Speaker 1: Whatever gets me towards daytime football. I think daytime football makes for such better footy.
Speaker 2: NRL.
Speaker 1: Mister Andrew Abda, please take this seriously. In the second week of the finals, can you please play a Sunday afternoon semi final Wida.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Code NRL Show on Dave Ricky with me is Brent Reied. It's a very cozy set today, Rebn.
Speaker 3: Marshmallows because look, it's just the two of us.
Speaker 1: The workers were always here.
Speaker 2: Men, let's rip straight into it.
Speaker 1: Bunnies Roosters, the great rivalry, final round of the season. They tell us House have nothing to play for. Then they run out against the Roosters. You know exactly, They've got something to play forte.
Speaker 4: They can end the Rooster season potentially, Dave, and they would love nothing more than to do that. Given there's not a lot of stake for them, they can't play finals footy. But you know this, this the build up to this game has been Look, it's always acrimonious, but this time around it's got a little bit of something, a little bit of something different to it. Obviously with the Brandon Smith factor, it's going to be explosive. Dave, I Reckon, We're going to see some drama here, which the Roosters don't want. Potential the finals. The last thing they need is drama. Bloke's getting suspended, Bloke's getting put on report. They don't need that.
Speaker 1: So this is interesting because you actually raised that very point last weekend at the Trent Robinson press conference post match against the Melbourne Storm. I think you planted that seed then that Brandon, no more so that the Roosters players need to keep their cool if they're to play, if they continue to play next week.
Speaker 4: Well, they played so well in Melbourne, Dave didn't the second half down there, and I think people when you look at the way they played in the second half down there, Look, I don't think they can do any damage. Well sorry, I don't think they can win the camp. But when you look at the way they played in the second half down there, they can do some damage when they get to the finals. But they've got to get there to keep their heads on Friday night.
Speaker 1: Why can't they given why can't they win the camp with that roster and.
Speaker 2: With that second half. This is your bug It is my bug bear. It is my bug bear, and true Roosters fans you know it.
Speaker 1: You know that that is a talented outfit and that they should have been performing a lot better and rightfully so they should be in the finals with that amount of talent and rep experience.
Speaker 3: It's not about the the Dally Player of the Year at fullback.
Speaker 4: I don't acknowledge they're a talented team, but I think they've been too inconsistent this year. You can't can't just turn it on come the finals. When you're playing playing the elite sides in the comp you can't just flick a switch and become consistent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that I would argue that they're showing signs that they have. They've already flicked that switch. Well, the one the second half forty l against Melbourne st.
Speaker 4: Or two ago. Was it last week they lost. I mean they're just they've been a bit up and down. For me. I know they've been a bit better second half of the season. Obviously, Sammy Walker will come back this week and I'm more evile. Second half against Melbourne, washing Bells coaches box and made he was he was astonished by the second half. They were fantastic. But yeah, it's just so look, it would not surprise me. David if South beat them, because they haven't. They haven't convinced me the roosters.
Speaker 1: Let me say this, if the Dolphins managed to elevate themselves into the top eight over the top of the Roosters, that is embarrassing for the Sydney Roosters.
Speaker 4: Are you with me the site you're saying based on the talent level.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, look at the injury carnage the Dolphins have gone through.
Speaker 2: Yeah, carnage.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well today I would say, yeah, that's probably a fair point because but the roosters have had half a year without seeing I'll get it. I get it, and as I said, they've been better in the second half of the year than the first. But you know, they just got to look their only priority is going to be got to be betting Souse. They can't think about the feuds, and they can't think about the breath in a Smith drama, and they can't think about anything other. They can't even think about finals. They just got to think about turning up playing well, stick to the process.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Process. I think they win, I really do. I think.
Speaker 1: You know, I think they win because they should win given the amount of talent that they do.
Speaker 4: I'm not one hundred percent there.
Speaker 5: Well, I think the Bunnies haven't been too bad. Souse has been good recently, Walk has been sensational. Won't play Cat Murray is an interesting one, but I just Jack Whiteen's back. Yeah, I think Souse can beat them. Yeah, because I think, as we've spoken about, they've been thinking about this game, setting themselves up for this game, getting ready for this game for weeks now. I mean I own it off because they've had nothing else to play for. What they've had to play for is this game, being ready for this game and beating the Roosters and knock them out of the finals.
Speaker 1: You mentioned Craig Bellamy's box. You were given a front row seat back row.
Speaker 4: Sea actually did have a seat. It up no seats seat. I stood up in about not enough seats coming. It's not a big box, Dave, no seats in. Nick Mede and Jerome Hughes had seats, and I couldn't make them get up because they were in the back of the TI.
Speaker 1: It was a bit like it was the Gus called Laurie Daily Situation all over it. You went to sit down, but there was no seats.
Speaker 4: So I stood there and I spent most of the second half, just trying to hide behind Ali Katoa, who came up in the second half because I thought I don't want Craig to see me. Things were going so ugly.
Speaker 2: Couldn't help. But notice there was some like red frogs and sour straps. As far as how many.
Speaker 3: Just Craig in hail of those, I don't.
Speaker 4: Actually remember him taking. I don't think anyone had here. I think that box just sat there. Maybe it's just for the decor of the cut the bottles of water, cut the computer screens. Yeah, man, it was ugly second alfter, very ugly for me.
Speaker 2: Did you enjoy the experience?
Speaker 4: I enjoyed it. It was just very tent. The second half was so diabolical for Melbourne.
Speaker 2: Yeah it was.
Speaker 4: It's just a very tense place to be. But I enjoy being there.
Speaker 1: It was a unique, huge game on Saturday night ad at a Core Stadium, Kennedy Bulldogs against the Kronulla Sharks. Interestingly Cam Seraldo, who has decided not to rest here. Now, some Doggies fans would be suggesting, well, I wouldn't mind putting a couple of my boys on eyees, given that it really isn't much positional change for the Dogs. It's almost certain that they'll be playing the Melbourne Storm and Reedy and I are hearing that that's most likely next Friday night. Yet to be confirmed, but that is the tip down at Amy Park.
Speaker 2: What do you think.
Speaker 1: Reban should Sarata have been resting them. My personal opinion is no, he shouldn't. He needs to keep this spine humming and this team going. Due to the fact that there has been some changes along the way.
Speaker 4: Well, the worry is day they haven't played great footy.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: So they beat Penrith last week, but that was a Penrith side without sixteen blokes or whatever, and they weren't I didn't think they were overly impressive. They were good against Melbourne a couple of weeks ago, but they lost that game in Melbourne obviously. So I think it's really important that they play because I just as I said, I just don't think they're purring at the moment and I think they need to find something before the finals. I worry for the Dogs. I just don't think I've seen enough in the past six eight weeks to suggest to me they can do damage.
Speaker 2: That Storm game was pretty good. Three tries over the trial.
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, they played very good in that game.
Speaker 2: And had they beaten the storm, would your opinion be different?
Speaker 4: It would be different.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they left three tries over the track.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but they didn't score. But you know so, I'm not surprised he's not resting. Not surprised he's not resting. Is that right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's okay.
Speaker 4: I'm not surprised he's not resting because I think they need to. They need some momentum they do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't disagree the Penrith game. I don't take much out of it. Honestly, had they won by fifty, what does that do for you? You've played touch footy the whole night as far as final preparation is concerned, and they win like they did, and everyone's not happy that it.
Speaker 2: Wasn't ruthless enough.
Speaker 1: Like I just felt it was such a lose, lose scenario for the dogs.
Speaker 2: This one I want to see.
Speaker 4: I thought if they put forty or fifty on pen would have gone that's pretty good. I would have. But I know you're saying most people woud have got to answers. That's right, gone, mate, that's pretty impressive they put him to the sword.
Speaker 2: This will be good, This will be good. Yeah, because styles make fires.
Speaker 4: There's a question for you though, Dave. If Brisbane went on on Thursday night. Yeah, Cronulla are basically can't make the four. Can't make the four. Shouldn't they rest players?
Speaker 1: I think I think you'll find that the fact that the Sharks had to buy only last week, they would treat that as that's their rest, that's their rest. And like what you're saying, I think Cronulla another side that want momentum, they want they want harmony and they want to be humming coming into week one of the finals.
Speaker 4: Okay, and I'm not convinced by them at all, Dave, Yeah, I really worry. Like again, this history of in recent years fits. He's always gone into the finals, done an amazing job, Clue a great coach, but they've never really done any damage when they've got there.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, well you know my argument every time, it comes down to having plays with big game experience, and Cronulla haven't had those players.
Speaker 3: They just haven't. They haven't had origin players. They've had one game origin players.
Speaker 1: They don't have elite level experience in big matches they are experiencing finals matches.
Speaker 2: They got to the prelim.
Speaker 1: Last year and maybe that is their maturation as a team.
Speaker 2: But until they do it, I.
Speaker 1: Just feel as though you go through the other teams and they've got guys that have won massive games, Origin Series Test matches.
Speaker 4: But again, I wouldn't I wouldn't like to be facing them at Shark Park in Week one of the finals.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: If I'm the Roosters or Penrith potentially and you're playing Cranella week one of the finals at Shark Park in front of thirteen thousand, I wouldn't like that. But it scame me a little bit. Yeah, it's not like it's I don't think they can win.
Speaker 1: So I will say this, they're probably in their best state of preparedness and physicality that they've been in years gone by. And what I mean by that is Jesse Ramian's back, Oregon Confusi's back. The only concern obviously is Braiden Trindle, but it's not a long term. They do have a very healthy squad and that's rare, and with the buye last week and a big hit out against the Dogs this Saturday night, that might just be a nice.
Speaker 3: Little pipe opener before the finals.
Speaker 4: Well, that's what you mentioned. It's a really interesting game last round particularly have none of them rest players. It's it's a blockbuster really yep. And they could meet again in the finals at some point, so it's crucial that yep, one of them. Obviously one's going to win. But yeah, it's a big it's a big victory potentially.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Look, a little bit of news around seam Stone Street has agreed to a new deal at the Sharks.
Speaker 2: You like him, Yeah, I do. I think I think he's got something for sure.
Speaker 1: He's a try scorer, he's got speed, he's a local junior. You know, he's passionate about the footy club. But just at the moment just can't get past Katara Ronaldo Mallatalo.
Speaker 2: He'll get his chance.
Speaker 1: He did start the season and started well. Let's move to mainly the Warriors big.
Speaker 4: Game sideline for this one day, looking forward to it. Dahlia Shevan's last game. Yep. Brookie is a mainly of four points park as a manly player. Warriors again, they're one of those side. They're limping to the finish line, the Warriors Olympic limp and they look at all sorts of like, Yeah, in terms of looking ahead of the finals, they look at all, just so many injuries killed them in crucial spots. So look mainly need to win by about forty fifty and then hope the Rusters get beaten by thirty or forty of.
Speaker 2: Any mathematical they call it.
Speaker 4: They're a mathematical hope. I've got to say, Dave, and I hope the Warriors aren't watching, because.
Speaker 2: The Warriors are watching.
Speaker 4: Mainly, at their best can play some exhilarating football. The Warriors are struggling. I could see him putting forty on him, big call, and then we need South or they need to come to the party a game. But but I could also see Manly losing that sort of team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've got Manly winning this, And for everything you just said, I just feel as though the Warriors are just struggling for mojo at the moment.
Speaker 2: They've got stacks to play for. Tollu Cohler is a big out. Yeah for Manly. He's out with a knee injury.
Speaker 1: But with DC's final game, I thought we got a taste of it a couple of weeks back for his milestone match that the crowd did get around him. The team did get around him and they really responded with a big winner with the Dolphins, and I can see a similar game.
Speaker 4: To be honest, when do you reckon they announce his roosters once both teams are done for the year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, don't you.
Speaker 1: I mean the fascical nature of it is is that seen and Smith's meeting with rival clubs. So he's been told that there's no spot for him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that we know that DC he's going. It's just ridiculous. The Warriors are an.
Speaker 3: Interesting one as far as what they want as far as a.
Speaker 2: Home final is concerned, Readman.
Speaker 1: And we know that they are a genuine chance of being fifth or sixth, and the All Blacks play on Saturday night next week over in New Zealand, and it's the Warriors priority to play either the first Saturday slot or Sunday afternoon.
Speaker 4: Avoid a clash with the All Blacks. Yeah, yeah, well that makes sense.
Speaker 2: Have you spoken to the NRL about it?
Speaker 4: I spoke to him yesterday, Dave. Yeah, I'm they're aware of that. Obviously, They've got a lot of balls here at the moment with the scheduling, because you know, the camera camber is is pretty significant. Camera want to play Sunday. The general will prefer they play Saturday. I think they're saying, well, we're minor premiers, we should get the choice.
Speaker 1: It's also on the base that they played this Sunday. Yeah, and they want the longest possible turn around.
Speaker 4: So the NAL's got a lot of issues to work out. And that's just the All Blacks is one of them. The Cambrius is one of them. As you said, I think Melbourne Dogs will be Friday night, we imagine, but again there's an issue there because it could be an AFL final literally across the road from Amy Park at the MCG. So there's a lot going on. There's a little whisper around, Dave, actually, and I've tried to get this firmed up yesterday, so please, this is only a whisper that the second week of the finals, they normally play Friday Saturday, they might move to Saturday, or they're weighing up potentially they have to run up by the broadcasters moving to Saturday Sunday.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, what's the basis or thought behind that.
Speaker 4: I can't remember. There was a reason for it that. Yeah, I think it's to do with seventh turnarounds and if camera played. Yeah, if the team that camera play on Sunday they play, they play one of those teams in the battle for fourth. If they played Sunday, then you want to give the you know.
Speaker 1: What, I don't whatever gets me towards daytime football. I think daytime football makes for such better footing and I get it world rating World Sport has moved to nighttime sport for about money, baby, because of the TV broadcasts and the advertising ability and the commercial rates you get at nighttime. And for my same argument that we should have an afternoon grand final. I love daytime footy and a Sunday afternoon.
Speaker 2: Imagine a Sunday a final. So would that be a prelim? No, it would be a qualifying final.
Speaker 1: Qualifying final at Alion Stadium. Yeah, forty odd thousand under bright blue skies.
Speaker 2: How good try track? Great footy?
Speaker 4: Well it might be. It might be a sun though. That's the other thing, well Son call if Brisbane finished fourth that either maybe it's a sun course even better? Yeah, imagine Caxton Street readman can launched an appeal. You launch an appeal to the NRL.
Speaker 1: NRL mister Andrew Abda, please take this seriously in the second week of the finals, can you please play a Sunday afternoon semi final.
Speaker 2: It has to be done. Brilliant with your Dave readman, tell us what is in your mail bag?
Speaker 4: Dave, you know what. We're jumping on the marking and the Tawazi trained, the push for him to become the game's latest duel international. Has been on fire for the Roosters. Four tries last week. Obviously, he's played for the Wallabies and there's a big push now for him to go on the Kangaroo Tour. There's talking he might get picked. He's obviously under consideration. Dave. I spoke to our last children's national This caught me off guard. I did with a Wikipedia search. Who was our last children's national source of truth? Carmichaelant, Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm sorry, Carmichael, I forgot about him. Carmichael actually played with Mark at the war Retars and look he endorsed him. Said, look, look, telling really talented player. Was a really talented player when he was at the Warrortars when he was quite young. He was with him, and he's quite young. It was five years ago or something. But yeah, big fan Carmichael. So I'd forgotten about Kate special k.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was a talent, a man, he could.
Speaker 4: Plays coach now South slogan.
Speaker 2: In Brisbane and how anybody.
Speaker 4: They missed the finals this year, but they've been pretty good in recent good job.
Speaker 1: But Markie Mark, he would have he would have watched Carmichael play, Yeah, big time.
Speaker 4: He was a tough bugger. K I remember the kick returns made fearless. But you know there's a big push at the moment for Mark and I get the feeling. David, I think you might go on the Kangaroo too.
Speaker 2: I hear you. I'd have him.
Speaker 3: I'd have him every day of the week.
Speaker 1: But Jesus got a lot of people going on this tour, like you've got to someone's got to miss out.
Speaker 4: Oh, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think someone had give a ship of saki in.
Speaker 2: There was that sneaky peete.
Speaker 4: He's got to cheer the Brisbane boys. Peete Gavin would have done himself a mischief though, I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't think just on that game missing out that's.
Speaker 4: Huge for Brisbane. Yeah, yeah, he's been great for him this year. Yeah, but he's only got himself to blame. You've got to be better than that.
Speaker 3: Do you think he's back for the first week at the finals?
Speaker 4: Probably depends on how he responds, how they play and how he responds to what's happened. I mean, if he responds in the right way, they run out and get beaten and they're outside back struggle, then he probably comes in.
Speaker 2: Is there leading try score? He's got fifteen.
Speaker 4: It's had a great year and obviously you mentioned he's in he's in kangaroo too discussions. I'd have Mark ahead of him because I think he's there's more upside with Mark and I think he's been brilliant for the Roosters. So yeah, but I've forgotten about special cake.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, talent mate, not a player. May just reach a little bit deeper into the mailbag. And what's going on with R three sixty and wow, Sharky's Will Kennedy.
Speaker 4: Well this surprised me day. I was digging around R three sixty yesterday and it turns out Will Kennedy has been offered to R three six or R three sixty. He's appeared on the radar of R three sixty. Now, I don't think they've gone down that path, right, but whilst in the in the in the process of researching this, Dave, I'm now I'm now told this is all. This is just about over the line. This will happen the rebel rugby union compass. The worry is, Dave, we're talking about a competition that we expect will confirm that it's going to happen on September, around September thirty, Grand Final week. Of course, so we've all heard the links of rugby league players Peraps Nelson, you know, the Zach Lomack story, Joe Gray, you know, potentially perhaps and Nelson could be in Grand Final week three three sixty gets confirmed that week could be an ugly distraction day.
Speaker 3: This is a tactic right from the rebel rugby on.
Speaker 4: Three sixties right up. Some players have been tossed out.
Speaker 2: Of the three sixties on the NRL.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I think this is a I don't think this is I think the two are mutually exclusive.
Speaker 2: Timing.
Speaker 4: I think the timing was set up a long time ago. It's a rugby issue, not a rugby.
Speaker 3: Has the NRL Grand Final launching for a long time.
Speaker 4: It's unfortunate timing for rugby league, Dave. Unfortunate timing. But Will Kennedy, he's obviously you know more about this day. I mean, he obviously hasn't got a deal next year at Adella.
Speaker 1: So what's happened with Will is there's a deal sitting on the table at the Sharks, and it's up to Will whether he wants to take the catch to that is. Unfortunately, he's an off contract fullback in a market where every club have locked up their fullback, so there's no in the market of there's no movement, there's no movement. I suggest he takes the one year deal with the Sharks.
Speaker 4: Do ballpark with that.
Speaker 1: I think it's sitting around three point fifty four hundred. Take the deal with the Sharks, get back on the market next year and they'll be back.
Speaker 2: There'll be more movement again. Look, obviously the English Super League is also an option, but I don't know.
Speaker 4: He's too young.
Speaker 2: But I don't know I Will needs to go there. I'd put him at twenty six.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean there are three sixty things shows that there's some concern. Is not, at least as far as his camp can concerned, that there's not the interest they would hope.
Speaker 2: Would be in him.
Speaker 4: We'll see at that point, but I think R three sixty said thanks but no thanks with him M.