Speaker 1: At pod Shape Production. Welcome to season two of The Chills. It's the spooky story podcast that's hard to believe unless, of course, it happened to you. Now I've had to take a little season break because we needed more of your stories. If you've got a story that you'd love to share, then email us at the Chills at podshape dot com. That's the Chills at podshape dot com. Now you don't have to come on the show. You can simply send us a message and we can share your story with the world. Some people don't want to tell their stories because they think they'll be laughed at for being a bit weird or a little nuts, and that's what Kath thought when she emailed us. She hadn't told anyone this story for that very reason, where.
Speaker 2: I was really deliberating on whether to top fifteen or not. But I just thought, you know what, I'll give it a go. I buddy told close family friends and they all like me, so I.
Speaker 1: Can confirm Kath is not nuts, but her story will blow you away. It all started, like all spooky stories do, when Kath was just a kid.
Speaker 2: I grew up with a town called kaw Am in New South Wales, and it's on the outer skirts of Sydney and basically in the used to be an old railway town and so I think I was in them and hundreds or something like that, and our house was it was an old two bedroom fibro house and it was actually owned by my great grandfather. I think it was then passed on to my grandfather and then my parents. They purchased it off my grandfather in around about nine eighty I think it was ninety seven. When we were all little, there was a lot of strange things going on, and I really don't like to go some bit news about to talking about it. So when I was a little child, we just experienced things like footsteps, flickering, lights going on the off side positions like that, radios used to go off. There was coughing another rooms, there was some loud banging on the walls, and things just used to go missing. And sometimes. Yeah, it used to scare me as a kid, but I thought this was completely normal, and I thought it happened to everyone else. So some of them scared me, some of them didn't.
Speaker 1: So it does sound like you normalized it, like the way you were describing that, it sounds like, oh, yeah, everyone would have had these strange apparitions walking through their house at night, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yep, absolutely, Because that was only a little when I was really young, like later on, I knew that they were goes. I need until I grew up and thought that's what it was. But I just thought it was normal. So when I was really little, I think I was about six years old, I used to I shared a bedroom with my sister, and it was in the front room, and I must have known. I must have known that this was a normal occurrence because I used to land my bed and I used to face the door, and I knew that they would come and they meaning just the heads of these people. And what I mean by just their heads and bodies, like at ground high.
Speaker 1: Talking, the heads are on almost on the floor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So as you lay on the bed and you look and you're facing out, you just see the heads and the shoulders of these people. And I was only really little.
Speaker 1: Okay, carry on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So when I'm so strange, I used to see these people and they used to come past me and then they disappear behind my bed heads, And so I knew that they weren't like me, because there was women with bonnets on. There were sometimes men with long beds. There was laughing children, sometimes some of them were baby some of them were smiling, some of them scoured at me, and some of them were even crying. But I remember actually being scared of some of them. But I did remember that the clothes they were wearing weren't like mine. So they had like peter Pan collars, they had funny hair styles, they had braces on, so I did know that those people didn't look like what. Yeah, as a child, I must have known that.
Speaker 1: Anyway, it sounds like these heads that kath is talking about, dressed in olden day garb from the past. It sounds like the sort of clothes that people might wear in the eighteen hundreds.
Speaker 2: I didn't make the connection at the time, but later on I did, of course, because I didn't really talk about it, because I just thought this happened to everybody. As a kid, I thought it was I just.
Speaker 3: Thought it was normal.
Speaker 2: So sometimes some of them would be really scary. So I just rut into my parents' room, and I slept with my parents a lot, so I'd run into their room and jump into their bed pretty much every night because probably because of this happening AnyWho. So I've run in this one night and there was a massive man standing in the doorway. While I was little, so he looked huge to me. So he was standing running front of me, and I thought I must have known that he was see through or something. So I just ran straight through him, and as I turned around, it was like he just dissipated. And I know, and I really rude. Yeah, I know, Like I thought that was normal. I thought that was what everybody thought. So I jump in the parents' bed and I'd be in the middle of them because I was all nice and sniggy and cozy in face. And then I would just see all these cups and sauces flying around the room, and sometimes I'd reach out and try and grab them. And I never like mom and dad up, and I never really spoke about it because I just thought they happened to everybody.
Speaker 1: These cups and sauces, the pots and pans. They're not there though, right, No, I knew that.
Speaker 2: They were see through, so I was trying to reach out and grab them.
Speaker 1: If that first part of the story hasn't yet given you the chills, maybe this next bit will. As Kath gets older, she starts to put the pieces together.
Speaker 2: All these strange occurrences have only recently going to make sense to me. And it started with my dad. Now, he was an Irish immigrant from Ireland officy, and he came out in his twenties, and so obviously they bought the house. And I did pass these memories of as a child because he'd always tell these fairy tales and ghost stories, and he came from a fairly grounded background in superstitions, and they believed in legends and folklore and letoicorns and Misterio feruitions, and he was just so fascinated with the mysteries and UFOs and time travel and inexplicable then, and we always roll ourrise and think it was nuts. One night, when I was about eight years old, my siblings and I were all away for the night, including months, except that he had to work because he was a shift worker on the tollway and he was staying in the house and he don't so he was suddenly woken up at two am by a really loud party going on. But looking back now I don't he was talking. That was a different sort of party. Anyway, I'll explain later. So after starting in turning for about fifteen minutes, and this is going on for quite some time, he tells of a band playing really loud music, but because being he said, it sounded like an Irish band, and there was clinking glasses and lots of yelling and raucous laughter. So he decided to get up, and so he crankly stormed out in the kitchen to peek through the curtains, expecting to see some raty teenagers never breaking bottles on the road and drinking and lasted a round. But as soon as he reached the curtain and he twipp the pulls back to shout at them, it suddenly stopped. It stops like there's nothing. There's absolutely no sounds. It was actually definitely quiet, and he thought, well, I thought to the next day he went out to the shed to mow the lawn and there on the perth way he was just fresh ting on the ground. I sicknot. He picked it up, and I think it was from around about the year eighteen to fifty, and it was just lying there and he couldn't believe it.
Speaker 3: And he said he'd.
Speaker 2: Forgotten about the party of the night before, and he didn't make any connections, but later later he did obviously, so we all thought he was bonkers, but he swore this was to be true. And yes I have, I've actually seen that penny he still got years later, he's still got the pair. I've got the fact since part so I've actually got the penny somewhere in his coin collection. So years later we were speaking to a very old lady and she has a very old residents and lived down the road, and it was rumored to be where our house was built. There used to be an old tabn hotel with a seller, and a yard was actually where they tied up the horses. So I thought calam being a really old railway town, I guess there would have been a few travelers and workers warning a few years after work and yearn with fakes and the soft bet before heading on through to the Hawkstree. But I researched this, and I went to the local libraries, I went googling. I actually I never found out if it was true or not. There's actually no proof that there actually ever was a pat with any accommodation, but it makes sense to me seeing all the heads and maybe the lad maybe the party going on that he heard in the middle of the night. So the weirdest thing, as it turns out, with a house being bought and sold a few times and it has been renovated, and someone I know discovered that the current owner had ripped up the kitchen fall and this reveals some really old newspapers like Lino. It's always offline up always has old newspapers in it, so that's nothing fantastic. But they discussed it actual gaping whole underneath, and it looks to be a big, deep bunker, they said. And they said it actually looked like an old wine cellar.
Speaker 3: And I was just when my brother told me they like no way, he goes, yeah, way, and I'm like, but how good that they didn't They couldn't possibly know us, or they couldn't possibly make it up because they didn't know us, we didn't know them, and they.
Speaker 2: Had no idea who lived there prior or anything like that. And I actually don't have the courage knock on the door to ask these people if you've got a bunker under men you.
Speaker 1: Have, if you've got a story that could give us the chills, then we'd love to hear it. Email us at the chill at podshape dot com. We'll see you next time for more spooky stories.