Speaker 1: Live from Newcastle. This is Paul Murray live our town.
Speaker 2: Welcome beautiful Newcastle.
Speaker 3: Well what a great crowd you know everyone alle Why don't it set to your website?
Speaker 4: A great go ahead tonight.
Speaker 2: I can't wait to show.
Speaker 4: You everything from well watching the footing Gordius. Now, Mark, how are you great man? How long have you been around Newcastle?
Speaker 2: And why are you love it? So? He is?
Speaker 5: Love the beaches and all the old buildings and the beaches and things like.
Speaker 2: That's the top play some restaurants.
Speaker 4: When you go to the beach, do you wear the budgie smuggling my lantern? Come on, get them out, go see you? Hello mate, lovely to see you all right, So what what's your name?
Speaker 2: And how long have you been in and around this joint in my whole life? What do you love about Newcastle? Just beaches? We used to have that was great.
Speaker 4: Don't start the supercars debates? Sorry, all right, cool, lovely to see you. Thank you again for everyone for coming along. We have got a great night in one of the great.
Speaker 2: Cities of Australia. You are going to love it. Every single minute we have for you tonight.
Speaker 4: But as always, we'd like to tell you about the news that is in and around. In fact, here is some of what you're going to see tonight here in Newcastle.
Speaker 6: They told me this was electric and it is, but I'm still me.
Speaker 3: He's going for a walk on the beds.
Speaker 4: It's gonna be fun, pedal powered whale watching and a whole lot more. We here, of course at the Earth Distillery, which is a spectacular location for.
Speaker 2: Functions in the way to hang out here in Newcastle.
Speaker 4: Now, before we get to what we've done over this incredible weekend, let's talk about some of the news that is around. It's been cold, no giant surprise, it's winter, but it is particularly cold, and in fact in parts of New South Wales and in the act it is recorded.
Speaker 2: Cold right now.
Speaker 4: In fact, we told you last week that Golbert was colder than Antarctica. Going into last week they were minus ten when the station in Antarctica was minus eight and a half. Well, now we're in a scenario where June has been the coldest month of winter in now nearly twenty years in parts of you said Wales. Canberra is getting ready for one of the coldest nights it's had in a long time in living memory. Weatherzone has confirmed today that Canberra's minimum temperatures have averaged just minus two and a half degrees in June and they are expected to get a little frostier.
Speaker 2: And go towards minus three.
Speaker 4: The combined averages in and around June has made it the coldest June since records began in nineteen thirty nine. So if you have been annoying family members with Jesus and this winter cold, yes, officially and of course to the good people of Canberra. Now also I want everyone to get rather excited because you know, when Australia has wonderful moments of success on the global stage, we need to sell a okay, and this show is about celebrating Australian success. And I believe that we should get ready for another Olympian style parade up the main drag of.
Speaker 2: Every single city in this country.
Speaker 4: Why because it has been finally confirmed and plays around of applause. Australia now has one million public servants.
Speaker 2: We did it, We did it.
Speaker 3: One million public servants. How good is that?
Speaker 4: Think of all the clipboards, think of all the coffees. Well, Australia now has a million bureaucrats that according to the nine newspapers this weekend. This is despite federal and state governments vowing to find new ways to lift productivity and encourage the private sector to get the economy growing.
Speaker 2: You.
Speaker 4: Figures out from the far right wing think tank the Australian Bureau of Statistics, released on Thursday, tell us that nine hundred and ninety thousand people are directly employed during May in public administration.
Speaker 2: Again, please, what a achieved? Paying for it?
Speaker 3: You're paying for it? I mean, that's fantastic.
Speaker 2: Oh, what a joy.
Speaker 4: Honestly, congratulations to everyone. And of course the Treasure is getting ready for his productivity summit in the next few weeks. And if only there was an idea about reducing Oh that's right, the election happened, didn't, so that isn't going to be happening anytime soon. Meantime, people working in the private sector, guess what. The majority say that they are currently underpaid and they want pay rises of up to twenty percent. Almost three in five or fifty eight percent of people spoke in this survey, presumably by the Ponds Institute.
Speaker 2: I don't know until I know the reference. That's what I'll always say.
Speaker 4: Australians believe they're not being paid enough appropriately and they want higher salaries are justified, particularly what they bring to the role and the duties that's required them. According to new research, fifty eight percent hands up who thinks they're being paid enough. I just want to double check. I thought that might be the case.
Speaker 3: So I don't know who.
Speaker 4: Was lying in this survey, But to whoever was sucking up to the boss, you're not helping. Okay, unless it's one hundred center people saying that they want a pay rise, then clearly it's not what people will think in the.
Speaker 2: Private or public sectors.
Speaker 4: Something that we never talk about enough in Australia is food supply and food security. I know there's plenty of people in the audience who would think about this over times, but we learn that in the age of Trump, when we are talking about things like military spending, and the military spending is the only way that we can keep ourselves safe, regardless of what the threat be, be it a friend or foe. Where we get our food from matters. Let me explain a little further here Today a bloke from the a n Z and what a business card he's got. The head of Institutional Food beverage and agriculture. What a business card said that Australia particularly is starting to rely upon imports, mostly from places like China in the Middle East. We're talking, of course, about things like food for more than ninety percent of our fertilizer.
Speaker 2: As well as our herbicides and pesticides.
Speaker 4: Australia also is importing a surprising amount of food, including half of all pig meat eaten in Australia is imported. Much of our processed foods, the ingredients for manufactured foods such as bakery mixes, tin tomatoes, cooking oils and frozen seafood. It goes on here to say, among other things, that it's pretty important because the entire food supply chain matters. We have to look at our biggest vulnerabilities and where the inputs are. On the food side, the Australian dairy production continues to decline or imports are continuing to increase. Are we prepared to put up with increasing reliance on imports when vulnerabilities and trade shocks may take place? Now, if you're in the room, have a look at a big screen. If you're at home, keep doing what you're doing now.
Speaker 2: Because have a look at this.
Speaker 4: Almost twenty percent of all fruit and beach in Australia is imported into the country. About fifteen percent of our processed foods. You can see things like soft soft drink, seafood and dairy. Where does it all come from? All right, I can tell you the biggest source of stuff that we get into the country food wise is New Zealand, followed by the United States. Good to see there's no trade war happening there, Singapore, China, what could be wrong with that?
Speaker 2: And of course Thailand.
Speaker 4: Now speaking of the President of the United States, he said, quite the week. You may recall the F bomb that was being dropped while real bombs were ending in the twelve day war between Israel and Iran. Now, in fact, let's just relivet that moment because I like swearing on television. We basically have two countries that have been fading so long and so hard that.
Speaker 3: They're don't know what they're doing.
Speaker 2: Yes, I love when he says it, more F bombs in politics, more F bombs in politics.
Speaker 4: In terms of his actual agenda, pretty big stuff happened in the past couple of days.
Speaker 2: The big beautiful bill.
Speaker 4: Now Trump being Trump has decided not to do things issued by issue. He threw it all together in a weird mishmash. It has made it through the Senate to Republicans voted against it, so that's made it through.
Speaker 2: And then the Supreme Court made quite.
Speaker 4: The decision on the weekend, which was that no longer could a local judge stop what the federal government is trying to do. Now again, if it's a president, you like, yay. If it's a president you don't. It's a big change. As for Republican Bacus on CNN, they say times are great.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 8: All a lot of Republicans are saying is nope, We're not tired of winning.
Speaker 1: Yet this happened.
Speaker 2: The stock markets at a record high.
Speaker 4: He brokeer the ceasefire in the Twelve Day War, his peace broke out between Rwanda and the Congo.
Speaker 1: I mean the gas.
Speaker 2: Prices are at a four year low for the summer.
Speaker 5: I mean, win after win after win, and this particular one is the most important.
Speaker 4: It's the most important.
Speaker 2: Not so excited of people on the left.
Speaker 4: This was MSNBC and their concerns about the court decision.
Speaker 9: Imagine Donald Trump wants to do something illegal to you ali Velshi.
Speaker 2: Imagine that he wants to murder you. He wants.
Speaker 4: Let's talk about Newcastle and this beautiful part of Australia. Of course, just about ninety minutes up the road from Sydney Town, but it is a world unto itself.
Speaker 2: You can see that from Brizzy.
Speaker 4: It's about seven hundred and sixty nine cas Port Mcquarie up the road the Hunter Valley, where so many people make the most of both winter wonderland.
Speaker 2: And also Christmas time.
Speaker 4: Well, Newcastle is a spectacular joint where you can catch away at Merriweather Beach or have a dip at Nobbies. You can cheer on the knights at McDonald Jones Stadium, and of course you can take a plunge in the legendary ocean pools.
Speaker 1: There are spot dolphins.
Speaker 4: The Nobby Lighthouse is also a beautiful thing that you can ride up to walk, take plenty of beautiful photos of and a little late it tonight, I'm going to talk about some of the great stories in and around this proud part of Australia, and of course plenty of things to see at the Newcastle Museum, about one hundred and seventy six thousand people live here. The median age is thirty seven, and apart from being born in Australia, there are many people who will come from England. You will also notice that there are plenty of people who over the past few days have been wearing a beanie, particularly in rugby league world.
Speaker 2: That's, of course because.
Speaker 4: The Beanie for Brain Cancer campaign, which has been going for many years, is one that actually started because of what had happened to a member of the Newcastle Knights. Mark Hughes runs the Mark Hughes Foundation. Danny Bederus is a legend around these parts and I was pleased enough to say that, despite the fact that the Australian Institute of Sport has declared me an UNCO and an UNCO for life, I still was allowed into the Knight's dressing room to talk about this incredible idea. Mark and Danny, thank you for letting a fat UNCO bloke into the inner sanctum of the Knights.
Speaker 1: Love you to see you.
Speaker 2: Congratulations on what you've been able.
Speaker 4: To put together. Mark, I mean this is now nine years in. It's a phenomenon, but it's a phenomenon that has very much a personal story. How do you feel seeing beanies all over the rugby.
Speaker 8: League world very proud. It's really great to see the NURL community at Larst right across Australia all getting behind our beanies. And I think from sitting in these sheds with blokes like this twenty or thirty years ago, to be still sitting together fighting a new cause, and that's brain cancer. It's really special. And a lot of my teammates are just right behind me all the way in this, and they do so much, so it's a team effort, you know. It really is a team effort.
Speaker 4: So your boys of course become your brothers, and the brothers are here to help. But how did we settle on the beanie as the way to get the word out and to get some coin.
Speaker 8: It was pretty easy. During when I was getting my treatments, I was wearing a beanie and I just thought, you know, beanie and brain cancer really rolls off the tongue well. So we decided to get some schools to wear their favorite beanie and bring a gold coin. They had fun doing that, and we decided to design our own beanies and it sort of went from there. So it's been a great journey. We now designed two beanies every year and we've been doing it for about ten years.
Speaker 6: You know, it's amazing, Daddy.
Speaker 4: You probably didn't even need to be asked to say yes to get in behind it. Tell us about this bloke and the admiration you have for him as a bloke who's been able to fight it and beat it, which is crazy.
Speaker 8: Yeah, a lot of memories on the field, a lot of memories off the field. Lived together for a lot of years, grew up together, so I know him pretty well. And to see the effects he's had in the community, in the Bran cancer community is just very very inspiring.
Speaker 2: Such a humble man.
Speaker 8: But you know, you go through the figures, what's what he's done in the community and the legacy he's creating and leaving is enormous.
Speaker 6: So yeah, it's.
Speaker 8: A family then Bay for our wife Eran Boots and all as well.
Speaker 2: It's married to it.
Speaker 8: Yeah, even if you.
Speaker 6: Want to get away, it wouldn't be a good look if I quit.
Speaker 2: I don't think any wanted to forgive you.
Speaker 10: A great lok.
Speaker 4: But but also it's a thing mark where because it is such a difficult and scary thing for people to think about in the diagnosis. Those reading some of the stats before about the incredible number of people who get diagnosed with brain cancer where it's every few hours in.
Speaker 2: Australia is pretty wild.
Speaker 4: It's not just what you've been able to do when it comes to the beatings, but it's your personal.
Speaker 2: Health story as well, because the.
Speaker 6: Diagnosis can be a lot shorter.
Speaker 2: Than the life you've been able to live.
Speaker 4: What does that mean to you about the importance of trying to make sure that this becomes a symbol of hope as well.
Speaker 8: Yeah, well, I certainly I'm getting a wonderful run at this, Like I'm so grateful for you to be healthy and fit and feeling great, whereas I meet so many others that just don't get the opportunities that I get. Families are getting torn apart, and during the burning around you hear a lot about them and it's heartbreaking. So that inspires me to keep going, to keep the research going so that we can find the answer to this problem. So it's job not done. But there's certainly a lot of great stuff that's happened.
Speaker 4: So give us an example about how many years and like the best part of a minion beanies, how does it helped someone.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 8: Firstly, when I started this journey, there was zero researchers of brain cancer around town. Now at the moment, we've got twenty four researchers at the Marqus Foundation Brain Cancer Center here in Newcastle. We've got one hundred researchers across Australia, all connected and wighed int to this. So we've got a hundred researchers, all collaborating, teamwork, working together to try and crunch this problem. So that's first and foremost. Our brain cancer care nurses are absolutely unbelievable. They work in Newcastle and regional New South Wales and what they did for the families, what they do for the patients, there's so much more than a nurse.
Speaker 6: So we're very proud of that.
Speaker 4: So now I wanted to ask you about the town, about Newi and what it means to you outside of this weekend. You represented it, It's loved you, you love it back. But why do you love it so much?
Speaker 8: Well, for so many reasons why I love Newcastle. I went from two hours up the road in Tai so I'm mid North Coast boy. But I moved down here when I was fifteen, so I understood very quickly, especially with the sporting realm and rugby league, what the town and the team means to each other, the synergy along it. We're a blue collar town, we're a blue collar footy team. We're a hard working footy team, hardworking town.
Speaker 6: And when the team's.
Speaker 2: Going well, the town's going well. When the town's going well, the team's going well.
Speaker 8: So it just keeps going. And you know, it's a privilege, a privilege have played for the Nights. I learned early from ninety ninety seven when the Knights won the competition. I was just a kid coming through.
Speaker 2: I wasucky enough to be around it.
Speaker 8: I go, wow, I wouldn't mind doing that one day and every waking, sleeping minute, Okay, could just work harder to fulfill that sort of that hope and that journey. In two thousand and one we did it, so Jill.
Speaker 2: Premiership winner here.
Speaker 8: So and I learned how to party in ninety ninety seven.
Speaker 2: I was going to say, nineteen ninety seven's party.
Speaker 4: They should build a statue to it somewhere, but I don't know whether it should be standing up all.
Speaker 6: Yeah, who floating?
Speaker 2: Could be floating? Correct?
Speaker 3: How long when you win a Green's final in this city.
Speaker 2: How long before you have to buy a beer?
Speaker 8: I bought my first beer last week. Look, we put the whole town parted. Particularly the first one ninety seven was a shock. We've never seen it before, and it was amazing to get in two thousand and one. But the first one, you know, we've never seen this before, this type of success, and the way the town embraced it and got beound it behind it and we all partied and had fun. That's what it's about, isn't it. Yeah, And then we got to do it again in two thousand and one, so we fought every three or four years, this will be fun. We'll do this every couple of years.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 8: And unfortunately since two thousand and one we haven't held up that silverware, so we've.
Speaker 6: Got to be getting close.
Speaker 4: But you're about to pull the panthers where you'll win like nine in a row, so it'll make up for on a run. Yeah, for all of that time. Let's thank you so much, Congress to what you do. Your story of inspiration when it comes to your health is amazing, and Danny, that's what mates do.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Thank you.
Speaker 8: Much.
Speaker 3: You Janny Bders you can buy these stilled.
Speaker 2: It in foundation dot com dot a year. You can get them from lows, Willies and I GA. But now I'm going to get all oprah on you because.
Speaker 6: You get a beanie, you get a beanie.
Speaker 2: Let's see if we can go all the way. You get a beanie and you get a beanie. D league.
Speaker 3: Love you two jalem. All right, let's go whale watching and make.
Speaker 2: The most of the magnificen Stockton Beech.
Speaker 4: Winter in Newcastle is spectacular, not just to food, the restaurants plenty fireplaces, but right here on the water is the gateway.
Speaker 2: To the great experience of whale watching.
Speaker 4: It is peak season humpback whales moving from south to north, and there's only one way to watch it, which is to get out there and have a look at these incredible creatures.
Speaker 3: Come on, come on.
Speaker 7: So at the moment we're definitely in peak season.
Speaker 1: Without a doubt. So that June July.
Speaker 7: They were a little bit late to start this year, but they've certainly come in massive numbers.
Speaker 6: So why are they always coming up?
Speaker 4: Why do they play?
Speaker 2: What are they doing?
Speaker 11: Look?
Speaker 7: When they breach, there's a number of things they can breach for possibly play exactly. Communication is massive one like when they're communicating to wailes further out, and also to clean themselves of barnacles and any of that thing that would restrict their great flow through the water.
Speaker 6: And the size give you them obviously, you see them all.
Speaker 2: You see babies all the way through.
Speaker 1: But how big do they grow? How big are they look?
Speaker 7: A fully grown female can be up around sixteen meters forty ton. Our boat here today's about twelve meters and fully loaded seven ton. Wow, you can kind of tell that when you're filling this up with bolt that's a big whale.
Speaker 4: It's even better than you think it's gonna be to be this close to these incredible animals, because these animals are just unbelievable to see with your own eyes. You've got to do this anytime you come to Newe.
Speaker 2: And speaking of.
Speaker 12: Wales, let's watch one on a bee.
Speaker 6: Stockton Beach is legendary.
Speaker 4: The sands go as far as repleashing the beaches in Hawaii, so bugg are going that far.
Speaker 3: Come here just outside of Newcastle and this is how you can get around a natural wonder. This is do for a walk on the beach.
Speaker 4: Well, Becky, you don't just have the best office in Newcastle, You've got probably the best in the state. The two is such a wonderful way of being able to see what is an incredible natural phenomenon.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 13: It's the largest moving sand mass in the Southern Hemisphere. It can be three kilometers at its widest and it's almost forty kilometers in length.
Speaker 4: So in all of the time you've been here, you've seen plenty of changes.
Speaker 2: So no two weeks are the same.
Speaker 13: No two weeks are the same. And there's a weather event coming so next week it'll be completely different again.
Speaker 2: Wow, I think we should ride some more though.
Speaker 14: I think so, Yes, yes, I do this for a job. Now, where's Beigau big Al.
Speaker 2: There he is.
Speaker 3: You can see him, Beak and the rest of the.
Speaker 4: Team at quad Vike King They are magnificent. Love you mate, Thank you so much for a wonderful, wonderful time. Also thank you to National Parks and Wildlife who will facilitate all of that. There's a lot of really important cultural sites around you should go and see all right, quick breaking straight after plenty more when it came to the beautiful city of Newcastle, and you can see just how unfit I am compared to a professional rugby.
Speaker 2: League player for in a second. Now we all love our footing Newcastle. Do you love your Newcastle Knights?
Speaker 3: Well, I I'll tell you what.
Speaker 2: You'll have even more.
Speaker 4: Cancers to see them go round because NRLUW starts up next weekend and I am a lifelong Tigers fan. So you were about to see wonderful professional athletes and an absolute loser trying to keep up enjoyed. In less than a week, some of Australia's best athletes take to the field for the brand new season of the NRLW. There are more teams, more players, more games, more excitement than ever before in one of the biggest growing sports in the country.
Speaker 15: We've got twelve teams in our NRLW. So the game's definitely grown so much over the last sort of ten to twelve years that I've been a part of it, and for me to be involved in that journey is super special in something that I will definitely look back when I retire.
Speaker 9: This year's so expansion by two sides, to new communities, to new fan groups, to new dreams for young kids to sit there and go and watch the team that plays in their backyard and go I want to play in a W at some stage.
Speaker 2: What a try right into the gap.
Speaker 4: Now it's one thing to be a fan of rugby league, but what is it like to train with a professional rugby league team.
Speaker 2: I certainly have a memory.
Speaker 4: Of a very significant person in the world of Harvey Norman getting hands on with NRLW.
Speaker 6: Who was again, that's right, their boss.
Speaker 2: Katie Page.
Speaker 1: We love you.
Speaker 4: So if it's good enough for Katie, it's certainly good enough for me. Now we know I am fighting shit. I've never been stronger, I've never had better core stream. So let's see how long I can last at a training session with professional athletes.
Speaker 6: Go talk, so professionals do it, amateur's done.
Speaker 1: Can tell you for you this a week.
Speaker 16: Jesus set bounce okay, and bounce where we do Jesus Christ, that's impossible.
Speaker 2: Good enough. One of the things I love the most.
Speaker 4: About NRLW, and you can see it here at the Tigers, is that these players are role models to the next generation of athletes. By the time they get to play the game, it will be a part of our sporting fabric, which means what these girls do on the every day inspires a generation of athletes to come.
Speaker 17: These women inspire me to keep playing sport because I love how they're growing each and every year, and I just want to be like one of them when I grow up.
Speaker 10: It makes me believe that the NROLW is real and that there is opportunities for me and there's a pathway for me to succeed. I love Kezi Apps and I love watching how involved she gets with the play and how she talks in the field.
Speaker 15: And the next steps for the women's game is definitely to become that professional and have this as our full time job. And yeah, our products is so amazing at the moment, I just can't even comprehend of what where we can take our game once the girl has become full time.
Speaker 9: It's in a hugely successful period at the moment, and that'll be full time at some stage. We can see the growth it's been going for multiple years now and players, education, plays, skill players, fitness players, understanding of how hard it is to play rugby league is just growing continuously.
Speaker 18: I started thinking junior rugby league and then I think probably also got all on started making all the pathways teams. I think it's sort of just like sort of just clicked for me that you could be something I could do, you know, every day sort of thing.
Speaker 1: Now that I've been in the game.
Speaker 18: For I guess sometime I've just sort of paved that pathway for these younger girls, and I think that's something that I want to continue to do.
Speaker 17: I think my club juniors will help me get through to ner LW because we have lots of development pathways like the Tigers in Liverpool which starts from under fourteens and through to Lisa Fiola and higher stages like Harvey Norman.
Speaker 15: We've got four d A new girls who have joined the West Tigers, So I reckon you're going to see lots of new talent coming through, a lot of raw talent and just girls who are willing to work hard for one another. So yeah, definitely come out and support us playing and cheer.
Speaker 10: Asions Just exciting that I.
Speaker 15: Get to leave these girls just I guess, use my experience and just leave with my actions and try and be as professional as I can and.
Speaker 2: For them to follow.
Speaker 3: He she's Lasana Lutu.
Speaker 5: Her sites on the end goal, the step off the left once too, back to the right.
Speaker 18: I am pretty quiet off the field, but I think footy really brings out sort of my energy and sort of like a bit of my character. But yeah, it's it's really helped me in different reason. I think that's something I'm really grateful for.
Speaker 15: We're definitely going to be in contention for that trophy.
Speaker 1: This year, my last one. I think, thank you, I did it.
Speaker 2: I tried.
Speaker 4: They are awesome and follow and a real w first game next week. We used all of the footage we possibly could have me.
Speaker 2: Exercises the entire Mounts was there.
Speaker 4: Now big announcement about NRLW and our mates at Harvey Norman and it is all to do with the Warriors because have a look at this. The women's Warriors team is going to return to the NRLW this year. Harvey Norman assigned a three year partnership with one New Zealand Warriors. The NRLW Warriors team will play a powerful role in spreading the game in and around New Zealand as the sole elite competition pathway for young girls and women.
Speaker 2: To play rugby league. That's why we love the W.
Speaker 4: The program will expand out to support and connect with local communities, including places like Hamilton, which is going to host three standalone Warriors NRLW regular season games and mates it Harvey Norman and their involvement in women's rugby.
Speaker 2: League is extensive.
Speaker 4: It has been a partner in the NRLW Premiership since its inception in twenty eighteen, as well as being a founding name rights partner of the NRL women In League roun which can you believe.
Speaker 2: Almost twenty years two and seven to present day?
Speaker 4: Now, speaking of the Newcastle Knights, please give it up for Yasmin Clydesdale.
Speaker 2: Lovely to see you and Olivia Higgins as well, Lovely to see you.
Speaker 4: So you guys have had incredible success all right, being a Jillaruse player, being able to play for your state, winning multiple premierships. What does it feel like now that you've been doing this for a few years and how well accepted it is in places like Ucas.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I just can't believe how much it's grown since the inception of twenty eighteen, and it's just amazing to see how much it's grown and how many people are starting to play now.
Speaker 2: So, Olivia, you've won three comps. What's it like to be thinking about going for a fourth?
Speaker 19: It'd be actually amazing. Yeah, look, winning a premiership is obviously the goal, but for us at the nights, at the moment, we're just focusing on Round one next week.
Speaker 2: But like I said, you play well.
Speaker 19: I played to win and I definitely want to win another premiership.
Speaker 4: Now, of course your preseason, what is your least favorite exercise that Ben and the rest of the coaches put you through? Because I tell you what it is now a professional athlete myself, the warm up killed me.
Speaker 1: I'll give it to you.
Speaker 2: It's pretty hard the warm up, No, no mercy. That was a disgraceful performance from me. But still, what's just the one part of the warm up you just for you don't want to do it?
Speaker 11: Probably I hate lunges, but also like the one point too we always have to do like a Bronco, so it's like a fitness test. It always makes everyone a little bit anxious.
Speaker 19: But yeah, probably that, I would say the Bronco.
Speaker 2: Certainly.
Speaker 4: What I love about in a ROLW being on TV and also people being able to go and see it is that you do see that with every single year there are more people turning up to watch it with their own eyes and something I was talking about with the Tigers players was they.
Speaker 2: Really want people in the stands? Right?
Speaker 4: So I certainly know that my girls love watching it on Telly, but it is time to get off your ass and actually go and watch.
Speaker 2: The game, right.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 11: No, we're super excited. We have such a great support network here in Newcastle. We're pretty lucky and we're actually holding the first Centeral w Magic round here in Newcastle? So are we a really great time for everyone to come out.
Speaker 2: What's like playing footing in Newcastle? It's unreal.
Speaker 19: I think you know, whether you're walking into meet Donald Jones Stadium, you're going to a local cafe. The people here they recognize you and they always ask how the season's going. We recently had the Origin girls here and they couldn't believe. Just walking from the Novtel to Newcastle Beach, which is like a one minute walk, there's people yelling out of their cars. They're asking, you know who they're or saying like who they're going for? And yeah, it's really cool. It's very supportive town and we love playing here.
Speaker 2: Good stuff, good luck this year? Give them a round of a pause. Newcastle Knights Legends one and all, thank you, Yes and thank you for your game.
Speaker 4: All right, now stay there because I've got a little announcement here, which is, wherever we go around the country, we ask people to go into their local Heavy Norman store and celebrate the people who are doing great things in their local community, and they end up getting two thousand dollars worth of vouchers inside Harvey Norman to be those local community heroes. Congratulations to Helen who is the coordinator of Mum's Cottage. There they provide practical support, resources, companionship and social community to parents facing the journey alone. Jamie is the president of the Merywa, a surfboard club, and Matt who's the general manager of the Soul Hub here in Newcastle, and they provide food and support to the homeless. So congratulations each and every one of them, thanks to Harvey Norman, but more importantly the people of Newcastle who nominated.
Speaker 2: Them for them all two thousand dollars.
Speaker 4: All right, quick break and back with more here as you're going to see me exerting myself yet again. I don't know what it is about the New Year, but I want to get out and see it for on a second here as we go to any Viking on Paul Murray Live.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for watching.
Speaker 4: Have you a great time in Newcastle? Now again we want you to come here. We want you to come here for a weekend, a long weekend.
Speaker 2: Bring the family.
Speaker 4: Check out of course the RP Distillery, but also if you get a chance, outside many of the major hotels, you can get an e bike and you can go around and have a look at some of the just spectacular natural and tourism stuff that's around here. Honestly, this was a great way to start a day, and surprisingly it was earlier than I normally get up on a Sunday.
Speaker 1: Now you know me Sunday morning.
Speaker 4: You might think I'm sleeping in after a big night watching Formula one qualifying.
Speaker 2: No, no, not true.
Speaker 4: In fact, let me show you I love to go for a ride. You wouldn't think it, but I've got all the likeer underneath this. I've got a coffee ready for me at the end of the day. But i want to show you Newcastle the way that I spend my average Sunday morning, which is.
Speaker 2: Riding a bike.
Speaker 20: Yep, okay, yep, get i everyone, Sunday morning.
Speaker 4: Nobby's Beach and the Lighthouse absolutely iconic, but the story behind them is really fascinating.
Speaker 2: After leaving Sydney, Captain Cook.
Speaker 6: Keeps coming north.
Speaker 4: He sees this part of the new South Wales coastline decides to have a little look. But amazingly, this used to be an island wasn't connected to the mainland or the beach at all. Instead, they were actually looking in part for coal and they got a whole bunch of convicts to chip away at hand at that mountain. Previously it was sixty three meters then they chopped forty meters off the top of it down to its current height. All of that rock was then used to put together what they call mcquarie's Pier, named after the governor at the time, which connects to the beautiful and iconic Nobby's Beach.
Speaker 2: I Low Well, this is stunning.
Speaker 4: The Newcastle City Ocean Bards have been around since the nineteen twenties, the most beautiful Art deco facad they're in the middle of fixing that up.
Speaker 6: But have a look at this.
Speaker 4: You can obviously have your little recreational swims here, or if you want to be a little bit more competitive, like my mate Chris Kenny, who is always a bondai.
Speaker 6: You can have a race here. What an incredible spot.
Speaker 4: They told me this was electric and it is, but I'm still me. Now we have saved the best to last.
Speaker 2: What have you? From the ocean, you can see the city. This is the Memorial Walk here in Newcastle.
Speaker 4: The best way to get around, by the way to have a look at all of these great sites is on the electric bikes. They're located all over town out the front of the hotels. Now this has been open for about ten years and the Memorial Walk recognizes the incredible bond between military service and Newcastle. In fact, along the way there are these beautiful artistic installations and they represent eleven thousand names, because that's how many people volunteered to defend this joint on the other side of.
Speaker 6: The world in World War One.
Speaker 4: We thank them for their service, We thank them for the city that they have built, and we thank Newcastle for a great weekend.
Speaker 3: And who loves newcas fall and has got their stars to prove it.
Speaker 4: It's none of them silent otherwise not, of course, you may remember remold none of course, it's.
Speaker 2: Wonderful chit chat. Great man loved to see.
Speaker 4: You for a long time, way too long, way too long, you remain stylish and cool, and I am this just a couple of big blokes with the yeah correct correct? Now you have put together and you did it a couple of years ago. Stories about Town, which was a whole series of incredible films about everything that tells way more detail and far more factually accurate than what I.
Speaker 2: May have spotted about things.
Speaker 4: But it's an incredible way of celebrating this play by hearing from the people who lived the many stories here.
Speaker 2: What was the idea behind it?
Speaker 5: Literally that there's a website here of Facebook page called Lost Newcastle and I was reading it and going, hang on, these are the actual you know, like history is generally told by generals, and I thought, how do we tell the story of the soldiers telling their story? And so we started We were reading this Facebook page, people putting up memories, and we started piecing together this idea.
Speaker 2: Tony, who I met the films with X Fox Tell We used to work together and we both live up here.
Speaker 5: Our wives are teachers, and we thought, how do we educate people about Newcastle and all the stories that are here. And so far we've made twenty one films in six years and Foxtel and Binge just picked up some of them.
Speaker 2: SBS has picked up others.
Speaker 5: So to have these films local stories taken national has been a great pride moment.
Speaker 4: I'm not at all going to ask you to pick between your babies, because they are all beautiful stories, but I want to focus in on particularly BHP and how you describe it.
Speaker 2: Of course, in the title of the.
Speaker 4: Film is the city within the city and the people that you have to tell the story of this incredible, big industrial landmark. But it means so much more culturally as well. I love that you found the most normal people to tell it.
Speaker 2: Well, that was extraordinary because I mean and.
Speaker 5: At the height of BHP, one in ten people in Newcastle work there. You can't even comprehend one in ten. Right, They would serve eleven thousand meals a day. There was one hundred mile of train track. So I thought it'd be one story. I thought it would be a short story. We get in and just tell this thing, and then we started meeting these people. I met a Czechoslovakian guy who fled the country in the war. You know, this is in the sixties, came over here, arrived in Mayfield, which people he would know on the Sunday night started the next day.
Speaker 2: Worked thirty years and ran in the coke oven and he lived in my street.
Speaker 13: I never knew him.
Speaker 2: Was in his eighties and his story was fascinating.
Speaker 5: We met the lunch lady who would have to go into these big sheds for these guys with their nude pictures up all over the walls.
Speaker 2: And he's the one who used the word donna. Yeah she did.
Speaker 5: She complained and said when I come back, I want to blow with the big dogger up there.
Speaker 2: I'm not coming back. So the humor was there.
Speaker 5: I mean, they'd tell us these terrifying stories and we were just filming it and we're going, God, this is a dangerous place where they go.
Speaker 2: And we just loved it, you know. And so the commitment and the fact that people work thirty years or more there was a great part of the stories.
Speaker 4: And then maybe the odd rock and roller certainly from the days passed in the crowd right here. But we were talking before the show and literally the entire reason the Riot Squad exists in New South Wales is because of Newcast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Star Hotel Riot that was our first film.
Speaker 5: We made that and we thought, well, this would be a quick film, and everybody we talked to told a completely different story. You know, like all these people were standing next to each other in the night, had this story about this wild time and four thousand people went crazy on King Street on Aday. No riot cops, no bouncers, no portal loos, no council approval, yeah, no public liability.
Speaker 1: And you know it made world news.
Speaker 5: And the world news was this is what it's like in Australia when you try and shut down a pub. Yes, hysterical and everything about that story was such a great and then we went and did it b hpr that and now like we've told Fortress Newcastle about the military history of Newcastle and so many great stories.
Speaker 2: It's a great town. Like I grew up here, grew up in Warita and couldn't wait.
Speaker 5: To get out, to be honest, And when I had kids, we came back here and I just went what a remarkable place you know it really is.
Speaker 2: You know, it's the second old city in Australia.
Speaker 4: Now you can see this stuff, as you say, nots of different places from SBS to Binge. You can see some of the stuff in the Newcastle Museum, but the place of course that it lives is on its website of stories of our town. There's YouTube videos where you can watch them all as well. Please watch these and everyone here who may will have lived some of this. His these guys has an incredible job of honoring it. Watch it, share it, get the word around.
Speaker 5: We give them away. They're a gift to the city of the world. There are YouTube stories of our town.
Speaker 2: Good stuff literally a rock star chit chat. Thank you mate, we love it. Thanks, thank you. It's so good. It is a spectacular approache.
Speaker 4: Honestly, more in a sect here as it's time to give away meats a Newcastle More in a Sex thanks to Harvey normand it's for Murray Live on a Sunday Night. A new sponsor not just aboutown but a former live Stockland Steaks. They are a greatest trading company and people who really love what we do. Engine every night and He's part of their story.
Speaker 21: Stockman Steaks is rewriting the belief that enjoying fine quality meat means booking into an exclusive bar or grill in the city. With their unique approach to delivery, they are ensuring that families can dish up restaurant grade meals in the comfort of your own home.
Speaker 22: People don't realize that in Australia, meat is normally sent frozen to retailers, defrosted and then put on sale. We cut out that whole middle step and we have meat that's literally coming from farms, frozen and sent direct of a customers to lock in the freshness. It's so much more convenience ordered direct to your door, order exactly what you want. And the biggest thing is we're sending out flash frozen meat directs to a customer, so we're really bringing the farm closer to your table.
Speaker 2: It is so easy.
Speaker 4: You can create your perfect box by selecting from any of their fifty two meat choices, whether it's be flamm chicken, pork, veal, bacon, and all of it comes with free shipping. And long time Stockman Steaks customer Maria is absolutely reaping the benefits of just how easy this is.
Speaker 23: My friend told me about Stockman Steaks and I jumped online and had a look at the range and I was very impressed seeing that it was pastureys, no hormones, straight to my door. Come home from work in the boxes they're waiting for me. Packed really well, there's ice in there.
Speaker 22: It doesn't go off because everything is flash frozen and vacuum sealed on production. People when they receive a box of meat from us, whatever they want to store, they can put in the freezer and they can keep for up to a full year. Whatever they want to eat, they can just pop in the fridge for an overn eight D thrust and it's perfect to eat for a full week.
Speaker 23: I like selecting my cuts of me that I know my family will enjoy, so that's the benefit of it to you can pick and choose what you want.
Speaker 4: Not only are Stockman steaks perfect for families, but they're also perfect for the country's fittest and finest, like longtime Olympic athlete Tory West, who gives them the big Knot of approval.
Speaker 24: Anyone who does sport or trains hard news that protein is the foundation of thoughting muscle and repairing your body after training. So to me, meat is a perfect source of protein. Especially steak includes all the essential meno acids to rebuild my body. I personally don't take protein supplements because I have a meat based diet.
Speaker 2: For me.
Speaker 24: It's actually a huge part of what makes me successful. I order a Stockman steak box every month, and I actually build my meals around the meat that I have. So it's delivered frozen, I put in the freezer and then each week I take out what I want and then I plan out the meals I'm gonna have during the week based on the meat I have. So I really love their beef and liver and carnivorments that's not usually sold at supermarkets because people are like, oh, it's kind of greous, it's liver, But it's actually really good for you, especially as a female athlete, Like having the liver helps me keep my iron levels high and ensure I can train really well.
Speaker 22: We're one hundred percent of strain owned. Everything's a hundred Austraan raised. Everything is one hundred percent Australian made. It's fantastic, you know, for our regional farming communities to have extra avenues and extra opportunities.
Speaker 23: I know, I'm getting it direct from the farm into my freezer and I'll thoor it when I want to cook it. I'm going to make a marinade. This is a really tasty marinade that you can put on various types of meat. Just give that nice little whisk that goes all over and that should be very tasty for when we grill it best overnight, but if you're in a rush and you know there's so much flavor in there that it will penetrate the meat.
Speaker 4: Anyway.
Speaker 22: Everything's one hundred percent austrain raised. Everything's one hundred percent Australian made. Everything is ethically and sustainably sourced. Everything is humanly certified raised and handled.
Speaker 23: I feel assured ordering Stockman Steaks that it's going to be quality meat and it's going to be tender and succulent.
Speaker 4: All right, So welcome Stockman States, the Paul Murray Lives family.
Speaker 2: They are taking care of you. How is this?
Speaker 4: If you go to the website right now and then you enter the code our town, you will get a free pack of two two hundred and Nanty Graham Rump Steaks. Their website is Stockman Steaks dot com dot AUA good friends and program partners at Stockman Steaks have this great offer for viewers of this program who.
Speaker 2: Wants to win some meat? All right?
Speaker 4: Well, normally I would say who's going to win Paul's meat? But this is a sponsored segment. So who wants to win some Stockman stakes?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 4: So earlier the highly scientific Paul Maury Live Promotions team got together and we found raffle tickets.
Speaker 2: It's the best possible way to give things away, all right, hold them all up.
Speaker 4: Nice and official here, let's make sure or who is going to win. This gonna be really awkward if Chitchat wins. Okay, and let's we'll see if we can get a guess. All right, so official, there we go. Spinning is now here done. Just a lot of people in the audience. It's a big one, all right. The winner of the Stockman Steaks has a blue ticket. Yes, and the blue ticket. I want to get this one hundred percent correct. Is number sixty nine, Blue sixty nine.
Speaker 2: Where are you? And you've got to own not just that number but the ticket.
Speaker 3: Who congratulation Stockman Steaks for you?
Speaker 2: All right? Now?
Speaker 4: That is our show for Newcastle. Thank you to Stockman Steakes. Thank you so much to Harvey Norman. Don't forget as well the stories about town their website.
Speaker 2: And on YouTube. And thank you to everyone who's been so kind to us.
Speaker 3: Had a good time Newcastle excellence.
Speaker 4: Well we are in a distillery and who's looking forward to the next hour after the show in they good tonight?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 4: Mentioned my name payful Price. That's the rule though, I'm Fay all right. That's our show for Newcastle. Thank you very much for watching again. This is a celebration of regional Australia. We're looking forward to going to South Australia next month. We'll be going to Mount Gambia, which is a beautiful.
Speaker 2: Part of Australia.
Speaker 4: If you would like to go into your local having normal store and nominate somebody who you think is a good local hero, well then they too will get the reward of those two thousand dollars vouchers. Again, if everyon want to have a suggestion of a place that we should go to, always send me an email which is Paul at skynews dot com dot au. Back in a man cave tomorrow for what is going to be yet another massive week with none other than Nigel Farrage, Meghan Kelly and most importantly you firing up about everything that matters.
Speaker 2: Again from everyone here in Newcastle, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: We'll see you all again very soon.
Speaker 3: Thank you for your support. Thanks for watching. And that's our show, Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: The Royal report is next. Im Starni