Speaker 1: Lewens and German.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Late Debates.
Speaker 3: Good evening and welcome to the program.
Speaker 4: I'm Kayla Bond with Joe Hildebrand and Liz Storer. A little bit later we'll tell you about the journalist who has given a suspended sentence and find for posting a meme.
Speaker 3: About a politician.
Speaker 4: I wish it wasn't real, but it is indeed in the papers. How social media companies are using data from outside of their websites and apps to target ads at young children, and what happens when C and N Shock Horror of all broadcasters miss genders someone. We'll show you that a little bit later, but before we get into all of that, of course, the breaking news tonight coming from The Australian, is that Peter Dutton, the Opposition leader, has allegedly been the target of a foiled terror plot. It says on the front of Tomorrow's Australian Exclusive from Michael McKenna and Lydia Lynch that Peter Dutton was allegedly the target of a Brisbane private school student charged with buying ingredients to make bombs and testing homemade explosives in preparation to launch a terrorist attack.
Speaker 3: He he's sixteen.
Speaker 4: He can't be named for legal reasons and faced court today. Will get into a bit more detail about that later in the show, but an extraordinary story to break at this point in the election campaign. Onto other things, though, how smart do you think you'd need to be in order to become a teacher? And you'd like to think that the people who are standing up in front of the classroom teaching the next generation, in enriching their minds, allowing them to go off into the world to become productive citizens and workers, would be some of the best you could find. You need the kind of people who can enlighten children and also make them want to learn. And that's not a skill that everyone has. It takes a certain type of person to be a teacher, and someone with a bit of intellect you would think, well, not so, it had seen because we have the numbers, the atars that people are being admitted to teaching degrees with, and in some cases they are as low as thirty nine point three five. Yes, this is the reporting today. At the University of Tasmania, the OZ says has offered a place in a primary school teaching degree to an applicant with a raw Atar of thirty nine point three point five, a rank reflecting the bottom four percent of high school results. Yes, you can get into a teaching degree to go back to school to teach the next generation if you were in the bottom four percent of the people who graduated when you left school.
Speaker 3: Try and make it make sense.
Speaker 4: The educationalist Jason Claire said that too many teachers leave university and don't feel prepared because their course doesn't have the fundamentals to teach kids to read and write and count and how to help brand new teachers manage disruptive classrooms. And look, that may well be the case, but I rather think there's another problem if the people who were going into those courses where they don't learn how to teach children how to read and write, probably can't read and write themselves, because that is what we're talking about here now. There are certain things that have been instituted in the last decade, including exit tests that student teachers have to take to show that they have general levels of competency when it comes to mathematics and being able to.
Speaker 3: Read and write.
Speaker 4: They're actually failing those tests at extraordinary levels. So if they're coming in the system, one end and coming out the other there's not much being done for them while they're there. But this has been going on for some time. It was back in twenty sixteen, nine years ago, that we learned that people getting into university to study teaching with atars of under fifty had doubled to fourteen point three percent. That's fourteen point three percent of all people who were going into teaching degrees in twenty sixteen had an ATAR of under fifty, and more than half of them had an ATAR of under seventy. Seventy is the average ATAR that students leave school with, so you can see just how bad this is. And Tenia bittersick back in twenty nineteen, of course, before they came to government. Three years before they came to government said that a labor government would institute a tar cap so that you would have to meet a minimum in order to get into university. I know, Joe that Victoria has a cap of seventy, but it doesn't exist across the rest of the country.
Speaker 3: It should have existed three years ago to ten years.
Speaker 1: It should have and look to be fair to the government, they're doing a huge amount of work in overhauling, not just a mark Scott, the Vice Chancelor of the University of City, is leading this massive sort of wholesale review basically going back to the drawing board on teaching degrees, saying how do we attract the best and brightest to it, how do we make sure that we get more people because the number of people going into teaching degrees has been dropping off and it's just started to stabilize now, I believe, And of course the number of people who go into teaching often burn out and after five or ten years, and there's a whole bunch of reasons for that. Obviously, if you are not academically qualified or competent, or you don't have sufficient literacy and numerousy skills, you're not going to be able to cope in a classroom environment. So you have to make sure that you get those. It's very much a back to basics approach where you are doing. There's more of a focus on the three hours, getting rid of a whole bunch of really stupid, trendy teaching techniques that have been kind of bedevling the profession in recent decades. So all of this is happening in the meantime, though we do have this massive teacher shortage right across the country. In the biggest state, New South Wales, there's an enormous teacher shortage to the point where they actually had to call teachers out of retirement, and there's been teachers job sharing classroom, so one class will have one teacher, same class have one teacher on Mondays and Tuesdays and different ones Wednesdays, Thursday, Fridays, which obviously is not ideal. So I suppose there's this sort of immediate problem, which is we need to get as many teachers as possible just to fill the shortages that exist in the classroom. And then there's a bigger problem, which is how do we long term make sure that teaching is a profession that is respected, that attracts people to it. And the most important thing for that is that teaching is valued and respected and that teachers are held in esteem in the community. And there was this incredible survey done by Monash University a couple of years ago found something that was a huge number. The vast majority of teachers actually found believed that they were not valued by the community. Now, if you have people who are actually in that profession who think we are not being valued and are still there. Imagine what everyone else thinks. So I go on because I've done a huge amount of working in this area and the Telly's run some great campaigns called all the News, court Masters have called best in Class and Australia's Best Teacher to try and specifically to try to fix this problem and turn it around. So it is being turned around, but with really really small universities like the University of Tasmania, where you need a lot of atars to get in it across the board. Because it's a much smaller university, you don't have that many people clamoring to get into it. It's a long way away obviously from the mainland. It's pretty close to probably closer to Antarctica than it is to James Cook. So a great little university though, But that's part of the story as well, that it is a small unit. But basically this is a terrible, terrible problem. But it is being turned around thanks to the Minister in particular and to a lesser extent meee.
Speaker 5: I don't know that it is being turned around though, because the problem that we're having is these kids coming out of the schooling system, which we know is in a terrible condition. They're not getting the best of education. We're now expecting teachers out.
Speaker 2: Of this mob, because of course, the teachers of the future.
Speaker 5: Are coming out of the classrooms of today, and so they're filling ill equipped, they are getting lower scores.
Speaker 2: We learned last August that one.
Speaker 5: In three Aussie kids are failing just what the standard requirements for writing and arithmetic. I mean, if they're not learning that in schools, what the heck are they learning. As I've said a thousand times before, parents, if you care about your child's education, like seriously care about your child's education, you're already homeschooling. My mom homeschooled us for many years, and it was a really big problem. When we went back to a private Christian school. We were leagues ahead of the other kids, leeds. We wanted to be with our peers, and the schooling system that assessed us before deciding which grade we were to go in, we're just like, we don't know what to do with these mutants. And on that topic, it was with great interest. I love how you just mockingly laugh in the batsy chuckling in the background there for absolutely no reason. So it was with great interests that I watched the New South Wales education secretary tell the ABC on Monday that alternative methods of education to state schooling public schooling were unnecessary. What kind of totalitarian bs is this? This rightly triggered a massive outcry from private schools, faith based schools.
Speaker 2: And homeschoolers here in New.
Speaker 5: South Wales, all of which remember predate state schooling, before we had this centralized, standard eyed system of education, for which you can thank John D. Rockefeller, who, as an industrialist not a philanthropist, famously said I don't want a nation of thinkers, I want a nation of workers. That is the system we inherited because in nineteen o two the General Education Board was born, and we've had cookie cutter system ever since, despite the fact it fails a lot.
Speaker 2: Of kids because they're simply not made out for it.
Speaker 5: So what we have inherited for a very long time now that was nineteen oh two, is this system that was.
Speaker 2: Genuinely designed to pump out.
Speaker 5: These docile, subservient, low info regime bots, and then we wonder why the system is failing them.
Speaker 2: It's not just that the.
Speaker 5: Teachers are suffering, it's the content, it's the curriculum itself.
Speaker 2: We know that we've discussed this at nauseum for years.
Speaker 5: It's not designed to pump out critical thinkers who are empowered to challenge the status quo and actually get somewhere.
Speaker 2: And that's why.
Speaker 5: I thought it was very interesting that as of the fifth of May this year, New South Wales has decided they're cracking down on homeschoolers, and homeschoolers in this state are now going to be regulated by the state body of the Department of Education because centralization equals control, and centralization of education is very important to the states and they're more than happy parents to trample your parental rights to educate your child where and how you see fit in order to achieve that centralization of education, or as we like to call it here, indoctrination.
Speaker 1: Public just just public schooling, free and compulsory public education has been in Australia since the mid nineteenth century.
Speaker 5: He literally said, Joe on Monday in this interview to the av sudeted South Wales that is the system we inherited that New South Wales has lost twenty five thousand enrollments in the public education system over the last three years. The viewers at home don't know, so I'm letting them know. And he's determined.
Speaker 2: And I quote to get them all.
Speaker 1: Back because all public education or we're going to do to.
Speaker 5: Fire very passionate about.
Speaker 3: But if they're willing to go else they're willing to go elsewhere.
Speaker 4: What the growth You look at the growth in private education in the last few years, it tells you everything. And you look at the schools that have been doing really well, particularly Catholic schools because they've gone back to basics.
Speaker 3: Have public systems that now.
Speaker 4: Have how it can work. Another example as well, of these academic standards being dropped so you can get more people into the workforces. Over at the police, the Victorian Police did it a few months ago. They changed the rules. Previously you had to do a test in order to become a copper. Now they've said that if you've got an ATAR of sixty five or above, or you score at least twenty five in English, then you can get into the cops without taking a test. Now we should note that sixty five EIGHTAR is four points below the average in Victoria, so it is they're letting people in below the average.
Speaker 1: And I'm going to give age.
Speaker 4: Being a copper is a pretty brain intensive job, right, I mean, you know, sure, if you're just going around and giving people fines, maybe not so. But if you've got any ambition to rise anywhere in the police force, you've got to be solving crimes. This takes lateral thinking. You seriously have to use your brain in order to get some of this stuff done. So you can understand why they'd want to put them through a test. But they said, no, don't have enough coppers it we'll scrap the test if you have a below average ATAR, And sure enough they have had a little bit of an uptick. One hundred and sixty applicants I've managed to skip the cue. Now that they've got rid of these rules.
Speaker 3: One of the most.
Speaker 4: Concerning things, though, I think is that they've taken away the requirement for most people to have an appointment with a psychologist Liz before they become a police officer.
Speaker 3: Well, being a.
Speaker 4: Police officer is a job where you will potentially have to see and deal with some horrible, horrible things. And then saying you don't even have to go and see a site to make sure that you're okay in the head before you go into this job, I reckon, that's opening themselves up to real danger and all sorts of cases and whatever in future, saying, well, you didn't have any duty of care making sure that I was right for this job before you put me in front of dead bodies and squished people in cars exactly.
Speaker 5: And of course nobody can anticipate what you're going to come up against while you're out on the beat on any given day, So I would have thought that that would definitely be something you simply don't drop, because it's your job as an employer to be aware of someone's capacity when it's this kind of front line job. But hey, Victoria has seen recruitment served by fifty percent by just making it by just dropping the standards. The spiral is everywhere. Keep noticing. Over in South Australia they've adopted a different method of getting their recruits in. Here's the police recruitment video, Grant Stevens saying, hey, come one, come all, will pay for your visas. All you cops from overseas come to South Australia.
Speaker 2: We'll give you a job.
Speaker 6: Hi on Grant Stephens, Commissioner for South Australia Police. We're recruiting internationally, and I'm inviting you to apply. We've got a lot of competitive advantages, including a great salary, and we'll pay for the cost of permanent visas.
Speaker 2: For you and your family. Not to mention we've got this. It's a humorous ad and not a bad ploy.
Speaker 5: But how do we feel as Ausies seeing our state cops literally appeal to all in sundry overseas saying, hey, we're so desperate for recruits, we'll pay for visas for you and your family come to this beautiful island nation.
Speaker 2: Makes it sound like an absolute.
Speaker 1: Signer.
Speaker 4: I could go back to South Australian so, I mean, Grant Stevens and I have had our differences in the past, but I think he's actually a pretty good police commissioner in South Australia. I'm just not sure that him getting his hearing pins out and wearing short satuation, he's actually going to encourage anyone to come across the shores.
Speaker 1: With him, Right up to the point where he dropped his trousers.
Speaker 7: I did need that.
Speaker 1: I think it's good. I think it's funny. I think we get I mean, well, well, well, we also pride ourselves on being a nation of Alarakeans in Australia, and every single time anyone does something slightly offbeat, slightly kind of funny, we all go, oh my god, how could he do that? They get all outraised. We aren't you getting local people. I'll tell you why, because they're not applying. Because you if you're outraged and you're not a cop, because you have not applied to join the police force. That is the problem. That is why they're getting people from overseas. If you're a cop, who's saying, why aren't we getting more local people? I did my bit. You are totally excused. Anyone else, You've got no excuse to say it, because you should be signing up. In New South Wales. In New South there is a shortfall of three thousand police officers and he said I was actually one of the biggest police forces in the world. There is a shortage of three thousand, so three thousand less than they need for the actual requirements, which is causing burnout for the people who are already there because they're having to do extra work right, and not only that, but they are not even recruiting enough that they need to fill the existing scope, so they're not actually so not only are they so they're on this big recruitment drive to fill this three thousand and they are below target for the drive to fill it. So again, if you are not applying for the police force, you have no right to criticize whatever it is these governments are doing to try to get people into police force because, like teachers, is a massive shortage.
Speaker 5: But interestingly, when you read the Daily Mail article on this, which was very funny, there's a lot of comments from people who on this video that he made then absolutely savaging him because they had all their stories about my applied and he was this, and he was that, and you guys knocked him back for this reason and all these reasons from local would be recruits, and these people were absolutely furious to see him advertising for overseas cops when they felt and reading their comments, I had to agree with them. Their people or people that they knew friends and family, had been knocked back for reasons that they did not think past the public.
Speaker 1: Maybe that psychological test, well exactly, if you have it, you've been knocked back, that's totally fair enough. But other people getting out right.
Speaker 4: Now, you know, we didn't need to have some standards somewhere in all of this, don't we Speaking of standards, this is very strange one over in Germany. You may not have heard of this before. It's illegal to insult someone in Germany. I'm not joking. It is the law in Germany.
Speaker 1: I will read to you that had that law of the nineteen thirties.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I'll read to you this bit of the law in the Criminal Code in Germany. This is specifically about politicians, but there are other laws that say it's illegal to insult anyone. But it says in the Criminal Code one eight to eight insults, lander and defamation directed against persons in political life. If an insult is committed against a person involved in the political life of the people publicly in a meeting or by disseminating content, for reasons related to the insulted sorry person's position in public life, and if the act is too likely significantly impede their public activities, the punishment shall be imprisonment for up to three years or a fine. The political life of the people extends down to the municipal level, so everyone from a counselor through to a federal politician in Germany is protected by the law from being insulted, which brings me to this extraordinary case of journalist David Bendel's.
Speaker 3: He works for an outlet in.
Speaker 4: Germany, a generally right wing outlet, and he posted a meme online of a federal Interior minister, Nancy Faser, holding up a sign which you'll be able to see here on the screen. Now, of course, the original one was done in German. She's holding up a piece of paper.
Speaker 2: This is the.
Speaker 4: English translation on which mister Bendalls has written, I hate freedom of speech right. It's just a sign, great crime that says it's been digitally altered. It says I hate freedom of speech right. It just seems like a pretty straightforward, satirical meme that you'd bang up on social media and you wouldn't think much more about. Well, not if you're mister Bendles, because he's just been given a seven month suspended prison sentence for doing this and given a fine which is equivalent to sixty percent of his yearly income. Yes, for the crime of posting a meme on social media. And if you think I'm overblowing how the law works in Germany, just listen to prosecutors in Germany. This was very recently on sixty Minutes in the US, they interviewed prosecutors in Germany and explicitly asked them, is it okay? Is it illegal to insult someone in public? And could it potentially be even worse if you do it online?
Speaker 3: For some reason? This was their answer.
Speaker 8: As prosecutors explain it, the German constitution protects free speech, but not hate speech. And here's where it gets tricky. German law prohibits any speech that could insite hatred or is deemed insulting. It's illegal to display Nazi symbolism, a swastika, deny the Holocaust.
Speaker 2: That's that's clear.
Speaker 8: Is it a crime to insult somebody in public?
Speaker 9: Yes, yes, and it's a.
Speaker 8: Crime to insult them online as well.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 10: The fine could be even higher if you insign someone in the internet.
Speaker 4: Why it could be even higher if you do it on the internet. He goes on to say, it's because it lives forever on the internet. I mean, Liz, you know you look a bit fat tonight or not judge your germanile really blousy Todd.
Speaker 9: Sorry, I'm sorry, but seriously, like this is insane. This is literally insane that someone has been given a suspended prison sentence and a significant five for posting a satirical mean of a politician.
Speaker 5: Irony is dead right, because what an own goal by this Nancy Fezer for.
Speaker 2: Crying out loud.
Speaker 5: This only was prosecuted. This journalist was only prosecuted because.
Speaker 2: She pursued it. What an own goal.
Speaker 5: So here's this guy mocking you and the German government for eroding freedom of speech in Germany, and you prove his points spectacularly by getting him a seven month suspended prison sentence and finding him sixty percent off his wage. Mike Drop lady, you've done a massive own goal.
Speaker 2: How stupid? What do you have for brains?
Speaker 5: Quite seriously, if you wanted to disprove the guy's point, you would have done none of that. But sadly Germany doesn't make the headlines.
Speaker 2: As much as the UK does.
Speaker 5: This is quite commonplace there, people being prosecuted for sharing things online.
Speaker 2: Yes, including means.
Speaker 5: It sounds ridiculous, but notice what the prosecutors.
Speaker 2: Said in that video or freedom.
Speaker 5: Of speech is protected but not hate speech. How many times have I told you they're the same thing.
Speaker 2: You don't need freedom of speech.
Speaker 5: If you're just saying nice uncontroversial things all the time. And we've noticed, we've watched in real time viewers as what contributes to hate speech has become broader and broader.
Speaker 2: Maybe it is.
Speaker 5: Caleb even jokingly calling me fat this evening, if I want to take that up, is that going to be counted as hates.
Speaker 3: Would be particular?
Speaker 5: It is a witness, a thank you, But we keep enlarging the definition.
Speaker 1: Of hate that is the real And then people.
Speaker 5: Are saying, oh, well, what about freedom of speech? You don't have it, because freedom of speech is hate speech and vice versa.
Speaker 2: You either have.
Speaker 1: Both or you have now like I think, you know, however you wan to define it. But any incitement to violence is obviously something should be banned. So that one's, especially in Germany, obviously should be banned. And you know, if you want to call that hate speech or you know, you know, if you're saying something like the Nazis did at the time, you know, Jews are animals or there as well, that obviously I think there's a clear case for banning it. The problem is, as you say that, the left end just basically chucks everything they don't like into a bucket and says, right, all of this is now hate speech.
Speaker 2: Like they did in Victoria recently.
Speaker 1: And the interesting thing and the interesting thing is and this is alternative for Germany Party, alternative for doutschat, which I really really don't like and I think is a really really sinister I think it's more than just.
Speaker 2: And who I love and think are incredible.
Speaker 1: No, no, but these are not like the kind of even like the La Penz in France next door or the Reform UK that for these are. These are to the right of that and have some pretty scary connections. But anyway, but having said.
Speaker 2: All that, they've fired they yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: But they were there in the first place. That's the troubling thing.
Speaker 5: But every major party in Australia hasn't fired candidates that they later found.
Speaker 1: Nazis everywhere. There's some under them.
Speaker 4: I will I will remind I will remind you Joe Labor Party was the party of the white Australia.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, that's right. Let's not get to that's right. But there's a slight difference between that and the a f D.
Speaker 2: Call them all calling the vast majority of Germany.
Speaker 1: That's right. And they got I think they got the second highest, second highest art of the last elections.
Speaker 2: But they did.
Speaker 1: But and again that is very troubling. But the idea that you can and clearly authorities just want to sort of stamp this out, and so well, well if we can. We can't stop the ballot box, but we can stop them at the courthouse and make it illegal for people to say these things. And there was a book that was released recently, I think it was called A History of Free Speech or something, and I was listening to an interview with the author of it, and he actually found that all the attempts they actually did this with the actual Nazi Party in the nineteen thirties in the Weimar Republic, where they did try to outlaw or censon newspapers that were writing pro Nazi propaganda or try to ban them from congregt and gathering, and of course the opposite happened. It enabled Hitler and this sort of tiny nascent Nazi movement to claim the victim cards say the government, the Jewish Bolsheviks were actually trying to oppress you and stopping you from hearing the truth about this, that and the other. And likewise, post World War Two, with the denartification everything, mind Camp was banned in Germany. It's only recently been allowed to be republished with sort of all these explanatory notes attached to it. And again the reason they'd mine camp because we can't have a rise of far Ride or neo Nazism and what's happened. It's happened anyway, and so clearly bannything simply does not work.
Speaker 2: Suppression anyway does not work well.
Speaker 5: Today we saw the energy debate, the big face off at the National Press Club between Chris Bowen, the Energy Minister, and the opposition Energy Minister Ted O'Brian, And of course it wouldn't be an energy debate without Chris Bowen giving us here at Sky News an honorable mention for all our hard work covering his work or lack thereof.
Speaker 10: You've got strongers about these matters, which you express on Sky News in the Evenings, and that's your right. I disagree with the way that you look at these manners. I disagree with the approach that you take. It's disingenuous and dishonest of you to blame all this sorenewable energy as you do on Sky in the Evenings. It's just not right, sir, it's just not fair.
Speaker 5: As the saying goes, the truth only hurts when it should Energy Minister. Now, of course Ted O'Brien had quiteened easy part to play today because everyone.
Speaker 2: Knows the truth of the state of energy in our nation.
Speaker 5: They've been paying for it by bleeding out of every orifice thanks to the Labour's great race to green energy.
Speaker 2: So here he was just stating the obvious.
Speaker 11: Under labor that future will see Australia become poorer, weaker and more dependent on foreign supply chains. Under the Coalition, Australia will become richer, stronger and fiercely independent.
Speaker 5: Anyone hearing that is I wateringly aware of the facts. All you have to do is consult your latest energy bill. But then they had a bit of bifo, much like we saw last night between.
Speaker 2: The Treasurer and the Shadow.
Speaker 5: But these guys seem to be on a Chinese menu theme of some kind.
Speaker 10: You mentioned opposition modeling, which I think is our generous term. I mean, this is the document. I've seen more detailed menus in a Chinese restaurant. In this document, this is clearly.
Speaker 3: Policy on the run.
Speaker 10: It's been written after the budget reply.
Speaker 11: And this is coming from the Minister whose own plan wouldn't fit in a Chinese fortune cookie, if anything, that's probably where it would belong.
Speaker 5: Causing many viewers to be like, hey, this reminds me of something. This is reminiscent of an old Australian gem.
Speaker 12: Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest. What is the charge eating a meal? A succulent Chinese meal.
Speaker 5: But in all seriousness, it was a good, fiery debate. But of course anyone watching you that Chris Bowen had lost before he stood behind the podium.
Speaker 4: I know, I've got to say O'Brien's line was a bit better than Bowen's, I think because Bowen had obviously clearly come up with that one beforehand, and O'Brien had to think on his feet and actually came up with a decent zinger. I think the biggest problem for Bowen and it shone through today and you can see it in that answer when he's talking to Chris Yilman there and you notice what you say on Sky in the Evening so as though it somehow discredits what Christilman, one of the most experienced and respected political journalists in this country says. You know, when he says something, you stand up and take notice.
Speaker 3: But he is just so arrogant and it just oozes out of his purse.
Speaker 1: Play the ball and not the man. And I think that actually will work more in Bowen's favor if he just plays a straight bat and looks like he's not the one getting snarky and he's the one that's dealing with facts and everyone else is not. And of course he was trying to deflect from the fact that power prices have gone out. I don't know why you wouldn't just say, well, yes, look, part of it has been. This component has been when youbles. But that's going to come down, That's what I mean.
Speaker 4: We all know that.
Speaker 1: But just to get back to the Chinese restaurant analogies, because I think that is the real take home message of this debate. I wrote a piece today praising Ted O'Brien for just getting on board the metaphor just jumping on board the dragon, you know, on board the China said, But he says, because he is doing it on the run. He says, well, your policy wouldn't even fit in a Chinese fortune cookie. Not wouldn't fit in a fortune cookie, because it's really big and comprehensive and detailed. Of course, what I've been to say was would fit in the comment. But then he said, because it's just filled with slogans. It's like Chinese fortune cookies aren't filled with slogans, they're filled with fortunes.
Speaker 3: Sorry, they are filled with slogans.
Speaker 1: No, it says like, you know, may you live in interesting times, or you know you will come into great luck.
Speaker 2: Quite depressing.
Speaker 4: It's your wife fortune at all.
Speaker 1: Your wife's left you for your best friend's not home alone in the house.
Speaker 4: Goodness, gracious me. If you open your fortune cookie and that's what shows up, please let me know. I'd like to know what's in Adam Band's fortune cookie, though, because we know he's going gung ho here because he can sniff the windy. He thinks there's a very good opportunity, of course that will end up with the hung parliament, and there is a really good opportunity that will end up with a hung parliament after May three, and so he wants to be right in there with the Greens getting the balance of power, bringing labor to power. Of course, it depends on what day you ask the Prime Minister. Some days you'll say there's never going to be a deal, and on other days you'll say he can't rule it out, he's going to I'll just slip at the tongue, Joe, when when the when the when the rubber hits the road, we'll see how things actually go.
Speaker 3: But we've seen some numbers today and how much all of these.
Speaker 4: Demands that Bans coming up with would cost Labor if they were to accede to them. It's just measly two hundred and fifteen billion dollars in things like changing capital, James tax and all this sort of.
Speaker 9: So nothing to worry about, nothing to worry about.
Speaker 4: What so ever, And can you believe it's even got the sympathy of Peter Dutton. Even Peter Dutton says he feels sorry for Anthony Albanezi.
Speaker 13: So I think the most worrying thing out of all of this is that there is an enormous amount of sympathy in Anthony Albanesi's left wing government for the sorts of things that Adam Bant is putting on the table. I think he would get a receptive hearing. And Anthony Albanesi is the most left leaning prime minister or leader of the Labor Party since GoF Whitlam. And he has a natural sympathy for these arguments as well.
Speaker 3: You know, could well happen.
Speaker 4: And of course Sir Adam Bank yesterday was talking about exactly all of this.
Speaker 7: The Greens are within reach of winning seats right across the country and in a minority, we can make things happen.
Speaker 1: Vote Greens.
Speaker 7: We will keep Dutton out and get Labor to act on the cost of living, housing and climate crisis. With more Greens, we can put more pressure on Labor.
Speaker 3: He looks like he's but he had a bump of cocaine or something.
Speaker 4: He's jumping up and down all it.
Speaker 9: Looks like.
Speaker 1: It looks like he's delivering a book. Report says vote Green. And in the end Robinson Crusoe got rescued and went back to the island. The end, and it's just so undergraduate. It is just absolutely staggering. But there is absolutely no way that Labor will ever do any deal or form government with the Greens ever. Again. They have learned since last night though, because they don't have to, that they don't have to be the team. They never will.
Speaker 2: He don't know that until we have the election out.
Speaker 1: They don't have to because what else are the Greens going to do. Are they going to back Peter Dutton? They can't. That's that's a great mistake that they made in twenty ten. They didn't have to form any kind of agreement. All they had to go was, you know what, Adam back, you don't want to support us, support Peter Dutton? We dare you off you go. It'll be the last thing you ever do. And they know that they've got the Greens over a barrel. And the reason why the Greens are jumping up and down now is not only they know that, but they realize that Labor there's a very strong chance they will not now be in minority government. They could form a majority, or form something that's just so slightly below majority that they don't need the Greens, so they could just do Andrew Wilkie or maybe one of the other independents, or pick off one or two with the Tills or whatever. So the Greens are trying to deal themselves back into a hand, back into a game that no one wants them sitting at the table for. So it's just a pathetic, transparent attempt at relevancy for the Greens, who are becoming more and more ilil and they're talking about getting more MPs in they're probably going to lose MPs because Labor and the Libs are coming after them, and Brisbane. The Libs are trying to target Ryan. Labor is trying especially Brisbane they think they might win, and Griffith, of course they're hoping to win as well. And the Greens might hold on to maybe one or two of those, but chances are probably one or two well, so they're going to go backwards. So this is Adam Banda sort of talking up a big game, but it's a lot of source from a little bit of spaghetti.
Speaker 4: I'd like to think that was because very quickly before we get to a brag, I did have to have a chucklate at this story today about the demand that AI is creating on energy.
Speaker 3: Of course, we know we have energy problems in this country. We've got energy problems across the world.
Speaker 4: According to the International Energy Agency Data SECENETO electricity consumption will reach about nine hundred and forty five terrawa hours by twenty thirty. That is slightly more than Japan's total energy consumption today. It will become three percent of the entire world's energy usage by twenty thirty. But the funny thing is that that is the opening gambit in this article. But then in the second line, the International Energy Agency says that we can use AI to make the world more energy efficient.
Speaker 3: So we're going to use all of.
Speaker 4: This power to power the AI to tell us, Liz, how to make the world more energy efficient.
Speaker 2: You've got to use more to save more, Caleb.
Speaker 5: It's like you've got to spend money to make money.
Speaker 2: But I can't see anyone peeling back on this. Essentially, AI is an arms race at the moment.
Speaker 5: That's why you've got Prime Minister Kirs Starmer in the UK coming out saying we're going to have this UB We're going to be an AI powerhouse. Trump has said the same since he's come to power Australia. We're a little bit lagging, but I'm no doubt we're going to lean on those guys.
Speaker 2: This is not going anywhere everyone.
Speaker 5: So many of the people that I speak to, because I don't use it on a daily basis, For the amount of people that I speak to just friends and family who use either Chat.
Speaker 2: GBT or other bots on a daily.
Speaker 5: Basis to do countless tasks is absolubly mind.
Speaker 1: They're just going to say, hey, AI, show us a way to make the world use power, and they'll go great, wipe out all humans.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that'll probably actually do that too. After the break, we'll have more details on that. Exclusive from The Australian about an alleged.
Speaker 3: Terror plots position leader Peter Dutton. Don't go away.
Speaker 4: Look, I've had warnings from viewers before about giving away footy scores.
Speaker 3: So I'm not going to do it.
Speaker 4: All I'll say is I'm mightily annoyed right now. Let's get into The Australian, though far more important things over on the olds tomorrow at alleged Terra plot against Peter Dutton.
Speaker 5: Indeed, Dutton alleged a target of schoolboys terror plot. The Splash reads Peter Dutton was allegedly the target of a Brisbane private school student charged with buying ingredients to make bombs and testing homemade explosives in preparation to launch a terrorist attack. The sixteen year old, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was arrested and charged last August after a joint counter terrorism investigation BI Federal and Queensland Police. Now, sources have told The Australian that the teenager was allegedly planning to attack the Federal Opposition leader at his home on an acreage north of Brisbane. The alleged plot, according to the sources familiar with the investigation, involved the use of a drone. Queensland and Federal police declined to comment about their investigation or the evidence against the teenager, who on Thursday was committed to stand trial on a single charge relating to the alleged plot. The teenager, who attended one of Brisbane's prestigious private boys' schools until his arrest, has been charged with a Commonwealth offense of committing acts done in preparation for or planning a terrorist act. It carries a maximum penalty of life imprisonment if convicted. The charge allegers the teenager researched bomb making instructions, purchased explosives, ingredients tested, thermal chemical reactions tested home made explosives contrary to Section ten is that it's tiny. Reading ten L six of the Commonwealth Criminal Code, it is alleged the teenager, who has been held in custody since his arrest, planned the attack over two months, from May the twenty first to July the fifteenth.
Speaker 2: Last year.
Speaker 4: Wow, it's crapy, isn't It's shocking and given given he's been committed to stand trial, presumably has pleaded not guilty. So there will be plenty more to play out on this and there's not much more we can say other than that.
Speaker 3: But it just does bring.
Speaker 4: Home, does it not, the dangers of being in politics sometimes and the impact that being in politics has on people's family life, et cetera.
Speaker 3: You know, it's not something that you take lightly when you go into public.
Speaker 1: Life, and it's something that in Australia we have not had to be used to. We've only had one political assassination in this country, the former Member for Cabramatta in the nineteen nineties John And it's just staggering that there's actually what appears to be an alleged threat to a senior politician's life serious enough for police to actually make an arrest in lay charges.
Speaker 4: That is just.
Speaker 1: We expect that in America, not here.
Speaker 2: Well, you do wonder if it's some of that.
Speaker 4: On the front of the Australian Tomorrow Children's Hospital silent on gender care policy. This is following on from a story we talked about last night. One of the nation's top children's hospitals, has refused to publicly defend its treatment standards for parents questioning the agenda following calls for the concerning guidelines to be repealed after a family court judge criticized them for unconditionally affirming a child's chosen identity. The Royal Children's Hospital Melbourne this week ignore a series of detailed questions from this mass heead regarding its controversial Australian Standards of Care and Treatment guidelines, which failed to question any child that presents concerns regarding the agenda. And it's around the telling. I would think Joe that they have sought not to give any response because they know they're on the back foot now. It's but after that, that ruling out of the Family Court cannot be dismissed in terms of its importance because that sets up case law now about how these things are to be dealt with.
Speaker 1: It does? It does? And my as I keep having said, my way to disclabe, my wife works for qualities to us, so she was dealing with a fallat from that and I don't know where it all landed. But my understanding from what she has told me is that it is actually quite an outlier and that most cases go the other way. And this is a very rare ruling, but we'll see how it ends up on of far, far, far more important matters. Now, let's go to the Hobart Mercury, which has got an absolute cracker yarn on the front page. No, not the report that's been tainted, but up the top right hand corner their cash bid for Aldi. This I just did not have this on my twenty twenty five bingo card. Caleb and Liz. The Greens have vowed to entice discount supermarket chain Aldi to Tasmania under a thirty million dollar policy that would be implemented if the party came to power at the federal level. Tasmanian Green Senator Nick McKim, who is the party's economic justice spokesman, so, I think is what they call their treasury spokesman, and now it's the plan on Thursday, saying it would help ease cost of living pressures in the state. Coles and Wilworth have had a too good for too long and Tasmanians are paying the price, he said, So anybody did their little one? I like a competition, mean, blah blah, blah blah blah. That competition means Shop is here paying a least fifteen dollars more on a basket of essential groceries compared to Aldi, which adds up to hundreds of dollars a year. That could actually be an ad for Aldi that the Greens are featuring it that that is the actual.
Speaker 3: Can I just go back to the lead of the story.
Speaker 4: You know they'll bring Aldi to Tasmania and a thirty million dollar policy that would be implemented if the party came to power at a federal level.
Speaker 1: It ain't gonna happen.
Speaker 4: I mean, they could promise that they're going to give a free car to everyone in Tasmania.
Speaker 3: It ain't gonna happen.
Speaker 1: Hobart, We'll have its first Aldi in twenty seventy five and the mighty Greens opposition rises from Phoenix life from the ashes into the trund to the Treasury benches. It's just promise.
Speaker 2: You simply can't deliver us.
Speaker 5: We don't Tasmania, you can't force It's like just like there's just not absolutely do you know.
Speaker 1: That episode really anyway? Are and anyway a massive gear change? But you love this story? I do not love the content that thought it was very important children targeted, says Vanessa Marsh. Facebook uses the unfathomable amount of off platform data it collects from children to help advertisers. Advertisers like Aldi target them at their most vulnerable. Aldi wouldn't do that unless they were vulnerable to cost of living pressures. Okay, I'm going to stop now, has claimed, saying many of the company's staff don't allow their own kids to use social media because they know the harm causes. So Facebook's own staff won't let their own kids use social media because they know all the evil stuff they're doing.
Speaker 3: Who was a good story?
Speaker 14: We are absolutely right Facebook extraordinary read on Facebook's former director of Global Public Policy, Sarah Winn Williams again like the Greens hyphenated surname, told a US Senate committee hearing, the company intentionally prioritized profits over the well being and safety of kids.
Speaker 1: So, for example, if a teenage girl deleted a selfie from her photo app, this would notify advertiser was a really good time to try to sell her a beauty product, because you because she's sing insecure about the way she looks.
Speaker 3: This is so evil. I hate them.
Speaker 1: It is horrible, and the.
Speaker 4: Fact that we allow them to collect all of this data is the most extraordinary thing as well. You know, it did a good well to criticize the companies as well, we should, but you know, we let them into our phones. It has become so ridiculous now, as we've said many times, if the product is free, you are the product.
Speaker 3: After the break, we'll get into some other interesting stuff.
Speaker 4: Could in CNN I've misgendered someone mean, if CNN's doing it, where is safe that more?
Speaker 3: After the break?
Speaker 4: You know, I just saw on Facebook Marketplace someone trying to flog a Sony cassette Walkman for nine hundred dollars. Wonders never ceased, but that may well be what happens if these tariff scale head across the world lives nine hundred dollars for basic electronics.
Speaker 3: What do you readon?
Speaker 5: I tell you there's some trolls in China who are having so much fun with this. They're making these ridiculous AI generated videos of all the countries doing a runway wearing the sash of just how big they're tariffs they've been whacked with.
Speaker 2: Check it out?
Speaker 1: Yeah, god, that act.
Speaker 5: Of course, they're all ten percent now, but that hasn't stopped China from being on a trolling meme roll.
Speaker 2: Get this one.
Speaker 5: They put this out saying, oh, yes, this is Trump's reindustrialization of America.
Speaker 2: It's going spectacularly.
Speaker 5: The implication, of course, is that that's where you Americans will be without all our Chinese products.
Speaker 2: We know you love it.
Speaker 1: I know that the Commies are making jokes at our expence.
Speaker 4: I know I do love that they have kind of, in a roundabout way, admitted that they've got slaves doing all this stuff in China. Anyway, and very quickly before we go over at seeing in the woke Clinton News network, not even they are immune from misgendering people all of apple.
Speaker 5: Senator Bernie Sanders, I want to introduce Greece Thomas.
Speaker 1: She's a local civil rights attorney. She's a Democrat.
Speaker 15: Great, see them pronouns. Actually, thank you, Uh you've need Senator Sanders pauling and turnout to ata indicate that MANI old racial demographics are turning away from the Democratic Party, so.
Speaker 4: To rennex Sanders, Sir, he couldn't believe.
Speaker 3: It when he evading, don't found him. What did she say it?
Speaker 2: What is she talking about?
Speaker 4: Poor old, poor old Bernie's just not ready for the dangers.
Speaker 1: What a self important winker would you have to be?
Speaker 4: Correct television Anyway, that's us this week. Thank you so much for joining us. Threadom Hatter show Up nex