Speaker 1: Course we'll talk guys Ao and Luke nee Karf and what I previously some of the big games coming up this weekend was the first day Night came. But firstly, Brian, you've got to credit the P and G team.
Speaker 2: You have to credit them the way they're gone about it. They're almost building Jerome Lewie and Brian told best friends. They bring their kids together, they live in the compound, like there almost has to be one of the prerequisites are building that list is does everyone get along? Like it has to be like there's part of it, like you've got to do a bit of background checking on do they have an issue, is there whatever, Like there would be more than just saying.
Speaker 3: This guy is a good player.
Speaker 2: And they seem to be building a group of people that have played together, like enjoy each other's company, just as the building blocks and then plugging other people in.
Speaker 3: But I like it. Like the one thing that.
Speaker 2: P and G will struggle to do is I'm I'm going to guess they're gonna have a lot of turnover players one year, two year, maximum three year deals. They're not going to sign people for long term, so they will have to continue it to turn over and be active in the market.
Speaker 1: It's both a strength and a challenge for them, you know the fact that you can bring players in people going, oh, make the sign and Blakes at this point in their career it's perfect two years then turn over the roster and in the first ten years. I don't think they'll have a problem turn over the roster with tax free dollars. I know it all comes back to that, but I like the signing because he's a big character. It'd be great to sell there. And as you said before, you can see what they're doing, you know, as far as the close living quarters, but also coops you know just very much the football and how you train everything, Like when a club starts, you know, the formative years are so important to a culture of a club. Isn't like you know, Melbourne Storm, you come out of that, you know, like Melbourne Storm started, you know, with such a strong base of Blakes with character who trained hard, and that just set you know, set the whole place along on it on.
Speaker 2: With that culture, with that character, I think they're also going to need a genuine leader and that's the person has to be signed yet. I haven't signed a half back. Haven't signed too many like big alpha type players, but that's coming and I think that'll be the key part, like who is going to be their captain, that that will set the culture compass for them.
Speaker 1: Well, I tell you what they're building. Another one I'm hearing quite a bit is either they're not buying any forwards. Where's all the artists are going to come from. Well, they've got the best two yardage backs that I've seen in the game in the last decade, probably Brian and Zach Lomax. So I mean that's just evidence of the they know exactly what they're doing and what they're building. It's just not going to be the Harlem Globe Trotters coops isaaia. It's a torn peck, it's not ruptured. They're going to try to Rehabhi getting back for Week one of the finals. If it did surprise me that when we first of all there was news come through that they thought he was gone for the entire season, then everyone just went up put a line through Penriis I didn't there to me, still the benchmark regardless.
Speaker 3: I agree with that with Isaiah.
Speaker 2: Isaiah they can without him, they can still win four to six for a peck, But the way that it happened.
Speaker 3: On no dogs. I'm not a physio, sure they are.
Speaker 2: Think they're just doing what Nathan did a couple of years ago for that Grand Final. Just put in there just in case a miracle can happen four to six for a position that he plays. For a peck, it's going to be dodgy whether it gets back to full strength. But you know what, front of stumps have a crack. He's professional. He just might be able to do it. So I think they can still win it. But they come back to the field a little bit. I'll tell you the reason why. The combination. It's like clockwork with Isaiah and Nathan. You can't replace Isaiah, but Lindsay Smith, for me, has been doing a little bit of it, and he will start as thirteen. That means Jack Couga starts on the bench. For me, Jack Cogger is the type of player that came on and replaces and does a little bit more Isaiao type stuff. But he's not the big physical one. I means Blaze to Lungy now is the six. I feel like that's going to be their rotation through the middle of Jack and Lindsay. The problem I have with that is Jack's a damn good play. We've seen him attack really well. But you'll have Jack and free Lasik defending together in the middle of the field up against the Warriors, Fish Harris, Aaron Clark, up against the far who White and Victor Radley. For the Russes, they are more vulnerable through the power game now than they were before without Isaiahoh.
Speaker 1: It's interesting with the football coup. I sort of differ a little bit. I think it'd be a mistake for Penrith if Isaiah let's say, for instance, if he's gone for the season, but he's gone for this net, let's pretend he's gone for a bit, Okay. I think it's a mistake to try to play the same way, given the fact that it's very easy to look at Isaiah's role and say, right, A, well, let's bring Lindsay in because he can do that role, and that's the temptation. But you know, the quality of Isaiah's past selection and all those things, and his vision, you know, like you just can't put that into another player. What I would like if for Penrith, what I'm looking for, I would love to see Nathan as opposed to playing on those sweep shades, playing more flat square on the event.
Speaker 3: So who's his sixth Then it's Coger.
Speaker 1: I'd been coggering, right.
Speaker 2: So you're going to play Nathan more up on the advantage line, and then Cogger's going to be the guy that's got to use his speed to get the outside.
Speaker 1: It'll be I think what we've seen that twenty minutes at that Grand Final is that one thing when Jack's there, When Jack cogg is there, Nathan can step back and become second but arna for a little while. It gives him more flexibility in his football because I just think I just don't think you can you can play the same style of football without Isaiah.
Speaker 2: I think I think differently. I think this it was always Nathan's team. This is definitely his team. Now he first receiver, here's seven, and for him to do more of the organizing early touches, take control, he's going to need someone a bit more dynamic at the back of shape. He can create shape for anyone Blaze to Lungey needs to get his defensive game on, and it could be the thing that is the point of difference. I think this is all on to lungy like for me, at his best, he is the sixth For Pederick at his best he is defensively some issues. Has he gone back and fixed that? That's up to Blaze and I think that determines whether he's in the side or not.
Speaker 1: What did you What did you think of the Bulldog's performance? I mean it was I mean that did credibly well. I mean they should have won it. All sorts won. That should have won it.
Speaker 2: The best thing about the Rooster's performance, I think if that game was played to a month so that they lose that that's the type of game.
Speaker 3: That they weren't at their best.
Speaker 2: They were sort of bit patchy with the way they played in that second half. Sam Walk was frustrated doing some things that he's more developed out of. I'm going to give daily Cherry Evans a bit of rap here because we don't see the impact he's having on the game in terms of tries and try sists. But the little bit of calm had, the little bit of game management, made a couple of good decisions with his kicks and field position. Comparatively speaking, the thing that lost the Dogs was one the decision to catch that ball that went up between Galvin and kinnor Tracy and the experience at managing the game at the back end. Like Crichton's a damn good play but some of his kicks.
Speaker 3: Weren't the right one.
Speaker 1: That's at the end of the day. That's what separated the two side exactly, is that one side had two pure playmakers and one side had Lucky Galvin who still find his way in that role and Stephen Crichton, who is the center who's been a make chief seeks and done incredibly well. But you just saw at the back end of the game how you need that playmaker there to Lockie.
Speaker 2: Did a good job score that try he combined with Preston early in the game was annoying Sam Walker a little bit. I thought Crichton missed a couple of opportunities. If you're going to play against the Roosters, you got Cherry Evans one on one Villa Army kickout, play short, yeah, yeah, play short more than you play at the back. But there is an opportunity there, I think, and you know, from a pure technical kicking point of view, he had some poor options.
Speaker 3: There's an area that he needs to improve.
Speaker 1: In that bigople well one thing I reckon Nathan, we'll see an op and will pick up is that I thought that the Roosters, the young Fords are just outstanding what they're doing at the moment, but they were caught out a couple of times as far as like Lachland going to the line and some little shapes are doing one in one out, they'll get they'll getting caught out a little confused by it. Nathan will just go it relentlessly with that sort of stuff.
Speaker 2: Like it's a number one principle as a middle forward, like don't allow halfback to go through on your inside childer or miss tackle like when Lachlan Galvin went through like he should have been sandwiched. Yeah, that's what a good defensive team would do. Ye think it was Spencer Land knew Robson turned out mister tackle. So I think the Roosters that was again they would have dropped them versus Panthers this week. Yes, Nathan's going to see that. He's going he's going to go to work for sure.
Speaker 1: Both thirty six points, Penrithy got better for and against by one hundred and forty one hundred and forty points. So I mean that's why they're ahead of at the moment. But I mean the bottom line for these two clubs, they're not going to sweat out of the minor premiership just top two.
Speaker 2: I can put you on the spot here. Penrith lose, can they win the premiership?
Speaker 3: Yes, Roosters lose. Can they win the premiership?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Oh so you think the Roosters lose to Penrith, yep? They can we still win?
Speaker 1: Yep? I do talk to me because I just don't see the Roosters as a real formula team that makes sense. Roosters for me, I look at the Roosters and I go with the Roosters can beat anyone on their day, That makes sense.
Speaker 3: But I you can say that about ten teen.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, But I think I find the Roosters that more than any other side I look at when you look at the players, the very nature of their players. You know Sammy and even do you see you at this point in his career when they take chances and they're hit and miss. Yeah, one week they could play this week against Penrith, they do a few things, it doesn't work out and they get beat. Two weeks later they do it and nail all of them.
Speaker 2: When convincingly, but they can I think they have to win, but at least at put in a show and where they play.
Speaker 3: Very very well.
Speaker 2: Like if Penrith win this by sort of eighteen, I'm going to say they're going to struggle to put your When you're back in your playing day playing against what team like the Bristoon.
Speaker 1: Broncos in your day and want to make a statement.
Speaker 3: You want to make a statement. This is a month out before final start.
Speaker 2: Your record against this team has been poor for a decade.
Speaker 3: Yeah, probably too much, but say ten games.
Speaker 2: You need to have a little bit of confidence that you can do this on prelim final. Whether you roll out of the bed on the right side or the wrong side, you still need to put your best game of four together to be.
Speaker 1: I think the really important thing here for the Roosters and it will be the Panthers as well, But these sides at this point of the year is strong showing probably as is important. It's probably more important than the results. Strong showing, but seeing, like collating information on a team that makes sense, like you know we've played I remember Newcastle we played sides at the back end of the season and whilst they beat them, we collated information on them and then got them in the more important games. I think that's I think that that's the big thing going forward for the Roosters. As far as beating these very elite sides like Penrith and so on, I think the important thing is not so much the winning, but finding them making ground up all the time.
Speaker 2: Let's say this, then, if pen win by eighteen, I'm going to say the rus are going to struggle to beat them in a big final if Pen win or the Roosters win by two or four.
Speaker 1: Rightah, I like.
Speaker 2: That because you can slightly change. I didn't do this right, so I'm going to slightly change that next time we did this.
Speaker 3: Well, we need to do it again.
Speaker 2: There's a little bit of a scoreboard that tells whether the Roosters are a chance a.
Speaker 1: Far who are white. It's a big game for him. He's playing great football, having a great season. But if you watched James Fisher Harris last week, right, and he's the big dog, is zi alpha, He's got all that experience. But he went out there and you order had to do against the Penwrith pack and straight away just got right in their face and really picked up the intimidation.
Speaker 2: It's one of the best captain's performances I've seen for a while, definitely this year what he did from a spiritual point of view with indigenous round, from a leadership point of view of his carries into liota and not taking a backward step. And then there was a call it a try saving effort late in the game where it looked.
Speaker 3: Like Penrith were coming.
Speaker 2: Shift the ball down the left hand side and just watch Fisher Harrisey in the middle of the field. He doesn't have to do this, This is not his job. This is exactly what leadership is all about. And not only just makes a tackle, absolutely makes his mark. Who knows what that play could have been, a flip pass to inside of fish hours is not there. I thought it was a player of the day and one of the great captain's knocks from them.
Speaker 1: Certainly was the big question in this game. Coop comes out of it. Let Luke Metcalfe, who went into the Wars number seven jersey first time for a long time. Will he still be wearing the seven finals week one? You don't think so, Coop, But to have look at all these touches, I absolutely think so I think there's some areas he's got a tidy up, mainly his defense. I think he's got a tidy up, but I back him. I back him to do that Coup. I like it with Chanel and Tamare for me, they both play very similar game, just with this play gives them a little bit of something different. And because the of course the Warriors are so good in yardage, can really bend the lineback. His style of football, that run first mentality works. And the other thing too is Wade Egan's doing a lot of that finesse in the middle of the field, and I just think Metcalf's running game supports supports that.
Speaker 2: He's only played a couple of games this year, that's a hell of a performance. Like this kid has been under pressure for a number of different reasons, injuries and leaving together the Dragons. It was a stellar It was class performers. The Dragons will be happy with what's happening next year. But sometimes I think we fall in love or get romantic too quickly. The Warriors have been a damn good team all year. Who've been the harves Combo, Tomati Martin, Yes, right, they have done a really good job and until they prove that they can't do the job. I think Metcalf's on the bench and he has got impacts, so why why move him from the bench position which has done most of the year.
Speaker 3: I think Tomato and Harris s Tafita deserve it.
Speaker 2: Let's give the Warriors and Webster a big rappi because when the Metcalf thing was going on, I don't know what's.
Speaker 3: Right or wrong with you, whether he wanted to get out or whatever.
Speaker 2: But they said they are in the window for a premiership. The clubs wanted him earlier and a lot of clubs would have gone, yeah, get out of here.
Speaker 3: But Webster has.
Speaker 2: Managed that kid to a point that he delivered for his team on the weekend, and he will deliver for the Warriors again in the next six weeks. He will be needed at some stage.
Speaker 1: It's interesting. Maybe he's doing Andrew Webster might be and turned out to be a good hitting Tim Kale situation. Yeah, you know that one, Cahill. I remember like to give people a bit of background in Australia versus Japan in that soccer World Cup, you know, the first one being instance, I think you might have been seventy eight and we're at the ground Kaiser slouton and they're all warming up and suddenly word comes through that Timmy Cahle had been banched and Mate, you could see how filthy he was, Like the coach was trying to talk to, being the manager he's walked off and just holding him back, holding him back, holding him back, and suddenly let him go and being Bean just totally turns the game. Seasons are hell a lot longer than what we're talking about there, but you know what I mean, he's been He's felt like in his mind that he's been on too a certain degree, that's all been bruined on him and that's led to this result. Maybe Webster's managed that, he's managed that well that the club needed him.
Speaker 2: And if someone was disgruntled, pissed off, do you really think Metcalfe is delivering that tope of performance and will he be able to do it again? I got to give Webster a huge amount of credit. I think to Marty Martin is the halfback and I think he has got that team Andrew Webster in the palm of his hand, and they are absolutely chance of winning this title.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you what if you played in the halves with the Warriors, you'd be just you'll be loving it because I mean those those forwards are just bending the lineback and they've got a nine who's creating space off that as well. I mean some of Wade Egan stuff. I mean you watch this little play here. I mean this is like a little rock play he did this. This is like like that just little that that touch on the ball. I mean, that's that's a that's a tough like it looks as simple play. That's a tough play to execute.
Speaker 2: Home again, I think this is Webster. I think this is the coaching. Like that is not a player. I've never seen the Warriors do that. That is not a play that they've just called off the top of the head. That is, hey, guys, look at this first marker. They get around this field position, they have a tendency to lean in and there's a space outside. So how about Wade, you do your thing, set up a big four run on the outside and all you need to do is separation. That's Webster knowing a little bit at Penrith, doing some video analysis and then having a crafty little number nine. That what he's doing now. Wade Egan is he always had the craft but probably overplayed the craft.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think he's got it dilled in very well.
Speaker 1: Now, when we're talking about this title, there are certain sizes who will come out of nowhere and snatch you. But at the moment, if we're talking about the big three, at the moment we're talking about Penrith, the Wars and the Roosters, what order do you have them in?
Speaker 3: Penrith Warriors Rooster, I'm the.
Speaker 1: Same, Yeah, I think, boy what mate? The Warriors. Warriors have got the Broncos this Saturday night at San Corps Stadium, so it's going to be a Warrior's home game. The seventy five percent of that crowd will be Warriors fans. They're setting for a big end of season.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: If I think key for one of the Warriors is to finish top two. Like if you can get too home finals massive, it's a big advantage because if Warriors play the Roosters tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Who are you picking?
Speaker 1: I go the Warriors Warrior is at home.
Speaker 2: For me, Roosters at Alliance now prelim final. I'm probably picking the same thing. Even if Penrith put in that situation. If Warriors are playing Penrith here in Sydney, I'm picking Penrith. They're playing the Warriors over home, I'm picking the Warriors.
Speaker 1: What I like about the Warriors coop they've been playing a finals style of football since round one.
Speaker 3: To attack the best completion rate.
Speaker 1: They play final football every week. That's their system. It's designed to win these games. Dolphins unbelievable down twenty four nil against the Broncos after twenty minute just quickly. It just shows you the quality or the worth of Billy Walters on how he unlocked Ezra but big turning point. Max Plath twenty four nail down. He comes onto the field of twenty minutes and I tear what water performance and how things change when he came on him and Kurt Dona who to a lesser extent Kurt, but this bloke was just Yeah.
Speaker 2: They've got call it a representative bench Donahue Fiji and you've got Max Platt doing his thing. Foos is on there, Gilbert is on there as well. If you talk about the consistency and the system that is the Warrior is the Dolphins have got this individual brilliance that any number of players can really impact the game. And then once one of them catches fire, like if it's a farm Worth run or a Plath run, the catch fire and get enthusiasm and follow the leads. So they are a smoky. The Dolphins a big time smoky. But I just I just concede points, like conceding twenty four noil.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's great.
Speaker 2: They chase it down, high octane, great entertainment, but the premiership teams really get down twenty four il.
Speaker 3: Well where Broncos did.
Speaker 1: We're just talking about the playing finals football since round one that that's not finals football.
Speaker 2: And the Broncos did it last year right down on the school board, but caught fire through rees and everything went like that's a bit of a lightning bulb moment what the Broncos did last year. Could the Dolphins do something similar? Maybe, but I really like some of their individuals. If they catch fire the Dolphins, they could definitely.
Speaker 3: Cause them headaches.
Speaker 1: Second second game up from that from the broken wrist man, he was good.
Speaker 2: He is the spiritual leader of everything the Dolphins do. Is the key shot caller, one of the leaders, and when he decides to make a play, he it's it. There was a try that he set up that It just sums up his absolute football intelligence.
Speaker 3: They took a run into the middle.
Speaker 2: Reese Walsh stayed out of the tackle and then Reesebolsh comes into the tackle and all of a sudden, Aaa, car Teller goes, you know what, he's in the tackle.
Speaker 3: Let's go it is. So this is Respolsh coming in.
Speaker 2: Watch the eyes of Isaiah car Toe here his spots that Reese Walsh is in there, calls Nick Arima out of the play and says the kicks on. Reesk goes the wrong side, and Nickorema calls it like that. That is heads up, eyes up reaction, the best I've seen this year. Watch his eyes call it change a play, change of play Quicklyick quick.
Speaker 3: Coming, I'm kicking it. Nickorema just falls into shape.
Speaker 1: That's intelligence in the funny coupe. And like for playmakers, as you said, making that change, that that shot, call that little change at the last moment is hard to do.
Speaker 2: So the NFL reference is what they call it, like an audible. So NFL quarterback has a play, then all of a sudden, the defense shifts a different player somewhere, and then the quarterback says okay, someone else's open change play, change of play in something that is the half back court audible NFL play right.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, as a half pack. One of the most important things, Well, it's a corner stone in football. It's communication and particularly communication when things are going on a million miles around you to have to be clear and concise to your teammates. With communication, it's and a lot of players, you know, I talk to young playmakers. I talk about the importance of that and my right thing to them. Would you go and do it? Would you do a public speaking talk for eighty minutes and not practice it, not practice what you're going to say, And no, I wouldn't. Well, you're going out and play in a regular game for eighty minutes. You've got to communicate all these calls. You go down to the park, practice your communication under pressure.
Speaker 2: And we've seen a lot of teams doing breathing exercises or regulatory breathing exercises and.
Speaker 3: What that does.
Speaker 2: So imagine if Isaiah Cartel was redlining to the point that he's just hovering too quick and he's.
Speaker 3: Going come there, move that, move that, move the.
Speaker 2: Move left, move right, he doesn't see rees Walsh, but he works at a decent level that he's going Yet I got that play here, I go, oh wow, there's respons Hey, Nikoreimac come here.
Speaker 1: We're wrongod Valentine Holmes when he first came back from New York Jets or Philadelphia Eagles, he was in New York Jets, Thanks Scotty, and it was the Jets and he came back and we interviewed him when he first got back signed with the Cowboys, and I asked him and said, how did you How difficult is to learn all the you know, the calls in the NFL And he said, well, he said, it's about that thick. He said that the playbook and you know, all these variations very similar to us. You know, where you might have a formation which is called split, then you have a split block, split more, split again. All those sort of things come off. But he said, he's so complicated. And he said he found himself in the game once. It must have been one of the preseason games and he's standing there and they said, I forget what his number might have been. Less they's twenty one, twenty one up, twenty one up. So he goes up there, yep, gets the line of scrimmage and they make a call. Omaha, he goes and his mind's gone, I've got it. Then last second they just changed the call another one and he said, you just totally lost by it.
Speaker 2: And that's that's why you've got a half back at a quarterback to take on all the thinking. And you talk about communication. One of the jobs of a halfback is to know the role of every player, so you tell them if they're in the right spot or not.
Speaker 1: At the moment. We got dogs versus bunnies this week. This is a mass game. When you calculating gone, I agree with you.
Speaker 3: Who's gone?
Speaker 1: Yep? I agree with that. Particularly the dogs like the dogs drop this one. I think they've lost touch. But Cowboys have got a dream run back. The Knights have accumulate enough points soon.
Speaker 2: It is one of those can jump in and someone's going to miss out.
Speaker 1: If you're made up tea, what if you're a South supporter? Is never a dull moment twenty twenty eight l And for all intents and purposes, Cody's on fire. It's like you make you're headed for a sixty point victory. God, they like you to win it. At the end.
Speaker 2: They are flighty, but they're good is great, they're bad as horrendous.
Speaker 1: Who do you think wins this one?
Speaker 3: Dogs?
Speaker 2: I think they've got the game style if their players can execute that will win some big games. But what they've done to get to where they are, it was just a couple of decision making and game management stuff that caught them out against him. And to be fair, kind of trace you Lachlan Galvin catch that ball. I don't see them losing that game.
Speaker 1: So curious ascilitator would South with the Ashton Wards with the hamstring, Yeah, what goes on there? I do like souths a couple of things just to finish with quick because we're running out of time. Again, well done Jackson Purdue. I thought he was really good for the Cowboys in the Seven Jersey Knights. Mate Knights just justin Holebrook stand out for Coach of the Year.
Speaker 2: Every time I think about the Knights, think about the coal mines, they just they do like Dylan Brown gone.
Speaker 1: Lucas gone, Francis Manu le la la unbelievable.
Speaker 3: Yeah, coach, I can't argue with it.
Speaker 1: Well, under the Dragons yesterday they are really really good, But what does it say about the Sharks, but they're not going down that same route they have the last there's a reason why we said, like Fitzy last week was banging the desk and we said, maybe he's just making a statement of his players. Maybe he saw what was coming.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but there was some lacking intensity like there was if there was a ball on the ground yesterday.
Speaker 3: The Dragons got through it first