Speaker 1: Appolochiate production. Grow and Glows Twelve Days of Christmas. Hello everybody, and welcome back to Grow and Glow. This is twelve days of Christmas and I have an incredible guest on with me today. Thanks for coming back, Step.
Speaker 2: Thank you for having me back. I must have done a good job. You did.
Speaker 1: We had lots of good feedback. So today we're going to be talking about a full mindset reset. Obviously we're coming to the end of twenty twenty four. It feel like it's just a nice time to kind of reflect on the last year and then transition into the new year. So I've got a couple of fire questions. We only have twenty minutes, but I've got five good questions for you that I think are really going to help all of you listening really get in the right mind frame to tackle twenty twenty five. It just started off really strong. Yes, cool, ready, all right? So what are some key signs to indicate that it's time for a mindset reset? And what should we kind of be feeling or looking for in that?
Speaker 2: Such a good question. I think the mindset reset for me was something I started to develop back during COVID Because everyone's mindsets were just shot so true.
Speaker 1: Everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the world was challenging, everything was hard. So that's when I actually developed a mindset reset protocol, which I want to share today. But common signs is that you're just not feeling good you wake up, maybe you're thinking the same thoughts you thought yesterday. Maybe you're in the same place as last year. It's a feeling of starkness. It's a feeling of not feeling happy or not feeling like low state. Yeah, a low state and nothing's really changing in your life. I think that's the key. Is you're wanting change, but everything's the same and that doesn't sit well with you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's when you're like, Okay, I need a reset. Something has to change one hundred percent. So if anyone listenings like, oh my gosh, that's so me. This year's been really hard. I'm feeling so flat, I'm feeling lost and feeling stark like I hate waking up each day. I don't want to tackle the day like they're looking forward to bedtime because I know I've been there before. What are some strategies that they can implement and start to put into their life leading into the new year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, The first thing is to have compassion for yourself. I think a lot of people's mindsets get worse when they're critical about things. True, I didn't do this, or I didn't go to the gym, I should have done this, and shoulting yourself creates shames. I think the first thing is if you want to address your mindset, is to have compassion for where you're at and say, it's okay, we had a crappy year. It's all right, we can move forward from this, accept it, and just start to identify what is it I really want to shift and change. If I woke up tomorrow when my life was amazing, if I felt happy, if I felt, you know, like I achieved what I want to achieve, what would be different? Because unless we know where we're going, it's hard to know how to get there. So we need to identify. Yes, that destination.
Speaker 1: So true, that word should It doesn't make it ever feel good.
Speaker 2: No, it's like you're pushing yourself with a stick.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you feel like you've done something wrong, like, oh, I should have done it. It's always done in that tone that is shameful.
Speaker 2: Yes, And and then it just reinforces negative patterns because you don't feel good enough, which is the second thing is start to do a thought audit when you're feeling in that low state, when you don't want to be around whatever it might be you're trying to avoid. What are you thinking? Is it I'm not good enough? Is it I should have done this? Is it I'm worthless? What is the actual thought? Because we can't change what we don't acknowledge, so true and thoughts control everything. Yeah, people think, oh, it's the actions I need to change. I just have to go to the gym, or I just have to eat more healthy. But the reason you're in the same place is because you've got the same thoughts as yesterday. You're not good enough, you're not doing enough. But unless you change those thoughts, nothing in your life will change.
Speaker 1: Language is so important. Hey, I remember having a language swap to like, oh I have to go do it. It's like, well, actually I get to go and do that. That is my choice, and I get to do this and that's going to benefit xyz. But having those language shit can really change the whole vibration of your body and therefore how you show up and what you're attracting more of Do you have any other examples. If someone says, oh, I should have gone to the gym, what's a language shift that you've got that could help?
Speaker 2: And just on that note, a lot of people will say to me, but Steph, I should have gone to the gym. But Steph, I am overway. But Steph, I do have this problem in my life. And the key question to ask yourself is is this thought effective for my goals and dreams? Right? Okay, yeah, cool, you should have gone to the gym, But is shooting yourself effective? Is that going to get you to your goal? So it's not about positive thinking, it's about effective thinking. So a simple change could be sure it would have been ideal if I had gone to the gym, but I didn't. And that's okay because it just creates a softer vibrational energy. It's not negative, and you're going to be in a better state to do it tomorrow. Because thoughts create feelings. I'll give you examples. So say you and I were going to a party and as she has a bunch of thoughts and she thinks, I'm going to have fun at the I'm going to network, I'm going to meet new people.
Speaker 1: How are you going to be feeling pretty high vibe and excited and like ready.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's go, let's go. And how's that going to affect your behavior at the party.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm going to be attracting beautiful people in, I'm going to be having amazing conversations. I'm probably going to be expanding myself and getting a lot out of my time.
Speaker 2: There, exactly, whereas I'm going to the same parties. You so the same situation. But I think, what if I don't know anyone, I'm gonna look stupid, I've got nothing to wear, I'm not interesting, I'm boring. How am I going to feel going into this party? Shit? Yeah, and then how might my behavior be different?
Speaker 1: You would hold back, You probably wouldn't even engage in conversations. You go to the bathroom, you'd hide in the corner. Maybe you'd drink some alcohol to try and like get some liquid courage up. And then you wouldn't be your authentic self, so you wouldn't get much out of the night anyway, exactly.
Speaker 2: And then what's my belief about parties That.
Speaker 1: I can't be there, I can't do it. I am boring, no one wants to talk to me. All those same things you were thinking. You're like, you're gathering evidence to confirm your insecurities and your stories. You're telling yourself exactly.
Speaker 2: So those situations, as a result of our thoughts, reinforce our beliefs. So people think parties are the problem. I've just got to not go to parties. I've got to avoid them. They try to control the situation, or they'll try to control the emotion. I'll just dream or take drugs so I feel good. What people don't realize is it's actually your thoughts about the party that you have to change. So I can say, do you know what, even though parties make me feel a bit anxious, I really want to put myself out there and who knows what the night will bring.
Speaker 1: Oh the language shift, Yes, it's like who knows. Like one of my words for next year is going to be curiosity. Yes, I just want curiosity to lead me if I'm curious. Instead of being like, oh that looks scary or you know, maybe it's not for me, it's like, well, I'm curious. I'm going to lean into that and see what happens. Because then there's no expectation. I'm not putting like, oh, this must happen or I should be doing this. It's like, I'm curious about it. Let's just see what happens. Yes, just leaves me really open minded, and that's why I want to lead with that next year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it creates space because if you're curious, you're going to be less reactive, you're going to be true less emotionally disregulated because you're coming from a place of curiosity. Which is what I encourage people to do with their thoughts is take a step back from your thoughts and say, that's an interesting thought. I'm not worthy, I'm not good enough. It's just a thought.
Speaker 1: You can think something, but it doesn't actually have to mean anything, right, It's aren't fat Yeah, yeah, thoughts aren't facts, so.
Speaker 2: It's not helpful most of the time. And all it is is your brain trying to protect you. But the beauty is you can't choose which thoughts come up, kind of like your family. But you can choose.
Speaker 1: You can example the.
Speaker 2: Time and attention, yes, you give to them or to your family members. So if anyone's listening and you're like, oh, I get so many negative thoughts, start to notice them and become curious about them and be like, that's an interesting thought. Does that serve me?
Speaker 1: Know?
Speaker 2: How can I reframe that instead?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've used this example before with body love. Sometimes I think affirmations. I do love affirmations. But if you if you are having thoughts of like I hate my body, I hate my body, you can say I love my body. I love my body, but like, if you don't actually believe it. I feel like there's this bridge of meeting in the middle of being like, Okay, I don't want to hate my body. I don't feel like I love it right now, but I accept it and I'm grateful for it. I'm grateful that I have two feet in a heartbeat. I'm grateful that I birth my children. I'm grateful that my skin's clear at the moment, you can find gratitude to meet in the middle. I feel like it's a nice stepping stone one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: And just on that note as well, with body respects, like you don't have to love it, but you can respect it and to be kind to it as well. And a lot of people say to me, but Steph, I don't believe the thought, so they might say to themselves, you know what, I am worthy. I don't believe in it. You don't have to believe in it for it to be effective. Think about this two people. One person really believes that they're going to get fit and healthy, but they stay home and eat maccas every day and don't exercise, and they say, you know what, I really believe I'm going to be fit and healthy, whereas the other person says, I don't believe I'm going to be fit and healthy, but they show up for themselves every day. I don't believe it, but I'm going to go for my walk. I don't believe it, but I'm going to hang out with my friends and socialize. Who's going to get the better result? Yeah, the person who believes or the person who acts despite their thoughts and feelings and how they believe in themselves is.
Speaker 1: A really good example.
Speaker 2: Yes, you don't have to believe it. You just have to take a step in the direction you want to go, despite how you feel, which is going to feel uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: Gosh. Yeah, it's so important I think to also be constantly trying to bring yourself back into center and be regulated. Because I like how you said, just when that thought comes out, just take a step back. You just take ten breaths and just be like, Okay, that thought's there. Hi, thank you? Hello, Yeah, it's really interesting where's that come from? And get really curious and start to investigate it. And I know, for me, even like growing up, my story was I'm so dumb and the once I actually took a step back and was like, where did it actually come from? My stepdad? Yes? Is that the actual truth? Like? Am I dumb? No? I didn't even try half the time because I let that story be my truth, but it's not actually the truth. Once I unpacked it, I was like, whoa, Just because someone says something or you think something, it does not have to be the truth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's not effective. Yeah, right, And we got to break that down. When people say I feel like a failure or I'm dumb, what does dumb even mean to? Yeah, what does it mean? What does a failure look like? If you were a failed mum? What is a failed mum? That's so true and break down what that definition is. And you're like, well, if someone was done, they probably wouldn't be capable of doing all the things that you do. So is that really fitting? Probably not? Is it effective? Probably not?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 2: So what you said with thoughts is taking a step back and thinking about your thoughts as a hurricane or a storm. You've got two choices. You can be in the storm and be in that thought like I'm dumb, I'm dumb, I'm done, or look at that thought from the distance and say I'm having the thought that I'm dumb. I'm having the thought that if you insert that, that creates this metaphorical distance. It makes you observe it so you can control it, so you're not in the eye of the thoughts of the storm.
Speaker 1: That's really cool. I love that example. Thank you for that. And then as we're going into twenty twenty five, how important do you think reflection is? I know when I before I set my goals, I go back and look at the ones I set previously, and you know whether they came true or not. I'll just reflect on I'd be like, that's working, that's not working. That feels really good, it doesn't feel really good. I like, how did that? But I think I want to like shimmitt a little bit over this way. I like to reflect on everything. How important do you think reflection is?
Speaker 2: Reflection is extremely important because if we don't know where we're going how we're going to get there. But also many people are so focused me included, on going forward and achieving these huge, big goals and milestones, and it can be demotivating because you think you're so far and we compare ourself to others, But reflecting back allows you to compare yourself to yourself, like, yes, you might not financially be or you want to be, but where were you a year ago? Yeah you know, yes, maybe health wise you're not where you want to be, But where were you six months a year ago? So reflecting allows you to compare with yourself and actually see your progress. Because we're so focused on moving forward or comparing ourself to unrealistic standards.
Speaker 1: Or people, sometimes we don't even take time to celebrate the small wins. So even if you had a goal for X amount of dollars and you quite reach that, but you're still maybe halfway there, that's still worth celebrating and being proud of.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think reflection's so important in your experience. What role does goal setting play and creating a successful mindset reset? And how can we all set actual goals the line with our true desires? In twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: Okay. I think the first thing is discovering what don't you want? Yeah.
Speaker 1: That's a good point, isn't it, Because a.
Speaker 2: Lot of people are like, yeah, but I don't know what I want. I don't know what my goal is, and I was saying, what don't you want? Yeah, And that can be something really useful to start from. It is figuring out, Okay, what don't I want to happen? But also with goal setting, identifying what you do want and just say, you know what, in the biggest, wildest dreams, what is possible for me? And just by asking yourself the question, you're opening your brain to possibilities. Because everyone's focused on oh, I don't want this to happen. I don't want that to happen. And it doesn't put you in a good state to dream and all of that. So just be in a really good state when your goal setting. I'm really big on this, like go to the beach or sit grounded, feel good and just let your mind run wild. And your biggest world is dreams. Write down almost I think I listen to you say this once fifty or one hundred goals, whatever it is, because it forces you to can't not stop even if they feel unrealistic. I do it every year now, write down, like whether it's yeah, fifty or a hundred of just things that I want to achieve or.
Speaker 1: That I'm wanting to feel. And sometimes that i'm writing, I'm like, oh, this feels like a stretch. But put it on there, like I want that in the forefront of my mind. I want that for myself, whether it's next year or in two years, Like put it on paper, getting that energy.
Speaker 2: And the brain doesn't know the difference between what's real and what's imagined. So people imagine the worst case scenario. I'm going to be late, I'm going to get rejected, he's not going to text me back. But if you can start to imagine the best case scenario, you're already creating that blueprint in your brain and the brain will start to make it happen. So really start to Yes, write down your goals. That's important. But you have to get in the state as if you have achieved it. So really encourage some visualization. Imagine that you've achieved that goal. How do you feel, what's it like? You know a lot of people like Joe Despenzer, Tony Robbins really emphasize that it's so important to feel the emotion of achieving the goal before we actually do it, to show our brand it's possible.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's cool. I've even seen someone say to write like a future letter of yourself, as if you're already achieved all of that, Like wow, Ashy, you're in your beautiful home, like your kids are so healthy, you've got two million down loads, Like how do you feel like congratulations? Like actually put it as if it's already happened, and you get in that feeling of like, oh my gosh, this woud feel amazing, like I want this. It really brings a lot of drive and fire in my belly. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And if you're listening to this after this episode, I world encourage people to get a bed in paper. It's one year from now, and you say, I'm so excited that after listening to that episode of and Steah, this happened. This has happened. This has happened. So imagine we're a year into the future and someone's writing this letter to us. Write it down and tell us what happened after you listen to this episode. So good.
Speaker 1: There's something else they can do, though, And I'd love for you to talk about it is you've got an actual thirty day like reset challenge. Can you tell us a little bit more about it.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm really passionate about helping people realize the potential to change their mind So I created a thirty day mindset Reset Challenge. It's online. Actually created it during COVID because everyone needed a mindset shift, And it's online and I've got it free for your members. They just use the code actually one hundred amazing and this thirty day Mindset Reset Challenge, it's online in your own time. You do one module a week. There's a little bit of homework, and it's honestly such a great tool to just give you those reminders because it's so easy to slip back into old patterns, and it will teach you how to identify your thoughts, how to reframe them, how to change them, how to regulate your emotions. And I think everyone could do this. I mean I do it regularly. Yeah, you have to, because it's every day we need to make those micro shifts in our brain and our mindset, and it's a good reminder of that. So if you need a mindset reset, if you're listening to this click the link, and I'd love to have you on board.
Speaker 1: It's so good. Would you recommend them starting say in December, right now when they're listening to this, or wait till late January? First? When would you right now?
Speaker 2: Just start now? Day?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Way, you know, if you want to change something, start now.
Speaker 1: Yeah. If nothing changes, nothing changes. It's one of my favorite sayings.
Speaker 2: Hey, it's so simple but true.
Speaker 1: Isn't it. I feel like so many of us like want the world to change, want the world to be kind, or want the world to like do this. It's like it actually starts with you. If you want all of that, Like, you have to be that first.
Speaker 2: And you have to change up here. Yes, it's not about just waking up earlier. It's not about the things you do. It's how you speak to yourself. So, if you want to be someone who loves and respects their body, how would you speak to yourself?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And that's how it starts, because those thoughts put you in a good state, and that good state drives good behavior.
Speaker 1: One of my favorite sayings, too, is like, treat yourself how you would treat your best friend or your daughter, or your sister or your mum. If they're on a weight loss journey, if they're trying to achieve their goals. You are so encouraging and you're so compassion you're so like, yes, you've got this. But then to yourself you're like, oh, you're a fat, lazy cow. Yes, so you would never say that to your sister or best friend. So why would you do that to yourself?
Speaker 2: Exactly? And it's not helpful.
Speaker 1: No, double yeah, exactly panful.
Speaker 2: So yes, Thatt to audit your thoughts, it's not helpful. Check it out.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for joining us. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Please chat.
Speaker 1: I'm sure you'll be back one day soon.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much.
Speaker 1: Thanks guys. I will leave all the details in the show notes below access to the thirty day Reset challenge the code Ashly one hundred yesack kids. It to you guys for free, which is amazing. Thank you so much for that, and I'll leave all your Instagram and everything there as well.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Marry Chris, Merry Christmas. Bye guys, Bye,