Speaker 1: I get our team, craig anthe arper, it's a year project. It's Schilespo. It's Cook, who's very excited because one of Melbourne's most excited Bogans has just brought herself what's called a new exhaust system for her motorbike because she thinks her motorbike is not loud enough. So she's just gone from a three star Bogan to a five star Bogan and now the cops are we chasing her with her new illegal muffler.
Speaker 2: Congratulations, thanks Harps, I'm so excited.
Speaker 1: What precipitated you spending all of that money to literally just make your motorbike more obvious to the cops.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't do anything illegal in the bike, so that doesn't bother me. But once you recognize that you feel like you're scooting around the street on a sewing machine. That awareness never fades and it was going to bother me for the rest of eternity.
Speaker 1: Well, that's only because you've got a friend. And I say friend, then inverted commas everyone and wink, whink, nudge nudge. Special friend who rides a what's he ride in India and rides and he's got a loud exhaust. Has he so you had exhaust envy?
Speaker 2: Yeah, everyone's got a louder exhaust to me, And don't you start.
Speaker 1: I've got no idea. What was that ride?
Speaker 2: Once? And I heard you start your bike?
Speaker 1: I'm all very street legal, glespo. Have you ever ridden a motorbike? Yeah? I didn't think so, no.
Speaker 3: Desire whatsoever to ride a motorbike. And I thought the way you made them louder was to go out with a screwdriver and punch holes in the muffler.
Speaker 1: Well that until until the seventies, that was the that was the practice. But we've kicked on a little bit since when you were dirty.
Speaker 3: And then you get to fend a grand and put an attachment on Insteadae, Well.
Speaker 1: That's a cheap that's a cheap one too, That's all right. That is very cheap because she bought it off gum Tree whatever that is. I feel like I have no idea. But is gum Tree dodgy or is that legitive?
Speaker 2: Now it's legit. It's just a secondhand platform. This is a platform where you can sell things a marketplace. But there's plenty of dodgy people on there.
Speaker 1: Of course, there are David James Kevin Patrick allSPI. It's five point thirty seven as we record in Melbourne on the sixth of November. It's quite an historic not atif, and it's quite an historic day in the world because they are stumbling towards the finish line, or striding brilliantly towards the finish line of the American election. Any thoughts, any predictions? Do you give a shit? Do you pay attention? You are a lawyer, I would think that you do have a fleeting interest.
Speaker 3: Oh no, I have a lot of interest in it. I think America is about to make a very very bad decision. I think they're probably going to elect Trump at this stage, that's what the numbers look like. And I think that's very very bad for America and then as a consequence, bad for the rest of us eventually.
Speaker 1: Well, we could do a whole episode on that. Just yes or no, sociopath or yes or no?
Speaker 3: Oh definitely. Oh, but then again, that's that's that's not a hard question when you're talking about politicians. I mean, your ninety nine percent answer is yes, definitely. It's you know, now convinced me I'm wrong. Really, start from the proposition that you're talking about a psychopath when you're talking about a politician and then find evidence that perhaps they're not.
Speaker 1: Well this time tomorrow, I think, well, know, so let's let's not have any political debates. But that's not what we do here. I've consciously avoided doing We've never.
Speaker 3: Not once talked about politics, and this is and my opinion is not really about politics. I'm not a Republican or Democrat. I'm just looking at the things he says he's going to do and the likelihood that he will do it, and how that's going to be some pretty bad outcomes for the world.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, Well, time will tell, and I just hope there's I hope there's not a civil war. I hope there's.
Speaker 3: I think it's less likely if he wins, because the people who would lose are a likely to accept the result, and because they believe in democracy and be aren't the armed crazy people or have less of them.
Speaker 1: Wow. Wow, all right, So if you don't know everyone, we've got a page for the podcast, which is brilliantly named the You Project Podcast Facebook page. Tiff and I worked on that tielessly. We had a team of branding and marketing people. We paid thousands. It took about three weeks, but we finally came up with a you Project podcast as the name of the page.
Speaker 3: So I want to know about I'm going to interrupt you here because it brings to mind a story back in the tech days when I was in the tech industry and I was heavily involved in a partnership with Intel with a startup that I did in the United States, and we were working with them closely on our chip that they were about to bring out, which ultimately was released as the fifth version of the Pentium chip that they released, And they had a huge marketing team with a massive marketing budget aimed at trying to figure out what to call this thing. And then after about or six weeks of deliberations and user surveys and focused teams and all that sort of crap, they came up with Pentium five, which was the successor to Penum four. Wow, that was worth the money?
Speaker 1: Did wow? Did you? You would have recoiled with bloody amazement and admiration for the time.
Speaker 3: We were all in shock. We were in shock. We would never have predicted that that would be where they would have gone, because they'd gone from Pendium three to Pentium four, So it was you know, they could have gone anywhere with the who.
Speaker 1: Would have seen that? Yeah, that's probably one of the great creative master strokes of all time. And and was there a subsequent pentem six?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah I think so. Yeah, yeah, no doubt.
Speaker 1: After much deliberation, now before gillespo bloody rudely interrupted me. Everyone, Yeah, I was saying, we got this page. Anyway, on this page you are more than welcome to there's no hooks catches genders, but become a member of the just jump on and click. I don't know how the fuck you do it. Actually I've never done it. You just click something ti shaking it. I don't know. Speaking of branding and.
Speaker 4: Marketing, and I'm shit at selling my own stuff, but it costs nothing but a bunch of people get in there and talk about the podcast and or perhaps who they want to have on coming up, or suggestions or ideas for topics that we might explore, and also of like.
Speaker 1: A young mister Gillespie is sharing. And I don't like complimenting him because you know he doesn't need it, but he does write brilliant fucking articles, and so most of his articles are going up or the ones that he sees fits put up on our page. So not only can you listen to him once fortnite, you can read his stuff. And so, speaking of that, let's start with I didn't talk to you about this one before we went live, but the trust apocalypse, Why honesty is our only hope and the kind of the hook your preface was is trust becoming a luxury we can no longer afford. Feeling a little dystopian lately, supermarket of a charging you, politicians lying to face kindently being spied on. You're not alone. My latest article is about the alarming erosion of trust in our society and the serious consequence it brings. And there's more but that will kick you off. Open that door if you would, gless Boat. Yeah, so.
Speaker 3: It's one of the fundamental things that we've talked a little bit about this before. But we're an unlikely APEX predator because we really have nothing to recommend ourselves as winners of the evolutionary fight. You know, we're sort of meet on feet really, you know, no no fangs, no venom, no armor, no nothing. So and yet we own this place. So what's our evolutionary advantage? It isn't our good looks, It isn't how loud our motorbikes are. It's oh maybe it's it's it's that we work together well, Withers. We're the only species on the planet that can cooperate with strangers in that. No other species does this. Now, there's other species that work well in family groups, you know, elephants, for example, chimpanzees, things like that. They'll work together in large family groups of you know, uncle's, nieces, nephews, etc. But they don't work with strangers. They don't get together with strangers and arrange themselves in large groups of hundreds or thousands, or in humans case, minions of strangers who are all cooperating towards a goal. Now we're the only ones who do that, And people might say, oh, yeah, but what about ants. Well, ants are essentially one organism with lots of moving parts. They're not individuals working together there and organism. So but with humans, we're separate organisms cooperating with each other at really large scale, which means that when we're going to take down the wooly mammoth or the saber tooth tiger, we've got twenty mates will help us and we can cooperate in real time and trust that none of them will stab us in the back. And that last bit is the important bit. What allows us to work well with strangers is that we trust strangers. Our number one first go to when we think about whether or not we're going to work with someone is we default to trust. We assume you are not going to double cross us. Now, sometimes we're wrong. If we're dealing with the psychopath, we will probably be wrong because they will see that we trust them and exploit it against us. But for the vast majority of us, the other ninety five percent of the community, we trust each other on default, and that trust is what allows us to work together. It allows you to sit in a room with people sitting behind you and have you not be anxious about the fact that one of them might stab you in the back. It allows you to focus your energy on building an outcome that is greater than the sum of the parts, because as a community of one hundred people working together, you can always do more than an individual can do. Just because you don't have enough time, even if people went out to get you so talking about your page before you've got what three and a half thousand people on that page. As a community of three and a half thousand people, they can work to solve problems and share information because they all trust each other and that's what gives it the power. They can do much more there than you can do on your own. And so the piece is about the fact that that's eroding now in modern society, is that we're increasingly ending up in a position where it's every man for himself, so the community assets draining away. We're not able to trust that the community will look after us, We're not able to to believe that those in power have our best interests in mind. And people often say, well, well, yeah, that's the reality. I understand that. That's why you've got no one volunteering to do touch shop anymore. It's why non volunteers for anything, because it's every man for himself. When it's every man for himself, most people lose. And a society that operates on every man for himself will always lose against a society that doesn't, because the society that doesn't has the power of the community working together. And the only way to bring that back into a society is with honesty. Demand honesty and transparency from those in power, punish them when they're not, and you will have people behave in the best interests of the community, whether they're psychopaths or not, because the only way to get ahead is to have the community to support you, and the only way to have that happen is be honest with them so that they believe you. Older listeners in your audience may well remember a time when politicians were punished for lying. Where a politician lied to the population, no matter how little it was about, no matter what it was about, they'd be unlikely to ever win an election again, and they'd probably have to leave office as soon as it was discovered. Now that doesn't happen. Now politicians lie continuously to us and are still in the job. And that's because we let them do it. It's not like we're falling for it. We know they're lying to us, but we let them do it.
Speaker 1: It's yeah, I was thinking, we'll come back to the politics, but in terms of like trust, and this is a funny thing, but it relates. I've thought many times because I've been riding motorbikes since I was eighteen on the road, right, and you trust when you're on a just to say a single lane rode, so one lane each way, Like I'm riding one way, a truck or even at is the other way. They just need to deviate a little bit and I'm dead and they've got a dent, you know what I mean. It's like you're trusting that everyone is going to do what they are meant to do legally on the road, because when you're a motorcyclist, of course you're very, very vulnerable, and you are relying on other people's I guess, not honesty, but other people's intention to not hurt you and to abide by the law and do what's required. And I even think that sometimes because I live on a busy main road and every time I want to go get a coffee, I haven't got across that busy road. And sometimes when a car's going by me, it's like the difference between being fully alive and fully dead is about two feet. Yes, you know this car go you know if yeah, if that one foot It's like there's a car going pass me at sixty k's if that car hit me full on, I'd probably be dead, if not, you know, next to dead. And that's like whizzing by me, like all they've got to do is not concentrate or worse still, be a fucking psychopath, you know. And I'm dead, you know, but you just I stand on the side of the road and I literally I'm inches from where they're whizzing by. Its sixty k's thinking that they're going to stay on the trajectory they are when I get to the edge of the road.
Speaker 3: And I mean, there's lots of mechanisms to enforce trust, one of them being that they would be punished if they did run into you. So policing is an effective way of making enforcing people or making them trust and corporate. But you can't police everything all the time. And it's really trust. Someone famous whose name I can't remember, once said trust is like air. When it's there, you don't notice it. When it's not, you notice it very very quickly. And that's what it's like with trust. So we've had a recent example of the air being sucked out of our society in the form of the trust being sucked out, and I mentioned it in that piece. It's last week we had the report into the COVID reaction of the response of Australia COVID and what they found was that the response of government in failing to properly explain what they were doing, failing to have evidence behind what they did, and the overreaction in terms of the enforcement of lockdowns and so on. It it took a massive impact on the trust that society has in public health authorities and and and it's translating through into other public health initiatives now. Now people are less likely to become vaccinated, are less likely to comply with public health directives because they don't trust the authorities because whilst they complied at the time because they didn't have a choice, what's happening now is the blowback from that. And yes, that's what That's the thing about trust. When you suck it out, which is what happened there, when you burn that credit, when you when you erode the trust when you need it, it won't be there. People won't trust you, and they won't do what you want, what you need them to do. And that's happening. That's one example, but it's happening across all of our institutions in society. Is that more and more we are becoming aware that we're being lied to and the result is we don't trust those in authority, which means we won't do what they want us to do because we're thinking about every man for himself, and whilst that might be an immediate thing that protects us, it's a bad thing for our society.
Speaker 1: M Yeah. It was such an interesting time. It was such like a weird intersection of of like biological and sociological and commercial and medical kind of interest. And I remember Brett Sutton or whatever his name is, standing up or he's the see just the Victorian once if or that I think he's the spect Yeah, yeah, and like emphatically going well, you know once you I think it was him that said, or it might have been a lady I forget, but basically, you know, once you're vaccinated, that's it. You can't you can't get COVID or you can't infect anyone else. It's like, well neither of those things were true, and and we unequivocally know that you know this, this works, and it's like, well, no, lots of people got vaccinated and then fucking had COVID, you know. And I think there was quite a bit of evidence to say that once you've had COVID, that's a much better a vaccine in inverted commas than the vaccine itself. You know, like your immunity is much greater post COVID than post vaccination, but nobody wanted to talk about and yeah.
Speaker 3: It's the trouble with that is And I think I heard someone say it at the time. I can't remember who it was. I'd love to give them the credit for it, but some expert got on the radio or something and said, one of the risks we take with this in overstating the efficacy of these vaccines because they knew they were doing that, just as they know they're doing it with the flu vaccine, right, I mean, the highest point that the flu vaccines ever reached in terms of efficacy is something under fifty percent, which makes it basically means it's a matter of chance, and that's the highest point. So you know, they knew they were doing that with the COVID vaccines as well, but they felt that the public health outcomes were more important. Is that the risk that they're running by doing that is that they make people believe that applies to all vaccines, and it doesn't. So there are vaccines with extremely high efficacy, but if you lie to people about a vaccine people translate that across to every vaccine, and that's a very bad thing for society because then you have people not trusting something that they should trust.
Speaker 1: What do you think would have happened if the you know, the leading medical people that were shoved in front of microphones at that time had have said, look, we don't know, we don't which is good, true, we don't actually know, like we think this, we believe this, but we don't unequivocally know because this is new.
Speaker 3: The good thing is that there's actually a lived example of a country that did exactly that, and that's Sweden. So unlike every other country in Northern Europe, Sweden went down a path of not doing lockdowns and not doing vaccine mandates and all of that sort of thing, and it essentially, you know, when it all boiled down at the end of the day, years later, it worked out that they had the same outcomes as everybody else. So they didn't go through all the economic pain of lockdowns and so on, and they didn't go through all of those mandates and they arrived in the same place. So it's great to look at these things with twenty twenty hindsight. It's different when you're in the heat of the World Health Organization running around saying it's a deadly pandemic, et cetera, etc. But one of the things that came out of that review was in making pronouncements as if they had evidence when they knew they didn't. People had a sense of that and went along with it because of fear and enforcement and so on or whatever it was. But they still had an abiding sense that they were being lied to. And we have as humans a good sense of when we're being lied to, even if we do nothing about it. We know when we're being lied to by a politician or a leader, or a business or whatever, and which is why it's so important. I mean, one of the things I looked at in that article was the recent thing with Woolworth's where they said, the reason our profits have dropped is because customers no longer trust us. They understand the importance of that. They understand how important it is so much that they actively measure it. They have internal metrics that tell them whether they are trusted, and it's vitally important to them because it's vitally important to their bottom line. They need us to trust them. And so the interesting thing is that okay. When it comes down to dollars and cents, people can be really nakedly obvious about this and say, we've got to have trust, as it's as an important a commodity in our business as anything else. We've got to measure it, we've got to make sure it's okay. And yet we have other areas of our our society where it's freely being burned and no one is either measuring it or caring about it. But the consequences are starting to be felt where if most people, if you ask them about their political opinion about something, would say, I don't trust any of them. I don't like any of them, I don't trust any of them. I wish I had someone else to vote for. And that is a symptom of what's going on, And then the end result of that is what's going on in the US at the moment, which is it's about I hate them both. But this guy at least seems to think that he can solve the problem and is not promising more of the same. Yes, yes, and I don't trust him anymore than trust the other guy, but at least he's saying the right things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's almost it's down to if you're going to vote which over there? Of course it's optional. It's like who do you hate the least? Or yeah, who are you the least skeptical of all?
Speaker 3: Look, we're a trending to that here too.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, let's do one more topic before Tiff heads off to get her new bloody pipe put on a motorbike. If I hear a loud noise outside my house tonight, echoing up and down Hampton Street at eleven pm.
Speaker 2: I was actually thinking about driving that way home, just a little rev.
Speaker 3: Little yeah, no, don't but a but it'd be at three, wouldn't it three in the morning, wouldn't be eleven?
Speaker 2: I'm not up at three, silly eleven.
Speaker 1: So you wrote, you wrote an article called Plunging into Recovery? Can ice barres rewire the addicted brain before you? Before you open that door wide? Have you ever had an ice bath?
Speaker 3: Or I haven't, not intentionally, Not intentionally. I have occasionally jumped into water that was a lot colder than I thought it was. But one of the times I was in Germany, and you know the Germans I was staying with We're all leaping into this alpine lake you know, as if it was like a summer day at the beach. And so I joined them and I swear that was just above freezing, that thing was, but they got like it was.
Speaker 1: Alpine and lake. Yes, alpine and lake. I should have thought.
Speaker 3: I have done unintentional ice bath like experiences.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, we'll call that ice bass bath ish. All right, plugging into Recovery can And by the way, both of these articles in the group. If you want to read the actual full articles, you project podcast facebook page, tell us about tell us about this one mate.
Speaker 3: Okay, So this came up because I was doing a talk to a group that are about helping people through addictions, so a rehabit type group who were quite interesting in some of the things I've written, particularly in Brain Reset, about how do you break addictions? And one of the groups said, what do you think about ice baths? And honestly, I never even thought of it as a way of breaking an addiction, which is kind of ignorant of me. So I immediately went away and started doing some fairly detailed research into it and came to the conclusion that, look, there is a strong chance that the shock produced by an ice bath, because when you do that. It's a terrifying experience for your body. There's a significant shock experience associated with plunging yourself into an ice bath, and that shock experience produces a significant hit of dopamine. And some of the studies have said, look, we're talking two three times as much dopamine in a single hit as you would get from cocaine. This is a big hit of dopamine and naturally produced by the body. Quite a lot of studies have now looked at you know, there's lots of purported benefits of ice baths, so I even go into all of that, but I did look at this dopamine aspect because one of the best ways to naturally break an addiction is to substitute. When you get the craving for whatever it is you're addicted to substitute. Instead of doing that, do something that produces a natural dopamine hit. Now we've talked about this before. That could be doing, you know, running a marathon. It could be having a hobby that thoroughly engrosses you could be playing a musical instrument as long as you can play it well. It's something that requires extreme focus and produces dopamine. Well, this might be a shortcut to that. In what you might be able to do is just go take a cold shower, which, by the way, cold showers, while not producing as big a hit as an actual ice bath, does produce a dopamine hit too, And so an interesting piece of advice might well be, when you feel the cravings, go take a cold shower. And there's some good science behind this. Now, there's some really good science that suggests that this might be a reasonable path to take when you're trying to rehab people.
Speaker 1: Or t if the other one would be get an aftermarket exhaust on your motorbike. The credit.
Speaker 2: Ten out of ten can recommend or.
Speaker 3: And that's not as silly as it sounds. Just look at the way Tips reacting to this thing, and she's desperately excited to do it, and when it's on it, when she hits that thing and it makes it the really, really loud noise, it is going to be like having a hit of cocaine to her. And so, yeah, find that thing that does that for you. But if you're not sure what that is, if you're not like Tiff and you're not excited by loud motorbikes, a cold shower might do it.
Speaker 1: Wow, t if you could write a book called Motorbikes, Puppies and Punching People and other addictions or other addiction treatment and other dopamine producers by TIF, you just.
Speaker 3: Call it them, just call it the motorbike Cure.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Do you know what is funny? I know we're going to wind up. But what's funny is I've had bike since I was a kid, and I'll probably I've taken over the years a lot of people on the back, and depending on how they feel about going on the back, they're either producing a shitload of dopamine or a shitload of cortisol.
Speaker 3: But same thing, no, no, same thing terror being terrified, being terrified, which is kind of what the ice bath is doing to you. Being terrified produces a significant dopamine hit. So if you want to scare yourself, then you can do it with an ice bath. Or if you're not into bikes, you know, I guess you could ride pinion with Tiff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well yeah, definitely don't do that or watch Yeah, well you delivered again, mate, And next time we chat there'll be there will be a new boss in the White House. And yes, I so if you had to make a prediction you at where we are right now on Tuesday or Wednesday.
Speaker 3: At where we are right now. And by the way, I'm notoriously bad at predicting things like this, but at where we are right now, it feels like it's a Trump win.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: That's well, we'll wait with breath. Tift, you want to say something. You look like you're sticking your finger up.
Speaker 2: Can we acknowledge Caspo's strapping new profile?
Speaker 3: Is that incredible?
Speaker 2: Are you going to pop that on your website? Because the first thing I did with freeschool dot org that are you and you have.
Speaker 1: An updated it?
Speaker 3: I will have to do that. Yeah, yeah, this is a this AI thing is incredible. You give it, you give it like ten real photos of yourself and obviously I gave it younger ones of me, and and it produces like a hundred version. You can tell it how you want to be dressed whatever, and off you go.
Speaker 1: Which which program is that or which.
Speaker 3: App is that? Stuff? To find know, I'd have to send it to you, all right.
Speaker 1: Send it to you, all right, We'll say goodbye. Heare but as always brilliant, Thank you mate, We appreciate you.
Speaker 3: No worries, see you lady guys,