Speaker 1: Welcome to the Code NRL show. Dave Riccio, as always, with Michael Karyanis and Brent Reid.
Speaker 2: Oh, hello, Dave.
Speaker 3: Hello.
Speaker 1: Hey, boys, I'm not going to get into what was another drama-charged rugby league week.
Speaker 3: But before we get into today's show, I want to say something.
Speaker 1: About this very, very special project currently on the Code Sports website, and that's that brand-new exclusive series called Sacked NRL.
Speaker 3: It's gone bananas.
Speaker 1: It goes behind the scenes with some of the Biggest names to ever play the game, we've seen Braitha Nasta. Mitch Pearce is coming, Marty Tapao. Matt Elliott, the former head coach, is coming. So too Todd Carney and James Graham. Our guest episode, I was about to say our very special guest for episode two is Braitha Nasta. He starred for City in that 22-all draw with City Country in the lead-up to the Origin Series, but he woke the next day to headlines saying, that players in the countryside didn't want him in the New South Wales team.
Speaker 3: Let's have a watch.
Speaker 2: And the back page, New South Wales players don't want to play to Braith. So they actually concocted a story to not pick me. I'm getting a bit emotional about it because I've never really told it publicly.
Speaker 1: So there's just a little grab there of what's to come for Braith and Astor's interview on the Sacked NRL podcast.
Speaker 3: It has its own homepage, fellas. Sackednrl.com.au.
Speaker 1: It's available now exclusively for Code Sports subscribers.
Speaker 3: Sackednrl.com.au. Get amongst it. Let's rip into it. The Brisbane Broncos. How on earth are we still talking about the Brisbane Broncos?
Speaker 2: Schmozzle.
Speaker 4: How did we get here?
Speaker 3: How did we get here?
Speaker 4: Like this time last year.
Speaker 3: Oh, yeah.
Speaker 4: Were you predicting a Mick? What do you mean? I didn't predict Dears. Not Dears.
Speaker 2: He even suggested.
Speaker 3: Nostradamus.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Can I say... I'm going to say this, Dave. I'm going to say this. I'm going to reveal this. I don't think Mick's... This has ever been revealed. Before the season began, Mick said to me, you should do a column on why they should part ways with Michael Maguire now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so... Yeah, I'll do... Have we.
Speaker 2: Well, I. Can you confirm that? Are you comfortable confirming that?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Sorry, sorry.
Speaker 3: Okay, now I'm coming with you on this.
Speaker 2: So before the season even started.
Speaker 3: Because you have been consistent about how they shouldn't re-sign.
Speaker 2: Mick saw this coming.
Speaker 4: I didn't see it though.
Speaker 3: But now you declared privately to colleagues that, that there's a column to be written that Michael should never have started this season with the Broncos?
Speaker 4: I said to, because Reedy obviously does his Saturday column and he was looking for ideas and I said, well, I've got a crazy suggestion. Macca's award. Participation award. I've got a crazy suggestion that Brisbane, like I should have coached this year. I don't think it was like, immediate sacking. That's not what I was getting at, right? But coach, no, no, but to tell him this, like, you're not going to be re-signed as Brisbane coach.
Speaker 3: It's whatever the length of this contract is, that's it.
Speaker 4: Which meant, in turn, this probably would have been his last year, right?
Speaker 2: And my response was, you're a complete and utter imbecile.
Speaker 4: And I said, you're right. I go, it sounds so stupid to say because the last time he coached, they won a comp, right? So it was absurd to say. I understood that. I got it.
Speaker 1: And, but, What led you to that?
Speaker 2: History.
Speaker 4: History. He's a guy that can win a competition. There's no doubt about that. And he's a really good coach.
Speaker 3: He can win trophies.
Speaker 4: He can get it done, right? But once that job is done, the job is done. Move on. It doesn't get any better. Luke Keery summed it up the best. He's put it into words what I was trying to get at. When South won the competition, it wasn't built on sustained success. That's where we're at again, right? The players climbed the mountains.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: They did an amazing job and he's a premiership window coach. I've said this a thousand times that, you know, if you're looking to win a comp, that's who I'd get. But he's a two to three year max. And the thing with the Broncos is that things probably happened sooner than we all thought last year. Right. Usually, you know, with Madge, it's year two. It's a three year project.
Speaker 2: That's why they gave him a three year deal.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah. I'm not being critical of the length of the deal they gave him. Right. Like I get it.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying that was their expectation as well.
Speaker 4: That it wasn't going to happen as quick. And because it's happened so quick, it's happened so quick. it's unravelled so quick.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So job done. Thank you, Madge. You ended the drought.
Speaker 3: How can't Broncos management see this? Because all the commentary out of Broncos is he's our coach for the future.
Speaker 2: Because it seems insane to sack a guy who won a comp less than 12 months ago. It seems insane.
Speaker 1: Not when you put it like, he doesn't sound like an insane person, Michael Kariotis, when he's explaining that.
Speaker 2: Oh, please.
Speaker 4: And I think we're- You need to spend more time with the bloke.
Speaker 3: No, I understand.
Speaker 1: But being honest- Everything he just explained stacks up.
Speaker 2: What he sees, Dave, is what a lot of people see, right?
Speaker 3: Who's he?
Speaker 2: What Mick sees is what a lot of people see, that maybe the best thing for the Broncos is to move on. It's very hard when you're a club that's waited so long to win a comp, right? And you have a coach who has won your premiership and has a year left on his deal. I'm not sure many clubs would, Come out and say he's gone.
Speaker 4: None would. It's insane. And I said it. I said it to you at the time, Reid. I said, this is insane.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Right.
Speaker 4: It's an insane thing to talk about. Insane thing to write.
Speaker 2: But. But it would also be insane right now. To extend his deal, which is what they're talking about.
Speaker 3: But that's where I'm coming from.
Speaker 2: That would be insane as well.
Speaker 3: We can say it's insane that you would sack him, but alternatively, they're saying they're going to extend him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you sit tight. Don't do anything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so why are you talking about it?
Speaker 2: You don't need to do anything.
Speaker 3: Is there not? Because clubs, Dave.
Speaker 2: Clubs have this misguided view that if you extend a coach and give him, you know, if he's got two or three years left on his deal, it gives them stability and certainty, but it doesn't. The only thing that gives you that is winning, right? So clubs, I can't believe clubs can't get their head around this, that they still think if we give him two more years, no one will talk about the coach. But the minute you start losing, people will start talking about the coach again.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So the best thing they can do right now, I mean, it doesn't matter anyway, they'll have a payout clause in the contract. Soon enough, they give him two more years, it'll have a six-month payout clause or whatever, standard six-month payout clause. Yeah. The best thing they can do is just sit tight. They're doing a review anyway. You can't extend him before the review starts.
Speaker 3: So the players are going to be interviewed as part of it?
Speaker 2: Will they?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I've been told they are.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, okay. Well, that's good.
Speaker 4: If you're going to do a review, you have to speak to the players.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, it feels like it's a bit of a half-pie review, to be fair.
Speaker 4: Every club does a review at the end of the year, but if you do any sort of review, you have to talk. It doesn't mean you have to... like listen to everything they say, but you have to take it into consideration when you're speaking to all the key stakeholders and players are a huge stakeholder in terms of who the coach is at the club.
Speaker 3: This Adam Reynolds situation has been an entire mess.
Speaker 2: Well, even with, you know, we've talked about the way their season's gone, right? It's been really poor. And since the pre-season, it's been a schmuzzle, right? But this week took it, the club plumbed new depths and With their handling of the Adam Reynolds situation. Ham-fisted. It was just a complete nut of rabble and mess.
Speaker 3: Unbelievable.
Speaker 2: And I don't know how something could be handled so poorly. It's astonishing.
Speaker 3: Particularly when the CEO is a former journo. Yep.
Speaker 1: Particularly when they've got a crisis manager.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: And particularly when you've got an experienced head coach. He's not a rookie coach. No. He walks through.
Speaker 2: And I understand that.
Speaker 3: He lived through. weekly crisis at the West Tigers.
Speaker 2: I understand. He's lived it weekly this year. I understand. Look, Adam obviously got emotional, right? And probably came out Monday night, was very emotional, reacted. You know, the club didn't have control over his reaction. But they had control over the days after that, or the next day, the 24 hours after that. And that's where I think, in my view, they got it wrong.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agreed with you.
Speaker 1: Sentiment last night on 360, where why weren't both of them there?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can't preach unity and then do two separate press conferences.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: And then the other one, too, for me is, and I know this from other clubs, that they do planning around their departing players six weeks in advance. Were they not thinking that at some point we're going to address how we send off Adam Reynolds if he doesn't get onto the footy field? It seems so, as you said, ham-fisted.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's been up. Salute train wreck this week. In a week, we should be sitting here going, oh, great news around the Broncos. Let's celebrate Adam Reynolds. They've had nothing to celebrate all year, but let's talk about a positive for him.
Speaker 3: Nope.
Speaker 2: No. He should be playing, man. He should be on the bench, play 20 minutes.
Speaker 4: Really?
Speaker 1: Is there not the rule that has been brought into this game that caters for carrying extra players on your bench and not using them? Could they have not just named him on a six-man bench and... Hey, are we even talking about it today if he's sitting on this six-man bench?
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 4: Not if Adam was comfortable with it, but he probably doesn't come out and say what he said on Monday.
Speaker 1: And then to your point, Mick Glaston on 360, next week, there's an opportunity to put him on a six-man bench, for goodness sake.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know. If you said to Adam, oh, you're not quite ready this week, are you close next week, or do you think you'll be in a better position? I know you want a farewell, but how about we give you another week and you play next week?
Speaker 2: Mm-hmm.
Speaker 4: Was that a consideration? Was that a conversation? It's sort of been glossed over a little bit, right? But whether or not it was just Adam's fault.
Speaker 2: Week or bus, Mick. You know, he wanted to say his farewell at Suncorp Stadium by the sounds of it. And that's where I would say Adam's got overly emotional in this situation, right? Because it sounds like he's been... I wouldn't say forced is probably not the right word, but it sounds like Encouraged. Dave decided he wasn't ready this week, right? And he just, in his view, he wanted to play this week. If he couldn't play this week, forget about it. That's the way I read the situation. That's why I don't think next week's a consideration.
Speaker 4: Should it have been, though?
Speaker 2: 100%.
Speaker 3: Well, probably, but again, yeah, I mean, I think- I tell you what I reckon has changed it? Beating the Raiders.
Speaker 1: Because I reckon Madge wants to win these final two games and the two halves got the job done down in Canberra.
Speaker 3: It was a pretty big win.
Speaker 4: It was a good win.
Speaker 3: With so much emotion around that Raiders game. Yeah. And I think if they don't get the result there, there's an opportunity to say, well, that didn't work. Let's give Adam a crack in the last two weeks. But because it did work, because it was a significant win and well done Bronx, he doesn't want to change those halves.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's madness. Madness. You're not playing for finals. They're trawling a rule in the game.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 2: Come on, man.
Speaker 3: Well, there is a game on, so who are you tipping, fellas? Broncos, Storm, Melbourne.
Speaker 2: Broncos for me, Dave.
Speaker 3: Oh, wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they'll bounce back.
Speaker 3: Tough week. The key for me here is this is a pretty decent Storm lineup. Yeah, they are. With Jerome Hughes' name to play back from a hammy issue, so I'm leaning towards the Storm.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: There's some monster games this weekend.
Speaker 2: Huge.
Speaker 3: Huge?
Speaker 2: Huge games.
Speaker 3: How big, Mick? Big.
Speaker 2: Large.
Speaker 3: Large.
Speaker 2: Get excited, Mick.
Speaker 3: He's an excitable guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look at him.
Speaker 4: What gets you excited, Mick?
Speaker 3: Control your emotions, pal. What gets you excited? Are you disappointed about the Dragons or something? What's wrong?
Speaker 4: He's been off today, isn't he? That horse bolted long ago.
Speaker 3: What excites you, Mick?
Speaker 4: Rugby league.
Speaker 3: Well, not at the moment. We've got a massive game between the Panthers and Dogs. Can you fire up?
Speaker 4: Panthers-Dogs, yeah. COVID Cup.
Speaker 2: COVID Cup.
Speaker 3: Did the Panthers have COVID?
Speaker 4: Nah, not yet.
Speaker 2: Not yet.
Speaker 3: COVID Cup.
Speaker 4: They could.
Speaker 2: It's very interesting, isn't it?
Speaker 3: The.
Speaker 2: What happens after this game if some Panthers players test positive for COVID with the finals only a week and two weeks away? Do you think they'll be happy about that?
Speaker 3: They have a couple of days off and they'd play the following week.
Speaker 2: Do you reckon they'd be happy? Would you be happy about that, Dave? Put yourself in Ivan Cleary's shoes.
Speaker 1: Well, you've given me the flu in the past. That's with coughing and spluttering all over me.
Speaker 4: Definitely headaches you've given us.
Speaker 3: Headaches for sure.
Speaker 2: Migraines. Would you be happy about that?
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 4: But what are you going to do?
Speaker 2: I did speak to Aaron Warburton about it. Actually, the Bulldogs CEO. He said they'd take him. every precaution with their players.
Speaker 4: What's the alternative? What are they supposed to do?
Speaker 3: I don't know. So when they're doing ball work, what's every precaution, mate?
Speaker 4: Sanitise the ball again. Stop the play. Sanitise the ball.
Speaker 2: Stop the play with COVID. There's the COVID guys and the non-COVID guys.
Speaker 4: Remember, yes, that's clean the balls? Yeah. What a world it was.
Speaker 3: What a world.
Speaker 2: Crazy. Feels like a lifetime ago.
Speaker 1: This is the fifth halves change for the Panthers in seven weeks. I have concerns. I don't think you can... Where's the consistency?
Speaker 4: Jack Coll did get suspended, so it's not a selection decision.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 4: It's a change. No, no, I know, but you've got concerns. But the reason they've brought Jack Coll in is because- So Jack Coll over Blaze Talangi.
Speaker 2: Well, Blaze is clearly the odd man out at the moment.
Speaker 3: What do you reckon the dogs fear more running at them?
Speaker 2: Well, probably Blaze, I would think. I don't think it's necessary about that with Blaze.
Speaker 3: You think it's about defense.
Speaker 4: It's defense. And they've got enough points of attack where they can score points to Panthers. So that's why I understood the Jack Cogger selection. It is surprising going for Jack Cole, considering he's off to the Bears.
Speaker 3: He's going to the Bears, yeah.
Speaker 4: But Penrith are there to try and get another minor premiership into a grand final, right?
Speaker 2: Very interesting what it means for Blaze, though, don't you think? I mean, I.
Speaker 3: Are you convinced he stays at Penrith?
Speaker 2: No, I don't.
Speaker 4: How can you be convinced, Dave? You can't. You can't, given... the fact now that he's the third-choice 5'8 at the club.
Speaker 2: He's a November 1 guy.
Speaker 4: November 1, though, they've had to spend money.
Speaker 3: He's on good money, hey?
Speaker 4: And no amount of money they're going to have to spend. We're hearing Liam Arden was asking for a million dollars. The other re-signings aren't cheap. So there's been a bit of, yeah, so you look at the guys that are expendable in a way, and you go, well, they're not going to rush to re-sign Blaze at the moment, are you?
Speaker 2: I would not be surprised if he's had another club Next year. That would not shock me.
Speaker 3: Should he come home to Parramatta with his brother Ryder?
Speaker 2: The problem is they've signed Jerome for next year. Play six, right?
Speaker 3: For one year.
Speaker 2: Maybe you can stick him in the Senators for 12 months. Maybe. If I were Parra, I'd be looking at him, definitely.
Speaker 3: What are they paying Jerome next year again?
Speaker 2: $ 600.
Speaker 4: $ 600? $ 600, okay.
Speaker 3: So I was just trying to work out whether you could actually have them both in the team, one off the bench. Just for a year, because it is one year for Jerome. But you've then got Blaze for the next three.
Speaker 2: And he can shove him in the centres. When Jerome goes at the end of next year, you move him to six, and then you get Brabham best. Boom. That's a dangerous looking back line.
Speaker 3: They'd be an appeal for him. As we were.
Speaker 2: Exclusively revealed today, they're very heavy. In, they want Bradman Best.
Speaker 3: Well, they can't be, mate, because it's not November 1 yet.
Speaker 2: On November 1, they're very keen.
Speaker 3: Are they just waving a Bradman flag?
Speaker 2: On November 1.
Speaker 4: Brady's waving it for them.
Speaker 2: On November 1, they're in, baby.
Speaker 3: Out of the front of Convink.
Speaker 2: And you know what? Big, big buckaroonies for him. Sorry to take you off the subject. You're on Panthers Bulldogs.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, no. Yeah, Panthers Bulldogs. But we are.
Speaker 1: We're trying to find a home for Blaise Talangi.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think power is a logical one.
Speaker 3: So Ryder Talangi makes his debut this Sunday.
Speaker 2: Is he playing this week?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh, wow. Australian schoolboy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's playing.
Speaker 2: He's a big front rower, right?
Speaker 3: Yeah, he is.
Speaker 2: Big bustling front rower.
Speaker 3: Yep. Makes his debut for the Eels.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: I'm sure he'll give Eels fans plenty to get excited about. He's a real talent. Yeah. I just think this halves dilemma for the Panthers, finding consistency, no yo.
Speaker 2: You're worried about Penrith, aren't you? Yeah, I am. You've been saying that.
Speaker 3: For a few weeks. I'm worried about them and then I'm worried about myself saying it because there's so much respect for them and there's so much trust in who they are and they're number seven.
Speaker 2: I was going to say, I can never worry about a team that has Nathan Cleary at halfback. The worries, every time I think, And I've written Penrith off in the past, right?
Speaker 1: Stupidly.
Speaker 2: And they've made me look like an idiot. One of many clubs that have made me look like an imbecile. But they have made me look stupid. So I'm not doing it again.
Speaker 3: Mick, you're a big body language expert guy, right? Dylan Edwards... Are we seeing a bit of a shift in Dylan? Have you seen this?
Speaker 4: He looks very cranky.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 4: No, you are. I did.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 4: I always come to you on the body. I'll be watching the game last week. I was like, when did he get angry pills?
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 4: He's in pushing and shoving. Frustration, maybe?
Speaker 3: What's going on?
Speaker 4: I don't know what's going on, but I had... You're right, Dave. I have noticed it.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: Look at you two. Yeah.
Speaker 4: You noticed it, really?
Speaker 2: Not particularly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's been in it.
Speaker 3: Well, he got... Did he get sin bin the week before against... Was it the Chooks?
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 3: In goal. That was a bit of a push and shove.
Speaker 4: Yes, it was. They got a penalty out of him. There's been a lot of.
Speaker 2: Actually, Dan mentioned it. He has been getting engaged, hasn't he?
Speaker 3: It's been surprising.
Speaker 4: Because that's not his demeanour. That's not his history, right?
Speaker 2: I'm a mild-mannered type.
Speaker 4: Want to watch, Reedy?
Speaker 3: So, is this a close game, fellas?
Speaker 2: I'll watch it this week.
Speaker 3: Is this a close game? Or is it... How are you seeing it?
Speaker 4: I think Penrith win, but it's close.
Speaker 2: Dogs beat them earlier this year.
Speaker 4: I'll stop it. Here we go.
Speaker 3: So, you think Penrith win this?
Speaker 2: Should I say it again? Yeah. You know Mick and I wrote a story with the blueprint. Penrith were unbeaten through five weeks or something. Everyone said they wouldn't lose a game. Mick and I did a story, spoke to some anonymous coaches with the blueprint to beat Penrith. Canterbury went out that week, copied our blueprint and beat Penrith.
Speaker 4: Copied our blueprint, he goes.
Speaker 3: Did they put it up on the walls of the dressing room?
Speaker 2: Maybe.
Speaker 4: I'll take it nice.
Speaker 2: Maybe.
Speaker 4: Cameron Serato was sitting there.
Speaker 3: Do you remember those days where... Well, that probably still happens. No doubt it still happens.
Speaker 1: This time it's a screenshot that are passed around. But when coaches would put our articles up inside dressing rooms.
Speaker 4: And now it's our clips when we say dumb shit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: In the video sessions. Yeah, a lot of your takes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, probably some code sports specials on there.
Speaker 2: I think the dogs are a chance in this game, don't they?
Speaker 3: Of course they are.
Speaker 2: Massive chance.
Speaker 3: Look, in the context.
Speaker 2: I think Penrith will win. With Mick, I think Penrith will win.
Speaker 3: Who needs to win more?
Speaker 2: Probably Penrith, right? Well, actually the dogs need to play.
Speaker 3: Canterbury, excuse me.
Speaker 2: Dogs need to win more.
Speaker 4: Canterbury need to win.
Speaker 2: I don't think the dogs are going to get there regardless.
Speaker 3: I'm with you, Reedy, but they need to win. If they beat the premiership favourites.
Speaker 2: I don't think they're going to. I don't think they'll get there, Dave. Sorry.
Speaker 3: I'm certainly thinking.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, Dave. You don't have to. So with that in mind, because I don't think they'll get there anyway, I think it's more important for Penrith. Got to finish top two.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Jeez, I've liked Galvin this year, fellas. You know, he's been under the microscope.
Speaker 2: Oh, you're jumping on board.
Speaker 3: I've never bagged him. I haven't bagged him either. I think he gets their player of the year.
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, he probably does. Probably a good shout.
Speaker 3: Who's in the running for the doggies player of the year? Satili Tupinua.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's missed a lot of footy, hasn't he?
Speaker 3: Anari Tuwala's had a wonderful season.
Speaker 2: Preston's missed too much footy, probably.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think Galvin gets their player of the year.
Speaker 2: Corral's missed too much footy. Yeah, probably Galvin. That's a good shout, though.
Speaker 4: Are you presenting the award?
Speaker 2: If it's to Lachlan, yeah, I'll happily do it.
Speaker 3: Love it.
Speaker 2: Great player, man.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: Look, I think this will be a tight one as well. I lean towards the champions, but only on trust.
Speaker 3: This one's massive. Absolutely massive. The Chooks are spoiling following their... I don't even know how they did it. They lost to the West Tigers. Rudy's team. Good team, mate. And the Finns. If there's a team I'm concerned about, it's the Finns. Why? About being genuine premiership contenders.
Speaker 2: Don't have the defensive fortitude.
Speaker 3: That's right. They've been towed up a couple of times this season.
Speaker 2: It's a fair shout.
Speaker 3: Do I love them as a footy team? Absolutely. Great to watch. So much strike. But I just feel I'm wondering if they have the defensive steel and also the maturity at this stage to win the comp.
Speaker 4: I agree. I agree. And that's the... They'll outgun you. They'll outpoint you if they get into a game of touch footy. But the issue for them is... They just got this... Is it a soft underbelly, would you say? Oh, it's not really. It's not a soft underbelly.
Speaker 3: No, you can go with that. I think it's experience.
Speaker 2: You can go with that.
Speaker 4: I'm not going with that. Mick, I think it's experience.
Speaker 2: That's one of those clips that'll end up shown to the players.
Speaker 4: No, I don't think it's a soft underbelly. You've got a... Mick. They've just got this.
Speaker 2: Dolphins have got a soft underbelly.
Speaker 4: They've just got this.
Speaker 3: Jelly blubbers.
Speaker 4: Ability to concede.
Speaker 3: Blubber whales.
Speaker 2: A lot of quick organs.
Speaker 4: You too, blubbering. You're right.
Speaker 2: Um.
Speaker 3: No, I think it's experience, Mick. Go through their roster and there's.
Speaker 1: Halves that are going great, but they haven't achieved pressure football success.
Speaker 3: Defensively. Yeah, yeah, defensively, yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm with Mick. I think they've got some big game players. Herbie's a big game player. Well, is Kapusi still running around, isn't he? Is he still running around?
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's still playing football, mate.
Speaker 2: Tommy Flegler's played Origin. They've got guys who play big games. I think it's the, I'm with Mick, I just think the defensive steel.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: They lack, they need to finish top four and win with one of the finals. Because they cannot win four games in a row in the finals.
Speaker 3: No way in the world.
Speaker 2: No chance.
Speaker 3: I'm with you on that.
Speaker 2: Not the way they defend. No chance. They've got to finish top. This is a huge game for them.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Because if they lose this, they're out in the door for Cronulla, right? That's right. Still spot in the top four.
Speaker 4: Got to win.
Speaker 3: No, you're spot on. Massive game. You're spot on.
Speaker 2: Thanks.
Speaker 3: The other thing with the Chooks is Tedesco. He's just so influential. And him being back, we hope, we think, just changes the entire dynamic for them.
Speaker 4: Players who love some room in the middle of the field, it's James Tedesco, right? So if the Dolphins are a little bit loose, loosey-goosey, soft in the middle.
Speaker 1: Chooks still grand finalists or premiership?
Speaker 3: Contenders?
Speaker 4: Pre-season, I said Panthers, Roosters. Does the Tigers' loss change anything? No, I can't. I can't jump off now when you said it in pre-season. So Panthers, Roosters.
Speaker 2: See, I'm willing to jump off. I think, again, I don't think, I think they need to win week one of the finals. I don't think they can make it from there.
Speaker 3: They can definitely.
Speaker 2: I'm putting a line through them.
Speaker 4: I think if they.
Speaker 2: I don't care about that. I think they need to finish top four and win week one of the finals.
Speaker 3: So at this stage, who are they playing week one? Just help me.
Speaker 2: Penrith. 2v3, yeah.
Speaker 3: Penrith. Okay, well, that's better than going to the Warriors.
Speaker 2: Yes, it is, yeah. But I wouldn't want to be.
Speaker 1: So does the team running fourth want to finish fourth and go to New Zealand at this stage?
Speaker 2: Probably not. It's a fair question, Dave.
Speaker 3: You can't doctor it, okay?
Speaker 4: You just can't play with it. Warriors, I think Warriors, Panthers, Roosters are the clear three best teams.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 4: I don't think playing against any of them would get me excited.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The Dolphins are the side. In the top four, the Dolphins are the side you'd rather play.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you know very well that there's something about, there's something different and something more challenging about going to New Zealand.
Speaker 4: It'll be a huge, if the Dolphins finish fourth, who, let's see, the latter position would suggest that they're poorer of the top four sides, that's a huge task to go to the... If I'm the Warriors, I'd love to play the Dolphins in New Zealand. That's the prime outcome for them.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: Just before we move on from the Roosters, Spencer Lanier. His future is just continually under scrutiny, whether he's there, he's not, the Eels.
Speaker 2: Sorry, Dave, very quickly. That makes this game all the more important, right? Because the Dolphins can jump to third if they win this game. Huge. If they win by... I'm just looking at the stats now. They win by 13 points. They'll go to third.
Speaker 4: Thanks, Dave.
Speaker 3: So I just want to touch on Spencer Lenu. His future's always under scrutiny. And whether he's at the Chooks or the Parra are coming for him, where are we at with him?
Speaker 4: I still get the sense he'll be at the Eels next year. I just think now that too close to the finals, they'll try and shut it down and not have anything sort of spoken about or come out before the rest of the season's done. But I still think that once his season's done, he will end up there.
Speaker 2: Mm-hmm. Yeah, I'm with Mick. I think it'll happen. I think it's just gone quiet because the finals are on the doorstep.
Speaker 3: Tammy Walker style.
Speaker 2: Yeah, basically, yeah. But yeah, I think once the season's over, some movement will take place.
Speaker 3: Who are you tipping here, Mick?
Speaker 2: You know what? I'm going to tip the Dolphins. Yeah, fins up, baby.
Speaker 3: Roosters for me. There's a big in here for the Waz on Sunday afternoon against the Knights, and it's Tamardi Martin.
Speaker 2: Oh, he's back.
Speaker 1: He's back, which is an important in given their injury crisis in.
Speaker 3: The halves that has been largely the entire season.
Speaker 1: A no-dallon with Tenny Zalesniak. I wouldn't underestimate this loss.
Speaker 3: You give him the ball, he scores.
Speaker 4: And he carries out of his own end.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's the big one.
Speaker 4: That's the big one, right? Like, he does score. You know, he's a great try-scorer, but. Mind it's the work he does at the back end of the field that they're going to miss a lot.
Speaker 3: So he broke his collarbone.
Speaker 1: He had surgery in Sydney on Monday and flew back to Auckland after surgery. He's had a plate inserted. They're hoping he'll be back for the finals week one.
Speaker 3: It's going to be a hell of a comeback from a broken collarbone. But it's a blow.
Speaker 1: Luke Laulili, the June 30 transfer deadline player, jumps onto the wing for the WAS. But the Knights are down from troops here. Phoenix Crosland out with a knee injury.
Speaker 4: Smart by them So you get some Who's suspended They've got the bye Next week Dom Young And Gags And sorry Frizz Frizzel yeah Gagai's back He missed last week Gagai's back Frizzel Yeah but smart from the Knights To get Crossland He's got They've got the bye next week So get that niece Repaired And then into Week one Have him firing For week one of the finals Phoenix Because he's such an Important player there Yeah Don't smell an upset I can't see it.
Speaker 2: Nah I can't see it Unless KP goes nuts Yeah Which could happen He's a Kiwi now, remember?
Speaker 4: He's always been a Kiwi.
Speaker 2: He's going home.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: Well, you know.
Speaker 3: He's a Kiwi now.
Speaker 2: He was committed to Australia, I mean. Now he's committed to the Kiwis.
Speaker 4: Was he really committed to Australia?
Speaker 2: Anyway.
Speaker 4: Well, he wasn't committed to Australia. But no, I think the Warriors.
Speaker 2: KP. But if KP has a monster game, they can win it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: He's that good.
Speaker 3: Bradman's playing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's a good player too.
Speaker 3: Warriors have some issues on their edges.
Speaker 4: That's that. That's. Well, we keep banging on about it. That's the one deficiency for mine is around that edge spot for the Warriors. And that's when you sit there and you break down the weakness, that's the only error I can see in their game.
Speaker 3: I'm tipping the wires. I just can't see anything different. They're back home. This is extraordinary. They may now not leave home until grand final day.
Speaker 2: Not bad, eh?
Speaker 4: It's pretty handy.
Speaker 2: It'd be hard to toss.
Speaker 3: Mount Smart or Eden Park? Where should they play finals?
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 4: We shouldn't be having this debate in August, right? We should know in the pre-season what's.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm with you on that.
Speaker 4: Because we do it every... You can't change it now, right? You should know.
Speaker 3: You know why they do it? Because they want to see what teams match up with who. And I'm coming to Cronulla on this. If the Sharks draw the Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The NRL give Cronulla some wiggle room of potentially staying at Shark Park because they know they won't get a massive crowd account.
Speaker 2: Shouldn't happen.
Speaker 4: No, no, I understand Dave's point. I know Dave's point.
Speaker 3: I'm explaining what they do.
Speaker 2: What does Shark Park hold again? Tell me how many it holds.
Speaker 4: 13 and a half now at the moment, 14.
Speaker 3: Yeah, 14.
Speaker 2: So they haven't got, that caps their support, 13 and a half thousand, does it? 14, 15. That's all the supporters they've got. They don't have any more than that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Okay. Well, then you should take it to Allianz. So those supporters can go to the game as well. It's a finals game. It's embarrassing that we play at that. And again, I said it the other day, I'm not having a go at Cronulla here because they should have funding to fix that ground up, right? The government should give them the funding to fix the ground up. But until that happens, do not play finals there.
Speaker 3: Okay, but I'm with Mick.
Speaker 2: And the Warriors shouldn't play at Mount Smart. It should be Eden Park. You're going to lock out 20,000 people.
Speaker 4: They should play the prelim at Eden Park.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: Definitely.
Speaker 2: Every final at Eden Park.
Speaker 4: The prelim should definitely be at Eden Park.
Speaker 2: Every game.
Speaker 4: I think it's a non-negotiable. Every final. We've seen that here, right? The Sharks make a prelim. They're not playing at Shark Park.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 4: No one's playing at Brookie. So we've seen big games in Sydney for prelims have been moved to either the SFS or.
Speaker 3: For the record, 50,000 people can get into Eden and 20,000.
Speaker 4: For the prelim, it has to happen. It's a non-negotiable.
Speaker 2: So Dave, you think- If Cronulla play North Queensland in a final, an elimination final at Allianz Stadium.
Speaker 4: They won't get more than 20,000.
Speaker 2: They won't get more than 13,000 people.
Speaker 3: 15 is what I consistently keep saying.
Speaker 2: 15.
Speaker 3: They may get 1,000 over.
Speaker 2: You don't think they can get 20,000 people that game?
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: That's embarrassing.
Speaker 4: Thoughts, Reedy?
Speaker 2: It's embarrassing. Where are their fans?
Speaker 4: In the Shire.
Speaker 3: It's a 25,000 seat stadium at Mount Smart. I just want to put that on there.
Speaker 2: Where are the Sharks fans, Dave? Where are they? Why aren't they driving to our house?
Speaker 3: I don't know the spread of Sharks fans, to be honest.
Speaker 4: Well, I do.
Speaker 2: Shire.
Speaker 4: What are you talking about?
Speaker 2: There's more than 20,000 people in the.
Speaker 4: Shire, isn't there? Everyone that's moved from the Shire to the Gold Coast.
Speaker 2: There's more than 20,000 people in the Shire, isn't there? I don't know the Shire. I live on the other side.
Speaker 3: Mate, I'm only going on historical records. I'm going to bring it.
Speaker 1: I'll have the crowd figures for everyone next week because we're going to be talking about it next week.
Speaker 3: I'll have them.
Speaker 1: And I'll show you the crowd figures you get at Allianz when Sharks play teams interstate. And I'll give you the Manly crowds as well because Manly.
Speaker 3: Are a very similar club.
Speaker 4: I don't mind.
Speaker 3: They're a passionate community club.
Speaker 2: It's a better stadium though, Dave.
Speaker 3: You're not going to get an argument there.
Speaker 4: I don't mind week one playing there, but prelim, no chance.
Speaker 3: No way.
Speaker 4: Week two, prelim, no chance. And the same with the Warriors. The Warriors should play their prelim at Eden Park.
Speaker 3: Well, Rudy reckons week one.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: What about you, Dave? No, not week one. You know what?
Speaker 2: Week one, I'll cut the Warriors some slack here. I can live with week one at Mount Smart. I don't think it should be, but I can live with it. Because it holds 25, Dave. That's a decent crowd. But, I mean, Mick's right. The prelim, there's no way that should be anywhere other than Eden Park. The Sharks, $ 13, 500. Give me a break.
Speaker 3: Tipping the wars? Yep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, wars.
Speaker 3: Yeah, wars.
Speaker 4: Up the wars.
Speaker 1: Love this part of the week. It's the BS messages of the week. With those soft calls, those dodgy reviews, the buy-arounds nobody wanted.
Speaker 3: It's time to call it out, Mick. Read, man. I call BS. I'm just going to come straight. I know you've got a hundred of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've got a few.
Speaker 3: What about the mailbag this week?
Speaker 2: It's overflowing. Yeah.
Speaker 3: James from Sydney. Thanks, Jimmy from Sydney. Big place, Sydney. The season is too long. We know who the best teams are. Let's just start the finals. Oh, geez.
Speaker 2: No chance, Dogs fans.
Speaker 3: Dragons.
Speaker 2: You're out.
Speaker 3: Sorry. Don't bother going on the footy. Eels, all over.
Speaker 2: I'm calling BS on that.
Speaker 3: I actually don't know who's in the finals, Jim.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's BS from him. Jim, sorry.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's BS, James. Read me.
Speaker 2: I did a bit of a shout out. Dave, I've got some questions more than I call BS's. A bit of a mixed bag. Daniel Watson Hayes. Love Daniel. He's a mad Storm fan. Great man. Always messages me. He's asked for the Storm chasing any middle forwards. Heard anything? Anything on the grapevine? Because they've lost Tui Kamikami.
Speaker 3: All I know is that they've got some work to do to keep Stefano.
Speaker 2: Well, I think those talks have sort of kicked off.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but they've got some work to do, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's integral for them. I think they are in the market for a middle forward if they can find one. I'm not sure they've got a gazillion dollars to spend because they've got to see what happens with Ali Katoa, right? They've used a bit of money on Bronson Cherry and Romano Sarko. But they're definitely in the market for a middle forward, as I understand it. Okay, Michael Johnston. How can the NRL... We just debated this, Michael. How can the NRL force the Warriors to play at Eden Park? We just talked about that.
Speaker 3: We did.
Speaker 2: Good question.
Speaker 3: How can the NRL force them? Yeah. So clearly, Michael doesn't think they should be forced.
Speaker 4: I don't think they should be forced in week one either.
Speaker 3: No. I think we all agree that.
Speaker 4: What about prelim day?
Speaker 3: You earn that home ground advantage by what you've achieved through the season.
Speaker 4: Where are you at in terms of prelim?
Speaker 3: Uh... Yeah, Eden Park.
Speaker 4: Because that would happen in Sydney. You can't play. You don't play there. No, that's right. So they take it to a bigger venue.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: However, Melbourne Storm get to play at Amy.
Speaker 2: They do.
Speaker 3: The Cowboys get to play at.
Speaker 4: They do.
Speaker 3: What's that joint called?
Speaker 4: Country Bank.
Speaker 3: Country Bank Stadium.
Speaker 2: But they're good stadiums. Great stadiums. Anyway, Socrates Miles has asked, can the bunker add, you know in soccer they've got a VAR line to tell offside? Yeah. He's asked, can the bunker out of VAR line for deciding on offside of kicks? What do you think? You know the VAR line?
Speaker 3: Yeah, no.
Speaker 2: It's not a bad idea.
Speaker 3: Does soccer have the running camera on the train running up and down the sideline?
Speaker 2: I'm not sure.
Speaker 3: Because that's the catch.
Speaker 4: You're asking the wrong person.
Speaker 3: No, ultimately, one of the.
Speaker 1: Reasons why, well, the reason why we can't call forward passes and offsides.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, we do call it offside, though.
Speaker 3: Sorry, forward passes is where I'm going.
Speaker 1: We only have a corner post camera, a corner camera, a halfway camera, and another tri-line camera.
Speaker 2: This is purely on offside, though. This isn't about forward passes.
Speaker 3: So you need a camera in line with it, like the world record line in swimming. You need a camera in line with the.
Speaker 2: No, they use, I think in soccer, they freeze the game and.
Speaker 3: Draw a line on the video. Oh, yeah, they twist the field.
Speaker 2: And, yeah, you see, like, an arm. So there's a shadow, and then there's an arm sticking out of itself. Offside. I don't think it's a bad idea from Socrates. And then the final question, or this is an interesting one. I can't read who it's from.
Speaker 4: I can't read who it's from.
Speaker 2: But they've asked, what about Wayne Bennett back to Red Hill in 2028? What do you think about that idea? He hasn't announced his extension with Souths yet.
Speaker 3: I don't not like it. Yeah. I wrote that column this week about him. Lack of Broncos DNA they've got.
Speaker 4: Just keep going back to the well.
Speaker 3: Mm-hmm.
Speaker 4: Like Queensland will.
Speaker 2: I mean, the great issue there is I'm not sure how close Wayne is to.
Speaker 3: The hierarchy up there. No, that's an issue.
Speaker 2: But I don't mind that idea.
Speaker 3: It'll always be there, right, that question?
Speaker 2: I think he's going to extend it south, so that's the issue.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: Anyway, thanks for your questions. Keep them coming next week.