Speaker 1: Hello, I'm welcome the Daily Telegraph and a podcast on bent Re joined by Pem Wiley. Forgot my name? Then the team we could do. It's Origin week. It's an exciting time. Interstate rivalry is alive and well, how are you feeling? You're both in yourselves Welsh people, so you'd be quite nervous, i'd imagine nervous about what about losing?
Speaker 2: Obviously, why would we lose? I think there's a I think there's a freshness about this new South Wales Blues team, and I know there was a bit of conjecture about you know, obviously we'll go through the Teddy Edwards stuff, but the makeup of the bench and the rest of it. But I like what matches put together and we get Teddy backs, so you know, even after losing, Dylan Edwards, arguably the best fullback of his generation comes in. So I don't know, there's not no reason to be about you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, no, no, no, I look nervous. No no, no, no, I'm all good. No. After spending a little bit of time in camp with the Blues over the weekend, I did, yeah, cold freezing, but it was like where they were staying was beautiful. It was. They just kind of had no distractions, No one was really bothering them. They were just the way he likes it. So it was, yeah, it was great. They were Yeah, they just looked nice and relaxed and really got to bond together.
Speaker 2: Don't This is about the time that all these illnesses and injury scared.
Speaker 1: Or something.
Speaker 2: That was nice and earlier.
Speaker 1: That that shows you how confidence Billy is because we haven't had any late injury scares or frightening moments. But the News of the week spent obviously James, Dylan Edwards James to Desco Sagi. Obviously Teddy. I think he played twenty two Origin games in a row something, captain of this news, Captain of Australia Madge drops him last week and then he comes Dlan Edwards and then sadly for Dylan he gets ruled out with the quote problem. So Teddy was the obvious guy to bring in, right, But devastated for Dylan Edwards because he's been knocking on the door for three four years now. In form fullback argument in the camp, well reswols Calen I suppose.
Speaker 2: Three time premiership winner, So yeah, I mean it was tough for him though, absolutely tough for him, you know, and for somebody who has been as successful in clubland as Dylan Edwards. If it wasn't for Teddy, he'd be the first picked in that number one jumper. Oh, I don't know, maybe Tommy tom oh. Yeah, But I just feel like for origin, like I always when you watched him in Edwards play and the effort he puts in and just his support play. He's also I mean, it doesn't really matter now because neither of them are playing, but I felt in the past that while Nathan Cleary was there, if they had Dylan Edwards at the back, that would really unlock Nathan Cleary our origin level. But anyway, so yeah, I mean unfortunate. And he's one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. So he gets his opportunity in such controversial circumstances and he would have hated that, right because he doesn't love doing media. You know, that first day he comes into camp, everyone's in his face, it's a bit full on, and he just you know, he took it in his stride and he said all the right things about coming in, you know, over Teddy. But these things happen, right, and just the timing of it is. You know, they're saying it's not that serious, but it's just the kind of injury that you can't risk taking into origin because if you lose him in the fight in the first five or ten minutes and you've got problems.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you've been around the camp. You were there when Dylan was well, when he was in camp, and then obviously out What did you make of what happened over the weekend.
Speaker 3: It was a really weird one because on that the training session on Saturday, so it was their first a posted session of the week and it was against you know, Panthers, SG ball players and just you know, random players throughout their pathway system. And everyone was looking at Nico. How's Nico? And you know, how's he going to go with?
Speaker 1: Get thrown out of the session?
Speaker 3: Watch the whole thing thrown out? Yeah, yeah, the days are gone. No, So you watch the warm up, so everyone's you know, looking at Nico. You know, how does he look. He looks like he's running pretty good. So I felt, you know, pretty confident after that Nico is going to be fine. And then yeah, we write all our stories, we get thrown out, then we go to a cafe, we write all our stories and then maybe half an hour later we get the call about Dylan Edwards and so yeah, it was just a very crazy couple of hours there. But yeah, it's just, yeah, you feel really sad for him because this was his chance. He's waited so long for it, and now the question kind of comes you know, what happens if Teddy kills it.
Speaker 1: It's funny back in the good old those we stayed for the entire well, this is the first year year we haven't stay the entire training session and you would have seen all this unfolded year ago, would have we would have the cat phones that last.
Speaker 2: Sort of lived off. So in the past, you know, they would make us turn our cameras off after that first sort of allowed period. But name one was kicking you off watching.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, but now even at New Southwald Center of Excellence, now have you seen all the fences. They've blacked it all out, so all the fences have got all of so when you're standing on the field on the inside, it's all pictures of you know, New South Wales origin moments and things like that. From the outside, you can't see in and.
Speaker 1: It's just a peak.
Speaker 2: Yeah, is it really?
Speaker 3: Imagine just when was the twenty fourteen Grand finally did that to the redfern oval the fences, So yeah, it's yeah, it's definitely a bit of a change with how much access we have, for sure, but yeah for drama still.
Speaker 1: He raise a good point. If Teddy comes in and brains it, just say new Sowell's win. Teddy comes in, wins me on the match? What's he do?
Speaker 2: Well? He keeps him, keeps him, of course, he keeps him. I mean the thing with Tedesco is he's never let anybody down every time he's been in a Blues Jersey. And there's a very good chance he comes out and he is the best player for the Blues on Wednesday Night. Now he's done it before. He thrives in in that arena, and if the Blues win with him full back, then yeah, you know. I mean they're saying Dylan Edwards might be out for one or two weeks, but even then, by the time they announced the next team, he probably hasn't played any football, so they potentially take him in again without knowing you know, there'll be an injury cloud over him. But yeah, I mean, what who would you would you not? Would you bring Edwards back?
Speaker 1: Or what do you reckon?
Speaker 3: I don't know. It's it's a tough one, isn't it like it?
Speaker 1: I think to be honest, I think if I think you've made the decision.
Speaker 3: Kindly in that way too. But then that's also God, that's a huge call though, isn't it a.
Speaker 1: Massive cool, massive cool and huge call on Teddy if he comes back wins Man in the match they play out of the skin. The old adage is you don't change a winning team. But I think you've gone down that path. Yeah, how you Jakeie? You feel.
Speaker 3: Yes today? So like, what can you imagine that phone callould have been like between Jake and Teddy When Jake called Teddy to say I'm captain?
Speaker 1: Ye can?
Speaker 2: That would be I wonder if I had he.
Speaker 3: Would have apologized.
Speaker 2: Jake is so nice that when Teddy came back into camp, he probably would have called him and man and said you can be captain if you can have it back if you are likes He's That kind of would have been an awkward moment phone. But again, Jake is another one who's absolutely the right to be able to be in New South Wales, captain. So yeah, it's it's awkward around. It was interesting. Brad Fieldler mentioned that he thought that the initial conversation phone call when Madge picked up the call to the phone to Teddy to say we need you, you're back in, would have been you know, the way he said it was not so warm and a few little words said so you know, but I don't I don't think Teddy is the kind of guy who was he will go into camp kind of holding a grudge with.
Speaker 3: You that you got Yeah, and did not get an air of that whatsoever. He just seemed so happy to be there and he was, you know, laughing, and he was in a really good mood and he seemed calm, And there's got.
Speaker 1: To be a bit of him that those goes in with the point to prove.
Speaker 3: It has to be what more could of course.
Speaker 1: Because they want to me and they get to where they are in the game because they're great competitors, great self belief and you know when a bloke like that gets dropped like that, and so he gets a late call up, I'm sure he's thinking himself, well, I'm going to show you you got it wrong.
Speaker 3: Yeah, were on Gordy when he said.
Speaker 1: I wasn't on when he said it, but.
Speaker 3: So Gordy said. He said that there would be an air of embarrassment about.
Speaker 1: Being good and tell Us is a great queen, the other queen a little bit. I don't think. I don't think there would be with James. I think, as I said, I think James goes in there with a point to prove, and it's probably I don't think he'd be embarrassed. I think he'd be determined to and I from queens and I'm really wary of him. The issue might be and one of the criticisms of Teddy in origins is that maybe overplaced his hand and tries to get his hand the ball too much, tries to and and maybe take some of the possession away from the heart, the control away from the harves. I wonder whether Teddy's got to be on guard that he doesn't try to do too much and doesn't doesn't affect, you know, Jerome Lei and Niko Hines' ability to run the team and play the way they want to play. It's intriguing through to come dis late how significant I mean, I'd imagine my name. You've set the way you're going to play right and then on a Sunday three before the game, your fallback changes. Now there's sort of similar footballers. Well they want to be around the ball lot, but there's subtle changes you'd have to make. It doesn't even have much time to make them because they've done most of the hard work by now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well they do have one big session today before obviously, like Captain's run, so any of those tweaks will have to be made today. But I find it hard to believe that Madge is going to throw out the playbook because Teddy's in there, and Teddy's been around long enough, he's experienced enough he'll know, and he's played with the why before. So yeah, I think whatever game plan that Madge had to begin with, obviously, because it was a game plan that didn't necessarily include the way that Teddy likes to play our agent, you know what I mean? Like you said, maybe you know has too many possessions. But part of that too, when you think back on it, is you know, as great as Nathan Cleary is, and Nathan Cleary hit himself has admitted that he hasn't necessarily taken origin by the scruff of the neck. So a lot of him, maybe overplaying his hand, has been in the fact that they've struggled to find a dominant half in origin. So yeah, look, I don't know. I don't I don't think Teddy will have a point to prove, but I don't know. I also don't think Teddy's the kind of player who's going to go out there and want to make Wednesday Night about him.
Speaker 3: He might need to kind of We've got an untested halves combination though there too, so he also has the ability then to take the game if he needs to.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not about the Mighty Morons. We've had a I shouldn't say we were in past slant. His journalis the Queens and has had a very smooth preparation. Only concerned was Harry had Harry Green had a little little food scare. Yeah, but he's okay. I saw him interview the other day, Harry. So it's been really relatively calm in Queens. And then their favorites to the Marones apparently, although everyone knows the Queens and they are always the underdogs.
Speaker 2: I was going to say, according to who favor is the underdogs? Yeah, I mean I think I guess it speaks to the fact that how much they are the favorites in that they lost somebody like cam Munster. But it hasn't been like the main talking point, like nobody's been banging on about oh my god, but he's a massive loss for them, you know, like when you think about players made for Origin on the on the flip side of things, just his unpredictability, h the X factor, the way that he's a game breaker, Like they lose that from from camp Munster, because cam Munster is the kind of guy who can when you need something at the death, he can come up with it. And I don't think but maybe that's just you know how Billy satter is. Cam Munster's not there, so they just move on with tom Didon and and hopeful the best.
Speaker 1: Well, it would say Tommy's one game he's played of Origin, he was absolutely oba and Cam hasn't been Like Cam has obviously carried cam Munster's obviously carried that growing problem or hit problem most of the year, and I reckon it's he hasn't been the same player this year.
Speaker 2: But think Origin is the kind of arena that he throws, well.
Speaker 1: That's where he's been brilliant, original level but I think Tommy didn't Shiney can handle it, do a good job there and obviously got a lot of weapons with It's a great spy. And Reecee Walsh, Harry Grant, you know, Daily's obviously been a steady hand for long time. In Original Daily's form has been a bit down as well. I reckon this year, the game before Origin, he was better, but his form the month before that I thought was he was a bit shaky.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well the Cowboys haven't been They've been very, very patchy the Cowboys all years. So it's it's not like, you know, the Queens Anders go in there with a harp's combination that have been killing.
Speaker 1: So you're basically confirming that Queens that should be underdogs. Is that what you're saying?
Speaker 2: Well, the Blues would win, So yeah, to me, they are the favorite.
Speaker 1: Tom I mean, sorry, Tommy didn't do you expect? What do you expect from him? As I said, he's played Origin before and been I think from memory I called him he was out ending in that game. But the Cowboys haven't been great this year. But he's one of those guys you just always he's always trying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think so too, And he just seems kind of unflappable, just calm, just gets his job done. I think that's kind of all he'll need to do. All they need to do is just get the ball out of resource.
Speaker 1: Right, we should touch Ony boy because he's probably the great threat for Queens and he's such a good player and he's an excitement machine and they love him, do you what's his speed? Is his speeds and and adds another dimension of the Queens in game. And he gets his ball out, the ball out the back and puts his sallerated down. That's that's going to put the fear of God. And you said, I imagine is it? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I don't think Magic's got a planet he's borrowing from de has not. And so I know the weekend about how has has figured out how to shut down resworts and it's just pretty much have you know, the outside backs just on him like a rash. So, yeah, he is. He's probably when you think about when you think about the team that the Blues have named, I don't know whether we have the same sort of X factor player in Ris Walsh on the Blue side. So yeah, he's probably going to be the one that you want to shut down.
Speaker 3: The most sel and Gobbo also to an extent as well, because if they bring him on, you know late, they're going to play. And that's just that is the thing that that's the thing that scares me is that we don't have we when new weals don't kind of have that, you know, when the game is really getting into the trenches towards the back end, someone with a bit of energy, it's going to has to come from those starting you know thirty in that back line.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's probably another reason Madge couldn't really afford to take a risk on Dylan Edwards because your bench, they have no backs on the bench, and I think they're covered for the outside backs as Hudson Young who's played, who's trained to send send in camera on occasions.
Speaker 3: But yeh a memory.
Speaker 2: He might have shifted out there during a game every every now and then when they've had like injuries or something like that.
Speaker 1: But yeah, but Cobbo is really intriguing the way they use him because there's a chance maybe he doesn't get in the field, so on Cobo during this game, but if he gets on the field, I imagine at some point maybe he plays in the middle of the field because Queens have had done that over the years. Kalan's played there, Cooper played there, Benny Hunt's played there. Is sort of a middle, sort of a lock, almost a roaming go in the middle of the field. And I reckon, someone's a big dude, right, I mean, and he's and you can imagine latent games they bring on So and Cobo to the middle of the field. Could be unbelievable, could be a disaster.
Speaker 2: Player. However, it could be knowing Yeah, I was just gonna say, knowing so on Cobbo, it's probably leaning on the war genius side.
Speaker 1: And Billy is obviously a tactical, tactically very smart Billy. You know they talk about back in Melbourne back in the day he come up with all his trick plays and when he was playing Billy, so he knows how to I'd imagine he'd know how in his mind, he'd know how he's going to use sew one in that role, and he could come up with some really different ways. I reckon.
Speaker 3: Just the sight of Billy Slater in like a Maroon's jersey in the colors or something just sends chills up your spiders. And man, do you agree, just yeah, later, just having him anywhere near Origin is scary.
Speaker 1: Now what about the Women's Origin to sell.
Speaker 2: Out, to sell out, how good is that?
Speaker 1: Yeah? That first game was a good game, bad result, good game?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well what was a great result? And then the Yeah, so it's another it's a home game here for New South Wales girls. But yeah, just to have a sellout in Newcastle, we obviously know what kind of a community they have up there. They love their rugby league. So sold out. Yeah, a week or so out from the game. Incredible, sud be over thirty thousand people there and this again will be another records. It will be another world record for a standalone women's rugby league match. So just they just smashing records.
Speaker 1: Ye.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the ratings were amazing at a game, so there's definitely it was it was the right move to get to a to get to a series, rather than you know, just have the two games. And absolutely yeah, if I remember correctly, I'm just going to go out here a little bit. When we previewed the first Women's Origin, both of you doubt that the Blues kid done?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I can't remember that far back.
Speaker 3: No, I mean I'll absolutely put my hand up. I thought the fact that they hadn't played any Woodie or they didn't have a club kind of or state competition going into it was going to be a bit underne it was, but it turns out they well they had the seven week camp and they just looked so fit and really connected as a team. So yeah, yeah, I definitely got that wrong.
Speaker 1: Are you expecting it to be over? Then? After after Thursday night? Right Thursday? That game, Yeah, serious to be over because New said win.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, Queen's only going to have to pull something out. They've made a few changes, so they've dropped Zahara Tamara so she was in the halves in game one, and then so Ali brigging Sure is back at half back, so she was at lock. So they've made a few little changes there. But they're gonna I mean, they're Queensland, right, so they backs against the wall kind of stuff, you know, the mentality. Yeah, so you can never really count them out. But yeah, they did need a drastic improvement.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think the biggest The biggest thing I noticed because I was up there for Magic Ground and covered the first ochin game and you know, I'd remembered you saying sort of the biggest worry about the Blues was the fact that they hadn't had any state competitions leading into it. But the thing is they looked a lot fresher than Queensland. They looked a lot more enthusiastic, a lot more energized, And that was the biggest thing. I noticed that the Queensland were you after about ten minutes out on their haunches and they just looked just like that. The preparation that seven week camp was perfect for them. So and they were on a massive high after the game as well, And I think that's sort of confidence and momentum is going to bode well for them, and I think that the series will be over.
Speaker 3: What could be better than playing at a packed crowd at Newcastle?
Speaker 1: Yep, we'll get you, We'll get your predictions. What are you thinking? Men's and women's South Wees all the way?
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's go bluey Blue.
Speaker 1: Train as a Queenslander in both games, both games.
Speaker 2: Of course, are we going to have? It was a school prediction, So school prediction?
Speaker 1: How many points?
Speaker 2: Oh god, okay, let's go. Let's go eighteen twelve New South Wales and the men's game let's go twenty four twenty four to eight.
Speaker 3: In the women's game, we got yeah, another bit of a low scorer both under Yeah, we'll say fourteen ten to New South Wales and the men's game, and then in the women's game we'll go make it close twenty four twenty two.
Speaker 1: I think Coens win by about twenty two points. In the men's game. Margin I'm government margin two points. I'm very confident, and I think the women's game close to two points. It is very smash.
Speaker 3: You've gone from saying they're the underdogs to smash.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, and the women's gay a be a bit closer, but it should be an unforgettable night. Now, are you ready for an unforgettable experience at the Panasonic air Conditioning Sydney Super Night. We're giving you the chance to win a hot lap around Sydney Motorsport Park with Anton Deeper Squally from Shell v V Power Racing Team Fearly Adrenaline Rush, experienced lightning speed and unleash the power of the Gen three Supercar. Simply purchase your tickets a ticket tek to the Panasonic air Conditioning Sydney Super Night and use the code news to two zero two four. That's News twenty twenty four A checkout. That's your ticket to automatically enter the drawer for this unforgettable money can't buy experience teacency supplies. The winner must be available to claim the prize on Monday month or sorry, claim the prize on Monday, July twenty two, twenty twenty four. So great opportunity there to get to the Sydney Super Night.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exciting stuff. Okay, let's look at the games on the weekend. Obviously we were had a lot of players, a lot of high quality players, a lot of rep players. But some players came back, including Mitchell Moses for Paramatta and how good was Mitchell Moses and how good were paramatter with Mitchell Moses back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you're if there's anybody who is going to deliver when they have a point to prove, it's somebody like Mitch Moses. And he's probably got, you know, a point to prove for a couple of reasons, obviously, like he was out injured when BA you know was axed. He misses out on Origin because of the fact that he's out injured. So yeah, he came out there with a point to prove, and he certainly did it, and they looked like a completely different footy team with him out there, Like, not only in terms of how they played their football, it was a really really good team effort, but just that competitiveness that someone like him and Guffo add to that team. They really missed them when when both of those guys were off the field.
Speaker 1: There's a difference he made of the guys around him to Mitch. I mean, Will Pennasenia I think started the year really well and Mitch got injured in his game dropped off a bit, but Penseni was outstanding as well, and that was because Mitch was back to just sort of unleash him, I guess. But it's interesting, right because I'm sure Jerome and Nicko sort of set back and maybe watching that game on Thursday night, they would be the blow torches. Mitch would have been there. If Mitchell got back before Origin one, at any point, he would have been the team for Origin.
Speaker 2: Not to go back to Origin talk, but do you if Mitch was available, do you think it would have been Mitch and Nico rather than Mitch and Jerome.
Speaker 1: Uh? I think, well, Mitch would have been there. I know Mitch would have been I suppose it would have been with with NiCoT what they would have done, but maybe Niko at seven and Mitch at six. I think the plan was always playing Mitch at six and clearly at seven.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: I think it puts a lot of pressure on those guys. But he was ridiculously good.
Speaker 3: Mitch was Yeah, he's just we know he has a kind of game in him, but now it's got so power. Had won three games coming into that, then they just looked outstanding their next few games. So they've got the Bulldogs this week, that's a big game, a big game. Then they got the Roosters, a buy Knights, Rabbit O's Titans, and then a buye good draw, good draw over these next what's up seven weeks and they're going to think they need that draw, like if if they're going to sort of find themselves in that finals equation.
Speaker 2: Again, that's the perfect draw for them. The only thing is if Moses to Origin, then that becomes problematic for them. I mean there is a buy in there, but still they need him on the field for the next twelve games.
Speaker 1: I love it when he runs the ball, Mitch. That's when he runs a fo ball. Yeah, he's fast. He just creates havoc when he runs a football.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: They're much better team when he's when he is running the footy. It's interesting that they've obviously shortlisted coaches now for that job. I expect over the next twenty four hours we'll find out who's on that short list. I mean, Hannah, Josh Hanna, Jason Rolls, Trent Barrett will be on the list. I imagine Michael McGuire be in the list of the Paramounty job. If you've got an early favorite, who do you like?
Speaker 2: My feeling is, considering they went for somebody like Wayne Bennett, my feeling is somebody like now that he's off the table, that someone like Madge maguire is something is the kind of coach that they are probably looking for, because there's a reason why you target someone like Wayne Bennett, right Like you're looking for experience, So you know, Jason, Guys like Jason Rawles and Josh Hanna a spoken about so the next you know, best up and coming head coaches, but they don't necessarily have experience in that head coach role. You do take on a difficult roster for a number of reasons, like it's an experienced roster, so you've only got a limited amount of time to actually get success. There's a lot of big personalities in that roster. You need somebody who's going to be able to manage egos, and you need somebody who's going to be able to manage the next crop of guys coming in. Plus, I don't think there's a more high pressure job in the NRL than being the head coach of the ParaMed eals. You need somebody who's going to be able to deal with that constant that that it's that relentless expectation, that pressure that's not Yeah, So when I think something like Madge might be suited to.
Speaker 1: That, I reckon it's a Hanai roll shootout.
Speaker 2: You think I like it like that.
Speaker 1: Too, Madge, just because maybe there's a perception he's very much like Brad in terms of the type of coach. Is I don't know, just stern.
Speaker 2: To stern what you're saying that that.
Speaker 1: Look maybe a bit more old school than what Rosey and Josh. They're more of the modern coach, right. They're they're young there, they haven't been burnt by the system yet, a little.
Speaker 2: Bit like not jaded yet not jaded, right.
Speaker 1: And I'm not saying I imagine do a great job there, I think, but I just get the feeling they're going to look at a fresher, a fresher coach, and they're the two guys who are knocking on the door for me. I mean, they're the two roles. He's had an apprenticeship, he's been at the Melbourne Roosters. He was an assistant Eddie Jones with England Rugby. He's back at Melbourne now. Josh has been with obviously Crenello. He's had a little interim stint from memory before at that was that the cows Cornella Cornella. He's been on Billy staff with Queensland. You know, they would seem two guys who've done everything they.
Speaker 2: Need to put in on the work.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I reckon Riles as well. He has a very similar kind of a resume or similar as Brad when he was first appointed to part as well, and they kind of took a chance on him.
Speaker 1: And yeah, there's this whole perception there aren't coaches out there and you've got to go back to guys who've you know, the guys like Madge' and who've been there before. But I don't I don't agree with that. At some point, you've got to guys like Rosy and Josh Hapin working their butt off to get an opportunity. At some point you've got to give these guys a go. And understand Para is a big club, right, They've gone almost forty years without winning a camp. It's a lot of pressure. But it's a good squad. That's what we saw the other night. That's still a really good squad. Yeah. Absolutely, it's a squad that's a little bit tinkering, a little bit and done. Not a lot of tinkering, just a little bit of somewhat taken over the Dragons when need a lot of overhaul, that squad a couplets and.
Speaker 2: Ins and outs. But I don't think they've got that many players signed for twenty twenty six.
Speaker 1: A lot of player options, I think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But as in there is whoever comes in, I mean, there is a there is room for that, for that sort of overhaul. Barrett is he well, he'll be.
Speaker 1: He'll get an interview, i'd imagine, because he is the infant. But I mean again, Trent's had a couple of jobs manly Canterbury. It's been in the system the last year or so when they struggled. He said that, but they look good the other night.
Speaker 2: They did look good the other night, and he's you know, you can't question his his footy brain and his footy smart's good attacking coach. Defensive they probably need some help defensively. You know, if they can put a good defensive coach near Barrett, then maybe that changes things. But and I know he had a really bad win record at Canterbury, but I don't know who could have done any better at Canterbury at that point in time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you mentioned Canbry. That's a big game this week Power Bulldogs. The Dogs were outstanding last week they were against Newcastle just flogged them, really flogged them. And again it's just so is this incremental improvement the Bulldogs this year? They've just looked better just about every week they've improved. They lost joshadow Car for eight to ten weeks with a hammi problem, which is a blow, but they've shown, I reckon this year they've got the resilience to overcome that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, I think where they're obviously the biggest improvement that you can see is defensively right, and that hasn't been incremental. So They've gone from being the worst defensive side in the competition to now the best defensively in areas that you would not even dream that Canary would be at the top. I was looking at this yesterday for the column they have the best defense in the entire competition, better than Penrith in the red zone. You know, to think that the team that was that many points last year is now conceding the least amount of run meters, the least amount of post contact meters has the best red zone defense, is like that improvement isn't incremental. I think they're attacking. Improvement has been incremental, but even there, like the way Siro has been able to help Matt Burton go from everybody saying he's actually a center to him actually going okay, you can do this. Maybe he's a playmaker. You got read many.
Speaker 1: Playing out of his skin, annoying people.
Speaker 2: But he is playing some really good football.
Speaker 3: Yeah I can do.
Speaker 2: I don't know what do you think about it?
Speaker 1: Is Queensland obviously not going to dig him too much. But the thing with right, if you're going to react to him, react like have a dead set go read.
Speaker 2: Are you advocating for violence?
Speaker 1: Well, he half boy head buttons the other day, but.
Speaker 2: It wasn't really a head part, was it, Sihii Sophie. Yeah, yeah, But.
Speaker 1: You guys are getting getting sit in for like not really having to go.
Speaker 2: But that's on them for reacting to that niggle. We can't be endorsing.
Speaker 1: Show. I want to see someone actually. I know Canbury haven't been as bad this year, but I'd just like to see someone when when Canbury are losing the next game, if he gets a bit out of hand, that's starts a bit lopsided. I'd like to see someone just go read money and just sledge him the whole game.
Speaker 2: I don't think well for read Money that is power this week?
Speaker 1: Haven't they so those power?
Speaker 2: You would know the points?
Speaker 1: Would They'll be intriguing to watch one how they react.
Speaker 2: I think it's the kind of way he's been niggling the last couple of weeks has changed ever since the Heatherington moment. And you know he probably got told by Saro to pull pull his head in. If he's going to niggle and bear pest, that's fine, but not to the point that it's going to hurt his team. So after being symbind, I don't think he's niggled to the point where it's hurt his team. You know, on the weekend he hurt Newcastle even though the game was over. It was SOPHETI he got symbind. But it was interesting because Andrew John's yesterday was saying how read Money now risks his legacy being just that he's a grub you know when he should be when you know he should be in the Origin conversation because Ben Hunt isn't going to play forever. He'll be thirty five next year, so and he is playing good enough football to be in that conversation. But it does Billy Slater wipe that sort of yeah stuff.
Speaker 1: I would imagine Origin. Those are the sort of you know, walking that fine line and maybe maybe conceding the odd penalty. In Origin, you can't do that. You'll get punished. So i'd imagine Billy would be wary about taking a chance on Read Marty given sometimes what he does back for I mean more often than not he wins that verbal battle and that mental battle, but occasionally in Origin you've got to be really disciplined, otherwise you get punished.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just look back on the origins of old right, so we had like Justin Hodges, it was just a king at this Yeah, like yeah, I feel like he just kind of if he can, if he finds that line of how to get under someone's skin without getting punished, without losing it, that's I think.
Speaker 1: That's perfect fair.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I yeah, that would be as much as you know, I don't want to see it, but that would be perfect fair.
Speaker 1: Queensland And what about you a lot about j Jerald Rea Hargraves today. Yeah, well there was his escape with a little slap on the wrist.
Speaker 2: Ja subsequent offense, but I think it was a Grade one charge, so we got a three thousand dollars fine. With the early play for that shoulder to Thomas mcainley, I mean during the game most people missed it, including myself, but there were replays at halftime and it looked he doesn't miss, like he goes in, he launches himself. But obviously the Matterbute committee doesn't think it warrants the suspension, even though at the time or the commentary was out, you know that Jared's in for another lengthy stint. But no, fine you play on.
Speaker 1: Move on, now, let's get to the really intriguing.
Speaker 3: No, let's put our hands up. How many tips did you get right this week?
Speaker 1: Too? I got camera right one.
Speaker 2: I got zero zero. No, I think I got too. Hold on exploding that I tipped camera because most people tip the dolphins.
Speaker 1: I took camera.
Speaker 2: Couldn't believe it. I tipped camera and I tipped that's it.
Speaker 3: I really wanted to tip her and then I just took.
Speaker 1: Wow, easy charging dboard. Now what are you watching? What do you got for us this week? What are you watching?
Speaker 3: I don't know if anyone has seen this loan. Yeah, so it's very interesting. I am obsessed with it. So they drop contestants in some remote area in Australia. They're by themselves. Obviously, it's called alone. They can take ten items with them, so whether that's you know, tarp rope, or they are some flint flint, yeah, little bits and pieces. Some people take you know, fishing wire or things like that, because then that's all you've got and the aim of the game is to just last out there longer than anybody else. They drop them just in remote areas of so it could be just in Tasmania in the same area, like about you know the ten k's around.
Speaker 2: They can't. They're not actually together in the same place, but far.
Speaker 3: Enough away that they don't know where anyone else is. And yeah, they've just kind of got to survive and they're there. They've got their own They get taught how to set up the camera so there's no camera people like, there's no crew there with them.
Speaker 1: They keep the camera charged.
Speaker 2: I don't know, maybe they drop off some batteries in Australia.
Speaker 3: But yeah, so fascinating.
Speaker 2: I'm just going to say, I bring a phone.
Speaker 1: But yeah, wins what do they eat?
Speaker 3: Whatever they catch? So whether that's how do you can you cut your camper?
Speaker 1: Well, I do camp because my wife likes to camp. I'm not a huge fan of camping. Look like.
Speaker 2: You look like the glamor.
Speaker 3: You get the cabin, don't you.
Speaker 2: A camper?
Speaker 1: We camp, I'm telling you every year.
Speaker 2: In one of those exclusive.
Speaker 1: I think we do have as one of those pop up tents where the poles already in there. Quick I digress. Very funny story because a few years ago I lent the polls to a friend of ours for their tent, and when we got they return them, I didn't put them in the tent bag. So we went camping. We drove down this coamor area somewhere we got there to put the.
Speaker 2: How what did you do?
Speaker 1: So like go to Bunnings and.
Speaker 2: Did that on alone?
Speaker 1: You can't just go to Bunnings maybe stuff? What are you watching them?
Speaker 2: I'm watching Better of course it's an oldie. It's an oldie, but I tend to I tend to do that. I tend to circle back once everybody's forgotten about, like a hit TV show because I'm late to never watched it before. I never watched before. I didn't realize it has some sort of connection to Breaking Bad.
Speaker 3: Yeah he's the lawyer from Breaking Bad.
Speaker 2: Okay, I've never seen Breaking Bad.
Speaker 1: Guy, I've never watched either of those shows.
Speaker 3: We're breaking Back one of the best TV.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, sometimes you'll leave.
Speaker 3: You run too late for shows I've watched.
Speaker 1: I can't get in. It's too late.
Speaker 2: One of the great Now you gets to watch better course, Although if you like sort of those that field quirky legal dramas, then okay, it's good fun.
Speaker 1: Mine's not a show I'm watching at the moment, but I watched the first two seasons of it. Third seasons about to come on. Mayor Kingstown, outstanding show. I've forgotten the actor in it. What's his name again? He's the Arrow guy from Guy. Yeah, he's the black the guy from the Let Me the Arrow guy in the Marvel movies and stuff. He's the guy who he was driving his snowmobile where he lived in his snowmobile or his snowplow land on top of it almost killed him.
Speaker 2: Real life, very accident. Yes, I know that any of these.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that there. What's his name, Jeremy.
Speaker 2: Renner, Jeremy Renner, Yes, very good.
Speaker 1: This show is outstanding. Actually, Mary Kingstown. You get the chance, it's about watched it. So he's like a fixer in a town. It revolves around prison. He's like, he's like a fixer.
Speaker 2: On the outside of the Yeah, he's not the actual mayn but like the mayor.
Speaker 1: He's like the unofficial mayor of Kingstown. Yeah, it's very good. So you get a chance to yourself favor season season three. I think it's how today. So what's the first two seasons for what are you going to be doing for the jump on season three? I'll binge that, I'll be up till to end and watching the whole show all right anyway, Thanks for joining us enjoy Origin this week, and we'll see you next week.