Speaker 1: Hey, thanks for joining us again on the Body and Soul podcast Good Healthy Ish. I am the host of Felicity Haley and joining me in the hot seat today is our fabulous digital editor Holly Berkleman. And yes, we are dissecting the three hottest topics in the health and wellness well this week.
Speaker 2: Holly Delviish. Hello, how are you you're looking healthy ish today? Thank you very much.
Speaker 1: My Lissa's got like little waistcoat on a cute little necklace.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I'm living the body and Soul life this week. I am eating dense bean salad as we discussed the week Everywhere So good, yeah, which we talked to me exactly. And I've actually just started going to Polati's again Reformer, which I think is a great way to distract yourself from the fact that you're doing exercise because it's such a funny machine and I just just I'm fighting for my life on that thing, and I forget that I've actually done any strength training.
Speaker 2: It's great. I'm loving it. So are you? Is this something going to keep up? Or you just I think so.
Speaker 3: I'm not really in the mood for proper like weights or really running at the moment. And so I've started going back to Polarates with a friend and I am loving it. So I'm going to try and keep it up.
Speaker 1: Well as some of you might know, perhaps you know, I'm into the pilarates, get me.
Speaker 3: Okay, See I can't stand yoga. Well we're yin and yang totally.
Speaker 2: And that's why it works. Yes, I went last night.
Speaker 1: I went to Wonderlus yoga jam with with Michael Franti. Actually we had them on the podcast before and his wife Sarah, and I dragged the husband along and lovely, it was great. We had actually a really great date night.
Speaker 2: That's cute. I love. That's so healthful, it's very healthy.
Speaker 1: I felt like we need to go for a wine afterwards, but we had to get home for the babysitter.
Speaker 2: Damn it. Yeah. Anyway, what's happening this week?
Speaker 3: So my pick of the week. This is a funny story. The headline is want to network like a Silicon Valley tech bro head to the Sauna, which I love, I love. I think it's hilarious. But the days of solidifying a deal over a glass of scotch, like the Madman's style approach is apparently well and truly in the past, and this was reportedly pioneered by a Finnish entrepreneur called Hari Salomar, who wanted to introduce Finland's love of social saunas to the American startup world. And I didn't know this, but apparently there are more saunas than cars in Finland.
Speaker 2: Which is bonkers wow.
Speaker 3: Which I do know that in Scandinavia they have quite high tariffs on cars because they want to encourage like a walking culture. But Salomar said that given the rising anti alcohol movement, he wanted to test out this Finnish style of like social saunaing in San Francisco at the Salesforce Mega conference. So he rented out a sauna and decided to pitch his startup is the Sauna, and lo and behold, he ended up with a one hundred person wait list, with Silicon Valley's finest tech bros chomping at the bit to access.
Speaker 2: I mean, dare I say saunas are so hot right now?
Speaker 3: Saunas are extremely hot right now, and especially the Finnish kind, you know, like the wooden kind.
Speaker 2: Of with some finishmen.
Speaker 3: I know, totally fine, But he said that he thinks the method works because it offers employees and founders an opportunity to connect beyond this standard kind of alcohol fueled networking. And I do think somewhere like Silicon Valley, which is quite health conscious. As a generalization, I think it works. I don't know as a kind of an alternative, and I do think in that same vein it might work in somewhere like Sydney or just Australia as.
Speaker 1: More generally or getting like just in your yes, I mean for a female sitting there in your cozi.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think not his startup, it had rules that you had to be in, like you had to wear proper swimwear, so I can't like stark as.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then there are also companies that are implementing things like that, but they're having like mandatory like work swimwear that's a bit more conservative than what you'd wear to the beach to ensure there aren't like HR disasters.
Speaker 1: I love the idea, I really like the idea. I just don't know whether I could hop in there with people from work in my no swimwear.
Speaker 3: And I just don't think the power pose in the bathroom before you go HiT's quite the same when you're a New Cozi.
Speaker 2: No, but I love it.
Speaker 3: I think it's funny and I'm interested to see what happens in Australia if we'll.
Speaker 2: Pick this up to who knows.
Speaker 1: Anyway, I want to talk about, well, the science behind anxiety.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: I know these term surfaces at this time of year and does I just wanted to remind everyone that's very normal, that a lot of us feel this way. In fact, anxiety effects around twenty two percent of social drinkers according to research. I mean that's almost you know, one in four or five. If you don't know what it is, it's basically the anxiety you feel after you have a big night out and occurs as a result of the alcohol's effect on the brain. So when you drink, chemical changes take place in your brain. You wake up the next morning and feel pretty shit.
Speaker 2: You feel awful.
Speaker 3: My anxiety is getting worse as I get older as well.
Speaker 1: So is mine, and I think as I become more health conscious, it's actually becoming.
Speaker 3: Worse and disrupts my sleep, and so then I'm anxious and I haven't slapped, and that's just all and then I get guilts.
Speaker 1: Anyway, I had to bring this up because I think it's getting worse for me as well. Yeah, and I think the good news is there's some science around it, which probably made me feel a bit more seen and brought the guilt factor down a little bit. So it was an article in the Conversation that talked about, well, the science behind anxiety, and there's two key things that I want to share from it.
Speaker 2: One is that.
Speaker 1: Genes play a role, a significant role, okay, in feeling this these feelings. So research published in the journal Addiction shows your genes can explain almost half the reason why you wake up feeling hungover and why your friend might not.
Speaker 2: Interesting. Yeah, so blame your parents perhaps, Well.
Speaker 3: My dad actually doesn't drink, just purely for health reasons and has it for a very long time.
Speaker 2: So I wonder if I used to get anxiety. Yeah. Interesting.
Speaker 1: So yeah, so basically, the stronger the physical effects of how your body copes with the hangover can obviously in turn trigger anxiety during a hangover and making you more susceptible to anxiety.
Speaker 2: And also the other thing that I thought.
Speaker 1: Was interesting is if you are if you do suffer anxiety, you will fare worse. Not surprising, great, but researches people who already struggle with feelings of anxiety. Their day to day lives are especially vulnerable to anxiety.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, study my brain.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so any I just felt like this time of year, I just wanted to make you all feel heard and seen that this is a real thing and it's okay to feel this. And I also unearthed a recent story on Body and So online where we discuss the worst drinks to promote anxiety.
Speaker 2: There go, thanks for plugging that.
Speaker 1: And these are cocktails high in sugar and spirits as they spike blood sugar and blood alcohol. Now we all know the best way to prevent anxieties. Don't drink or water is your friend the next morning obviously, Movement and compassion. And I think that last tip comes from me because it's probably something that I'm trying to work on that it's okay to feel this occasionally.
Speaker 2: We have to enjoy life. That's why we leave the ish on this podcast and just be nice to yourself exactly.
Speaker 1: So I'm working on this. When I wake up feeling crap over the next couple of weeks after a.
Speaker 3: Few drinks, I love this compassion as a health goal for all of us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this spring of season.
Speaker 1: Just quickly before we go, give us a quick rundown of the most cliqued story of the week.
Speaker 3: Most clicked was the unexpected foods that help hay fever in spring, which is unsurprising to me because hay fever has been I think.
Speaker 2: Particularly this year. I've heard so many people.
Speaker 1: Oh, Holly, yes, I have been itching and like gargling, and oh it's been terrible.
Speaker 3: It feels like there's a lot in the air too. It's constantly in my eyes.
Speaker 2: Anyway.
Speaker 3: According to nutritionist Michelle Chevali, food can ease our immune response and inflammation a lot in abundance since they are rich in flavonoids, which is great to know.
Speaker 2: So one of the food so.
Speaker 3: Five to try our ginger, garlic, red and brown onions, herbal teas, and berries. And you can find out why and which food you should also avoid at bodysore dot com. Dot you. Thanks Holly, thank you, thank you, Bye.
Speaker 1: Friends listeners, thanks for tuning in again.
Speaker 2: To healthy Ish.
Speaker 1: Hope you enjoyed this Friday app And of course, if you do want to read about any of the above, I will leave a link in the show notes. Anything else, jump online, Bodyansoul dot com. Are you follow us on socials? You can dear me at Felicity Harley. Make sure you grow our print edition which is out in your local Sunday paper. And until next time you listen, stay healthy,