgage holder is paying twenty nine thousand dollars a year more in interest alone.
Speaker 14: Rents have reportedly increased by ten percent since the budget just three months ago.
Speaker 3: Well, the Democrat James Carvell famously said it's your me, stupid and it was a lot of the economy today.
Speaker 2: What did you make of it, Andrew, Well.
Speaker 15: I think that's fertile ground here for your position, and I think the government's under pressure and you can see it in the way the ministers skate around the fact House prices have dropped because partly because of their policies, they won't say that, and that's been pretty ridiculous in interviews we've done the last couple of days.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it's biting out there.
Speaker 15: Whether or last, we'll see, but right now it's not a great position for the government. They're being seen to fumble a few things, that's for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and also I guess politicians have got big super accounts and perhaps wealth in other places and shares elsewhere. Ordinary Australians basically have everything they've got locked up in their home. That's the biggest as it certainly is for me. I suspect it is for you too, So I think out there in the suburbs, this stuff bites.
Speaker 15: All everyone says, you know, just a terrible time to sell. That's what you hear from people who various circumstances have to sell. They're really stuck in a bad scenario by these policies, that's the bottom line.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it doesn't.
Speaker 15: Affect enough people to swing meaningful votes unless it persists. But it is annoying people and they don't like to see their paper wealth go down, and they wonder where, you know, where it all goes from here and they're not convinced that the government's helping enough. And cost of living anyway, because inflation is still shooting up, so it's kind of has a bit of midterm slump about it. Of course, we know last term they had a midterm slump and they came back in once.
Speaker 1: So if I was.
Speaker 15: Opponents of the prime minister, I wouldn't be getting too excited. Well, particularly Liberal party down in eighteen percent with the Nats. But One Nation's probably the only people who should be a bit excited, but they should temper that excitement at the moment.
Speaker 3: I guess last time, though on the center right column, there was no one else but the coalition.
Speaker 2: Now there's obviously.
Speaker 3: Another aspirin and preferences make it difficult for a majority government to be formed out of the center right. But you can see that people are voting with their feet are away from the government.
Speaker 2: That's the problem. I think savvy people inside labor get this.
Speaker 3: They're already putting One Nation into a lot of the retrick in speeches and elsewhere, and certainly in a campaign sense. But I think a lot of them who think that they are not at risk from One Nation they've got their head in the sand.
Speaker 1: No, Peter. The feeling around here.
Speaker 15: I mean I saw a senior minister today and they're asking me about what's going to happen with the Liberal leadership, and I said, you need to be worried about one nation at the moment, and that person said, yes, we do.
Speaker 1: I think they're very really awake to it. They're awake to it.
Speaker 15: I mean they hear it, and they're electorates, so they're well aware of the threat. And you know, the British load Parties turned it around by changing horse right with someone from outside the parliament. And this is where I go back to my Malanowskis theory. I mean, Albanezy will go at a time of his choosing. I've no doubt about that. But I just wonder if the Labor Parties to succeed at the next election or not end up in minority government, at least they need something like that, a big change like that, as opposed to anyone they've got on that front bench. And I'm sure that will be throwing things at the TV and their officers listening to me say that. But I just think we're in an era of politics where requires that sort of thing, and so do your one nation and reform movements of have created that situation and things are just moving incredibly fast in terms of public sentiment. There's so many things we can do with technology that people aren't you know, they're not happy with the old way of doing things. They're prepared to try new things, and that's how the electorate's changed, I think.
Speaker 2: And look, I agree with you on Melanowskis.
Speaker 3: He's the best that Labour's got anywhere in the countries, but than anybody who's in the Parliament right now. I've got something on him in relation to this arial Commission. I'll get to that a bit later on, but you know, I think the Libs would be concerned about him. He's the old Labor right and this is why I think Labor is crazy to persist with this constant experiment that they're getting in Victoria and in Camera by letting the left control of the agenda, because the Left is fighting the Greens for space as opposed to coming in and taking voters off the coalition and obviously increasingly one nation.
Speaker 2: Is this why we're getting.
Speaker 3: This movement into the immigration space and what's happening with that because yes, Burk's from the right, but normally from the right. I mean he's been signed up to de elmen easy for some time. That speech was happening last week, then he got rolled and it got canceled. We've got this legislation now from one nation on foreign fighters. I mean, the real rise for one nation and the real fall for the government happened after Bondai. And yet labor is still very scared to get into this turf.
Speaker 15: Oh, they'll get into it next week. They'll do this announcement next week. Yeah, it's only going to be two weeks later.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, I'm hearing they're.
Speaker 15: Going to curb I guess some of this business with family reunion off the back of visas. But they'll probably cut the student visa intake, the skilled intake except for construction, health and defense jobs. That they're not cutting the number of permanent which is one hundred and eighty five, or net migration, which is two twenty from the budget. But they're about three hundred net migrations. So Tony Burk's got to outline a bunch of ways he's going to get to two twenty.
Speaker 1: And this will be about.
Speaker 15: Trying to instill some confidence in that, and of course they say it's got nothing to do with one nation, I mean pull the other one, you know.
Speaker 3: Yes, but they've they've never met a target that they have set. They've had a forecast in every budget and then nom has been well over the forecasts. So I hear that they'll go and announce stuff that people want to hear.
Speaker 2: But you know, Pinocchio, please, isn't that what they do all the time?
Speaker 1: Excuse me?
Speaker 3: And look, both sides to be fair, the coalitions talk tough as well. Hanson's number out there on migration is one hundred and thirty thousand, that's her average. Well that's where the Howard government was. That was where I think Abbott was promising one hundred and sixty. It's crept up after that, and it's gone on and on and on to the point that that you know, Morrison Zerra butt for COVID, take COVID out, Dutton zero as well.
Speaker 2: All of that was pretty shocking.
Speaker 3: So this has been a long time coming in the Australian population and this idea that somehow, you know, that they can bury their head in the sand. Both sides, both the Coalition and Labor here. I think there's a reckoning on migration. I think it is one of the biggest issues without a doubt this term and will be at the ballot box.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 15: I mean we've got an aging population and there's there's not many solutions in there in terms of like at least Peter Costello could point to the baby bonus, right, but there's not many solutions on that front. To the government, it's like they throw their hands up in the air and say we have to have immigration not so easy to sell, particularly when the housing doesn't move with it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well it's propped up.
Speaker 15: Scott Morrison's Budget's plenty of time, which I think is now.
Speaker 3: I'm equally critical, mate, I'm equally critical, and I was tough last night on my side for not putting a number. A lot of aspiration out there four or five months ago, but no number yet. Let's go to these comments again. The Prime Minister in trouble about the melon and the Japanese Prime Minister have a listen.
Speaker 4: Will the Prime Minister personally apologize to the Prime Minister of.
Speaker 13: Japan reject the assertion in the question disburb in Australia and Japan have never.
Speaker 1: Been closer or more strategically life.
Speaker 4: Will the Prime Minister apologize to the Prime Minister of Japan for his disrespectful behavior.
Speaker 13: I have a very good relationship with the Prime Minister of Japan.
Speaker 2: And then this response have a listen.
Speaker 16: Some media interpretations of that episode of that podcast have been misinterpreted.
Speaker 17: There has been a sensationalized reporting of something that, as the Prime Minister has been very clear about, has been mischaracterized.
Speaker 9: The comments and the remarks from the Prime Minister have been misinterpreted. The Prime Minister is very clear that he did not mean for those comments to be interpreted in the way they have by some media outlets and by our political opponents.
Speaker 3: Okay, Galligh is also the Minister for Women, not just the Finance minister. And please Andrew, he insults us, I mean melons that he does this one?
Speaker 2: Come on right?
Speaker 3: Why can't he just fess up when he MUCKs up, when he stuffs up, when he falls off the stage, when he lies. Why can't he ever admit when he's got it wrong?
Speaker 1: So I can't believe I have to say this on air.
Speaker 15: But his position is he didn't mean breasts right, that he was just juggling actual fruit melons. What do you make of that position, Peter.
Speaker 2: Kredlin, Well, they weren't like this, mate.
Speaker 3: He did them up here, you know, when you do the melons like that rather than the melons like that. Come on, mate, Like we've all been to a footy club before you and I grew.
Speaker 2: Up in the real world. We know what that is.
Speaker 3: Every woman knows what that is. And I think we're sick of the lies from this bloke. This is where the trust and the character deficits so obvious.
Speaker 15: Well, it looks seems to me like he's trying not to give the grab where he says that, right, so he just keeps saying that and then all not it mischaracterize this misinterpreter.
Speaker 1: They don't want to.
Speaker 15: Be, you know, like if he really wanted to go at the attack on it, he should probably just come out and say I find any suggestion that that had a sexual overturn insulting and just.
Speaker 1: Go for it. Like that's probably where he needs to be at.
Speaker 15: Otherwise he's never going to be able to sweep at as it looks highly offensive he's spoken of the Prime Minister. Since there's no problem their position is the Japanese have no problem. Their position is the ambassador who spoke out about it, the former ambassador in the Australian is disgruntled and their position is that he didn't mean it the way.
Speaker 1: He didn't mean it.
Speaker 15: To involve breasts. If I'd have to say that again, So that is their position. That's all I can tell you and the viewer, and you have to make your own judgment on.
Speaker 2: That, and I think people are.
Speaker 3: I'll leave it there, sorry, Andrew, we've had to say the breast word on airon boys don't like that, but us women are pretty comfortable with it.
Speaker 2: I'll leave it there, thank you. Let's go to the rate decision today.
Speaker 3: No surprises there, the IBA voting to keep the cash right on hold four point three five percent.
Speaker 2: Good news if you've got a mortgage.
Speaker 3: But of course there's still underlying pressures in the economy and they're not easy, are they?
Speaker 2: Joentymen?
Speaker 3: Now are the independent economists with EQ Economics Warren Hogan? Well, she was pretty quick the government today to say that rap cut wasn't even discussed at the board meeting, but that she says the board will not be afraid to raise rates.
Speaker 2: Worry, what do you think?
Speaker 16: Well, I'm surprised they didn't raise rates because the government went to great lengths throughout the press conference to emphasize the fact that they're probably going to have to. In fact, she stated which I sort of couldn't believe, that she personally thinks rates are going to have to go higher, which is an incredible statement from a Reserve Bank governor. So I think the fact that no one was expecting it or sorry the markets weren't pricing a rate hike today probably made it difficult for them. And they're certainly leading the market towards a rate hike in the next little while. And they've given us a set of forecasts which show essentially the Australian consumer buckling from here on in. And of course if those forecasts aren't met, a consumers can continue to spend, or various other elements like wages come in higher, inflation is a bit higher, then they will move. So they've set it all up for a rate hike. I think we should be all penciling in at least one or two and let's hope that's it.
Speaker 3: We saw yesterday that data from I think it was Westpac, one of the Big four anyway, that said their mortgage books down by twenty percent terms of applications. If you listen to the government today in question time, nothing that they are doing is impacting house values. They're not responsible for the full in auction clearances. It's nothing to do with the budget. Who's telling the truth here, the statistics or the treasurer.
Speaker 16: Well, the realities of our housing market are that we had the reversal of the rate cuts from last year earlier this year, and of course the start of the conflict in Iran and the shutting of the Persian Gulf had a big impact on what is a very sentiment driven market. And then of course the market was starting to weaken already, and then the government with no forewarning, no flagging, of this radical shift in policy. Really it's it's a generational type shift brings down in the budget. So to be able to identify exactly which of those three factors is the most important is hard. But there's no doubt that the market was slowing and the government has given it a really big kick. So you know, even if there's merit in these changes, which some economists think there are, other people don't, the fact is I think their timing was terrible and I think the standout feature of this market is just the collapse in turnover or transactions. Prices are falling, that's not unusual. They could get worse, but the transactions and the market have collapsed in a way we haven't seen before. And that's why the industry itself is hurting so much.
Speaker 1: Talk to me.
Speaker 3: About work from home because in Victoria it's not just the government controlling whether their public servants work from home or not. And they work from home, but the government's also got laws on the table in relation to private sector businesses. Now already under the Fair Work Act, people have to be flexible for certain circumstances or you know, reasons of kids being sick or whatever. But this will be mandated work from home days for the entirement of every private sector worker. There's a lot of pushback from business. Victoria's belly up bankrupt anyway. It's so far behind the other states in terms of getting people back into the office post COVID, Brisbane sitting everywhere else's getting busters. Victoria is a laggared that the new premier today has pushed it on the long finger, says he's not going to bring the laws in straight away. Reports today that if they do pursue this, one hundred thousand square meters of office space in Melbourne will be empty next financial year. In productivity, getting Victoria back on its feet, give me your estimate or your analysis of work from home.
Speaker 16: Well, in this case, it's just another highly misguided government intervention in our economy and in our lives, and it's going to backfire severely and rapidly because Victoria, as you allude to, is already on the precipice and it needs the government to be undertaking measures that help investment, help productivity, help get some confidence in the economy. This is not going to do that, and the business reaction has been visceral in the past week. So you know, Victoria is already a standout. Its unemployment rate is increased by twice as much as the rest of the country's in the last two years and is now over five percent. Its inflation is actually lower than the rest of the country, which sounds good, but it's actually a sign of a weak economy. You know, if they cut this immigration march, and in Victoria is very reliant on immigration and population growth to keep their economy ticking over, who knows if that tips them over or a measure like this, if it's enforced in the new year. The fact is Victoria can't cannot withstand too many more blows. And of course the issue is does that start to affect the rest of us. It's a really bad policy.
Speaker 3: Well we know it was under Tim Pallace, a former Treasurer, that he went to his mates in Canberra and tried to get a bailout. Thank goodness, Jim Chalmers didn't do it. But I guess the corollary here on this stuff too, productivity, work from home, all the other changes hitting Victoria.
Speaker 2: I mean, you just upshaw the jobs.
Speaker 3: You'll take the capital and the business out of Victoria. You'll send the jobs off to the Philippines, to a call center or AI will replace them. It's not that you'll get to work from home, it's that you won't get to work at all.
Speaker 16: Yeah, I agree, And look at the first glance, of course, this sort of thing just hastens the incentive for businesses to move to other states or given what's happening more broadly with these tax changes and talk of particularly young people looking to set themselves up overseas, to take the business overseas, altogether, which is a disaster for the whole country. Getting young, innovative, forward looking people out of the country is not a good thing. To your point, I mean, we have got a productivity crisis, which is one of the key elements underpinning a declining living standard in this country. It's not just that slow boiling frog effect of declining living standards. Now we've got political issues with the rise of one nation, and of course, in my sense, in my judgment, we are just right for some economic crisis to suddenly come out of the blue. In fact, I think it's the fear that something's going to go wrong that's keeping the RBO and hold for the time being. But these policies are setting us up for a major issue, and of course it's the reverse of everything we've done in the last forty years to build one wealthiest and best economies with the world's ever seen.
Speaker 2: I will live there on that very cheery note, Warren Hogan, thank you. After the break, closer look at the.
Speaker 3: Smoke and mirror strategy of labor and defense spending. What are they calling it procurement, dodginess or something like that, performative procurement. There you go and Tony abit Jez you got criticized for looking at is what one time in the parliament? What does he make of the melons in alban easy and the Japanese Prime minister that's next, welcome back. We know the boats about in the UK, but it's escalated enormously in the last couple of days. Hundreds and hundreds are in single inflatables at the moment they're crossing the channel. Those numbers are up very much yesterday. We'll get to that in a moment. Sofi elseworth But now to claims the Albaneza government has engaged in performative procurement to shore up its dodgy defense credentials after revelations had purchased air to wear missiles that he had to enter service and aren't even due to be delivered for years. Here to discuss this and more former Prime Minister of course, Tony Abbott, and now of course the Liberal Party National President Tony. Let's talk about defense because we you know, we look around the world, look obviously at the Straits of hor moves in Iran, but you can imagine what that would be if China wanted to operate like Iran in our region, If we think that's a constrain on fuel goodness me to our north. We've got all that talk obviously about about Taiwan. What do you make of this announcement by the government with these missiles on the absolute long finger.
Speaker 14: This is a government which is determined never to commit our armed forces to combat, and everything they are doing is about saying, well, we're not ready now, but we might be ready in ten years time. And frankly it's just not good enough. Capable armed forces need to be ready to engage in military operations at any time. This government wants to ensure that if the Americans ever asked us to help, they don't have to say we won't help, but they can say we'd like to help, but we can't because we haven't got the ability to do so. And I go back to the time in Descend twenty twenty three when the Americans asked us to send a frigate to the Red Sea and we refuse. This is the first time since nineteen fifty one when Australia has declined to direct American request for military assistance. And as I said, it's a sign that this is a quasi pacifist government that doesn't want to admit to pacifism, just wants to make the armed forces incapable of any serious military mission.
Speaker 3: Now, yeah, there's a real push on the use of our military for basically natural disaster work, constant humanitarian work. But you can't project a security posture unless you've got a threaten right, unless you've got the weapon behind your back that people know you will use it.
Speaker 14: The government is terrified that in the event of serious conflict in our region we might be asked for help, and they want to be able to say we'd like to, but we can't.
Speaker 3: Is that because the Prime minister's cowered by Beijing?
Speaker 14: There's no doubt that everything this government does is designed to appease Beijing. Why didn't we make more of a fuss of the Japanese Prime minister when she was here. Why didn't she get the chance to address both houses of parliament? Plainly, it's because this is a government which is terrified of upsetting Beijing. It wants to pretend that the relationship has been in a sense stabilized. Well, it's only been stabilized because we are basically in full cowtown mode.
Speaker 3: Let's play a comment from Shingo Yamagami. I know you know him well, of course, former Ambassador for Japan to Australia.
Speaker 2: Have a listen.
Speaker 12: This is not a porticon, no Portugal issue at all, and this shouldn't be treated as a partisan issue simply. This is a matter of de corum diplomatic propriety and also you know mutual respect.
Speaker 3: Well, you made those comments about the Prime Minister and the Japanese Prime Minister, and you'll have seen the brew haha over these melons. I made the point of it earlier on. I mean, you were skewed in the Parliament by Julia Gillard for daring to look at your watch. How does he get away with this? How do all these labor ministers say it's not sexist? You've seen it.
Speaker 2: Look you're a dad of girl. Come.
Speaker 14: Labour has dreadful double standards. The Prime Minister's comments were unbelievably crass. Now he apologized for the observations about Kylie Minogue, he should be man enough to likewise apology apologize for the observations about the Japanese Prime minister. Look, all of us make mistakes, all of us occasionally have lapses of judgment and character. But if you don't apologize. It doesn't just look like a lapse. It looks like a very serious character flaw and very serious lack of judgment, and frankly, that's pretty bad in our national leader.
Speaker 3: I just quickly make the point about the ABS and the census, and you know people trying to pretend that the ABS is independent. Well it is this idea that government doesn't have a hand in the questions that get on the form and the topics. Well, of course it does. That admission today from the ABS is clear. But on religion, you know, they split Christianity out by church almost to sort of diminish its its breadth and deep resonance with Australians, No other Hindu, Islam, no other religions split out by its various denominations, and that enables no religion, which is the largest group, to go to the top. But if you put all the Christian churches together tiny, they should be at the top.
Speaker 14: Look plainly, there is a green left establishment that doesn't like Australia and wants to change the way we are. It doesn't like our Anglo Celtic core culture, doesn't like Ajudeo Christian fundamental ethos, and they are always fishing for evidence to say that we're not really a basically Christian society, that we're not really a fundamentally Anglo Celtic culture. And this is all of a piece with this. The questions you ask determine the answers you get, and to be honest, they're waiting the questions to get the answers they want.
Speaker 2: Thank you for joining me. Thanks Tony Abbott.
Speaker 3: Remember we said that book he wrote about Australia. Who knew that a book, a positive book about our country would be so popular? Well, let me tell you it's sold almost one hundred thousand copies.
Speaker 2: No other pms at a book like it.
Speaker 3: All right, after the rate, we'll get to the UK channel because that stuff over there is huge at the moment, these mega diggies.
Speaker 2: So I for yours worth coming out, all right?
Speaker 3: That push for taxpayers to spend billions of dollars your money to hand it to Silicon Valley billionaires to build ARTA centers in Australia, that's not on what is it.
Speaker 2: We'll get to that in a moment.
Speaker 3: And out of the arrival of more than two hundred and thirty people in what's been called a single megadingy.
Speaker 2: This is an inflatable used to.
Speaker 3: Cross the English Channel, arriving into the UK early on Monday morning and significantly escalating illegal migrant issues. All the while the new Prime Minister, who's been there for about a fortnite, is on leave here to discuss this and more. News twenty four contributor. He's got Australia's European correspondent, Sophie Ellsworth. Well, we'll get to the bloke on leave after just getting into the job in a moment, Sophie. But this is just days after Nigel Farah has said he's going to copy the Abbott government template to stop the boats. I mean, even in nowadays, I didn't see any sort of inflatable device like that. One hundred people or more this would be huge news over your way.
Speaker 18: Well it is indeed, Peter. I mean you only have to look at the front pages of today's papers in the UK. I've got here on the front of the Sun not so small boat's crisis, and then on the front of the Daily Mail is similar. Front page day small boat's crisis becomes a big boat's crisis. They're saying that there was two hundred and thirty illegal migrants come in on this giant inflatable boat, which is more than the typical amount of passengers on an easy Jet flight. But Andy Burnham, the new Prime Minister, has said that the numbers that have come in illegally this year, which are about fifteen thousand, are about forty percent down on last year. But this is making the whole issue look fascical, Peter in the UK, and it's something that's making Britain's incredibly annoyed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's certainly showing up in Poling.
Speaker 3: So if you're Britain like Australia, I didn't mind migrants coming in. Welcome to migrants as long as they joined the team. But that's really turning around now. The hostility to migration is significant.
Speaker 18: It is, indeed, Peter, because as you know, there's so many issues here in the UK, pressures on cost of living, pressures that households are feeling every day and they're looking for some form of relief, and a lot of Britons are angry because they feel that people are coming into this country and they're getting a free ride. They're coming in illegally and then they're being allowed to be put up in hotels and given various amenities, access to healthcare, etc. And basically put in the system with years until their cases have heard of whether or not they should be here. But this issue just will not go away. And Andy Burnham's only been in office three weeks. He hasn't been very prominent on this issue, Pete up, but it is one that he is eventually going to have to come out and address properly.
Speaker 3: Well is that he'd been there for three weeks, but he's already been on leave Sophie.
Speaker 1: He has.
Speaker 18: Indeed, Peter, he had the first two weeks in office and then he took one week off. Now, in fairness in August it is recess here for the Parliament. But a lot of locals in Britain are really annoyed about this, saying he's just got the keys to ten Downing Street. Why on earth is he on holiday when we have issues all around the country. He's now on a national tour going around the country listening to Britain's about their concerns. But Peter, he's only been the job a few weeks and already the bad headlines are coming.
Speaker 2: Go Bank.
Speaker 3: It is to sit on his backside behind the desk, get the briefings and start to work. I think everyone knows what the problems are. He doesn't need to listen to people that he needs to look at the channel. That's number one problem and a whole lot more. I'll leave you there, so if you look like you're out there enjoying the beautiful British summer, it won't last long.
Speaker 2: Why you've got it.
Speaker 3: We'll catch up again soon after the break. The South Australian Premier Peter malanowskis a warning today over ai. I tell you I am with him on this. I know it's a shock, but I am. I'll get to that in a moment. My panel up next. All right, let's jump back into it all the issues of the day of U twenty four contributors lucy's Zelik and One Nation's National executive member Lee Hand said, ladies, and I'll use that word because I'll require you to follow me here. We'll get to a whole lot of issues in a moment. But back to melons and the Prime minister and the Japanese dignified prime minister. Ours is not so dignified. If you were watching a.
Speaker 2: Bloke go oh melons.
Speaker 3: Like this, would you think were talking about fruit or would he be talking about breasts, Lucy Peter.
Speaker 17: It's clear and obvious to everyone, right, we knew what the innuendo was intending there. He played well into the podcast as hands when she referenced Pamela Anderson. So it doesn't take a scientist, Store Einstein, or even someone that's on the business or in the business of consistently being offended to understand what him meant by those interpretations. I note that mister Clenell was very uncomfortable with the term breasts, but breasts, hey, that's what we all know that he was referring to in that moment. I think it's very clear and obvious. So the fact that it took the ABC over twenty five days to apologize, and that's now at last count, I think about thirty something days since that podcast went to air, and Anthony Albaneze he still hasn't acknowledged it, in spite of all the calls for him to do so, I think is pretty damaging in many ways. I agree with the former ambassador's comments and the fact that many of his labor front benches, his colleagues are arguing that you know, there was nothing wrong with it, and it's all just being sensationalized and you know, taken out of proportion.
Speaker 7: I think he's just.
Speaker 17: Leaning more and erring more on the side of it being about politics rather than just being about the truth. You made a mistake, front up and apologize. It's not that hard.
Speaker 3: And you're right to reference Jean to Ryan Hart theer again because Sonaitakahatchi is a woman on the right political right. Pauline Hanson's on the right, Jina Righthant's on the right. You or aur I am as well. We get no such protection. It's not sexism if it happens to us Lee.
Speaker 19: No, it's double standards, right, And it's absolutely appalling and so disappointing that the head of our state, our prime minister, can make inappropriate sexual innuendos.
Speaker 7: No one can mistake this.
Speaker 19: Every Australian, it doesn't matter who you are, understands.
Speaker 7: What this gesture is.
Speaker 19: And the fact that you can't own it, that you can't admit that you made a mistake and you continue to lie about it, speaks volumes about one's character. And I feel very very sorry for our Japanese prime minister that she's experienced this and whilst they've come out and said, look, we don't believe there was any ill intent.
Speaker 7: Interpret that a little bit further.
Speaker 19: They didn't say that it wasn't inappropriate, It wasn't said that it was isn't hurtful, And that's how I interpret it as well. It's not okay and the Prime Minister needs to apologize for his actions because it impacts all women those types of comments as well.
Speaker 3: And of course it was a podcast in that instance he was talking about shagging Carlie Minogue and somehow he wasn't talking about breasts in that same half an hour of Smart a Kid you not.
Speaker 2: But that's where we are. Let's go to those other issues that I want to get to now.
Speaker 3: The announcement by the South Australian Premier Peter malnawskis today it's a royal commission and he's announced into artificial intelligence. Now I don't know that I think it necessarily needs a royal commission, but we need a really big, detailed look at AI. We need to set some guardrails about it before it gets into Australia. And we've had the warnings from AI creators to say we're getting a beast now that's going rogue, and if it goes rogue, what are the consequences?
Speaker 2: Listen to the Premier.
Speaker 20: I'm worried that we're a bit underweight in the policy from the policy response that is going to be required to make sure we get the balance right between pursuing this opportunity where there are very significant productivity gains to be made, but also protecting the community from some of the risks.
Speaker 2: Out with AI.
Speaker 3: Now I said before Lucy, I'm one hundred percent with him. Here we go down the path of social media and after the horse has bolted, we see all this harm and the suicides of young people. We try and rate it in people like me and you and I know others have been saying, let's have some rules and protocols around AI before we let it loose. That's exactly what he wants to do. But all Canberra's talking about is the opportunity of data centers and the money they might make and renewable energy.
Speaker 2: We'll get to that in a moment.
Speaker 3: Rather than what melanowskis is talking about absolute common sense.
Speaker 7: Don't you think I couldn't agree more?
Speaker 17: And I think had many of us had the opportunity back when social media was just on a rise, Peter, if many of us back then had knew what it would have become, we would have all been arguing for safer and more robust conversations, particularly around the use of social media for children, for those you know, those guard rails to be explored, and for those conversations to have taken place. I don't think anything is lost by investing some really some serious time, thought and energy into this. And Milanowskis has just come back from the United States where he established a memorandum of understanding with open AI to explore the productivity and the parameters around they can improve such matters within the state public service.
Speaker 7: What's to say that we don't require that at a national level.
Speaker 17: When you listen to creators like Elon Musk, entrepreneurs in this space, they often talk about the fact that the horse has already bolted and now trying to keep it at a measured pace where the advancements are taking place almost weekly is impossible to restrain.
Speaker 7: So bring it on, I say.
Speaker 17: When he makes comments like it'll cost more than three million dollars, I'm comfortable with that, considering that they offer tens of millions of dollars to their local AFL teams every year, by the way, and.
Speaker 3: I might also add, you know you've got Chris Bowen out there wanting to use taxpayer funds through the Clean Energy Corporation to basically fund data centers provided they use renewable power, which taxpayers fund anyway, and the profit in all of that heads off to Silicon Valley. I mean, Lee, why are taxpayers when our hospitals need work, when our roads need work, when we should be spending the money on our own Are we going to make Silicon Valley richer?
Speaker 7: And look, let's just name this up.
Speaker 19: This is Labour's plan to double down on net zero, pure and simple. They're using AI data centers now to drive net zero in We know that they have a target of eighty two percent renewables by the year twenty thirty.
Speaker 7: They're not meeting that target currently, so how can we get there.
Speaker 19: We will ensure or that data centers must bring their own renewable which is intermittent power to fuel these data centers. But way we'll get the taxpayer to fund it, so it serves their purpose and nothing else.
Speaker 7: It is wrong.
Speaker 19: And if they were genuine about this, let's put it out to consultation for the actual taxpayer. Let's get some feedback, because you go around this country and the majority of citizens have deep concerns about these data centers.
Speaker 7: On multiple levels.
Speaker 19: So the fact now that the transparency needs to be exposed, that this is just driving in labors net zero scam and using another backdoor at the taxpayer's expense, and it's wrong.
Speaker 7: It's simply wrong.
Speaker 3: Spot on, ladies. I love that term gets under the skin of so many. I'll see you both next week.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 3: Lucy and Lee are a fantastic That's it for me. I've got a chicken roast at home to go home too, so I will enjoy and I'll watch Andrew as will you.
Speaker 2: He's up next