Speaker 1: Approche production.
Speaker 2: Have you ever lost something, maybe it was your keys, your mobile phone, or something more valuable. To find them, you retrace your steps, You look in all the places they're most likely to be, and sometimes you look in places where they're probably not, but just in case. Sometimes when things go missing, you blame other people. You ask them if they've put them somewhere, if they've seen them. You sometimes think the worst, maybe they've been stolen, taken from you when you weren't looking. Some of those theories that you come up with when something goes missing are far fetched. You blame and have unreasonable thoughts. Those themes will be explored in this podcast, but not with insignificant material things, but with a person. This is a story of Desmond Francis Carr, who was last seen at three pm on August two, nineteen seventy nine, and then he disappeared. Nineteen seventy nine. The Prime Minister of Australia was Malcolm Fraser.
Speaker 3: We must guide Australia safely through the difficulties and the dangers.
Speaker 2: The Sony Walkman was released in Japan. NASA's first orbiting space station crashes to Earth after being in orbit for other six years.
Speaker 1: It's one thing. I'll live us again, see it score coming towards us.
Speaker 2: Margaret Thatcher was the UK's first ever female Prime minister.
Speaker 1: Dependent pause will dash about and you have to have an iron nerve.
Speaker 4: Which across is appropriate from Iron Lady.
Speaker 2: And Prisoner started on TV.
Speaker 5: Honey Side Still shot.
Speaker 2: At thirty eight years old. Desmond Francis Carr or Des as he was, was the youngest son of Dolly.
Speaker 5: And Frank Carr from WA.
Speaker 2: Frank DES's dad was a large man, not heavy, but tall and lanky. Frank worked for the main roads department that Jobby's son, Dez would one day inherit. Dorothy or Dolly as everyone knew her, was Frank's wife. They had a lovely marriage, lived in a quiet town called York, and lived a modest life with their three daughters and youngest son, Dez. There was one other child, his name was Max. Three days after Max was born, he passed away. Shirley DES's little sister recounts what life is like back then in York.
Speaker 4: Beautiful little town. I mean I could live there again now if I had two Yeah, would definitely days used to walk to school with me. Make sure that none of the kids picked on me, you know, if they did look out. He was very protective of me. Yeah. I had lots of little friends at school and that.
Speaker 2: Yet things were pretty simple for a teenager growing up in York. You loved afl and hung out with your mates. That's exactly how Dez grew into an adult. He loved hanging out with mates, watching TV and looking after his little sister Shirley.
Speaker 4: You know, we really got on well together. You know, mainly played football. Theirs wasn't really a very athletic person, you know, he used to like his TV. He wasn't a smoker or drinker. Then he used to look after me at school, at playtime and things like that. Where during when we're a bit older and they didn't want to be caught with little sister.
Speaker 5: Did he finish school?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think he left school third grade. Third what do you call it?
Speaker 1: That grade?
Speaker 4: That at high school? Yeah, it was pretty good at school. Not a gee whiz, but he got through like I did. You know, Green and Joy were the same. Nobody was extra bright, but we just managed to get through everything.
Speaker 5: Yet and growing up, what it does want to be what it was?
Speaker 1: The insident?
Speaker 4: Well, he wanted to be a race car driver. My dad put the stock to that, so I think he was a bit of Alarican.
Speaker 2: Shirley is almost seventy five now. She was only thirty five when des vanished. Her memories are fading, mainly due to mild dementia and some stress throughout a life, but some of the memories of DEAs are really clear.
Speaker 4: We've had a little hardware store, you know, it's only a probably because of a normal toilet. And yeah, he used to go after school and helped clean up the yard and things like that. It never got paid money for it, but he got other little things like if he wanted a toy from the show, or little things like rope and that he used to when people used to say, what's he rope for? What was he going to do with that? But he was less doing the kangaroos, wasn't he, we found out later on?
Speaker 5: And what would you do with the kangaroos? After he lies?
Speaker 4: I don't know, I don't want to know. I'll just leave that to everyone else's imagination. Was he a happy kid, yeah, very mischievous, cheeky.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: As an adult and when he started to get a bit older, and got out of the hardware.
Speaker 4: What was his job then, Well, mainly he was working out north for the main raged department, same as what Dad did. Dad. And apparently he got mixed up with the wrong crowd. He got into drinking before he left to go up north. He didn't drink alcohol, you know what I mean, but I think he got addicted to it. And he wasn't a nasty drunk or anything like that, but he was a big drinker. Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: And so how old was he when he went up north?
Speaker 4: I think it was seventeen, I think sixteen or seventeen.
Speaker 5: So pretty young young. Would you say you were close brothers?
Speaker 4: Yeah, very close. Yeah. He was my idol, you know, my big brother because there's only one boy in the family, and I used to look after me, you know a lot, but was joined when they were away nursing all the time, so they didn't grow up with him sort of like I did. And it was, you know, happened to put it. The big brother's not here anymore, he's gone up nort you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: So when we're talking about up north, whereabouts did he go?
Speaker 4: Palled Headland just all around that area? Arrousked about I think you'd call him.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so he'd work on.
Speaker 4: On farms and things like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Later on in life he went to the main Rage Department, working for.
Speaker 2: Them obtaining disser's worklogs from the West Australian main roads. He was stationed at a small Aboriginal outpost called Thangu, sixteen hundred kilometers north of Perth and only eighty kilometers from Broome. Thangu is a coastal homestead first established in nineteen fifty by a farmer hoping to raise cattle. Although Thangu is coastal, it's still around forty kilometers inland from any beach and so is classed as outback. Out Back Australia is some of the harshest countryside in the world. Most people are afraid of the snakes and spiders that they believe inhabit these lands, but in fact more people perish in outback Australia because of the sun, the heat and the unforgiving landscape. There is red dirt everywhere. Outside of the major towns are Aboriginal communities, mostly off the beaten track. Des was working on a road that now stretches from Perth on Australia's West coast to its northmost port Windham. The Great Northern Highway is Australia's longest road at over three two hundred kilometers. In nineteen seventy nine, Dees was working on the stretch of dirt road that would eventually link Port, Headline and Broom. Temperatures in these outback areas often reach above thirty five degrees, but on the freshly latar it can get into the high forties. I think it's important to try and understand the sort of person Des was. He was a bit of a loner, being the only boy in the family. As a child, he would often find his own fun. Sometimes that fun would turn into mischief. Des wasn't afraid of being by himself, which probably led to him moving up north to work, working as part of a main roads team. The hours were long, but the money was good. From the records we received, it seemed like Des didn't have any mates as such up north. He had work colleagues, but none of those tight sort of friendships that you establish while working in a remote area for months with the same group of blokes. He was happy that way. Des didn't have a girlfriend or a wife, and from what the family remember, little romantic interest. The lifestyle working on these remote roads consists of waking up, getting trucked out to the area you're assigned to work. Then at the end of the day you get picked up and head back to camp for some tucker and a beer or two. Often you're working on your own with no one else around. That was DES's life. Before we dig into what happened on August s second, nineteen seventy nine, we have to step back over ten years and uncover what could have led to DES's disappearance. DES's older sister, Joy remembers.
Speaker 6: Nineteen sixty six, we had the car accident. Des was still in per thin and he used to come over to the hospital because I hadn't the spine broken. And he used to come over to Beat every day and see me with one of his mates, Rick older set and Rick was called up into the army, so he would have been eighteen. I was berthed by then, and Dares wanted to go too, but he wasn't called up because of medical problems and that he.
Speaker 2: Apparently had more on DES's relationship with his best mate Rick. In episode two, not only was Joy, DES's sister involved in a car crash in nineteen sixty six, but des was also involved in a car crash in the mid seventies. It is possible that alcohol played a part in his crash, although back in those days there was no random breath testing, and so it's possible that des was drink driving when he had his car accident. The details of the accident are sketchy, but what I do know is no one else was injured. Joy, Deser's sister, sheds more light on what happened. We're talking that he had a car crash and you don't remember where that was. Was he badly injured?
Speaker 6: I think he had concussion.
Speaker 2: This wouldn't be the only concussion he received just before he disappeared. There was another incident that could have led to his disappearance. We'll explore that in episode two. For now, let's mark down concussion as a possible reason for Deser's disappearance. There is a theme emerging around DES's relationship with alcohol. We heard from both his sisters that Dez had a drinking problem of sorts. This problem only really emerged when he moved up north to work. Each year in Australia, tens of thousands of people go missing loved ones that have simply up and vanished with no sight, no record of their last movements. Susie is from Leave a Light on Ink, a Facebook group that helps connect long term missing people's stories and their families. She told me what she does to help in the search for a missing person.
Speaker 7: We aim to raise awareness of long term missing persons and provide support for families suffering the ambiguous loss of their loved ones. We endeavor to try and create media publicity for long term missing persons, sus We also work alongside the Australian Federal plase ensuring that long term missing persons are listed onto their database. We also work with families to help to find answers for them for questions that they might have that they struggle to find information for. Plus, we also liaised with the families sort of as an intermediate between them and the jung FED or police and missing persons units.
Speaker 2: So there are at the moment thirty eight thousand people reported missing each year in Australia. Not of those, a small portion of them is what you call long term missing persons. What does a long term missing person mean?
Speaker 7: That they've been missing for longer than three months? And there's approximately one percent of that thirty eight thousands that go missing every year that aren't located that end up falling into that long term missing persons category. Currently, there's over two thousand, six hundreds long term missing persons in Australia.
Speaker 2: When you think about what changes a person can go through in forty years, it's almost impossible to imagine what Dees would be like now, What would he look like, what interests would he have? Dees is not alone in being missing.
Speaker 5: For forty years.
Speaker 2: Susie from Leave a Light On shares her own experience with a long term missing person.
Speaker 7: My sister Joanne was eleven years old when she was kidnapped from the Adelaide Oval in nineteen seventy three. So as a legacy to her and also as a legacy to all the other long term missing persons here in Australia, we created Leave a Lot On to help raise awareness and give supports family. I was actually born fourteen months after my sister disappeared, so I never had the opportunity to meet her. My family used to go to the football nearly every week, and this day they'd gone to the football. They always sat in the same sort of area. They'd met a lady years before and made quite good friends with her. She was there that day with her granddaughter. Her granddaughter needed to go to the toilet, so my sister offered to take her. After a few minutes, they returned, and then later in the game, Cursy, who was four years old, to go to the toilet again, so Joanne once again took her to the toilet, but unfortunately this time they didn't return. My mum, brother and dad had a bit an extensive search of the ground and unfortunately couldn't locate her. So she was reporting to think along with Percy.
Speaker 2: Since then, there's never been a sighting, never been any news about both the girls.
Speaker 7: Over the years, There's been a number of suspects that the police have investigated. Unfortunately there hasn't been enough evidence to charge anyone, and sadly there hasn't been enough evidence to locate either or Joanne. The girls were seen leaving the oval with a tall, stooped man in his late thirties and early forties. Kirsty was being carried by this gentleman and Joanne was struggling with him, pulling on his arm and quite trying to get him to drop thirsty and there were a number of witnesses that come forward to verify this information. But unfortunately the suspect for the girls have been located over the forty six years.
Speaker 2: It doesn't make it any easier. But I guess you have some knowledge around what happened because someone saw something and that the girls were taken from the oval. So what happens after that moment, it's hard to suppose and you don't want to think about, but I guess that's a little bit of information. And that's not always the case with long term missing people.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 7: Unfortunately, there are a lot of people that go missing that seems to just vanishing sin here and nothing is seen, there's no evidence left behind, there's no information.
Speaker 2: And that's exactly what happened to Dez. He just vanished. So did he go walk about, did he want to disappear? Or is there something more sinister behind his disappearance.
Speaker 4: So this particular day, they dropped off at the certain place did he had to go to. He had his water, he had his food, dude, and they came to pick these up that afternoon. No nowhere to be found, just like someone plucked him up, you.
Speaker 2: Know, Dez had three sisters. He grew up in a small country town in Wa. He was a normal country boy who grew into a young man who liked hanging out with his mates, playing a bit of footye, and getting up to childhood mischief. His middle sister, Joy, has her memories of des in those early days living.
Speaker 5: In New York.
Speaker 8: Oh, it was great.
Speaker 6: Every year we used to get floods just about We lived on the opposite side of the river to the school, and we loved having floods because the bridges would be covered and we didn't have to go to school.
Speaker 8: That was great.
Speaker 6: Yeah, No, it was good. And we had our grandparents, my mum's parents living just out a little way out of town and with a really great joy to go out.
Speaker 4: There.
Speaker 6: Had a big well back of the house, and there's being a little boy used to like to try and climb up this windmill thing, and he would always get roused at. He still kept doing it, but he didn't do any harm as it turned out, But they were frightened that some of the boards on top of the well might have given away. Yeah, it would always make something excuse for him to come and play with us. He didn't like playing with dogs, like all boys, you know, liked playing rough games marbles and that. In fact, I can remember.
Speaker 1: I don't know how.
Speaker 6: Old I was. Theirs had the measles, and we used to go into the bedroom with in Gwin and I and play and throw around. He pushed me one day and he put his knee up and he hit me in the mouth and knocked on two front ties out.
Speaker 2: So Daz was an explorer and an adventurer. He didn't seem like he was afraid to take risks. As Darz grew older, he developed a bit of a loner mentality. He had friends, but that group of friends was small. His best friend in the early seventies was Rick. Des and Rick would hang out together and get into a bit of trouble, nothing serious, just what we'd call alarican these days. As we heard in episode one, DES's best mate, Rick was called up to Vietnam. Des wasn't because of some unconfirmed medical issues. While Rick was stationed in Vietnam, something happened, something that affected DES's emotional state that could have contributed to his disappearance in nineteen seventy nine.
Speaker 6: Rick was only overseas in Vietnam for oh, just two or three months. I think it wasn't he was killed that really hit is hard, and I think that's when he started to go drinking a bit more than what he should have been.
Speaker 2: Death often has a way of triggering emotion that might not normally appear. In de Us case, it wasn't just an emotion that was triggered. It was drinking. Dez started drinking and drinking hard. Was Dez drinking to forget or drinking to dull the Paine? Whatever his reason, his family feel this may have contributed to his disappearance. At this point in the podcast, I think it's important to call out a few things. There is a certain significance with this story that I'm attached to. We will explore that in later episodes. But it's fair to say this story is not just intriguing to me. It's played a part in my life for a long time. Let's get to the disappearance. It was an evening in late June nineteen seventy nine at Thangu station in out back Western Australia. Dez had finished work on his steamroller. After working in the hot suny himself on a road stretching fifty kilometers it was an unsealed road, and Desert's roll at this time was to steam roll the road flat and from there a team would come in and lay down hot ashphalt. Then the road would be classed as sealed. You can see pictures of that red dirt that would soon become a sealed road on our website. Whereas dez dot com, Thangu's station was the meeting point for the main roads department and where workers from all over the stretch of highway were stationed. Most nights, it was the same get back from the road, have some grub in the mess hall, have some beers and hit the sack. These days, drinking while being a fly and fly at worker is not tolerated for good reason. Most fly and fly out workers are breathlyzed before they start a shift and they must have a reading of zero. In fact, most FIFO workers are not allowed to drink while they're on roster. It's only when they're on the leave that they can unwind. That's now, But in nineteen seventy nine the rules were different, mainly because there were no rules. You could get drunk head to work the next day and not be breath tested.
Speaker 4: Mom and Dad were worried about him drinking, but that's a depthural thing. All the young blokes up there, you go to work through the day. It didn't interfere with his job. They all had a beer of a night time, So how can you do you know?
Speaker 2: In June nineteen seventy nine, a few months before he went missing, Dez had finished writing a letter to his mum and dad and had decided to head into the nearest town, Derby, which was a little under forty kilometers from the station. It was a Friday night, and after a long week at work, it was finally time to unwind at about ten pm. From the records and interviews that were conducted around the time, was a fight. There is no record of who was in the fight and why it occurred, but whatever happened, it didn't end well for des He suffered a cut on the head, a cut so bad he needed to be taken to Derby Hospital. This head knock is well documented in the police reports back from nineteen seventy nine. The detective in charge back then is now eighty two years old and retired. He put us in touch with the current detective in charge of missing Persons in wa Detective Sergeant Jude Sevright, she shared some information from his missing person's file.
Speaker 8: A missing person's reports was compiled by a Sergeant Pethick who was attached to Brim Police station at the time, and his inquiries has shown that before Des went missing, he was apparently suffering from quite terrible headaches, so the sergeants contacted Broom Hospital and he was advised that back on the twenty third of June, in only seventy nine, that Des was treated by a doctor for an injury to his right temple, which according to the notes stated that he received in a fight, and the next ray was taken at the time, but it revealed that there wasn't It was negative for any fractures and he received no further treatment. From the notes that I'm being made aware of, he was advised to return to the hospital for follow up, but I don't believe that Des did return to the hospital following that. Another check with Derby Hospital revealed that he was treated there on the twenty first of the next month in July and again suffering from headaches and apparently had some sort of infected lesion on his right scalp through which he was treated with antibiotics and it was quested to return to the hospital in a few days. From my understanding, he didn't return.
Speaker 2: It's interesting that there's a month between him first presenting to Broome Hospital on the twenty third of June in nineteen seventy nine and then presenting again in Derby a month later with a similar sort of area and this was back from that fight that happened around the June time in seventy nine.
Speaker 8: Yeah, he seems to be having this continuing similar symptoms that he's presenting for. And then from what I understand, on the first of August in nineteen seventy nine, he was so unwell from his headaches that he was unable to tend to work, so he remained at the camp all that day. And it's also believe that he hasn't around that time, he wasn't eating well. I'm assuming this is to do with the fact that he wasn't well and it maybe maybe to do with what you've mentioned or related to the headache symptoms.
Speaker 2: Is there any extra detail on the fight, because Frank Carr, Desmond's dad, said that a chair fell on him and this is how Frank recounts the story.
Speaker 8: I read that in the newspaper article, but I'm not sure where that information has come from. It's not I don't have any other information about that in the file.
Speaker 2: So the police report is that the reason that he had a bump on the head was not from a chair, but from a fight.
Speaker 8: That's what's written in the report here.
Speaker 2: What is the most interesting here is that this detail of the fight is different than what the family believe happened to him and how he got a bump on the head, a bump bad enough to be sent to hospital twice in as many months. On August second, nineteen seventy nine, although still not feeling one hundred percent, des was picked up from the camp along with the other workers. He had not complained of any headaches on the morning. He was suffering mild diarrhea from the earlier in fact, from the bump on the head. However, he still went out to work on the roller. Each workout would be dropped off at a designated machine on the highway. Today, Dez was driving a roller. It was just him on a stretch of road that was around ten kilometers ten kilometers of highway with just Dez and his roller with him. On that day. He had his lunch packed and a blue water bottle, the kind that was made of foam. He was wearing black shorts, a red shirt, and brown boots with a bucket hat. The time was eight thirty am. At three pm that same day, the truck that dropped Dez off in the morning had driven past him to head out to pick up the other workers from a further post, and they saw him working on the roller. By four pm, when the truck returned to pick him up, des had disappeared. That's exactly how Shirley, his little sister, remembers it.
Speaker 4: Because he's worked for the main roads department. They dropped them off of the morning at a certain place with all their water and their food and that for the day. So this particular day, they dropped Theirs off at a certain place that he had to go to. He had his water, he had his food, he had his boots, and that on dropped him off, went down further and dropped other people off.
Speaker 5: You know they do that.
Speaker 4: I think it's one or two people, but Theirs was the only one by himself, and they did that and just went back to their camp. When they came to pick Theirs up, that night, all that afternoon, no nowhere to be found, just like someone plucked him up. You know, steam roll was still running on the side of the road that had been on that was the actual motor was still going. Then they thought, well, okay, he's going to be here somewhere.
Speaker 2: It's not often that something just ups and vanishes on a deserted stretch of road with no food, no water, no shelter, and thirty kilometers from the closest camp. But that's what happened to Daz.
Speaker 4: What they told us that he'd probably wanted to go to the toilet or something to relieve himself. So he's probably just walked over in the bush and didn't come back. He the police and that were called straightaway. They were there within an hour. They looked everywhere, so many kilometers around that area. They just didn't look at that certain place. They went inland, they went on the other side of the road, and I think there was seventeen of them to look at the area where the last time he was seen, and nobody found anything. No tracks, there was no you know, like he had big boots in that on there's no tracks at all. If they had a band, we probably would have found him, even the manager or whatever he said. He said, he's like something's pucked him off them upstairs. Someone's just come down and pull him up. And because that was a silly thing, we didn't believe any of that. You know, that doesn't happen. It just doesn't happen. But as the years went on, we thought, well, if he's not deceased under a bush or something like that, where's the other place. If you go.
Speaker 2: You might notice there are some gaps when the exact detail of what the family remember and what was actually documented in the police report over forty years ago. Detective Sergeant Jude Severright explains the official report.
Speaker 8: From what I understand from the report, he went to work as usual on the second from information from a colleague that he was not feeling well. He interacted with his colleagues at morning tea time, spoke to several different persons. He went back to the camp at lunchtime, though he did not eat. From what I understand, and at about two pm that day in the report it meant is that he spoke to someone I'm not sure who that's someone is and said I'll be back at the camp in two hours and then at three pm, he was working with four other persons from what I understand, didn't speak to them at that time. I don't know why. That's not elaborated in the report. They left him to continue with his work the ruler. And then at four pm that day, when our vehicles returned to the site where Dez was working to collect him, he wasn't there. It's just his roller parked in the middle of the road.
Speaker 2: So that means there's a period of an hour from three pm to four pm where essentially he's gone missing.
Speaker 8: That's what I understand.
Speaker 2: Yes, and so the gentlemen that were working with him at the time, did they notice anything, or is there anything in the reports about how he was feeling, or whether he was whether he was himself and lucid, or is there any information around what his state was that afternoon.
Speaker 8: There is a comment in the report that he appeared to be becoming a bit more irrational and abnormal. It's not elaborated on, so I don't know what that actually means. But then also in contradiction to that, to some degree, apparently that day when he was speaking to certain people, he seemed okay. So it's not a definitive either way as to as to exactly how he was feeling.
Speaker 2: So des may have been frazzled or a little irrational on the day he went missing. However, if it just walked off, surely if that had happened, there would be a trace or a body or footprints. Remember, it wasn't yet a sealed road des was working on. It was a red dirt sand road, which would leave footprints if someone had just walked off. To see pictures of the area surrounding Deser's disappearance, head to our website. Whereas dez dot com, no tracks and no traces of des were ever found. You can only imagine how Deser's mum and dad would feel once they learned of his disappearance. Both Shirley, DES's younger sister, and Enjoy, his older sister, have different accounts of how they found out their brother was missing.
Speaker 4: I think his name was Colin, a good friend of Deser's. He came around one day. Mum and dad were at the back. Dad was pruning some trees there. He walked in, walked out to Mum and dad, and then the next minute I heard screams and I thought, oh, what's that? So I raced around there. I was only twenty something, and that he told us that Desert God missing, that nobody knew where he was, nobody could find him, and it just crumbled my mum and dad as well. But we couldn't get any answers from and nobody knew anything the main roads department. I mean they looked for him.
Speaker 1: They did.
Speaker 2: That's Shirley's version of how they found out, but over forty years memories fade Joy had a different version of events.
Speaker 6: I think the police came up and told us that he went missing, but I can't really recall because it was about about eleven o'clock at night, I think when they came up and told us. So we just packed up everything then and went straight off to Perth. And we got up there and apparently a mum and dad heard about it. The start off with from a friend of Desert's up there wanting to know if you know they'd heard from Dead because they'd found his greater and that they're still running at the site of where he was working. That's what I understand.
Speaker 2: While researching this story, I was able to obtain an ABC special on missing persons back from nineteen eighty one. In this special, DES's dad, Frank and Dolly talk about Dez and his disappearance.
Speaker 1: He couldn't believe. I think that he was working on a roll and with these infection that he had on his head and with his severe headaches. He was getting given any Andy brydeck for the infection. He got diarrhea about it and what he's continuing out with wall Com. The diarrhea when he got back on his machine grounded the noise and the wrap around the vibrats and things couldn't stand. He got off the machine and went and laid in the bush. Probably would have gone a flat when he woke up, and nobody about. I would probably been just about on dark. And we think, and the doctor's seek in Derby that he could have gone to Nami or lost his temples and he's going out in the road and someone and I think this is what I believe is true, is that someone's picking him. You know. The thing is that has he gone off or has he gone out? We don't, Well, it's not a day Gay's pass and I don't think of him. I often get his faders out and he's not a name that I don't think about.
Speaker 2: Although almost forty years ago. You can hear the hope in Frank and Dolly's voice, hoping that someone knows something, that maybe he just got in someone's car and got a lift somewhere. Maybe he's still out there somewhere living a new life with no real memory of the family and the life he left behind. This hope is something Joy, Frank's daughter, also remembered, and it eventually led to Frank's death.
Speaker 6: Oh horrified. Dad was beside himself and I still reckon that killed Mum and Dad. You know that the shock of it all. Had been up there with Gwynn and they helped in the search, and I think they even went up in the plane to search because the main roads people didn't sort of go looking straight away because his notre of his grader was still running when he went off into the bush, and they just thought he went off into the bush to relieve himself. And they knocked off on the Friday and went back to their huts and things, And when there's hadn't returned, somebody went out looking for him. I gather, but there's no sign of him, but his greater were still there, and I think that's probably when they alerted the police. You know, it was all very suss to start with, we thought, not knowing what was going on, But after its Dad and Gwen came back. We stayed in Perth and Dad was going around everywhere, putting flyers and that around them the different areas if anyone saw him, and then Gwen suggested we bring mom and Dad down here. It's only since Uncle Ron went that I've realized this that we should have left them there to deal.
Speaker 7: With it all.
Speaker 6: Because when we were here, every time our phone rang that Ron was on ambulance call as well as water authority call out. And every time the phone ring, whether it be day or night, Dad would say, I'll answer that. That'll be for me. About dis what is.
Speaker 2: Clear about Dez and his relationship with his family is that he loved them and he missed them. Des wasn't much of a writer, but as part of the search for Dez, the family sent a copy of a letter Des wrote in June nineteen seventy nine. It turns out this was the day of his fight and consequence stayed hospital. This note was given to police in nineteen eighty eight as proof of DES's handwriting by his sister gwen DES's mum Dolly starts reading the letter, Dear.
Speaker 4: Mum and Dad, don't go shop. Well, as I finally got around to writing, how is everyone down that way or keeping okay?
Speaker 3: I hope sorry to hear that you cut the holidays short, but I guess that's the way things turn out. Please excuse the writing paper, but as I have nothing else at the moment, it will have to do. I'm working on the MRD now, not a bad job, but long hours. It's easy enough. I'm the th man. Dad will explain what that means. We're out at Thangu Camp on the Headland to Broom Road and about eighty k's from Broom, so if I stick it out until next Christmas shall definitely be down this year. We're getting some funny weather up here at the moment. Hot one day, cold the next and rain. I see it's been a bit cool down that way too. Well, everybody seems okay up this way, except for a few sniffles, etc. Seeing as how I have a bit of time up my sleeve, shall endeavor to write Timmy's sister too, only short ones, though, like this will be Well, it's Friday now, I'm trying to make my mind up to go to Derby or Broom. I guess it will be Derby. Well, not much else at the moment. I shall try to write more often. So for now that's all, as I've run out of space, excuses excuses. Love Dez.
Speaker 2: As you can tell from the tone of his letter, dares knew that his family missed him, and that he was terrible at keeping in touch with both his mum and dad, but also his three sisters. He talks of heading to Broom or Derby. That Friday night he ended up in Derby, and that's the night he got in a fight, was knocked on the head and ended up in hospital. This eventually could have been the cause of his disappearance. He promises to write more often, and also that he'd be home for Christmas in nineteen seventy nine and to write to his sisters Gwen, Joy and Shirley. They never heard from him or saw him again. Dez was definitely thinking about coming back to be with his family. He'd recently bought a new car and a dog, and already purchased a new set of clothes that he was saving up to wear to see the family At Christmas. The police record and a few coworker interviews at the time state that Dez had some alcohol issues. There were also other interactions with police that Dez had nothing serious, but all involved alcohol, so it would be fair to say that Des liked to drink. DES's drinking is another theory about why he went missing his sister Shirley.
Speaker 4: Unfortunately, he was a heavy drinker and people just thought that he'd just got a bit, maybe got drunk out there and just went for a walk in the bush and got lost. But that proved later on when they did all the searchers that there was no tracks, there was nothing. Someone from upstairs has just plucked enough.
Speaker 2: When a family member goes missing, it's not just the immediate family that's impacted. Susie from Leave a Light on Ink, a Facebook group that helps track down long term missing people across Australia, talks about the effect it has on the whole family for generations to come.
Speaker 7: Well, you can't really grieve, but there's there's nowhere that you can can go to lay flowers or say you're good buyers like your bush. If someone passes away, you can go to the cemetery and you can you can properly grieve and say say you goodbye and come to groups with it and move on in life. Whereas when you've got a missing person your whole life it's like a living nightmare, and you turn out that it's like being in limbos. There's no way of moving on because you don't know whether they're alive, whether they're dead, whether they're okay, whether they've got mental health issues and they need support. It's just so much of the unknowing, and that's what families find so incredibly difficult to deal with.
Speaker 2: With your sisters, Joanne go and missing, how has that affected your life? And then if you have children, your parenting style and their life.
Speaker 7: Well, it affected me great. But I didn't have the independence and freedom that so many other children of my same age growing up with. I couldn't go to friends places, or don't ride my bike down the street, or go and play at the neighbors unless my mum or my brother supervising me. I found it incredibly difficult to go and do anything on my own, and I'm finding that I do the same with my daughter. I worry, you know, if I can't see her with wing the supermarket and you know if she tells me that she'll be a few minutes and she's longer than a few minutes, I instantly start to worry. And it's it's something that it's this instinct you can't help but panic because you think to yourself, is it going to happen all over again? And that's that's the concern, especially with a kidnapping things, But in general, when someone goes missing, it's not just the immediate family, but future generations to come because that person is a part of your family and you talk about them, so the next generation they have questions they want to ask as well, and unfortunately it doesn't stop just for the immediate family.
Speaker 2: In the next episode, you'll hear two other theories of Desert's disappearance. Both are far fetched, both have never been substantiated, and both are theories that some of the family believed for a good portion of time.
Speaker 4: The UFOs that's well that my old sister Gwynn, she believed in that There's was absolutely adamant that this light, no car, no nothing, just this great big light was following him along the road.
Speaker 2: It's true to say, when left with no hope and no answers, you clutch at Anything. Thanks for listening to this episode and supporting this story. Independent storytelling that shapes the world is what podshape really cares about. Right now, There's thousands of people listening to this show and our other true Crimes, and they're completely engaged.
Speaker 5: More than ten.
Speaker 2: Million Australians listen to podcasts each week. If you've ever thought about advertising your business in a podcast, there's a link to reach out in the show notes, or head to podshape dot com to book a free call.