Speaker 1: The Christy Swan Show.
Speaker 2: I am a very like dedicated music nerd.
Speaker 3: You're the modern day Molly Maldren, but a woman I'm really not.
Speaker 2: I don't know that much. But what I do know se Okay, I don't think so every time I walk past the ladder, I say do the sign of the cross.
Speaker 3: And I think of that man, so do I? Okay?
Speaker 1: Pushing on, Okay, back to it.
Speaker 2: I saw something on Instagram and it blew my mind because I know Richard Marx. He had a song called Hazard which I was supposed to play a grab off for you because you won't have it or like should have known better, should have known better?
Speaker 1: Do you know what?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: I'm a prisoner to this man, Richard Marks with an X to fall in love with me? You do you know it?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Okay, classicicate this guy and like a massive superstar.
Speaker 1: He sat down with that gross.
Speaker 2: Bird Chrysier, put a shirt on, mate, did the podcast.
Speaker 3: And we get it. You've got a da bod.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we don't need to see it all the time. We trust you.
Speaker 2: Anyway, I sat down with him, did a podcast with Rick Springfield Dead anyway. He said that he did the backing vocals for Lionel Richies all night long.
Speaker 1: Oh that's me. That's so of course I had to.
Speaker 2: I had to go straight to the song and see if I could hear him.
Speaker 1: That's Lionel.
Speaker 4: Wow at marks, I just assumed Lionel had done the other bit too.
Speaker 1: So did I. I always assumed.
Speaker 2: I always assumed that the main guy did the backing vocals. Jack was up until all hours putting together this segment for you, which is going to blow your mind.
Speaker 3: Have you got more?
Speaker 1: I've got more?
Speaker 3: Okay, let's go.
Speaker 2: Okay, So you know the song by Elton John called Nakita.
Speaker 1: Sad.
Speaker 2: This was when he wasn't out of the closet yet, and we all had to believe that he was married to that Russian woman Renette.
Speaker 1: What a time, I mean, how naive will we?
Speaker 3: This makes me feel like I'm on holiday.
Speaker 1: This song it's about it like the Russian War or something. It was the Russian theme.
Speaker 3: Got it anyway?
Speaker 2: At the end, there's this soaring vocal and I always thought it was Elton John. Listen, Okay, wait, gorgeous, it's not Elton Do.
Speaker 1: You know who that is?
Speaker 3: No, tell me right now.
Speaker 1: By the next grab, it's my man. Sure my call it.
Speaker 2: Well, now I'll listen to it back and you will hear it.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, what six? I love that?
Speaker 1: Isn't it great?
Speaker 3: Okay? Give me one more, give me one more more?
Speaker 1: All right? Okay, you're gonna love this. Brittany Peace of Me sounds.
Speaker 2: Like James Magical. You know the great fit where it goes here?
Speaker 4: Do you want to?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Just keep listening, you want to peace? It is not Brittany.
Speaker 3: That sounds like Brittany.
Speaker 2: You're going to lose your mind when you find out who it is. Play the next secret.
Speaker 4: Button's Bloody Robin your.
Speaker 2: Girl Swedish superstar, Robin my queen.
Speaker 1: Listen to it back. The second one you can hear it's hers.
Speaker 3: I love this song so much. One second? Okay, you want next?
Speaker 1: You want a piece?
Speaker 2: Here it.
Speaker 1: Now, Jack, I was up until all hours.
Speaker 2: I have a full dossy air. This is going to be a regular reveal you.
Speaker 3: Like Melby on the Mass single with That, except.
Speaker 1: I actually wrote this the Crissy Swan show that to blow your mind again.
Speaker 4: Yes, we did this at this exact time last week. If you missed this last make sure you grabbed the podcast. It's where Swaney runs through surprise artists doing the backing vocals on some of our favorite songs.
Speaker 1: And now it's all I can hear.
Speaker 2: Like I was walking around the building and Nova, in case you don't know, has smooth in it as well, and we have one day Nova songs, next day Smooth songs.
Speaker 1: And I was listening to it. You know, Sheila e the glamorous lap, she.
Speaker 2: Was the Lee glamorous lap Shitney No Man's Yeah, great song.
Speaker 1: Anyway, I'm listening to it, going, that's Prince doing the backing vocals.
Speaker 3: Sure enough, you were right.
Speaker 2: I was right forever. I've tuned my ear to it. See, and you are going to love these. I mean the first one is quite obvious, right. So Justin Bieber was king of the world at one stage and he took a well, he was given an Edge Sheeran song, so Ed Sheeran wrote this, don't everybody would know that?
Speaker 3: No? Oh that sounds that shine another clash you get him.
Speaker 2: And at the time Ed said, I was so happy for him to have it because he was king of the world and I just feel like he would do a much better job than I would have.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure I agree. Edward have done it beautiful.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't agree because that song is so obviously edge she encoded, and it also doesn't really seet Justin like, I don't love that song?
Speaker 1: Oh do I love it?
Speaker 3: Justin?
Speaker 1: I love it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love most things that Justin Bieber does what they call it a believer anyway, instead of just letting it go ed Sheer and has he lent his backing vocals to it.
Speaker 1: He sings on the song as well.
Speaker 3: Because if you.
Speaker 1: Love that much, you can hear it. Yeah, I love your You can hear it really clearly.
Speaker 2: Something you should go and love your.
Speaker 1: He's the higher pitched one.
Speaker 3: Absolutely. I've never picked that.
Speaker 2: I know it's so obvious now and we must have heard that a thousand times. All right, let's do this one. Do you remember when my daughter peg loved this Havana song? I think every time I hear it it's it is Kamilao.
Speaker 1: But listen to the little pet and maybe play it from the beginning.
Speaker 5: Oh no, no, no, no, all the way it's all the way through it right, Yeah, who do you think it is?
Speaker 4: It's obviously a dude. I'm just going to take a stab in the dark. Is that you got it right, Justin Bieber.
Speaker 1: No, it is not justin Bieber.
Speaker 2: It is this guy William Yes.
Speaker 3: Indeed, gosh the album that he had when this was that was it? Girl? I think it was a great album.
Speaker 2: Remember he was like elevated to like the fashion like the head.
Speaker 3: Of fashion creative director of Louis Vatan, Louis Vuitton. Yeah, men's where I think. But he's he's a vibe. That man knows style.
Speaker 2: Oh man, he is clever, knows how to her. Hey, let's go back in time. Do you remember Martika?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Okay, well she had this massive hit.
Speaker 1: That like Siso. Yeah, right, so she was massive in the eighties.
Speaker 2: She was she originally started in like the Disney cop like, oh, she was like the first generation of them before Brittany And yeah, anyway, when I won't give away too much, but the very very beginning that sing song bit that sort of sounds like little kids singing, there is a very famous voice in there.
Speaker 1: Do you know who it is.
Speaker 3: At the started that bit there? No, I don't.
Speaker 1: It is her colleague from the old days, so delicious definition also from Disney. Did you know that?
Speaker 3: I didn't know that either.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, what's her real name.
Speaker 2: So she was with Martika, you know, as a little kid in the Mickey Mouth Club.
Speaker 4: And did Martika fade away a lot earlier than Fergie?
Speaker 3: Yes, her career, yes.
Speaker 1: I think she had like three songs and then it was lights out for epic. All right, I'm going back to the computer. Now must the Christy Swan Show. The Christy Swan Show.
Speaker 2: Let's do a bit of a deep dive into backing vocals. This is the third segment that I've put together, and I'm obsessed.
Speaker 3: People loving it.
Speaker 2: It's really fun. I've got a few surprises here for you. We're going to start by going way way back. But have you seen Top Guard?
Speaker 3: I don't think I have something.
Speaker 1: I believe this song is from it. You've lost that loving feeling.
Speaker 2: So see, people that are one hundred years old know this, and then there's sort of people that are just normal old, and.
Speaker 1: Then normal old.
Speaker 3: I love that, just normal old.
Speaker 1: You know this song, though, don't?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Go So back in the day, there were sessions singers.
Speaker 1: Now this is the sixties, right, so almost one hundred.
Speaker 2: Years ago, proper old and one of the one of the one of the most popular session singers was somebody who's become a household name but wasn't. And she sang on that song with the Righteous Brothers, who were two guys.
Speaker 5: Backing.
Speaker 3: Keep listening, that could be you.
Speaker 1: It's the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me. It is.
Speaker 4: Stop.
Speaker 1: It's the greatous sherilon takes and.
Speaker 3: It is Yeah, that's sick. She sounds a little bit more feminine there than usual, but.
Speaker 2: Also sound I thought, I've always thinking that song a thousand times, and I always thought it was a man.
Speaker 1: But it's not.
Speaker 2: When you hearing like, oh my god, of course it's her with the only voice that sounds that.
Speaker 3: I don't like that song, Like I lobviously I love Chair, but I don't like that song.
Speaker 2: Like it's a bit like, oh this one you were going to say you don't like believe. I'm like, I like people are going to say about that. All right, now you know that alas leave to somebody. Now this is a Rihanna song.
Speaker 1: She wrote it. Taylorswick wrote this song absolute Tue and eat.
Speaker 2: Right now, we know that Taylor Swick wrote this song under a pseudonym with her then boyfriend Calvin Harris. Yeah, but I did not know that that oh ooh, ooh, bit is actually my queen Savior Taylor Swift.
Speaker 3: It sounds like it's not.
Speaker 1: You can hear it now as you can. Wow, Yes, I love it.
Speaker 3: Give me one more swany right now.
Speaker 2: I was so surprised to hear that you are not fully across the amazing legendary album Erotica by Madonna.
Speaker 3: I really should have my rainbow sticker ripped off my car for these That.
Speaker 1: Is Absolut's a movie she got a jail for? That is that gay jail, just jail.
Speaker 2: Just chout anyway, This song just Oh My Love is hot as heck. But there is a very famous backing vocalist who has lent his pipes to this.
Speaker 1: That's him naked.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, she is a dirty but this song is one hundred years old. That's how early she was being naughty that. I always thought it was Madonna. It isn't it is?
Speaker 4: Oh wow, Lenny, it sounds like too soft, Lenny.
Speaker 1: I know, well, he's enjoying himself, if you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: The Chrissy Swan Show is a Nova podcast. For more great comedy shows like this, head to Novo podcast dot com. Are you