Speaker 1: Hello, I'm Tory Archbold. For two decades, I've nurtured the world's top performing retail brands and celebrities. Now I'm asking entrepreneurs, CEOs, and influencers to share their own secrets to success. They're high as their lows, the game changing moments, and how they got to where they are today. It's a podcast equivalent of opening the best Little Black Book of Contacts Ever. If this resonates with you and you're ready to step outside of your comfort zone and into your power zone, I invite you to join my exclusive community via our website for Powerful Josh Steps dot com.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Powerful Leadership, a collaboration between Powerful Steps and Fear and Greed. This is the third episode of our six part series examining leadership and becoming the leader you want to be. I'm chatting again this morning to the wonderful Toy Archbold, pe guru, publicist extraordinaire and founder of Powerful Steps. Good morning Tory, Good morning Sean. So we've spoken about your story with spoken about creating a brand and how powerful that can be. I really just want to take this third episode to look at the lessons learned, and I'm going to lead you down the path in this instance, powerful steps. Three things that you like to do when you talk about powerful steps, Coffee within your tribe, coffee outside your tribe, and then social media. Can we go through all three of them?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I absolutely love Sean the power of connection, human connection, virtual connection, connection anywhere in the world, and throughout my entire career, I've always committed to three coffee dates a week, so you're absolutely right. I have a coffee date with someone in my tribe, which would be you today this morning. The second one is someone that I wish to partner with, and the third is someone completely outside my comfort zone. And it's a ritual that I've been doing for over two decades now and it's allowed me to build a very powerful global network that I'm able to tap into to build not only my personal brand, but the brands of the people that I represent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one of those earlier episodes you were talking about Drew Barrymore and how you got involved with her, you said you had a coffee with someone a couple of years previously and they ring you out of the bloom. And there's an example of the benefit of it.
Speaker 1: It's a great example. Look whenever I was in LA I would always do two days of coffee dates towards the end of my business trips, and you know, occasionally in espresso martini. Of course, you can't be a good girl all the time. And one of those was actually a partnership coffee date with an agency that I wanted to represent brands that I was responsible for launching into the US, and unbeknownst to me, two years later, an email came through with that wonderful introduction, which I'm incredibly grateful for.
Speaker 2: Why did coffee dates work.
Speaker 1: Coffee dates work because it's a mutual exchange of energy. It's an opportunity for you, as a leader, or as a manager, or as an entrepreneur to actually share what's going on in your world, how you can help that other person, how you can possibly form a partnership. But most importantly, it gets you out of the office or out of the house, and it brings you alive, because there's something really incredible when you connect with someone else and you exchange energy in terms of like what are you doing today, Sean, what's going on with Fear and Greed, what's happening with the boys, what are you collaborating on like I'm interested in all of those things. When I go on a coffee date with someone and they might be interested in asking me questions that you know they've been wanting to know as well. That's how you not only build a relationship a partnership, but you also create memories, which is why I commit to them no matter where I am all over the world. Because it's also about the place that you do meet, right. You want to meet at a coffee shop which has got a really good vibe, or that you know that you're going to be seen and heard. I think that's really important as well. If you're in a leadership role but you're really short on time, go park yourself in a coffee shop. I mean, I love Bambini trust in Sydney's CBD. I think it's a fantastic I could park myself in there all day with Angela just looking after me and doing one coffee date after another.
Speaker 2: Tela, so many years ago, I lived in Bondi and Angela and her then partner owned the Bondi pizza factory I think it was, and late at night I'd often find myself at Angela's pizza place. Anyway, I grew up and we all grew up, and years later I went to Bambini Trust and there was Angela serving confidence. What are you doing? Like I'd missed her? She was my late night friend.
Speaker 1: She's amazing. She loves the art of conversation, which is what a coffee date's all about. And you know what, you created memories with her back then, which she would then remember when you walked into Bambini Trust.
Speaker 2: Okay, so tell me another lesson that you've written about the first twenty minutes of your day is the most important twenty minutes.
Speaker 1: It absolutely is. I believe that when you wake up, you really need to get your mindset right. If you're going to conquer the day, if you're going to make the most of the day, you need to invest in self care. So that for me, after I've done my morning walk and talk with my husband because I think that connection is important as well, is to jump in the shower and actually set myself up for success with this shower that we spoke about in the previous episode. So it's really anchoring yourself to your intent, your purpose, what do you want to get out of the day, But most importantly, giving yourself time to just sink into your intuition, trusting your gut instinct, strategize what is that day going to be like, and most importantly, at the end of the day, when you've had all these wonderful opportunities that have come your way in business or maybe personally, say thank you, be grateful. You don't need a sleeping tubel at night. You just need a happy heart.
Speaker 2: Something that you've mentioned in all three episodes we've spoken so far is the whole idea of instinct. And you are a believer in instinct, how important is it to actually follow what you think is the right way to go.
Speaker 1: It's really important, Sean. And it's that niggle in your stomach, those butterflies, that excitement of new beginnings, or you know, that fear that comes up when you know that you're going to make a wrong move, or you know that that deals not quite in a line. I'm with your values or intent. I trust it all the time. It's the way I build tourse stites. Definitely the way I started powerful steps, and I wouldn't be where I am today if I didn't trust my intuition or my gun instinct.
Speaker 2: Okay, now, many of our listeners will be individuals or small medium sized businesses. Are the rules the same for global brands as building your own brand? What can we learn off those global brands?
Speaker 1: Well, the global brands are creating customer journeys, and I say a personal brand is the journey of your life. So there are similarities. And I also believe that we are one now. We are living in a virtual world, and I think Lockdown proved that to us. We had to be visible in a virtual world. So when you talk about a global brand versus your own personal brand, we are all using BRANDSEO to create and build. It's exactly the same.
Speaker 2: I suppose it's a lot easier in a virtual world to have your own personal brand.
Speaker 1: Yes it is, but you also want it to be anchored to your truth and what you want to attract.
Speaker 2: Okay, now, something else that you've written recently is about the five pr lessons. Now, you're not you don't necessarily do a lot of public relations now, but I thought was really really interesting. So the first one stick to your values.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent. So I am a big believer that if you align and anchor your every move to your values, you are going to attract a higher vibrational outcome. So for me, I'm all about passion, integrity, and delivery. And when I align with other brands or people that are also into those three values, gosh, you can create the most extraordinary results.
Speaker 2: Number two marinate in shit rule.
Speaker 1: I love.
Speaker 2: This one is h sort of a start, I know.
Speaker 1: So oh the good old Buddhist monk in Thailand taught me this one as well, and yes he did swear. So he basically said to me, Tory, when you have a challenge, and I'm halfway through my life now as you are as well, he said, you can marinate in shit. Think about the challenge. It's shit, right. You can marinate in shit for forty five years. And he goes, but I'm guessing you don't have forty five years to waste, and I was like, no, I don't. He said, you can choose to marinate it forty five minutes, And at some point in my life I really did have a spare forty five minutes to marinate in it. Now I only marinate in forty five seconds, which means that if I have a challenge within forty five seconds, I translate it into a possibility. Because no one wants to marinate in shit.
Speaker 2: No, I'm with you. Number three, Connecting is the most powerful tool, and throughout the whole three episodes this has been a theme connection.
Speaker 1: Honestly, it makes a well go around. Without it, you and I wouldn't be here having this powerful chat and collaborating today. And I do believe that if you're stuck in your career or something in your personal life and you feel isolated, just reach out to I want to ask them for help. Lean into the power of your community, or your family, or your work, whatever that is. When you actually ignite a conversation, it allows you to think, and when you think, you can evolve, and when you evolve, you grow.
Speaker 2: Okay, Number fours make coffee dates. We've discussed that. Number five put yourself first.
Speaker 1: Love this one. I learned many years ago that a happy heart is a magnet for miracles, and to have a happy heart, you need to strip out what no longer serves you to create space for what does. And the number one bit of advice I can give anyone is when you're happy, everyone else is happy.
Speaker 2: How do you do it when you've got such a busy life.
Speaker 1: Such a tough question, Sean, because I struggled with this for such a long time. I create boundaries, and I understand the power of the word no.
Speaker 2: Right. That surprises me somewhat because I can't imagine you saying no.
Speaker 1: I say no all the time. Right. So someone might say, can I please meet you for a coffee dat in person? No, but I can meet you virtually, yeah, right. So it's creating boundaries because I don't have time to hop in my car go to a coffee shop, you know over in Woo. Well, I'm a busy woman. I've got stuff that's going on. But yeah, I can dedicate fifteen minutes of my time on Zoom to connect with you and help you. Absolutely.
Speaker 2: You've spoken earlier on about people's moments when that changed their lives. What was yours?
Speaker 1: I definitely think that live and die moment when I had septa simia because I was given a six month recovery, which in actual fact it ended up being three to four years because I got adrenaline chronic fatigue. It was definitely that game changing moment for me because I realized that I had to come back into alignment with my values, my intent, my purpose. I realized that there are a lot of takers in my life, and I realized that life is about mutual energy exchange. It's give or take. So I had to make some really really hard decisions about who I wanted in my life, who was actually going to make up my core tribe. I needed to create space to win the battle of my life really, which was freedom for my daughter and I to be able to step into our own power. And then after that it was all just about give yourself space right, get to know yourself. And once I understood myself, once I had that happy heart, I mean, this is going a bit off peace, and I attracted my soulmate, so I had a happy ending as well.
Speaker 2: What about people who come into your life and you know they take from you? How do you know the ones that are giving to you as well? How do you ensure that you're around the right people. I like the term tribe because I think of my children. You know, each of them need their own tribe. They feel safe within that. But you're really asking it's a give and take. If you're in a tribe, how do you find those people?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's really that's a really really interesting question, Sean, and I love this, so I'll give an analogy around a coffee date because I opened my diary for coffee dates and I did during lockdown at some when I was having twice did you handle COVID twenty two coffee dates a week? I loved it because I was connecting with people. I just love the conversation. I love leaning in, I love learning how I could help people, you know, and you know, going back to that point about how do you know if it's the right person or the wrong person during that time frame, a lot of people would, you know, lock in the coffee date with me virtually and they'd just be like, I want to know this, I want to know that. Gimme, gimme, gimme. And I be like, hang on, there's something that right here. And at first I was like, oh, should I give them that time? Maybe they might pull around, And then I realized I don't have the time. Actually, I will know within ninety seconds if you're a giver or a taker. And I just want people that I intermutual exchange of energy. How can I help you, Tory, and vice versa? How can I help you, Sean?
Speaker 2: I'm going to start a torri Archbold at torri Archbold, what's your next Powerful steph.
Speaker 1: I'm entering the US markets. How exciting, and I'm having lots of coffee dates to make it happen, right.
Speaker 2: Tory, thank you very much for being part of Powerful Leaderships, a collaboration between Powerful Steps and Fear and Greed. This was our third episode of out six part series. Don't forget to hit follow on your favorite podcast platform to make sure you get episode four, and of course go back and listen to one and two if you haven't done so yet. I'm sure I.
Speaker 1: Alma, thank you for being here with me today. I trust that you enjoyed listening to yet another powerful story. Sometimes we can forget just how incredible we are as women and how important it is to support each other. I'd love for you to take a moment to review the podcast and help support the show. You can also take a screenshot of this episode and share it across your social media. Be sure to tag me so that I can give you a shout out too. I'm a true believer of women supporting women, and I look forward to connecting with you again soon. Much love, Toy