Speaker 1: Before we jump into this episode, I want to let you know about something new I've created just for you now. I've been interviewing health and wellbeing experts for more than a decade and one question I get asked all the time is what brands do you actually use and trust? So I decided to make it easy. I've created and curated a well being marketplace featuring products from brands I genuinely love and have discovered through the years of conversations with leading experts. Think of it as your shortcut to better choices without having to do all the research yourself. Head to Maritza Barone dot com. Forward slash loves to explore my favorite brands and enjoy exclusive discounts along the wait just for you. Let's live Better Together. Welcome to the Things you Can't Unhear podcast. I'm your host, Maritza Barone. Get ready to hear moments that will help you to see the world differently and inspire you to become the happiest, healthiest and kindest version of you. Today's conversation comes to you live from Pranafest, Queensland's leading festival for health, wellbeing and conscious connection, held among the Sacred Hills and Living Earth.
Speaker 2: Of wood Fortier.
Speaker 1: Today, our conversation is with none other than singer, songwriter, storyteller, musician Naco. As many of you know, his songs have changed lives, have been a personal soundtrack to so many people through healing and transformation, and today we're going to find out more about the person behind the music. So please join me in welcoming Naco. Welcome to things you had on here. How's your Prana Fest been so far?
Speaker 3: A filled, calicious? It's been short so far.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: It came in last evening and rolled right into the stage and had a really wonderful set.
Speaker 3: Thanks for coming out tonight.
Speaker 5: Ye know th.
Speaker 4: Last time I was here two years ago, not on this site, maybe three years ago now, it was pouring down rain. So last night it was a treat to have a bit of what felt like Pacific Northwest weather where I'm from. So I felt right in my element and everybody's energy was on point. It felt like everybody was.
Speaker 3: In the pocket.
Speaker 4: You know, when you're on stage and you're sort of glazing the crown, checking the vibes, you know you're doing.
Speaker 3: Less scanning, scanning, scanning food vibes, scanning, sometimes, you know, the pockets are a bit you know, mute. But last night everyone was like up to eleven.
Speaker 1: This is your permission to be up to eleven and here andy everyone too, which.
Speaker 3: Is common for Australians. I have found eleven right where you guys like to be.
Speaker 1: Speaking of Australians, I have stalked your Instagram and all your social media and you don't mind impersonating the old Australians, do you. Well?
Speaker 4: I have found that it is y'all's culture out here. One are the few places in the world where you can take a pits.
Speaker 3: So that's you know, I can't really do it anywhere else.
Speaker 4: Americans are okay with it because you know, we're American and we're already like that. So it's great to be able to come to a place and just be funny and you know, take a show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we love it.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to let you leave this stage without giving us your best Australian accent, that's for sure. Now be here.
Speaker 2: What what did.
Speaker 3: You say a pop with?
Speaker 4: Now be? I don't think pop back that was actually a cover song, I asked Brett a couple of years ago. I said, well, who's the oldest famous country singer y'all got and he was very specific about it being slim, So I became a fan immediately and I'll.
Speaker 3: Listen to his whole catalog. I love it.
Speaker 2: I love it well. I love the origin of your accent. That makes so much sense.
Speaker 1: Now you are here in Australia for your Take Back your Power tour.
Speaker 2: What does this tour mean to you? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Well, I just turned forty. I finally made it, yell. It feels like entering forty in the horse year is appropriate for when I zoom out and get hell of mystical with.
Speaker 3: How I think about things, which is pretty much everything.
Speaker 4: And to consider returning to an album that's six years old now never got the opportunity to really tour it and to revisit it in a reflective way has been super cathartic, very cathartic for me as an artist and as a human being. I seem to be in this three year pocket where the previous year I was celebrating the ten year anniversary of my first two albums, and that sort of set me into motion of this reflective space and gave me the idea, well, I should revisit that album because I really.
Speaker 3: Wanted to put the show together.
Speaker 4: And in the mystical sense, when I think about having had that album come out when it did, and then having had things happen in my life in a certain way that they did, it's almost very prophetic when I listen to those songs, and so when I get on stage and I'm performing those songs and I've put together this show that I spent over a year.
Speaker 3: Putting together, building this show.
Speaker 4: Having such an extensive background in musical theater, like just really loving to bring people a show that has a strong start to finish, taking on a journey in that sense, I was so happy to get to build it in that way. And it's been such an incredible experience, fruitful and harmonious in a way that I haven't experienced a tour yet. And I think in anyways, you know, I'm out there still cutting my teeth, you know, as an independent artist in this.
Speaker 3: In this economy. Are you kidding me? You know what I'm saying, It's tough, man.
Speaker 4: The music industry is dog eat dog world out there, and I don't know what that accept the trump. Uh, it's a tough It's a tough industry to survive and as an artist, and so to find my place again or continually, you know, whether it's for myself to prove to myself that I can do it, to put food on the table, roof for my head, you know, and raise the babies. It's it's a constant reminder of the gift that I have and the the respect that I have for the job to keep showing up for it.
Speaker 2: Absolutely well.
Speaker 1: You are a very deep soul, as we know through your music and through now this conversation, and you talk a lot about belonging in your music and in your work. What does belonging mean to you? What does it feel like to belong and what does it feel like not to belong?
Speaker 4: That's a tricky question. I don't really think I have the answer for that to be to be fair for me having what I know as an adult now.
Speaker 3: Is that my abandonment wounds as a child had let me.
Speaker 4: I had let those lead for a long time, and having had to fight my way into being seen for so many years as a young person, creating behaviors and patterns that were conducive to being an adult in that sense right, and allowing those wounds to become teachers has taught me a lot about who I am now, and I had found that I had been seeking validation all the time from others outside of myself to validate my power, to validate me as a person. And I don't see that being inherented. I think that's a very natural time that occurs as a human person. But for me, in my experience, the behaviors that came with it were what was damaging. Took both myself and to others inadvertently or you know, perhaps even sometimes consciously, so you know, the difference of impact versus intention became a space where that conversation of belonging became quite prevalent.
Speaker 3: So you know, I could sit here.
Speaker 4: You know, I think most people might be able to relate to this, That you could sit in front.
Speaker 3: Of a group of people who are here.
Speaker 4: To listen to you say something and you might feel completely alone, which at times I think we all do. It depends on the moment you're in, I suppose, and the kind of support that you have in your private life and as much as that you do have in your public life. Experience, both when I was younger, perhaps even six years ago, pre COVID obviously.
Speaker 3: I was so much younger then.
Speaker 4: You know, I felt quite alone on a stage or you know, walking in the world.
Speaker 3: Didn't know where.
Speaker 4: I belonged, you know, And physical belonging is a funny thing too, because I didn't ever feel as though I would find a place where I wanted to belong inasmuch as it would belong to me.
Speaker 3: Does that make sense? And I have in many ways. I'm from the Great State of Oregon.
Speaker 4: For those of you that don't know where I am from. My mother is Native American Puerto Rican, and my father is Filipino, and most of my family and on both sides of my family, and including my adolthood family that I was raised by or from the West coast of America, and.
Speaker 3: So most of my family's over that side.
Speaker 4: And I remember during COVID watching Bruce Springsteen's documentary he did, and there's a funny thing he said about the song Born to Run, and he said, you know, I wrote that song, and I really aligned with this thought as well. He's like, when I was seventeen years old, He's like, I wrote that song, and he he's like, I just wanted to get as far away as I could from you know, where I was told I belonged in this place that was called home, and he goes, for many, many years, I ran away from everything from that space from where I was and wanted to find belonging elsewhere.
Speaker 3: And he paused, and then he goes, I currently live five minutes from where I grew up.
Speaker 4: And I was thinking the same thing as he was saying it, because I currently live twenty minutes from where I was born and raised. And it's interesting how that calling four belonging often calls you back to where you have come from.
Speaker 3: Whether you stay or not, it does come ask you to come back.
Speaker 4: To heal whatever it needs to be healed so you can transform into where you do need to go from there.
Speaker 1: Interesting, isn't it how we always go back. When was the first time you felt like you truly belonged? Because you've talked about your childhood of feeling those moments of really not being sure where you've beenen in the world, and now as in your fourth decade, congratulations. I think as we get older, too, we tend to care a little bit less of whether we belong or whether we're accepted.
Speaker 2: But when was the first time for.
Speaker 1: You where you felt at peace with who you were, and you're belonging.
Speaker 4: The first time that I can recollect in an earlier iteration of myself was when I was twenty years old and.
Speaker 3: I've had my birth mother. The first thing that she said to.
Speaker 4: Me was, Oh, yeah, she goes baby, we have the same toes. And while that might sound strange to some, it was a It was the first time that I had heard somebody that I was related to.
Speaker 3: A firm a.
Speaker 4: Bodily similarity growing up, you know, in a family that didn't look like me, or you know, was related to me that sense.
Speaker 3: I go to school first through third grade.
Speaker 4: I was home school the rest of the time, which is why I'm so strange. In first or third grade, I remember hearing kids say like, oh, you know, my mom and I have the same eyes, or my dad and I, you know, act this similar way. And I didn't know how to relate to that because I didn't have that, you know, with my with my parents in that sense. And so when my mom was pointing out something that was similar to us, there was a feeling side of me that almost felt like it was being filled, you know, in.
Speaker 3: A sense of oh, this is what it feels like.
Speaker 4: Okay, and so that was deep and meaningful in all of its ways. And you know, it wasn't like in that moment I immediately recognized that connectivity, but it was over time I began to realize that, so this is what this must feel like to belong to a place. And yet even you know, a short time after that, I began getting pulled.
Speaker 3: In many directions.
Speaker 4: I had three families, my birth father, a birth mother, and the family that raised me, his family guiding and sort of saying to me, you know, who I was supposed to be, This is who you are, This is who you are. And then I began to tour and began to visit many different places in the world, and my music began to take a hold, and through that I had people saying.
Speaker 3: This is who you are, this is you're supposed to be, you.
Speaker 4: Know, and all the while I had no idea who I was, and a lot of my beard's getting attached to as microphones. And so, you know, it wasn't until more recently, you know, in the last a few years, that I have.
Speaker 3: Once again returned to that feeling of belonging where I have stepped back.
Speaker 4: On to a stage or you know, as a joke, stepped back into a grocery store, been like, yes, this is where I belonged, absolutely, you know. And I think that just comes with the maturity and experience and continue to show up to difficult things and.
Speaker 3: Remind myself that.
Speaker 4: Where I truly belong is, you know, with God Creator, you know, wherever I.
Speaker 3: Am, and to find that piece within myself to.
Speaker 4: Know that I belong wherever I stand, wherever they in my head, where my spirit.
Speaker 3: Is with whomever is there. And you know, you can hear that question across the songs as you have recog nice as well. And where's my home?
Speaker 4: You know, I talk about home and belonging a lot, and through that talking about it, you know, the consistency of singing it every time that's cathartic and of itself, and I'm.
Speaker 3: Like reminding myself every time I do.
Speaker 4: It, it's okay, a little baddy, It's going to be okay.
Speaker 2: You're right where you.
Speaker 3: Belo because you question it, oh again, all the time you question it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so interesting, I think would you agree that we take parts of I know you said you feel like you've got three different families that you can potentially take the best of each of those parts of those people to become yourself. What did you take from your mom, your biological mom, your biological father, and your family that raised you?
Speaker 2: Oh boy, going top, it's the best.
Speaker 4: From my mom that raised me. God bless her. She is the best. She's still here with us. I learned to integrity, for sure. Integrity. She's not aest woman, and she is a stand up person as well.
Speaker 3: She would be just tickled to know that I'm talking about her right now.
Speaker 2: Well, this is being recorded, so maybe we can send.
Speaker 4: One of the things that she often would say to me, even through the iterations, was that and this is a mutual thing that we learned from each other, is that she'd go, you know, I raised you to a point and then.
Speaker 3: Gave you back to your mom too to continue the work. And I would. And so she often would off.
Speaker 4: Put this feeling of like being mom and sort of just being a placeholder.
Speaker 3: And I know how that feels.
Speaker 4: And so what my experience with her has been in that regard is reminding her too that she is.
Speaker 3: Has has always been more to me than just mom.
Speaker 4: You know, she's been my pillar, she's been my guiding light, She's been a consistent person who loves.
Speaker 3: Me no matter how I've shown up.
Speaker 4: I remember coming home with more and more tattoos. This is one thing that's great about my mom. Even though I was raised very very conservative Christian, I'd show up, you know, with more and I try to like cover it up.
Speaker 3: I book a jacket owner like I have. You're covering up anymore? And you know she, you know she what is that?
Speaker 4: You know? And I'd be like, well, it's just a And you know, she has loved me through all of the versions of myself to this day, and I think that, Yeah, one of the big things that she has.
Speaker 3: Taught me is to love unconditionally, even if in you know, moments where you question it.
Speaker 4: You can love someone for the decisions that they made because you're just witnessing their journey and you're holding space for them to just be who they need to be.
Speaker 3: At that time. And so that from mom for sure. For my dad, the dad that raised me, we had a bit.
Speaker 4: Of a pushing pole relationship throughout our time.
Speaker 3: But and he passed away over fifteen years ago now, but.
Speaker 4: His inspiration and music was a guiding lighte for me as well. He pushed me hard, you know, to find a purpose, to find fine tunic gift.
Speaker 3: I was big into sports as a young kids, most.
Speaker 4: Boys are, and when I found music, she really could see that there was a spark there and he really pushed that hard on me. And you know, I can thank him now for allowing me to explore that that universe. And and also he taught me what a loyal and.
Speaker 3: Steadfast caretaker can be as a man. He was a great example when it comes to being a good man.
Speaker 4: He never cheated on my mom. You know, he was a He treated her well. He never raised his voice. He raised his eyebrows a lot. That's how you knew he was about to go down. He feared those eyebrows. And you know, in that sense, that was such an important masculine example for me as a young person. And then my birth mother, you know, resilience, I suppose, don't be a victim. You know, she had been through a lot in her life and she's only fourteen years older than me, right, So to find that kind of respect took time because when we met, it was almost like we were just like siblings, you know, but we both have a very childlike demeanor, very demeanor, you know, and so to meet each other as adults.
Speaker 3: Took time, and I think that.
Speaker 4: Learning from her has been a constant thing in my life, and as a father now, to keep showing up for my mom in the ways that I also need has been the teacher wherein sometimes family members you know that you need to have them show up for you a certain way they cannot, and two show up for them can be a bit of a chip off the old children.
Speaker 3: You know, you're like, oh God, I gotta shut up rappers and jeez, you know.
Speaker 4: And that's taught me a lot about being by your side in a relationships mother to son way.
Speaker 3: That's transformed by how.
Speaker 4: I am as a father and as I am to the rest of my family.
Speaker 1: It's really beautiful to see that you can take in reflection the best parts of the people that raise us, even in the hard moments. And I love that you brought that up about your father. There are hard moments, I'm sure with all of everyone.
Speaker 2: Who's raised you.
Speaker 1: But when you zoom out, you can pull back and say, these are the good things.
Speaker 2: Thank you for sharing it.
Speaker 1: Now you speak openly about being canceled twenty twenty twenty, we won't go through.
Speaker 2: The whole rigmarole of what that was all about.
Speaker 1: But I want to know what that felt like for you at the time, because I know it was a very very significant time in your life and.
Speaker 2: It taught you, no doubt, a lot about yourself.
Speaker 3: Yeah, is there a question there?
Speaker 2: The question is, so what did that feel like for you?
Speaker 3: Yeah? It felt terrible for sure. It felt like.
Speaker 4: A dismantling of my reality. And I said a bit of it last night too, But the illusion of who I thought I was to die, you know, and it was.
Speaker 3: Necessary death.
Speaker 4: And to reclaim that, I had to pick through a lot of unpacking, you.
Speaker 3: Know, and it was necessary nice.
Speaker 4: Still have people today that come up to me and say, I'm so sorry for what happened to you, And I understand where they're coming from. I think it's a natural thing when you don't really know what else to say.
Speaker 3: But I don't regret it at all. You know. I regret harm, for sure, as anybody might. But I.
Speaker 4: What I what I what I feel is how I felt about anything that's happened in my life.
Speaker 3: It's there are no there are no small there's no thing, no things that happened to you.
Speaker 4: There aren't for a reason, you know and to unpack my own reasons where I had to look and see, like, all right, cool, I could see how I could see how the behaviors of a young man being promiscuous, being a dating life on the road, as a touring musician. I can see how the way that I had showed up with the energy that i'd had, full of ego, full of just like chaos energy. I just was pushing back against everything that I was being told that I was. And I hadn't taken responsibility for the words that were coming out of my mouth. I believed them, but I hadn't lived in that yet, if that make sense. And that is the tricky balance of my own responsibility in life, is to actually believe myself to hear what I'm saying, and to find that find that way to live the life that I seek, you know. And so if it hadn't happened, you know, I wouldn't have If I hadn't fallen off the wagon like that in a public way, I don't know what would have happened, you know, I can't really say at all, because it didn't, you know. So to discover the the person that wanted to evolve from that certainly took time. You know, there was a number of years there where I just wanted to die, you know.
Speaker 3: Because I felt so abandoned. And that was part of it, was the.
Speaker 4: Triggering of the old wound to be abandoned by friends and family. And you know, your fan base was.
Speaker 3: Triggering the old wound.
Speaker 4: That had caused those issues in my relationships to women, to men, to power, to control, and to myself. It got first and foremost to get right with that.
Speaker 3: It took a minute to get past the part where I wanted to be a victim to it.
Speaker 4: I took time to get past the feeling that I had no I didn't.
Speaker 3: Know where to belong again, you know.
Speaker 4: And so I think part of that gift was that I'd been there before and I knew what this felt like.
Speaker 3: It was dangerous place to be.
Speaker 4: And because I did want to end everything, I did want to stop and give up, and I did want to just be a victim and be angry, and I forget the processes of anger, you know, as you go through but you know what I'm talking about, where you get to that part of accountability of your own part and the thing it felt, that sense of betrayal was a deep cut, and I felt even more misunderstood. And to move through the misunderstanding to choose life, to choose.
Speaker 3: A new beginning took courage. But I also learned not to celebrate the courage so much.
Speaker 4: As it was a duty to myself, to my daughter, to my family, and you know, also to those that listen to me. Out of respect for the microphone, I respect for the stage, and I respect for the gift that Creator has given me to share my pain and.
Speaker 3: My joy alchemized into music.
Speaker 4: It all was part of the reason why, you.
Speaker 3: Know, I have a bone to pick with.
Speaker 4: Society, and I always have, but even more so now as I firmly believe that we have the ability.
Speaker 3: To choose.
Speaker 4: How we punish people in society, and at this moment, which seems as though we just dispose of.
Speaker 3: People that we don't agree with.
Speaker 4: And I kind of mentioned that last night about the way that I see us behave as society still today where we can't it seems like we can't.
Speaker 3: Break bed with people, you know, in that way, And.
Speaker 4: That's something I just want to shout out profest for doing is allowing messy people like myself to continue to share my truth in my heart, because it's a it's a it's a rough world out there in that sense, and it feels as though the forefront is happening here of a collective understanding that you know, your mistakes do not define you or control you, and that we can move away from a punitive system that is so reflective of the comercial system of deplatforming somebody and allowing you know, this sort of idea that, Okay, well, since I don't agree with whatever I believe that you did, I'm going to take your career away from you, and I'm going to take your liveliv away from you.
Speaker 3: I'm going to take away your ability to feed your family.
Speaker 4: Your ability to support yourself, and I will choose what your punishment is. This sense that as a collect to mob, there is this idea that you know, you are the judge or an executioner. You know.
Speaker 3: And while I do believe in.
Speaker 5: Community in alignment towards accountability and change, it seems as though the way that it's being done in that sense is far more damaging than it is uplifting.
Speaker 3: And I do think that there.
Speaker 4: Are I know that there are many ways and tools to offer folks to choose life versus you know, just disposing of people and you know, not using your.
Speaker 3: Your hang on critical thinking.
Speaker 2: That's it. Yeah, it's interesting. I am you know.
Speaker 1: I think that we spoke before part of this, and you talked to me about this situation and it can and you said, this time now has been a bit of a resurrection for you. And I know that bringing Back your Power tour was created back then and all of those tours got canceled, and so now this is your opportunity now to bring that back into the world during this time of what you call a resurrection. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And it teaches us so much that when we go through what we think is the most horrible, hard situation that we are experiencing, we can come out of it stronger than ever. And it feels like you are emerging out of that pain now bringing this tour to.
Speaker 2: Us the resurrection.
Speaker 1: Explain that a little bit to me, and what you learned about yourself recently over the last couple of years as you are resurrecting.
Speaker 3: Well, you know.
Speaker 4: I'm just gonna say that I don't get to talk about this very much, but it is it is not like a sweet baby Jesus coming out of the rod, like that kind of thing, you know somewhere, you know, I say a resurrection and I'm like, oh, you know what I'm saying, like, yeah, it'd be nice if it was like that, but it is.
Speaker 3: It's like it is a war zone out there.
Speaker 4: Anytime that I announced shows, they try to cancel it.
Speaker 3: So I often see people in the comments saying like, why don't you come here? Why don't you go there?
Speaker 4: And that's because I'm playing a chess game.
Speaker 3: I have built an entire protocol to get in front.
Speaker 4: Of what surrounds the name of me in that sense, and.
Speaker 3: Because it's my firm belief transparency is the only way forward.
Speaker 4: And in this climate, it is a very touchy subject. And most of the time, what I've found is that people are making business decisions based on protecting their business, which I totally understand, which is why you might not see certain artists.
Speaker 3: Touch me consensually obviously, but also.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so it's it's it's not it's no easy move forward. You know. It has been seriously hard work just to get back to sitting here and talking to y'all, consistently showing up and consistently refining how I discuss who I am and how I.
Speaker 3: You know, fight for my right to.
Speaker 4: Bring what I do, not for ego or for you know, some you know, alternative motive, but simply to do the work.
Speaker 3: That Creator has brought me here to do.
Speaker 4: Like I now, at this stage in my life, I have no question about my purpose at all.
Speaker 3: I know a million percent that what I just did last.
Speaker 4: Night and standing here and sitting here with you all and discussing it is why I am here.
Speaker 3: This is my gift. And so to be that, you know, firm and knowing.
Speaker 4: Who I am is part of what to take your power back moment right now that I'm having is all about is that reclamation.
Speaker 3: Is that resurrection.
Speaker 4: And you know, one thing that I cyquest, one thing that I love about comedy a huge comedy fan, is that it is constant refinement right in front of you.
Speaker 3: You're getting up there every.
Speaker 4: Night and you're trying it out and you're just allowing yourself to be seen and you're refining and refining. It's the same way for artists like myself. Every night you get on stage, you are refining your craft.
Speaker 3: And the big takeaway I've.
Speaker 4: Had on this tour since starting in September has been every night I go out and I'd refine that message, and you know, I'll find bits that are working, bits that aren't ways that I'm singing the song, that are working, ways that are even down to like how you move your body has meaning to it and how you interact as meaning to it, and some nights that might work, in others it might not. That's part of the game. But I think that how I show up has been transformational for me in allowing myself to still maintain a childlike, you know, energy, while also being the mature, experienced adult man that I am at home and having those to those who I am off stage, who I am on stage, being in that same space, you know. So it's been a really it's been a really amazing experience because those.
Speaker 3: Songs have so much more meaning to.
Speaker 4: Me now, and it's almost it's very emotional every time too, because I'm I'm just like even last night, when I wanted to look at y'all in the face, sometimes I can't.
Speaker 3: Because I feel you so much. And so they have these big lights out there, and.
Speaker 4: I was like, ah, look at those lights, and I just drop into like my own moment, you know, and I'm.
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, I feel it all a little buddy, you know, you know, because I'm having my own experience.
Speaker 2: This is a big deal for you, this festival at the moment, isn't it. Prana Fest is Actually I'm listening to you and I.
Speaker 1: Feel that you feel so grateful for being here for Pana, in believing in you, or backing you, for letting you speak and have your vaults in the fall last night.
Speaker 2: What does it feel like?
Speaker 4: Yeah, for sure, it's a reminder that Australia has always been a home for me and it's inspiring to see folks here design something very different than what you're saying anywhere else in the world. There's a lot of fear out there, and I don't feel it here at all. I just went back to Hawaii for the first time in almost ten years, and Hawaii I didn't grow up there, but I spent a good time in my life going up there, and I went back to play a festival and it was scary. I'm gonna say that I had a good time, and I know that those that attended also had a good time. But I just wanted to mention a reflection here of what I just recently experienced versus what I'm experiencing here and it's night and day. I used to feel like I really belonged there, and this trip recently it was I don't want to dismiss the belonging.
Speaker 3: I did feel with the made to do that showed.
Speaker 4: Up and was there, but the way that the energy was online about me coming back to the island was wild, and it was like I had to hold a group therapy session for everybody and be an anchor in a place where I mean, I suppose I was being asked to be an anchor in that sense. I'm sure countless people did not think that I was being an anchor. But that's the tricky part too, right, is what is your responsibility to others and what is your responsibility to yourself? And to find what that was or to find what that is for yourself is is oh that's the game, baby, But.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a big difference.
Speaker 4: And you know, shout out to those that called me in there and brought me into that space again because they held the line. But it's just a reflection I wanted to say, is that you know this is being here feels like night and day from anywhere else that I have gone to in the last six years, and it feels like there is a different energy being held here.
Speaker 3: And I felt that.
Speaker 4: Two years ago or three years ago when I first came. Yeah, that's why I'm back as well, you know, because it is.
Speaker 1: That this podcasts that we are doing the live recording of, Like I mentioned at the start, it's called Things you Can't Unhere.
Speaker 2: Was there a things you couldn't unhear?
Speaker 1: A moment during the hardest time that someone said to you that really helped you through that time?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I shared a little bit of it last night on stage, and I'll share it I get here the some of the some of the things that I had been.
Speaker 4: Hearing from my beloveds that were you know, in my ear at that time. Yeah, I'm sure y'all have heard this before.
Speaker 3: I had not, hadn't heard it yet. But the the quote of life is happening for you, it's not happening too. It was a big one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And it was almost an ironic thing to hear too, because of course.
Speaker 3: I don't know. For me, I seem to have at.
Speaker 4: Times a really toxic sense of positivity where you know, there's there's actually Aquarius mean that I love. I think it's Shrek even is in the meme and he's like, you know I'm talking about and he's like, you know, Aquarius, after telling you the worst thing that you could ever imagine and being like, well, that's just life, isn't it. And then that's a pro and con to it too. You know, I think I've I've learned. I've had to learn how to sit with stuff versus being so flippant about it at times. And that's rough because you really got to sit with your feelings about things and let it.
Speaker 3: Do its work on you. And then you can be like.
Speaker 4: Well crazy, that was crazy.
Speaker 3: And maybe it's just there's a I have a really dark sense of humor.
Speaker 4: So maybe it's because I've been through so much in my life that I'm almost not surprised sometimes at how dark things can get. So, to go back to your question, my Auntie was deep in reminding me of the courage that she already knew that I had within me to move through the hard.
Speaker 3: Lessons to UH and and and and and allow.
Speaker 4: Myself to be messy in it, knowing that there would be no perfect route to UH reclamation to accountability too, you know, justice to finding my way and that you know, when you go through a rebirth, you are starting all over again, and and that can be really tricky and frustrating. And that time that it takes two unpack and.
Speaker 3: Unwind and rewire.
Speaker 4: Could take much longer than your spirit wants it to take.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: So I think I think most of us really want to quick fix.
Speaker 1: It.
Speaker 4: Ain't like that as it now.
Speaker 2: It's not yeah, you got to go through it.
Speaker 4: We all know that, don't we That was it, You got to go through it, don't know me out is through?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's so.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, my husband and I were driving here this morning and I said, let's get in the mood.
Speaker 2: Let's put on some Narco tunes.
Speaker 1: So we were listening to them all on the driver and absolutely loving it. And literally about twenty minutes before you arrived here.
Speaker 2: Now, your manager and I were.
Speaker 1: Texting and I said, what do you feel about Naco bringing his guitar to the interview?
Speaker 3: She was like, should we have a guitar talk?
Speaker 1: So I think we're going to let the guitar talk if you're up for it, to end this amazing conversation.
Speaker 2: Do you feel about that?
Speaker 3: Good? Good?
Speaker 1: Good?
Speaker 2: Do you feel good about it. Guys, I think they'll do it.
Speaker 1: I just want to say before Narco jumps on his guitar and you can you can jump up and get yourself sorted while I'm chatting. But huge thanks for sharing so openly sharing yourself with us. I know it's not easy doing that, and those people who do come on my podcast do share openly so that we can all learn and grow.
Speaker 2: From what you've experienced.
Speaker 1: So there's something that you heard that you could take from this to implement in your own life in some way to make you stronger, to make you heal, to make you transform, to make you a better version of yourself than please take it. And thanks again to Nago. I mean, I think people wants you up close it person.
Speaker 7: Pome Man a change.
Speaker 3: This is my one cup of coffee voice.
Speaker 8: By the way, if I made it out alive, you gonna change. I need a change every protect a transformation. Chance on my shoes and dilic chance read the final.
Speaker 7: Rounds of indifference.
Speaker 3: I with the buzz grass pad.
Speaker 8: I was looking at the authority for the reasons I had if I stopped to listen to one of those teeth the wheel I'm in the back look with the Bucky's reel, the Baby the hatchet Bones, don't cast at the dead, don't dance to with liars Man's and show residence cross head off my checkpist but with the warfare of baby with dolls her he's redless acts like he's got a dead bridge to radio girl Chick in the checks to the nature Lawyer creature some of the most.
Speaker 3: Time, wasn't the wage in my plan, I'm gonna stick to it.
Speaker 8: I'm gonna want to separate my consciousness.
Speaker 7: I want to change.
Speaker 8: I who may could change?
Speaker 3: And I come to the cost or that is my listed.
Speaker 7: This tract is in my delusion.
Speaker 8: The granted were all equipped dark Old bad Or is the wizard ship. But I did not know people gonna choose me and I gonna take myself. Most you been used it because I've come to people. They don't trick. I don't know the other the prepretives, so that just a productor took a couple of steps back.
Speaker 3: I didn't have to couple beneath the crash.
Speaker 8: I didn't come here on the throne down and dragging my feet, sending for saying both hands that accept the feet.
Speaker 3: I got work to do. Let me get back at it, cause I'm is ticking. I can hear you this now, I'm not picking dramatic and the meat. Don't sleep in fact so.
Speaker 8: Much humans after BEDI because I'm such a icial person, mattered at the BA.
Speaker 3: He's surprised that gets out even put himself twice. They can maybe a younger berty.
Speaker 8: Even the way I mean as human, But to make some mistakes and don't quit the place a lifetime of fear.
Speaker 3: He just to show pass and begin niggas dear. I want to change.
Speaker 7: I will make change.
Speaker 8: If I made you out alive, see you in the airless shirt, sacrified child.
Speaker 7: Please that I die.
Speaker 8: And the lost shall past some booty in the past.
Speaker 7: And of all the.
Speaker 3: Things I fear, it isn't now and it isn't here. How many could change.
Speaker 7: I made change.
Speaker 8: I want to walk in righteousness, but I keep up a number that is of my selfishness. I want the past, the fist. They were past the fist. I keep hearing on the bushes and they're facing it. Someone facing it, sim ladiator ship. Yeah, putting the brook. You didn't begin heating it.
Speaker 3: Non stop knocks from the mountain.
Speaker 9: Top through the CD blocks to take stopping blah, nothing but the guys shot dead on the side, why by your cops? Two it inside child, and I'm shots in my hands stretched out to the sky, Dots of homes in my left, and a gun in my right, my eyes, a.
Speaker 8: Cry or a bulletproof pocas in the bud they didn't go to make it out alive, and a five in the midst of a bad door front line you get to beginner struggle.
Speaker 3: These are the songs of a walk towards revival.
Speaker 7: Even Braving could put down their right folds.
Speaker 8: I got my orders, and them apart of them, you can find me kicking back instaid the die instand and I'm making friends and the men of evil men, but not break them and inject them with them. Mad to sin, I'm gonna do no harm, but I'm gonna take no ship, and I'm gonna do a bitch and to take emptyness. And potentially I'm a limp to be hard at working there in the fucking industry.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I made to change.
Speaker 8: I'm made to change.
Speaker 7: I will may change.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to the show. What did you think and what did you feel? Let us know By leaving me a message on the things you can't on here Instagram community page and if you can give us some ratings, love on your favorite listening platform