Speaker 1: This podcast is being recorded and produced on gadiicol Land.
Speaker 2: We pay our respects to the traditional custodians of this country and elders past present.
Speaker 1: We extend our respect to any First Nations Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island of people joining.
Speaker 2: Us today, always was, always will be Aboriginal Land.
Speaker 1: I'm Britney Saunders, and you have made your way or you you're on clothes?
Speaker 3: Friends?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know where you are, my darlings. Look, it's been a big wig, it's been a big show. As I was saying in the main episode, I'm on do not disturb. I need a bit of a holiday.
Speaker 3: If I'm honest, I'm going on a holiday.
Speaker 1: Well actually by the time this comes out, and might even be on my holiday.
Speaker 2: Well maybe it's over. I don't know.
Speaker 1: We're pre recording a couple of episodes. I think I might already be on my holiday by the time everyone's listening to this. I'm off to Bali again after I said I would never go there again.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you did say you were never going. Why are you going over.
Speaker 3: For a wedding?
Speaker 2: Okay, that's fair enough.
Speaker 1: Family wedding. AJ and I went to Bali last year for a wedding for like his best mate's wedding, and for the first time ever, I got really sick in the stomach. I'm talking and this is a TMI, but everyone kind of loves the Pooh stories I feel I got really sick about. Luckily, we landed and then the wedding was like a day or two after so that we did the wedding, and then Aj and I, because he'd never been to Bali before, we decided to extend our trip after the wedding and go to like semon Yak and stay in all like the typical, you know, touristy spots. I was going to take Aj to see all that because he'd never been and.
Speaker 2: Really strikes me as such a Bali boy.
Speaker 3: Nah, he's been to Europee of time.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah with the one towel.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he'd never been to like Semyon Yak or Legion, any of those touristic spots. So I thought, perfect, we'll go and do all the typical things. So we got the wedding over and done with and we all parted ways with our friends and Aj and I were just staying longer, and within twenty four hours of us going to our next accommodation in Semon yak I.
Speaker 3: We were out for dinner, out.
Speaker 1: For dinner this really nice place with two of our friends who had come into Semonnyac, and we were nearing the end of our dinner. It was a really nice venue, but we were having like raw seafood and stuff. So I don't think we would have anything to do with that, because you don't get sick like straight away from eating something bad. Like I think it was something from the wedding. But I said to Aj, I feel really sick all of a sudden, like the room was spinning a bit, and I was getting real sweaty and in BALI like, the traffic's always been really bad, but I feel like after COVID times, like it's gotten super popular again, so the traffic is like gridlock.
Speaker 3: So I said to Aj, I'm really sick.
Speaker 1: I need to go, Like I didn't want to go to the bathroom in the fucking fancy restaurant, so I said to our friends, by gotta go, I'm really sick. I stormed back to our villa. Mind you, it was over two kilometer walk, like it was far enough that you would catch a taxi, but the lock of the fucking area that we were in, like you're better off walking. So I was walking back and could feel myself getting secret and secret and cigar. It was sprinkling with rain, so that was pissing me off. And AJ like wasn't sick, so he started to fall really far behind me, Like I was just on a fucking mission. I was on a fucking mission. Like no one talked to me. You know, you walk past, Everyone's like.
Speaker 3: You want to come into my shop.
Speaker 2: I was like, fuck off, Like I'm so sick, but you're just trying to get home. The taxis are gone.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then honestly, like seven minutes into my walk, because it was like a twenty minute walk, seven minutes in, our friends went past in their taxi and I was like waving but not looking. AJ is like a kilometer behind me at this point, like I lost age.
Speaker 3: That's how fast I was fucking walking.
Speaker 1: And then made it back to the hotel again and TMI got to the toilet, sat on the toilet.
Speaker 2: It's like water, I'm actually surprised you made it that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, me too, I think like I just knew I had to make it. But as I was getting to the room and like unlocking it with the key, like it was panic mode. Made it to the toilet. So this is on our first night in Semonyak. We've got like four more days after that. Then it just didn't stop from there. Yeah, it was like to the toilet every five minutes. I had to have a bucket beside me. I'd be walking to the toilet to go to the toilet, but start spewing in the bucket as I'm walking to the toilet. And it was like that for the next four days. We didn't do anything for the next four days, like holiday ruined kind of thing. People said to me, you should have got like a doctor to come to your room. You know, you can get like the doctors to come and give you a drip. Like I was just so sick, I couldn't even think of doing anything.
Speaker 2: I ordered one and then passed out, so they couldn't get into my room anyway. So they arrived and I was laying in my own in the bathroom. Oh no, how bad is it that? Like You've got to clean it up because you're not going to make someone else I know.
Speaker 1: And it's so like hot in Bali And we had one of those like outdoor bathroom things. So like I'm on the toilet sweating, the room spinning, but it's like hot, and it's that thick Bali air, and you just literally on the tiles like I would just lay on the tiles with a shirt under my head.
Speaker 2: I just laying on the tiles, completely naked, both ends coming out. It was all happening just in the shower, just sitting in the shower, going, well, there's no way. Remember I've told this story on the podcast before. Remember I went to try and go and get some power aid and I made it halfway across the lobby and chitting. I had to turn around and find a toilet. Asa. Well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so after that trip, which was a year ago, I said to Aj.
Speaker 2: Like, never going back.
Speaker 3: I'm never going to Bali again.
Speaker 1: I said the same thing, but I'll just go to Fiji or wherever, like, I just don't want to get sick. And apparently, like a few other people from the wedding also got really sick. So we think it's something that we had the wedding because we were having like cocktails and all sorts of food and whatever. But yeah, anyway, now I've got another wedding happening and I'm going.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm going without a.
Speaker 2: J Oh, that's strange.
Speaker 1: It's fair because our house is obviously getting renovated at the moment. He's got to stay home because all these major renots are happening. So he's like, you just go. It's like my family.
Speaker 2: And also, if you're gonna have a destination wedding, you cannot be upset if people don't come. Yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Well, it's like my family anyway, So like aj is not fast, and it's like my step family. That's not my step family anymore, weird family things. But there is like a billion people going, so I'm not really going to be alone anyway. I may be in Bali by the time this is out. And look, I'm excited to go on a holiday get away from work for a week. My rule wars it can only be Monday to Friday that I'm gone off work because if I'm away any longer, I'll have extreme guilt.
Speaker 2: Why Saturday? Why not Saturday Sunday?
Speaker 1: Oh, and I'm also there for that, but I only want to be away for five working days and the whole goal of the trip is to not get sick. Yeah, so wish me, like everyone, so what are you.
Speaker 2: Doing in preparation anything in particular, because my thing is I feel like when I went to Bali and got really sick, which I've been to Bali twice. The first time I got sick, and I thought it was, you know, what people call bari belly, which fun fact, is not an appropriate term to use anymore. Apparently what I saw someone right, I think it may have been Anna pool, but correct me if I'm wrong. I think she mentioned in a video she said Barlei belly because that's just as Australians what everyone calls it. But people were saying that that's now really offensive term. Balinese people don't like people using that term because it's obviously very negative. Puts a yeah blah blah blah, so we can't use it just like gastro.
Speaker 3: Honestly, like that's what it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think, like I don't. I actually don't know where it comes from. Like everyone thinks it's from the water, but realistically, I went to Bali twice and I was very careful about the water.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: The first time I was sick and I was like, oh, this is pretty bad, But the second time I was super super careful and still got really sick. And that's the time whereby.
Speaker 1: I've heard even people say it can be like from the money, like you're touching the money, then you touch your mouth, like you wipe your face or whatever. So I've done a few things to try to stop myself from getting sick. To tell you my checklist, Okay, I did this last time, but I've done it even more. I've gone and bought like a hundred hand sanitizers and I'm going to sanitize my hands fucking every ten minutes, like every time you touch something or whatever. I mean, we should do that anyway, no matter where we are. Second thing that I have seen a lot on TikTok that everyone's been saying to do, but I've got a bit of a problem with it is people said that for two weeks before your trip, you should take like probiotics and prebiotics to kind of get your stomach ready. So I went and got these gummies that are probiotic and prebiotic. I started taking them, and I took them for like the last four days. And I don't know if it was just a coincidence, but I started taking these gummies and my stomach went like swollen, like a big balloon, like really rock hard, like uncomfortable stomach and I I could not stop fighting, but not like stinky poo far like like air.
Speaker 3: But you know when you've got air like gas and.
Speaker 2: It's so, then take it. So then take a de gas as well, you've got a gas.
Speaker 1: Gas.
Speaker 2: If you've had a de gas, I recommend just taking a de gas. Just what's fabulous Tuesday afternoon. A degas It degases you, so you take it and then you just spend the whole So I originally took a de gas because I thought, so, you know, when I had my gallstones, for example, got my bladder out, So after your surgery laproscopic, so they blow you up with a whole bunch of air to get in there and move around right, and so then you get air bubbles trapped in in parts of your body. And they said you can take a d gas and I was like, okay, So I took it, thinking it was gonna get rid of the gas in my body. I didn't know how obviously, how do you think you're getting rid of the gas. You're farting it out? Oh my god, I was farting for hour as.
Speaker 1: Well that's been me with these probiotic prebiotic shit that was.
Speaker 3: Happening every day. I like, really long loud farts, like just air like.
Speaker 2: And so.
Speaker 1: So I've stopped taking them. Yeah, okay, I stopped taking them yesterday. It was the first day that I've stopped taking it. My belly doesn't feel as rock hard. And then I googled can probiotics and pre body biotics give you gas and the answer is yes, Like it's a really common symptom because you've got something different going through your systems. Anyway, I've given up on that. I'm not fucking doing that because it's not worth walking around farting all day anyway.
Speaker 3: Other things that I've.
Speaker 1: Done I purchased from Amazon a shower filter. Oh you do, like twenty bucks or whatever, and you can put them on any shower head. You take off the shower head, put the filter on, put the shit I head back on. Apparently it filters the water to make it a little bit nicer. And then another major recommendation that everyone has been saying to me, which I need to go and get at these tablets called Travelan.
Speaker 3: I'm pretty sure it's called.
Speaker 1: And essentially I love the wait, sorry, let me just get it up two seconds. So it's travelan and it's just these tablets that you take before every time you eat, So you take a multiple times a day reduces the risk of traveler's diarrhear. You need prevention, not relief, and apparently those travelan tablets are like it, like that's what's going to stop you from getting sick, and you take them every time you before you eat.
Speaker 2: Like, wait for you to give us an update when you come home and see if you.
Speaker 1: I know, it's got me thinking as well, Matt, like with how sick people get when they do travel, like anywhere overseas. I'd be scared having a destination wedding if you were the bride.
Speaker 2: I think about that all the time.
Speaker 3: What if you get sick before your wedding day. We're going like a week before the wedding.
Speaker 1: So imagine if the bride was to get sick and then you're you've got diary at your ceremony and you're sweating and you're about to shit, but you're trying to get through your wedding.
Speaker 3: Like imagine how many people's weddings have been ruined from getting.
Speaker 2: Sick every time I see someone have a destination wedding in BALI. I think, surely everyone is shitting themselves at the ceremony because it's just a known fact that, like, you're probably gonna get sick at some point.
Speaker 1: So wish me like everyone, I will give you an update when I get back. I can't wait for that dedicated. Our friend Kate has just been and come back and I message her. I was like, what did you do? Like how did you not get sick? And she said those traveler tablets were the game Changerup you go and being really strict with it every time before you eat.
Speaker 2: Did you know? I was so so scarred from when I went to Japan that I actually came back from Japan. I had some like dodgy meat at a one of the restaurants that my host family took me to, and I was actually so scarred from whatever I had eaten, which is still unidentified to this day. I don't actually know what it was, but it was so I knew as I was eating and I went, this ain't right, and I well, like it was off. I don't know, I don't know, I don't know, I just I don't know what it was. So like it could have been something random like eel or something, but it was like the host family were ordering it the restaurant for us, and we were just, you know, blah blah. So I don't know what I ate, but it's scarred. And I was so sick that night. And I'm sure I don't think I've spoken about this on the podcast, but I actually was going to include this story in my live show but it didn't make the cut. And basically, I was so sick that night. I got out of bed, which in Japan, beds are on the floor or very close to the floor, so to get out of bed and stand up is quite a lot when you're fear sick. So I've stood up, I've got sparkles in my eyes. I'm dizzy, and I start walking down the stairs to go downstairs to get a glass of water, and I slip on the stairs and bounce down the stairs. And you know how Japan they have the paper sliding doors. Boom, straight through the paper sliding doors, fell into the lounge room. My entire host family is watching anime on the TV because I had gone to bed early because I wasn't feeling well. They're all watching anime on the lounge, the dad, the two sons, and the mom. The mom was so concerned about me, wanted to take me to hospital. I'm sitting there going, how am I going to pay for your new bloody paper door love? Like I was just I was mortified, and I was like, I just feel so sick from like what we ate early. I just need like a water and she gave me a water on like a little pekari sweat is what it's called. Oh they had those in Bali. Papari sweat's good as well. I'm to keep you hydrated and not love it. And anyway, I went back up to bed and everything was all good, but it wasn't all good. I was very sick that night, and oh, I just had never felt so gross in my life. And so I actually came back from Japan and declared myself a politarian for nine years. I was a politarian for nine years. That is, a vegetarian who still eats chicken like poultry polyitarian. So you know you've got pescatarian. They're a vegetarian, but they ate fish. I was a politarian, wow, for nine years. So the only meat that I ate for nine years was chicken, and you would not catch me eating anything else ever, and h sometimes I draw the line at fast food cheeseburgers. But yeah, for the most part, it was chicken. And so my family hated me because it was almost like living with a vegan because you had to they had to cater all the meals to have chicken only because I wouldn't eat any meat. I couldn't think of a steak obviously, didn't eat fish anyway. And I loved the politarian lifestyle. And the only reason I changed it is because then I did keto. That was the time, and then you know, you had to eat so much meat on keto, and so that's why that's what broke my politarian face. And now I eat anything except fish. Nice, there's a little fun fact for you.
Speaker 3: Well there you go, everyone.
Speaker 1: Close friends.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I was just going to say best of luck in BALLEI can't wait to see how that turns out for you. And let's hope the travel lamb or whatever you call it, shout out what works out for you.
Speaker 1: Well, I'll see why I get back from Bali anyway, Matt, All.
Speaker 2: Right, sounds good. I am going on do not disturb again. See ya