Speaker 1: And then that was when sometime I'm trying to think that was probably it was after seven o'clock. It might have been even after eight o'clock by that time. I can't remember, honestly. All I know is it was dark.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: It was probably at least an hour or maybe an hour and a half after the plane landed, whatever time that was, And that was dark, because I remember I got off the plane in the dark.
Speaker 3: This is what John Winfield told police about the night. In May nineteen ninety three, he returned to Lennox Head from Sydney the night his wife bromwin vanished from their Sandstone Crescent home, where re enacting excerpts of his first and only formal police interview with Detective Sergeant Glenn Taylor.
Speaker 2: Do you know did you make any phone calls?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: I didn't.
Speaker 3: The seventy six page typewritten transcript of the interview is being examined by the Australian's National Chief correspondent Headley Thomas in episodes fourteen and fifteen of the bromwn podcast series. They're live now for subscribers at bromwn podcast dot com and on the Australians app. Those phone calls have sparked a new element of this investigation exactly what went down in the Winfield home on the night Bromwyn was last seen. I'm Claire Harvey, the Australian's editorial director. You've just heard a small snippet of episode fifteen of Bromwyn, and there's more to come in just a moment. We love you to join our subscribers over at Bromwyn podcast dot com to hear this thrilling new episode. First, our subscribers play a vital role in helping us fund these complex investigations. That means new episodes of Bromwin are locked for a few weeks before they're available where you're listening now. As you've just heard, John Winfield initially told police he didn't make any calls from the home at Sandstone Crescent on that night May sixteenth, nineteen ninety three, but when police showed him the phone records from the house, he said he did make two calls, one to his daughter Jody at six point fifty three pm and his brother Peter at seven o six pm.
Speaker 1: Oh I see, yeah, I rang that one. Yeah, to tell Jody I was at home. Yeah that's right, Yeah, yeah, I remember, Yeah, I rang Jody and said, Okay, I'm back home now, you know, because I sort of come up now, I remember that's Jody and my brother.
Speaker 3: The one at seven oh six.
Speaker 1: Yes, my brother, yep, I rang my brother too. Yes, that's my brother's number. Yeah, I forgot about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah. That prompted another question for Headley. Was it possible for John's recollection to be right or is it possible those calls were actually made by bromwin Winfield, perhaps concerned about her husband's imminent arrival. John Winfield told police he landed at Ballina Airport that night after sunset, So could John have got to the home in time for that six fifty three pm phone call. He's Headley speaking in episode fifteen.
Speaker 2: We have been trying to confirm the arrival time in Ballina on May sixteen, nineteen ninety three of the flight which John Winfield bordered in Sydney earlier that day. It was a seventy to eighty minute flight. The airline Anset Australia, which collapsed several years later, flew the route for several days. I was tantalizingly close because of the discovery of an ANSET timetable for the months of September nineteen ninety two to March of nineteen ninety three, but I didn't have the May nineteen ninety three timetable. We were close, no cigar. Here's why it might be crucial. It struck me that the timing appeared to make it very difficult, if not impossible, for John to have made those.
Speaker 3: Calls to find out for sure. Headley needed that timetable. And that's where one very diligent listener of Bromwin comes in, lawyer Karina Berger.
Speaker 2: You've done work with coronial inquiries over a number of years, haven't you. Yes, I have Hesley.
Speaker 3: To find out what Hedley and Karina have discovered, along with some illuminating findings by our senior reporter Matt Condon. Join our subscribers at Roman podcast dot com.