Speaker 1: Late Welcome Lait Debate.
Speaker 2: Thanks for joining us on the Late Debate. I'm James Macpherson with Liz Storer and Caleb Bond coming up. We've brought you some ridiculous trends on the Late Debate, but this one takes the cake. Paying other people to exercise for you.
Speaker 3: It's a real thing. We'll talk about that a little later.
Speaker 2: Plus, when we look at the papers, there's a good news story tomorrow, council's band from issuing ticketless parking fines, and outrage that government funding has gone towards hate speech groups.
Speaker 3: All of that.
Speaker 2: When we look at the papers, you know, Democrats describe him as a threat to democracy, a madman who will plunge America into a dystopian nightmare. The media say he's a cross between I don't know, Mussolini and Hitler, only worse. The Secret Service say he's not the sitting president, so he doesn't get a full security detail.
Speaker 3: And so nine.
Speaker 2: Weeks after Thomas Crook's fired of shots at Donald Trump, one of which hit him in the ear, there's been a second.
Speaker 3: Attempt on his life.
Speaker 2: So that's two assassination attempts in just nine weeks. While Kamala Harris is dodging interviews Donald Trump, He's dodging bullets. And if you listen to MSNBC, well, it's all Donald Trump's fault.
Speaker 4: Do you expect to hear anything from the Trump campaign about toning down the rhetoric, toning down the.
Speaker 5: Violence, or would that be a typical of the former president?
Speaker 6: Well, Alex, remember back to the assassination attempt on President Trump's life and how you know, there was talk of a new tone, and then the Republican Convention was, by Trumpian standards, muted, and it did seem like he was, you know, just trying to take it down a few notches. But then by the end of his convention speech, you know, we were kind of back to where we started.
Speaker 2: You know, I remember when we used to joke that if Donald Trump cured cancer, he'd be criticized for putting oncologists out of work. These days, Donald Trump can't even get shot at without it being his fault, Caleb.
Speaker 1: And is insane?
Speaker 7: It will actually, no, it's not insane by American left standards.
Speaker 1: That's an entirely insane resers.
Speaker 7: Normal and it's exactly what we saw after as you say, he got shot in the ear in Pennsylvania. I remember on CNN one of the first things they were saying was that, you know, oh, he just he fell to the ground, you know, not that it was obvious that he'd been shot or anything. They wonder why things like this keep happening. If you try to blame the bloke who is being shot for being shot, you may have a small problem. It is exactly this kind of rhetoric that encourages people to go and do things like we saw today.
Speaker 1: Now this particular.
Speaker 7: Ryan Routh's ruth. Have you want to pronounce his name? Probably doesn't really matter at this point. He's clearly a nutter and he was found before he was actually able to do it any potential damage to Donald Trump, and thank God for that. But it raises the question how on earth, once again was someone able to get that close to the potential next president of the United States. Former President of the United States. Trump was at his golf course at to West Palm Beach in Florida. He was on the fifth hole. This bloke was stationed at the sixth hole. It was only because a member of the Secret Service saw the gun pointing out between some shrubs of offense and fired a shot at him that this bloke then ran off.
Speaker 1: That's exactly how brave he was.
Speaker 7: But how was the whole place not scoped out until he was one hole before he got there. Well, the local sheriff says, well, he's not the president, why would you expect there to be security.
Speaker 8: Well, you've got to understand. The golf course is surrounded by shrubbery, so when somebody gets into the shrubbery, they're pretty much out of saint And at this level that he is at right now, he's not the city president. If he was, we would have had higher a golf course around it. Well, because he's not, the security is limited to the areas that the Secret Service deems possible. So I would imagine that the next time becomes at a golf course, there'll probably be a little bit more people around the perimeter.
Speaker 1: Oh that's good. Next time there'll be a bit carese security.
Speaker 7: Maybe they would have thought after nine weeks ago, when he was shot at in Pennsylvania, perhaps now would be the time to happen.
Speaker 3: This was the next time.
Speaker 7: For heaven's sake, how far behind the eight ball can these people possibly be? And I sort of hadn't thought about this in depth since Pennsylvania, but when I heard this today, I started to have the thought that, particularly if he becomes president, I suspect he's not going to die of natural causes. He's going to die because someone kills him. If this is it got this close a second time round to him being shot at, I'm almost convinced that at some point Donald Trump is going to be struck more severely than he was in the year or or he's going to be killed.
Speaker 1: It is that bad. People are that mad in America right now?
Speaker 5: Yeah, And it begs the question, how did this guy do it? Much like the first attempt on Trump's life? How did he do it without inside knowledge? How did he do it without inside help? We now know that it was a last minute decision for Trump to go to the golf course that day, So it's not like this guy could have availed himself and just thought, oh, well, got the inside scoop Trump's going to be on the golf course.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 5: No, it was a last minute decision. Trump decided to take himself for around and this guy just happened to be at the right part of the golf course at the right time. Keep in mind, we're talking about a massive golf course, over two hundred acres of wide open spaces. Anyone who's been to a golf course knows is wide open planes except for the shrubs and trees over here, a bit of a waterway over there. What was this guy just running around the golf course, taking undercover in this bush, running to the next lot until you get within yards of the most assassinatable that's a word as of now men on the planet currently, How was this possible? Now, speaking to motive, we know now from this guy's background that he was a massive Ukraine enthusiast. Check Out this article will excerpt from an article from the New York Times written just last year, in which he was telling them, I'm trying to recruit people in Afghanistan who have fled the Taliban. I'm trying to recruit them and get them to come to Ukraine to fight. He even said we can probably purchase some passports through Pakistan since it's such a corrupt country. So what he was saying that he was doing wasn't even legal. Yet he was so passionate about this particular war he was willing to go to such ends. Check out this tweet of February twenty twenty two, he said, I Am willing to fly to Ukraine and die for its people, and every run around the globe should do the same.
Speaker 9: Calmon people.
Speaker 5: His social media is full of this kind of psychotic pro Ukraine messaging, and so it stands to reason this may well have been one of his big motivators.
Speaker 9: Obviously, this is just speculation at this.
Speaker 5: Point in taking Trump out, because Trump has said repeatedly if I'm elected, I won't even wait until my inauguration.
Speaker 9: This war will be over.
Speaker 5: So anyone who wants to keep this war going is going to one to take him out.
Speaker 7: Well that this goes to the point around the rhetoric, right, So he previously he's a registered Democrat. By the way, this bloke he's previously tweeted his mild support for Trump that then started moving in recent years. In one tweet, he says, tweeting to the President, your campaign should be called something likedaf keep America democratic and free. Trump should BEMSA, make Americans slaves again, master democracies on the ballot, and we cannot lose. We cannot afford to fail. The world is counting on us to show the way. And we know that some people have tried to whip up this idea that Trump is somehow in Putin's pocket, that Trump tried to encourage Putin to invade Ukraine.
Speaker 1: We know that's not true.
Speaker 7: Trump has said his first order of business would be to end the war. He's made no secret about that. But the inflammatory rhetoric not from the Republicans, as the left keep trying to say, the inflammatory rhetoric by the left against Donald Trump. In cases like this, you'd have to ask the question, would that encourage someone to go and attack You say, well, Donald Trump's the.
Speaker 1: Man, he's in Russia's pocket.
Speaker 7: Well, if you are that interested in that war. And he's previously talked about how important this is about going there. He was interviewed by Newsweek about going over there and sending people over there. Pay attention to his hair, by the way, to'll give you an indication of how crazy this bloke is.
Speaker 8: To me.
Speaker 10: You know, a lot of the other conflicts are gray, but this conflict is definitely black and white. This is about good versus evil. This is a storybook, you know, any movie we've ever watched. This is definitely evil against good. I mean we're bowling a situation here where you know, the Ukrainians and the rest of the world are caring and kind and generous and unselfish and take care of one another, and it's just a matter of, you know, we need to stand up for that. That is the most important thing.
Speaker 3: In the world.
Speaker 7: I mean, he should be locked up for that die job alone, I think. But if he is that red hot on this particular issue and he has POTENTI actually being convinced that Trump is the Antichrist when it comes to things like this. That's what eventually motivates crazy people to try and take the life of a former president and potential future president. They cannot escape that the left in America cannot escape that it is their rhetoric that leads to events like this.
Speaker 2: The tweet that you read, which he posted on April twenty two, so not that long ago, and he said democracy is on the ballot, which is exactly aping words we've heard from Kamala Harris and friends. And remember after the first assassination attempt, the Democrats held their convention, but they continued to repeat these things, that the future of America was at stake, that Trump was a threat to democracy. Even during the debate just a few days ago, Kamala Harris repeated in Sinday lies about Trump that he said he would be a dictator, that he had threatened a blood bath if he lost the election, that he thought Neo Nazis were fine people. And then of course you've got celebrities on the left like the band member Kyle Gas from Tenacious D, who was here in Australia only recently and said for his birthday he hoped that next time they don't miss a shot at Trump. And so should we really be surprised that here we are sixty three days I think since the last attempt on Trump's life, there's been another one, and we've still got about fifty days to go until the next election. It's almost not a question of who will win in November, but who'll still be alive?
Speaker 9: Yeah, who'll still be standing.
Speaker 5: But can you imagine if this had been an attempt on Kamala Harris, how much more so the media would be streaming from the rooftops. I mean, in this instant it hasn't been given half as much coverage because of course it wasn't half as spectacular as a live rally, and he did actually get shot, but it was just his ear and he had fallen down. He'd just fallen down for hours and hours. The mainstream media has simply told us, well, he's fallen down. We don't know much else, And of course we saw in the following days it was just pure obfiscation from the Secret Service, from the FBI, from everybody else involved. Thankfully, Governor DeSantis, the governor in Florida, has said that the state will be carrying out its own investigation in this instance as to how on earth this could have taken place. So it will be really interesting to see what the Secret Service and everybody else comes up with versus what DeSantis's own team will come up with. Although those who have bad blood right now, but I'm sure he'll do a good job.
Speaker 9: He's a very good governor.
Speaker 5: But the big question is how long until the next attempt on Trump's life when mainstream media still insists on platforming. Like Claire mccaskell, here's what she had to say, and then you wonder why people like this shooter take it upon themselves to eliminate the problem. A lot of people have tried to draw similarities between Mussolini and Hitler and the use of the terminology like vermin and the drive that those men had towards autocracy and dictatorship.
Speaker 9: The difference, though, I think McDonald Trump even more dangerous, and that is he has.
Speaker 3: No philosophy he believes in.
Speaker 9: He is not trying to expand the boundaries in.
Speaker 3: The United States of America.
Speaker 5: He's not trying to overcome a neighboring country like Putin is in Ukraine. He is not going for some grandiose scheme of international dominance. All he wants is to look in the mirror and see a guy who's president. And even after this second attempt on Trump's life, the teen Trump is still putting up with much the same from mainstream media. Here was jd Vance talking to CNN, just trying to get a wood in edge wise and pointing out the vast dichotomy between how CNN talks to people from the Trump sorry, the Harris campaign, as opposed to the Trump campaign like himself.
Speaker 11: It's I feel Danna, and they're telling me this stuff is happening. Dana, would you like to ask me questions and then let me answer them, or would you like to debate me on these topics? I noticed that when you had Kamala Harris and Tim Waltz, you gave them multiple choice answers to the questions that you asked, and you allowed them.
Speaker 3: To answer the questions.
Speaker 11: I'm happy to hear to be here to talk about policy, but if you're going to interrupt me every single time that I open my mouth, then why am I even doing this? So please ask a question, and I'd ask you to be polite.
Speaker 3: Enough to let me answer.
Speaker 5: I just love it when they take these hosts to task and say everyone can see what you're doing. Why do you treat me so differently? And also why do you even have me on if I'm not allowed to ask the questions that I'm here to answer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the assassins, but JD Evans did not miss at all. She required medical attention after that interview. But this is a thing with conservative politicians. You've got to be able to handle an adversarial media. Otherwise just forget about going into politics. I like the way he pulled her up, but he did it very politely. Yes, he did it as a gentleman, and you can see why Trump was keen for him to be the running mate. I cannot wait for the vice presidential debate because Tim Woltz, who I know will get to in just a moment, I don't think is going to be any match for jd.
Speaker 7: Van. Well, that's it, get him on a debate stage. I mean, you know, we watched the debate last week between Trump and Harris. Harris of course, has subsequently called for a second debate. Something tells me there won't be a second debate because Harris needs it a lot more than Trump does, because she really needs to prove herself in that sort of situation. But you put him on stage with Tim Waltz and he will absolutely wipe the floor with him. This is the reason that Trump chose Jdevans because he such a good public speaker. He can demolish someone like Dana Bash there, who of course interviewed Kamala Harris, as he mentioned in that clip there, and we all saw that interview that where she had Tim Waltz there holding her hand for all of twenty six minutes. It was such a softball interview. He's saying, look how about some equality here? And speaking of Tim Waalts, he was at a rally on the weekend and well, he's got a great way he's worked out how they're going to win the election by harassing people at the supermarket.
Speaker 12: This thing's going to be a battle for the next fifty two days.
Speaker 3: It's going to be in rooms, one in rooms just like this.
Speaker 1: It's going to be one.
Speaker 12: Door to door, call the call five dollars donation, trying to have that hard conversation in the produce aisle with the person you saw there at the grocery store and ask have you voted yet?
Speaker 7: Look, I don't know, I might be an outlier, but if I am at the supermarket on a set doing my shopping and someone comes up to me and goes, have you voted yet? Are you going to vote for Kamala Harris, I'm gonna.
Speaker 1: Walk out there and go vote for Donald Trump.
Speaker 7: Like there is nothing that would turn me off more than being told in the supermarket when I'm just going about my business, have you voted yet.
Speaker 2: But it's a terrible strategy by Democrats because if you're at the grocery store and you say have you considered voting for Democrats?
Speaker 3: People will just look at the prices on the shelves and think I am totally voting for Trump.
Speaker 2: There's only one thing worse than being costed by Tim Waltz at the supermarket, and that's being accosted by his wife.
Speaker 3: Gwen.
Speaker 2: You think Kamala Harris is weird. We take a look at the vice president's or the potential vice president's wife.
Speaker 3: She is off the Rickles scale.
Speaker 9: Okay, so I he should be with me and practice with me.
Speaker 1: What are we gonna do.
Speaker 9: We're gonna turn the pay. Oh, pretty good, Jordan.
Speaker 5: Again, We're gonna turn the pay and we're going up turn the pay. All right, col I'm gonna be watching you because when I see Wisconsin and I'm one to watching National.
Speaker 9: And TV because it's in pretty important place in Minnesota. Help you practice it with this.
Speaker 3: You just show me this.
Speaker 9: Turn the page.
Speaker 1: Right, turn the page, and you know what else that looks like?
Speaker 9: Bye bye, bye bye Donald Trump.
Speaker 3: We are turning the page fifty two days and we are turn the bay fifty two days.
Speaker 9: Bye bye, Donald Trump.
Speaker 3: I just love watching Tim Wiltzson the background.
Speaker 2: He's looking at his wife like when I married you, I had no idea I'd be running for VP. And if I had known, maybe I would have chosen differently.
Speaker 5: And this is the same woman who said that during the BLM riot she opened the she could smell the chaos outside and how awesome it was, and everyone was like getting seriously weird.
Speaker 9: Vibes from this woman.
Speaker 5: Who does that to a local issue now in Queensland.
Speaker 4: Which surprisingly the media.
Speaker 5: Didn't really mention a week ago when Queensland Parliament because they know they're running out of time.
Speaker 9: It's soon that.
Speaker 5: We're all going to the ballot box if you're in Queensland, and it is probably most likely goodbye to a labor government for the first time in a long time.
Speaker 1: So it shall I put you up for a second.
Speaker 7: It's not goodbye, it's bye bye, miles, bye bye.
Speaker 1: Anyway, carry off.
Speaker 9: They've rammed through this bill called it always sounds very innocuous.
Speaker 5: It's called Respect at Work in Other Matters Amendment Bill. Yes, who doesn't want respect at work? We all want respect at work, don't we get this? This is One Nation candidate Nick Moire actually explaining what this new bill will mean coming into effect next July.
Speaker 13: Well, this is a very dark day in Australia's history, ladist and gentlemen, because this week the Respected Work and Other Matter's Amendment Bill twenty twenty four was passed in Queensland Parliament.
Speaker 3: Or what does this mean for you?
Speaker 13: Well, from now on we're going to have to police our thoughts and our speech very carefully on social media. And here is why. Any post made on social media now is deemed by this bill to be a public act, and any public act found offensive by a reasonable person of the minority community that it describes is then chargeable under section fifty two A of the Criminal Code. And these charges carry a maximum sentence of three years jail time. So as you can see, it's not hyperble to say that this bill paves the way for Queensland citizens to serve jail time for social media posts that offend minorities. This bill is the most egregious encroachment of freedom of speech that I have ever seen in Australia, and we're still This is a piece of legislation that is self protecting.
Speaker 5: This is social engineering, legislation that, in ever to belie, absolutely trashes the rights of the individual to simply say what they believe, post what they believe, express their thoughts.
Speaker 9: And feelings without worrying.
Speaker 5: Hey, if this offends someone, I'm in big trouble. Up to three years in jail for offending someone.
Speaker 9: This also ups the ante.
Speaker 5: On employers because the onus is now on them not to punish discrimination if it happens, but to prevent it from happening in.
Speaker 3: The first place.
Speaker 9: How is this even possible.
Speaker 2: Well, there's two major flaws in their thinking right. The first is they believe that they can somehow eliminate any offense and create a world where no one is ever offended. I prefer that when we believed in religion, and we believe that one day in the hereafter, God.
Speaker 3: Will perfect everything.
Speaker 2: Once you get rid of religion, then you get governments who believe they can perfect everything.
Speaker 3: Now it's impossible.
Speaker 2: It's a fantasy to have a world in which no one is ever offended.
Speaker 3: In the second floor.
Speaker 2: Is that it's desirable when you get offended you can run off to the state government and have a bit of a cry and a sook and say, well, Caleb said something mean to me and I'm offended, and the government to go to war on your behalf. That's a ridiculous sort of idea. And the other strange thing about this legislation is it's not just if you offend a person, it's if you offend a group. So I could say something to you that you are not offended by. But somebody else who's part of your identity group, whether they're a female or whether they belong to whatever other group you identify as part of. Though you haven't been offended by what I said to you, they could be offended because they identify as part of your group, which is a ridiculous breach of common sense, not to mention civil liberties.
Speaker 7: And it's the pernicious nature in which they introduce this kind of legislation, So it's buried in, as you said before, the whatever it's called, you know, and.
Speaker 3: Other matters, and.
Speaker 7: This is the other matter we're talking about here, reach and they are the most onerous workplace discrimination laws in the country. They go further than any piece of federal legislation. They go further than any other states legislation in putting the onus on the workplace to stop discrimination before it happens. Okay, so what you know the copp is now I'm just you know, broading this out from the workplace. But we now expecting the cops to go and knock on everyone's Excuse me, sir, are you likely to commit a crime today. I just want to check in before I have to come and arrest you later.
Speaker 1: I just want to know now. I mean, how is an employer.
Speaker 7: Meant to know wh a member of staff is going to do something that may or may not be discriminatory. But they hide stuff like this in legislation like that so that you don't notice that it's going on, which is why we're talking about it six days. This was passed on the tenth of Syptem. We're talking about it now six days after the fact because we hadn't heard that this was happening. I mean, you know, we're doing a national news program here, so we can't be across absolutely everything. You would have expected that the media in Queensland would have been right on top of something like this.
Speaker 1: But no, it took us nearly a week to hear that this has happened.
Speaker 7: And that's why we're talking about it tonight. And it was only last week that the federal government not only introduced its own misinformation disinformation laws, it introduced water down hate speech laws.
Speaker 1: Now, originally that was.
Speaker 7: Going to be that if you offended someone or committed hate speech quote unquote on the basis of not just race, but religion, sexuality, disability, a whole cast of things that you would have been up before the court. We just dodged that bullet. And I wrote in the Advertiser last week, thank god we dodged that bullet.
Speaker 1: But this is not going to be the end of it.
Speaker 7: Well I needn't have worried about having to wait a few months for this to come up again. It was literally happening last week. If the federal government can't do it, the states are going to do it. This is why the culture wars matter. If they ain't going to stop until they have banned anyone from saying anything. It's about redefining truth ultimately, well.
Speaker 5: On a creepy way in which they do this, as if Queenslanders would have thrown their weight behind this, and if Queenslanders would have voted for this, But no sneak it in, no media coverage, nobody even knows it's happened. They'll just be hit with it come July next year when these laws come into effect. It was Noam Chomsky who once said, and I know that he's a massive lefty, but he had some brilliant things to say. He was saying that the best way to keep people passive, to keep them silent.
Speaker 4: Is to severely restrict the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but very smartly you allow robust debate within that spectrum, thereby giving people like us the impression that there's three thinking happening.
Speaker 9: There's debate happening.
Speaker 5: No, no, the spectrum is very much restricted. So people think, oh, we have freedom of speech here, there's debate happening.
Speaker 9: This isn't China, this isn't Russia.
Speaker 5: But I would argue that the propaganda that goes on the restriction on free speech in Western countries is almost worse because we do have this idea that no, no, it's not happening here. That's something that happens under dictatorships. But really that debate that you're watching is simply reinforcing the presuppositions of the system one way or another.
Speaker 9: But it's all pointing in the same direction.
Speaker 5: Who among us in our daily lives isn't already self censoring? You would catch yourself doing it all the time if you're paying attention to the wheels of your mind every time you're like, can't say that, I hope nobody overheard that conversation that I'm just having with a friend at a cafe because that was socially unacceptable. It's just unbelievable how this is crept in year after year and now bill after bill right under people's noses without them even knowing.
Speaker 3: And when you say it's crept in a year after year.
Speaker 2: I remember, back in two thousand and four, this is twenty years ago, there was a Tri Lankan born preacher in Melbourne, Danny Nyler, who was doing a seminar for Christians in his church and he was comparing Christianity with Islam and he read from the Qoran. He just read it and people started laughing because the part he read, obviously they thought it sounded ridiculous. And he was hauled before an anti discrimination tribunal for ridiculing Islam. And all he did was he didn't tell a joke, he wasn't putting on funny voices. He simply read from the Koran. And the commissioner actually asked him, did you intend for people to laugh or did you know that people were going to laugh? And he said, how can I be responsible for the responses of other people when I simply read from a religious text.
Speaker 3: Now that was twenty years ago.
Speaker 2: It was ridiculous then, it's still ridiculous today, and yet the government continued to push these things. I imagine, however, Anthony Albanezi might like these law because he'll go and complain that he's being bullied by Elon Musk. Elon Musk, of course, posted on x that the Labor federal government were a bunch of fascists. Elon Musk commenting on the government's planned Misinformation and Disinformation Bill. In response to that, Anthony Albanese said, well, if Musk thinks that we're fascists, says more about Musk than it does about us, and so Elon Musk doubled down, tweeting far left fascists love censorship, and so today Anthony Elbanezi continued the fight, coming out with this statement. He said, Australians don't give in to bullies, or I hope Anthony Alberze goes to Queensland and complains and someone does something to protect his feelings. These tech comphanies think they're above national sovereignty. I've got to stop for a second, Caleb and Liz, is that Anthony Alberaneze talking about the importance of national sovereignty speechless I didn't know he had heard of such a term.
Speaker 9: Need to come to Jesus moment.
Speaker 3: Clearly zero sovereignty Paris agreement. Who knew they think?
Speaker 2: He continued that digital platforms should have more power than citizens do. Funny thing Albanese is trying to take away our power as citizens to say what we think.
Speaker 3: He continued.
Speaker 2: We're taking action to protect kids, that little chestnut and protect Australians and that is what people want. It's amazing And I know, Liza, you've been big on this. How Anthony Albanezi keeps conflating to I think separate issues but they are merging into one. The arbitrary age limit for kids to sign up to social media and policing misinformation and disinformation online.
Speaker 3: He was interviewed today and he was.
Speaker 2: Talking about protecting kids. That's why we need an age restriction on social media accounts and he said, because they've got to be protected from eating disorders, okay, normalizing misogyny. Yeah, and then he said, and undermining social cohesion. Do you think that many parents are worried about their twelve year old opening a Facebook account because they're thinking, oh, this is not going to be good for their part in social cohesion. He's conflating two things, which goes to something you've been saying for a while, the push to why are you smiling at me? You think I'm a Johnny company. I think two things can be true at the same time. But the fact he keeps conflating the two does make you very suspicious that the push to protect kids is really about demonizing the big tech company so he can ram through his misinformation and disinformation bill.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, it is genuinely terrifying to watch our government straight face while they've got their hate law speech that they're trying to convince everyone is very, very necessary. Meanwhile, we all know that hate speech is free speech and it just depends on the moderator, and none of us trust the government to be the moderator. They've got their hate speech laws, their misinformation disinformation laws, trying to crack down on these platforms by any means that they can possibly harness, including oh, we're doing this for the safety and protection of children. Really, you've known that this has been so detrimental for children ever since the two existed in tandem, but it was only until just a few weeks after you passed your Digital ID bill aha that it became front page news every day, relentlessly.
Speaker 9: We must protect the youth. We must protect the youth.
Speaker 5: Their agenda has never been more transparent. We've also got our e Safety Commissioner embarrassing us on the world stage, trying to take to task these tech giants.
Speaker 9: None of us surely actually believe.
Speaker 5: That the government has Australian's best interests in heart.
Speaker 9: They are all about.
Speaker 5: Controlling the narrative, because if you can't control the narrative, you can't control the people.
Speaker 9: And it's just completely out of control.
Speaker 5: If we can have freethinking people freely exchanging information and sharing their thoughts and feelings online, that is a danger to democracy.
Speaker 7: And that's why the social media age restriction came up last week.
Speaker 1: So this idea has been floating around for a while.
Speaker 7: It had been a campaign by News Corp. Dutton had got on board with the idea months ago. Albanize comes out last week and says, sure, Okay, well we're going to do it now.
Speaker 1: I don't have an age yet that I'm going to set it by.
Speaker 7: The trial that we're going to do for this thing hasn't even started yet, but I'm somehow going to have this thing ready to go by the end of the year, because of course last week he had the hate Speech Bill came up and the Misinformation Disinformation Bill come up, and so he knows, as do we all, that the idea of restricting children from social media is a popular policy, but he needs something to get the other two through, or almost sneak the other two through along with And so the conflation that we've just talked about if you build them or meld them all into one and say well, this all has to be done in one shot here, because it's all about protection, whether it's protection of the kids or protection of you from misinformation which is just stuff that the government doesn't want you to read. That is what he is going to use to ram it through. Going back to a previous point, we have to defend our right to offend. Let's go to some craziness in the green world. Now we love bringing you these stories and yet another one. Now we know that if there is a hung Parliament at the next federal election, which is likely to be early next year, the Greens has a list of demands for the federal government the Labor government if they want to get back into power, including a bunch of crazy stuff about what they need to do in terms of renewables and energy. One of the things they want is a total ban on gas will Australian Energy Producers has produced a report sorry telling us exactly what that would do to the country. They say within a decade, most industrial demand would go i met and most industrial gas users would likely cease operations due to a lack of alternative energy sources. And in the longer term there would be significant disruption and potentially shortfalls for residential and commercial gas users if this came into being, and the government would have to think long and hard about these policies if they want to retain government in a minority situation. We could be having blackouts across the instant sea board within two years. How many times have we warned you about potential blackouts because of a lack of energy in this country. The Greens would only further that, But they're getting a dose in Queensland already of what happens when you rely too much on renewable energy and you don't have enough power. You've got to get it from somewhere, right, So they're currently building a big water pipeline between Fitzroy and Gladstone, ostensibly so they can get all this water to Gladstone to be used in green hydrogen projects that are being backed by big investors like Twiky Forest. That sounds great, We're gonna get all this renewable green energy out of hydrogen. How do you think they're going to power the works to build this pipeline diesel generators? Yes, of course, because they don't have enough power to do the thing.
Speaker 1: Time and time again.
Speaker 7: In order to make this stuff work, the renewable dream days to work, you've got to use dirty power, diesel being some of the dirtiest power you can get your hands on. And it reminds me remember when South Australia was plunged into a total blackout back in twenty sixteen, I think it was twenty sixteen seventeen, and then Jay Weatherill, who was Premier at the time, rushed off to Elon Musk and said, we need to build a big battery in the outback in South Australia, which they did, and in the planning for how they would make up for energy shortfalls, because South Australia is mostly run on renewable energy, what did they do they when bought diesel generators.
Speaker 3: I mean, for heaven's sake.
Speaker 2: Well, there's problems on every side when it comes to renewables.
Speaker 3: We'll finish with this.
Speaker 2: Report from China where they're banning electric vehicles from underground car parks. Now, it's been reported that hotels have told owners of electric vehicles they cannot park underground for safety reasons because of course, if there's a fire, these hotels don't have sufficient firefighting systems to contain the fires. That there was one five star hotel that had to sign up advising patrons park in wide open spaces, which is code for if there's a fire, we don't want you anywhere near our hotel. And it's not just hotels, Liz, but ferries in Greece now are refusing to carry evs. In Norway, there's a shipping company that will not transport electric vehicles. There was a sixty thousand ton cargo ship taking four hundred vehicles from Germany to.
Speaker 3: The United States.
Speaker 2: It's sunk after vehicles started catching fire.
Speaker 3: It's a major problem.
Speaker 2: But if you're going to buy a Tesla and go to a hotel in China, they will not allow you to park underground because it's just too much of a risk. No east scooters or e bikes under the hotel either. That's all on that.
Speaker 3: Part of things.
Speaker 2: But we're going to go to a break and after the break come back with what's making news in the papers, including some good news about parking.
Speaker 3: Fins that's coming up in just a moment.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's take a look at tomorrow's papers and Liz, we've got a good news story for us.
Speaker 5: We sho the front page of Daily Telly Sneaky councils cop ban on ticketless parking fines.
Speaker 3: That's the ticket.
Speaker 5: Greedy councils will be banned from issuing sneaky ticketless parking fines as the state government steps up to stop unsuspecting drivers getting stung without the chance of disputing the penalties and a win for murtorists and common sense. New South Wales Finance Minister Courtney Whosos will legislate to effectively ban ticketless parking fines after greedy councils raked in one hundred and fifty five million via these in visible fines the last year alone. Thank goodness, common sense is prevailing. This was always unfair and remember when Premier Min's was like, all right, you lot cut it out. Fines have to be proper fines. They have to be on the windshield otherwise they didn't happen, and the council has just completely ignored him.
Speaker 9: So legislateated is.
Speaker 3: This is not good news for everybody.
Speaker 2: There are council treasurers all over New South Wales thinking.
Speaker 3: How are we going to afford those pride flags?
Speaker 2: How are we going to pay for all those bike lanes we were counting on this revenue. So they'll be sad, but everyone else very pleased and it's the right thing to It's ridiculous here's going to find and have no opportunity to dispute it at all.
Speaker 7: Of course it's the right thing to do, but you know, it reminds me again.
Speaker 1: I know, I bang this drum all the time.
Speaker 7: But councils only have powers because state governments give them powers, and so in cases like this, the state government has to step in and till the council what they can and can't do. I'll give you a little tip. They wouldn't have to do that if they just abolished the councils and subsumed all their powers, take every single one of their powers away and it'll fix a lot of the problem.
Speaker 9: Dream and the dream, Caylee.
Speaker 1: I know I am working on it.
Speaker 7: I know I could spend my whole life farting.
Speaker 3: But here's the flaw in your plan.
Speaker 2: Which local government minister is going to cancel all local governments and then he's no longer in the ministry.
Speaker 1: A brave one, A brave one.
Speaker 7: You know. He's a local government minister who if I had the money, I'd give him a job for life after doing Matt.
Speaker 2: Let's go to the Canberra Times, where they've got a great IT story. Now at Sky and News, our IT department a phenomenal but for many workplaces, the it are always the bane of everybody's existence. Well, Defense have got a problem with their IT department because well they've got a fairly major cost blowout. Defense one point five billion dollar blowout, reads their headline. A project to modernize the back office its stems for the Department of Fence will cost a lazy one point five billion dollars more than the upper limit of its initial budget and stretch out to twenty thirty despite the project originally scheduled to wrap.
Speaker 3: Up by next year.
Speaker 2: So how was the IT Department at Defense doing all. Aside from being five years overtime and one point five billion dollars over budget, they're doing pretty well. The original cost of this project, the article says, was meant to be somewhere between one billion and two billion, which is quite an amazing cost estimate that seems to be to be fairly elastic.
Speaker 5: How bad was it that an update is costing that much?
Speaker 9: What were you doing just shuffling papers around?
Speaker 3: So the upper limit was two billion, it's going to be what now three point five?
Speaker 7: How does this happen? We've had a number of stories like this in recent weeks. Another one out of Canberra where a government department had said some project was going to come in under budget and then it came in actually forty fifty million.
Speaker 1: Dollars over budget.
Speaker 7: We had a story from the Adelaide Hills Council in Adelaide where they had forecast a budget surplus and then they came back with a big deficit when they finally got at the end of the financial year. You know, forty fifty million, You go, jeez, that's big numbers. How do you go one and a half billion dollars over budget? That's not just oh, we sort of got this a little bit wrong. That is, we got it so catastrophically wrong that you could not imagine anyone getting something that wrong.
Speaker 1: I set up before.
Speaker 7: But can you imagine walking into the CEO's office at any private business and saying, so, you wanted an update on the IT system upgrade? So, oh yes, yes, how's it going. How's the budget looking? Look, it's all on track. Don't worry about it. It's just going to be one and a half billion dollars over budget. You wouldn't have a job tomorrow.
Speaker 3: But in the public ser no problem, okay.
Speaker 2: If you're describing my weekly grocery experiences.
Speaker 7: I just don't understand how people keep getting away with it. Will anyone be sacked?
Speaker 1: Probably not.
Speaker 7: I may as well go and joining the public service, have a job for life. The Australian tomorrow SOS fury at funding for hate speech groups. Now we finally know what the government's the federal government's doing with all that money. They could have given another one and a half billion if they hadn't been spending it on the IT Department of Defense organizations giving a platform to figures with controversial views such as those that killed such as sorry, such as those killed in the October seven attack were not innocent, have received taxpayer funding under an Albanesi government program. The fifty million dollar Securing Faith Based Places grant program was holsted after the October seven terror attack. Again, someone in a government department somewhere is dolling out this money. Do they not do their due diligence?
Speaker 9: Clearly not.
Speaker 7: We are talking about not their money, our money, taxpayers money. No one is taking any notice of how it's spent or where it's spent, whether it be in defense on the IT system or money that's grants for religious organizations. Are just handing it at willy nilly basic.
Speaker 9: And it was just last.
Speaker 5: Week also on the front page of the OS we were talking about that one of the hate preachers in Western Sydney who had been invited to apply for part of a two point four billion dollar grant by the government. Oh, would you like some of that role up, Just submit your application. These are people who should not be receiving a cent of our taxpayer dollar. And yet here's a second instance in the space of a week.
Speaker 2: So the Albanezi government is worried about social cohesion and yet they're dolling out millions of taxpayer dollars to organizations that are creating divisiveness and sprouting violent retric One of the organizations, according to this report, that's getting money from the government to beef up their own security is the Australian Islamic House, which hosted a speaker who said that the the one thy four hundred Israelis killed on October seven were not innocent, but they'd provoked Palestinians by stealing their land and also referred to modern Israel as sorry to Israel, as modern day Nazis. So they're saying all this sort of stuff which is clearly creating fear and angst in the Jewish community, but they get government money to beef up their own security.
Speaker 12: Yep.
Speaker 2: And just on that, we keep hearing, you know, anti Semitism and Islamophobia that they're both a problem. Yet to really see much evidence of rampant Islamophobia in this country, but anti Semitism, there's a new example we could bring you every single night. So for the government money to be doled out as if they're both equally problematic seems to me a little disingenuous.
Speaker 7: Yeah, And in a case like this deserves ministerial intervention. But we know that Labor is worried about Muslim votes, particularly in Western Sydney, so something they there won't be any ministerial intervention while we're on these matters. Also says on the of the Els tomorrow, US urges Australia over UN Israel vote. The Albanezi government is facing US pressure to reject a draft UN resolution by the Palestinian Authority demanding an immediate Israeli withdrawal from Gaza and the West Bank and sanctions against the Jewish State. Now, of course the Palestinian authority would want that. The fact that Australia would be thinking of voting in favor of something like this is just outrageous. Okay, like every other war that has ever happened. What happens when you just you know, pull out wholess bowlus and walk away from it, Well, you leave things behind, you open a vacuum. We already know Hamas is in control in Gaza. It's just an invitation to say, oh, keep going on your merry way. Like sure, you might say, we would like to see a potential end date to this war, but you can't run around, say just walk out and expect everything's going to.
Speaker 3: Be fair, and are we forgetting something hostages? There's about one hundred hostages still in Gaza.
Speaker 2: So Palestine become honorary members or whatever of the United Nations and within four months. This is the kind of rubbish they come up with. This is why most people thought they should never be part of the UN in the first place. Anyway, we're going to go to a break when we come back. Would you pay people to exercise on your behalf? Doesn't really make sense, does it? And yet people are doing it. We'll talk about that in just a moment. Well, we're often amazed at the lengths people will go to in order to impress others, but this, honestly is next level. You may have heard of the exercise app Strava. You use it to track and then share with other people your run or you're cycling, and I've got it, surprised to find you in the ad break.
Speaker 3: Even Caleb's got.
Speaker 2: Strava surprise that I wasn't sure you could get the Strava for drinking glasses of wine.
Speaker 3: Here's the deal.
Speaker 2: There's this expression, if it's not on Strava, it didn't happen. So it's very important to track your run or your bike ride and then post it so everyone can see how athletic and how disciplined you are.
Speaker 3: Well, there's a new trend where people are paying.
Speaker 2: Others to do the run or do the cycle for them and then upload it to their Strava. So I guess it's a way of sleeping in until ten, but all your work colleagues think you're incredibly focused and incredibly disciplined. Gill from the UK is calling himself a Strava mule and he thought, he says, I thought, I've got some time on my hands.
Speaker 3: I'd love to go for a cycle ride.
Speaker 2: It'd be great for someone to pay enough for my coffee, my drink and my banana afterwards. So he started advertising on air tasker, Hey, if you'd like me to do your ride for you, and then you can upload it as.
Speaker 3: If you've done it, and people are paying him to do alievable. It's all social credit, right.
Speaker 2: You get no physical benefit from paying someone else to exercise on your behalf.
Speaker 7: But imagine that level of vanity that I need people to think I'm doing this level of exercise.
Speaker 1: Someone to do it for me. They say, don't believe everything you see online. This is just the ultimate case of that.
Speaker 2: Surely, I've got to tell you quickly. I was found unconscious riding my bike. I came off it and so the ambulance picked me up. They rushed me to hospital. I was unconscious right but after it all I checked my Strava. I was doing one hundred and thirty five k's and no one knew it was in the back of an ambulance.
Speaker 3: They just thought I had a great tail with it.
Speaker 9: They got to be like, this guy is incredible.
Speaker 5: Just before we leave each tonight, a guy by the name of Ron Buke. He's a dog walker and he's been fined by his local counsel. Some Karen's been on his case for walking ten dogs. Apparently this is against the law in this particular Council of Port Philip. Ron says, I've been walking dogs for over twenty years.
Speaker 9: And I've never had an issue.
Speaker 5: I've noticed in the last year or two Port Philip has been cracking down on us dog walkers. I think they're just a bit short of money and it's just a grab for cash. They literally took him to the magistrates court He was fined for nine hundred and sixty dollars.
Speaker 9: Which he got reduced in court. Good on your ran.
Speaker 5: Apparently you're not allowed to walk more than seven dogs without a permit.
Speaker 9: What is the world coming to? It's an off dog, it's an off Lee show.
Speaker 7: How do they come up with a number of seven dogs?
Speaker 1: Anyway?
Speaker 7: Look the one place in the world where they don't have these rules, I'm sure Springfield, Ohio would be.
Speaker 5: Beating the door.
Speaker 3: That's it from us. We've got to go, but stick around.
Speaker 2: Coming up is the reader Penn issue.