Speaker 1: Welcome Wait Bay, Well, good evening. It's great to have your company on the late debate. I'm James Macpherson with Caleb Bond and filling in for Liz Storer rocking the Fara Force.
Speaker 2: That look is Denika de Georgio.
Speaker 3: You are Charlie's angels tonight. The of us are Charlie's angel.
Speaker 4: I thought we had a different bond girl, for sure you could.
Speaker 3: Apparently not.
Speaker 1: I have to say, before we came on here, Denika was posing like she was one of Charlie's.
Speaker 4: Tell everybody, you've got a little here we there we go.
Speaker 2: Very good? Is all right? We've got a lot to get into tonight.
Speaker 1: The coalition trailing in the polls have come up with a rap song attacking Anthony Albanesi. Could that be the thing that changes the direction of this election. We'll let you decide when we play it a little later. Plus, when we look at the papers, the ABC in hot water for apparently insulting the Australian War Memorial and a fresh plot to our Liberal MP. More redeem from the Victorian Liberal Party is if the Liberals needed.
Speaker 2: More strife in Victoria.
Speaker 1: We'll get to that when we look at what's making headlines tomorrow. But first, obviously, as you are very well aware, in three weeks time Australians go to the ballot box for what most people are insisting as one of the most consequential elections.
Speaker 2: We've had in years.
Speaker 1: The economy is an absolute disaster, national security as a shambles, immigration is out of control, power bills are unaffordable. And what do you think everybody's talking about whether or not Senator Jacinta Nampa Jimber Price should have said make Australia great again. Those four words have dominated the political debate in the last twenty four hours. The senator uttered those fateful four words during a press conference over the weekend with Peter Dutton.
Speaker 2: Here's a reminder of what happened.
Speaker 5: I'm so proud to be able to stand beside and to ensure that we can make Australia right again, that we can bring Australia back to its form glory, that we can get Australia back on track.
Speaker 1: Well, the media and the government immediately seized on her use of that phrase and accused Senator Price of channeling Donald Trump. Now, I found it kind of amusing that that's where we've gotten to.
Speaker 2: And you would have thought that would be the end of it.
Speaker 1: Just Enter Price said she didn't realize she'd made the comment, and that may well have been the case. National's leader David little Proud said it was an inadvertent slip of the tongue. But then, thanks to some brilliant investigative journalism, a damning photograph turned up of Senator Price and her husband Colin wearing make America Great Again habs for Christmas. And this is proof, as if we needed it, that just into Price and the entire Liberal Party a channeling the evil Donald Trump. There's a couple of things about this, Caleb and Danika that really annoyed me. First, this illustrates the inanity of the political discourse in this country.
Speaker 2: We're headed for a national debt of a trillion dollars, but that's not the problem.
Speaker 1: The problem is that the Center Price used a phrase borrowed from the evil Donald Trump.
Speaker 2: Second, it demonstrates the low.
Speaker 1: Opinion our political leaders have of the Australian public. As if we really believe that if someone says make Australia Great Again, that's proof positive that we're going to end up a clone of America probably the fifty first state or the fifty second state if Trump nuke's Canada. It also demonstrates what a threat to center Price is to the left. She's clearly the most articulate of the coalition MPs. When she speaks, people listen, people trust her, and so rather than take issue with any of her policy portfolios, they've taken issue with four words that she said in order to smear her as a Donald Trump clone and therefore right off and dismiss everything that she stands for. But just on that point, the thing that annoys me is that the Liberal Party didn't seem to own this. I mean, what's wrong with making Australia great again? And what's wrong with borrowing a couple of policies if that indeed is what they're doing, And I suspect they are with just Enterprise's doge like policy responsibility, where she's responsible for cutting government waste. But I mean, so what if she's channeling a little bit of the best of Donald Trump Anthony ALBANIZI once channeled was it Michael Douglas speech from the president, So it's just enterprise. If she is channelling Trump, she's channeling a real person, unlike Elbanisi who channeled a fictional character.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my problem with this, firstly with that photo that was dug up. It was actually dug up by our friends over at the Guardian. Nonetheless, they've done some excellent journalism. They found that photo and they went to town with her. Look whole big scary there she is just in Deprice at her husband. Making America great again. Controversial. Oh, for goodness sake, Who who cares if they're wearing maga hats? I don't care. It's not going to affect. It's not going to change anything, is not going to change any discourse. Who really cares? And God forbid that we actually want to make Australia great again. What do you think? Let's paint the picture of our country right now. Cost of living crisis, housing crisis, We've got terrorist flags being waved so brazenly in the streets, protests week in week out. People have been brought into this country, some who hate us, some who do not want to assimilate in this country. So yeah, it's not the country that many of us know and love. Many of us grew up in a country that we don't even recognize anymore. So God forbid, we actually do want to make Australia great again. I am very disappointed that the Liberal Party have not owned this. In fact, they have not been rolling just into price out from the very beginning. They should have. They have kept her on the back burner. She only really joined the campaign when you think about it, in the last week. Correct me if I'm wrong. It's only been in the last week. She is the secret weapon. Australians love her. They took to her obviously during this voice campaign. And my question now is have they kept her hidden because she's become the face of doge and that's their worry now that they've been that they've so been painted like Donald Trump and Donald Trump's policies that they've got we better keep her to the side.
Speaker 4: And this is the worrying thing about all of this. I mean, look from a strategic point of view, or the fallout from this was probably predictable and so from that point of view, to open your mouth and say make Australia graggin was probably dumb to some degree because you could have seen this coming a mile off. We knew it was going to happen. They're seizing on polling we've seen recently showing that Donald Trump is quite unpopular in Australia. And we know, of course that Alberizi has benefited from the tariffs that Trump has slapped on us. Ten percent. That the lowest that was given to anyone, So it wasn't that big of a deal, but Albanizi has benefited from it. But what it proves to me is that this campaign is so bereft of any vision anywhere. Two things. You've got a center right politician, mainstream right politician saying similar things to a mainstream right politician in another part of the world. So what's the big deal? Like, you know, people carry on in Australia like Donald Trump is some sort of bogey man, and oh, I can't believe those stupid Americans who voted for him. The majority of American electors voted for him. He is a main stream, center right politician. He's not some strange, far right right sort of bloke like they try to make out he is. But the reason they're so upset that she would try to use the language of a man who actually has vision and an idea for what he wants his country to look like. And that of course is Donald Trump in the US. Is that no one in this election actually seems to have any serious vision, and the Coalition is just as guilty of that as the Labor Party. Everyone is talking about what's happened for the last three years and maybe what will happen tomorrow, as opposed to how this country will look in ten years time. And so when you use the phrase make Australia great again, you're talking about the future. And somehow that seems to be a crime in politics these days to actually talk about how you want to improve your country, and that means talking about big picture, long term things like reforming government spending, like reforming immigration, etc. All the stuff that people don't seem to want to touch because they just want to limp through an election with lots of money and promises that get them over the line so they can plant their bums on the leather seats in Parliament again for another three years. Well I'm sick of it.
Speaker 3: Well it's actually feeding into the left's narrative. The left loved it's the modus operandi to create this fear, and we actually saw it in the US in the lead up to the US election. Remember it was the Democrats. It was the lefty media over there, the liberal media. They really push this fear that Donald Trump is going to take over American and he's going to be big and evil and all these bad things are happening, and you can see exactly what is happening here in Australia.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: It's the same narrative, but they're painting the Liberals as the big, bad, scary book.
Speaker 1: That's the irony, right. So the Democrats in the US Trump is Hitler. The Labor Party in Australia Duton is Trump. So they're stealing from the Democrats' playbook and then accusing the Liberal Party of aping the Republicans.
Speaker 4: It's pathetic, isn't it. And this is what happens when you're up with all these people who keep getting churned out of universities and they've had all this lefty stuff implanted in their brains, and the Greens know what's good for them. They want more of these people, of course, so they've announced today another one of these things that they'll be taking off to Alberanizi if, of course, we end up with a hung Parliament on May third, and Adam Bandt will have his little grab bag of goodies that he's going to go off to albow with to say, look, we'll give you a government if you just hand us a few things. Today. It's free university. Yes, it's going to cost a hell of a lot of money. I'll tell you how much after mister Band tells you just how great this is.
Speaker 6: The Greens will make big corporations and billionaires pay their fair share of tax so that everyone in this country can have a good quality, free public education.
Speaker 4: Ah. Yes, those naughty billionaires, they have to pay their fair share of tax. I suppose mister Band doesn't realize that the top ten percent of income earners in this country actually pay ninety percent, or actually a little bit more than ninety percent of the total income tax that is paid in this country. People who earn money pay plenty of tax and already pull their weight. But that doesn't matter because we've got to run this Robin Ord argument. But this would cost forty six and a half billion dollars every year to give free university in Tafe to anyone who wants it. Now, Look, Taife, I'm not so upset about because if it means we can get a few more tradees out there, that we know we need. That's a different matter, but we need more university students being churned out like we need a whole in the head. To put it into perspective, Forty six and a half billion dollars is almost as much every year as being spent on the NDIS. And we know how out of control the NDIS is. So he wants to spend the same amount of money on tuning out more university students to do what I mean, what jobs are these people magically going to fill that aren't already being filled. The jobs we need to fill in this country right now are things like trades, and we're trying to get people to come from overseas to do them. We don't need more people coming out with a Bachelor of Art to be a bugger all degree, do we? But of course Whitlam did it once and so it's a good thing. And I mean, for goodness, the Prime Minister had free university. I think that's probably the best argument to not have free university. And it annoys me every time we have these discussions about oh, we should you know, forgive student loans or university should be free. We have the Heck system, which is one of the most equitable systems of paying for university in the world. It's not like the US, where you have to take out massive loans that you are responsible for in order to get into college or university. The government pays for it for you, and then you pay them back over time once you reach an income threshold. At the moment it's fifty four grand, four hundred and thirty five bucks. As of the next financial year, you'll have to be earning at least sixty seven thousand dollars before you start paying back any of that hex loan. So it is a very free and fairly available system that can be used by anyone from any socioeconomic background anywhere in this country. It's not a great impost, but we must have free university to cost it forty six and a half billion dollars to the tax payer.
Speaker 1: But I hesitate to correct you because you are very rarely wrong. But I'm pretty sure it's forty six point five billion dollars over four years rather than every year. But still it's an extraordinary amount of money. The cost of university is an issue. I mean, it's ridiculous fifty thousand dollars for an arts degree, not that I know what you would do with an arts degree, but with.
Speaker 2: It it's about what it's good for, and even that would be doubtful.
Speaker 1: But free university degrees actually undermine university degrees.
Speaker 2: It's interesting as a.
Speaker 1: Father of kids, I watch my kids go through school and they really didn't apply themselves terribly well, I must say. Then they got into university or one of my sons is doing UNI, the other ones at Tafe, and all of a sudden they are studying because suddenly they are personally invested. There's nothing like personal investment to make someone commit to something. So this is something that Greens would need to explain. If you're going to suddenly make university degrees free for anybody who wants to take them up, how do you do that without devaluing them and having a whole of people in role in courses that they're really not committed to. We already have people chopping and changing ad nauseum. That is only going to increase. As for the cost will be born by big business, how long do you reckon it will be before we do have much big.
Speaker 2: Business in this country.
Speaker 1: As the Greens determined what is their fair share of tax to pay? Adam Bant, of course, always uses the same argument, and it sounds convincing if you enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. He says, in a wealthy country like ours, and then just add at the end of that phrase, whatever you want to be free in a wealthy country like ours, this should be free. That should be free. And that's a great argument for about five minutes. But after you've done that a couple of times, our country is not a wealthy country anymore because everything's free. We've destroyed big business and suddenly you've run out of other people's money to pay for all your grandiose schemes.
Speaker 3: Well, here's the thing, it's never Firstly, it's not free because we're all going to be paying for it. Let's be realistic. Secondly, we are already facing a trillion dollars in debt under labor, so you know, why not add in this some money grows on trees minority government type scheme under and banned as well. And thirdly, what sort of fantasy land is Adam ban actually living under? This is a disastrous scheme. Now, obviously, free education would have been fantastic. I would have loved to have done free education and not having to have paid my hex debt. But he hasn't clearly thought this through. It is only designed to win over the younger vote. But they want to high cup taxes. Just to go to your point there on big corporations or do you think that businesses big corporations is going to go, oh yeah, no worries, this is all well and good, no problems. Keep taxing us, keep taxing us. Of course not. They are going to stop investing. They're going to close down. It means that less money into the economy. It means that less work because they're going to have to start laying off workers and they're going to go overseas. They're going to take their business overseas. So terrific policy there. But also to make universities free, the standards would have to rise dramatically because all the courses would become incredibly competitive. It would be very hard, and the entry requirements would have to be tougher, and it just goes to show really that the Greens have absolutely no idea how business works in this country.
Speaker 1: One if the standards would have to go down to accounts, well, I feel like.
Speaker 3: The standards would have to go up, wouldn't they?
Speaker 4: I mean means, how many more students you want to shoehorn through? Right, because that's how the ATR system works. It's all just based on demand.
Speaker 3: Well, look, actually, speaking of standards, we know that one in three students in this country are currently not actually reaching basic literacy and numerousy exams they're not passing, they are failing. And we now know that possibly it could be teachers to blame for this, because a new report by the Grattin Institute has found that one in twelve trainee teachers actually dropped out of maths in high school one in twelve. The Gratin Institute also found that thousands of primary school teachers are struggling to teach mathematics, resulting in teenagers who use their fingers to count. So these teenagers, these teachers are expected to teach maths but actually can't do basic maths themselves. Now, if we bring up Giordana Hunter, she was actually the lead on this report. This is what she says. She says, quote taught poorly, students are robbed of a core life skill. Enumerate adults have worse job prospects and are more likely to struggle with routine tasks such as managing budgets and understanding health guidance. Now, I remember once I graduated from high school. About two or so years later, the ATAR so that the entry requirements to get into university for teaching and for nursing for that matter, they actually dropped the entry requirements. They dropped it to a lower level, and simply for the fact that they couldn't find enough teachers, nor could they find enough nurses. But that in itself is a big problem. We find out a week ago that to get into teaching they had to drop that ATAR result so low because they're so desperate that some students are able to go into university with an ATAR of thirty nine thirty nine. It basically means you can fail your year twelve exam, completely fail it, and you can still enter as a teacher. Now, how concerning is that when you think that these are the people that are teaching the next generation and if you can't even count, if you have to use your hand one, two, three, four, five, and you have failed all of your exams and then you're teaching the next generation, I think that is an absolute failure, and it is worrying. Now I'm not pretending like I'm good at math. I am not good at maths, full stop. That's why I'm now on television.
Speaker 4: The reason we are winning.
Speaker 3: Why I'm on television because I can't do math. But the point is that I'm got a teacher, and I worry for the next generation that they're being taught by these people. And literacy and numerously standards are so low in this country as it is. And here's the pro well.
Speaker 4: That eight thirty nine point ninety five or whatever, that's the bottom four percent of school leavers, right, which is just insane. And in what they did at the Grat Institute, they found that eight percent of teachers did no mass at all in year twelve. Those who did maths, the vast majority did like the easiest version of the subject available to them, which is exactly what I did in high school. But I didn't want to be a teacher. Thirteen percent of primary school teachers nine percent of high school teachers failed a standard global maths test in year ten. And these are the people who are sent off into the classroom to nurture the next generation. Is it any wonder that the results just keep getting worse and worse and worse and worse and worse, because of course it's a bit like compound interest. The more money you put into a system, the more money you end up making, and of course the more money you take out of the system, the worse it ends up being because you just keep churning these same people through who know less and less and less and less and less every time you go along. So it's diminishing returns, right, But I had to chuckle at the answer that the Gratin Institute came up with, which was that we need to reteach all of these teachers about mathematics, and in order to do it, we need to send people in on two hundred and fifty grand a year to teach these teachers how to do maths. I mean, how do you get out the other side of a university degree to be a teacher and not know how to teach basic numeracy? Like it just seems so straightforward, and we're like, well, let's check a bit more money, let's check a bit more money at it. The Australian Education Union has been telling us for decades the biggest problem in the education system is that we don't have enough money, and year on year they chuck more and more money into it, and the results to you're getting worse and worse. So what do we meant to do?
Speaker 1: It's amazing how many institutions in this country have that exact problem. It's quite common the ABC have that problem as well.
Speaker 2: If only they.
Speaker 1: Had a little more money, their programs would improve. The other amazing statistic from that Gratton Institute report was that a quarter of primary school teachers did not feel confident to teach maths to kids in grade six. So I guess grade six, you're talking about what ten year olds? At a quarter twenty five percent of primary school teachers and we wouldn't feel confident doing that. It's all very well to say, well, let's have remedial teaching for teachers dealing with the methodology of teaching. Then you're you're simply giving remedial teaching to teachers who are teaching a flawed methodology anyway, And this is another one of the findings from this report is that mathematics is typically being taught in primary school in the context of games and helping students to discover answers rather than I don't know how you guys went through school, but I remember standing in a line of kids, and when you got to the front of the line, you asked a times table five fives And if you didn't know that five fives was thirty six, whatever it.
Speaker 3: Is, I.
Speaker 2: Five. I know what it is to see if you're paying.
Speaker 1: Attention, you know, John deliberate And this was a competition that was it was repetition, repetition, repetition, until you.
Speaker 2: Learned your times tables.
Speaker 1: By wrote the finding from this study that we've got kids in high school who are counting on their fingers. Sounds unbelievable until you go to a cafe and pay in cash and wait for your chain, and you'll be waiting a long time to do any song.
Speaker 3: We used to sing the times tables. That's how we learn. And you do you commit it to memory over time. Don't ask me now. I'm not going to do a James McPherson and give a crack on five television. But that's how you learn over time. But if the teacher doesn't know that, then we are sitting up the next generation to completely fail.
Speaker 4: Now I'm just looking here. It says on the clock where it's how many minutes have we got? We've got one, two, I don't know how many minutes you've got left to the ad brank I can't work.
Speaker 1: Well, let's keep going before we run out of time. Let's talk about traffic in Sydney. I'm a Sydney resident and have given up trying to drive into the CBD because it's just exorbitant cost when it comes to tolls and when you get there eventually it's impossible to find a park. And I'm not the only one with this problem. The NRMA have done a survey of almost five hundred fleet companies and found that one of the biggest problems we've now got in Sydney is that delivery drivers can't find anywhere to load their goods because loading zones have disappeared as bike lanes have taken their place. The survey of more than four hundred and fifty eight fleet running businesses found more than eighty one percent believe congestion across Sydney has worsened in the last year, with more than half reporting their fleet spend twenty to thirty minutes more in traffic every day than they did just a year ago. One operator said he's now got his delivery drivers leaving the depot. An hour earlier than they were just a year ago, because it's so difficult to find a spot to unload all that you.
Speaker 2: Have to deliver.
Speaker 1: He said, he's got trucks literally going around and around the block several times trying to find a space. I was curious when a spokesperson for the City of Sydney Council addressed this problem and said two things. First, well, this is a problem that we're finding right around the world.
Speaker 2: Oh well, that's all right. Then this is a common problem.
Speaker 1: But we're finding this problem right around the world because right around the world we've got stupid councilors making dumb decisions. That's no excuse for the City of Sydney. But then the council spokesperson came up with this beauty said, well, the answer is a congestion tax.
Speaker 2: Ah, how they work.
Speaker 1: They cause congestion with their stupid bike lanes and then they say, oh, we've got congestion. Well, what we're gonna have to do is we're going to have to tax people now for driving into the city. What a wonderful scenario that is. But of course, Caleber, it's not a bug, it's a feature. This is by design. The city of Sydney Council's own website says that one of their goals can you believe this is, and I'm quoting, to decrease personal car ownership? Can you believe that Clover Moore and her fellow council members have decided one of the reasons that they have been elected is to make sure that fewer of us actually bother to own cars. It goes on to say they believe one of their key goals for being in local government is to motivate residents to walk, or to cycle or to take public transport. They want ten percent of all trips within the CBD to be by bicycle. They of course say that this will have untold environmental benefits. I'm just wondering, when you've got traffic banked up, or we've got delivery trucks spewing out missions, going around and around the block repeatedly trying to find a parking space, how that's good for the environment.
Speaker 4: Yes, you chew through a lot of fuel while you're are It is bad for the environment. And of course all the people sitting out having their al Fresco coffees as the truck waits to be able to pull in to deliver the coffee beans that can then be ground up for you to drink them. It is insane. How do they think a city operates? Right? And Sydney's not getting any smaller. There are millions of people moving to this country and the vast majority of them go to Sydney or Melbourne, and so that will necessarily, you would think, mean that more people are going to be going into the CBD. So if you've got more people going into the CBD, that means more people who want to go to cafes, people who want to go to restaurants, who want to go to shops, etc. And funnily enough, things have to get into those shops and cafes and restaurants somehow. Now we haven't worked out how to do it by drone yet, so most of it is done with trucks and vans, and those trucks and vans need somewhere to park, and funnily enough, if they need to supply more things, we may even need more trucks and vans on the road. If Clover Moore had only realized that the answer to all of this was actually to shut the door to immigration, maybe she'd finally get on board with the idea, because then you'd have fewer people coming into Sydney and then you'd have less problems with more vehicles driving around. But yes, this is exactly the point they design all of this. The bike lanes aren't actually about getting people to ride their bikes. They know that people aren't going to ride their bikes on these bike lanes all very few people do because we're not Amsterdam. I mean, Sydney is a big city. You don't live at Penrith and then go, oh, we'll be I'm going to ride into work tomorrow. Do you You either catch public transport if you have a decent service available to you, or if you don't you drive. You've got no choice. So they just make life as difficult as possible, I mean, charge you as much as possible and say, oh well, there's nothing we can do about it. They created the problem.
Speaker 3: I'd like to know has does Clover Moore ride a bike into work? How lod is her mode of transport to get to the offices in the city there, That's what I would like to know. But you know, once again we see this green zelotry on display bike Clover more time and time again. This is not the first instance of it, and her big mission now to replace parking spots with bike lanes is claiming businesses one after the other. And don't forget that these businesses actually want to function. They want to put money into the CBD, which we so desperately need. Obviously in Sydney's CBD, when you've got restaurants, cafes and pubs empty all the time because people haven't gone back to work because they're working from home. Still, that's a whole other issue. Working from home. You want actually to inject money into the economy. So if you can't get car to drop off deliveries to actually help these businesses function, then what's the point. They may as well go broke. That's the problem. But once again it's Clover Wore and her radical ideas to try and greenify the city of Sydney, and it's having a huge impact on businesses. I've had enough.
Speaker 4: I don't know what it's like these days. I haven't lived in Adelaide for a little while and the population has grown a bit since I left. But I remember one time I had a friend over from Sydney and we got in the car and I drove into the middle of the city and I parked my car on the side of the road. She said to me, what are you doing? Said, what do you think I'm doing? I'm parking the car. She was you can do that in Adela you can park the car just on the side of the road in the middle of the city. I was like, yeah, we can do that, and it looked at me like it was an alien who'd landed from Mars. This idea that like you could park the car on the side of a CBD street and pay like two bucks an hour or something like it is genuinely insane for people who live in big city.
Speaker 1: I have parked my car in the CBD of Sydney. I sold my kidney, got a really good prize. Yeah, exactly, made for most of the parking exactly.
Speaker 4: And then you had to sell your car afterwards when they put the fine on them because you'd overstayed. You're welcome. This is insane. I feel like we get another one of these stories out of the UK every week, whether it's people having coppers rock up to their door to arrest them for posting memes, or that the police themselves are going round the bend in their training of their officers and that's exactly what we see today. The West Yorkshire Police, which previously had put a ban on hiring any more white people because you know, racism is good when you're trying to solve racism, They've now decided that all of the constabulary need to be taught about anti racism, specifically the history of slavery in the UK, because you know, when you're going out to deal with people posting memes on Facebook in twenty twenty five, you need to know what was going on at least two hundred years ago. The Chief Constable John Robin said, I am sorry for the way policing has treate to black people across West Yorkshire in the past. I truly am, and I'm sure he was crying as he said this. I cannot change the past, but I can change the future. I want us to become an anti racist organization. Now, yes, you correct, Chief Constable John Robbins. You cannot change the past, but the Brits already changed the past. In the past. It was eighteen o seven when they banned the slave trade across the Britain and its colonies, and by eighteen thirty three they had banned slavery all together. This was two hundred years ago, and you now think that you have to teach coppers about that because it somehow has something to do with their jobs now somehow, I don't think so, but if it goes anything like this old skit from the BBC, at least it'll be entertaining.
Speaker 7: I'm delighted to be giants by a member of the Chinese community as I apologize for using the phrase Chinese whispers. I appreciate that this is deeply offensive to the Chinese. I completely understand why they went totally mental. I'm delighted to be joined by a mental health campaigner to witness my apology for using the phrase they've gone mental. I can see some of you surprised that I'm apologizing, but gone of the days when getting an apology out of me he was like getting a five. And I have an Aberdonian eh, I would like to apologize to the largest Abobdonian community.
Speaker 4: Yes, that's probably actually what happened in the stations in West Yorkshire. I mean a two day cultural awareness bloody thing too, so you can learn about slavery. What does that have to do with your job as a copper? On the beat in the UK today.
Speaker 1: I think the problem is John Robbins doesn't want to be the Chief Constable. He wants to be William Wilberforce. Unfortunately that was a couple hundred years ago. That's one of the problems for modern day people, particularly in western nations where we have such amazing human rights, because a lot of these battles have already been fought. But everyone wants to be part of making history. But what do you do when these great battles have already been fought and one will you decide to fight them all over again, only to make things worse. I just wonder when they're teaching the British coppers about their country's history in slavery, do they also teach them that the Brits outlawed slavery around the Commonwealth. Do they also teach them the Brits weren't the first to be involved in slavery, and long after it was banned in the Commonwealth, that continued in other parts of the world. Do they also teach them that there were Africans involved in the slave trade who profited from the sale of their own people. I'm sure none of those things are taught they're spending four point five million pounds on a two day seminar for ten thousand staff. Imagine if that four point five million pounds was spent on I don't know, fighting crime, removing.
Speaker 2: Knives from the streets of London.
Speaker 1: But the Deputy Mayor of Policing in West Yorkshire, Tracy Babin, here's a clue as to why this is happening. She describes herself, She's the Deputy Mayor of Policing as quote passionate about inclusion as a black woman and mother of two gay children. I'm working to recruit more diverse police and staff. I want to support the police force to become anti racist and anti misogynistic. Denika, how about we just had a police force it was really good at finding criminals.
Speaker 3: Well think So, let's not forget how well DEI hires went over in the US with the FBI. Remember what happened when Donald Trump there was two attempted assassination attempts on Donald Trump's life. Remember how well DEI turned out for the FBI. Yeah, it's like deja vu right now, isn't it. But over in the UK, and when you actually break this down, imagine being so breathtakingly woke that you would actually come out publicly and declare that you want to discriminate against white candidates when you have a crime crisis, not just in Yorkshire where this is happening, but across the United Kingdom, when you actually need as many resources as possible right now, you need as many boots on the ground to deal with all the issues that you've got. But no, if you are white, please do not apply because no, no, no, that's very offensive. You know what this is, it's actually racism. We don't talk about this enough. We don't talk about this enough because there's always this misconception. No, but because you're white, therefore no one can be racist against you, as this white privilege that has developed over in over time in society. It is a load of absolute nonsense because that to me, this whole story, to me is racist.
Speaker 2: Well, there's a sinister element to this.
Speaker 1: Any were right to refer to what DEI has done in the United States. But you don't need to go to the United States to see how sinister this is. Because the UK have got their own example where we had some years ago gangs of men raping hundreds of murials and it was allowed to go on because police and public officials were afraid of being labeled racist if they followed it up. But this kind of training would seem to only perpetuate that sort of problem which has been devastating for so many people.
Speaker 3: And look, speaking of race, I want to bring it back here to Australia because you at home might remember, you might not know, but we actually have a race commissioner, a race discrimination commissioner in this country high and by labor. And if he didn't know, we actually pay this man four hundred thousand dollars a year to do well crickets. I am not too sure, to be quite honest, what we pay this man to do. This is giridr Haran siver Raman, and this time he's actually having a go at Australia's counter terrorism laws. Now. He had a speech to Deacon University in October last year where he claimed that they can flate in Islam with terrorism. This is what he said. Quote. One of the most compelling arguments made by the Australian Muslim Advocacy Network is at Australia's counter terrorism legislation's definition of terrorism, which includes religious motivation, consists results in the conflation of Islam with terrorism. It's hardly surprising that if you want to avoid scrutiny and surveillance, you would bow to the pressure of shedding your religion and assimilating to the dominant culture. Now, let's be very clear about this. Our laws are not and to Islam. Would you believe it? In fact, none of our laws actually discriminate against a group, a religion, a society. Nothing. That is why the laws are in place. Now I've taken it upon myself, Caleb and James to actually look at our criminal code. I've gone through it myself, and it defines a terrorist act as an action or threat of action which is done with the intention of advancing a political, religious, or ideological cause. But action will only be defined as terrorists if it causes serious physical harm or death, serious damages to property, in dangers at person's life, or creators create serious risk. So if we are indeed actually looking perhaps firstly for a doge example, I would have a look at this department in particular. But we are paying bureaucrats like this four hundred thousand dollars, and this is the problem to peddle this sort of division in our society, and that is where the problem is here. I just think it's a disgrace to come out with comments.
Speaker 4: He kind of said the quiet part out loud here as ANIMI If he is saying that this law, which simply says you cannot use your religion to threaten other people with death or violence or harm is somehow discriminatory against Islam and conflates Islam with terrorism, seems to inst Is he not kind of suggesting that that is commonplace in certain parts of Islam, Like you're proving your own point. Man. When I first heard that we had a race commissioner, I thought, you pee, there's another blow. BE loved the gg as much as me ggs so and then I find out that he's actually paid four hundred k to run around telling us how terrible we are. I mean, imagine you can be paid four hundred k in Australia to tell Australians how racist they are with Australian taxpayers.
Speaker 1: I've just got one question about this. Why is the race commissioner concerning himself with Islam? The race commissioner to learn what a race is. Islam is not a race, It's a religion. He's got no idea what he's talking about. We're going to go to a break. When we come back, look at what's making news tomorrow, including the ABC in hot water apparently slamming and smearing the Australian War Memorial that's coming.
Speaker 2: Up in just a moment. But welcome back.
Speaker 1: Let's take a look at what's making news tomorrow. Daniki, you've got the Courier mail, the ABC in some hot water.
Speaker 3: Yes, headline on the Courier mail is nothing. Sacred memorials fury at Last Post insult. It says the Australian War Memorial has officially complained to the ABC over a four Corners episode it claims made it sound like noisy construction work was occurring during the Last Post. The Memorial has written to the ABC chairman Kim Williams, and is also dealing with the Public broadcast as on boardsman over several concerns relaying that episode. Now, the War Memorial director Matt Anderson claims that he was disappointed by that episode, which gave a false impression that construction was happening during the Sacred Evening ceremony. Now, it is worth pointing out now that the ABC has denied this claim and standing by their reporting. But it's quite significant for the Australian War Memorial to come out and say that. I mean, if this is actually the case, that is very offensive to the Australian War Memorial. If that is the again, the ABC is denying the claim, but that's highly offensive. I mean, it's sacred. The last post we know should be sacred.
Speaker 1: That the problem the ABC have got and I don't know whether this claim is legit or whether the ABC are actually correct. The problem the ABC have, of course, is that they've got form with editing footage. Famously the adf Soldiers, where extra gunshots were added direct to footage that was broadcast.
Speaker 2: And that's the problem the ABC have.
Speaker 1: When your credibility has been found to be wanted on several occasions, then every time there's something that people are inclined to believe the worst, that's probably what will happen here.
Speaker 4: And I think the Australian War Memorial would have better things to do than be complaining to the ABC if they feel like they had a reasonable case to take up. Let's go to the front of the Advertiser tomorrow where it is spears hid Coke in bed draws. It's an interesting little story this one. Former opposition leader David Spears crashed rocks of cocaine stashed in his bedside draws and fireplace on his kitchen bench before snorting it through banknotes, telling friends he was quote always happy to catch up for a drink and a bag. Court documents reveal it can also be revealed Spears exchanged hundreds of messages with the men to whom he supplied the drug. Now you may well remember last year David Spears had to stand down from his position as opposition leader and then eventually left state politics in South Australia after a video came out showing him snorting a white powder and he said at that time that that video was deep fake, it was AI generated. The police thin charged him with the supplying a drug. He said he would fight it and then he turned up in court and pleaded guilty. So it's an interesting little story how this has developed from deep fakes to now actually, yes I did do it and apparently it was being kept in the fireplace and the big sid.
Speaker 3: What a wild ride of a story this is. It's actually fascinating to watch it play out to be honest.
Speaker 4: Like, if you're going to be that, if you are the opposition leader, do you not just have enough sense to say, look, you know, maybe I have a drug taking past or whatever. Who knows. Lots of people have done lots of things when they were young, But I'm serious about my political career now and I'm going to behave from now on. How hard is it serious?
Speaker 3: Well, why would you say deep fakes from the beginning?
Speaker 1: I know it was a shock on the su Imagine if you know you're away and maybe someone stayed at your place and decided it's a bit called adelaide.
Speaker 2: Often get on the place on that.
Speaker 1: I know the bats in Adelaide might love it.
Speaker 3: Is that.
Speaker 1: Let's go to the front page of the Herald's son interesting story here. Just when you thought the Victorian Liberals had got their act together, John Persuito is gone, Brad Batten seems to be making headways in the polls against Jacinta Allen. But gee, they love to blow themselves up, the Victorian liberals deeming exit plot reads the headline. Liberal operatives are plotting to end the political career of defamed MP more Redeeming in a move set to reignite a major factional party war. The Herald's son has confirmed multiple candidates are preparing to challenge for Missus Deming's number one position on the Western Metropolitan Upper House ticket when pre selection contests begin shortly after the federal election.
Speaker 2: Now, the context around.
Speaker 1: This is that she was found by a court to have been defamed by former Liberal leader John Persuto. Damages are now being worked out, but it's expected that those financial damages against John pursuito probably will bankrupt him, forcing a by election in his seat. More Redeeming has been under enormous pressure. Could you just drop the financial pursuit of damages? And of course why should she. She was badly defamed. She's entitled to it. And so as now as retribution, they're lining up to nicoret pre selection. And I mean the Federal Liberal Party as well must be furious at the timing of this, right, and they're going well in Victoria, the Federal Liberal Party. The last thing they need is for the state branch, yeh.
Speaker 3: But the state branch is doing so well at the moment too, Brad Batton. And then this happens exactly.
Speaker 4: It shows what a rabble the Victorian liberals are You would have thought that they'd have learnt their lesson after Deeming took Pursuito to the cleaners, and that was an entirely avoidable situation sua that case didn't even have to run at all. Deeming offered to settle, and Pursuito said no, it's only because him and his cronies went after in the first place that we've ended up here and they can't get the message that maybe now we should just let sleeping dogs lie and try to have a united front, not only to do well in the federal election, but at a state election in twenty twenty six. Nomes blow it all up.
Speaker 3: No, let's move on to the Townsville bulletin. Now the headline there is Judge goes gentle on prolific teen Krim. A North Queensland magistrate conceded she could have given a teenager more jail time after his Christmas Eve primes free but believe there was still hope for him despite his lengthy crime histories. A nineteen year old was sentenced in Townville magistrates called on Monday for causing fifty one thousand dollars in damages to bow and businesses during a strig of ram raids which ended in a police chase of the teen's arrest. Well, well, here we go again. It's the same thing we hear over and over again. Isn't as a slap on the wrist, off you go, repeat the repeat offender. The cycle of crime keeps continuing. If you're not going to set a standard, if you're not actually going to lock these kids up, teach them a lesson, that's just my opinion. Lock them up, teach them a lesson. This is going to keep happening. The problem is the judicial system here, because this is what they do time and time again.
Speaker 1: Well, she said there was still hope for this young offender, and there's always hope for everybody. The problem is, it's not the job of our judiciary to deal in hope. It's the job of our judiciary to ensure justice is done. This kid was out on parole for similar offenses when he went and did this, and the judge, by her own admission, described his juvenile criminal record as quote unquote extraordinary, and then said I could have sentenced you the longer jail term, but I'm only going to give you two years. It could have been much longer than that. No wonder people are fed up with the judicial systm.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, there's also hope that I'll go home tonight there'll be a brand new Rolls Royce at the front. Nigella will be cooking me dinner. I mean, you know, we can all have hope, but it's just not realistic. Now the story very quickly before we get to the break, upside down world where the crims chain police. While we're on this theme, anywhere else in the world, the police would be in hot pursuit of thieves in a stolen car, but in the upside down world of the Northern Territory, it's the cops on the run from the crims. Last weekend, t he police were filmed being chased in their own vehicle by young men in a stolen Toyota flat bedland Cruiser. The alleged thieves so cocky they rear ended the fleeing police car. And when you see things like we just talked about, then is it any wonder that young crims think they have it over the cops and the judiciary.
Speaker 1: Well, we're going to go to a break, but stick around. Coming up in just a moment, what do you do when you're trailing in the polls and an election is only three weeks away. Well, if you're the Federal Liberal Party, you release a rap song that's coming up in just.
Speaker 2: A moment, welcome back. Well, how does that old song go? Caliber? Kiss is just a kiss unless it's with Tania Pliversec.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we've finally found something more awkward than meeting your mother in law for the first time, and it's Anthony Albaneazi with Tania Piliverseik at the Labor campaign launch over the weekend. I mean, take a look at is she has clearly gone in for the hug and elbows not having a bar. I mean, look at that. See she goes puts grabs onto the hands and it's like, what oh, what is going on there? Clearly there's beef between the two. But have a listen to how Blibersick tried to explain it away.
Speaker 3: Looks like you're going in for the hug.
Speaker 4: Here we go going in, but he's kind of just grabbed your hands.
Speaker 3: Done the ORCS thing where he's done the double shake, was that we put him this sound effect.
Speaker 7: Joe's up a bit orcs.
Speaker 3: What happened there?
Speaker 6: Do you know what I reckon we should still all be elbow bumping, because during an election campaign, the last thing you want is to catch a cold from someone.
Speaker 4: Oh that was elbow being health I mean please.
Speaker 3: Joyce's face was absolutely the best, and I think he sums it up perfectly for all of us watching that.
Speaker 2: You wouldn't have seen that clip.
Speaker 1: But after she said, oh, you know, bump elbows, Barnaby, Joyce went shoulder chart, which is probably more reflective of how fiverse feels about the Albanizi. Of course, coming up to the election, the coalition and trailing in the polls, there's still a lot of undecided voters. However, so what would cause people still trying to work out which way to go Liberal or Labor to swing their vote towards the coalition. Well, the Liberal Party have come up with a rap song, because of course that's going to do it. It begins with the line referring to grocery prices. It ain't the way it's supposed to be. Indeed, live in shad to check.
Speaker 4: Labor got to still and self stressed. We need to find a solution.
Speaker 3: We to switch up the people in the power. I just want to put food on the table willing to do it.
Speaker 4: I got and bring them braces down.
Speaker 3: This is what we need because.
Speaker 4: Our bull's got to leave, ourbow's got to leave.
Speaker 2: As mature this desk.
Speaker 1: I'm not doing the dance because I am not convinced. Still swayed by such immature and rot.
Speaker 3: Oh, I got loosen up, have some fun. I actually like it. I'm not going to add it to Spotify anytime soon, but I think it's a vibe.
Speaker 4: Oh, I know I'm going I'm getting rid of Classic. If I'm on the way home tonight, I'm listening to that.
Speaker 1: Well, that's all we've got time for stick around. Coming up is The Reader Petty Show.
Speaker 2: Good Night. We'll see it tomorrow