Speaker 1: Lads, Johnny, thank you very much, thank you very much. Well tonight it's not the night that we wanted for the Liberal Party, or for our coalition, or indeed for our country.
Speaker 2: As I saw Dutton on Saturday night giving his concession speech, I saw a gentleman.
Speaker 3: I saw grace.
Speaker 1: Earlier on I called the Prime Minister to congratulate him on his success tonight. It's an historic occasion for the Labor Party and we recognize that.
Speaker 2: And he took complete responsibility for the loss.
Speaker 1: Now, we didn't do well enough during this campaign. That much is obvious tonight, and I accept for responsibility for.
Speaker 2: That which someone in the Liberal Party described to me as a demolition to the party. I mean, what humiliation for Dutton twenty four years in Parliament and there he is the first opposition leader to lose his seat.
Speaker 4: From Schwartz Media, I'm Ruby Jones. This is seven am. The Liberal Party's sole searching has begun as it looks to select a new leader and consider its future direction. But as some in the Liberal Party call for a return to its traditional values, the question of where to now is complicated firstly by Peter Dutton having led the party further to the right and then the election itself having wiped out so much of the party's moderate wing. Today, chief political correspondent for the Saturday paper Karen Bullow on what's next for the Liberal Party. It's Tuesday, May six, So Karen, I thought we could begin by talking about Peter Dutton's speech on election night. He took to the stage after it was clear that the Liberal Party had been decimated and he had lost his own seat. One of the other things that Dutton said was that the Liberal Party will rebuild. Obviously, that is a very big task after a political wipeout like this. So tell me a bit about the questions that the party is going to be asking itself as they try and work out the way forward.
Speaker 2: You're right, it's going to be a big job, and it was a big job after the twenty two loss. You know, we saw an election review then by Jane Hume and Brian Locknane, major recommendations at that time which have largely been ignored, especially to do with women. Labor does have a super majority now of eighty seven, but the coalition have to build on what we see at the moment of like thirty eight thirty nine. But they have to sort out the leadership first, that's a big question, how are they going to go forward? And then they'll do another review about what went wrong. Hopefully they'll listen this time. In the meantime, what we're left with is anger and frustration. So many different arguments about what went wrong. But one Liberal MP told me on background that it was choosing to run without proper policy development and that was reflecting arrogance, shows that they weren't really listening to backbenches and highlights that you shouldn't let Peter Kredlin, the former chief of staff to Tony Abbott run your campaign. So that was this criticism about Coalition members pretty much only talking to the sky after dark crowd, which is pretty much an echo chamber.
Speaker 3: And I argue that we need a national Register of child sex offenders.
Speaker 5: If you were PM, would you bring that in?
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, very much soon. I think it's important. We tried to push it when we're in government. The States largely weren't interested.
Speaker 2: And not listening to the wider community and their concerns, particularly in a cost of living election, and where were these policies?
Speaker 4: Okay, And so obviously there's a lot going on behind the scenes, lots of phone calls, people doing the numbers. How long could all of this take before we have an opposition leader.
Speaker 2: Well, the first thing that the party has to do is wait. They have to wait, unfortunately, until all the seats counted and all have been declared, and that will take some days. And then all these calls are being made behind the scenes to get support. The MPs have to come together in Cambria as a party room to decide who is going to be put forward and who's going to be chosen as the next leader and deputy leader and also I would say for the position of Manager of Opposition Business. So we need a leadership team for the Liberal Party. But in the meantime, the deputy Opposition leader is the acting leader of the Liberal Party.
Speaker 4: Is there any word yet on who the front runner is?
Speaker 2: I think Angus Taylor has been talked of for a long time. He's certainly very ambitious and he is in a very prominent portfolio of shadow treasurer. But he has a lot of baggage as well.
Speaker 6: Let's start with surprise from the budget, the tax cuts, all the coalition suport.
Speaker 7: Well, can I say this is a budget for the next five weeks, not for the next five years and beyond. And what was offered was a bribe, an election bribe of seventy cents a day starting in a year's time. And frankly, this is not even going to touch the sides of the economic pain that Australian households have felt over the last two and a half years since labor's been empowered.
Speaker 2: We've also got Dan Tiern, who also did well up against Alex Dyson, the Independent candidate in Wannen to retain his seat. And we've got Susan Lee who's the deputy Opposition leader currently acting Liberal leader. She's holding the ford at the moment until they sort it out.
Speaker 5: We need more homes. State governments have failed us. Let's be honest. We're stepping right up here and we're saying we will provide the impetus to actually build these homes at local government level, and local governments around the country have got projects waiting to go. They talked to me about them all the time.
Speaker 2: They're the three people being spoken of at the moment, but no clear number one. There's also a chance for the Defense spokesperson, Andrew Hasty. He's widely seen as a potential future Liberal leader, but perhaps now is not his time. I would have to say though, that being opposition leader after such a trouncing is a poison chalice and would be very difficult for someone to carry through to the next selection. So there is a certain thought that perhaps they might give the job to the woman and Susan Lee might have to step into that role, which is quite difficult to carry through to the next selection. And hopefully we'll sort it out pretty soon because Parliament will resume as soon as the Prime Minister sorts his site out as well.
Speaker 4: And you mentioned that Angus Taylor carries a lot of baggage As the Shadow Treasurer, he probably had the highest profile during the election campaign other than Peter Dutton. So does the fact that the coalition's message on cost of living failed to cut through? Does that failure lie with Angus Taylor? And will that hinder his chances to become the leader?
Speaker 2: That is a live potential. I have to say. Some of the Coalition members that are coming out at the moment, the likes of Andrew Bragg comes to mind. He's a moderate, he has been pointing out the economic message failure during the campaign.
Speaker 6: We didn't do enough on the economy, and I don't think we did enough to capture the center of the Australian public support, and I think ultimately that's where the campaign went wrong.
Speaker 2: You would have to then take the next step forward in your mind and go, well, who's responsible for that. Well, Angus Taylor and Jane Hume came up with a number of those policies and they didn't really cut through. So now that is being pointed out by people such as Andrew Bragg, but also Holly Hughes, no friend of Angus Taylor, They've got some history. She's also pointing out the failings of Angus Taylor. So that's very much out in the media at the moment.
Speaker 8: I'm on the record publicly, so I'm not worried about saying this. I've said it before.
Speaker 3: I have.
Speaker 8: Concerns about his capability. I feel that we have zero economic policy to sell. I don't know what he's been doing for three years.
Speaker 4: And Karen under Peter Dutton, the Liberal Party has been more to the right. There's been this focus of immigration. There was of course the opposition to the Voice to Parliament, and then more recently he waded into the quote unquote culture wars, talking about Australian flags on Australia Day and welcome to country. So do you think that the Coalition is going to start to walk away from those sorts of topics, those sorts of talking points now that Dunton is out.
Speaker 2: That's very much your wait and see. They're certainly being advised to stop doing that and they should focus more on the economic message rather than matters of culture.
Speaker 9: We saw you wearing a make Australia Great Again hat at a time when Donald Trump poison to the world.
Speaker 2: We are seing the likes of the firebrand senator in an aperture Price come out and say in a statement that the Coalition should have in fact stood taller on some of these issues and shouldn't go backwards and go more to the center.
Speaker 9: Will you give a speech in which you used a Donald Trump statement to make Australia great again? So can I come back to the question are you partly responsible? Can I the Liberal Party? Let me come back to Peter Dutton's loss of his seat.
Speaker 10: Let me come back to the question. That's a whole lot of muddet just slung right there. Can I just say, in terms of wanting this country to be great. Donald Trump doesn't own those four words, right.
Speaker 2: But on the other side, the numbers of the moderates are even smaller now than they were in the last election, and they were being gutted then and certainly they're very small in number now. And so while the moderates that are left are calling for the coalition to go back to the center, and that's where the the main votes are, the main election fights usually are, they are still being dragged further to the right.
Speaker 4: After the break the infighting in Labor over its new front manche.
Speaker 3: Hi. I'm Daniel James. Seven am tells stories that need to be told. Our journalism is founded on trust and independence and now we're increasing our coverage. Every Saturday until the election, will bring you an extra episode to break down the biggest political moments of the week. If you enjoy seven am, the best way you can support us is by making a contribution at seven am podcast dot com au slash support. Thanks for listening and supporting our work.
Speaker 4: Karen Anthony Albanezi is set to renew his ministry as well. Before the election, he said that he would keep his core leadership team in play, but he wouldn't be drawn on what that would mean for other cabinet ministers, so people like Catania Plibasac for example. So let's talk a bit about their relationship and what is the heart of the tension.
Speaker 2: Well, basically, while they were friends back in the early days, for them within the Labor Party, it does come down to who backed who when Albanzi was running for the leadership and who backed Bill Shorten. Tania Plibersek backed Bill Shorten, and so therefore there is this view on Albanzi's side of the betrayal, and this has played out ever since the twenty twenty two election win. When Albanesi was giving out the portfolios, despite a great standing within the party, she was actually you know, tipped by Julia Gillard as a future Labor prime minister. He gave Plebisek the environment portfolio, very difficult for a Labor minister to champion because you have to do tough things like approve coal mines and our mental reform has been a tough gig and for whoever does get the environment portfolio going forward, it still will be a tough gig. You know, the Prime minister has had this huge election win. He has the power to do pretty much whatever he wants with whoever gets whatever portfolio. But at the same time, you know, he says he has to sort of respect the caucus, respect factions. He's an institutionalist, he loves the Labor Party and it's for him to sort out amongst the factions the left and right, and for the.
Speaker 11: States, Richard Males in defense, Penny Wong in foreign affairs, Jim Chalmers in Treasury, Don Farrell in Trade, and Katie Gallaher in finance bring a stability to the show that is really important.
Speaker 2: During the campaign he did say that the main leadership group with the likes of Jim Chalmers's treasurer, the Deputy Prime Minister's Defense Minister, Katie Gallaher as Finance Minister, those sort of leadership group members will stay the same. But it did appear that everything else was up for grabs. So would you have a wider cabinet reshuffle but leave those leaders in place that you named.
Speaker 11: We're not getting ahead of ourselves in terms of the broader issues and the caucus makeup. Of course, the caucus elect the front bench, but quite clearly the leader's team and the economic team are important we will have.
Speaker 2: This is what's being sorted out now. It's going to be fascinating to see who gets what. But he did say that Plebisik would stay as a cabinet minister.
Speaker 4: And Anthony Albanezi always said that he wanted to be a two term prime minister, that he was thinking about the next election when he won the first one, and I think because of that, his first term was quite measured. He didn't want to go beyond his first term mandate. But I think the question now that a lot of people have is that with this huge victory, is there a case for a more bold Alberisi government. Do you think we will see that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, ambition was certainly put to the Prime Minister by journalists during the camp and it was something that he addressed at the first Prime minister or press conference back at Parliament House when he got back to work.
Speaker 12: We're not getting carried away. We're in an orderly government. We're being a reform government. The thing that I reject is the idea that we haven't been ambitious. Look at our agenda on the clean energy economy, on childcare, on gender equality, on education, where we went beyond where we said we would.
Speaker 6: I didn't problem.
Speaker 2: He does have space, though I would say to be more ambitious. What he has now is a large mandate from the voters, being that he has a seat buffer so large, and a lot more possibility of getting items through the Senate, even though he has to depend on the Greens. But I do know, you know, when you talk about the two term strategy, he's a prime minister who's now confidently looking at the possibility of a third term. He's also I would have to say, he really talked about big reforms of past labor governments, and you know that we're talking there about medicare and superannuation, and he's been talking up himself about the move towards universal Chelsea's something he's going to set in and have a legacy item. But certainly this is a prime minister who has confidence, he has swagger, and he'll probably need to check himself throughout his term to not get ahead of himself like he promised he wouldn't.
Speaker 4: Well, Karen, thank you so much for your time today.
Speaker 2: Thanks very much.
Speaker 4: Also in the news today, US President Donald Trump has praised Anthony Alberzi on his election victory, telling reporters in the US the pair are very friendly, while proclaiming to have quote no idea who the other person is that run against him. The statement comes as Alberanzi confirmed in his first Prime ministerial press conference that he had a warm conversation with Trump and promise the two leaders would meet soon, and in the same Prime ministerial press conference, Albanesi confirmed his number one priority for the new government is reducing student debt. The government promised to cut student debt by twenty percent if re elected, amounting to about sixteen billion dollars of debt forgiveness applied to Hex's help debt, as well as vocational education and apprenticeship support loans. Albanzi said he expects the legislation to pass before the start of the next financial year. I'm Ruby Jones. This is seven am. See you tomorrow.