Speaker 1: From The Australian. Here's what's on the front. I'm Claire Harvey. It's Thursday, February twenty seven. Back to back interest rate cards look a bit less likely. New numbers from the Australian Bureau of Statistics show the Reserve banks preferred underlying inflation gauge climbed two point eight percent over the twelve months to January, slightly up from the previous month. The United States is doubling down on tariffs and denting Australian hopes of an exemption from Donald Trump's twenty five percent hit on steel and aluminium. Treasury Secretary Scott Besson said tariffs are a crucial tool to reindustrialize America and generate government revenue. Those stories alive now at the Australian dot Com dot u artist Colored Subsabi signed a petition demand in Israel be excluded from the twenty twenty four Venice BNALI. That's the revelation today in The Australian's margin call column, the same column that kicked off a stink that's seen Subsabi dumped as Australia's representative for the next BNALI in twenty twenty six, Creative Australia. The former Arts Council has admitted it had no idea about Subsabi's works depicting Hesbala leader Hassan Nasralla and the nine to eleven terror attacks before choosing him for the gig. Today, the agency's bosses get dragged over hot coals at Senate Estimates.
Speaker 2: I want to retraction from you.
Speaker 3: I have not broken the law.
Speaker 2: I listened to a very offensive tirade in silence. I'd ask for the same respect.
Speaker 1: If you're a politician interested in a spot of grandstanding, there's no better place than a Senate Estimates committee.
Speaker 4: If you didn't offer your resignation the same.
Speaker 5: Minister, will you now apologize not just to me but to my staff and.
Speaker 4: Instead of being change, really to go down just you and answer the questions.
Speaker 1: At parliamentary committees. The police real anxious public servants and sometimes public figures.
Speaker 6: You're either going to have to believe me or call me a liar.
Speaker 1: That's the Late nine Network owner Kerry pack Up at a nineteen ninety one committee appearance where he did a little grandstanding of his own.
Speaker 6: Now, of course I am minimizing my tax and if anybody in this country doesn't minimize their tax. They want their head room. Because I look at a government, I can tell you you're not spending it that well that we should be donating.
Speaker 1: Extra parliamentary privilege applies, which means you can't be sued for anything defametory you might like to say. And there are extra points for sounding as outraged as possible.
Speaker 5: Of a Murdoch newspaper hack job and a conservative asking some questions in Senate question time. I'll tell you what.
Speaker 1: Here's Green's Senator Sarah Hanson Young with her dander up at a Senate Estimate's hearing on Tuesday night.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you what.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 5: You have fundamentally undermined artistic policy in this country for a very long time, and people are very upset about it, very upset.
Speaker 1: The senator was busy ripping into Adrian Collette, the chief executive of an outfit called Creative Australia previously known as the Australia Council, and his board chair Robert Morgan.
Speaker 5: You went into panic mode and you pushed the button.
Speaker 4: That's not good enough.
Speaker 5: It's not good enough.
Speaker 1: That Murdoch newspaper hack job. She was talking about by the way was an item in our business column margin Call that's set off a massive kafuffle in the arts world. Everyone seems to be upset quick recap. Earlier in February, Creative Australia announced Australia's team at the Venice Bionari twenty twenty six would be artist Colored Subsabi and curator Michael de Gastino. Business columnist Janni Bishan wrote an item about it in Margin Call on February eleven, headlined.
Speaker 4: Arts Council takes creative approach to racism.
Speaker 1: Yanni's item described Subsabi's history of creating works featuring.
Speaker 4: Questionable and ambiguous usage of Hassan Masrala, the dead Hesbala leader. We don't know exactly what Subsabi feels about Nostrala or his death, or what he meant by taking a bunch of beams and shining them out of Nostralla's face or painting him in watercolor, as he did for a separate exhibition, but we do know how Subsabi feels about Israel. He was one of several artists who boycotted the twenty twenty two Sydney Festival after its organizers committed the grievous sin of accepting twenty thousand dollars in funding from the Israeli embassy to pay for a production put on by an invited Israeli choreographer.
Speaker 1: Then a Liberal Senator Claire Chandler asked questions about it in Parliament.
Speaker 7: Mister Sabsabi has previously produced artwork promoting Osama bin Laden and a series of nine to eleven images of the aircraft hitting the twin Towers titled thank You very Much? Will the Abenezi government immediately reverse the decision for mister Sabsabi to represent Australia at the Venice Bienalis and.
Speaker 1: Then Creative Australia announced it would be dropping Subsabi and Dagostino. The pair released this statement, we.
Speaker 3: Are extremely hurt and disappointed. We intended to present a transformational work in Venice, an experience that would unite all audiences in an open and safe shared space.
Speaker 1: At Senate Estimates on Tuesday night, Adrian Collett said it wasn't the piece in the Australian, but in fact Senator Chandler's questions that made him call an urgent board meeting and proposed humping Subsabi and Degastino.
Speaker 2: We strive to uphold the power of art to unite and build understanding, but we cannot be blind to the very real risk that the choices we make can also have the potential to trigger to visitive narratives.
Speaker 1: Colletes seemed to be saying it wasn't that he had a view about Subsabi's art, but that he believed the controversy could blow up the whole organization.
Speaker 2: As public debate intensified and scrutiny was applied to some of the artists prior works, that became very quickly evident to the board that the organization was confronting significant risks to its Huger mission.
Speaker 1: There were two intriguing revelations in Collet's evidence under questioning from Hanson, Young and Chandler. First, Collette said he didn't know about the Hassan as rather work you until after he decided to appoint Subsabi as Australia's representative for Venice.
Speaker 2: I was made aware of you. Yeah, I've worked about the hospital leader about a day or two.
Speaker 1: Before the launch, So that's after the decision was made to appoint Subsabi, but before it had been publicly announced. In early February second. Collet didn't know about the other work with planes flying into buildings on September eleventh, two thousand and one, and George W. Bush saying thank you very much, until Claire Chandler raised it in the Senate. Collet said he immediately rang board chair Robert Morgan, then called Minister Tony Burke.
Speaker 2: Well, I've described the image, I said, I think we have an issue here that the board needs to discuss, and so we got busy bringing the board together.
Speaker 1: He wanted to add it wasn't unusual to have no idea about an artist's prior works before a commission like this.
Speaker 2: Characteristically, we do not do searches of artists that catalog. We don't do that. We judged work in front of us, and it's potential to fulfill the brief that we are looking for. So I'm very confident saying there wasn't a far research of thirty years of artistic enterprise, thousands of images before we made the decision to appoint Karalied and Michael.
Speaker 1: Here's Joanni Bishan.
Speaker 4: Look. I think generally Adrian Collette presents as a person of very serious character. It's very clear that he takes his job extremely seriously and that he cares about the future of Australian art very much. I felt overall that he was doing his very best to try and defend what has been an indefensible series of steps that were taken by Creative Australia. I think what we didn't hear from Adrian Collette was a simple admission that this entire process could have been avoided by not selecting Colored Subsabi and Michael Degostino in the first place. But I think that's what they were thinking.
Speaker 3: On Google.
Speaker 1: I went back in time a little to see what the results would have been if I'd searched Colored Subsabi's name before February twenty twenty five, when this drama all started. The first result is a page from the Museum of Contemporary Art in Sydney which includes a biography of Subsabi. Click on that and you find this. We've used a voice actor to read it aloud.
Speaker 8: This is the case in his video work You two thousand and seven, for example, which formerly plays with a recording of a speech by Hesbala leader Hassan Nasralla following the withdrawal of Israeli forces from Lebanon after the two thousand and six Lebanon War.
Speaker 1: The second result I would have got on that Google search is Colored Subsabi's own website. Click on works and I find a page full of his artworks, including that two thousand and seven Hassan israela piece.
Speaker 5: You what Kranath wha karamana.
Speaker 1: And thank you very much. From two thousand and six. That's the one with planes flying into the twin towers and George W.
Speaker 4: Bush, thank you, thank you very much.
Speaker 1: Not hidden, not hard to find. If you were thinking about giving Colored Subsabia commission to say represent Australia at the Venice BNALI, these works were there to be found.
Speaker 4: Adrian Collette has learned the hard way that not googling someone can come back to bite you pretty hard, and that was the reason why he was grilled so hard at Senate Estimates on Tuesday night, and it's the reason why he's had to retract Karlte Subsabi and Michael Destino as the artist representatives to Venice. And at this stage we don't have replacements for those people. And it's really unclear what the Australian pavilion at the Venice b and l is even.
Speaker 1: Going to look like coming up Jewish and his Ali artists have found themselves being canceled ever since the Middle East conflict flared up in October twenty twenty three. So what's different about this colored Subzabi certainly hasn't been hiding his artworks. There's been no attempt to kind of scrub his website of things that might cause controversy. And he hasn't been shy about his opinions on other platforms either, has he?
Speaker 4: No, he hasn't. I mean, this is a guy who has joined petitions to, for example, boycott the Sydney Festival in twenty twenty two. And the reason why he and other artists wanted to boycott that festival was because the organizers dared to accept twenty thousand dollars in funding from the Israeli embassy. And the reason why they accepted that funding was because they wanted to host a production by the Israeli choreographer or Ab Navin, a renowned choreographer who was due to come to Sydney and give that performance, and so that was why they accepted the funding. But it wasn't good enough for a very large number of artists across Australia who decided that well, they were going to boycott the Sydney Festival on that basis. But now we also learn again through a very simple Google search, that Karlett Subsabi's name is also on another petition which he signed last year, and that was to see Israel band entirely from hosting a pavilion at the Venice Bnali. So this is someone who's unafraid about putting his name to petitions calling for the cancelation or deep platforming or boycotting of other artists, and yet here now he finds himself in a slightly similar position.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the outrage on behalf of Khaled Subsabi has been an expression in part of empathy for the humiliation that he's been through and no doubt this has been a horrible experience. But there's an idea out there that he's being canceled when nobody else has been canceled. What do you think about that?
Speaker 4: What it seems to me that in the art world, and a definitely not part of this world myself, but it would seem to me that in the art world, cancelation and deplatforming and silencing is something that occurs with regularity. We've heard from commentators in our own newspaper and elsewhere, guys like Josh Davelstein who've written about how if you don't subscribe to certain views, you might find yourself not being invited to certain parties or not being included in certain galleries. There are consequences basically for not towing the line. And in my own reporting on Creative Australia, I've attempted to tease out the kind of ideological alignments that you see at a place like Creative Australia, and I'm talking about artists who Creative Australia recruits to sit on panels that adjudicate other arts, adjudicate on taxpayer funding that may or may not go to other artists who are applying. And what we're seeing is that a high number of these panelists share the same ideological view and that can be sliced and diceed into anti colonial viewpoints, anti Australian viewpoints. They might also be anti Zionist or anti israel I think, all of which means that if you're coming to the art world with a conservative approach and you don't hold the viewpoints of your peers, especially some of those in positions of power, you might find yourself missing out on certain benefits and privileges.
Speaker 1: Or if you just happen to be Jewish. You know, there's a WhatsApp group of Jewish creatives who found themselves doxed. There's artists such as Deborah Conway who say they have been deplatformed and denied opportunities. Just this week we've seen in the Australian the revelation that the chair of the Cydney Writers Festival has quit in frustration because she didn't feel that Jewish or Israeli voices were getting it fair perspective at her own festival. So why is it different for someone like Colored Subsabi when he feels that he's been canceled.
Speaker 4: I think probably because it doesn't happened to improve often. And I think for Jewish artists of the kind that you mentioned, this is part and parcel. This is the infected ideology that pervades artistic circles at play. It's the reason why artists like Debrah Conway will have either her shows canceled, or people turning up to protests, or people not turning up at all. This is how people express themselves. In the artistic world, cancelation is a byproduct discrimination. These are all byproducts of not towing the line and maintaining a viewpoint that's fashionable or popular amongst people who are influential in that sphere.
Speaker 1: Johnny Bishan is the editor of The Australian's column Margin coll To read all Yonnie scoops, make sure you go to the Australian dot com dot a u slash business