Speaker 1: Better than Lego, better than Leo Chance. Gooday, it's Mobsy here And if you're listening to this episode of the Daily Telegraph Errol Podcast in your Maddie John's podcast feed, welcome. We're with you instead of Maddie and Cooper Kronk for the next three weeks while Maddie is in Paris, and we're going to get into it the run up to the finals everything NRL. All right, we're back for another episode of the Daily Telegraph Errol Podcast. Adam Mob's here with you with Fatima Cado. How are you going, Fatima?
Speaker 2: I am well and went on, but well.
Speaker 1: Underwell Tyson Jackson who jumping in the hot seat this week and you and I've got a little bit of sideband going at the moment because I'm an ils man and you're a Tiger supporter, and we thought round twenty seven might be the wooden spoon by my friend, but you might have just got the jump on you after last weekend.
Speaker 3: Ah, there's still a couple of weeks left. I wouldn't get to ahead of yourself. I jumped on the ladder predicted last night and the Tiger's still going to finish sixteenth and there's only one team they'll finish below that.
Speaker 4: So I'll leave that to your imagination.
Speaker 5: On your left, questioning Mobs, where where that performance from the Ills was six eight weeks ago? Look, well, maybe it's a it's a taste of they're just resigned to the fact that the season is done and there's that less pressure and no.
Speaker 1: Well you look last week they were the better team in the first half against Melbourne and trailed. They threw a couple of trial, gave a couple of tries up, they had all the possession.
Speaker 6: You look back earlier in the year, they should have beaten.
Speaker 1: Canary that time when they didn't know Mitch Moses should have iced that game. They were in it against the Roosters that time. There was three games in the middle. I think the Gold Coast was the other one. That games they should have one that would have you look at that roster. They're not a wooden spoon roster enough. It's tice, but yeah, but it is.
Speaker 4: What it is.
Speaker 5: And they did play in patches this year where you're got your thinking like, how is this team at bottom of the roster, bottom of the table even with all the injuries they've had in the setbacks and the rest of it. So maybe it's not as bad it Maybe it's not bottom of the barrel just yet. Maybe it might be if the chat on the radio this morning through that Mitch that the Dragons and monitoring Mitchell Moses's situation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so is that in the same conversation that Mitchell wants to get somewhere where he's going to win a camp and Georgia Laura and that conversation.
Speaker 4: Come on, I'm anymore.
Speaker 2: Well, Flanet is a premiership winning coach, so he's got that over.
Speaker 1: Jason Royles, Well he is. And what about the what do you make of the Dragons at the weekend?
Speaker 4: Very good? I thought they were. They were very good.
Speaker 2: Yeah they were, they were good.
Speaker 5: I didn't realize it was Anthony Monday and Hudo. Is this another like generational thing that we should have about it?
Speaker 1: Well? Yeah, ninety nine Grand Final they were with a whisker of beating Melbourne. Obviously there was the Craig Smith.
Speaker 4: Incident in the call with Jamie Ayin's co.
Speaker 1: And the penalty try, but you know they were within a whisker winning it. When Mundine was it could have passed it right on the line when himself knocked it on and Chock said the next year, you know, we're going to charm who the real deal is. And Melbourne pumped them seventy to ten following they haven't won in twenty five years down there.
Speaker 4: But tell you what, what.
Speaker 1: Shane Flatagan's done with this team, that same roster as last year and to go down there to Melbourne, I don't care who you are, especially the Dragons after twenty five years to put in the performance they did and you're always sitting here watching this going, oh god, Melbourne are going to do something here. They're just going to find a way, find a way. And the Dragons held so firm in defense, unbelievable. Jaden Sewer I thought was terrific in attack.
Speaker 4: Again, he's been great.
Speaker 5: It's missing out on origin in that last game, I think it was, yeah, and they're just in terms of like physicality, conditioning fitness wise. They matched it with a storm the storm or obviously I know they've been sort of off the pace the last couple of weeks. They've probably got away with one last week they think. For the Dragons for me is when they're in that mood like they were against the storm.
Speaker 2: You know, they look like a top.
Speaker 5: Eight team, but then they get blown off the park every now and then, so they're still struggling for that consistency and I know that's something that Shane Flanagan is working on. But you know, the people derided their forward pack seems to be matching them.
Speaker 2: They've got really big outside backs. Zach Climax.
Speaker 5: I feel it's probably been a little bit off the pace since Origin, but you know, yeah, they look good and it sets up a massive game at Cobra against Canterbury.
Speaker 6: What do you think of Tyrrel Sloan's performance, Tice?
Speaker 3: I thought coming back and all the criticism, I thought it was was all right. I thought, you know, I spoke to Flano last week before they left for Melbourne, and I was surprised when Flano was very open and saying that he didn't want to bring him back.
Speaker 4: I thought that was not a tough call.
Speaker 3: But I mean to come and tell the media that you don't see many other coaches doing that. So that might have lit a rocket under tyrelle and I think after a win like that he probably keeps his spot.
Speaker 4: I'm so happy for him.
Speaker 1: I'm so happy because Flannel has not been backwards in coming forward about Tyrell Sloan's form and what he sees as deficiencies in his role as a fallback. You know, he's sometimes that, you know, willing to put your head in the areas that other people won't put them, that kind of thing. But obviously was the ball support runner that we saw on the weekend, of course, but you know, he didn't shirk his responsibilities at all.
Speaker 4: And they were they were so tough.
Speaker 1: They were so tough out there just supporting each other through the middle. And Flano has got him playing some really nice football. And I don't know about you guys, we'll get to this. I've got to be my eight for the rest of the season. I think they're going to play finals.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it's it's kind of between.
Speaker 3: The Dragons will only make it the Titan Stone, so they need the Titans to drop off a couple of massive weeks though, like we said, that Bulldogs game is going to be unbelievable.
Speaker 4: Sell out a cogra.
Speaker 3: I'm a local there so you might see might.
Speaker 4: Get around, but yeah, I can't wait.
Speaker 3: Rugby League is a good place when the Dragons and the Bulldogs hopefully one day. The Tigers are doing well, so I'm excited. I think, yeah, like a world of momentum. The atmosphere comes Saturday night at Cogra is going to be unbelievable.
Speaker 5: It's going to be interesting because it's two very passionate you know, Sydney supporter Basis So. I think Flannel was on the radio this morning saying how much they love coming to Cogra to play because it is a different group of fans, you know, to the Ilawara so and we saw all the scenes at Bellmore they were carrying on like they just won the Grand Final. So they're probably going to take over the streets of Cogar as well if they win too. But it'll be the same for the Dragons, who you know, if they put themselves well and truly in the finals race, if they get over the Bulldogs, I think it's going to be it'll be interesting because they're both greedy teams when they can be, and they both can score points when they want to. But I think it's going to be a tight, closer, fair and I think defense is going to win this one, and they're both defensive minded coaches.
Speaker 3: So yeah, well looked. I looked last night. The Dragons have only won back to back games twice this year. Yeah, so massive tests. If that's their deficiency. There might be a bit of complacency. They have a real high one week and then the next week drop a bit. I don't know, but that's that's going to be the biggest test for them, is to go back to back, if only the third time this year. And I mean to get into that top eight mobs. You say the Dragons are in your eight. They need to be able to do that. If they can't do that, then you have to put a line to them.
Speaker 1: Well, the start off the year that way, didn't they They smashed the Titans away from home. He thought, oh wow, and I didn't pick him week one. So they're playing the Dolphins week too. I said, oh, I'm on the Dragons. They get pump thirty eight la.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: Then they they beat teams like they beat the Warriors in Woongong.
Speaker 6: They got smashed by sixty by the Roosters.
Speaker 1: You know, they lose to the Sharks, they beat South, they get smashed by Canterbury. They come and beat the Dragons. Sorry that Panthers in fair records. It's a crazy stat. I think Aaron Wallace from Fox League had a weird stat that there's only one other team that's beaten Penrith and Melbourne home and away in a season and that was Paramatter in twenty twenty two in the last five years.
Speaker 4: But so he's saying the Dragons are going to win, They're going to win, They're going to go. This is well, they're in the anything from there.
Speaker 2: But that also says a bit about because I think after all those blobout scores they came back and win, right, They've been able to bounce back. So I think that says a lot about the kind of coach Flannel is and the way he's able to sort of lis a response from his side when they've just been in the dumps. But yeah, the key is consistency.
Speaker 5: If they can find that consistency, then you know, as Tyson said, you know, Cannavy are shown it can be consistent. All of a sudden, you've got these two sides that are struggled for a really long time playing some really good footy. And I mean, I guess if you're a Sydney footy fan, it's what you want.
Speaker 3: You can tell how the Dragons are going to go after the first fifteen minutes of a game. If they come out with that kind of bully mentality, that Shane Flanagan mentality, you know you're in for a rough night. Both times a versus Tigers this year, they've come out with that form and as a Tiger supporter, I'm like, going, no, you know, but then you see him sometimes when they don't come out with that form and that first impact, that first carry is not that well, you kind of go, oh, look to my Dragons mates, you guys are in for a rough day to day.
Speaker 1: But what impressed me most is you've got to do it for eighty minutes against the Storm because they will just pick you apart. And like I said, I was just waiting at one point for Melbourne to turn it on and just put on a move, blow them away and then okay, just do what Melbourne do and then they couldn't get the job done. So big game against Bulldogs who were great against I thought your writers played really well. It turned up read to play, but shows you how tight the comp can be.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And it was a strange game because there was a lot of blowout scores in that round as well, So I thought, you know, I don't know, maybe they're going to turn it on.
Speaker 2: But it was a really tight game. I mean, there were I was really.
Speaker 5: Surprised to see Ricky leave Ethan Strange out of that game. He played all year, this massive game they need to win. There's a final spot on the line, and sort of the way he explained it after the game was he felt like it was time to start managing his workload. It was really curious cool and I don't know whether I buy that. You know, he's played, he's played all year, he's built that combination on the edge, and then to pull him out of the game. I'm not gonna say that's the reason why they lost, but it was a curious decision.
Speaker 2: But yeah, they were, they were in it.
Speaker 5: There was just a couple of tries from Canarry that were just absolutely freaky.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: You saw Stephen Crichton with his chip over the shoulder, like how do you defend that? You know? And then Matt Burdon had been sort of.
Speaker 5: Kept his bomb sort of in the kit bag for weeks and weeks and then comes up with with a bomb and that I think Critter was on the other side of their field gathered, you know, gives it off to Fish josh Ada car and they score. So that was the that was the difference in the end. I think Burton's bomb so yeah in it, but still a game that they had to win because the Raiders, if you look at their own hand, and we're going to look at it a little bit later, it is it is tough. I don't think they could have afforded to drop those two points, to be honest.
Speaker 3: They shruggled to score points. I think defense on both sides wasn't really the issue. And you look at you look at the tries of the Bulldog scored and they weren't. Like this is just individual brilliance. But Ethan Strange. I mean, he's broken games open this year of them before. And I think Cook's a great player, you know, playing in the hards and he's a good backup player, but I think he really got a back young guys there to do a job.
Speaker 5: And that's what I find found strange, Right, he backed him all the way up until this point, and this is probably the biggest game of their season and he's not there so.
Speaker 4: And it looked like they missed him.
Speaker 6: I think I wonder what's going on there for Ricky to make that call.
Speaker 4: So we said it before.
Speaker 5: I mean, you know, with Savage, right when Savage first came through it, I was like, oh, this kid's a prodigy, this kid's are that And Sticky sort of was bringing him in and out of the side, adamant that he was doing the right thing by him. I mean, eventually Savage came good. But yeah, it is strange since he's played the whole year.
Speaker 4: I've got to ask.
Speaker 1: I had the last rites fro him a couple of weeks ago, but officially now the Broncos have gone for the year. You talk about rosters that should be top eight rosters and teams that were what seventeen minutes away from a Grand Final and went until Nathan clearly work from his slumber last year.
Speaker 6: Where do you fix the Broncos? What is the issue?
Speaker 1: And they don't have a lot of players coming off contract the end of this year, Corio it's is still banning for a contract.
Speaker 4: They've got a couple.
Speaker 1: Of most of the guys are on deck and then come November one, you've got guys like Catoni Stags. So we're expecting Reese Walsh to sign a new deal soon and it's going to take up a lot of their salary cap as well of a significantly larger portion than it is currently. So I don't know if they're going to be able to hit the market to bring in replacements.
Speaker 5: When you look at them full strength, they don't need to be in the market.
Speaker 2: And I like, I understand something. So what's yeah, I know that's that's it. What's the issue?
Speaker 5: And the reality is I think they led into a half time here and didn't score a point and the Titans scored seven tries in the second half.
Speaker 2: You know, that's a team.
Speaker 5: And I think Kevy said it like there was just no fight in that second half, and it's curious. It's like, I just don't know. They just don't have any resilience. They haven't had any resilience at all this year.
Speaker 2: And I don't know.
Speaker 5: Maybe maybe, you know, there's talk about the kind of approach they took to the preseason after the Grand Final. Maybe they looked around, it's a roster for the superstars. They made the Grand Final. You know, maybe the preseason wasn't as tough or as hard as ruling as it should have been. Maybe Kevy, you know took the foot off the pedal a little bit. I don't know, because I think it's a mental It's not a roster thing, it's not a skill thing.
Speaker 2: It's got to be an attitude mental thing.
Speaker 4: I'll touch on that.
Speaker 3: I think it's really evident in sport and I guess in life in general. It's hard to wake up and get into the grind when you sleep in silk sheets. I think the saying goes. You see it with athletes all the time. You see it with people that move up in the world all the time that all of a sudden their lives kind of shift. You look at the Broncos eighteen months. Are they the superstars they are now or are they even close to it? No, all of a sudden that they're the hottest things in rugby league. They're almost the hottest thing in Australia sport. You go to one of their games and you're seeing people there that you would have never seen a rugby league game before. But they're there because they're not there to watch the freet They're there because they like these players and they like the superstars that these players have have kind of become.
Speaker 4: When you're getting all that love and attention. You're getting the Instagram follows, are getting.
Speaker 3: The endorsement deals, you're getting all that stuff. It's hard to get up, go to training in the morning and get up for the get up for the grind. Like they've got the high life, you know, you look at the way they live on their social media's and things like that.
Speaker 4: See it.
Speaker 5: I do agree with you, But if you look at Penrith, it's fair to say that Penrith experienced something similar. Right all of a sudden, they were the kings of Western Sydney. They were superstars wherever they went. You know, they're quite vocal on social media. They don't hold back on social media. But after they lost twenty twenty Grand Final, they worked even harder, you know what I mean, Like.
Speaker 4: They doubt about it where it come from.
Speaker 3: Though they came from that kind of that twenty nineteen they weren't. They weren't that crash hot Ivan Cleary blooded. A lot of young players they dealt with that kind of hardship. These young guys, guys like Reese Walsh, Patrick Carrigan, they're informed that will not the best form, but they're still playing decent footy. But they've been handed all this luxury straight away. I don't think they know how to deal with it, and I think that's what's making them struggle on the field, because they're not there for the fight that.
Speaker 5: You know, what is going on at training, other coaching staff being hard enough on them to build that toughness and that resilience. It's you know, you've got to we're getting to a point where man managing your players is as important as them being well drilled and well coached and skilled in the rest of it. And I think that's what Penrith has done really well. You know, like Ivan Cleary is obviously an incredible coach, but he's also been really good at managing his players, the personalities of his players. And I wonder whether you know Kevy or anybody at the Broncos has done a good enough job on the soft skills side of things as opposed to you know, they don't need too much coaching because they're already, like you said, individually, quite brilliant players.
Speaker 1: It's quite a juxtaposition when you think that this Red Hill is still the place where a couple of weeks ago they're erecting fences, mesh fences to keep the fans out and hiring extra security to deal with the popularity of this team.
Speaker 4: That was just on a tail spin.
Speaker 1: But speaking of someone from a rival club the other day about the Broncos, he pointed out something really interesting. He said that they know if you chip away at the Broncos this season, you can beat them, because he pointed out there was a lack of discipline in their defense where you had guys shooting out of the line, guys not trusting the guy inside, and the second efforts weren't there if they do concede a tackle bus last year you saw the hunger to sit there and chase down as a team and hunting a pack in defense, and they haven't done that this year. And that if you can break them open a little bit, you can get through them. And that's the way they're going. You saw what the Titans did the other day, and you saw I think, particularly what chem Serroaldo did the week before when targeting those edges and finding where they thought, Okay, this is where we can get through and the week before was done without Stephen Crichton, you know, And yeah, I think, yeah, I think there's a lot of soul search and do at Redhill ahead of the next season because you know, someone out my Wakers living at Penrith way very happily pointed out that the three of the bottom four teams are Grand finalists, beating Green Files from Penrith, from Penrith, the So you Tigers sixteenth, my ills, but we're fifteenth. We Broncos fifteenth now and South's fourteenth. That's vi versus.
Speaker 5: So Penrith are building their own dynasty all the while ruining everybody else's.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thanks a lot, Penrith.
Speaker 5: It's fascinating. You know, all those sides of their have gone on to to miss the final.
Speaker 4: Fascinating. That's a lot.
Speaker 6: Oh but yeah, anyway, can anyone stop.
Speaker 2: Penrith at the moment?
Speaker 5: I think I think maybe Melbourne have another gear in them, I reckon even though they've been the latter of leaders like all season, I feel like they're probably we haven't seen the best of them just yet. And I also think we probably haven't seen the best of Penrith just yet because they have. I mean, Fish was out Fish and Harris was out for this game. He'll be out for three more weeks once they're full strength.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't I don't know.
Speaker 5: I don't know, Like you look at the outside of the storm in the top four at the moment, you've got Kanula and you've got the Roosters. I don't think either of them at the moment can challenge those two the Roosters have. They're another one like just completely star studded outfit and for somebody called them for twenty minutes every week they look like the Harlem Globe Trotters, and then all of a sudden they switch off and again they're another team that hasn't found any consistency. They also haven't beaten anybody above them on the ladder this year, so I lost to Kanola, I think they've lost to Melbourne twice and I've lost to Penrith, so they don't really have a good record against the other genuine contenders. I don't know whether I'm thinking way too deeply into this, but if it holds true that defense wins premierships, then you have to be you have to include Canterbury in that conversation at the moment. And it feels, I don't know, I feel it feels like I'm talking, you know, shit when I say it out loud, But I mean, I think the average points conceded in the last like twenty years for the Premiere has been about sixteen points per game. And right now, outside of Penrith, Canbary are the best defensive team in the competition.
Speaker 4: Well, you do know.
Speaker 1: Twenty fourteen Grand Final yet Canterbury and four ninety four.
Speaker 6: Yeap, And then yeah, let's not talk about eighty four.
Speaker 5: Well, I don't know, maybe that's another one of those things that holds true. But yeah, if if defense does win Premierships, then you know, Canterbury has earned the right to be in that conversation.
Speaker 4: Going back to seventy four?
Speaker 3: Can I give, I'll give, I'll give a sneaky for you. Like I said, I was on Ladder Predict the last night just with a friend on the phone, and we'll kind of you must have.
Speaker 4: A fascinating It was about nine point thirty.
Speaker 3: I just finished Joe Rogan's new comedy special on Netflix, and I was like, I wonder we may soon we went through the last couple of rounds. I think that I don't see the Panthers in the storm both making the Grand Final. I think the Riosters still have a bit of footy left to play. That we haven't seen yet. And I also think the risk is going to get up for someone like Jared for the last couple of weeks. I think it's really important to them and Robo will get that into them. So I can see a world where the Roosters play Panthers in week one of the finals and can somehow knock them off.
Speaker 4: This could be our last podcast. Yes, just just wait, just wait.
Speaker 3: I still see Panthers making the Grand Final though, because then I see Panthers beating the storm in the week before, and then I have a Rooster's Bulldogs Grand Final this year.
Speaker 4: Roosters Bulldogs Grand Final.
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 6: Okay, geez, can I ask about anything?
Speaker 1: Was there any illicit substances?
Speaker 4: Take?
Speaker 1: That's wild, Although I do like I love the idea of Fatima of the camp being a bit more open because no offense.
Speaker 4: Guys, I see it.
Speaker 1: I think it's it's absolutely sounds a big bulb call, but it's penis to lose.
Speaker 4: They just bulldogs Panthers. Why don't say Roosters, I meant Bulldogs Panthers.
Speaker 7: Oh hang, because I said it, and then I was like, wait, that doesn't make sense, and then yes, so bulldogs Bulldogs will get in from the from outside of the fort and then Panthers will we'll get into the Grand Final by beating the storm.
Speaker 4: In the week before the ground.
Speaker 2: His Panthers.
Speaker 5: Oh, I mean that would be I mean when you think about Grand finals and I know we're being we're probably being very you know, selfish as people from New South Wales, but that is like, you can't get any better than that.
Speaker 3: You need to be stuck in that car park at home Bush. I hated to be stuck with that car park.
Speaker 4: We transport as well.
Speaker 1: That's all you need. Yeah, it's I like that. I like that's interesting. You got me a little excited because it's funny. Penrith weren't great yesterday against Newcastle. Newcastle I thought fought really hard and for a team down down on a little bit, but Penrith just seemed to find that way, that that bit of that bit of excellence that when you need that little five percent, Penrith have it and they have it in different areas where you know, I know it's been making clearly the last couple of weeks, but you've got Jerme Lewis been carrying them for a lot this season. Dylan Edwards still to come back when the forwards turn it on.
Speaker 2: It's I mean, yeah, I mean Isaiah A. YOUNGI was their third string fullback, do you know what I mean? And it's just it's ridiculous if they either get the McLean brothers.
Speaker 1: As well and they've saw another one in Powers. Sorry, I'm just venting. Session'm still in over Blaze TOOLONGI.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: No, but it's just just on that. It just got me thinking.
Speaker 5: And I can't remember which because of covered Penrith quite close to the last couple of years, and I can't remember. It was after the winning the first Grand Final. It's when I watched Penrith play, especially when they're completely like when they're peaking, when they're at their best, and it was something that I think it was Jerome that drevel I said to me, we know how to win Grand finals now, and you can sort of see it when when they're peaking, and I think that's probably another thing you talk about what separates them from everything else.
Speaker 2: They've got this sort of knowledge that you know on how to.
Speaker 5: Win big games that other teams just because they've been so good and so dominant, haven't had the chance to experience yet. So I think that also is another thing that is probably the difference for them that separates them from everyone else.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So am I right in saying I think the top seven spots standard mainly, I think are sewn up. I think those seven teams will play finals. Are we happy to say that the remaining teams your Dolphins, Raiders, Dragons, Knights are playing for the remaining spots and the Titans, who although the Titans and Knights both have to win all their games and overcomes some pretty horrific points differential, So I think your Raiders, unfortunately for Tama, have the toughest run of anyone on the way home.
Speaker 2: Oh sorry, I just need to I think I got the lad a little bit wrong.
Speaker 5: So the Dragons at eighth at the moment, Dolphins are ninth, Camera are tenth, and the Titans.
Speaker 1: Are Titans eleventh, Nights twelfth, yere. But I think your Raiders, who are sitting in tenth, Seagulls at home, Cowboys away, Panthers at home, Roosters away, Dragons away.
Speaker 6: I can't. I can't see that getting him into the eight.
Speaker 1: You know, the Dolphins the last couple of weeks, their losses are going to come back to haunt them. I think especially they've got the Warriors this week, but the next two weeks Tice Bulldogs away, Storm away. I think that'll be costly. That's their season on the line.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I think they I think the Dolphins be the Warriors. Depending on the result between the Bulldogs and the Dragons will vary how that game goes. I think I really think the Dolphins can only afford to drop one out of those and you're probably etching that against the Storm.
Speaker 4: So yeah, it's there's also.
Speaker 5: Like when you look at it and you know there's also Baniga pill games for all those sides in that run home. You know, like the Eels I reckon are going to be a thorn for some sides. The Titans are playing with.
Speaker 4: Try scond after me. Now it's too late.
Speaker 2: Bidens have played some really good football.
Speaker 5: I mean, we saw that the Knights refused to go against the Panthers and sort of those three side.
Speaker 1: Titans could be the best second half football team I've ever seen. Yeah, what about that halftime sprays from Das must be epic? My goodness, there's second halve's lately been terrific. But that's shows what potential they've got, I know, I think from this year, from next year on with Dez having his second year, to see what.
Speaker 6: He can do with them.
Speaker 2: But you know, they're still a J.
Speaker 5: Bimson and no Tenflali, so it's definitely got But that's what we sort of expected anyway. What we're seeing now from the Titans is what we sort of thought Des was going to deliver right from the start. It just took a little bit of a while for everything to gel and then out of nowhere, Kinney dispersed onto the scene and he just you know, it has added another sort of X factor player for them. So yeah, but sides like the Titans, like the Eels, like the Knights, I reckon will have a bit of a say into how the top eight ends as a booking.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah, Well, the Dragons have got two really big although they've got a lot of big games because they're sitting in eighth with a bad points differential, but they're on twenty six points. There are two points ahead of Canberra and then who were over at the Gold Coast in the night, so they've got that advantage.
Speaker 6: Sorry, yeah, ahead of Dolphins and Camera.
Speaker 1: But the next two weeks Bulldogs at home, Titans at home in and they're basically well those first two four point turnaround games for you know, where you sit on the ladder, you know you can put yourself that you know you can you can climb up towards Canterbury or you can.
Speaker 4: Escape the Gold Coast there.
Speaker 1: And then you've got that Shark's home game, which is huge, and then they finish off away to Paramatta and then Canber again at home.
Speaker 4: So it's a winnable lot of games.
Speaker 1: But if that schizophrenic Dragons outfit to what you're earlier turn up, who knows. So that's yeah, it's getting interesting. But yeah, from teams that didn't make it last year, Canterbury St. Georgia, lawarav got them coming in.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think, like I said earlier, I think Canberra had to win that game against Dotties just to keep their chances alive. You look at their run, it's probably a bit maybe a stretch too far.
Speaker 2: So the same with the Dolphins.
Speaker 5: You know, they're sort of sort of going through the same late season fade out as they did last year. So I mean, if you look at the if you look at the way the top eight looks at the moment, it's probably going to be that way in five weeks.
Speaker 1: And the Cowboys are going to buy as well, which means they only need one win to book a final spot. But Bronco's Raiders Storm Bulldogs not an easy run. So you know, for a team that's sitting six, then you know potentially could push for a top four spot. It's a tough lot of games if they managed to win those, who knows, but you know they could sort of slip down that pecking order a little bit, don't.
Speaker 3: I don't like the Cowboys, so I think if the team's going to slip out, it's going to be them. To be honest, I don't think they're locked in.
Speaker 4: Was that. I just think they're too inconsistent, way, way, way too inconsistent. You've got twenty eight points, they're sitting in six that.
Speaker 3: They almost I spoke to Todd Payden after their game against the Tigers and he was worried if I Popolie scored that they were going to lose and they had twelve men on the field, like you're I said it from from day dot. They they tend to just be scraping, scraping by scraping by. If they lose a couple of the next ones, and you know, things go right for these other teams, they can slide out. I don't think it's as locked in as as maybe it looks.
Speaker 4: Just maybe I'm saying that they just cool. If you go after me, that's fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah you when you did you allow a predictor yesterday? Where did you have them? N Okay?
Speaker 4: Wow, you sneaking in ahead of them. I've got the Dragons and the Dolphins. Dragons and Dolphins. Yeah wow.
Speaker 3: I don't think dragons nights. I saw dragons, Titans and Dolphins can make it. But I think the Dragons and the Dolphins can make it over the Cowboys.
Speaker 1: Wow, you're predicting a really to our North Queensland listeners, I must apologize that. I'll send your Tyson mobile number for when they do make the eight so you can bring and give him a bagging.
Speaker 4: But that's it's interesting.
Speaker 5: I think that might be the worst defensive side in the top eight at the moment too. They're scoring a lot of points, but they're conceding a hell of a lot of points as well.
Speaker 4: So who do they have the Queensland Derby? Yeah?
Speaker 3: So they've got the Broncos, which can always go either way no matter where the team's sitting. The Raiders they've got the buy which is two points in the storm, and the Bulldogs, like realistically they could lose all four of those games.
Speaker 4: So I think, I think it's a tough drawer, right, and you're struggling to beat my Tigers, You've.
Speaker 1: Got you've got a Bulldog's Panthers Grand Final. We've got the Cowboys slipping from six to out of the eight. I like the way the last few weeks is going to go up topsy turvy with according to the Tyson Jackson System.
Speaker 2: Three of three of the last four up in Townsville. So then might give them a bit of an advantage.
Speaker 4: Take that tice, talk to me, fives, that's what we want here.
Speaker 2: Wait, so what's your what's your prediction.
Speaker 6: I've got drag I've got the top eight as it is.
Speaker 2: As it is, Yeah, I sort of I tend to agree with.
Speaker 4: I think the Dragons are going to sneak in.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: If they because twenty six points, they're going to win. You're going to get three wins out of one to three wins out of five, win lost, win, lost win or lost win lost win, Oh no, May May We're going to be called one short on this. If they can't win back to back games again, they're going to have to That's a challenge, isn't it.
Speaker 4: It has to be.
Speaker 3: This week tells you what's gonna happen with the Dragons and if they can pull it off against the Bulldogs then in Wooing, I'd probably say that you can almost lock the Dragons in.
Speaker 4: They have a really good record there. But Cogra's it's only ten minutes away from Belmore. I think they'll be.
Speaker 1: Is it me?
Speaker 2: And again, this might be a generational thing, but is it me?
Speaker 5: Or is the the local derby between We can call it that right because the geographically neighbors between Canterbury and the Dragons have sort of overtaken the one that they have with the Sharks. I know there's it's you know, that's always been sort of the traditional one, but I feel like there's always a bit more passional.
Speaker 3: Like a generation or the Dragons and the Sharks as of recent have always been on opposite side of the there's always a bit more to playful between the Dogs and the Dragons, I feel.
Speaker 4: But now with the Dog's warback. It's great to have derbies.
Speaker 6: It's great playing well, that's when derbies matter.
Speaker 4: Sellouts. I love sellouts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like paramount of playing Penrith this week. It's a big game for Penrith. You know if you go, well, that's what you say. But I love that kind of beater. But I love I love derbies. I think they're great in footy. So I look forward to this weekend. But I've got to ask you. I want to get your thoughts on who is your most improved player this year because we're having a chat about this before and there's some names on our list, but there's no award for this officially anywhere. But we could go and hand out some plark to somebody. But the first thing that came to my list was Jacob kraz who is I think's playing some really mature football at Canterbury. He's been asked to play, you know, he goes on the wing, he's been asked to come into center and each time he's done it. You know, I've seen a lot out of him. I know he's only a couple of years into his career, but really really impressing me.
Speaker 3: It's a good it's a good pick. But when you say most improved, only think of Ja Kraz. I think Jame Kraz has always been really good. Like he hasn't really had a rollercoaster reform. He's just playing more consistently this year. Last year thing he had a couple of injuries and was in and out of the team.
Speaker 5: But we had a he had had a back injury, yeah, that he had to manage, and there was a bit of talked that, you know, he might have to say out in the first couple of rounds of the season, but he was able to get it good and he's been amazing since because he's I was having a look at actually some of his stats and I didn't realize, like, obviously he's a meter eater, but to average one hundred and ninety odd meters is that's just ridiculous.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it really is.
Speaker 1: He's only twenty two. He Dave Bud a couple of years ago. But he's winning percentage up until this year was thirty three percent. Now the Bulldogs this year or almost sixty percent. So playing what fifty odd games for Canterbury in those two years is almost like one hundred anywhere else Because you're forged in fire and but yeah, you're right for him, He's almost doubled his line breaks this year. He's improved, he's running meters, he's a good finisher. But I think I think his football maturity is really excelling. So I just think you know, you're right, Tys. He hasn't had a dip to be most improved, but he's been coming along and I think this year he's been one of the beneficially of what Cameron has come.
Speaker 6: To do with that club. The other guy at the Bulldogs is Reid Marnie.
Speaker 5: He's one I would think, like, I know, obviously he's been there, played some big games and got a lot of experience at the moment, but he just looks like a completely different player.
Speaker 2: To what he was last year and almost a different player to what.
Speaker 5: He was at the Eels. So you know, I feel like he's got a more all rounded game.
Speaker 4: A different role and he does and it suits him. Say you say role.
Speaker 3: I find it really interesting because I feel that this year he's picked up more of a leadership wrong without the captaincy beside him, you see him really trying to lead that team up front and trying to make things happen, even things like as much as I dislike it, but ripping into players like you know, that gets them up, that that works for them, and there's teams like that.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I tend to agree with you with with Reid.
Speaker 3: For me personally, I think Tommy's allowed from Manly has been probably the most improved player in the competition. You look at you know, he's he always was that guy. When he played for the Tigers. You looked at him and you're like, You've got so much potential, but they're just I don't know what a couple of injuries, injuries, and like even when he wasn't injured, he tend tended to find himself playing cup a lot there.
Speaker 4: But he's been He's been awesome for especially on the wing.
Speaker 3: I think for the Seagulls getting out of trouble, scoring tries, he's been great.
Speaker 4: Also, we can't look past Mitch Barnett.
Speaker 3: He's had an amazing year for the Warriors, and I think his Game three for the Blues was a big reason why why they did so well as well.
Speaker 2: Groups in there. I feel like.
Speaker 5: He just I feel like this year at the Seagulls we've actually kind of seen this potential that everybody spent the best part of a decade talking about just the way he runs the football. He's free, So I feel like he's definitely a more improved player at the Seagulls then.
Speaker 1: But he's in an improved team, isn't he. I saw his running game the Tigers. I don't think he was the blame for the ills of that club club.
Speaker 3: I think the reason why I didn't even think of Luke Brooks is because I watch him play for many and I still see the same player. I think the only difference is no one's talking about him, which for him I'm so happy for because he got hammered for no reason at times at the Tigers. So I mean, I tend to disagree with you're saying most improved because I think he's still the same player.
Speaker 4: It's just the spotlights off him.
Speaker 3: I think having someone like DC beside him as has taken that pressure off him, and he's doing his role. He's not doing anything spectacular, He's doing what he needs to. He's running games great, it's helping them, you know, have some really polished plays. And yes, I don't see him as the most improved. I see him as just you know, the attentions off him. I guess he's flying under the radar.
Speaker 6: But you're right, we're seeing a lot more of that, yeah, in that team, in that better setup.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And not to continue the Tiger's trend, but I feel like someone like Sean Blow as well. I don't know if he's being most improved, but he's definitely improved after going to Melbourne. And it was a bit of a slow start for him, you know. I don't know whether it was a fitness thing or just took time to learn the Melbourne system. He missed out in the first couple of games, came back I think was selected in round three, hasn't looked back since. And again one of those guys where when he was at Penriss because he came from pen Rest to the tig from memory, just another of one bit like Tommy Till out right just sort of couldn't really kick on when he was at the Tigers, and now it was just this big destructive edge forward that we sort of expect him.
Speaker 2: He's just reached the potential that we knew that he could.
Speaker 3: I remember his debut game against the Eels and he picked out Nathan Brown, and every time Nathan Brown, ranchorre Blaw was there, I'm sure and blow Rare Nathan Brown was there and all Tigers supports. We've got ourselves a gem here.
Speaker 2: And then yeah, like you said, just he's another one who had injuries.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he had a couple of injuries, but just tended to not kick on.
Speaker 3: And then we were hearing reports and when he went to Storm, he when he went to the Storm, he was struggling fitness wise and intensity wise for their preseason. So yeah, again like yeah, I probably do tend to agree more on blow than books with that because he has improved.
Speaker 6: What about what about Jaden Campbell.
Speaker 1: He was identified last year as a potential X factor for the Eels and I looked at went.
Speaker 6: Really is a bit small.
Speaker 1: I don't know where it quite where he fits and injuries and positional switches, et cetera. But I think he's thriving with the five eighths with number six years on his back. I like his running game. When we're talking about Luke Brooks, I like what he's doing there. I'm really enjoying watching his Footye. When I flick on to see the Times, like, Okay, I want to watch what Jaden Campbell's doing.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was one of those ones where for a long time he was probably a victim of that X factor tag because it meant that he got shuffled around a little.
Speaker 2: Bit, like is he X fact off the bench? Is he like a backline impact player? Is he a fullback? Is he you know, where is his best position?
Speaker 5: But I think it's also like what Tyson said about Brooks and DCE, I think Floren's done also a pretty good job of being a foil for Jaden Campbell. So he's taken off a lot of that pressure where the only thing he has to do is run. And like you said, in that situation, his smaller size, his agility when you know sides are fatigued, like we saw, you know, against the Broncos, he really comes to the foe And so yeah, absolutely you'd have him in that conversation. It's it's just a bit interesting to see is this his position? And he might be forced into that position just by the fact of the emergence of Kinney and they've still got a J. Brimson to come into the side.
Speaker 3: So there's that long jam there at the Titans. It's I mean it's a headache for des, but I mean it's almost a good headache. I don't see where you fit Brimson in though now because of how good Campbell's going in the five eight and then obviously got Kinning up the back, he's been a revelation for them. So yeah, again, he's probably he's always had that skill there. It's not like he ever played poorly. But moving into five eighths, I guess we've seen more of him and we've seen him play consistently and I guess almost get involved.
Speaker 4: He said he lost tackling as well, which I mean he's a small guy.
Speaker 3: He'd be the first person you want to run at, so I guess yeah, position wise, it's a big improvement and.
Speaker 1: A couple others off through up this up quick Toll May, I think it's been vastly. I think he stepped up. I think he stepped up big time. So when Lindsay Collins went down the other night and to Reell, May is the guy that made stack of tackles, Stacker hit ups. It's been a mainstay in the Danny Crankevich thirteen my super Coach team this year.
Speaker 2: So I think it might be in mine as well. Yeah, I might have started the season with him.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I've just I kept ignoring Tommy Sankster's.
Speaker 1: Intimation that I should sell him if I'm just gonna hold, just gonna hold, and yeah, proved revelation.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And speaking of logjams, the rooster sort of when you look at their forward pack, there is a bit of a log jam there. So but still like even though you know, still guys like Lindsay Collins now Spencer Lenni. You you know, obviously Jared's moving on, but still that log jam of prop forwards in front of him. But that hasn't seemed to bother him, and he has taken his game to another level. It'll be interesting to see post Jared what that forward pack looks like, whether Terrell's a starter with a Spencer lenis a starter. But I think what's really promising about him is it doesn't matter whether you start him or whether he's off the bench.
Speaker 2: The impact that he plays with has been massive for them.
Speaker 6: And what do you make I had to throw this guy in Jade and Sewer. I think he's been he's been really good.
Speaker 3: We's been to play Origin a couple of years ago and it looked like he was really going to kick on and then obviously had I think a bit of a quiet last year. Came back into the Origin Arena this year, although didn't hold his spot for Game three. I think that's almost a fire under him. And we've seen his best footing after after the Origin series, So yeah, I think he's definitely improved this year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, interesting here what our listeners think? So send him Send me an email, guys, Adam dot Mobs.
Speaker 2: This is one of those ones where I feel like there's going to be some names that we've missed. So if anybody's got any ideas, let us know.
Speaker 1: Adam dot Mobs at News dot com that au let us know, because yeah, I'm sure there's Jacob Little, Tyrone, Wishart. There's guys all through here that we could talk about. What we needed to move on to. Is for team's favorite segment?
Speaker 4: Is it? Yes?
Speaker 2: What are you watching?
Speaker 4: Watch?
Speaker 1: Well, I'm I'm only watching Olympics at the moment because I'm so busy with I love my Olympics.
Speaker 4: I've just I'm fallen into that.
Speaker 1: But I have been receiving some notes from our listeners on disaster movies because you know.
Speaker 6: That's kind of been my stick the last few weeks.
Speaker 1: Tim sent me an email and said, if Fatima likes True Stories, Pam likes Celine Dion, and I must disaster movie buff, we should get together to watch Titanic. He said, thanks, he loves the podcast. Yeah, I thought that was nice and tesa listening in from Zurich in Switzerland, he says The Tearing Inferno is the best disaster movie ever made.
Speaker 4: Paul Newman, Steve McQueen need I go on, but I will.
Speaker 1: It's not an over the top stupid movie, but more a foreshadowing of what could happen to these skyscraper has been built in the sixties and seventies. The tension starts building early and the time flies by. Yeah, and is it like the nineteen seventy four And there's a bloke on there O J.
Speaker 4: Simpson.
Speaker 6: So I don't know whether I got it. I got to admit I haven't seen this.
Speaker 1: So I'm going to go and see whether O Jay is as good in this as he was in the Acred Gun series.
Speaker 6: Now, you guys are a bit younger. Did you ever see nake a Gun? Leslie Nielsen?
Speaker 2: I've heard of it.
Speaker 4: But I haven't seen it, watched the first.
Speaker 6: You watched the first one and you didn't follow it up with Naked.
Speaker 4: Gun My Parents.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've heard of Paul Newman. I don't think I've ever watched a movie.
Speaker 4: I've heard of Paul Newman.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness, other than The Towering Inferno has been any Wait, let me rephrase that. What other prominent movies should I have watched that he's been?
Speaker 4: He's pretty much just a legend of screen. So we're going to go.
Speaker 2: And doesn't make tomato sauce.
Speaker 4: It's like George Former makes grills.
Speaker 6: Oh my god, move on, I'm out.
Speaker 4: That's it. You've lost me, Okay, I am.
Speaker 5: I'm actually still going through my True crime face so I'm up to so I was watching New or Homicide. I'm up to Los Angeles Onmicide, which is like the second season.
Speaker 4: Of that show.
Speaker 5: I'm also still going through Super Cell as well. So I thought, rather than because I'm not watching anything new, I will recommend Sweet Tooth, which is I don't know whether it's based on a book or not. Sorry, I watched things without doing too much research, but.
Speaker 2: Basically it's a world where there are hybrid children, so that are part human, part animal, and they're, like I Dotto, trying to find some people are trying to find a cure, cure for it. But to find a cure, I think they have to like exterminate the hybrid children. It's it's interesting, it's a bit sci fi. The hybrid's a cure. It's a fun, easy watch.
Speaker 4: I'm interested.
Speaker 5: It's one of I think it was the first season was one of the most popular shows on Netflix.
Speaker 3: Well, I guess, continuing on with your mutant type things, I went and watched Wolverine or Deadpool and Wolverine on the weekend. I'm not a big superhero guy. I like Batman, but that's about it.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I was.
Speaker 3: I really enjoyed this movie. I thought it was funny, good action scenes, huge, Blackman's aussy gem.
Speaker 4: So that was nice.
Speaker 2: Is it like Deadpool? Be well, very they like you've.
Speaker 4: Seen the first one.
Speaker 2: I think Deadpool you have.
Speaker 4: I think they're like they're like a team is the best way to put it. But yeah, watch watch the movie for team.
Speaker 5: It's a's two Deadpools, right, is there two?
Speaker 4: This is the third? This is the third, third installment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it was really funny. I was laughing out loud in the cinema, which I'm a bit embarrassing.
Speaker 1: We're laughing when he was making out with the ugly dog. It was literally the world ugliest dog starts in this movie. There's I've seen a clip it's yeasturb.
Speaker 4: That was pretty funny. It was good to see.
Speaker 3: The cinema was packed as well, which is always nice, so there was no free seats in there.
Speaker 6: Big bounds back for Marvel, A couple of stinkers.
Speaker 3: I stopped watching after the most recent Spider Man. I think that was my last one, and I was like, yeah, I can't watch it.
Speaker 1: Who do you know a spider manider Man?
Speaker 4: Growing up tom Owen has been pretty.
Speaker 1: Good since Superman, Okay, Spidery.
Speaker 5: I don't watch too many superhero movies. Is Joker super superhero?
Speaker 4: He's a villain.
Speaker 6: He's in DC where we're upsetting people for you.
Speaker 5: I feel like I'm going to be judged for this. The last the last time I went into a cinema.
Speaker 4: To watch the movie footage of the Dog. Sorry, yeah, it was The Joker.
Speaker 2: That was the last movie I watched in the cinema. It's been years now.
Speaker 4: The second one is coming out soon. The team will be back in the guys.
Speaker 2: I'll give you some homework and from from from the cinema.
Speaker 1: We're going to give you Hoyts vouchers and just going to make you sit there and watch some classics.
Speaker 2: So I would to say no.
Speaker 1: We're better push off, but to thank everyone for tuning in, because I'm sure there's a thousand Rugby League podcasts around there, so it's nice that you spent some time stopping by with us. So again, disaster movies if there's any others or any other suggestions for it, but I.
Speaker 2: Didn't say it was like a disaster months. Yeah, well to August now, so you still have you got a new or the Olympics.
Speaker 6: The Olympics got in the way, so I'm straight back.
Speaker 4: Into what can be a new c for August.
Speaker 2: Have you got any ideas.
Speaker 1: My daughter's getting to the age he's fifteen now, wants to start watching some more mature movies, but more mature.
Speaker 6: As in content. So I'm talking and things like that. I'm going to know you're not watching that.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, just terrible.
Speaker 2: So yeah maybe though, yeah, maybe give her a couple of years.
Speaker 1: No, No, someone will be reporting me to docks from this, so we'll get back to work. Thanks for stopping by, Thank you, Thanks for listening. You'll get the Daily Telegraph Enerill podcast right here in your Mattie John's podcas Feed Maddie and Cooper cronkeror on a hiatus for three weeks while Mattie is in Paris, but you'll still get the Maddie John's Family podcast every Friday as usual. If you like what you heard today, go and find the Daily Telegraph NRL podcast on your favorite podcast app in it follow, or download the Daily Telegraph app and listen to us there