Speaker 1: Live on Sky News.
Speaker 2: This is Sharry Good Evening. Welcome to the program tonight. Israel is on the verge of a full blown war with hesblah this as the United Nations absurdly claims the targeted pager attacks could be a war crime. So much news from the Middle East. Israeli politician Sharon Haskell would join me tonight, plus What's in store for the next federal election as Albanese's primary support falls to Gillard era levels during the carbon tax lie and the academic leading the calls for former ABC boss Mark Scott to resign from the University of Sydney, Will tonight be on this program? And Kamala Harris's Oprah interview mocked as Hollywood elites fawn over the VP. I have those reactions later in the show, but first tonight. Woolwards and Cohls have been a Q used of offering fake discounts on hundreds of grocery items, from cheese to toothpaste, chocolates to lozenges. The cop on the beat to the a triple C Today's stun the market by launching legal action against the supermarket giants. The case against Woolies and Coals is that they claimed they were dropping prices on more than two hundred products each when in fact they were increasing the price. Here was the A Triple C Chair Gina Cascottlieb.
Speaker 3: Today, the A triples ce alleges that the price discounts as promoted wor misleading because the discount was illusory. For many years, each of us, as consumers will have seen the campaigns of Woolworths and calls that have led us to understand that the prices dropped and down down prices promotions relate to sustain to reductions in regular pricing, so to.
Speaker 2: Be specific about it, Woolies and coals are accused of raising the price of items by up to forty three percent for a small period. They then lower it back to either the original cost and yet claim that it had been a major discount. In the case of Ario biscuits, an example the A Triple C chair gave today, they were originally three dollars fifty for a family pack. Woolwors then lifted the price to five dollars. They then dropped it back by just fifty cents to four dollars fifty to claim that it had been discounted, even though that price was about thirty percent higher than the original. The Prime Minister spoke about this and he said these were all serious claims.
Speaker 4: Today the A Triple C has alleged that Woolwors and Coals temporarily increased the prices of two hundred and sixty six will Worse products and two hundred and forty five Coals products for short periods of time before placing them on prices dropped and down down promotions. These are serious allegations that the A triop'll see is bringing before the courts. If this is found to be true, it's completely unacceptable. This is not the Australian spirit. Customers don't deserve to be treated as fools by the supermarkets.
Speaker 2: The PM was loving this. Let's be clear, the misleading conduct by Coles and Wilworths would be welcome news for him. He's been trying to turn the supermarkets into villains in this cost of living crisis, and the PM took full political advantage. He rushed to hold a press conference to re announce a recommendation from Craig Emerson's review. It was completed months ago. Albaneze said he'd have a mandatory grocery code to find the supermarkets multi million dollars for serious breaches.
Speaker 4: We know there's more to do and my government wants to make sure that Australian consumers get a fair.
Speaker 2: Go and the Coalition today also welcomed this bombshell a Triple C court case.
Speaker 5: The home grain inflation is bearing down on every Australian household, particularly when it comes to groceries. It's crucial that we have fair and transparent price advertising and if there's been misleading discounting, that's completely unacceptable and appropriate action should be taken.
Speaker 2: Politically, Albanezi needed today's move by the a Triple C because at the moment, voters are blaming the Prime Minister for the cost of living crisis and for the inflation remaining sticky resolve. Polling in the Herald Today shows that Labour's primary vote is at record lows in every state. Labour's primary is far lower than the co coalitions, and it's lower even than at the last election when Labour's primary then was it historic lows. Now Labor is now in Gillard era territory during the period over the broken promise on the carbon tax. Yet for Peter Dutton to win the next election, he needs to get the coalition's primary vote above forty percent and at the moment he's only managing that in Queensland. And to do this to really get a lift, Peter Dutton needs to take full ownership of the cost of living crisis and he needs to be able to pinnot on the Prime Minister, just like Albenze did on Scott Morrison when there'd only been one rate rise before the last election. Now, in the meantime, the likelihood of a hung parliament is cementing for Albanesi, and a hung parliament with the radical Greens who are fueling our antisemitism crisis and some of the Tials who aren't much better, would be highly alarming. Given the Greens want a seat at the table, they're going to make demands in the government. Were allowing this to happen, allowing them to help run the country would be grotesque all right. Now to the Middle East, where Israel is on the verge of war with Lebanon. Hesbelah has bombarded Israel with more than eight thousand rockets since the October seven attacks. It also killed twelve Israeli children. Israel finally hits back with the genius pager explosions and a series of strikes. Now and yet the world is outraged that Israel would dare retaliate against Hesbelah. Well, I must must have missed the anger against Hesbelah for the eight thousand rockets that it fired against Israeli citizens. They weren't at all targeted. Those rocket attacks. They had the aim of killing innocent families. But when Israel dared to try eliminate the terror threat so families can move back home to northern Israel or the humanitarian groups are furious now the pager and the walkie talkie attacks, they were the most sophisticated and targeted attacks. Only the people holding the pages were injured. In the vast majority of cases, only four civilians were killed four and Israel was tracking each of the individuals holding the pages, according to news reports. Now, the reaction from the humanitarian groups, well, it's so outrageous that it's almost hilarious to see supposed human rights groups become so deeply upset about terrorists being killed. Amnesty International sent out a media release today demand an investigation into the pager and walkie talkie attacks. They're calling them war crimes. Seriously, have a look, Amnesty said, and I quote the attacks were carried out indiscriminately and would be unlawful against international humanitarian law and should be investigated as war crimes. It's a joke, except it's not a joke. They're being serious. And the United Nations overnight also said this could be a war crime. Killing terrorists have a look.
Speaker 6: Simultaneous targeting of thousands of individuals, whether civilians or members of armed groups, without knowledge as to who was in possession of the targeted devices, their location, and their surroundings at the time of the attack violates Internation human rights law and as applicable international humanitarian law.
Speaker 2: These organizations have truly lost all rationality and credibility when they oppose the killing of terrorists. And Penny Wang meanwhile, sees this all as a reason to give millions of dollars more to the Hamas controlled Gaza. She announced today a further ten million dollars for Gaza, taking the total taxpayer funds to more than eighty two million dollars since October seven. Our hard earned taxpayer money, and there's no accountability for our taxpayer funds. There's no legitimate agency on the ground ensuring that there's no misuse of the money. An Honra, as we know, has a long history of links to Hamas. There's little to show in Gaza for the billions of dollars in international aid over the years, apart from the world class tunnel network, which currently holds one hundred innocent hostages. The media reports are that Etanyahu overnight said he believes around half are still alive. Well, with all this aid flowing in from around the world, is it any wonder that the Harmas billionaires simply get richer and richer. All Right, a lot coming up on the show tonight. As I said, we'll bring in Sharon Haskell to get the latest from Israel a bit later. Also the academic calling for Mark Scott to resign. That's all coming up. We'll get to Kamala Harris and the Hollywood endorsement later, but now let's bring in tonight's panel. Daily Telegraph journalist James Willis and Sky News contributor Joe Hildebrand. Welcome to you both. Look, let's start with the a Triple C decision here today, the legal action against the supermarkets. Joe, we've all been skeptical about the discount prices and everyone who does any grocery shops. I don't want to just say it's the mothers and the women out there, but particularly the mothers, at least in my family. I do the grocery shop. And it's very obvious that the prices over the past couple of years have risen dramatically. But Joe, if the a triple ce case is accurate, then this is pretty outrageous.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it absolutely is. I do all the shopping in my family.
Speaker 8: I am absolutely fastidious about it. I love my fly Bys. I watch every dollar, I watch every price movement, and I have been quite skeptical about these prices. You know, price dropped and lot says the sticker, and it seemed to me strangely high, and even I, in my sort of conspiratorial rabbit Warren, didn't quite figure out what these guys are actually doing. So this notion that they would artificially hike the price by say, for example, you know, a dollar fifty for a couple of weeks, and then dropped the price by fifty cents, hence of course making it a price rise of a dollar on a product that might be three or four dollars, and then say the price has been dropped, citing the previous high price, which is artificially inflated, just so they could then say that the price has gone down. And this to me is a sort of industrial scale gas lighting of consumers. I'm not someone who just sort of sets and forget. I'm someone who watches every single price. I'm as worried about the cost of living as anyone else. I've got interest rates up the wazoo and makes up to lazoo. And I think this is a really disgraceful betrayal of trust of Cohl's and Willie's shoppers, of which I am a very enthusiastic one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, indeed, and I think it is good to know that the A Triple C is being so active and aggressive with this. James, But do you agree with what I had to say there about the Prime Minister taking full political advantage of this and he even made a comment that it was the supermarkets in part pushing up inflation.
Speaker 9: Absolutely, and we should be very cautious and take everything that we hear from the A Triple C with a grain of salt.
Speaker 10: They have a history of being a.
Speaker 2: Bit of a truthless tiger.
Speaker 9: We heard recently with the Quantus stuff the A trible C boss saying we're going for a record punishment, we are going to go after Quantis. This is industrial scale, YadA, YadA, YadA, And in the end it kind of fizzled out and we got a result, but it wasn't as big as what we thought. So I'm always skeptical of what I do here from the A triple C. The wider issue for labor and the Prime Minister is that, yes, Coles and Woworth's big business, but the cost of every business in this country has gone through the roof in recent times.
Speaker 10: Energy is driving that.
Speaker 9: Big issues with the ir laws and a number of other things that are having a really big impact on business and their margins and their profits and everything else. Now I'm not going to bat Coles and Wilworth's here. I think what we've heard today is very serious. But the wider issue for the Prime Minister right now that you are hearing and you are seeing in the polls is that businesses are doing it tough and people blame labor for the cost of living crisis that we see.
Speaker 2: And they do that because the Prime Minister promised before the last election that he would be able to fix the cost of living crisis, that he would make life more affordable. Instead, everything has of course gone up since then, so he did take ownership of that problem politically. Now let's turn to the Heston Russell story that we've now all been covering for a couple of weeks now that ABC has been caught out lying after revelations that they were warned multiple times about errors in their war crime reporting about Heston Russell, not just once like they claimed. Now these warnings went as far back as October twenty twenty two, so two years ago now. Now, ABC boss David Anderson has admitted that they were told once, but then he blamed the legal team for not passing on information to the news division. I mean, Joe, this is very convenient, isn't it. It's always the lawyer's fault. It's the legal team's fault. It wasn't the journalist, not Mark Willisey's fault.
Speaker 7: It's always the lawyer's fault or the sub fault.
Speaker 8: But in this case I find this so difficulty just because lawyers, as you and I know, Sharry, are usually the most risk averse members of any media organization. The slightest whiff of anything that could be defamatory or anything that could get the organization tangled up in court is something that sends off a red flag in the in house legal department long before the sort of somewhat more gung ho journals in the newsroom, who obviously don't want to be cowed away from any story, would run.
Speaker 7: Away from it.
Speaker 8: So it strikes me as passing strange that the legal department would be so sort of cavalier or have so little attention to detail or to the risks that the newsroom was embarking upon, that they would simply not say anything about these multiple complaints or multiple warnings at all.
Speaker 7: It just seems very very strange to me.
Speaker 8: And James and I actually just did on my podcast a sort of deep dive into this, and Heston Russell as personally thanked us for doing that, as I know you have been very strong.
Speaker 2: Well good on you, Joe, Good on New Joe. Now, James, you know, I think that's a really important point here, because David Anderson is saying, I know, you know, we weren't told, Yes there was a legal letter, but he went to the lawyers. But what about you and Ben Fordham, You guys were on air pointing out multiple problems with the story, and in fact, not only did the ABC not take it seriously, but Mark Willisey rang you blowing up? He was yelling, yeah he did.
Speaker 9: And it was one of the greatest calls I've ever been part of in my life as a media and I get asked about it so often. Look at the reality was he was so hell bent and was so firm on his belief that it was Heston Russell shooting the gun in the vision that he had shown on the seven to thirty program, which is now the subject of this internal investigation. I'll never forget it. He said, it is effing Heston Russell shooting for that helicopter. Now, Heston Russell had the raw footage, and we now know that it wasn't Heston on the gun, but on the legal issue. And I think it's important to know this wasn't just one letter. This was a back and forth between Heston's lawyers and the ABC that went on for five or six months before they ended up going to the federal court. And at every occasion the ABC lawyers would have needed directions from their client, which was ABC News, and obviously the barrises that came with that as well. So the idea that they weren't aware of is to me, with this investigation on folding, I find quite ludicrous. Mark Willisy also told the federal court that he had seen the unedited footage, which was handed over by the by Heston's team six months in. So there's a long way to go. But I thought that statement was a massive cop out on Friday.
Speaker 2: One hundred percent. But I also think the significance of that phone call to you, I mean, this is the public broadcaster trying to shut down the reporting of another media organization. That's how arrogant they.
Speaker 9: Were, totally on an issue as serious as war crimes that went on for four or five years, where they took a very negative stance, And I believe when you look at the recruitment numbers in the military and some of the issues that we have trying to get people to join the army, the campaign from the public broadcaster did enormous damage and to this day the entire sas and commandos have been hurt by that badly.
Speaker 2: Well knowing how Defense, the senior Defense treat people under them who are going through putting them through investigations, often when they're innocent past the suicide rate. I mean, who would encourage their kids to join The Australian Army.
Speaker 9: And Defense have been so embarrassing in how quiet they've been throughout this. They barely gave support twenty of the soldiers that have taken legal action in recent times, and I think that's a lot to say. They feel abandoned a lot of these soldiers by the Defense Department.
Speaker 2: All right, well, let's have a look at this admission for Australia's population. Now we know that we heard the news from that ABC last week that Australia's population has now hit twenty seven million people and overseas migration made up for eighty three percent of the past year's growth. The abeneazy government has been pursuing this Big Australia policy. But then there was so much backlash that the government repeatedly pledged they were going to lower migration given it is contributing to the housing crisis. But then the Treasurer said that the forecast wouldn't be coming down quite as they promised. Have a look.
Speaker 11: There is likely to be a revision of those net overseas.
Speaker 12: Migration forecast because of those fewer departures.
Speaker 5: So it will be over four hundred thousand most likely?
Speaker 13: Is that fair?
Speaker 7: Will that take them in the usual way?
Speaker 2: All right? Joe Hilde Brown? What are the reasons for this revised forecast.
Speaker 7: There's a couple of reasons.
Speaker 8: Firstly, the overall number is coming down, So it was something like well over five and a half hundred thousand in September last year. It's now about five hundred and nine thousand, so it is coming down very slowly. It's still obviously too high for most people's liking. And as the Treasurer has said, the problem with the forecast is not so much the number of people they predicted coming in, but the number of people leaving. It turns out Australia is in fact a very nice place to live in, which will surprise many on the extreme level to keep going on about how racist and terrible we are, and so people are staying, they're not leaving, and so they seem as the treasure is said to have got the number of arrivals about right, but fewer people are leaving than they expected. But obviously, with all migration policy, it is a difficult sort of needle to thread it. You can't just sort of turn it on and off like a tap. It takes a very long time. You're projecting, obviously next year's arrivals when you're making the announcements this year. And of course we still need skilled migrants, for example, to.
Speaker 7: Build our houses.
Speaker 8: There are shortages in the construction sector, and we also need international students to spend all their money here and help.
Speaker 2: At least the universities figure yeah, at least the universities want more international students. But James, I think part of the issue politically is that the Albanezi government never told anyone it was pursuing this big Australia agenda. They never said they were going to increase the population to the levels that they did, just like in so many other areas, and they did it in part, I think, to make sure that we didn't go into a recession. That's right.
Speaker 9: Yeah, And you hear from a lot of Treasury officials that say, if it wasn't for these big migration numbers, the financial position would be very different. So we're effectively in this sort of zombie economy at the moment. However, I think the politician that stands up and I think this is a massive issue heading into the next election and says enough of this. It's a short term fix. The arguments about international students and skill shortages. What are we doing to get Australians skilled up. There's a million people on job seeker and unemployment benefits. We haven't made a dent in that number under this labor government. We need to start looking after our own first and for every person that we bring in, they're need a hospital bed, they need a school for their kids and everything else. So yeah, for mine, this is the top in the top three issues heading into the next election. And if Peter Dutton continues on this track, he's going to get some serious traction in the electric because people you read those stats, think about that out loud.
Speaker 10: Twenty seven million people.
Speaker 9: We were at twenty five million not all that long ago, and eighty three percent driven by migrants. I mean, is that the Australia that we want? And I think the politician that stands up and says enough is enough will be hail to hear. We have to start looking after our own, skilling our own people up and not relying on foreigners to fix skill shortages. Is not a short term fix, but it's a fix that is definitely worth pursuing.
Speaker 2: What with some economists as saying that we actually need to pause or lower migration to about ninety thousand in a year just to let the housing supply catch up because we are in such crisis at the moment. Now, just to end, you'll recall that New South Wales Green's politician Jenny Leong was slammed when she made this anti Semitic comment, have a.
Speaker 12: Look because their tentacles reach in to the areas that try and influence power, and I think that we need to call that out.
Speaker 7: And expose it.
Speaker 2: So accusing Jewish groups of having their tentacles in everything Green's politician Jenny leon and her comment was correctly widely condemned, even by the Prime Minister. She was then taken to the Human Rights Commission by a Jewish individual who I've been in contact with. They were in mediation, it was ongoing. Lawyers were involved. We now know thanks to Tams and Rose in The Guardian that as part of the settlement, Jenny Leong agreed to go attend a free guided tour of the Sydney Jewish Holocaust Museum and donate two thousand dollars to it. Now she didn't just agree to go to the Holocaust Museum voluntarily, by the way, it was after lengthy legal mediation sessions. Now, this whole thing has reminded me of this clip from the Israeli American comedian Modi.
Speaker 14: Cancel culture is anti Semitic. You say anything about Latino's Asian Black trans Gate, You're done. You've finished. There's no second chance. When someone says something bad against Jews, the worst, the worst that can happen is they make them visit a Holocaust museum.
Speaker 2: It's so true, Joe, what do you think. There's a lot of truth to this. Oh, the penalty I have to go to the Holocaust Museum.
Speaker 8: It's so python esk, isn't it. And I one of the things I really despise is this kind of you know, Oh, I'm always open to learning into increasing my education and understanding of these issues. As though prior to this no one knew the Holocaust happened, No one knew what happens when you start to characterize Jewish people as animals or as the head of a sort of global cabal that has its quite unquite tentacles in every sort of center of society.
Speaker 7: I mean this is.
Speaker 8: Literally Nazi propaganda and the idea that you would not know that this was what led up to the greatest humanitarian disaster, the greatest active genocide. I mean, they banded the word genocide around now, but the greatest active genocide in all of human history was fueled by these kinds of tropes. It was fueled by conspiracy theories about the protocols of the Elders of Zion that was spouted in Nazi Germany, in fascist circles in Spain and Italy in the early half of the twentieth century, and of course in communist regimes in the USSR. So it's staggering to think that, you know, you could just go on a quick day trip to the museum, which is free by the complimentary you're not going to have to pay the entry fee, and and suddenly, all right, now.
Speaker 7: The Holocaust happened because of all that stuff.
Speaker 8: And then at the same time she's also donated two thousand dollars to another.
Speaker 2: Sort of Yes, but that's an anti.
Speaker 8: Hawkish group of Jewish people who she's sort.
Speaker 2: Of it's basically a pro Palaesoni that.
Speaker 7: To repeat, all her sort of clothes exactly so it's not apology.
Speaker 2: Indeed, all right, we're out of time, Joe Hildebrand, James Willis and thank you both so much. And by the way, if you haven't seen any of Mody's clips, they're so funny. He's got an hour up on YouTube. You should look it up, because sometimes you do need to laugh about this stuff, because otherwise it's just so depressing. Now a new war A new war front has officially opened up between Israel and Hezbillah in Lebanon. Israel has launched widespread strikes on Hesbela, striking around two hundred and ninety targets as well as thousands of rocket launcher barrels, but it only did so after sending warning messages to Lebanese civilians. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Ettia, who has vowed that Israel will take whatever action's necessary so that families from northern Israel can return home.
Speaker 15: In the subsequent months, they haven't stopped for a single day attacking us. No country can accept the wanton rocketing of its cities.
Speaker 7: We can't accept it either.
Speaker 15: We will take whatever action is necessary to restore security and to bring our people safe back to their homes.
Speaker 2: Hesbela has fired more than one hundred rockets deep into Israel just over the weekend, but as we know, eight thousand since October seven. And meanwhile, Israel has killed Hesbela leaders in an s strike on Friday, and at the time they were killed, they were reportedly planning another October seven like invasion. Now, meanwhile, there's also reports and I'm going to ask Sharon Haskell about these in a moment, that Netiyao who has said privately that he believes around half of the one hundred hostages in Gaza are still alive, so half not alive, and he's reportedly looking at what action he can take in northern Gaza. In northern Gaza, Israel has also rated the Al Jazeera officers in the West Bank, issuing a forty five day closure order, and Israel claims that the Al Jazeera bureau has been inciting terror and supporting terrorist activities. Let's bring it now, Israeli politician Sharon Haskell, Sharon, thank you very much for joining us again tonight. So much to talk about. Let's start with the war against Hezbolah. Now we're hearing that resources are being diverted from Gaza to the north of Israel. Are you expecting a major war now between Israe and Hesbala in Lebanon.
Speaker 1: Well, unfortunately, I don't think we can avoid that. Shary I was on your show about a month ago, three months ago, six months ago, and I think also eleven months ago, and all of that time, for eleven months, Chris Bella has been attacking Israel with rockets, civilians, destroying towns in Israel, massacring children and elderly people who fled from their homes or refugees here in Israel, tens of thousands. And no matter how much pressure the international community is putting on Risbella, including France, in the United States and other friends, who were trying for months to negotiate an agreement, unfortunately Risbella is not interested in that, and therefore we are left with only one choice, which is full confrontation. I've said on your show, I think eleven months ago, and that was even before one soldier set foot in Gaza. That was after the seventh of October massacre, when Chris Balad started firing rockets towards Israel. Why why not even a single soldier set foot yet in Gaza. It is because this war is a war with Iran. This is a war of radical Islam who is fighting our ideas, our community, our culture, the way that we live in a democratic and free society.
Speaker 2: And so.
Speaker 1: This issue is about a far wider.
Speaker 2: And regional war.
Speaker 1: And so unfortunately, as I said eleven months ago, we do not want to see the sights of Jabalia in Beirut. But unfortunately not leaving us with many options.
Speaker 2: So have you been brief to you know, you're a member of the Israeli parliament, the Kines said, have you got other information you can share with us on what the endgame is here? You know, are you expecting that to be widespread or even wider strikes? Despite the United States trying to de escalate the situation, tell Israel that you know it shouldn't defend itself against Hasbelah.
Speaker 1: Well, there's only there's a very simple step that can be made in order to stop this escalation and this confrontation, and it is that Chris Blad will go back to the litany line, the resolution, uh you know, of the of the security accounts on the United Nations that that brought up that Chris Ballad cannot advance more than that line was broken, and so if they want the de escalation, they need to go back behind this line. We've said a numerous times throughout.
Speaker 3: All these months.
Speaker 1: We need that in order for our people, our families to be able to go back to their home safely without being worried that their home is going to be hit by RPGs, by missiles. Children that goes to play soccer won't be massacred in the middle of the game. You know, that's the only thing that we want. We want to be able to go back to our life living safely and securely, and for that, kiz Balan needs to go back behind the tiny river line.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Sharon, I've spoken to you before on the program about how the Australian government has given almost three thousand tourist visas visitor visas to gardens without proper security checks. We've now learned just on the weekend that some of the security checks actually didn't happen until after the gardens had arrived in Australia. Given your intimate knowledge of the situation, how concerned would you be about the Palestinians arriving here without security checks about whether they might support hamas or the October seven attacks, so.
Speaker 1: I would be extremely worried. I mean, this is Australia importing, you know, the problems of the Middle East. We are at war and we're not in a territorial war.
Speaker 2: This is a religious and cultural war.
Speaker 1: This is radical Islam against Western civilization.
Speaker 2: And instead of trying.
Speaker 1: To deal with the core of this problem, Australia is actually importing that problem into your own country. And I've seen the rise of anti Semitism in Australia. We've seen different attack who were prevented last minute.
Speaker 2: People could have been killed.
Speaker 1: And I think that the Australian government hasn't the penny didn't drop yet. They don't understand it yet, and unfortunately they might understand it when it's too late. You see terror cells who are already set in Europe and South Central America, in America, in Canada, I mean the place where Chris Ballad go to collect donations, the best place for them is Canada. It's the center of you know, collecting donations for his Ballad.
Speaker 2: Okay, So.
Speaker 1: The government has to have enough information about the individuals that they haven't been part of terrorist group of plotting, of murdering, of executing, of burning that they don't import those radical ideas into Australia. Making sure that women's and children who have peace, who want to find a better life that can assimilate into the beautiful Australian community in the country, that's what they actually want.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a highly concerning situation where should not take our peaceful country for granted. As Sharon Haskell, always great having you on the show, Thank you for your time. Now still to come, Labor losing the cost of living debate as more poles spell bad news for alban Easy Labor's primary now in Gillard Territory during the carbon tax broken promise. Well, Cameron Milner and David Gazard will tell me what this means for the upcoming election that's coming up after the break. Welcome back. Well, plenty more to get through tonight, So let's bring in my regular Monday Political Insiders panel, Bill Shotton's former chief of staff and former Labor State secretary Cameron Milner and John Howard's former Press secretary David Gazzard. Welcome to you both. Well, let's turn to the polling today. We saw both the Resolve poll in the Herald and News poll which spelled more bad news for alban Easy, Cameron, do you think the Prime Minister would be feeling the heat given the polls are cementing that it does look like at best a hung parliament.
Speaker 12: Well, this guy must have the thicker skin in Australia because he hasn't hurt the message from the people on the street. The people are supposed to be out meeting Shari. I mean, it's no great surprise the rest of us who are talking to Australians understand just how badly this government's handling things. Melissa government, who has an answer for nothing and an excuse for everything.
Speaker 2: It's a little wonder the poles are so bad.
Speaker 12: But what it shows both the resolved pole the news pole is that Labour's only pathway to government is with the Greens and with the Teals and Albanize better front up to Australia honestly before the election, explained how he's going to do that, not excuse I'll trust me on afterwards, explain how he's going to government with the Greens, because that's what these poles show.
Speaker 2: Chari and your column in the Nightly a few days ago, you know, said that Alberizy does need to preference the Greens last, and he needs to come out and say this, David Gazard.
Speaker 12: There's still they're a deeply extremist party.
Speaker 2: They are indeed, David, there's still a long way to go though, until Peter Darton makes up the ground to put him in a position to win minority or let alone majority government. I mean the coalition's just so far behind on the seats.
Speaker 10: Yeah, that's I think that's right.
Speaker 11: I mean the most likely passway forward at the moment is you see a minority.
Speaker 10: Government either way. That said, there's a long way to go.
Speaker 11: Most people don't make up their mind until very late in the campaign, and we haven't seen any policies yet really effectively from the coalition.
Speaker 10: So once that starts and people start making up their mind.
Speaker 11: But you know, there's only been one one term government in Australia's history since federation, the thirty one scull And government, So just on sheer history alone, you'd have to say that most people would be very careful about switching their vote this time round. That said, you've seen a compression of voting habits at state elections, biggest wings, shorter durations of government, so you know, this landscape has changed a lot since the Scoleon government, no doubt about that, since.
Speaker 2: Nearly one hundred years ago. Yeah, and Labour's primary anyway the last election was just thirty three percent, a record lows, and it's only fallen since then. Now. Peter Dutton gave a major speech on nuclear energy policy today. Cameron, the opposition leader, said that if the state premiers supported his plan, he'd be able to get it up and running pretty quickly. But the issue is that most of the states at this point anyway don't support it.
Speaker 12: Well, that's right, and I think even David Christoph Fuley in Queensland said that he won't go nuclear even if he wins the Queensland say election. So yes, there's that problem, but I think the voters are making the change. Heyreshari, I mean nineteen out of twenty countries around the world used nuclear power perfectly safely. I mean the French get to Paris Accord numbers because they've got nuclear energy for goodness sake. So I think it's changing. I think what's changing is when Albo was a young bloke running around a T shirt with a placard saying no nukes. That might have worked sixty plus Now he's not for the times. Young people aren't fearful of nuclear energy and they're becoming a huge voting cohort. And I think on the issue of nuclear Dutton's got it right. It's the future getting to next zero by twenty fifty, along with renewables everything else we're doing as well.
Speaker 2: I think that's right that the fear factor isn't there anymore, David Gazzard, because there's what thirty other countries around the world who do use nuclear as part of their energy mix.
Speaker 7: That's right.
Speaker 11: And the seal was willing to truly broken on this by Anthony Albanezi himself when he backed the Orchest Plan, which is going to put nuclear submarines into our harbors over the next.
Speaker 10: Sort of two decades.
Speaker 11: So it's pretty hard to say, well, we won't let you have a nuclear power station anywhere near you, but we're going to have sailors sitting on top of one in submarines.
Speaker 10: That we've endorsed and paid for. So I think Cameron's right.
Speaker 11: And the test of what he has just said is the fact that Peter Dutton has made multiple announcements about nuclear so he clearly sees it as an itery process that he's winning him votes, not losing in votes between now and the election.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, I.
Speaker 12: Can absolutely right, David, I think right. I was going to say, I mean, you know, you know Peter Dutton's nuclear power plants are going to be much further away from population and community, and yet you know Albo's nuclear subs are going to be seeing under the Sydney have a bridge. I mean, you know, if you're fearful about nuclear, the orchest subs are a far worse problem. So no, I think David's exactly right. I mean, I think the fear fact has gone out and Pete Dutton has been up front, and yet the polls are still going his way even after announcing this nuclear policy.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, and look it gives another potential solution in any case, to the energy crisis in this country. All right, Camra Milner, David Gazard really appreciate your time. Now still to come a vote of no confidence in Mark Scott as calls grow louder for him to resign. One academic would join me to explain why staff and students one him gone. Donald Trump reveals his next move if he doesn't win in November. That's all coming up.
Speaker 10: Well.
Speaker 2: University of Sydney Vice Chancellor Mark Scott is tonight under pressure to resign after his failure to tackle anti semitism on campus. Here he was giving a long awaited apology at a Senate inquiry on Friday.
Speaker 16: And the testimonials are heartbreaking and unacceptable and for that I am sorry. Students have felt unsafe or unwelcome. If that has been their lived experience, if that is their testimony, then we have failed them. Yes, well, no, that's exactly right, cinema, and that's why it've happened.
Speaker 2: Yes, And joining me now is former University of Sydney academic Andy Smi, who left in February after twelve years citing antisemitism. Andy, thank you very much for your time tonight. Now you're not the only academic to leave the university in over antisemitism. There have been several others. How distressing has this been for academics.
Speaker 13: For academics and professional stuff. There have been I'm aware of seven that have resigned from the university since February and that have stated anti semitism was a part of their reason to leave.
Speaker 2: And it's a very big decision.
Speaker 13: Sydney's got a very.
Speaker 2: Very good reputation.
Speaker 13: The idea that you're going to leave Sydney because you know you've maybe that's the pinnacle of your career where you've wanted to end up, and that you decide that you need to leave because you don't feel comfortable safe on campus. It's a massive decision.
Speaker 2: Now you're speaking out on behalf of sixty Jewish and non Jewish staff who are fed up with how Mark Scott has handled this issue. You're also one of twenty three people who've lodged legal action or acclaim rather with Safe Work New South Wales against the university management for psychological harm to the racism on campus. What are your main allegations against the university leadership.
Speaker 13: I have to first clarify the sixty. We are a group of sixty people and we meet together and support each other. I can't claim I'm speaking on behalf of all of them, and I'm speaking on behalf of me. And in some cases you know there are people who are very comfortable that they don't feel comfortable to speak themselves and that I am speaking for them, but I certainly can't claim to be speaking for all of them. It's I think for us or for me, the issue is, so I left the university in February, and since then I've continued to be involved and support my colleagues because so many of them don't feel able to speak up for themselves. And so what that's meant is that there've been meetings that we've gone to, there've been letters that we've written, we've written to the media, we've put in claims to safe work, and those things have largely gone in my name because they can't sack me.
Speaker 2: I've already left. So courageous of you, by the way, to speak out and even to leave your job over it. What did you make of Mark Scott's formal apology at the Senate inquiry?
Speaker 13: Look, Funnily enough, I printed out the page and it was exactly the segment that you aired. And for me, it's the fact that he's saying, if if students have felt unsafe, if they've that's been their lived experience, he has not accepted, as far as I'm concerned, he has not accepted that this is a reality. It's not an if, right, there are people who've been Why does he think people quit the university, leave their jobs, students who choose to transfer to another university. It's not the if I might feel a little bit uncomfortable tomorrow.
Speaker 2: It's because it.
Speaker 13: Is unbearable and it is making me unhappy, and therefore I need to seek and go elsewhere. There's no ifs in there, and he needs to embrace that. My feeling is we've met with him multiple times. We've told him the issues, we've told him the problems. He's known what was going on. It's not an IF and he's done.
Speaker 2: Wasn't apologetic in those private meetings. No, well, minimally he acknowled it. Resign Now.
Speaker 13: I think something needs to change. I can't see that Mark Scott is able to make that change. But if the university at large can put systems in place that allow him to do his job, yep, that's what needs to happen. He cannot continue to do what he's been doing for the last eleven months without something changing.
Speaker 2: And we should point out that actually it was an unsafe environment, not just for Jews, but for all students who had to turn out, particularly when there were his but to REA members on campus carrying flags that were interpreted as terror flags, you know, chanting across campus. Right, Andy Smith, thank you very much for speaking up.
Speaker 13: Thanks.
Speaker 2: Now I'm more to come after the break. Kamala Harris edges ahead of Trump in the latest poll. So what's behind her rise? Plus the latest endorsement for Trump that does have Democrats worried? All that with Koshagada next Well, celebrities are lining up to sing the praises for Kamala Harris during her interview with Oprah Winfrey. Have a look.
Speaker 17: This has been overwhelming to have the privilege to sit in and listen to the testimony of people here. Hello President Paris.
Speaker 8: Yeah, kind of going from a stop Trump mode into a go Kamala mode.
Speaker 7: People starting to you know, really hear what you are about.
Speaker 1: I just want to I want to bring my daughters to the White House to meet this black woman president.
Speaker 2: Sky News contributor Koshagada joins us now kosher So Kamal has now got the endorsement of Taylor Swift, Meryl Streep, Oprah. But most voters don't necessarily follow what Hollywood stars think, do they.
Speaker 18: They do not. It comes across as a little bit I think out of touch.
Speaker 2: Shari.
Speaker 18: What this election from an issue set perspective is all about. As you know, is the economy, inflation, price at the gas, pomp, food on the table, and security, crime in the border and people coming out of Beverly Hills and wherever they were skyping in from. Doesn't do anything to move the needle in terms of voter's minds on those issues in those states. OPRAH does have a little bit of sway still with suburban women voters, which is a group that Trump typically struggles with. So maybe there's something there. But I don't think the celebrities are going to make one iota.
Speaker 7: Of a difference.
Speaker 2: I mean, the contrast between the cost of living crisis being the biggest issue in the United States and you have these multi millionaire celebrities telling people how to vote, I don't know. I think a lot of people in the rost belts would shake their head at that. Meanwhile, the Democrats have suffered a blow in Michigan. This is obviously a case swing state. The mayor of the Muslim majority city, he has endorsed Trump at Kosher how concerned both of the parties about Michigan.
Speaker 18: I think this is quite significant. So Michigan for a long time, as it is a key state. Trump won it in twenty sixteen and that hadn't happened in forty years since Ronald Reagan. He wonted versus Hillary Clinton and then lost it narrowly against Biden. So Michigan in many ways as a bellwether state, and it does have a significant Muslim population, and the whole of the war in Israel and Gaza on that issue has been a big fracturing fault line issue in the Democrat Party. She Kama has tried to walk the line with that, but I think this is quite significant because it is showing a little bit of the fracturing of that base in those counties. And if Michigan were to swing the other way, I think that's Aboul's trouble for her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, donand Tromp meanwhile has rode out running for another election if he does lose in November. But either way, Kosher, the MAGA movement will, I mean it has permanently changed the Republican Party.
Speaker 18: Yes, I think Trump's legacy has been embossed, I would say on the Republican Party, even though understandably at eighty two he probably wouldn't be seeking to do this.
Speaker 7: For what would be a.
Speaker 18: Fourth time, he has remade the policy platform He's paid the way for the MAGA type people, from the Vackramaswami to jd Vance to others, and you know even just the coorts that he appointed the federal judges. They're going to be on the bench for thirty to forty years. And he and Mitch McConnell together reshaping the federal court is another lasting legacy from Trump. So even though he doesn't run personally, I think the Republican Party has forever been changed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in DAED it has. And of course we are seeing polling that looks like Kamala Harris has stretched her lead against Trump. This is the latest NBC News poll among registered voters, and her popularity also surging sixteen points since July. But look, we just don't know yet. I mean, the polls are always up and down. The polls never predicted Trump's win against Hillary Clinton's still a couple of months ago. Koshagada, thank you very much for your time. Tonight. Now tomorrow the show, I've got former Labor Minister Mike Kelly. He's going to be speaking out against Penny Wong and the Labor Party. But right now, here's Paul Murray