Speaker 1: Lateween General, Welcome to the late Base. Well, good evening.
Speaker 2: I'm James Macpherson with Liz Storer and Joe Hildebrand coming up tonight. It's Halloween and Joe Biden is biting babies. That's got nothing to do with Halloween. That's just Joe Biden. We'll get to that a little later. Plus, when we look at the papers, water bills in Sydney to jump by fifty percent as the city struggles to keep up with population growth, and Anthony Albanesi tells nervous MPs has nothing to worry about with his frequent flyer scandal. Well, we'll see all of that is in the papers a little later, but first, in a move that would make Dracula proud, Sydney's Inner City Council has literally sucked the life out of local Halloween celebrations. The local government ghouls have advised residents that when they're celebrating Halloween, they should celebrate it in a sustainable rather than spooky way, and it should be organic rather than occultic, which kind of defeats the purpose. They put out a social media post advising residents, let's avoid the horror of single use plastics during the spooky season. Plastic bugs and synthetic spider webs are especially dangerous. Wildlife can ingest these items by mistake or get caught in them.
Speaker 1: Leading to injury and death.
Speaker 2: We can all enjoy the spookiest Talloween possible without impacting wildlife. It was reported that the post listed straw, sheeps, will twigs, sticks, cotton wool, and organic food waste as natural materials that locals could use. On the other hand, fishing, rope, string, twine, yarn, cottonwool, and balloons were discouraged under the subheading do not use now. Local residents have reacted in various ways. Some are really upset, saying the government should just butt out of their Halloween celebrations. Others have been upset that they only had this warning two days out from Halloween, giving them a lack of time to prepare more sustainable decorations. And then a whole lot of other residents were really upset, saying we've already put up plastic spiders and cotton spiderwebs, and now our neighbors are going to judge us as being unenvironmentally friendly. I would suggest if you're dressing as Satan or a demon, or a ghost or a vampire, and you're worried about being seen to be environmentally not friendly.
Speaker 1: You're probably doing Halloween all wrong.
Speaker 2: But the question I've got Liz and Joe is how could the council have put out this advice without someone in management saying no, no, no, this is not a good idea. It makes me wonder if perhaps the council will operating on skeleton staff.
Speaker 3: Oh, James, James, it's just a genuous.
Speaker 4: Moment silence to respect the moment in time that comedy died. No, that was amazing. I live in the Inn West Council. I live in the out Inn West Council and technically I identify as a resident of Canterbury Bankstown just to give some Southwest Sydney cred.
Speaker 5: But I can tell you the.
Speaker 4: Like anyone who anyone who has written this clearly doesn't understand how ween the decorations go up young.
Speaker 5: The decorations basically start going up in September. Yes, you go to.
Speaker 4: Ashfield Kmart, they're already pushing Halloween stuff in August like it is just it is the biggest seeing of the year. Now with kids, they get more excited about this than anything else. Yes, that's because they're a bunch of godless pagan Satan worshipers. But it's nice because they're kids and everything is geared to us. Like you know, you go to Camar, everything is like a dollar. It's all plastic, it's all despisable. So firstly, if they are actually going to put something like this out, for the love of God, I at least know your audience, know your rate payers, and do it with more than two days to go. Secondly, look straw sheep's wool. It's a lot of lannel and sounds a bit greasy. It sticks to twigs or whatever. But organic food waste? How are you meant to use organic food waste?
Speaker 1: What to do?
Speaker 5: What I mean?
Speaker 4: I've had I had a live actual part can be carved out and actually decomposed and became food waste on top of the gate in real time. But it wasn't food waste to start with. And then I'm saying food the same food white, So what are they I don't get it.
Speaker 5: What are we.
Speaker 3: Missing to decorate the house in rotting food?
Speaker 6: What is there not to understand? Look about this.
Speaker 3: Directive from the council, The question is what's next? Are you going to tell people don't put up Christmas decorations. Can't have fairy lights anymore. That's churning through electricity that shouldn't be used.
Speaker 6: We've got to.
Speaker 3: Save the planet, seriously, but out of people's lives, especially while giving you're a local council, we're going to assume you're probably not on top of roads, rates and rubbish, because none of you guys are nowadays. So here they are lecturing people when, like you say, if any of them took a drive through the.
Speaker 6: Inner West, they would have recognized this ship.
Speaker 3: Has already sailed. Okay, people have had their decorations up for the better part of a month, and now you decide to send out missive to your residents and rate payers just to preach at them for having a bit of fun, but out of people's lives, And of course then they always get the like, oh no, we are doing the right thing, by the handful of Karens, who then.
Speaker 6: Get in touch with them and are quoted.
Speaker 3: In this article saying thank you for calling this out, can you just please bean it all together next year?
Speaker 6: And speaking of Karens.
Speaker 3: While staying in the Inner West, one lady has taken to social media to post to her community at large to say, please don't be putting up fake spiders because I suffer from arachnophobia, which is a fear of spiders, as you most likely already know.
Speaker 6: So please, can everyone just know spiders?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 3: Check out this neighbor who put a ginormous spider in her vicinity not having seen her post. Obviously this wasn't deliberate, but she was making reference to it in her post, saying I can't even walk down this road anymore. People need to take their spiders down.
Speaker 6: Here's a local legend though.
Speaker 3: Defending his neighbors ginormoust Halloween spider.
Speaker 7: This house behind us has sparked a little bit of controversy on social media, with some arachnophobes saying they don't like the fact that there's a massive spider there and it's scary and they can't actually walk past the house.
Speaker 1: What do you think about the decorations.
Speaker 8: I think the decorations are fantastic. I believe the decorations bring fun to the community, to the kids.
Speaker 6: Now, anybody that says they're enclophobia whatever it's called.
Speaker 8: A few of spiders, Okay, if that spider was real, I'd be scared of that spider.
Speaker 6: But that spider's plastic.
Speaker 8: So this complaining about it is just a wage generation.
Speaker 6: It's stupid, and.
Speaker 8: Just enjoy it for what it is, because the person who puts it up puts a lot of effort to get that up there.
Speaker 3: Well, said Perry, This wokes generation life hard, get a helmet, stuck it up, buttock up. But seriously, what's next from these councils.
Speaker 6: What are they going to start there.
Speaker 3: Eaching at people saying you've got to buy the toilet paper made out of recycled paper.
Speaker 6: These guys just.
Speaker 3: Seem to find ways every single other day to preach their own values.
Speaker 4: Sound like you put up you know, you put up a plastic spider. You know, you get the Inner West council all upset because they think that a plastic spider is actually more dangerous and deadly and scary than a real spider. I think maybe the Greens have gotten back in charge overnight or something and taken over from Darcy, and then if you put a real giant spider on your house, suddenly their actifobes are upset.
Speaker 1: Well, an answer to your question is whider councils do this?
Speaker 2: I think it's easier putting out a missive encouraging people to use organic waste for Halloween than it is to fill potholes mow lawns in local parks.
Speaker 1: It just strips clean. So it's just.
Speaker 4: Can I say, if people wanted to see organic waste and real life skeletons, they could have come to my student sharehouse in the nineteen nineties, not just all October thirty one, any night of the way you like.
Speaker 2: Well, the Climate Council have worn that climate change is no Halloween trick, but rather things grim.
Speaker 1: The CSIRO have released.
Speaker 2: Their twenty twenty four report warning of warmer temperatures and rising sea levels, which I suppose is why the Prime Minister now has a house on the beach front. But Climate Council CEO Amanda Mackenzie said climate pollution is hitting Australian families hard and the consequences are playing out in real time, making our fire seasons longer and the rain to arrive in sudden heavy downpaurs. Unfortunately, the State of the Climate report is not a Halloween trick. It's a grim reminder that we have no time to waste. It's a frightening read. She says, one of my favorite parts about the Climate Council's take on the CSIRO report is they said that every Australian should be scared reading this.
Speaker 1: It's a frightening read.
Speaker 2: And then they go on in their press release to decry the fact that there is so much existential stress, particularly amongst young people worried about climate shape.
Speaker 3: They go on to talk about people's mental health.
Speaker 6: You don't think you might be a driving factor in that people.
Speaker 3: Of course, you can take this science with a massive cup of salt, I would suggest, given it is generated by their CSIRO and the Bureau of Meteorology, both government funded and therefore sadly taxpayer funded bodies. And I don't know about you, but I've looked up enough research to know that you can pretty much figure out the outcome of any research before it's finished if you just look at its funders.
Speaker 6: Would go so far as.
Speaker 3: To say, we're never going to get anything out of either of these organizations. That would have said otherwise, it's always a matter of which experts you're listening to in this space, and we all know that anyone who disagrees with them is gagged in a cupboard somewhere and never gets to see sunlight.
Speaker 4: You talk about funding leads, but I want to talk about fun and the spin doctors that put the fun into funding, because everything you can guarantee.
Speaker 5: Just like the Inner West Council.
Speaker 4: Says, let's avoid the horror of single use plastics during the spooky season, the Climate Council says, Unfortunately, the State of the Climate report is not a Halloween trick.
Speaker 5: It's a grim reminder. It's frightened to it.
Speaker 4: It's like, just don't do if you're going to just scare the Jesus out of people, just do that.
Speaker 5: Like, don't don't do the dad joke y. Just leave that to the professional.
Speaker 3: If you want to people to jude you seriously, maybe leave Halloween out.
Speaker 6: Of it, but genuinely.
Speaker 4: Will there isn't just a Hollywood sequel with a global conflict.
Speaker 3: We know that roughly forty percent of our main energy is already powered by clean energy. We know our inept government is getting up that percentage as fast as it possibly can.
Speaker 6: What do these people want to do? What more do they want from us?
Speaker 3: We are already paying for this green dream every single day and every single way.
Speaker 6: Things are only going to get worse. For US power prices are only going to get more expensive.
Speaker 3: They're only going to ban the wooden cutlery next because all the plastics are gone, et cetera, et cetera, and so on. The sacrifices that people are going to be continue to be asked to make, despite the fact Australia is still only responsible for one point three percent of global emissions.
Speaker 6: Reading this report, you'd think we.
Speaker 3: Were at China sitting on thirty five percent of global emissions.
Speaker 6: What more do they want?
Speaker 3: The reason why I think they still generate these things is to add credence to what the government is going to not only continue to ask from you, but in.
Speaker 2: Single it's parts of the Climate Council precis that really amuse me. They say, we are now living in an era of climate consequences. What is a climate consequence? It's hot, so I wear shorts as a consequence. Talking about that perfectly happening climate pollution is hitting Australian family is hard.
Speaker 1: What's climate pollution? I mean, I know exhaust but where the pasterns now pollution goes.
Speaker 6: They're not talking.
Speaker 3: About clean air, though, are they They're like, no, it's climate.
Speaker 4: But I think that The problem is that, I mean, I'm sure all the facts in this report are true or whatever, and politically and psychologically it is just such a strut.
Speaker 6: The bomb hasn't gotten any.
Speaker 4: The worst thing you can possibly do as to this point is I be climate catastrophs, because then when any of your predictions don't come true, this will be all over you like a rational a baby and she.
Speaker 5: Like a cheap suit, like a like Al Gore on a turkey.
Speaker 6: Okay, that's that's a better.
Speaker 4: All over it good point being. And many of my other friends who think it's all a lot of bunkom as well, will say, well, look, you got this completely wrong. Why should we trust any of it?
Speaker 6: And that's what happens, Like all the farmers, you've got to from the.
Speaker 5: Really extreme predictions. That's right.
Speaker 4: And the other thing is that it just makes people switch off if people think it's all too hard. And again studies have been done by this. Political campaigners know it. If you say it's all rooted, and no matter what you do, it'll still be rooted because we're already dealing with the consequences and it's already too late. But you still have to ruin your lives to fix it anyway, people just say, well, nah, that's instantly goes into the too hard basket. And of course people right now are thinking about anything but long term consequences or whatever, because they're trying to just get both cost of living so they'd be much better off. They just said, look, here are the things that are doing. Liz just presented the fantastic news that we're getting about forty percent of our power from renewables because of Chris Bowen's.
Speaker 5: Great works as fast as canon.
Speaker 4: It's going so fast that they're bringing more and more projects online a head of schedule, and so you can say that to people, and again, I know a lot of people won't agree with those projects, but look, this is happening. It's going to be okay, And as long as we keep doing this, it's going to be all right.
Speaker 6: Why are we.
Speaker 3: Still squandering tax payers which is literal just fabs.
Speaker 5: Humorous bureaucrats and humorless.
Speaker 4: There's an entire industry obviously around this where they just need to keep making more dire and die predictions. They don't realize it's a form of sort of self perpetuating virtue signaling among the kind of bureaucratic, you know, white collar left, and they don't realize how off putting it is to.
Speaker 5: Everyone else except them.
Speaker 4: And again it's a mistake that you left elites or whatever you want to call them make all the time where they think everyone just agrees with them. Everyone sits around at their dinner parties and talks about how terrible climate change is. Everyone reads the post from the Inn West Council on Facebook.
Speaker 5: Tam good point. I'm glad someone called this out. I mean, I imagine thinking I'm glad someone.
Speaker 4: Called out single use Halloween decorations interestinate the Karens.
Speaker 5: But again and the Karens and the climate jeez to all the camps. I realized I wrote it. I wrote a com about it has to be publish yet.
Speaker 4: But the left doesn't realize how utterly hateable they are to everyone else when they go on like this, that normal people look at them and just go.
Speaker 5: What the what world are you living? Just go away, leave me alone.
Speaker 1: I mean chatter.
Speaker 2: This headline from the Guardian cold start to spring caes Australians lose use thirty more gas than last year, even though the price was up to and the Guardian report this like this is some amazing fare. You people need cheap, reliable energy and renewables aren't cheap and they're definitely not reliable and it gets completely power.
Speaker 1: But the other thing with this the whole you know, it's grim. It's not a Halloween trick. It's grim.
Speaker 2: But at the same time we're talking about Anthony alban easy flying all over the world using Quantus frequent flyer points. This should scare the mission, and yet we've.
Speaker 1: Got flights everywhere.
Speaker 5: I'm sure Alan Joyce offset them for it. Yeah, it's all fine.
Speaker 4: Still going to teacup everybody, does they come on? You would to anyway?
Speaker 6: Welcome back to that great.
Speaker 5: Story from pages of the Daily Telegraph today.
Speaker 4: Absolutely huge albow otherwise obviously doing a fantastic job in every single spear that he turns his mind to. Nonetheless, the Albanezi government has been likened to Indigenous mission managers, which if you want to leave three history books, is not a good thing. Who are disregarding the voice of Aboriginal communities. An explosive meeting of New South Wales Land Councils. Now, this all has to do with a mine near the town of Orange or gold mine that was worth about a billion dollars. It's called the Blaming Mine. And what happened was the local Aboriginal Land Council said, yes, we want it.
Speaker 5: It's great, it's fantastic.
Speaker 4: It's going to give us jobs, it's going to generate a huge amount of income for the community. It's going to make a huge amount of economic benefit for indigenous astrante, which is exactly what the PM once. Good on him, he said, that's going to be the new practical way we move forward now that we don't have the other voice. Fine, fantastic, terrific, really really good state government. They had to look at it terms absolutely fantastic, awesome, We're we're going to get two hundred million bucks worth of royalties. Sweet as what could possibly go wrong. We get money. The local Indigenous community is happy. Fantastic, fantastic, fantastic. Then at the eleventh hour, some random group that no one has ever heard of, this random, weird breakaway described as fringe Indigenous, a cultural group that again no one's ever heard of, including the actual official Indigenous local groups, springs up and says Tania Plibu sec Oh, no, there's some kind of weird bluebellied bee that no one's ever heard of. And the story of the dreaming of this bee takes place near the river where this tailings dam of this gold mine is going to You're keeping up, everybody is going to be right. So an imaginary bee that no one's ever heard of, that appears to have been invented by this person, by a group no one else, no one ever heard of it. But as farisman I has a tiny amount of members, and this person is there spokesper is now stopping this one billion dollar development. And that is why these people are meeting, and that is why they are absolutely filthy, because the government, having just promised to deliver economic benefits to indigenous communities through economic development, has just done the very opposite thing with this decision. And it's entirely based on what appears to be an entirely imaginary, without foundation, so called dreaming story that none of the other official actual Aboriginal elders in the region appear to have heard of it.
Speaker 5: And there's more give it to us. It turns out.
Speaker 4: That the woman at the head of this new organization, which specializes in Indigenous cultural heritage, used to work at the same local Aboriginal land Council that wants to go ahead with this mind but spoiler alert, she was an Indigenous, or at least she wasn't then she didn't identify despite working for the Indigenous Land Council at that time.
Speaker 6: The head of the local Aboriginal Land Council.
Speaker 4: Orange Aboriginal Land Council said at this meeting that she was there when this other person worked there, and what when she worked for us, she didn't identify as Indigenous all of a sudden, now she's an Aboriginal woman, curious heir and curious heir.
Speaker 2: So the allegation is that Tenure Plivasek wanted to stop.
Speaker 5: I didn't want to bring her name into mine.
Speaker 2: I know people will find this very difficult to believe, but apparently she was trying to plus sate Greens in her electorate to shore up her own vote.
Speaker 3: So I have to do the work in placate a reason plicate was it placate whatever she was to.
Speaker 1: Make them happy?
Speaker 2: And so what with the official local Land Council saying we're happy with this mine, She needed to find some Indigenous people who were not happy and it didn't matter how indigenous or not indigenous.
Speaker 1: They really were.
Speaker 2: So that's the big beef that the local Aboriginal Land councils now have. They're accusing the government of going out and in the words of Nathan Moran from the Metro Local Aboriginal Land Council, they're finding stat deck blackfellows.
Speaker 1: Those are his words.
Speaker 2: Basically, anybody who will identify as Indigenous support what the government already want, and then they'll use that as their excuse to cancel developments in order to not help Indigenous people but to shore up votes with the Greens.
Speaker 6: And how's this right?
Speaker 3: Because a lot of Indigenous people would be watching this play out go well, hang on a minute, even if we did get the voice, would you just sweep them aside when the decisions.
Speaker 6: That they make aren't up your alley?
Speaker 3: Because that is exactly what the Albanesi government has done here the Local Aboriginal Land Council, as Joe explained, the state government wanted it, the Local Aboriginal Land Council wanted it. This was going to be very good money wise for everyone around, everyone involved. And then Plemacet comes along and because these randos who claim to be Indigenous, but we're told their spokesperson isn't sounds like she could have sour grapes.
Speaker 6: Oh my bad, my bad. Then we're just tossed aside.
Speaker 3: So why do you have us Aboriginal land councils. Why do you pay us this fake homage? Say that we're really important, say that we get to have a very chunky, decent say in such matters, and then once we've made a decision, you just wipe it.
Speaker 6: Off the table like nothing's happened.
Speaker 3: Here's Annette Steele speaking at the local Aboriginal Land Council.
Speaker 6: She's the chief executive here.
Speaker 3: This is the line that's made the headline, her accusing the Albanese government.
Speaker 6: Of course, Joe wasn't going to go this hard on them, wasn't. No, I'm making up for.
Speaker 3: Accusing the Albanese government of being no better than mission managers back in the day.
Speaker 1: But it's a federal decision.
Speaker 3: The federal decision is always out of rule the state.
Speaker 5: It's a bit like.
Speaker 6: Mission managers, you know, yes.
Speaker 3: The state that say to the state, yes, we hear you, we know, we understand what you want, and then do the exact bloody of a server.
Speaker 6: We'll tell you what you want, We'll tell you what you need.
Speaker 1: And that's all you've got.
Speaker 6: So that's my kind of beach to set.
Speaker 1: Off the day.
Speaker 3: I know it's probably cold comfort to the Land council, but at least you know you're not being treated any.
Speaker 6: Better than the rest of us.
Speaker 3: That is, that is how all tax pay is here in a struck treated.
Speaker 6: We tell them what we want, we get nothing. We come with our begg and go we get ignored.
Speaker 3: So listening to that, I was like, you know what we often strike up about the lack of equality and how Indigenous people get seen to have more of a say in different parts and in land councils and all sorts of land claims.
Speaker 6: At least in this respect they're being treated exactly.
Speaker 5: Think that's right.
Speaker 4: I think that what you can't say in defense this is not an outcome, or this isn't something where Tanya Plippers said, right, I've got to find a mind to block and I need someone to say it. I think she's been played off a break. I think she's under obviously a huge amount of pressure from the Greens and from get Up in her electorate, which is very very lefty. They're constantly protesting against her, sending petitions against her, and I think when she saw this come through and thought, oh god, this is of indigenous significance, she would have thought, oh no, I can't be responsible for another Duke on George. Yes, Duke and Gorge. You know they're going to kill me for it. But I don't think it was something she was going out of her way.
Speaker 1: I think she just got panicked.
Speaker 4: I think she panicked and made what she thought was a genuinely nice, you know, genuinely thought the right decision. But she's been played by these people who do not seem to speak for the actual It's.
Speaker 3: So transparently like nobody's not seen through this. One of my favorite quobcom and it still was, do not use Aboriginal culture as a political tool to over turn decisions or use it as a strategic.
Speaker 6: Framework to keep the Greens on side?
Speaker 9: Right?
Speaker 6: What you did it?
Speaker 5: That's right.
Speaker 4: And it does seem to be the case of you know, someone from there thinking they're helping out with people, but actually not knowing what you're going on.
Speaker 5: Sankfully.
Speaker 4: One government body that does listen to the concerns of Indigenous people and arguably to the exclusion of all else, is.
Speaker 5: The Paramatter City Council. Go power power on the ra a few times.
Speaker 4: Paramattat City Council has been criticized for having both too many strategies but not enough Liberal Council councilor Stephen Issa has panned the council's end of term report it's called the State of the City Report, having too many strategies but not enough practical outcomes categories such as the environment and housing. But the real kicker here is the diversity category that fell short of solid projects for the fifty three percent of people born overseas from one hundred and thirty two countries, but only ticked the box of what they were doing for indigenous diversity. So well, this a little bit of diversity over here, But all the other stuff, all the other backgrounds that come from thirty different countries and make up a much greater volume of the population, we just sort of haven't done anything about. So they can only deal with one diversity, which by definition diverse they claim.
Speaker 2: They claim they're meeting their diversity targets by doing things for zero point eight percent of the population that's the indigenous population. In paramatter, one hundred and thirty two countries ignored thirty different religions ignored, but zero point eight percent of the population some programs for them diversity achieved. The other thing that this liberal councilor brought up was that they have He said, I'd give the council an a plus for strategies, just no outcomes. But he said, they've got force strategies for LGBTQ people in Paramatta, but not a single strategy for cost of living, trying to help people with mortgage stress, anything like that. So thick a box issues that councils are committed to. When you dig down into the detail, there's nothing there.
Speaker 6: Pure hot air. That is what you are funding with your rates.
Speaker 3: I'm so sorry to tell you another story of such a smuzzle.
Speaker 6: But to the US now where we know.
Speaker 3: Yesterday Joe Biden was caught on camera saying in an interview that Trump supporters were garbage. Well, in typical Trump style, he's just leaned right into this landing in Wisconsin today to start campaigning in what is a crucial swing state. He had a Trump branded garbage truck meet him at the airport and climb aboard to give this important message.
Speaker 10: I think that the comment pay by really both of them, because you're really two of them about being garbage. Maybe two hundred and fifty million people, they shouldn't be talking. That's like deplorable Vail.
Speaker 5: This is the deplorable Hilary. And I think this is worse.
Speaker 10: Actually, how do you like my garbage truck? This took is an honor of Kamala and Joe Biden.
Speaker 3: You got to hand it to his PR team. They do not miss anything. Then, of course he took to the stage in Wisconsin and still was beating the same drum.
Speaker 10: You can't be president if you hate the American people, which I believe they do.
Speaker 6: Is he wrong? Is he wrong?
Speaker 3: I mean, I love this from Trump and he's still got his sanitary outfit, being like.
Speaker 6: Yes, I'm a sanitary worker. He was also doing the YMCA dance. You know, that jerky dance that he does is very.
Speaker 3: Iconic Trump dance, but he left it on the entire rally and it's just it's made another iconic Trump moment. So while the Dems are calling hundreds of millions of Americans trash, He's like, well, I'll show you what trash is.
Speaker 2: Shape demonstrates the difference between Democrats and Republicans in the US. When when the Democrats get upset, they cry, they riot, they.
Speaker 1: Loot department stores.
Speaker 2: But when the Republicans get upset, they create funny memes. They turn it into a joke, and they make light of the whole thing.
Speaker 1: People have been.
Speaker 2: Creating all sorts of videos going viral online.
Speaker 1: Have a look at this one.
Speaker 2: Someone has tweeted, my whole neighborhood has just voted for Donald Trump.
Speaker 1: Here's the video evidence. And someone else after.
Speaker 2: Joe Biden said mega supporters a garbage, said here's the.
Speaker 1: Video of me and my mate on our way to vote for Trump. Honestly, Joe, when you.
Speaker 2: Respond with humor, you just can't lose. You win the argument every time when you respond with human.
Speaker 5: Well, again, that's right.
Speaker 4: And this is exactly the same as Hillary Clinton's deplorables moment, where she referred to half of Trump's voters as a basket of deplorables. And all of a sudden you saw all of social media light up with people changing their official their official program deplorable.
Speaker 6: That's right.
Speaker 5: And again, partly.
Speaker 4: Because it's just so absolutely absurd, you see the number of people doing that, you think, well, they can't all be deplorables. Otherwise, the whole country is deplorable. And again this idea, I mean this idea that the left has by sneering at or looking down on their opponents or saying that they're not actually you know, it starts with saying, oh, they're not educated enough. We don't want to say that they're poor, white trash, they're just not educated enough. And they saw that after the Voice referendum result. And then it just goes on and on and on until you have people saying the quiet bit out loud.
Speaker 5: And this is what Joe Biden does.
Speaker 4: Again, what an amazing intervention from Joe Biden a week out less than from the pole. Trump is actually in the frame and in a bit of trouble for having the comedian make the joke about Puerto Rico, and so there's a bit of you know, there's a bit of backlash. You know, some people are saying there's hundreds of thousands of Puerto Ricans in you know, say Pennsylvania for example, and this could maybe turn that swing start. It's about the only hope that Kamla Harris has got. I mean, honestly, if you're pinning all your hopes on that, good luck.
Speaker 5: But who knows.
Speaker 4: Praying for a miracle, the closest she's actually got to maybe just pulling off Americal win. And what is Joe Biden ther He says, oh help, and don't forget.
Speaker 2: He said that when she's giving a speech talking about how we need to unite Americans by to stop pointing fingers and instead join arms.
Speaker 6: Contradicted in the same brank.
Speaker 1: But Biden did not help, by the and they don't garb it.
Speaker 5: But this is the thing that they do.
Speaker 4: They have been so utterly and this is just the latest in the most catastrophically incompetent campaign from two of the most catastrophically incompetent and yet somehow incredibly vain and egotistical people I have ever seen in politics anywhere ever. And the Democrats cannot be rewarded for this. The Democrats have to lose this election for the sake of American democracy, because if they think that they can pull this off and get their levers on the nuclear codes and their hands on the most powerful nation on the planet after such absolute incompetence, making the wrong decision after wrong decision every single step of the way, from using the courts to prosecuting him from failing to tell Joe Biden that he had to step down when they had the chance, then being too late after public blasting, and then putting in the worst possible candidate, the candidate who did worst in the Democratic primaries leading up to twenty two. We ever got Albacamo effectively installed as president without having to go through any primary at all in the next election.
Speaker 5: This is madness.
Speaker 4: And these guys say that Trump is a threat to democracy, and these guys have been pissing all over the.
Speaker 3: Another reason, another reason why these guys have to lose, if that brilliant tirade wasn't enough for you, is all their campaigning on is lies.
Speaker 6: While Trump is on.
Speaker 3: The ground in Wisconsin doing his best to win over the swing state, so is Kamala Harris. And look what she's telling this rally here. You will remember every single one of these talking points that she's making in the clip you're about to see, Trump has denounced repeatedly ad nauseum, and less than a week out to the election, it's still all.
Speaker 6: They've got outright lies.
Speaker 9: He would ban abortion nationwide, yes even here in Wisconsin, and he would restrict access to birth control. But IVF treatments at risk.
Speaker 3: What are you talking about, lady, the Trump administration. I'm just freaking it into being power of the spoken word. The Trump camp has said from the very beginning, because the Marla campaign has been beating this drum as soon as the feet hit the ground in this campaign, and the Trump campaign has been batting away these allegations from the very beginning. Here we are days out to polling day and they're still just telling out right lies. Are we talking about such a highly emotive issue. They know that they can still get votes out.
Speaker 2: I got confused for a second. Are were talking about the American election or the Queensland election? It is a little bit rare similar. I mean, Donald Trump is not banning abortion, as you said. He gave the decision back to the people by allowing the state and make that decision. So when it comes to the Democrats, black is white, up is down. Everything is topsy turvy with them. They accuse him of violating democracy when he's the one trying to give decisions back to the people. They're the ones lying and trying to impose their will upon people without opportunity for them to vote. Just before we go to a break, I need you guys to help me with my Netflix viewing, because there's a program on Netflix at the moment that is very popular. People have recommended it to me. I have not watched it yet. The Mendez brothers, Menandez, who apparently murdered their parents, and so the Netflix series goes into all of that. But now there's news that because of that series and the publicity generated, yes, they could actually be released from prison though they murdered their parents.
Speaker 1: Help me understand this and do I need to watch this program?
Speaker 3: So this was back in the eighties, Correct me if I'm wrong, Joe. They did indeed murder their parents. That wasn't in any dispute.
Speaker 6: They agreed, yes, we tiled our parents.
Speaker 3: But then what came out in the original trial was that well, actually the original trial fell over. The next trial they alleged that they had been sexually abused by their parents.
Speaker 6: And now given is actually a.
Speaker 3: Really interesting study in how society has changed over time, because over the last forty years, people's awareness understanding of sexual abuse, especially towards children, has changed exponentially, grown massively, and so now you've got all this awareness raising by these Netflix programs. One of them's a movie, so it's a a docrum, yes at dramatization, and another one is a documentary and you're listening to the brothers speak from jail. So this has raised a heap of awareness about their case. In particular, there's people holding rallies outside of courts and the jail in which the brothers have been for a very long time now, saying set them free, set them free. So just last week they were granted approval to basically be resentenced. Have they done the time? The sticky part in all of this is there's no proof. How could you possibly have proof of allegations of sexual assault that date back to the eighties. The parents are obviously dead, so they can't bring a case to defend themselves. It's a very very interesting one to watch, and I do recommend watching it because you yourself are torn as more and more facts come to lights as you keep watching the episode.
Speaker 5: Isn't it.
Speaker 4: It's a weird kind of and I make no pronouncement on their yellow innocence, but it's a weird. It's actually a kind of incredibly sophisticated trial by media, like would actually say, countless cases in recent years where if there's someone out of jail who you think should be in jail, you just make a podcast or a Netflix series about them, and in they go, And that's happened. If there's someone in jail who you think should be out of jail, you just make a Netflix series or a podcast about them, and out they come.
Speaker 5: And you know.
Speaker 6: It didn't work for the making of a murderer guy.
Speaker 4: No, but it did work for ad Nan said who who the first real sort of massive true crime podcast serial. They went through it in a Baltimore case I think it was, and he I believe, got released. And it worked for the Teacher's Pet Headley Thomas's podcast for The Australian, in which a guy who'd been out of you know, walking free for decades, suddenly after this podcast and amazing, like terminator like reporting back in he goes.
Speaker 5: So pair of Project Media, huh, we're going to go.
Speaker 1: To a break.
Speaker 2: When we come back, we'll look at what's making news tomorrow, including Anthony Albanezi trying to reassure his MPs there's nothing to worry about with the Quantus Frequent flyer fiasco.
Speaker 1: Well we'll see in just a moment. Welcome back.
Speaker 2: Well as if it's not bad enough that power prices are going up. Water prices are going up in Sydney as well, Joe.
Speaker 1: That's on the front page of tomorrow's Telegraph.
Speaker 5: Yes, that's absolutely right.
Speaker 4: The greatest newspaper in the universe is leading with the story Bill Shock on Tap, which is also the first time I believe the Telly has used the phrase Bill Shock in a splash without referring to Bill Shorten. So remember, but water changes to jump fifty percent in population, but water bells are set to jump by more than fifty percent over the next five years to keep up with Sydney's booming population growth.
Speaker 5: And that's obviously the.
Speaker 4: Cost associated with building all the new infrastructure and upgrading. I've got to tell you, I accidentally looked at my power bill the other day and they are just going.
Speaker 5: Through the room.
Speaker 4: I've been deliberately just thinking, I can't even bear to think about it. I know that we're hemorrhaging money and stuff, but that does not surprise me. Fifty percent in five years, it seems that every ut was just going shower once a week, burn bom, boom.
Speaker 6: Nothing for the garden, And why already.
Speaker 2: Shower once a week people keep people keep being assured that the government's doing everything they can about cost of living, and then you keep waking up to headlines like this.
Speaker 4: Although it has to be said that inflation has come down, it is two point eight percent and otherloid power bills and fuel especially among those things that are falling. So a bit of good news, but still no rate cut till after Christmas.
Speaker 6: Until I feel it at the Bowser.
Speaker 3: I'm not saying hallelujah to the front page of the odds Now. Mainstream versus elite chasm widens ahead of federal election fight.
Speaker 6: The wadening gulf.
Speaker 3: Between Australia's elite and mainstream classes is carving out a two speed electuate, forcing Anthony Albanezi and Peter Dutton to shore up some more support among splintering voter bases in previously safe Alp and Coalition heartlands.
Speaker 6: Love a good class war.
Speaker 3: Nothing makes a elections more interesting than a good class war.
Speaker 6: And have we got that? Have we got that illustration? Can you see that at home?
Speaker 3: Maybe too small, but the numbers are extremely interesting.
Speaker 5: It's huge.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so what we're seeing And again people, I've been warning about it for years.
Speaker 5: You look at what's happening in America and Trump where you have.
Speaker 4: Workers, people of lower education, lower incomes, they are turning away from the labor or labor aligned parties that are supposed to be representing them and turning to populous candidates, and reflected in the Brexit result, was reflected in Trump's twenty sixteen results, I suspectedly reflected in Trump's twenty twenty four result. And it's what's happening in Australia as well, where you're seeing, for example, Peter Dutton and the Coalition because they're sort of more muscular now, they don't have to worry about all those LATI DA Teel seats and they're able to appeal more directly to tradees for example. So trade is blue collar workers are now sweeing to done. Now, if blue collar workers are actually turning away from the labor Party, well that it's just not the labor party anymore.
Speaker 2: I'm just not so sure that it's an issue of education or wage. There's a lot of people whose success depends on, you know, complying with the narrative, right, So the division here elites are more likely to support strong action on climate change than non elites. The elites are more likely to say that migration is a great thing that's making the country better, as opposed to non elites who say that they believe immigration is changing the country and they fundamentally don't like it. It's the elites who are more likely to say safety and crime is not so much of a problem than the non elites who say this is a big problem. When you get people working in the public service, the art, certain sections of the media, climate change, immigration, all those things, I mean, you've got to toe that lot.
Speaker 5: Reason it's otherwise.
Speaker 4: The reason it's linked to education and wiage is because if you've got a tertiary education, you're far more likely to believe in all that stuff that we just mentioned. You're far more likely to earn more money. That means you are more likely to live in a nice area where you are less likely exposed to shrime. It means you're more likely to live in a big house in a less crowded area, which means that immigration is less of an issue for you. It means you're comfortable enough to be able to afford to worry about things like climate change because you're not worried about the cost of.
Speaker 5: Living in the here and now.
Speaker 4: And the kicker I think is you're also more likely to be as white as a polar bear in the snowstorm, which means that you are not first or second generation migrant families yourself who might have very old fashioned or traditional or conservative social values. So things like LGBTQUI. However many letters there are now stuff you think is just ridiculous. You know, you're a Greek Orthodox, or you're a Muslim or whatever it may be. So I think that is why it sort of plays into those things. And we saw with the Voice, and that's all you have to do is look at the vost The whitest, and richest and most tertiary educated electorates were all the ones that voted for your voice, whereas all the battlers, or the migrants or the working classes.
Speaker 2: Right all the public service Canberra was the only Judah poshernis that's right that we voted, which fits almost.
Speaker 5: Personally a dead rap ven diagram.
Speaker 4: I mean, Camber's got the highest Greens vote, the highest Progressive vote and.
Speaker 3: Everything absolutely to the second splash on the front of the oars. The PM is really we're almost a week in to his Quantus scandal and he's still now trying to convince his party room. Oh it's nothing, nothing to it. PM tell's ministers Anthony Albanezi, whos sought to reassure his ministers the Quantus flights upgrade controversy will blow over, while unable to say if anyone in his office requested an upgrade on his behalf with the Labor MPs frustrated the government's message is being stifled just months out from an election, the Prime Minister told a meeting of his full ministry yesterday that he had done nothing wrong and was the victim of unfair media reporting. Now we barely know anything because every time the PM tells is something, it just raises a lot more questions. But one thing that he has said is that I never called Alan Joyce to ask for these freebes. Well tonight here on Sky News we have an exclusive a recording of that call between the Prime Minister and Joyce.
Speaker 5: Alan hel Alan, I don't eat any enough.
Speaker 6: Allen Allen, Allen, Allen, Allen.
Speaker 3: You heard it here First lives, Lives and more lives from answer and.
Speaker 5: We can do investigtive journalism too.
Speaker 2: The fact that Anthony Albanezi is meeting with his ministers and the first point of business is to reassure them, don't worry about the quantus.
Speaker 1: It'll blow blow over.
Speaker 2: Shows that this is a major issue. The first thing they're talking about is not cost of living anything else.
Speaker 6: It's this being a labor MP and a marginal seat.
Speaker 3: Be like, oh, that's so reassuring, thanks, Prime Minister.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if it was going to blow over, he wouldn't be talking about it. The reason he's talking about is because he's worried it won't. Let's go to the front page of the Townsville bulletin. Premier vows to act on mayor. Townsville deserves so much better, christ Fully says, proud city dragged through the mud thanks to the mayor. David christa Fully has given his clearest indication yet he's prepared to move on Townshell's embattled mayor, saying Troy Thompson has left the city with a tarnished reputation. Mister chris Fully says he was really looking forward to receiving legal advice on what steps his government can take next.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: The current mayor of Townsville is under investigation by the Crime and Corruption commission because he apparently made false statements about his military record, his university outcomes, and his business qualifications when he.
Speaker 1: Was campaigning for the role of mayor.
Speaker 2: So the Labor government under Stephen Miles issued him with a show cause. He responded to that, but then of course the government went in the caretaker modes.
Speaker 1: So now it's sitting on David cru Fooley's desk.
Speaker 2: David Krusa Fuley is a former deputy mayor of Townsville, so I would suggest he would be personally.
Speaker 1: Motivated to get this thing sorted.
Speaker 4: Actually, it's a little bit more complex than that. The former premier, Stephen Miles, asked Troy Thompson, the mayor, to show cause, and the mayor did in fact show cause, but it turns out the cause was also fake. I just love quickly pull up the front page again. I just love the fact that this guy, the mayor, just has a permanent bit of real estate on the Townsville board in front page. That little inset in the bottom right hand corner has been on the front page of the towns pretty much every day. Like the substate think, yeah, we'll just leave it on.
Speaker 2: We're going to go to a break fit stick around because coming up Joe Biden biting babies.
Speaker 1: Of course it's coming up in a moment. Welcome back.
Speaker 2: Remember when Donald Trump said that migrants in Ohio were eating the cats and eating the dogs, Joe Biden said, hold my beer.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: In fairness to Joe Biden, the baby was dressed as a chicken.
Speaker 1: Perhaps he got confused.
Speaker 2: And in addition to that, Biden's dog Major has bitten people twenty four times in the White House, so it runs in the field.
Speaker 3: There is no excuse for that, especially for the old man we all know best as a child sniffer. Google that if you haven't watched the creepiest compilation of the man who is currently leader of the free world. But get this and ABC American station had a little grab during their coverage of the gwand PRIX on Sunday. Sorry the Mexican Guandprix, nobody freak out, you haven't missed out, saying that Kamala had one Pennsylvania just magically, somehow, ten days in advance, fifty two percent of the votes apparently she got, compared to forty seven percent for Republican challenger Donald Trump. There you can see it down the bottom of your screen. Is this a prediction? Is the world but a stage? What is going on here? Of course, the conspiracy theorists are now sounding cancel the election.
Speaker 4: Now it's fine, but you see that up is embarrassing. Check out the results. In nineteen forty eight, when incumbent President Harry S. Truman pulled up a shock victory, the New York Times decided they'd go to Chicago Daily Tribune, I should say, decided they were. You know, it's all done and dusted, No way can come back. Dewey defeats Trumans, I say, Harry S. Truman thought that was pretty sweet.
Speaker 6: Indeed is Truman grinning of the rock law?
Speaker 1: Well that's all we've got time for. But don't go anywhere. Coming right up is the Ride Pendity Show. Good night,