Speaker 1: Ready to launch your business. Get started with the commerce platform made for entrepreneurs. Shopify is specially designed to help you start, run, and grow your business with easy, customizable themes that let you build your brand, marketing tools that get your products out there. And that's just the beginning. From startups to scale ups, online, in person and on the go. Shopify is made for entrepreneurs like you. Shopify You're all in one commerce platform.
Speaker 2: Sign up for your one dollar a month fial at shopify dot com dot a, u slash Listen at Nurse Nextdoor Home Care Services. We believe in making lives better. We match every client with a caregiver or nurse that will help them live a life filled with positivity, possibility, and purpose. Everyone should be able to live independently at home, even if it means getting a little help. That's why Nurse Nextdoor Home Care Services brings aged care and disability support right to your door. From companionship to twenty four to seven nursing, we are here for you. Visit nursenextdoor dot com dot au for more information.
Speaker 3: Probably heard the news on five double A that Port Adelaide has now confirmed Josh Carr will take over as head coach from ken Hinckley at.
Speaker 4: The end of the year.
Speaker 3: I don't know about you, but this idea of a twelve month succession plan and announcing it publicly, it seemed unusual to me, but I thought, let's get the thoughts of an expert five double a football expert, Scott camp RIALI joins me in the studio Halle Campo.
Speaker 4: Hello, how are you good? How are you?
Speaker 5: Congratulations? Thank you looking radiant?
Speaker 3: Thank you very much, well done?
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 3: It's an interesting one, isn't it.
Speaker 5: I know that what they've done. I think we all probably thought that was on the cards at some stage, you know, with the conversations with Josh coming back from Fremantle, that perhaps that's taken place, and I think in the in the press release they said they spoke about it in twenty twenty three when he came back, that that was potentially an opportunity that was going to happen. So, I mean, Josh has done a wonderful apprenticeship. He's coach North, had laid in his own right to a premiership, went away again when able to Freemantle coach in the midfield over there, then's comeback. So he's done a pretty good apprenticeship in terms of if he looked at his cvs, ticked a lot of boxes. So the timing is interesting for me.
Speaker 4: What do you make of that?
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, I think I think because there's a lot of heat around Port Adelaide at the moment around what Ken's going to do and should they re sign him earlier? Why did they? You know, a lot of those conversations, and I think this probably takes just a little bit of heat out of that conversation and the innuendo about what's going to happen at the end of the year.
Speaker 4: But it felt like all of last year career speculation, which.
Speaker 5: Is pretty tough when you finished second on the ladder.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well that's true.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I'm a Ken fan like Ken was wonderful to me when I was at Adelaide through the whole Walshe scenario. So I have a lot of respect for Ken. And coaching is not an easy job. We can sit here and supporters kill bell.
Speaker 3: Do it from the comfort of our laundry.
Speaker 5: And as you do as you should because you pay your membership and those sort of things, and that's what coaches do. You sign up for the criticism. But sometimes I think it's a little unwarranted, but I get the conversation around port supporters that they haven't got to a Grand Final and they've fallen short. So I understand that conversation. But for me, it feels like just a little pressure release off Ken and the footy club to know that that's the succession plan. The interesting thing will be, and I don't like to often deal with hypotheticals if they get off to a slow start, what happens, you know, in terms of that relationship, because we've seen previously with this and no better one. But I think they're probably a better relationship. I'm sure it's a better relationships with Nathan Buckley and Mick Moldhouse with that succession plan and that didn't end well, you know in terms, and that ended up getting moved on quickly. So I think Josh and Ken's relationships way better than that, no question. But it's an interesting one. It's an interesting one for the players who do I go to There's a lot of questions you know that they and they will have to navigate through that themselves as internally as a club. Because if I'm a player and they going, so am I going to Ken, or am I going to Josh? Who do I spend my time with? Yeah, you know, so there's a lot of.
Speaker 4: Who am sucking up to?
Speaker 5: There's a little bit of that, But I think they're a professional environment and knowing Ken and Josh, I think they'll they'll handle it beautifully.
Speaker 3: You mentioned it'll be interesting to see if the club gets off to a slow starts. There's the Ken fan club and then there's the the opposite of the Ken fan club amongst the Port base. If if it is a slow start, there'll be caols for it to happen sooner, bringing forward why are we.
Speaker 4: Waiting till the end of the year?
Speaker 3: But like you know, I always think of everything through a political lens. You know, a year is a long time in politics. It's also a very long time in footy. It could go the other way. What if they have a really good season? Yeah, what if they make the Grand Fighters?
Speaker 5: Well, I think ideally you'd love I mean as a ports it. If you're a Port supporter and probably more so Ken, they get to a Grand Final win it, that would be I guess the fairy tale story that he's done his time, He's got him to the top of the mountain and then he moves over and he hands over the reins to Josh moving forward, but there will always be that comment was it Josh or was it Ken? So there's always that sort of innuendo about whose team is it for one of a better words. So it's going to be interesting. I think there's a lot of conversations, a lot of questions that will get asked, you know, throughout the time, you know, even in some of the press conferences and those sort of things. But you know, I think, as I said, it's probably just a little pressure release, some clarity perhaps around even list management because sometimes you know, when you're going after players from other clubs, well who's the coach? You know, there's that conversation as well, So there'd be some conversations around that moving forward. So it's not just a one line answer, I don't think in this one. But yeah, it's interesting they've come out early to do it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because again with a year being a long time in footy, you just don't know who might be available by the end of the year. I mean we saw with Adam Simpson Simpson being sat from West Coast last Caesar there could be some fresh new talent available, but Josh Car's the guy.
Speaker 5: Well, and that they may have done their due diligence and they've come up with that as well, you know, knowing footy clubs and how important that role is, I'd be staggered if they haven't scoured the country before they've made this final decision and going right, if we fast forward twelve months, who's going to be available, who's potentially going to be available, and is Josh still our man? So they've pretty much I guess confirmed that that's the way they're going to go.
Speaker 3: And I mean, because he's been at the club for so many years, you'd think he'd have the support of the playing group.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, well I haven't heard other wise, you know, in terms of that he doesn't do a good job or he hasn't got a good relationships with the players. I'm sure that's all embedded And and I guess the good thing is he's a past player, premiership player at the footay club, so he's got a really I guess fested interest in the footy club. So he's connected, you know, not just as a senior coach, but he's connected as a pass player as well. And he gets an opportunity to coach as a senior coach. I wish him all the best.
Speaker 3: Would that be front of mind for the club, having that security for the playing group, but also for Ken and Josh because obviously, like we've discussed that there are fans who won't like this decision.
Speaker 4: They are fans who will like this decision, and you want to keep your fans happy, but at the end of the day, you need to keep.
Speaker 3: Your playing group happy. You want you want them to play well.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, the playing group's probably number one, because as soon as that fractures, you know, that can fall off the cliff pretty quickly. And you use Adam Simpson as an example, unbelievable coach for a long period of time, but you know his time was up and the message essentially wasn't quite getting through, you know, and things drop away, whether it's standards, whether it's game style, whether it's all those things. But Josh will come in with a fair bit of energy, I would have thought, and he'll energize Ken as well. And Ken will probably read in his press conference as well. He'll be energized as well because this is his last year and he'll have a different mindset, whereas last year, I guess he was coaching for his job. This year, he'll probably got some clarity and he'll be probably a little bit more relaxed on the basis that you know, I can help Josh transition into that next phase and I can perhaps mentor the players in a different way than perhaps I would have if I was still trying to be a senior coach.
Speaker 4: Does Does it take a bit of the pressure off? Could it take too much pressure off?
Speaker 3: I'm not going to suggest that any head coach of an AFL club would go, huh, I only got a year left.
Speaker 4: I'll just sit back now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, not really, not really.
Speaker 5: I mean with the coaches players, we're proud people. I mean you, if I told you that you had a year level, you are a proud person. You want to be good at what your job at what you do at your job, and you want to leave a legacy. And Ken what people understand. Don't understand where Port Adelaide were when he came to the footy club to where they are now and how much they've been able to improve and play a game style that wins games of footy, and he's exciting. You could never question Ken's game plan in terms of excitement. Yes, it's fallen short a couple of times, but there's always a myriad of reasons why you know, you can sit here and each year. But there was a couple of common threads, you know that probably just needs to be fine tuned, you know, moving forward, and I'm sure Josh will have a handle on that.
Speaker 3: Fred on the text line says Ken's received an offer for another coaching job and needed to respond quickly if he was interested. That's why we've got this early statement.
Speaker 5: What do you think, Ah, what club?
Speaker 3: Maybe Tazzy, Well.
Speaker 5: Tazzy doesn't come in necessarily till twenty twenty twenty, said yeah, but they, I mean, they're obviously looking now because Benny Gale is in charge there and they're looking I guess to have someone maybe who knows. I guess, well, you know, we'll find out in twelve months, but up until then, yeah, who knows. I mean the coaching merry go round is there's a lot of rumor mills. Yeah, and a lot of I guess people that think they know but don't necessarily. I only can all know that answer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, twenty twenty eight, they come into the comps, yeah, or.
Speaker 5: Twenty twenty seven. I think they play VFL the in the VFL game, so they need to start getting their lists organized the end of I guess next years. But yeah, it's an interesting one. I mean, there's always going to be coaching jobs because that's just the world that we live in. Unfortunately, there's always going to be someone in the hot seat, you know, whether it be Michael vossit Carlton, whether it be Chris Scott who's at the other end because you know he's got an aging list. You know, there's always a reason why someone's you know, under the microscope. But yeah, interesting one. It's going to be talked about from here to particularly round one, and then we'll see what happens.
Speaker 4: And then all year probably and then depending on what the win lost looks like.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm an optimist. I'm I'm an optimist port fan. So having you here in the studio, you know, coach yourself, head coach for a while of Adelaide Crows. What if they do win a grand fad, would you be tempted to try and hang around?
Speaker 5: Well, I can only speak for myself, but if I was, if I took myself and put in ken shoes, I've had a wonderful time at Port Adelaide. I've done what I needed to do. I can go out on a really good note like why why tarnish that? Why try and chase it again? And how I guess from the fans and the players, if you did a backflip in twelve months time, Yeah, that's probably not a great look.
Speaker 3: Is this maybe a way of the club also putting a bit of pressure to force can out making this decision early. You can't change your mind halfway through the year and want to stay.
Speaker 5: You can't, and it takes the pressure off. Are they going to re sign him again?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: You know, that's always the conversation, you know. So if they if they start really well and they're six and oh, then the well they got to sign Ken again because he's out of contract at the end of the year and he's a wanted commodity, you know. So I think it works for both parties.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 4: Well, like you say, this isn't the last we'll hear of it.
Speaker 5: No be inter seen on Timmy's takes. I'll be listening tonight to hear what he says.
Speaker 3: Me too, Me too, But I appreciate your takes Savo Campo. Thank you Scott Camporeali five double A football expert and as you know, head coach himself five double A afternoons with Stacey Lee.
Speaker 2: At Nurse Nextdoor Home Care Services, we believe in making lives better. We match every client with a caregiver or nurse that will help them live a life filled with positivity, possibility and purpose. Everyone should be able to live independently at home, even if it means getting a little help. That's why Nurse next Door Home Care Services brings aged care and disability support right to your door. From companionship to twenty four to seven nursing, we are here for you. Visit nursenextdoor dot com dot au for more information.
Speaker 6: Although XC sixty Special Edition with Lifestyle Pack upgrade includes Hormone, Corton Premium Sound, panoramic sunroof, tinted rear windows, and twenty inch alloy wheels from seventy four to nine to ninety drive away conditions apply.
Speaker 2: Volvo