Speaker 1: Live from McGregor. This is called Murray Live out town.
Speaker 2: Can i Estadi.
Speaker 1: Welcome the Queensland. Welcome Ogregor.
Speaker 2: Hello everyone, we are here at the Glen Hotel. Thank you so much to everyone for being here. I love Queensland. Thank you very much. This is magnificent. We spent plenty of time up the road in central Brisbane, but we're all about celebrating not just this area but the great state. We had plenty of fun. We apologized to no one for having fun and this is a magnificent venue. If you ever get the chance to be in this part of the world, you will enjoy every second of being here the Glen Hotel. It feels like it grows by the kilometer every minute. It's bigger and badder and more amazing than ever before. Looking forward to it. Got some special guests on the program, including the bloke that may will be the next Premier of New South Wire and New South Wales of Queensland. How did I do that? I've just peeked at the boss and he doing this. Oh no, will I fail my Queensland Citizen Chip test? Later perhaps, But David Christophili is here tonight along with a wonderful Amanda Scotia. We will talk to the participants in the Harvey Norman Women's State of Origin, which of course Queensland wrapped up. I thought you might be excited. I thought you might be happy. We'll talk about politics and a whole lot more in a moment of course. Being in Queensland, we can't but send our strength and love to everyone and all the families and all the communities involved in a horrible bus crash which has taken place in the past twenty four hours. It took place between Bowen and Townsville. Sadly, three people have lost their lives. At this stage four people are in a critical condition the Bruce Highway. We don't know whether it's anything to do with conditions of road, but certainly there was issues involving caravans, a whole collection of problems if you know that part of the world for the driving. But strength and love to everyone, all the families and everyone involved. And here's the latest from police in Queensland.
Speaker 3: The traffic crush has involved two vehicles, A four wall drive telling a caravan was adding in a outcound direction on the Bruce Highway and our bus was traveling in a northbound direction. There's been a collision between those two vehicles, very significant impact and very significant consequences. I can confirm that there were thirty three people on board the bus at the time. Unfortunately, three of those people are currently deceased. We've had a number of people that have been treated at the scene for injuries. Some of those people have been taken to Air Hospital and Townsville Hospital, and I can confirm that one person has been airlifted due to the significance of the injuries.
Speaker 2: Well, we're infro on the Coury of Mars website or if it's of course, it's got News dot com dot AU. Do you have any Donald Trump fans in the room here this evening? Any Joe Biden fans in the room?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I thought so. How did that debate go? Roll the tape? No incumbent has average done as poorly as Joe Biden did. I've been talking to a lot of leaders in the Democratic Party Elected's coalition leaders. There's a full on panic about this performance.
Speaker 5: From a Democratic point of view, this was an unmitigated disaster.
Speaker 1: So it went really well for Joe.
Speaker 2: Did you mean all those videos of the dude who can't walk or speak, or walk or speak, couldn't walk or speak, but this time on a national level. Now there was a special little detail for those that were watching along with the debate. And if you didn't get the chance, I hope you go and check out the video of myself and the beautiful Persian Princess Rita panehe watching in real time the political death of Joe Biden. Here's us being very sensitive. I've seen your swing. I know you sing. Let's not act like chill.
Speaker 6: I'm one murderer, course, but that's happening right now, my tea.
Speaker 2: He chose to be on the right hand.
Speaker 1: Side of the TV.
Speaker 2: Didn't that help today?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 6: He could be wield it this way as opposed to look at you wild it that way.
Speaker 1: Let's just let's just stop this finish. Here's your full an.
Speaker 6: Elephant and yeah, yeah, you two were bloody.
Speaker 2: Horror Bye bye Joe. That just in case I haven't made the point clear enough for the people at media watch, you'll be watching us tonight for our reaction to what happened. Here's Joe Biden melting down in front of the entire world, unedited.
Speaker 8: The idea that states are able to do. This is a little lake saying we're going to turn civil rights back to the stage.
Speaker 2: Let each state have a different rule.
Speaker 8: Look, there's so many young women who have been including a young woman who just was murdered and he went to the funeral, the idea that she was murdered by an immigrant coming in and they talk about that.
Speaker 2: Uh, is it over? I think it might be over for a little old Joe. Bye bye Brandon, Bye bye Brandon. Well, as you know, the media freakout that happened as a result of this has brought forward what we all knew, which was that the guy is not up to it in terms of running for the presidency. But probably more frightening for the world is that he's not up to it to run the free world between now and January. Right, that's the concerns, that's our worry, Right, Yeah, this is the whole. It's not just the debate, it's the being president. Bid Well, I've got some kind of breaking news for you tonight, which is Camp David. Now, this is the place where presidents go to have a retreat or in Joe's case, prepare for that debate for a week. That's also the place where Middle East peace talks happen. It's kind of like the most privately private, private spot for a president to go. He has gone back to Camp David Sunday morning, American time. He will be meeting with his family today. The conversation will happen today about whether or not he continues. Now we know that Jill, who's sort of the full puppet and doing the whole thing, doesn't want to give up. We know Hunter will probably be high. But eventually they will start to have the real conversation. And all the pressure is coming from the Obama people, from the Clinton people, from what is kind of left in Biden world. Now, who knows. By the end of this, they could say We're going to punch on, But the likelihood of them punching on seems pretty low right now. In fact, NBC is reporting that, yeah, they are there right now that they are having that discussion. Obviously, if you just follow the pattern of news generally speaking, you don't go behind the closed doors to say everything is awesome. You try to do that. They did that the other day. It didn't work. So one thing that is also extraordinary to watch is that all of the media that has been flat out lying to you that Biden is fine. He's the sharpest attack, he's the smartest he's ever been. He's playing four D chess while skateboarding, you know, like come on. They of course are now saying see you later. This, of course, is the headline of the New York Times, the preferred paper of the super lefty, and they have said it's time to go all the TV, all the rest of it. But something you need to understand here about how massive this is, apart from just the obvious sense of a president saying he doesn't want to go around again. The last time that happened was LBJ in nineteen sixty eight, and LBJ of course decided not to run again because of the circumstances in and around the Vietnam War. Now we've seen Carter Trump, we've seen presidents being defeated, but we haven't seen presidents, for want of a better term, giving up. The idea that that would happen is incredibly impactful, not just for history, but it also gives us an idea about Joe Biden's decision making process. Because Joe Biden, since the very start of his presidency, has been having meetings, I mean literally white House meetings every two weeks with White House historians, with presidential historians. He is acutely aware of his place in history. Now, his place for the Democratic Party is he's the guy who slayed the dragon that is Trump. But to know that he will be a trivia question in years going forward in pub trivia, named the most recent president to give up will be one of those things they're going to talk about in the room today. So if you don't see an immediate piece of news coming out today, that will be the chief and principal reason why. So let's imagine that he decides, I'm going to step out of the way. How do we feel about President Kamala Harris? Yeah, funny you mentioned that because an opinion poll of the vice president. Now, remember president goes, vice president steps up. When it was Nixon, I am not a crook jumping into the helicopter. Of course, it was Ford, his vice president, who became the president. When, of course Kennedy was assassinated, it was LBJ who becomes the president. This is the obvious. The entire point of the vice president is to be the in case they die person, But that person elicits that reaction in this room and it is no different with the American voter. In fact, you know I love to show you and bore you with the data, So let's bore you with some data. People, Kamala Harris. According to the latest polls taken this year, if you have a look at the screen here in Brisbane, or obviously already watching the screen because you're watching Telly at home, but still you'll see there, if it's not Joe Biden, who should have be Kamala Harris, less than a quarter of all voters. Okay, not just Democratic voters, all voters. Now we keep being told that, of course seventy percent of people don't want either of these chances. Well, if the one next in line is it a quarter of the vote, you can start to see how it completely melts away. So you're not the only one who doesn't know who Gavin Newsom is. How people watching Sky News, people here in the room will know who Gavin probably is. But of course he's the governor of California. This bloke is the used car salesman of all used car salesman. Like, look at the hair, look at the shirt, look at the I've done nothing wrong, Hello ladies, and hello fellas because it's twenty twenty four, right, Like he's a rock and roll kind of guy. The only problem is he, of course represents a state where it feels like there's more homeless people than people with homes in California. Good like taking that around the world. Then there's a lady called Gretchen Whitner. Gretchen Whitner is a governor. She's the governor of one of the states that is a swing state, Michigan governor. The problem is she's the one who during COVID literally told people what aisles of the shopping center you could go down. She banned the purchase of seeds for some reason that was going to stop the wooflu but who knew that was how we were going to get on top of it. So she, of course is somebody who swing state, progressive woman, all the rest of it. But I now want to show you another bit of Poland which came out this year about Joe Biden, Gretchen Whitmer, Gavin Newsom and Harris Can we drop the strap because I want to explain to everyone there that Joe Biden on the left hand side is losing to Donald Trump. Kamala Harris loses to Donald Trump, Gavin Newsom gets smashed by Donald Trump, and Gretchen Whitmer also would get smashed by Donald Trump. But before we feel too smug, before we all feel like a bunch of hillaries in twenty sixteen, that this thing is already in the bay and is done. One more piece of data, which is this when you have a look at the popularity of both Trump and Biden going into the debate and coming out of the debate, they were hated by basically the same amount of people one hour after one collapsed and one trumped for an hour. So you have a scenario here where the Democrats think, if it's a new face, all of that polling that says anyone but Trump or Biden would automatically reset the race and they would be able to potentially put the ball over the line and it would become a potentially easy victory. So you have people like Nicky Haley. Now remember about twenty percent of Republicans have turned around and they actually voted for Nicky Haley even when she wasn't running anymore against Donald Trump. Would those people go across to the new face and Trump would end up in a scenario where he's got forty five and the other person's got forty six, forty seven. Not as smug as we were about five minutes ago. We were starting to see what potentially could be happening now also still to come in this presidential election. Donald Trump is being sentenced on the eleventh of July. He could be sent to jail, not kind of jail, not maybe jail, actual jail, and have to go on that day now to be good for message discipline. If he went quiet for about thirty days, perhaps you can't make any mistakes when nobody's talking to you. But if he goes into house arrest, does that feel weird? Does that change the race? So the whole point of saying everything that I've just said is that we all feel exactly the same about the debate that we watched on Friday. We saw the presidential run of Joe Biden turned to dust. Joe Biden may arrogantly find a way to just keep on going and he'll probably lose. But let's be careful what we wish for. If that actually happens, that the replacement, if it's not Kamala Harris, could reset the race, and then Donald Trump becomes the problem, not Joe Biden. Now you may have noticed that the greatest Prime Minister of all time is Anthony Abernezi. You'd agree, Oh, come on, he's amazing. Have you seen his Twitter feed? It's full of celebrities and selfies. He's very good. Well, as you know, on this program, we spent the entire production budget on this graphic, which was each way albow right, because how often does he say one thing? Does he do another? Does he argue on Monday change his opinion a couple of days? So ladies and gentlemen here get ready for each way albow fatima addition, because you may well be aware that there was the senator from Western Australia, typical millennial who joins an organization only to want to change it from within. But fair enough, that's a generational thing. We'll talk about it another time. Now, as we know, oh, the shock, the horror, because she voted against her own party, against her own government, the first person to do so against the Labor from the Labor Party since nineteen eighty eight. Now, as you know, when this actually happened, the first thing the Prime Minister did was pick up the phone and ring the media and say, you know, technically we don't actually have to give her any sort of a punishment whatsoever, kind of like the way I deal with my youngest daughter. But you get the point right. Well, of course, as you know, that didn't quite work, because he ended up turning around and delivering a very heavy sentence of you don't have to come to a meeting for one week. I mean, this was big, This was I mean, this is I mean when you are talking of Tony Abbott wanted to shirt front putin. She's this bloke is willing to throw a lettuce leaf at a senator like this is tough, right, this guy's right up there. Well, as you'll have heard today, the senator in question went on to Channel two. So this is a home game. Yet even when you're playing a home game, it doesn't work. Just ask Joe Biden. Because of course she says, I'll cross the floor again.
Speaker 4: It's the same motion on recognizing the state of Palestine was to be bought for tomorrow.
Speaker 9: I would cross the floor.
Speaker 2: You would cross the floor again. So Prime Minister calls are over for a quick little chat at the lodge. Here's Toto. Did I mention that my mum was single mother and I was from housing commit twenty minutes later then of course there was the decision you are indefinitely booted out, which means, of course the Greens will continue to have their fun and they will do so again tomorrow and just before we get to celebrating Queensland, tomorrow's a big day for all Australians. Do everyone here in McGregor, in Brisbane and at home? Are you ready for cost of living to end tomorrow? I mean there is, I mean there's a lot coming your way. Guys, Like, if you're lucky enough, you might be able to get somewhere between forty five thousand dollars a year, gets fifteen dollars a week. That'll solve the problem. Don't forget everyone who's watching us in both a mansion and a granny flat. You're getting twenty five dollars a month with your power bill plus one thousand dollars from Stephen Miles right ps Queen's will thee thousand dollars power bill give away from the Queensland Government change your vote later this year you're going to kind of take the money and run. I thought that might be the case, all right now, beautiful Brisbane. We had the chance to be able to celebrate at muck around a little bit earlier this weekend. It is a magnificent place and the idea that it's winter here please. In a couple of weeks the world will care about Paris. Four years later it will be Los Angeles, and then in twenty thirty two it is beautiful Brisbane. You know how much I love Queensland and I love this city. The city has changed so much over the years, and in my view, always for the better, but it still has awesome things from the eighties, unbelievable stuff from the nineties, little alley ways that feel like they're out of places like Melbourne. But this is this that is open to anyone every day. And the best way to get around Brisbane, believe me, isn't a car or a ferry.
Speaker 1: It's one of these scooters.
Speaker 2: You know, I love everything about this country, but I really love Queensland. And after a hard day of scootering, it's time for some lunch by the river at the amazing Brisbane Powerhouse with the sensational people of mary May's Bar and Kitchen.
Speaker 1: My friends.
Speaker 2: Had of course, if you truly want the experience of the East Scooter in Brisbane, you have to throw it into the Brisbane River at the end of the experience. Not a lot of people love them if you live here, but they're great if you come here. All right, The wonderful Amanda Smoker is here, you know, of course from a time here at Sky News the Federal Parliament before that, Taylor Huller's with her as well. Both that candidates for the on P at the upcoming election. Give them around, applause, ladies, love and see you nice.
Speaker 1: So we'll get to.
Speaker 2: A whole bunch of issues in a second. But a management wasn't since seen you on the tilly. How are you feeling? How are you going good?
Speaker 9: It's good to be with you.
Speaker 2: Are you Are you enjoying being back on the hustings.
Speaker 9: I'm loving it. It's really good.
Speaker 2: Howzard door knocking going? Do people sort of oh, yeah, are you? And then into the issues.
Speaker 9: It's always a love encouragement when people know a little bit about you before you arrive. But most of them are in a bit of heartache and they're in a bit of pain. You know, they've got a government that's not really serving them well, and so.
Speaker 2: They've got a lot of sha So Taylor, you're doing so in this part of the world.
Speaker 10: Yes, this is my past.
Speaker 2: When you go, when you talk to people here around McGregor, around this area, what are the types of things that they talk to you about being the problems here in this.
Speaker 10: Bit of quick Look, So in my area, my local community around here, crime has got to be up there as one of the top issues. Almost every second door that I knock on has been broken into, So crime is a huge one in this area. And also cost of living with a lot of aspirational small business owners in Sunny Bank just down the road from here, really impacted by the cost of living. So yeah, crime and cost of living, and also health. We've got a hospital here with ramping.
Speaker 2: Well, I go nuts about ramping, right, I talk about it all the time. It's a problem in every state, but it's particularly chronic and particularly bad in the states where you know, let's be honest, the unions are part of the labor party. The labor parties part of unions. You would think if they could get in the room and work something out, they would be able to do so. But no one is finding those solutions. No one's knocking their heads to that no one's putting the proper amount of money in the idea that the highest ramping in the history of the state is happening right now, after multiple premiers, multiple terms, all the rest of it. While most of the time the ambulance is going to turn up, there's plenty of examples when they don't. There's plenty of examples of people sitting in the back of a hospital in the back of an ambulance for too long. It feels like Queensland has now hit this threshold of all right enough, But then they're also very interested in how you fix the problems as well.
Speaker 9: Yeah, look, you're quite right. In my part of the world, Redland Hospital has had the worst statistic on record for hospital ramping and it breaks my heart because it's a great hospital, but it's a little country hospital servicing what is a big outer suburban area. It's grown so much in recent years and you've got great nurses and wards and doctors who are suffering under the strait. But the LMP does have a really good plan to turn this stuff around. It means giving good data to those hospitals and ambos to be able to know where to use their resources in real time, putting doctors and nurses back in charge and making sure they've got the resources and support they need to service. What are big communities?
Speaker 2: And Taylor, do you have a feeling that queens and is ready for the turn? Ready, ready for the change? I mean, I get it. Your team Blue are going to tell me that's the case. But your sense of things? Do you Does it feel different than last election? Does it feel that The reason I say this, I have a slight amount of PTSD. I remember saying about the great need for a change four years ago and it didn't happen.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 10: Look, I think in my local community around here, I think people know that they've been taken for granted for too long. And yeah, I really do feel it out there. I think people do know that it's time for a change.
Speaker 2: So tell us about yourself, what did you do before this moment?
Speaker 10: So I have a background in economics, so that's yeah, that's my background, and that's my passion. And I think one of the reasons why I had decide to put my hand up was because my own grandfather, who's in his nineties, was ramped at Q two Hospital into e just down the road. For five hours and that just broke my heart, like my ninety something. You know, your old grandfather ramped at the local hospital.
Speaker 2: Well, quick question, hands up, who has faith in the ambulance system right now in Queensland? In the people, in the people of course, of course the people working, But do do we trust them on it? Right? Yeah? Well there you go, little some little random sample at any time, Amanda, last one here again, the way that queens and politics has worked for a long period of time is that the governments had really good relationships with the media. They've been able to change your subject at the last minute. You've seen things like the thousand dollars, You've seen all of the like. Do you think that they still have that capacity to change the subject at the last minute? And the election campaign is about something that's really important on the day but is not actually anything to do with the four years between elections.
Speaker 9: Look, they're great at campaigning, there's no doubt about that. But I Daorno the day after the thousand dollars energy subsidy came out and people were quite hot angry because they said, you didn't maintain our energy assets and the Calloid power plant, so it blew up so our energy bills blew out and we've all been suffering for years with the consequences. And now you think you can give us one thousand dollars of our own taxpayer money, and we're going to come back and say, oh gee, thanks for that. What we want is for you to solve the problems, to maintain our assets and to do the forward planning that means people can see the cost of living going down in real ways for the long term.
Speaker 2: Buddie, thank you very much, guys, I appreciate it. Good luck, good luck pickers. All right, quick clackword little more rebruting a celebration, a state of origin. We're Queensland, just one of the decider in the women's game. More in a second. Thanks to the good people of Harving Normans anouncing welcome back to Madrega. Here in bridgement and beautiful Queensland happened quaen Flan. If I love this place of it may not be coming home. Just turn my phone off for a couple of weeks. I'll be right. Just you'll find me in a poky place somewhere. Now, the very good people of Harvey Norman, don't just make it possible for us to go around the country to hang out, to have so much fun action every month. But also they are huge supporters of sport and particularly champions of female sport. There has just been the very first three game series in the State of origin and for female players there are tens of thousands of women playing rugby league and his part of this incredible series worth celebrating because Queensland won. Okay, that's cheap, heap, roll it up. Queensland loves it's footy and for rugby league players in this state, there's no higher honor than being able to pull on the maroon jersey in State of Origin. For way too long, it's an honor the only men who've been able to dream of. But now women can do it too. Thanks to the support of Katie Page and Harvey Norman, the women's game has grown exponentially. Did you know that there are forty thousand female participants taking part in rugby league activities across the country this year. That's the biggest ever and now it means that women can dream of wearing that jersey and competing for the Harvey Norman Queensland Morons in a three game series. Two of Queensland's best are Julia Robinson and Ronmy Teezel. They tell us how it's been incredible to watch the women's game grow year after year after year.
Speaker 4: Those young girls who get to play in the junior clubs throughout the whole junior years and be able to play rugby league at school, now they're going to have a great step. They're going to have that big step in front of our girls.
Speaker 7: Setting up young girls for successes, providing a professional environment at such a young age. And a lot of the local schools here have rugby league programs for girls and they're develop and grow in those spaces before they come out and they'll be taking over our sports xener old w players very shortly.
Speaker 1: I guess this.
Speaker 2: Year's State of Origin series has been amazing. Game one, in front of twenty five thousand fans was great for New South Wales. They got up twenty to twelve and the icing on the cake was the eighty five meter try by the wonderful Janie Chapman.
Speaker 11: Again it's the boys galloping up held no One. He's gatostop Jamie Chapman.
Speaker 2: And even the pouring rain couldn't stop the Origin spirit for Game two when Queensland were able to draw level in the series. Takes to a late field goal from Lauren Brown.
Speaker 11: Lauren Brats kicks the ball up, go the field goal, Hey Lobley.
Speaker 2: Butcher's check that which means for the first time in women's origin history, we have got a decider. One game for New South Wales, one game for Queensland, and it's all on the line. Queensland got off to a flyer leading fourteen mill at halftime they were all over New South Wales and this incredible effort from Julia Robinson sunded up.
Speaker 11: Last play. It goes pat his top on the right. Her kick through the line ex still there, not backwards by New South Wales and.
Speaker 1: Fallen on by Julia Robinson.
Speaker 11: Queensland had another try. They're out by twelve points.
Speaker 2: You said Wales were able to get some life alfter halftime with a ninety meter intercept try by guessed Jamie Chapman.
Speaker 1: Here's Taranaka with number.
Speaker 11: She passed it straight to Jamie Chaffin, who gets away from acodness.
Speaker 2: Now she winds up.
Speaker 11: She's a link of the failed specialist.
Speaker 1: You are riding with Jamie.
Speaker 11: Chappan, who goes all the way to a different airports, the one on the other end of the field.
Speaker 2: Ultimately, Queensland triumph twenty two to six, meaning that you just didn't win the game with the state of origin title Stags hu in Queensland. What an absolutely fantastic seas and as everyone knows these days, it's only going to get better because young women are more focused and energized and supported than ever before to reach their origin dreams. That's only possible thanks to Harvey Norman, thanks to our mate Katie Page, and thanks to the fans who backed these women in each and every year.
Speaker 7: It's pretty surreal, to be honest, growing up, I never had any female role models in the rugby league space. How many girls played rugby league, and especially in a small town, I think that was something that didn't really happen and not many young girls got involved.
Speaker 4: It will get to the point that girls won't have to work and that all they have to do is go to training and play for you.
Speaker 2: Amazing athletes, lovely people. Will meet two in a second. But speaking of Harvey Norman, here in early September, the McGregor Homemaker Center is going to be opening. It's going to be South Brisbane's premier homemaker shopping destination has two of Australia's leading retailers in both Harvey Norman and Domain. It's going to be located on Kessels Road in McGregor, just twelve k's from Brisbane, CBD. It'll boast over twenty three thousand square meters a premium retail space, five hundred and twenty undercover car spaces, and service that is the best in town. So make sure that you pop on down to Having Norman McGregor will be open in early September. But would you please welcome Jamie and Julia the stars of Oregon this year. Thanks you all done, guys, well done. Now, Jamie, I want to ask you when you when you make a break and you're going that's the line long way? How far out are you going? How long do I have to run for? Because like, do you just how did you just? The adrenaline runs you focus your fire? How do you do it?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 4: Origin is a very fast game and you've got to make the most of your opportunity that you get. So when I saw the opportunity open, I just went for it. And honestly I was feeling like that as soon as I got the ball, I went, oh god, I'm going to have to run here, and you know, I went for and lucky enough for I got to the trail line.
Speaker 2: I have a similar athletics. Oh, the letters have been delivered, I'll do it tomorrow. That's generally my process for you, Julia, congratulations on winning the series. You were both laughing, hopefully not at what I was saying, But looking back at highlights, how does it feel to be able to now that it is the expectation that you're going to have highlights, You're going to have the commentators, you can have the crowd, like all that fantasy that you had as a young player. Is it still weird to watch yourself back like that.
Speaker 4: It is, like, I feel like it's kind of a dream come true, and it is a great It's a great thing for women's sport in general. So it's like it's awesome to see that we're getting that support and we having the commentators like lived heaving on like ten or nine and everything. So yeah, it's awesome for us US girls to have that opportunity.
Speaker 2: But even to talk about, like even a couple of years ago, right, some of the great successes that you had weren't seen on television, they're or they're seen at a certain time when people and seeing them in those those early parts of your career. Compared to your phone blowing up after Origin, what's that feel like? Does it feel like a world ago that you know, a couple of years ago, just a number of people watching you was different.
Speaker 4: Yeah, definitely. I'm only still one of the young ones. I'm the youngest in the new South Wales team and I don't feel it, to be honest, after all the footy I've had, But even from when I was coming through, I was a development player and we were only getting paid a few thousand dollars and we still have to work a full time job at the moment and juggle both football and a job. But to see where it's come from, just in the short time that I've been a part of NLW, the it's come so far, and it's growing so fast and so rapidly, and thanks to all our sponsors, our fans and all the young girls pushing us to be better.
Speaker 2: So the wonderful thing about Origin is we've all known as fans and then obviously you guys as players. Right do you go through the same process that a fan does. When you turn around, you go, okay, we won game one. We lost game one, that's okay, We've got game two or right, don't worry about it if we do this like is it is it all or nothing, regardless of whether it's game one or game three. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I feel like you have to treat every game like do or die. Like I feel like, especially in our second game, like it was do or die for us. We had to like win that game or it was done for us. So I think we always like prepare like it's just another game. So we don't we can't obviously reflect and review the first games, but we can't treat every game as like another game. So going going hard, which.
Speaker 2: Bit hurt the most after the game.
Speaker 4: Oh always when you're seeing Queensland lift up that shield, I think I looked the opposite direction and I was just doing like this.
Speaker 2: So much sympathy in the room too, I mean, you really feel for the news, Isn't that just terrible? Congratulations? Thank you for everything that you're doing in your career, the inspiration that you're giving to young women all over the entry. Congratulations, give it up for a well done guys. Thank you so much, Jamie. Thank you very much, Julie. Now, also I've got a special you don't get to win this prize. I'm about to you. Are you're going, oh, I'm going to get some No no, no, more prizes for you. Thanks to the good people of Harvey Norman noted them help back hounds.
Speaker 1: It's good.
Speaker 2: Don't worry. Okay. Now I have got a five hundred dollars gift boucher thanks to the very good people of Harvey Norman. I'm about to give it away here. So do you have a yellow ticket if you're in the room all right? Does it have the number of the litter d in it? If it's ticket forty seven, you just won five hundred dollars gift voucher from Harvey Norman Winners in the room.
Speaker 9: Why is this?
Speaker 1: There's one hundred people in a room.
Speaker 2: No one's gone. It happens every time. No, thank you, congratulations, well done. Thanks for the good people are Harvey Norman. Immigrant story is opening around late September. Thank you very much. Quick more year alive. I love that. To the government three, I love more fruit stuff. Thanks for watching. Now, as you know, we've done shows from to Wimba and all over Queensland, and the dominant issue, as you heard with Amanda before, is crime. Crime. Good people want to be able to be safe and good people want to know that there's consequences. Ben Cannon is one of those good people who's got together with others that are victims of crime, who you've seen on the news. They've been rallying and trying to push and he's seeing how to talk about a very big issue, but a very important one and it's number one for people in Queensland right now. Firstly, most importantly, think if your work I appreciate it, I really appreciate it. We're at this point now where the problem is very well defined. The government turns around and says, oh, X million dollars for this and this that, but the fundamental doesn't change, which is what we need to change, which is if something happens to you, the person who did it to you has to receive some sort of punishment for what they did to you. Instead, the system seems to be you are irrelevant and it's only about the perpetrator. Why did they do it? What will happen to their life if they get punished? And that seems pretty screwing because you've spent so much time around people who are victims of crimes, whose lives are changed forever. Yeah. Correct.
Speaker 12: The problem with it is there's so many layers that are dysfunctional and broken. You know, you go from the US. The most confronting thing for us in our situation was meeting kids that you know, I coach football. I've got kids that are the same age as them, you know, that are causing just horrific like war scenes. You know, some traumas happened to them, some crime has been committed to them that hasn't been brought to task. They then end up doing this apprenticeship on crime through this revolving door of justice that we have in Queensland, and they get better at it. And when they get better at it in crime, more people get hurt and there's more vicyctoms. You know, when you get to the Sentencing Act. This is stuff I didn't want to know a lot about. When you look at the Sentencing Act, you know there's a statue at the front.
Speaker 2: With the sort of scale line justice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's it.
Speaker 12: So what the problem with it is is there's no there's no scales like it's all weighted to one side, which is the as you say, the welfare and the sob story of the criminal. Now I'm not saying it's not a part of it. It has to be, and we have to get better at rehabilitating these people otherwise we get this repeat cycle. But if you can't have the same weight on the other side, which is the victim, then it's an imbalanced justice.
Speaker 2: Well, and I often flip my lid when I hear well meaning people, Right, I don't think there's a lot of nasty people in the system. It's just they think there's only one solution and it's the one they've got, right. But when I hear about things like I'm raising the age of criminal responsibility now, that will not disappear crime. It will just disappear allegedly being able to hold somebody responsible for the crime. Right, So in places like Tory, they're going up to fourteen. This government, while simultaneously saying we're doing something about youth crime, was also decriminalizing possession, which meant the numbers would get fiddled in the lead up to an election. Is that a fair perception or is that just angry guy on TV stuff? Yeah?
Speaker 12: I think that fundamentally, we have to separate bad behavior from good people. And so if you just look at it simply in that sense, we don't want to lock up kids. But what we want to see is kids taken out of a very traumatic environment and put into an environment that as a state we're proud of that is going to make them better. We don't have that solution at the moment. So what we've got is nothing's getting done. You know, I've met with Bob g I've met with Die Farmer, I've met with Stephen Miles, I've met with Mike Kaiser, and these are from you know, I get marched into these meetings and I get told how important these people are and how wonderfully powerful they are, and you know, you should be gracious and grateful for the time. But the reality of it is is that I don't think they're bad people, but there's some disconnect through the emotions that they show you in that meeting about how they feel and empathize and how they genuinely understand the plight of the people that nothing gets done. We sit here with more reviews, we sit here with more data, We sit here that the report that came out last week Bob g came out and see if you can find me a better system around the world.
Speaker 2: We'll look at it.
Speaker 1: Belgium, Spain.
Speaker 12: I only use Google, but I'm sure you've got better resources to find them. You know, there are better systems than what we've got. We asked for them to build a facility similar to weld Camp. It took them nine months and on a Sunday afternoon they made the decision to build it two hundred and fifty million dollars. Nine months later, it was a thousand bed facility. Now, since we asked for that two and a half years ago, there still hasn't been another bed made. They're locking more kids up, which in turn are being put back into these same traumatic environments of broken prisons that end up getting spat out better than they went in as a criminal, not as a person, And we think we're doing something better for me. It's personal, but it's also so frustrating. We told them that people would lose their lives if they don't get this right. They all nodded and die farmer and you know, but nothing's changed. Absolutely nothing's changed.
Speaker 2: It's frustrating. So then okay, when you go through that process and again, people in this group, people who've been out in the front apartment. These are normal people who, unlike you know, some startlight being, wants to be on telling you you know, lean forward right, normal people. It's not easy for normal people to put their head above things to be seen, for people to go you're just a team blue, You're just a you know, like that idiot laboring p in towns. Well, it's all sort of a media lead up, like I can't swear first some in front of guests. But that's obviously garbage, right it's but for those people are there moments where they give up, where they just say, look, I've been part of the group. That's great, but I've been noted at too many times.
Speaker 12: We've got a problem in Queensland. We've got many career politicians. They believe their own retoric. You know, as I say, what do they call it? The tower of power? These people have titles. I mean, if I try and go back to my work environment and tell people to call me by a title, I mean, I'll get dragged before the courts. I mean, and then these people all think it's just a it's a normal way to operate. You've got people that are operating in this environment day in day out, and they never actually put boots on the ground and go out and walk through a school in western Queensland that Indigenous kids are suffering, and never go out to Ipswich or Mount Eyes or any of these places that we've got absolute carnage. They just make a decision from one, you know, William Street.
Speaker 2: Because they only care about the six pm news front page of the paper, that it's just keeping the issue. But the issue isn't It's not an issue. It's people.
Speaker 1: It's human beings.
Speaker 2: And in the same way that in a natural disaster we say the humans matter, we rush towards, we triage all of that, the same has to apply in this area for victims. So give us a night, give us the shopping list or the main stuff that you take into this election. And you're trying to yell at every team to do.
Speaker 12: You know, I think when we get on the extreme end of crime, and we've got lots of kids, unfortunately they're starting to get there, you have to process them as we do adults. You know, this youth justice slows down an already bogged up system. So adult crime child you know, what do they say adult crime you do the same time, so it has to sort of have that same balance. The thing with it also is when you say kids don't make the kids that don't make good choices did it by osmosis or bad upbringing, you take away the power of kids that make really good decisions because you can't have it both ways. You can't have kids in these communities that are rising above and kids that are tearing everything down and say, well, one side they just made really good decisions, were really proud, and the other ones, well, it was you know, it was Tuesday they had you know this and this the reality of it is is choice is a choice, and they have to own them. Consequences are part of that. Now, whether you call it detention, whether you call it, but you have to separate bad behavior from good people. And you know, I go back to welcamp. In nine months we build a thousand bed facility. They could have taken the kids there, They could have introduced their families to better habits. They could have really kind of said, unless you get better, you're not getting out.
Speaker 2: What's the thing. You can't simultaneously be the place that wants to hold an Olympic Games, but can't hold people accountable crime, right Like, it's pretty simple, right Ben, Thank you so much for give them random plause, strength and love to you and all of the group. Mate, they really love your guys. All right, quick break back with more human pul myray line. Welcome back to the Glen Hotel here in McGregor. Thank you to Brian and Pathy for taking care of us. Why am I sitting like this because a man who might be about to become the Queensland premiere should the election go his ways, None of them, the Great David christophili the leader of the olymp give me random the pause. This man's a very good man. But before we're getting into a conversation, I have longed for an opportunity to become a Queenslander without actually living in Queensland because whatever now would you have me? Now, as I've said, if you pass the law that blood transfusions have become a Queensland and makes you great, awesome. But till then, I'm going to answer some of your questions. I'm going to sit a Queensland citizenship test not legal for those that are watching The Guardian, Yeah yeah, look at this. So what are some questions and let's see if I'm a Queensland and if I need to find a friend, I've got one hundred with me.
Speaker 12: I've got half a dozen here.
Speaker 1: Oh they got music.
Speaker 5: You have music. But I've waited all my life to be the one asking you questions.
Speaker 3: See this is really good, all right?
Speaker 2: What is the animal emblem of Queensland. It's not Matilda because that's the Gold Coast. It's a koala o.
Speaker 4: Thank you?
Speaker 2: Okay, I knew that, all right.
Speaker 5: The next one is who is the Queen's Land Premier? And you can't name the head of the cfm Au.
Speaker 2: Giggles Miles Giggles mile right.
Speaker 5: Which Queensland city is known as the Rum City bunderbook? Well done, which Queensland band is best known for the song my Happiness Done?
Speaker 2: And didn't they do an album about Vulture Street which is near the Gabba? Done very well?
Speaker 5: But another half a point, which are the following icons? Which are the following icons is not found in Queensland The big Bull, the Big Mango, the big pineapple, or the big.
Speaker 2: Prawn, the big prawn because that's in northern New South Wales.
Speaker 1: Two to go?
Speaker 2: Do I look actually nervous because they am.
Speaker 5: If I was to say that I had in my possession a Milton Mango, what is it?
Speaker 2: Can I phone a friend? I think it's the prices right, it's some sort of alcohol drinking, Yes, Milton Mango. Yes, so Milton Dick, which means I get drunk and I'm an idiot? It is different? Does it mean I overspend on something I don't know? I don't know? It's a four four ex a Milton Mango?
Speaker 1: Still close?
Speaker 2: All right? You can get one wrong and you still become a Queenslander.
Speaker 5: And absolutely and the final who is the current holder of the state of origin shield for the men Queensland?
Speaker 2: Oh yes, I'm a Queenslander. It is Thank you. I appreciate it. We will have you any time. Thank you all right. And in exchange for this citizenship, let's now talk about what you'd like to do at the election. How does that I'm a Queenslander? Great a Milton Mango bagger? That's going to give me for a while. You've heard about what people say on the doors. It'd be the same from Roma to all sorts of places. Is it crime? Is it cost of living? Is it housing? What's the thing that Queensland desperately needs.
Speaker 5: We're saying to people the battle lines for the election is after a decade of this mob, things better or worse when it comes to youth crime, health, housing and cost of living, and who's got the right plans to do something about it. And tonight you saw earlier on the kind of talent that we've got in our team. We've got a generation of candidates who understand their communities and increasingly people are saying I've had enough and they want to know that there is a better way, and we're charting that better course. So for every one of the four crises that we've outlined, we've also put forward our solutions. So let me be clear. If government changes by the end of the year, the making Queensland Safer laws will be laws. It'll be the first bit of legislation we take to the Parliament be passed by the end of the year. It will remove detention as the last resort. It'll rewrite the Youth Justice Act, so we will change the sentencing provisions to put the rights of the victims head of the rights of the offenders. And we're going to fix that broken system, that pipeline that's coming through because things have got to change, and for all of those crises, we've mapped out a solution.
Speaker 2: I want to ask David the bloker question, why do you want to be premier? And I don't mean that in the soft way, because you know that I would like a change too. I'm asking you, the bloke, to every other normal person in this room and watching, why do you want to be premier? Because I want people to have hope again.
Speaker 5: And I want my dad, who's a farmer, to know that he's not going to have a different set of regulation and rules and anti Dam's agenda. I want my sister, who runs a small business to know that there's not going to be those increasing costs. I want my mates to know that when they put their kids to bed at night, they don't have to make a decision whether or not to hide the keys under a pillow or leave them at the front door. And I wanted people to know that when they pick up a phone that there's going to be an MBO that turns up. We're a hell of a lot better than what we're getting at the moment. This remains the best state in the country, and I want people to know that despite the fact I point out that we've got a rubbish government. All the fundamentals of this place.
Speaker 2: Are rock solid.
Speaker 5: You know, we've got agriculture, we've got mining, we've got tourism. People are looking at us, they're looking to headquarter businesses here if we get the mechanics right. But it won't happen if we keep changing taxations and regulations. It won't happen. If we have more victims of crime than anywhere else.
Speaker 1: But if we get that.
Speaker 5: Fundamentals right, mate, this place is prime for great things.
Speaker 2: Good man, Thank you so much, David Christopher, and good luck, good luck to your team. Thank you for the Queen stated things. Thank you, Glenn Hotel. We'll see you again in the great effects of the people. Are happy. Im still coming here in September. We'll see it, Murim tell here's the World Report.