Speaker 1: Welcome to the mentor, and I'm Mark Boris actually welcome to the mentor.
Speaker 2: Mate, thank you so much for having me on. Mark.
Speaker 1: I'm get a lot of energy from you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Tuesday, so.
Speaker 1: Tuesdays with me, Juesdays like Sundays every other day. But your business called Common Entertainment. Yeah, so you're the founder, co founder? What's the deal?
Speaker 2: Co founder? Me and two other people? Yep.
Speaker 1: And if you just take you back like you've got an English accent, I think.
Speaker 2: I'm holding on for dear life though I'm almost.
Speaker 1: Aussy almost Well, uh, I tell you, mate, it's going to tell you why to becoming ausy. I'm sure your family tells you a Naussey accent when I go.
Speaker 2: Back home all the time sounds souzzy. I've been here for fourteen years now, so where we're seeing on? You from East London? East London bornum raised and then moved here when I was fourteen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so fourteen. It sounds like an East.
Speaker 2: Ender I'm putting on now, aren't I under pressure?
Speaker 1: Yeah? They have any centers these days? Is the same deal as it used to be?
Speaker 2: I actually don't think they do. I don't know if it's still it was one of the was the thing longest running sitcoms, not not part from the show. But then you're talking about the East in London geezers. Oh yeah, they're they're about. There's loads of them here as well.
Speaker 1: Really, so there's a deal, I still think.
Speaker 2: I think so, yeah, I just got to go to Couldie. There's loads of them there.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Wow. Well we're in this building here, we got quite a lot of them actually a residence upstairs. Actually they turn into be our best party is actually be honestly, they're pretty good at a party. You're getting to know me, Well, they don't mind drink, so let's get to know a little bit. So you came from London, so you're a London boy. You arrived in austral when fourteen years ago, what do you do?
Speaker 2: I So, to go back to the start, My mum came back backing around here when she was younger and basically spent her whole life trying to convince my dad to come out here on holiday. Probably when I was about year seven in school, so actually probably a bit younger, maybe thirteen. We came on holiday, loved it, fell in love with it instantly, and then about nine months later, my mom and dad sat me and my sister down at the dinner table and said, we're moving to Sydney. And, as it's called stroppy, fourteen year old that thought they knew how the world worked, you can imagine I was overjoyed with that decision.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not.
Speaker 2: Exactly you're just settling into school. Yeah, just a volatile age, but made the move. My mom and dad living Rubra, So you'll be sadden to hear that. My affiliation with rugby League is more rabbit shaped than yours, perhaps, but yeah, it's well.
Speaker 1: Least on the east side. It's sort of on the coast anyway.
Speaker 2: I was hoping would get along. I wouldn't want to reveal that too early, but it's come out. So the hewll a, have you been living here since twenty eleven? So yeah, thirteen years.
Speaker 1: Sorry, So you went to school he for a couple of years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I went to Waverley in the East and Suburbs and yeah.
Speaker 1: Well that is us Waverley sas BONDI. So you are a really Rooster.
Speaker 2: I know it was a tough decision to make. My old man is a big Roosters fan, is he? But there's a divide in the family.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that happens when someone's gone for the bunnies and someone Unfortunately, that sort of can't happen in the joint. But you so you wave me boy, And what did you do when you're at school?
Speaker 2: When I wasn't at school, I wasn't. Part of the reason probably why we moved here is I was messing about at school in the UK when I came here. Tried to knuckle down. But that knuckling down didn't mean I was necessarily good at anything, sciences, maths, all that. But one thing I could kind of do was right. I was a decent writer, had a bit of creative flair, so I went straight into journalism at uts Ye enjoyed that. I felt like it kind of whipped through, really got chewed up and spat out the other side. And I was kind of wondering what to do with myself later. Yeah, I know, tell me about it. The hext day is real. And and then I was one of those weirdos that was checking their kind of university emails after you get after you graduate, and there was a job for Fox Sports on there, so I thought, I love sport. I've come to love rugby league, love football, and I've just thought that was the kind of role for me. So when in there as a journalist, it initially started as a video kind of editor and then quickly kind of moved into writing and yeah, journalism really reporting, Yes.
Speaker 1: And you started to practice what you just learned at university, but in a sports environment. What happened after that?
Speaker 2: The pandemic hit. The pandemic came about and Fox along with other you know, big businesses, small businesses, corporations around the world. I need to let a lot of people go, and I found myself being one of them was let go people did stay. I don't think I was thought I was probably a bit too one dimensional. Was just a writer.
Speaker 1: What do you mean by that?
Speaker 2: I was just a writer. I was a content producer as opposed to what you know, offering to get myself in front of CAM, offering to go into the commercial side of things and exploring sales. It was great for me at the time coming out of university. And maybe I've got a bit too comfortable, but even in terms of the codes I was writing about, I was just writing about football. I loved loads, So yeah, I just felt that I was kind of yeah, a bit one dimensional or not diverse enough. And when push comes to shove, obviously a load of people got to let go as well. And I loved my time there. It was you know, they took a shot on.
Speaker 1: A Yeah, But on reflection, what would you say to a young person today who's going into those environments to make sure you're a bit more ballerproof because you know, shit happens. I mean the world changes. Look at now, right now, we're going through all this drama at the moment economically, I don't know what it all means, but people are going to start looking at well, hanging a minute and may go and do a shitty period. Should I start putting my managing my costs and you know, they've got to work out who they're going to move on. It doesn't necessarily mean they didn't like you in particular. What would you say to people?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a good question. I think what I've always found and with that, and I've been made redundant since then as well, is diversifying making yourself unfirable when regardless of whether it's pandemics or redundancies, people cutting costs. As you said, we're going through that a lot of the moment, especially in the media industry, just making yourself bringing your skills up to a level that yeah, it's going to be a really hard decision for your employer when those kind of tough decisions need to be made. I think I always, even at a lad Bible, I was always telling people, you know, if you say it was, get in front of the camera, try and try your hand at different kind of things. If you're in content, explore sales, explore commercial, explore monetization.
Speaker 1: What makes yourself available.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, yeah, make yourself available. Don't go hiding, put your hand up, be involved, and it's white belt karate mentality a lot of the time. But show that you're interested, show you want to be there, and make sure you're diverse.
Speaker 1: For younger there's a lesson in that. I guess maybe the first lesson is perhaps be aware of what's going on out there. Just don't think I've got my job and I get paid. I'll go home on Friday, go and get on the pis of my mates. You know, I've got enough money pay the rent or I'm living at home. One of the case, I might be saving for a deposit. Whatever the case I be. But I'm safe because I think these days, no one's really safe. So I think that perhaps maybe one of the lessons, and like's your opinion on this, particularly in the media game, but I think one of the lessons is in any game, is to be aware of the landscape, what's changing out there. And am I a category of risk as opposed to me personally? You know they're going to get rid of me in particular, But am I in a category risk? Am I only recently joined the joint? Am I in an industry that's getting bashed up? Is my industry something that is one of the first to dump costs, including which includes stuff when things get to be dodgy out there in terms of revenues. I mean that that means you've got to keep up to date with the media. You've got to be reading shit final what was going on? Is that a lesson that you've learned as a young.
Speaker 2: Man, absolutely one hundred percent. Just being across things. I think, like what you alluded to before, you can often kind of not that you're getting in a rupt but you get comfortable, right, you know, you're happy doing your day to day stuff, but be on top of things, especially as a young person. Ask about if it is a small business, Ask about p and ls, yeah, ask about where the businesses invest in money. Ask about hiring, is they're hiring freezes, the use your company open hiring. I think being across things, and sometimes maybe because I was young and a bit naive, wasn't across kind of states of things. Again, this is all with the backdrop of the pandemic with Fox, but.
Speaker 1: Those of these happen more often now. But just I don't know. I just think shit happens a lot now.
Speaker 2: I agree, But it might not.
Speaker 1: Be a pandemic, but it'll be could be another global fin it's crisis. Who knows everything's on the cars today? Last fifteen years of I looked back, whoever thought it was GFC? Lots of people said they knew it was coming, But like, whoever thought of that? Not many? Most of us didn't. Whoever thought there was going to be a pandemic. Nobody whoever thought it was going to be a vaccine for the pandemic. Nobody like whoever thought that inflation would be raging around the world because we're going to have a supply chain problem. Nobody whoever thought injurraders are going to go down to in Australia zero point one percent and then within two years get up to four point three five percent, which were out today. Nobody. I mean, I've been around on the time. I've never seen these the volatility as we see today like ever before, and I think it's here to stay. So good point that you're and we'll talk about your BIS relative these things at a moment, but a good point is young people just got to get their heads around this stuff. And where would you say that the best place for him to find this information is? I mean, what do you look at you're still young, what do you look at the keep in touch? I just read what is it social? What do you look where?
Speaker 2: You're looking scouring social anyway for work? But try and get across even things I don't like reading some traditional newspapers. Still try and read, like just trying to expand your your your knowledge in that sense, really your scope. It might not be stuff that you're it might not be a beautifully written opinion piece about something you really care about is you're passionate about, but it's good to know these things stuff about you know, if you're not interested in finance, want you should want to learn about finance. If you're not massively interested in entertainment and what's going on in there, you should kind of want to learn about that. Again, it comes back to like diversify and really making sure you're kind of covering covering your backside.
Speaker 1: It is the max is the what maybe is the word words phrase be curious? Absolutely, yeah, continue to be curious, totally down, Just fucking put your the sands say nothing as all good. I'm sweet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, some people, unfortunately do and well.
Speaker 1: Our parents did. They got a job and they stay that. Well, your dad might have because he come to Australia. My dad neither, because he comes a straight but generally speaking, he stayed in the same job for most of his life or in fact his whole life. And that's what people did in those days. You got a job and stayed there, and you're probably there fifty years later and you've got a watch or something, and you paid your house off and you've got some super and yeah it's all good, you retire sixty five. That model has changed completely for everyone across the world. And then just on the other thing, which I thought was very interesting you said was be accessible to do other things. So you know, there's no point being a one trick pony. You've got to have a few more tricks up your sleeve, you know. And I think that's a really important lesson today. Like you know, if you're a journalist, like a content writer in your case, you were a writer, you've got to start to learn be curious again, learn it at filming social media sales totally. It might be it might not be a bag, but still have a crack at it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you're not going to be amazing that. Yeah, yeah, you're not going to come in and change the game. But you've got to be got to be a sponge. Got to learn and then you can start to implement and quickly you'll find that you're kind of well mine, you're spinning plates by yourself, but also that you're cross things. And it relates back to what you were saying about, Yeah, just knowing the business inside out?
Speaker 1: How much of that this is taking risk? So have have do you think? I mean you do a lot of young people. Do you think that our appetite for risk has increased or is less for younger people? For young for the younger generation, for the twenty to thirties, is do you think our risk appetite is less or more than it was, say years ago, when you first kicked off work.
Speaker 2: It's a good question. I think people are more inclined to take risks. Again. A lot of it plays into social media. You see people that you want to look like, you want to be like, you want to be as successful as people have got a very very high benchmark of themselves and where they want to.
Speaker 1: Get to, well, certainly where they present absolutely.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not all of it is your bang on. Not all of it is.
Speaker 1: I'm presenting my best self on Instagram. Now when when when people see on Instagram whatever, there's lights, there's a look at my best Actually. You know, something said the other day I was in where was I in Bingley or some Harvey Norman? I can't remember. Two there's two free ads and some Blue Blake comes and he goes hey. He said, you're my Boris and I said, yeah, I'm just trying to buy I was going to fridge and he said, he said arm and walks brogue. He said, I love what you're doing. Said, you know, it's interesting you look older in real life. I don't know what the fuck he realized When he realized that you talk a big gulp, but it's probably right because you know, my team to make sure I'm the best possible version of myself when I'm on camera, and they'd be thinking about social media today, everybody just presents the best version of themselves. And we're going to talk about this because you know, common entertainment is has a certain thesis about it and and I want to talk about, you know, the nice, nicer version of people today relatives to say, let's look at lad Bible, which is your next fora that was lad Bible next, the next business you went into it? So it was follow lad Bible.
Speaker 2: Guys, Fox into lad Bible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, check me through that lad Bible was I followed them. But some people here who don't follow that Bible talk talk to us.
Speaker 2: What about So lad Bible was arguably one of the biggest youth publishers on the planet.
Speaker 1: Youth publishing being which age I.
Speaker 2: Think it's eighteen to thirty five year olds. Was there? Was there kind of go and what a company like? Again, I was cut to go back to Fox come out of the pandemic, redundant at twenty something year old, down tools on everything else. So it's funny I saw Lad Bible's job on Seek. I kind of moved back home with my parents, was flapping around a bit concerned, as I'm sure everyone else was, but saw the the ad for it, for the job on Seek, and obviously being from the UK, I know, I know their bag, I know that they're all about so I kind of down tools on everything else and knew that that was the role for me, and it involved I think I was higher in Australia, higher number eight or seven or so.
Speaker 1: They were launching you in Australia.
Speaker 2: They were launching and they needed someone to help version of their Bible. Yeah, Lad Bible Australia Ossie UK. Very similar culture, very similar sense of humor, a few differences, but there was a massive appetite. They've got a huge Ossie audience. Anyway, kind of tested the market here and we're like boom, We're in. So they needed someone to launch Sport Bible really so looked at me for some reason, liked me, I don't know why, but liked me and gave me a shot and it was amazing. Such a good team. I mean, it's all people kind of my age, people who are ambitious, growing a really really good brand in Australia.
Speaker 1: And how well did together?
Speaker 2: So what what?
Speaker 1: What give me some mytries some of.
Speaker 2: The numbers they reached almost I think the main kind of number that we put in our pitch decks was two thirds of all Australians is what they reached, which was a huge number. Massive forgetting that young people, you know, every demographic as well, So it's huge numbers that they reached. Great content, great brand, and just being involved with that. Again, it referred back to what I kind of mentioned earlier. I started off as my role as journalist, but I was never really.
Speaker 1: A journalist content writer.
Speaker 2: I was more of a writer writing for website, and then I kind of pivoted and wanted to do a bit more on social so that that needed some love.
Speaker 1: But did you ask for that?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, you know. I had a really good report with the boss is there and the general manager is now my current business partner, so we have a great relationship. My old head of content, she was amazing, and they really had their thing was you're here for a reason and we have complete and utter faith, go out and do what you think. Yeah, and not just me, but the whole pretty much everyone.
Speaker 1: No, with you know, some exceptions, some exceptions.
Speaker 2: Not every bad idea is, you know, a great idea, but they definitely wouldn't turn their nose up at ideas, and we saw really good success.
Speaker 1: Why do you think something of that takes off so well so quickly in like in Australia for example, Like how why is it they grab the audience so fast?
Speaker 2: I think it's a good question. I think to do with the brand itself straight away. Because the brand, people know the brand. It's so cool. Sometimes people don't even realize that they were looking at the brand because you know, we're all doom scrolling on social media. Oh that's led Bible, Okay, cool? Yeah, I know you guys, people don't even realize that they're kind of looking at it. It's a great brand, it's our whole thing was kind of steering away from the lad. Obviously, a lad in the UK is a friend a buddy, whereas here it's teens and train stations. Yeah, so we kind of always tried to steer away from that, and we had a very.
Speaker 1: Bag shoulder in the bum bags was a lad bag? Where were there things are there? Yeah? Yeah, he's a lad.
Speaker 2: And our thing was yeah, always kind of we had a very gender neutral kind of it was like fifty to fifty split. Like we had a really really strong audience base. And to answer your original question why it kind of took off good hiring. We hired some amazing people who were who just helped it, just elevated it really and the brand was quality so so good. It was a great I went. I went to just the opportunities as well. I went to WrestleMania in Dallas. I don't even know what I don't even know what wrestling is, but I was surrounded by middle aged blokes with two plastic belts around there are I was honestly crazy. But covering Women's World Cup, covering NRL, had a really good relationship with some amazing companies and amazing brands NRLB and one of them a bunch of betting companies that we kind of worked with on commercial campaigns. And yeah, honestly, such a such a great environment to work in.
Speaker 1: And what happened.
Speaker 2: Redundancies again, Really you.
Speaker 1: Know it's do they close closed shop.
Speaker 2: Closed APAC region? Yeah, so closed Aypac region. We were making money, But there's bigger markets, there's US markets that you can explore. And the Australian market was Yeah, we just end up getting all of the Apac kind so we had offices in New Zealand, one in Melbourne and Sydney as well. So yeah, we were all yes.
Speaker 1: And then lad Bible it's still it's still comes from Minescriber. It's the English version version.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's still Australian pages. So they' they've brought content in house, right and still people running the pages. It's just the team got kind of stripped back. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I'm going to go the break. When I come back, I want to know how you decided, why you decide if you remember the day where you sit down with your co founder and you decided to build this thing up called Common Entertainment. By the way, before I do gather break, how long has it been around for?
Speaker 2: So we've we're brand new, just launched about a month ago. That a month ago, wow, But we've been working on it in the background for how long about six seven months now?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 2: Yeah, since the redundancies.
Speaker 1: Okay, so when we come back and then we're going to talk about something that's just brand new, look.
Speaker 2: Forward to it.
Speaker 1: I'm back from the break. I'm here with Max Sherry. Now Max is the co founder of Common Entertainment. And you did say Max that your co founder is your ex general manager or something like that. Tell me that. Tell me about however that all worked.
Speaker 2: So I've actually got two co founders. One was our head of sales at lad Bible and one was the general manager. Joe was the man who brought lad Bible out to Australia yep, tested that market and kind of yeah, it was the big boss in APAC. And then Rachel Hall, she was our head of sales, so responsible for some huge client campaigns, commercial stuff, and both just bosses in general amazing in.
Speaker 1: Terms of sales. Helped me out eat. So how does how did lad Bible supports Bible? How do they commercialize their social content or their social media.
Speaker 2: It's all ad space. Really. If you can guarantee a company a campaign a million eyeballs on a product, then brands want to kind of throw money at that. And digital it is a new space, but it's essentially advertising. So we would run we would explore commercial campaigns as bigger activations. We I mean, you seem to remember us doing an escape room for I think it was Amazon in the middle of Sydney. So there's big picture stuff like that. There's also you know, articles that can be written that can live on your channels, posts that can go live, interviews that we can do. We loved a vox pop.
Speaker 1: I was all about that and this moment of box pop is.
Speaker 2: Giving an idiot like me and Mike and going outside absolutely and just random. You get some amazing characters and get to rub shoulders and some cool people. But we did it at the Women's World cart that was amazing. Is ramming around the streets depending on the campaign. Really, we flew to Brisbane for with McDonald's for the Women's World Cup and did some cool vox pop stuff there And and.
Speaker 1: Why do you and what and why do you think there would have been you this? This is when you're a lab Bible supports Bible. Why do you think like big brands would employ you guys to do boxing, Like why would they do? That's what's good? What's in it for them?
Speaker 2: Well, it kind of comes down to the media and your competitors as well, Right Like lad Bible is such a cool brand that you want to align with, not regardless of reach reaches speaks for itself as a brand. It was brand just wanted.
Speaker 1: To brand alignments. Yeah, a little bit of reflective glory. Yeah, for your audience, for their audience at the time. So Common Entertainment. What's the deal with the name? What I mean is that house commons? I don't know what. Tell me, what are we talking about? What's common Entertainment means? Where their name come from?
Speaker 2: The name? It was actually my co founders that came up with it. Joe is actually from East London near me. Also, Yeah, he's Rache's Ossie. So we're bouncing out a little bit there. But he's always he's always been called a commoner. His wife calls him very common, which is to go back to the very start, a bit Cockney and a bit street. Yeah, and that was kind of it. But it has loads of other meanings. I mean, even our logo the sea with the kind of line on top, it's the common denominator, the thing that's left, you know, And just the name. There's there's so many other parallels that we're drawing with the name and the brand common Good, you know there's but yeah, that's kind of where the name started. There's been some ropee previous names. I think I'm going to out them here, but my co founders were thinking of gaggle, like a gaggle of geese. Horrendous, I know, shock. So I've outed them there nicely. But we land on common, which is good.
Speaker 1: So clearly your whole thesis is about entertainment. It's been entertainment. Is there is there information in there too? Is there education and information? There was a just entertainment.
Speaker 2: So our thing is really it's it's a multi media publisher, brand new one. We want to sell it. Our main thing is celebrating humanity, celebrating the extraordinary, every day people doing extraordinary things. As you well know, social media is a pretty it's a pretty dark place to hang out right now.
Speaker 1: Tiring.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's pretty poor and.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't say tedious, but I would say tiring.
Speaker 2: Tiring's a good way to describe it. I agree. You come away from it after doom scrolling and come away from it feeling disengaged too.
Speaker 1: Flash No, you either feel like fuck me, like everyone's killing it and I'm not, which I know is not the case. But you either feel that way or eternally, Why aren't I Why don't have their numbers? How the fuck do they get their numbers or who's this fucking imposta? Yep, Like I know more of it than they do. How they how they getting in there? Or it's just like shit news, like leave me alone, stop telling me the same damn thing over and over again. I yes, they this, and I don't know when this podcast going to go to it, but I could just go back to early in August, I was getting hit up on Instagram by the disaster was going on the Japanese stock ex changed and the US stock ex change and transaction change. But like literally I get it, but like everything I got was the same because obviously it worked out who I am, and it's like what I like I should say, and it's just algorithm rhythmic process that just hit me up, picked me up in the n I thought, I'm not looking at this anymore. It's like depressing me.
Speaker 2: Like not really, but you know what I mean, No, totally, you just good. There's a reason and there's so many stats behind it. But people's mental health, not just in this country but globally it's deteriorating, and sadly social media plays a big role in that, like.
Speaker 1: Young people worse. I think that couple worse. The only reason why for that is I say that and I don't have any evidence. But the only reason I say that observationally is that they're not equipped to make proper judgments on things because they're young and they're not experienced. That's the first thing. Second thing, is there much more glued to this, So they have less options because most of the options the older people like me have they would consider they would consider as boring or just shit, like who's going to watch the Channel nine news on a Sunday night That the younger people definitely aren't. But I have more options in my kit bag, or I might not look at social media at all, you know, I might just have no media, just maybe go for a walk. So unfortunately they're getting hit up all the time. It's just repetitive, repetitive, repetitive. Then this probably takes me to your thesis, you know, a common entertainment. I mean, I just want to open up one up here. I mean I was, I was looking at it like, there's one here. It says you never know, but the interaction possibly saved his life, and there's a young boy I think it is. What's your favorite legend of it? Zelda game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So that post in particular.
Speaker 1: We two point three million, and by the way, Stylebnder like yeah, as analys like, yeah, like that's pretty fall on.
Speaker 2: That's pretty crazy considering at that point we hadn't really launched yet, no one knew who we were. Chloe Kardashian actually recently comment commented on that post as well, But you're right, Stylebnder Usain Bolt, I think.
Speaker 1: As well, Yeah, but this is Ashraf. You're a good man. Kindness and understanding can change your life, man like, and you've given the credits. Tell me about that. What's the thinking behind not just that particular post, but that that post sort of embodies most of the stuff that I was quickly looking at. Totally tell me about it, So that.
Speaker 2: That post in particular, I mean, our our thesis, like you say, our kind of proposition is we want to combat negativity. There's so much clickbait, sensationalism, negativety, like you said refer to before, we want to combat that. People's mental healths are declining and people are ultimately turning off social media. But social media realistically should be an amazing tool. It should be like a global showcase of everything good. And we're only you know, a decade and a half into this social media game us as humans, but we're getting it wrong already. There's, as we refer to, there's a lot of rubbish on their algorithms and negative comments sections. But I feel like there's a massive sea change coming. We need to be better. We want our audience to feel enriched, feel enlightened, feel educated, feel entertained, proud. We want them to laugh, we want to cry. We want them to come away from it from a doom scroll of our content, feel happy, feel good, feel like in our way of doing that is celebrating humans. We did a branding session with actually with my old man. We were pretty tight on cash at the very start. We roped him in and his team and did our branding session. We were like, if we're going to do this post lad Bible, we want to do it, you know, me and my co founders, we want to do it right. We want to do it positive. I want to bring positivity. But we quickly found out that positive is can pigeonhole. You can sound like you're kind of shoving it down people's throats a bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a little bit. Also a little bit sort of trying to talk about.
Speaker 2: Your virtues, trying to preach a little bit you're right virtues and like the signaling, absolutely, and we wanted to avoid that. So our kind of in our branding session, our way around that was celebratory.
Speaker 1: Of somebody else's attitudes.
Speaker 2: Celebrate humans like doing amazing things. I just think it gives you more scope. You know, there's whether it's the Olympic Games or on at the moment, we can celebrate that someone does an amazing deed, like that guy that you're referring to in that video, reaching out to that guy who was struggling, or to you know, young ossies want to launch a podcast, Let's celebrate that just gives you more scope. And in relation to that exact video, I saw it on my own algorithm. I reached out to the guy and said, do we have your permission to use this? It's incredible. You should keep doing this stuff. He's a he's a streamer in the US. Should keep going down this positive route, in this celebratory route. He gave us permission, and is that we kind of provided that on screen caption because it's true, and he gave the credits, gave the credits, and that on screen caption of you know ever know this, this possibly saved his life, this interaction, And it's true that young kid actually commented as well, the guy in the video and said, wow, this is me. Look at this support that I'm receiving so not I need. Did Ashraff love that we shared his content and it, you know, showed him an amazing which he is. But the young kid actually kind of stumbled upon it himself and reached out and said, thank you so much for sharing and appreciate it. And the caption's right, we never know, like it might not have he might not have been struggling, but he could have been. And that celebration of that interaction is kind of encapsulates what we do. And obviously it's reached celebrities, you know, you mentioned Adasanya and Chloe Kardashian and stuff, but it's good to we want to bring people back onto social.
Speaker 1: Do you think that's there's a change in how publishers are going to operate? Is it coming or is it already here like you're you're because you know, generally speaking, the general view is bad news cells okay, unfortunate good news doesn't sell. I guess the corollary of bad news cells is that good news doesn't sell and your journalists know this stuff but than I do. But I'm only thinking about this loud. But maybe it's not good news as much. It's maybe human stories that still cells you bang on. Yeah, so that's the difference.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wouldn't say we're good news essentially, we're a community that celebrates humans. Yeah, And you're right, Like, I mean, look at the kind of media industry. It's there's we refer to it at the start. There's redundancies. People can't spend, people can't cost left right, and that's with traditional media and with kind of digital publishers, new age stuff. People are leaving Australia. There's a void that needs filling and clearly something's not going right. Like, pardon the term. I mean, I've already been kind of made redundant twice and the common denominate here is probably me. I'm probably rubbish. But it shows that there's something not quite right in the kind of landscape of things, and I feel like there's a big kind of shift come in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I think people would agree with you, but we don't know what's happening. But what's going to happen but it feels like something has to change because we can't we can't get beating ourselves up. It's like it's like we're sort of masochism, just bashing ourselves up. And the media is part of that and where all and I know a lot of journalists who are actually really good guys, but they're in that fucking frame where they're always trying to come up with a headline and headline to get you, you know, this sort of click baity stuff that's sort of sort of what's that about? You know, Mark Boris has done something, you know, like what I better read about that? And then there's nothing. There's nothing in it either, there's nothing really malicious in there. There's nothing, there's nothing, it's just the headline.
Speaker 2: I know exactly, I know exactly what you're talking and.
Speaker 1: Your headlines are different.
Speaker 2: Well, it's so detrimental stuff like that to your brand as a whole, because you could write, I could interview you, do an amazing opinion piece, and then in the column next to it, you've got something really trash, or the following week they're trying to go after you. Yeah, and you know, I've built this relationship with you, or I've built this relationship with a brand, and then the next week it's it's tarnished and you're constantly chasing your tail with that.
Speaker 1: And I'm always avoiding you as a result of that relationship's done. I won't talk to you absolutely, or I won't talk to anyone again. I mean, I just say, staying away from these dudes like this is no good. And I think a lot of people are sort of a very negative on media, mainstream media, because I think they've all jumped in on the bandwagon clickbait, blah blah blah, number clips, because I mean, I've heard of journalist who get rewarded for the number of clicks they get on their article that they're getting a small retainer and then bonus bonusing up based on the number of people hit it. But by definitely just encouraging them to write this shit. Yeah, and look, maybe there's room for that, I get it. But I think also you've carved out a really bloody good niche like it's funny. Do you think that people like the Cdshians for example, or is he they they're all sort of showing their support to you, because they're all becoming a little bit jaundiced about the way the world is.
Speaker 2: Absolutely yeah. I can only think that people are sick to death of it opening social media and there's there's something negative, they want to open up their phone and if you are subject to the odd doom, scroll for half an hour before bed and you want to come away from it feeling feeling better about yourself and content like that. At the core, it's the content, and you're right, Lack there's For us, it's we're not measured really on website clicks. It's not a kind of revenue stream. For us. We don't see ourselves as news, so it's not something that we value and we actually see a really smelly article. It's so detrimental to a brand. And for us, brand is number one. We've got such a strong brand. Our messaging is clear and people it's you know, the kind of content speaks for itself and the love we're getting speaks for itself.
Speaker 1: Who your major audience age, so.
Speaker 2: We're probably eighteen to thirty five year olds as well, but we've got a massive audience in Australia.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: We've got a huge audience in the US, I think mainly due to population and the UK as well. But our audience number in Australia. We're starting to kind of tailors content towards more Aussie. Yeah, Ossie natured and it's getting a good reception.
Speaker 1: That probably gets a good reception everywhere too, because people overseas love that. People love and asie, excuse me, people love do love an Aussie as far as I'm aware where too from now? I mean, so I saw you're hosting. We're not hosting, but you're including other people's podcasts on their late dilan or do you what's that? What's that all? Bet So?
Speaker 2: It's actually the kind of this is the brainchild of my co founder of rach. It's called House of Common and it is essentially a production house. We want to be the Netflix of social kind of be cool, but we want to do that and by doing that, we want to kind of have our original shows. We want to start launching original shows, not just on the celebratory kind of theme, but everything can be sports shows, can be entertainment shows, and we want to work with there's so many good creators in Australia, you know that like amazing, but we want to kind of be the middleman between them and brands. A lot of these people were, whether it's uni students or sports stars, need need a brand attached to that in order to keep it going.
Speaker 1: Do you produce it for them?
Speaker 2: We can help produce it. We can just faci edit, we can facilitate, we can connect them with brands, we can create shows with them. But being the kind of middleman between. We've just got a mainly thanks to my co founders, we've got a massive contact book and a.
Speaker 1: Bunch your business model then and relationship finance financially like economics. How does that work?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: So advertising again.
Speaker 2: Advertising commercial partnerships would be one. The second obviously would be what that like House of common working with creators on shows and going you know, ip split fifty to fifty if as long as we can find a partner youtubeing it sorry youtubing it, Yeah, it can, and that's the thing we would amplify it across our live anyway. Yeah, it can go across them, can go across.
Speaker 1: YouTube, do commercial deals of them.
Speaker 2: Commercial deals and then and that's why we've signed up people like Dylan Orkar with listening Able, which is so in line and on Brown with us. Yeah, and then this platform revenue as well, is these big kind of Facebook, the Metas and youtubes of the world will pay you to be on their platform. Again, it's ads because.
Speaker 1: They they place the ads, but they pay you to give them the content.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're experts in monetizing content. Instagram's tricky one because everyone uses it and they won't pay anything.
Speaker 1: But but it's a good intro. It shows you, it shows the world who you are exactly, and it's too How to start advertising on Instagram's people turn off pretty fast. Yeah, there's gonna be pure.
Speaker 2: It's a fine line and you don't want to cross it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So that's right. So where to from here?
Speaker 2: We've got We've got big plans the House of Common I think we'll take off as we start signing more, more shows up, and more creative.
Speaker 1: Just notice you've got just on I saw we've got two bro Chicks, Dinners, Listenable, small Talk, fairband podcast. What else have you got? What else you got? Now?
Speaker 2: That's they're the main they're the kind of the core of what we've got, and we've got a bunch of kind of originals as well. Common Voices is where we kind of vox popp and and speak to people we've spoken to, domestic violence, survivors, people who have been in jail, and people again, ordinary people who have got extraordinary stories and celebrating their their comeback.
Speaker 1: I love it. I love it. I love it. I've been a young bloke. I love the fact that you've sort of recovered plus much much more from your third redundancy. But it's just it's pretty cool. You've learned your lessons and in fact you've taken those lessons and you've turned into something well. I love the fact to managed to collaborate with your colleagues. That's pretty fucking cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but this is.
Speaker 1: Different. That's what I like about it. It's not what everybody else is doing. In fact, it's nearly diametrically opposed to what works for everybody else, And what works for everybody else means everybody else is going to do, which means it's a very crowded market and you're diametrically opposed. But it's also nuanced because, as we said, as you said earlier, it's celebrating great human stories, not you trying to preach or you know, try and sort of virtue signal about what's good in the world all that shit. But you're talking about other good stories. In fact, I follow. This is a thing called Humans of Newark, New York.
Speaker 2: Yes have you seen that? I know exactly. It's pretty cool, incredible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's sort of along your lines. Is a bit broader than that. But it's actually interesting because they just put interesting people from New York and it doesn't have to be a celebrity. It could be just some old dude sitting there who's been there, sitting on the same seat for twenty years, and they take a photograph of him or her and they put up it's pretty cool.
Speaker 2: They're amazing.
Speaker 1: It hasn't worked anywhere else in the world. I don't think lots of others have tried it. I saw some tried humans a Sydney distance at the work. But what you're doing is really good. I really love it, and good luck to you, and thank you. Give Dylan Orcock. Give Dylan Orcock a good smack on the chin when he comes back for the Olympics, because he's the cheekiest bastard on this planet. He really is.
Speaker 2: I've heard some amazing is an incredible.
Speaker 1: He's a cheeky barsard, but I love him.
Speaker 2: He's great, amazing, really nice meet Yeah, lovely to meet you too, Thank you for having me appreciate that