Speaker 1: From the Sky News Center.
Speaker 2: This is Paul Murray Live.
Speaker 1: Thank you Pricey and hey they're sports fans. Great to have your company tonight. James Morrow here filling in for Paul and Pal Murray Live. Got another massive show for you. And along with all the action at the Republican National Convention, I've got some new footage I'm pretty sure you haven't seen yet of Joe Biden. That'll make you wonder why they let him out in front of the cameras at all. And we're gonna have plenty of action right here the man Cave with all your Tuesday Night favorites. Now, let's head to Milwaukee for the Republican National Convention. I mean, hey, that's the only reason to go to Milwaukee anyway, right Sorry, sorry, sorry, I kid. If you're watching this in Milwaukee, please send your complaints to me care of the Australian Broadcasting Corporation Ultimo. So anyway, the RNC. A couple of big things. One, we saw Donald Trump earlier today for the first time since an assassin's bullet miraculously, and I don't use that word lightly clipped only his ear while he was speaking in Pennsylvania over the weekend. But that's not all. We also heard the news, the long awaited news of who Trump's vice presidential pick would be, and that was none other than Ohio Senator J. D.
Speaker 3: Vance.
Speaker 1: Let's have a look at the moment the news hit the floor and Trump walked in with his pick, my.
Speaker 4: Honor to nominate Ohio Senator jd Vance for the office a Vice President of the United States of America.
Speaker 1: Well, let me throw my cards on the table. I think this was a great choice. Look look at the other options he had. Marco Rubio was a tryhard, had heard of Doug Bergham, and Christy Nome had shot a dog, so they're all out. But even beyond this little process of elimination, jd Vance is a spectacular choice. And let me explain why. You see, right now, the normal so called expert political advice for Trump would be telling him that he should have gone for somebody who was a so called moderate, somebody who could broaden the base, somebody who could go out there and reassure nervous suburban voters that Trump is it nuts that the VP will be there to moderate him and the administration. You know, basically, the idea would be that the VP pick would be someone to keep the White House plugged into the blob or the swamp or the deep state, or whatever you want to call that vast freedom killing bureaucracy that Trump has vowed to tear down. But as his his want, Trump went the other way from the experts. And JD. Vance is a serious conservative. He's spoken at National Conservatism conferences. That's, by the way, a movement you are going to hear a lot more about in the coming weeks, trust me, and he has. JD. Vance has an incredible resume that has taken him from a childhood in small, absolutely in a small, absolutely dirt poor town in southern Ohio, to the Marines, to Iraq, to Yale Law School, to venture capital, and then to the Senate. This is the American dream. He wrote a book about it, if they made a movie of two called Hillbilly Elogy. Now politically again. Vance is a conservative, a conservative populist, and a skeptic on the sort of free trade that got in the local economy where he grew up. And he equally detests the sort of neo conservative foreign policy that he saw when he was in Iraq. He signed up, by the way for that after nine to eleven for what was the original so called Forever War. Now for Trump, Strategically picking this guy enables a few things to happen. Number One, it means that Vance can be the attack dog and Trump can run a much more positive campaign. Think John Howard and Peter Costello by the way, in Parliament if you want an Australian analogy there. But number two, it also means that assuming the Trump Dvance ticket gets into office, well, it means that Democrats in Congress, or prosecutors with a grudge or whomever else will be less likely to try and impeach Trump and get him out of office. You see, Vance in the number two seat acts as an insurance policy. If you take down Trump, you'll get the same but worse and in the body of someone who is right now only thirty nine years old. That age, by the way, is fascinating too. I mean, the torch is really passing here and it shows the huge generational difference here. Remember Vance served in the Iraq War. Biden voted for it. Now. Thirdly, this pick gives the Republicans a real narrative of economic opportunity. Again, Vance made it out of a dirt poor former factory town to the heights of American success. The Trump narrative will be, let's make this a country where this is possible again. And all of this now brings us to the other side of the equation, Joe Biden and the Democrats, and of course much of the media, which are now in absolutely full freak out mode. By the way, speaking of the media, I have to show you this fantastic moment from the floor of the convention today. Check out what happened here when some hapless MSNBC correspondent build up young Donald Trump Junior at the convention.
Speaker 3: If the media actually starts being an honest broker talking about the things that he did, the prosperity he brought, the peace deals that he signed around the world, rather than the disaster that we're living right now, I think you do everyone in the country big favor. I know imigrations at Bortan Jim, I covered the family separation crisis closely. When we continue to see policies like separating five thousand children deliberately from their parents, you mean the Obama administration and which you know they didn't do that, sir, Sure will there be a second family separation policy? It's MSDNC, So I expect nothing less from you clowns, even today, even forty eight hours later. You couldn't wait. You couldn't wait with your lives and with your nonsense. So just get out of here.
Speaker 1: And that, my friends, is how it is done. Meanwhile, this is how it's not done. Look, last night, you recall I talked about how the Democrats have a real fundamental problem now in the wake of the attempted assassination of Donald Trump. On the one hand, they say they want to lower the temperature of discourse. We shall be nice and kind, as Joe Biden said from the Oval Office yesterday. On the other hand, if the Democrats and the left really are serious about lowering the temperature, well that means they can't keep calling Trump the second coming of Adolf Hitler, who will end American democracy. Now, this, of course has put the Democrats in a real tight spot, because if it's true that they really believe that Donald Trump, of all people, will suddenly end the two hundred and forty year American experiment in small r republican governance, that all the checks and balances and courts and constraints can be undone by one man. Well, sorry, Democrats, but it doesn't sound like you've got a lot of faith in the American system you claim to treasure and venerate. But meanwhile, if the Democrats have to stop talking now about how Donald Trump is an absolutely existential and presumably must be eliminated threat to American democracy, well then they'll have nothing left to sell to voters. But fear Now, guess what the Great White House brains trust Joe Biden, Kamala Harris Creen, Jean Pierre, the chiefs of staff, all of them. Though they've put on their thinking caps, they've gone into solution mode, and they've come up with this.
Speaker 4: The view is that Trump and the maga Republican agenda is a threat to democracy.
Speaker 5: So how do you get.
Speaker 6: That message across while bringing the temperature down?
Speaker 5: How is that phrasing going to be replaced?
Speaker 7: Is it going to be replaced?
Speaker 6: Well, look, what I can say is this, we have our differences, and it's okay to have our differences, and it is okay to speak to someone's record, to speak to some one's character.
Speaker 1: Well as creag Jean Pierre would say. What I can say is this, it sounds to me like that's code for We're just going to keep calling the other guys fascists because hey, we're the good guys, right, We're Democrats. Now, the Biden White House simply can't be fascists. They'd never put their leader on a blood red set flanked with flags and military people to denounce the opposition is beyond the pale.
Speaker 8: Would they Donald Trump and the Maga Republicans represented extremism that threatens the very foundations of our republic.
Speaker 1: Of course, it would never do anything like that, and that certainly didn't look at all fascist to me really. Anyway, that was just a couple of years ago, and of course the message of the Biden White House is still the same, Joe Biden, the Democrats good Trump and the Republic gets bad. But the messenger, Joe Biden, well, he's a little less slick than he was back then because while the GOP was having its Milwaukee love in Gosh, I guess that's the first time of that phrase has ever been used before. The President was giving an interview to NBC Let's have a look.
Speaker 2: You called your opponent an existential threat on a call a week ago. You said it's time to put Trump in the bullseye. There's some dispute about the context, but I think you appreciated cross here.
Speaker 1: Oh he didn't say cross hair, so okay, much better that. Joe Biden was also asked if he'd spoken to Kimberly Cheatle, the director of the Secret Service, and he appeared to not know that she.
Speaker 4: Is a she.
Speaker 2: Is it acceptable you have still not heard, at least publicly from the.
Speaker 8: Secret Service director.
Speaker 2: I've heard, John, Have you heard from her publicly?
Speaker 8: Public Crafts sat down in a situation downstairs.
Speaker 1: I've heard from him. He said, Well, you know, I got to say, this is a common problem for Democrats these days, not knowing what is a woman I suppose, And then there was.
Speaker 2: This traumas said, he's giving you a chance to redeem yourself, basically the idea of engaging in another debate.
Speaker 9: We're gonna have another debate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're gonna have one in September. That's on the books. Would you be open to doing one in the next few weeks.
Speaker 8: I'm going to debate him when we agreed to debate, and I'm going to rebate him in September.
Speaker 2: But if if the opportunity came up to do one between now and then, is there is there a sense of wanting to get back on the horse.
Speaker 8: I'm on the horse. Where are you, man? I've done twenty two major events and thousands of people, overwhelming crowds, a lot happening. I'm on the horse. What I'm doing is going out and demonstrating Hmerican people that I've command of all my faculties, that I don't need notes, I don't need telephone. I can go out and answer any questions at all.
Speaker 1: As Bart Simpson might say, yes, Joe, overwhelming crowds in your mind, Look when you're explaining you're losing, and when you're having to explain to the American people that as president you really are still compassmentis and up to the job. Well, forgive me for saying this, but just maybe you aren't. Now anyway, let's bring in Scott News senior political reporter Trudy McIntosh, who joins us direct from Washington, d C. Trudy, good evening to you. Thank you so much for coming on Paul Murray Live tonight now from Washington. All the Republicans are in Milwaukee. I guess the Democrats are still in DC. What has been the reaction to Trump's selection of JD. Vance as running mate.
Speaker 7: Jdvan's a fascinating pick here, I think emblematic though of the modern Republican story, the fact that he was never Trumper back in twenty sixteen, goes on to become Donald Trump's running mate this time around. We're already seeing these clips James running on repeat on morning television here in America of what he said about Donald Trump back in twenty sixteen, that he like in Donald Trump to Hitler, that he even mused at one point about potentially voting for Hillary Clinton in twenty sixteen. Ultimately, though Republicans don't believe this is going to hurt JD.
Speaker 9: Vance.
Speaker 7: He's had a real transformation since that point. What we've seen many Republicans do. Donald Trump is now the Republican Party, and JD. Bans is a fully signed up member to that, a part of the Mega Mega brand. I should say, Donald Trump's eldest sons apparently quite instrumental in convincing their father to pick JD. Vance for this spot on the ticket. I think fascinating as you were saying, James, that they didn't Donald Trump didn't feel the need to go with essentially like a token pick. A token woman to try and win over the woman vote an African American candidate either, to try and shore up that support. He feels pretty assured in his own position, picking JD Vans as a result.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I mean this is an interesting point do you make that they're trying to push this idea that well, he used to be against Trump and now he's for Trump to the point where he's his VP pick. But you know, if all of the voters that are up for grabs right now are the swing voters, the Republicans are all locked in hard behind Trump. I mean, you're kind of saying to a swing voter, what you're not allowed to change your mind.
Speaker 7: Exactly. And also that's the very point of what Republicans are trying to do here, flip people who voted for Joe Biden last time, convince them that to vote for Donald Trump this time around. I do think there's actually some benefit in picking someone who hasn't always been on board with Donald Trump, and there's so many Republicans who've changed their mind on him. Think of Nicki Hayley. She fought against him in the campaign primaries for some time. She's now going to be invited to speak today in Milwaukee at the R and C Convention. So even some of the biggest Trump haters can have a change of heart.
Speaker 1: Now. Truly, Washington, DC is about as democrat as town as you can get. But is there any sense that this assassination attempt on the weekend has started to change anybody in that sort of area's mind. Are you seeing anybody start to speak more positively about Trump? What's the mood on the streets of America right now?
Speaker 7: Well, I think there's obviously a lot of sympathy for what was an incredibly shocking event to play out on live television, the fact that Donald Trump was only one slight head tilt away from being killed on the spot there at that rally in Pennsylvania. Initially we saw Democrats, you know, talking about turning the temperature down, and we need to elevate the debate and ensure there's unity. I'm listening to Democrats this morning, though they say it's still fine to call out what Trump has done, It's still fine to call him a threat to democracy. So I think some of that initial toning down one of the rhetoric will quickly evaporate as we get closer to November, and.
Speaker 1: There's been some talk in some media out let's that the Democrats are basically despairing right now, that they think they're absolutely going to hit the wall when it comes election time in November on November five. Are you picking up any of that sense or do Democrats still have some fight in them? Well?
Speaker 7: I think they've got to try and fight to the end, don't they. They can't give up. And Joe Biden certainly isn't giving up. He's back on the campaign trail proper today. He's in Nevada. But that whole conversation that had dominated for that Fortnight since the disaster risk debate has shifted for Joe Biden. That's a good thing, he says, here's one thousand percent committed to remaining in the race. But there's still clearly issues with Joe Biden's fitness for office, and Democrats haven't privately changed their mind about them that but the fact we have not seen people publicly call for it. I also note this morning Democrats are trying to speed up this virtual role call process ahead of their convention in five weeks. The New York Times reporting they want that done in the fort By doing that and locking it in. It makes it so much harder for Joe Biden to not be the candidate. It seems like that's where we're heading, with Joe Biden essentially trying to run down the clock here to ensure that he can remain on the top of the ticket.
Speaker 1: Well, Truy macint Senior political reporter, I don't know who would want to replace Joe Biden at this point. It seems like a poisoned chalice. Thank you so much for your time. Now I want to bring in our panel tonight. I'm joined here by Sky News contributor Joe Hildebrand and child and adolescent psychologist Claire Row. Guys, thank you so much. Wow, boy, what are we going to talk about? There's been so little news in the last two days. You know, it's like, yo, gosh, Joe, surely there's a work council we could talk about or something like that.
Speaker 10: That's right, Yeah, don't worries accountable band Christmas holidays, but yeah, it's it's it's extraordinary scenes. I think I'm not sure what your correspondent said, but we are now getting to the point where Joe Biden, having refused to take one for the team, a week ago has now been put in the position of forcibly taking one for the team, namely to go and basically get pummeled. He's just he's basically now just an electoral punching bag, and his service to the Democrats and the community will be to go out there and lose so that whoever is the next hope of the Democrats doesn't get handed to hospital pass and become spoiled goods. And as to the JD Vance, where's the Democrats? JD Vance? You know, where is you know? Is it beto ' rourke or is it you know, like, why have the Democrats.
Speaker 1: Not Beato Rourke?
Speaker 9: I'm sorry, that's not a bad.
Speaker 10: Peat, you know. And again I'm not sure for America. I'm not sure Republicans voters or swinging voters in the Midwest are prepared to swing behind a gay president. But Pete Butter.
Speaker 1: I don't think the problem of Joe with Pete butdhaj Edge is that he's gay. I think the problem with Pete butdhaj Jedge is that he's done such a lousy job as Secretary of transportee that Americans know who the Secretary of Transportation is. But Claire you.
Speaker 11: Could have the best candidate there and you could tap them on the shoulder now and I would say absolutely, that's right.
Speaker 9: Kamala Harris, No, why not, Michelle? Which are you thinking? I've got to I.
Speaker 1: Think the I think the analogy is here. This is the fort sensible candidate and they're just sending him out to be sensible. But the yes. But Claire, I want to ask you, though, this is a really interesting thing because JD. Evance is thirty nine years old, so you know in.
Speaker 11: Terms of there you go, so don't.
Speaker 9: Look anywhere near as good as you.
Speaker 1: And so so with that well as a thirty nine year old yourself, and you can tell us about this, what is the this sort of psychology of younger voters? Do you think that this is now one of these moments, because if you look at it, Kamala Harris fifty nine, Donald Trump seventy eight or seventy nine, Joe Biden a very old eighty one, and I mean that's an eighty one that he's feeling every single one of those years. Where do you think this goes here? Do you think the Republicans have got a first mover advantage on younger voters even though younger voters may theoretically be more left wing with that, they're going to say, you know what, these guys, they're kind of representing us. We see one of our people up there now.
Speaker 11: Absolutely, I think it was an ingenious choice. I think Trump is a storyteller. And what a story. I mean, this is like a Rags to Rich's American playbook story. And he's got everything going for him. He's young, he's energetic, he's enthusiastic, he's in stark contrast contrast to obviously Biden Harris. And I think he's got the you know, given the marine connection and the service, he's got the veteran connection. I think, as you said before the fact that he didn't endorse in twenty sixteen, they can use he's extremely articulate and if you can articulate that to that Middle America to say, you know, I didn't like Trump either, come with me. I changed my mind. I think it's, you know, an ingenious, bold choice, but a very good one by Trump.
Speaker 1: And the thing is Joe too, jd Vance is really he's a you know, he's was a long very active Twitter now ex user of he is really current with a lot of these sort of new and interesting streams and conservative thought national conservatism, which I mentioned before in my editorial, Does this represent kind of a new evolution of conservative and Republican thought beyond because there have been this sort of tension between the neo Khans and the Libertarians and these different groups, it feels to me like there's something new coming through.
Speaker 10: I completely agree with you, and I think the thing that strikes me most about Jada Vance is that he is someone who I think has been appalled by the snobbery and elitism that has overtaken the left in the West. And he's comes from a very working class background but went to got to an Ivy League university.
Speaker 9: He would have experienced firsthand just how up their own they are. Obviously work in business as well.
Speaker 10: He's got written a book, and it reminds me a lot of myself, quite frankly. I mean, I grew up and Dan and you know, but you do.
Speaker 9: You're right, and that's right.
Speaker 10: And I was a very active Twitter user and no longer. And I think that what I think turned him into a Republican and Republican candidate is the same thing that I think so many people I know on the left mostly privately occasionally probably find just so satisfying about Donald Trump, which is not that we like what he stands for, whether we agree with all the he's done or even his policies necessarily, but he's just sticking it to these uptight, horrendous snobs on MSNBC or the like who have have become this new upper middle class tertiary assuate left who looked down on anyone who doesn't agree with their urbane Will.
Speaker 1: Well, I want to talk about that because you know, we see this shift in the Labor Party, and I think we all know the Labor Party has a big problem with this, and we're seeing this shift in America. I thought one of the most fascinating speeches today was given by the head of the Teamsters union, Sean O'Brien. Let's have a little bit of a look at what he had to say.
Speaker 4: At the end of the day, the Teamsters are not interested. If you have a d R or an I next to your name, we want to know one thing, what are you doing to help American workers? A fired worker cannot afford corporate delays, and these greedy employers know it. There are no consequences for the company, only the worker.
Speaker 1: Now, when I was a kid, the Teamsters I think endorsed Roald Reagan. There was and there was Jimmy Hoffer. And we never did find out in the speech, by the way, what end zone goalposts. Jimmy Hoffer didn't wind up underneath. But you know they will find a little later the campaign. But Joe hildemand I want to stick with you for on a moment with this. You know, it seems like with the Republicans and the Democrats in the US, and frankly with labor in name only in Australia versus the Liberals, the Party of Capital has now moved to be the party of the left, and it's now the sort of the center right party that's actually representing or seems to care more about people who are working.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 10: Look, I obviously have been very outspoken in trying to about the need for labor to come back to the center, to be focused wholly on working families, to leave all that stupid identity politics and culture or crap at the front door. Others have also been really active about it. I know people inside the party have been just gunning this like there is no tomorrow. Chris Means is a fantastic example in terms of the sort of front of house, but also people behind the scenes. I actually think Albo has done I know a lot of people won't agree, but who watch the show, but I think Albo has done a pretty good job of dragging the party back. He's ditched a lot of the class war policies, the class war rhetoric, and that space is now being well and truly marked out and occupied by the Greens. So the grains pretending, you know, the Greens are kind of half like sort of you know, rah rah, radical revolution. But they're also the tertiary educated, affluent, upper middle class lefties that I was talking about before, and the seats, their seats reflect that.
Speaker 9: And and this is the.
Speaker 1: Thing though, so Claire, I mean, like this is a really interesting thing, is that in our lifetimes, in our lifetimes, we have seen this shift and basically this reversal of the polls from right to left, and the you know, all of the left wing voters, you know, have a ton of money, and people who vote conservative are considered to be uneducated, maybe a little slow whatever. All the insults that we get that I get that, you know, people out there are here and they're nonsense, so complete nonsense. But that snobbery, that elite snobbery, has moved from right to left. What do you think you couch that?
Speaker 11: Yeah, well, I think at the end of the day, you know, labor is not the old labor that used to represent the working class, and this march towards collecting working class seats just like the Republican movement. He is the same as here. One of the biggest issues I think with it is that the left doesn't understand why they don't get it. They look at Trump's campaign and they look at the movement as I think a lot of the left do here, and they really just don't understand and don't get what the issue is. And they keep driving with the same policies and the same movement, and they keep getting the same result. But you're right, it's a complete reversal now. And so the inner city kind of elite Champagne socialists are all gone left, and who are the working class and the outer suburbs left to support them?
Speaker 10: Right, Because if you have, if you have a political class that comes from that same terse, you educated upper middle class elite.
Speaker 9: Quite frankly, they've just never met these people. It's like rightful matter.
Speaker 10: Oh no, no, I mean she's never met at Trump supporter, let alone understood one like you.
Speaker 9: Just unless you.
Speaker 1: Live on the work they've they've come to, you know, fix the pool or you know, electricians.
Speaker 9: Them from across the bridge of them, and.
Speaker 1: They don't and they don't understand. Well, I don't understand how they can. They can't bring all of their tools to the job.
Speaker 10: And if you look at the if you look at the good labor guys, the labor right guys who are out there in Western City, they live with these people, they know them, they represent them. These are good people, and you'll notice that they're the ones who are doing you know, the most sensible someone like Jason Clair for example. But again they're the ones who are being attacked by the Muslim voice, the Muslim teals. Now, so again you have all these kind of elite either single issue or you know, and again the teals. What the teals are doing to liberals is moving the liberals to the working class, and they are appealing to those vites. I think Peter Dutton is now ahead in the blue Columndell.
Speaker 1: Let's let's talk about that here, because we have some Port News here. More bad news for the Labor government in the City Morning Herald today with the latest resolved political monitor pool showing that the Coalition has increased its lead in the primary vote to thirty eight percent. Labor is still stagnating at twenty eight percent. Now, everybody I talk to is saying that the cost of living is the number one thing, the number one thing. I mean, Claire, let's go to you on this yere, because it is this cost of living, the cost of putting food on the table, the kids and all of that. It seems to me, and I think a lot of people out there, Labor doesn't seem to get it. They don't seem to understand it. Then they don't seem to understand that shoveling all of this money into the economy is only going to make things worse.
Speaker 11: Yeah, at the end of the day that this research or this poll now has said that over fifty percent of people will be voting on the cost of living issue. Now, I don't think I always wondered or I always doubted that people would warm to Dutton as a person, and I don't think necessarily they are warming to him as a person. I think This is far more about what our Bo's not doing for them than necessarily a massive enthusiastic endorsement of Dutch himself. But when you can't put food on the table and you can't pay your rent at the end of the day, they're going to say, we just need to change. And that's that's the movement that will happen. They'll just say, we just need a change. We can't look ahead with economic doom for the next couple of years. We can't see where this is going, and economic JOm psychologically is just disastrous that will go through nationally and the movement will be just to switch to see if someone else can do better.
Speaker 1: And I mean, Joe, this is the thing that you know, you look at these numbers here and you think, well, after the voice, which was the big idea that Elbow had, it really feels like Labor kind of said, well, all right, the voice did it work? What else have we got? And it's like, oh, well, let's just chuck a bunch of money around and hope that someone sticks and hope that this is okay.
Speaker 10: But I mean, really like, well, I suppose what it's done is, you know, just get rid of that big picture, you know, the vision thing, and just work on nuts and bolt stuff. And I have done some good stuff and it diditiness, health and education and housing in the territory. And then in terms of the cost of living stuff. You know, look, they've done the tax cuts, you know, minimum wages have increased, They've done the three hundred power bill. Now again, that does run the risk of being inflationary, and I would have.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, Joe Jojo, I got to stop in it. Three hundred bucks on your power bill? How much has your power bill gone up in the last two years?
Speaker 9: I shut it to think.
Speaker 10: But the point being, it's three hundred dollars better than it would have been.
Speaker 9: It means that, you know, it would have been.
Speaker 1: Better if they weren't shoveling all of this money into making power extension renewables.
Speaker 11: Individually, it's not going to do anything, but on a national level of inflation, it's going to push inflation up. And that's the problem. And whether people see that and say, oh, that's great, thank you, I mean, I do think that people want a magic want and I do think that they just want the problem fixed.
Speaker 10: And that's right, and often the left thing they can do that, which is why the Greens say things like, oh, we'll just make it illegal for landlords to raise the rent and this will fix the rental crisis.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 10: So there is a tendency on the left to think that you know, you can you know, I think rich I have this great line about GoF Whitlam's frustration when the economy wouldn't do what he told it to.
Speaker 9: I think there is there is a bit of a problem there.
Speaker 10: And you don't understand what poor keating cause the sort of animal forces. You don't have that instinct as to how you can nudge.
Speaker 1: All those animal forces clear. You You know, you're a psychologist, your child an adolescent psychologist. But you would see a lot of families and so on in your work, just in very broad terms, what is the mood of the community that you were picking up through your practice? Are people nervous tents to present?
Speaker 11: I was gonna say, panicking, panicking? Panicking? I think that there are one rate rise away from really thinking we need to sell the family home, we need to move. In my experience, the families I'm seeing in middle class Australia are quitting extracurricular activities for kids. These are school holidays. At the moment, they're not going to the movies, they're not doing things. They're trying to stay at home, so they are tightening their belts. But that's what we what's what we need to happen, that's what the RBA.
Speaker 9: Wants to happen.
Speaker 11: And it's that tension between I mean, I think interest rates are probably still too low. I think we should have, you know, got a bit harder earlier and squashed this. But it's that tension between that versus the stimulus that Albany is trying to trying to put in there to make us all feel a bit better that he's listening, and that tensions there. But generally, speaking with families, I think it's panic. I think they're okay now, just but I don't think it could survive if it got any worse.
Speaker 10: I guess yeah, I'm like, I'm incredibly anxious about it, and I'm my income would be in the top, you know, three percent or something like that, and so you know, I just think, holy crap. You know, I remember what it's like being poor, with like like a stone in my stomach. I do not want to go back there. And again, to your point, about the demonization of Peter Dutton. This is I'll do a Simpson's reference for you. I think when Selma has to take Bart and Lisa to Krusty World, yes, and Marge, as you sure you won't mind going with Aunt Selma and Bart, Simpsons said to get to Crusty.
Speaker 9: World, ride with Satan himself. And this is why the left get it started.
Speaker 10: Wrong when I think that by demonizing someone like Peter Dotton, lie that Deamon is Donald Trump, the electric's gonna go. The electric doesn't height the electric. If anything, he told politicians equally thinks they're all live.
Speaker 1: So what you're saying, Joe Hildred, you're saying that Peter Dunton is at Selma. Yes, okay, well you'll be so So that's so that's a rit of defamation coming tomorrow for you, not for me anyway, Thank you so much. Stick with us. Joe and Claire are gonna be back with us the next bit of the show, So don't go anywhere. A lot more to go into, particularly this whole idea. Do the Greens think they're gonna be the new Labor Party? I'd love to see that stick around. Paulburray Live after the break, Welcome back to the program. James Morrow here sitting in for Paul Murray live tonight. Got a great panel here on the set. Here, political commentator, Daily Telegraph columnist Mad about Town, Jack of All Pray Joe hilde Ran. Now I think we say I'm sorry, Joe, this is twenty twenty four. We say media sets worker, now, thank you very much. And child adolescent psychologist Claire Rowe. Now, let's keep talking about domestic politics here. I absolutely laughed when I saw this story. I felt like, I don't know why they were running it. I kind of felt he was free publicity for the Greens. But Green's leader Adam Bant has given a bizarre interview to The Australian, essentially declaring himself king of the Left. I've got a sort of Peter Griffin, sort of even my had here with a big sort of sheath across him. As if that's not a saun after title. He's described Labor as a sent to right party and has promised to replace him as the country's only social democratic alternative. Now, Joe, I mean, it sounds on one level like he's being sort of threatening, but on another level, let's be really contentious here. Let's play with an idea that we were just talking about. Is there something you the idea that labor is actually really is now? Is set right?
Speaker 10: Ye?
Speaker 1: Sorry, that's represented, big buddy, upper middle class certainly. Dare I even say, dare I even say the illiberal.
Speaker 10: Interests I've read that? I thought, thank you, Adam Band. My work here has done no what I want labor to be and what it should be, and what I think they're trying to is the party of mainstream working Australia. It has sensible mainstream values, it's tolerant of people of religion, and it represents hard working people, people who are actually struggling to make ends meet, rather than appealing to the whims and whimsies of upper middle class indulgent Marxists and virtue signaling identity politarians like the Greens, for example. So the problem is the noisy Left, as we have said before, have become that, and these the Twitter left, if you want to call them that, the inner city left, the sort of people who are having their vigils at Sydney University, the sort of people, quite frankly, who even get to Sydney University. I was one of them when I was at Melbourne University. I know how odious we are. I'm glad we grew.
Speaker 9: I grew out of it. Adam bat This is not new.
Speaker 10: This is not just him getting drunk and calling the Australian and saying, boy, I've got an excluss for you. This is very much part of their plan. They've been saying it for a long long time. It is, potentially, if labor is not smart, an existential threat to labor, as much as the teals are an existential threat to the coalition.
Speaker 9: What it means, however, is it could if played right, it is doing labor of favor.
Speaker 10: In other words, it is carving out all those really annoying greenies, the extinction rebellion mob. If once they win those seats and start to sandbag those seats, labor doesn't have to worry about them anymore, which means that labor can shift to the right on social issues, on economic issues or whatever and focus more.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, fine, that's all very good, just to me so that that labors will do it, you know, great stuff, and you know, rah rah labor. It is it labor wonderful, you know. But let's put but clear. I mean, let's let's go back to the real fundamental question here, which is the Greeds, you know, and the idea of them being a mainstream party. Now don't have their platform in front of me, but I think an awful lot of things that they tend to stand for. You know, well, let's just say pro Palastinian, but that's a kind of a very nice code word for saying like, you know, this whole sort of weird queers or Palestine. Hey, isn't hamas wonderful kind of thing? You know, all sorts of other crazy loopy things, you know, all of the energy stuff, all of the transport stuff, all of the all of the you know, stuff that I would think would concern an awful lot of our viewers tonight, and probably a lot of your page drug legalizing, you know, all drugs, all of that stuff. About the only thing the Greens seem to stand for that would be of benefit to up middle class folk like yourself would be, Hey, we're going to ban any development near anybody in any sort of you know, nice inner West sort of neighborhood of Claire Row. Obviously, this sort of stuff, I mean, this kind of really be serious that's delusional.
Speaker 11: I mean, it's completely delusional that they are sent left party in it their center left, who's hard left? I mean, doesn't get worse than that. I'm not sure, but I mean I think that the only people who think that they're center left, there's a small pocket of elite kind of inner city people. And from what I see, unfortunately and dangerously sorry and from what I see it dangerously, it's a lot of young people. When I talk to a lot of young people, they think that the Greens are very sensible. And I think that is this because they don't have any lived experience, or they don't have any knowledge thinks about education system of hard socialist regimes, or is it just because I think Adam Bann comes out with these really lofty statements that sound really, as a twenty year old, really lovely.
Speaker 9: So r if you don't know.
Speaker 10: How the economy works, you don't know that forcing you know, landlords to not put up that's wrap is not going to have a terrible impact on housing supply.
Speaker 9: Courts say oh yeah, no, they should just make my landlord not.
Speaker 11: Yeah, so I think that that will be their base.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I mean that's it was like all these kids that haven't got paycheck yet and has seen you know, all those big lines where they take out all of the texts. Hey Claire, well I got you here. I want to talk to you about another yet another one of these social media articles. Another article in the Telegraph today talking about raising the minimum age limit for social media to stop kids, in this case, developing anxiety. Now, I'm a lot older than sixteen and know that you can get a fair bit of anxiety just by hanging out on the phone. Claire, talk to us a bit more about this, especially though, like I remember being a kid and being a kid, you know where I grew up. Drinking age was twenty one, and guess what, we still kind of managed a way around it. How do you actually propose, how do they actually propose to you? That is it realistic? And my concern is that all of these sort of limits are giving the parents an easy way out.
Speaker 11: Well, it's giving parents permission and confidence to say no, you can't have it. And that's why I've come around to supporting it. I didn't use to because I don't think government should be our our lives and telling us how to parent. But now I think it's that disastrous that parents aren't taking their responsibility. Kids will get around it. Some kids will still have social media at twelve thirteen, but there will be a group of kids there in the classroom who don't because mum and dad can say it's against the law. I actually would go further and say it's just smartphones under sixteen, but I'm like really harsh, so I would actually say it's like carrying around the Internet in your pocket under sixteen.
Speaker 1: No, go yeah, real quick, your parent, what do you think?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 9: Any chance, any chance? Any excuse?
Speaker 10: I just if I run out of all other ideas, I just tell my kids, I'm calling the police and they're going to come around and arrest them.
Speaker 9: You're going to jail.
Speaker 10: And that's the only thing that actually makes them do what they're told. So if you can say I've got the law on your side, fantastic.
Speaker 1: I like it. Everybody out there. Parenting advice from Jill Hildebrand terrify your kids. We have not got the society, we have not got the endorsement from the child psychologist here. But we'll maybe talk about that some other time. Now, don't go anywhere, because next up, well, maybe saying nothing is better than seeing anything at all. As MSNBC's anti Trump morning show has been pulled off the air. Can you feel the winning? Are you tired of winning yet? After the break? Welcome back to Paul Murray Live. James Borrow here for the week, sitting in for Paul. Now let's get the debate going again. Joining me now is Victorian Libertarian Party MP David Limbrick and media writer for The Australian Sophie Ellsworth. Guys, thanks so much for coming on tonight, so much talking about Sophie. I want to talk to you about this first story here because I reckon this is such a fascinating media story. Now, there's a show in the United States. It's on MSNBC. Apparently it's the Biden Whitehouse's favorite show. It's called Morning Joe. It's hosted by Joe Scarborough and they go on with some of the wackiest, hardest left talking points. It's basically like the hard left talking point the day go out through this show. They've pulled it off the air now in the wake of the Donald Trump assassination attempt, and I am fascinated by this that the executives at MSNBC did not trust their host or their guests not to say something really classless and in bad taste. Is that an indicator of where the left media is in America right now?
Speaker 5: Well, James, you know this better than anyone who consumes this American news and politics more than most of us. But this is a real concern that one of their major news networks does not trust their own people in the wake of this assassination attack on Donald Trump, an attempt to assassinate him. This is just unbelievable that the biggest event of this year in US politics, I would argue, I think many would say that is the case that this show doesn't have the faith in their hosts and they guess to speak fairly diplomatically, respectfully about Donald Trump. And I think that's a very sad state of affairs for our media landscape when it stoops to this level that we can't even get people on air because we're worried what they will say.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now, David, I want to continue on this theme here, because of course, we did see that very scary attempt to murder the presidential candidate, Donald Trump and potential future president and really changed the course of American and world history. There's a lot of concern in Australia too, that MPs might be under threat. Now we had Anthony Albanisi speak I think pretty eloquently the other day about the way Australia is. We don't have those security bubbles. But there's also been calls for a review into the security arrangements for MPs. As an MP, yourself, state MP, do you feel like you're under threat? Do you feel like you need more security? Do you think that we've got it right? What are your thoughts?
Speaker 12: Well, look, I mean, you know, I don't personally feel under threat because everyone likes libertarians. But what's been happening with this, the way that moral posturing from the left primarily has been happening. Everything is an existential threat. So if you think about global warming, you know, if we don't do it, they say everyone's going to die. If we think about Palestine, if you don't agree with them, we're going to be committing genocide. If you think about you know, all of these other issues, if you don't agree with it, then the world's going to end. It's only a matter of time before someone does the moral calculations on that and thinks that violence is the answer. Violence isn't the answer, and we need to pull back on this stuff and say, hang on, the world isn't going to end, and maybe we need to be more considered about these things.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Look, I get your points there about the world panic, and we do live in an age when everything gets taken up to eleven on a moral panic level. But Sylvie Ellsworth, though these security arrangements apparently they have not been really reviewed since the nineteen seventies. Is there any harm and at least looking and saying, you know, have we got the settings right? They haven't been changed in forty or fifty years.
Speaker 5: Well, I think so, James. I don't see what harm it can cause. I mean, in politics here and overseas, we've seen some very serious threats. Obviously with the US president that was shocking situation. Sorry, the former US president Donald Trump, that was a shocking situation. We saw a tax here on our MP's offices, including my local MP, Labor MP Jewish Man Josh Burns, which was shocking. You know, I'll drive past his office most days and it's all boarded up. You can't even see his office now, it's behind boards. I mean, that's how grimid he is here. In Melbourne. So I really don't see what harm it can be to review these type of arrangements. But as David said, I mean he's a politician himself, he doesn't personally feel threatened, but I think there may be some politicians out there who do feel threatened, and that's a very serious situation that we should take steps to try and rectify.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, that's exactly right, and it is interesting where some of those threats come. But you know, other issues too occupying us. And one other thing that keeps coming up is the cost of living in inflation. My paper, the Daily Telegraph has had a new report here which has found that the basic cost of groceries, so not the inflation rate, the official inflation rate, but the basic cost of groceries has served by more than fourteen percent since last year, Sophie. This means that most Australia's supermarke runs have gone up by about a third since the year before that. Olive oil, for example seven ninety nine last May now fourteen dollars. Who on Earth can for the stuff? Solfy.
Speaker 5: Well, it's really hard, James. As we all know, the cost of living pressures are real. We've all feeled them. Everyone who goes into the supermarket has noticed. I doubt they'd be a single person in this country who hasn't noticed that prices are going up. And I think people just have to be really cautious of what they are throwing in their trolleys, paying attention to prices, reading things really basic stuff, but the unit pricing costs, and looking at no name labels.
Speaker 11: But sure, we just have to really watch our.
Speaker 5: Pennies because everything is going up, and it seems that some of these things are going up far too quickly.
Speaker 1: They are going up far too quickly. But David Librick, you know you just said before, you're a libertarian, so you've got a very specific economic agenda. What should be being done from that point of view to bring down the ridiculous cost of getting a sack of groceries home.
Speaker 12: I think that many people point the finger at supermarkets because that's the interface where most people you see prices. But I think it's wrong to point the finger at the end thing in the price chain. My understanding was, last time I looked at Woolworth's net profit margins are about two and a half percent. GST alone is ten percent on top of that, you've got diesel xise, you've got payroll tax, you've got land tax, you've got stamp duty, and then you've got the government borrowing, printing and pumping cracklads of money into the economy. We're going to have to lich is causing inflation.
Speaker 1: So cut taxes, cut spending, cut pumping money into the economy. I think that's what you're saying there. Thanks so much Sophie Ellsworth, David Librick for your time. Really appreciate here on Palmary Live. Now, don't go anywhere. The Late Debate is next and I'll see you tomorrow night. James Borrow here hosting for Palmary Live.