Speaker 1: Michelle Payne, Welcome to straight Talk.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: You're most welcome.
Speaker 3: Actually, that's a real honor privilege to have someone like you sitting here in front of me. To be frank with you, I never thought. I never expected.
Speaker 1: Famous is not a good word. I don't like that word famous.
Speaker 3: But have someone as highly respected as you and having achieved the levels you've achieved, and you know, I don't mean this in a condescending way, but being female as well in a male sport, which you know, that's something that I never envisaged. And and thanks to our great friend Naneah Melton. I'm so happy that you're here. And bear with me because I mean everyone in Australia follows Melbourne Cup. Everyone Australia has a bit of a bet. But I don't know much about your game or the game you used to be in now you're a trainer. We just bear with me a little bit because maybe this is even better that I don't know, because I'm going to ask some questions you might think a bit naive, but the things I'm really curious about, and before, but before I do that part, there's something else I'm really curious about.
Speaker 1: What it's like.
Speaker 3: And I watched the Netflix show on you you know, and you know, I saw all that sort of stuff, But I'm so glad I actually got you here in front of me. What is it like to be the youngest of ten kids? I mean, that's like mental I just can't imagine. I just can't imagine what it'd be like, especially as well not having your mom there. From from you probably never would never really knew it. I will never had a chance of knowing you. What's that like when you reflect back.
Speaker 2: Well, it's funny you say that. Like, as I'm older now, I realized how unusual that is to have such a big family. But obviously I didn't know any different growing up, so it was it was all we knew. It was a madhouse. My dad did his best, raising all ten of us on his own. When Mom passed away, I didn't have a room for the first seven years of my life, didn't have a bed, so I just found somewhere to sleep. And then after that I shared with Stevie, my the second youngest, older brother, who has Down syndrome, and that in itself, you know, had it challenges because he would snore and talk to himself and whatever. But yeah, it was. It was fast paced kids everywhere. When I was born, my oldest sister, two older sisters were already riding in races, so they were fifteen and sixteen, so they were off to the races. So as I grew a lot of the other kids below them started racing. So we had a house full of jockeys. And my dad was a horse trainer, so up early training the horses with him. Us younger kids stayed in the house and cleaned it. We all had our chores while the older ones went out and did the stable work and got the horses done. So it was just a working family. My dad loved it. He said it was some of the best years of his life, even though he had obviously lost my mum, which was devastating. That a really good marriage and loving marriage. But yeah, it was. It was pretty fun, I have to say.
Speaker 1: It was fun. Always fun.
Speaker 2: Not always fun. You know, when we went to school and we were tired, falling asleep at school because we're up early doing our jobs, and thought we were a little bit hard done by that. We had to work in our school friends, you know, were having a sleep in and just had to get ready and off to school. But when we look back, we had so much fun. We were always you know, outside playing games and activities, and I think sometimes we look back and think we survived because obviously hard for dad to keep track of ten kids. He just had to let us go. Stevie and I were the youngest two, and he was, you know, older than me but down syndrome. So you know, we were off doing whatever we did out on the farm and having the time of our lives. But you know, looking back, you know it was probably a bit dangerous in a way, but at the same time a wonderful childhood.
Speaker 3: It's because not only were you one of ten, which is, like, as I not normal even back in that time, when if we go back twenty thirty years, that wasn't normal there neither. But then of course, no mother, your dad. I mean I got four kids, four sons, and I pretty much raised my four sons on mine. They live with me for a whole lot of complicated reasons, and that was enough for me. But I had, you know, a nanny and a driver pick him up from school to drop him to sport. Has someone to come and do all the washing and sort of all I did was go to work and have dinner with them at night. Your dad, do you sit back and reflect on how the hell did you do it?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? Obviously the older you get, you realize. And he's a pretty amazing man in his own way. Like I said, to even be relaxed enough to let us go out and play here, he had to. I think he couldn't have survived if he was worrying about every one child. In a way, a bit of luck went our away with that, because you know, somebody could have got injured, sort of having that free rain on the farm, Like we had motorbikes and like four wheelers. There was a channel that ran beside our dairy farm, which we had at one point growing up, and yeah, you know, we didn't even know how to swim, but we learned to swim in the channel by ourselves. So a little bit of luck come his way as well. But yeah, when I look back and think what he did, you know, running the family, running the business, obviously having the dairy farm, which is relentless work, you know, morning and night. Not only with that, though, he raised us by giving us competitions, geography, competitions, spelling, these maths, competitions. He was never too tired to do that with us, and I just think that is amazing raising ten kids, running a business and being able to do that as well. I honestly take my hat off to him. And with that as well, he always made sure we had really good manners. You know, if you meet somebody, shake the hand with them in the eye, give them a good, firm handshake. He was never too tired to do that. And he is a remarkable man.
Speaker 3: What was his superpower when you think about it, he must have some sort of superpower, Like I mean, that's something like it looks like sound by the sound of it, and obviously from what I saw from the show, and I've heard nothing other than what I saw on the show, it's like he just jumped.
Speaker 1: Off the cross like he's so good. Well, what was his natural superpower?
Speaker 3: Was his endurance or was it his his ability to communicate? Or was it his ability to like a certain resilience or stamina that he had.
Speaker 2: I think probably a certain resilience and his capability to just handle hard times. Like obviously I used to think about when I was growing up and I was having tough times writing, had a bad fall or my writing career wasn't going as good as I'd like it to be, or just just down in the dumps. And I would think back to that day when they came to the door and said my mum had been killed taking the kids to school in a car accident, and just think, how would anybody get through that, and how he did. Would have just said to the kids, you know, we've got to stick together and get through it together. And that's his mindset. I've lost two sisters since then, and same thing. Devastating, and he's absolutely devastated, but he just stays so strong. And I think a big part of that is his faith. He is very religious, rare Catholic. We would always go to church every Sunday growing up, all the kids, and you know, we'd be sitting around watching TV or having dinner and he'd say, okay, kids, we'll say the Rosary, and we'd stop and say the Rosary three times all together, and he'd just always talk about, you know, his faith, and I think that is what got him through losing my mum and then again my two sisters that followed, and I think it's it's definitely helped me through my career as well, because you know, life is tough and having that faith is certainly a way of coping. For sure.
Speaker 3: With your older siblings, particularly the female ones, are they much more matriarchal to say the younger kids.
Speaker 1: As a result of your moum not being there. Do you think do they think they took.
Speaker 3: Up the flag for your dad realizing there was no leading woman in the family, so to speak, and that they knew that they had to do the work of what their mother would have had to do if the mother had been around.
Speaker 2: Definitely, they were remarkable, I think, having had the presence of her as they were growing up, and from what I've been told by Dad, she was an amazing lady. She had ten children, she ran the books of the business, She cooked and cleaned. Amazing cook They said she was Swiss and she cooked a lot of Swiss meals. And we had a cow. She'd milk the cow for the kids, and then she take the leftover milk into the homeless shelter in Ballarat. That just you know, and I don't know what spare time, you know, obviously it had a million clothes to watch with ten kids, So she sounded like a pretty amazing woman and I think, you know, my sister's had that role model growing up. And when I remember being sort of four as young as I can remember, sort of four or five, and my dad always used to talk about her. I think he wanted me to feel that presence of her and used to tell me every day, you know, how much he loved her, and how much she missed her, and how much she wished he told her more that he loved her. And then I think, yeah, my sisters saw the need to be nurturing to us younger kids, and especially probably the second oldest Trees, she really took the role of being the mother. She made sure we always had a meal on the table. She was full time race riding at the time, herself only a kid at the same time, and just remarkable. And I remember sort of being in younger primary school years and Mother's Day at school, I'd buy her a Mother's Day gift. I didn't feel like I didn't have a mom to buy a gift for. It was just I'd buy one for Trees. So, you know, I feel so lucky to have had their presence in our lives because their mothers now and get to watch that, and yeah, just remarkable. To think how they took that role on it at such a young age.
Speaker 3: Do those things in turn and have those things in turn, like your dad's resilience and these sort of mental toughness and your sister's ability to nurture the whole family? Do those Do you think those things stood by? Because you know, often parents tell kids, you've got to be this, and you can't do that, and.
Speaker 1: You've got to do that.
Speaker 3: But actually kids watch what their parents are doing, and or older brothers sisters for that matter too, and they tend to do what they see as opposed to what they're here. And do you reckon in some of those darker times that you've had, like when you've been injured, et cetera, when you're being rejected, or when you're trying to get on a group one that those observations stood by And was it conscious? Did you consciously think of that? My dad's done pretty tough. I owe it to him up here.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. I think I couldn't remember from as young as seven years old being out in the stables cleaning, you know, doing learning the chores and cleaning the boxes and just watching trees for example. Of all of them, she stood out to me the most because she was so no fuss. She'd get in there, she'd get the boxes done so quickly and efficiently. And I remember at that age, look, you know, thinking that is just amazing.
Speaker 1: He was cleaning the crab out basically, yeah, but quick.
Speaker 2: No fuss, just get in there, get it done. And I honestly remember thinking at the time, you know, how good. And that was my role model. So I always thank you her for a lot of my success and my other brothers and sisters, because especially my sisters, because you know, it was tough. It was much tougher for them riding back sort of ten years before I started, or even fifteen years before I started, because there wasn't many of them. Sometimes I didn't have a jockey's room to go into that there was like a trailer or something for them to change and prepare for their race. But they were just no fuss. They get out there, they go to the races. They didn't see themselves, you know, as a female jockey, and not poor me. Sometimes I get a bit frustrated because my brother Patrick would pinch their rights and they'd be a fair bit of swearing and carrying on at home. But you know, I think their presence and you know, watching and learning from them was just the best start I could have had to going into a career that is, you know, or was very very male dominated.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't mean to be condescending when I look back at when I look at what I know of your history and your life, it's just full of challenges, but more importantly full of conquering challenges, like just one half the other. So mom passed away when you're a young baby, not just pastway tragic accident, you're one of ten kids, that itself is a challenge. Then you've got you know, you observe your father dealing with that challenge, and that itself would have been a challenge because you probably feel guilty on occasions that had to do things that you know wouldn't ordinarily be wouldn't be asked of a father. While some might think is a challenge you had, Stevie, probably not a challenge because my.
Speaker 1: Interaction with.
Speaker 3: Boys and or girls or got men who have had who have had who have Down syndrome, they just tend to be some of the most loving, simple people get life really simple.
Speaker 1: They get it.
Speaker 3: They're generally speaking, they are the best to deal with. I have a great empathy for those children and adults in that situation, but some would see that as another challenge.
Speaker 1: But somehow you managed to conquer it.
Speaker 3: Out of all your brothers and sisters, it seems like you've got the closest relationship. Do you think that's because you were closest in age or just you two just hit it off.
Speaker 2: Definitely because we were close in age with little kids. Wasn't even Stevie Michelle. It's just like, has anyone seen the little kids? If one was somewhere, the other little girl's there, Yeah, little girl. So we just were together all the time, basically more so because the kids that were a bit older than us said, oh you sare any and go you know we did. We were too little to play their games with them, so it was just Stevie and I and obviously I didn't know the difference, so it was nothing for me. And to be honest, like you spoke about with down syndrome, so're the most beautiful, loving people in the world. And how lucky was I to grow up with Stevie and the empathy and everything he has. For example, this is what happens in a big family and where dad let us go a bit. Our brother bought us boxing goals for Christmas because we thought it would be funny if he put it up them on us to fight. Yep. I was five, Stevie was seven. And then they made a ring with all the kids because it was enough to make it a big enough ring for us, and had us fighting. And Steve didn't want to hit me because he just didn't want to, like it's not in his nature. And I get Steve getto and I'm like running around trying to poke one into him, and he got me connected and I started crying. Obviously he hurt me, and he felt that bad. I remember looking up at his face and he just devastated that he got me. Yeah, just an amazing person to share my life and grow up with. And you know, we've played you know, games together and we just had the best fun. And sometimes we'd be playing a game of cards and I might give him one card to start with and I'd have the pack because I knew that I was able to learn faster, but he caught up eventually. Now we play one on one fair even game and he's just remarkable and what I've been able to watch him face his challenges and grow and overcome things is just unbelievable, and even now like he's forty forty two and just continues to grow, get smarter. He's hilarious, He's so funny, quick witted, knows you know the right moments to say things. He can read people a lot better than a lot of people without a challenge have. So honestly, we're just so lucky to have him in our lives, especially me being so close with him. We own our farms together now, and he's just a pleasure and a privilege to be around and to have.
Speaker 3: And I hope you don't mind me just ask a couple of questions, because I'm actually fascinated by Stevie, And you know, like Stevie, you fascinating me. And you're right. I mean, I only know him from from the movie. I don't know him. But do you think that I know, I don't want to get too weird about God and stuff like that and your mom and your late mother, but do you think that to some extent, those people like Stevie who have such a good heart and have are so inspirational. I actually put there for a reason for you to think to yourself, get on with it and what you learn from those people if someone like Stevie, Like it seems to me that someone like Stevie can teach us all a lot of stuff, is it? Do you ever thank your mother for that outcome?
Speaker 2: I just think, like we say many times, he's a blessing and honestly, like in a way, a miracle to have in our lives. He's now home with Dad. Dad's eighty nine. I had a family, a house full of ten kids. Imagine, you know, being left alone and lonely. He has Stevie there living with him. They get on unbelievably well. Dad teases Stevie like you wouldn't believe. I know he's down syndrome, but we've never treated him like he's down syndrome. And I think that's that's really been the making of him and something I think that should be maybe more documented, because he's so capable and can handle so much responsibility because he's been given that chance in life. And they, yeah, they just have the best time. So for how the circumstances have unfolded with Mom pass away and Dad obviously being left all the kids have left home to now have him there with him is unbelievable and again like to have him there on the day of the Melbourne Cup strapping Prince of hens Ouce. You know, to imagine that could have ever possibly happened, you would give yourself tim into one chance growing up or even more than that. So it is in a way a bit of a blessing.
Speaker 1: And a miracle and fairy tale.
Speaker 2: Yeah it is. It's a fairy tale.
Speaker 3: I mean when I think of your dad at eighty nine, and my father got to eighty nine, and you know that eighty nine, they're a little frail and you know, you know there's a lot that needs to be done for them.
Speaker 1: They need a lot of assistance at that stage. And also they feel a bit.
Speaker 3: Mentally frail because you know it's getting on and you know they're not as strong as they were before. And for the fact that someone like Stevie can be there as his companion, so to call, is he still doing strapping? Like?
Speaker 1: Is he still strapping horses? Stevie?
Speaker 2: He hasn't in the last few years. He needs a knee operation, so he's not at the moment. He's still can, but he's just a bit slower. But even that in itself is amazing because the horses sense it and they just slowed down for him. And it's funny story. I think it was last year him and I took one of our horses to the races at Renney Valley and I laid it in with him, thinking, I'll just see if it's going to be too strong, because earlier in the day it was charging around and I was struggling to keep up, and I thought it might be a bit quick for him, and took it into the mounting under said if you need a hand, I'll just be in the middle watching it, and he's like you a rose. The horse was like twenty thirty meters behind the one in front of it slowed down that much just so Stevie could comfortably keep up with it and just sense that, you know, his you know, challenges. And one of the most amazing things about working with you know, the horses, the horses, how intuitive they are and how amazing you know his connection with them is can.
Speaker 3: I explore that because I don't know, I've never had experience. I have a bit of experience. It's in Turnial Park when I was younger, like going to the stables there and getting somebody to give us a horse and take us a tour around ten year old park, et cetera.
Speaker 1: But horses are.
Speaker 3: Like an amazing looking animal, unbelievably athletic. They're big, muscular. On one hand, they're really you know, you have a great amount of respect for them. But on the other they can be a bit scary too because they're so big, and you know, you're by no means a titan in terms of size. You're a jockey former jockey, and they're the opposite. They are titans in the animal kingdom, and they can do everything in an athletic sense. How is it that you seemed about it and someone like stupid too, and probably your brothers and sisters. I don't know much about them, but have the ability to sort of have command in relation to horses. About is it the fact that you have great knowledge of how they think and operate, or you have an empathy towards them, whether they have an empathy towards you.
Speaker 1: What does that old like? I don't understand it.
Speaker 2: I think it's a whole range of things. Really, we were brought up with them, so second nature to be around them, even though they are huge animals. As you said, But we were taught from a young age that they need to respect you. So there's that level of respect and then trust, they need to trust you as well.
Speaker 3: And actually, when you said you were taught from a young age that they need to respect you, which no doubt is what your dad told you. What does that mean they need to respect you? Like, is that an advice on as to how to approach the.
Speaker 2: Horse, how to handle them? Like if they just think they can pull you around, they'll just do that, like not not because they're bad animals, it's just because they that's you know, you just need to firm that form, that connection that they're not going to be able to get away with doing whatever they want to want to do. And even you know, from a five year old, no matter how big they were, they still respect if you show them that you're you know, strong enough and you'll stand up to them. But they'll sense fear in a second that they're unbelievably intuitive, Like obviously dogs are incredibly intuitive, but every much, every every bit as much that as them. So it's all about that they they and then once you've got that, it's about mutual respect and then they trust you and once you have their trust. It's the most amazing feeling in the world, Like you could ride a horse on a piece of cotton when when it, you know, responds to you. And that feeling is one of the best things about, you know, being a jockey, because you need everything to be going your way in a race. It's it's a game of inches. It's dangerous and pardon parcel of that is having a horse that will do what you want to do at you know, split second decisions and stuff like that. So it makes it a great sport in a way. In that way because you're working with an animal and not just any animal, you know, six hundred kilo beast And that's part of what I love so much about writing, because it's not easy and you have to work hard at it and one of the most beautiful things about working with the animals that we do.
Speaker 3: Do you know, we've just gone through maybe five factors or so, you know, at the risk of repeating myself, mother passed away at the age of six months, the youngest of teen kids. An unbelievable relationship with your down syndrome older brother too's older. Becoming a jockey, small, smallish person dealing with a massive beast. Every thing I've asked you about, most people would see as a challenge, some would feel feeling and there's a number of other challenges we're going to talk about a moment. Some people would feel as on some occasionally the victim. But for some reason, every one of them, you've turned into a good thing, like it's some sort of blessing. Like everyone, where the hell do you get that sort of mindset from? That's a mindset game? You're born that way? Or would you develop that way? Or did your dad drum it into you or did you dream about it? Is it part of your faith?
Speaker 1: What is it?
Speaker 2: Not sure? From a very young age, I was really a quiet kid. I think probably being the youngest of ten you'll put back into place pretty quickly. So I watched and learned and listened a lot, and I think that's a big thing. You obviously learn a lot more when you're quiet and you're listening. And I had a lot of brothers and sisters wanting to teach me too, like I was a little one, and they just wanted to help where they could. And I really am blessed to have had the upbringing that I've had because of that. But yeah, I think just you know, just sitting back watching it all, also believing I could do it. I think that was one of the biggest things. There's one line that I've said a few times about my dad and that he used to walk around the house saying, just daily, the girls are as good as the boys, they just need the opportunities. And you know, he was just saying it because my older sisters are right and they won't get in the riots. He thought sometimes they should, and he just would say it off the cuff, not thinking, you know, I would listen or take me so random. Yeah, ye, and yeah, I just grew up listening to those words, thinking, well, that sounds pretty good to me, sounds pretty right, so exactly, and I grew up thinking, you know, why couldn't I be, you know, as good as the boys. I work hard, I've grown up with all my life, watched my older sisters who did very well and just needed the opportunities to prove that. And I think that, you know, simple line of that as a young kid just embedded into my brain and gave me the confidence to believe in myself.
Speaker 3: So you're saying to me, he didn't sit you down and say to you, you can be as good as anybody, or you know you can if you get the opportunity, you can be as good as the boys or any boy. But you just sort of randomly hurt it like as part of his let's call it his pattern. You know that the way he spoke, and you obviously heard it a lot, and then there's something about your belief system and so you believed him. What is it that has gets a young kid? What do you think in your case at least, is that for you as a young child, believed in your dad Because you know, some times you tell kids.
Speaker 1: Things, you know, I said, we are four kids.
Speaker 3: I mean, they don't they say, yeah right, dad, Especially these days, they don't believe everything I say. You know, they believe in everything I say, particularly these days they are older. But when even when they were kids, and in fact, some personalities out of my son's would go the opposite direction no matter what I said, but I tended to say it to them as opposed to just sort of randomly saying it. What is it about you that allowed you to believe that what your dad said was correct?
Speaker 1: Because that's the biggest challenge that you've overcome.
Speaker 2: I think he wasn't, like you said, he wasn't saying it directly to me or any of us. And he probably even didn't even know I was listening, because we was busy.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 2: It was an noisy household. There was always fights and you know, kids everywhere. So if I asked him, yeah, I doesn't even know I tell that story because and if I asked him that, he probably wouldn't even nearly remember or think. You know, I was sitting there like, oh, yeah, right, that sounds pretty right, and yeah, probably just that fact. And you know, like I said, it was a busy household. Kids were coming and going all the time. There's cars everywhere in the front yard, race bags everywhere, saddles and stuff like it. It's hard to even explain, to imagine. The movie couldn't depict how crazy it really was, even though they tried. So, yeah, just in that madhouse, and you know, kids are coming home from the races. How'd you go today? You don't know? Good got taken off this one? So we were hearing all of those I was hearing all of those things, you know, of just every day working life. And you know, it wasn't pretend everything was you know, survival and you know, a real life job, and it's a tough job. You've got people putting a lot of money into their horses, people gambling on them, people yelling out over the fence at them, you know, giving them grief or whatever. So I think it was just a way of him supporting my older sisters, you know, to you know, you can be as good as the guys. You just need the opportunities and hopefully one will come their way. And he also trained a number of horses. I think he had around twenty five and shared them as best he could between them all as well. So he just needed a good horse to give them that. And one story that blows me away is my older sister Tree, So I spoke about she was fourteen when she started racing, which I started at fifteen, and I was such a baby. I thought I was ready. And you get thrown into the world of racing and you're inner field on this six hundred killer, out of control because you're still getting stronger, getting pushed around from pillar to post by the older job and I remember thinking stuff, Oh my god, I didn't think this. I wasn't going to be prepared because I've watched so many races. She rode as a fourteen year old, and she was riding for six months and dad had a horse going for the Adelaide Cut, which is a two mile race Group one at that point, which is top level, and he needed a rider at forty seven kilos and he was struggling to find somebody, and so he thought, I'll put trees on. So by this stage she was fourteen and a half years old've been riding six months going into a two mile race on a stallion, which is even bigger and stronger. To me, that blows me away that you know she was able to do that, And I asked her about it, she says, I was all right, she just just went out there and did it. So that was upbringing I had watching, you know, those those sort of things and wouldn't be heard of today. I think the younger ship can start riding at sixteen. So just remarkable.
Speaker 1: You just said just as it was forty seven and a half kilos.
Speaker 2: I think you said had forty seven, so she would have been around forty five forty.
Speaker 1: Five killows and just just on that.
Speaker 3: Just so we get a bit of an insight into a jockey's life and I'd like to actually cover off, you know, the training regimes, et cetera, in terms of time and all that sort of stuff and the competition around it. But just in terms of being forty five kilos, even a.
Speaker 1: Diminutive woman.
Speaker 3: Would struggle at forty four to get to forty five kilos. What does it actually mean like in terms of how you lead your life. Maybe for the week before the race and maybe maybe and I don't know, do you need to train at do you need to take the horse for training around the.
Speaker 1: Paddock at forty five as well?
Speaker 3: Or or the it' say okay for you to be much heavier before you lose weight, And what's the weight loss program look like?
Speaker 1: How intense and hectic?
Speaker 2: So for her, she was fourteen, so she was really light. For example, when I started racing, was forty seven at fifteen, so sort of the build of our family and at that age is still growing and you know she might be fifty fifty five now for kill those still small. Yeah, we're still small people. But as you get older and you're mature and you get to your full size, that's when the challenge comes to maintaining weight and being at the right weight on the day. That can be a whole range of challenges, and people do it in different ways to suit themselves, suit their bodies the best way that they're going to perform on the day. You have to sort of work that out along the way. One thing might work for somebody. Yeah, one thing might work for somebody not another. So yeah, it all just depends on the individual. But you're watching your learn things and you try if that works, that works, If it doesn't, try something else.
Speaker 3: Did you ever do anything that sort of resulted in you being not ready to write as a result of maybe pulling the punt in the punch, pulling the wrong rain on your own weight loss, So you know, like if you're not experiencing this sort of stuff and for some reason you decided, well, I'm just not going to drink any water for two days. And by the way, that top of weed stuff does happen in other sports, but it affects your brain. You thought by process is your strength, your ability to respond, your time to respond, which all those things are critical in what you were doing.
Speaker 1: Did you ever stuff it up?
Speaker 2: One time that I can recall is I had my first ride in the Corfield Cup at fifty kilos. I think I was twenty four at the time, and the fifty kilos I hadn't ridden for six years in the lead up to it, but it was one of my biggest opportunities to ride in a race like that. That then went on to race in the Melbourne Cup, so I definitely wasn't saying no, but getting to that was just one of the toughest things I've had to go through. I think the last half a kilo on the day took me seven hours to get off. It just wouldn't come off my body. Eventually got to the weight and rode the horse. She ran well, She ran top eight, which was really good. And then the next week I was riding. It was for champion trainer Buck Cummings, and you know, it was an unbelievable opportunity to ride for such a trainer of his caliber. And I was riding again for him the next week in the Mini Valley Cup and it had fifty one kilos and I thought that should be right. I've just ridden fifty should be piece of Kate get into fifty one. Anyway, the morning of the race, I had, I think a kilo to lose and I thought that was in range I usually could lose up to a killer and a half if I had to anyway, my body would not let go. I could not lose the weight, and I was running out of time. Ended up having to make my way to the track and I rang the foreman at the time, Redge Fleming, and I said, Redge, I'm not going to be able to make the weight. I don't even think I can be half over. I think I'm going to be a killer over. And he said, oh, but it's not going to be happy. We might have to try and find a replacement. But if there's not a replacement, you obviously have to ride it. But anyway got there, no one could ride the horse, so I wrote it a kill over. She ran third, she ran really well. I don't think it effective where she because she was beaten too far for a second. But I did lose the ride, I know the next start, but was then lucky enough to go on and ride the same horse for bart in the Melbourne Cup from the Corfield Cup at fifty and a half. But I had ten days then to try to get back down to that weight. So that's the whole thing about learning your body. I didn't realize because I'd done it so tough to get to the fifty my body didn't want to let go to get to fifty one the next week. So just things like that. A Yeah, crazy that it can make such a difference.
Speaker 1: And does it affect you sleep?
Speaker 2: You're exhausted, has a jockie, You're up at three three point thirty, you ride, ride all morning, you come home, you might get an hour's nap. You might not even get that. You go to the race all day, get home seven, eight, nine o'clock. So sleeping was the right of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when you're exhausted, be you've.
Speaker 2: Go to bed hungry, you go to hit bed with this stomach churning most of the time.
Speaker 3: Do you feel as though sometimes whilst you choose, you choose at life everything to sort. Wow, I don't need permanent damage to myself from living that life during that sort of critical period of growth, growing, et cetera. Especially I shouldn't say it, but I'm going to say especially for a woman, because there's lots of other things going on for a female at the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Look, I think definitely in some ways it's you know, it's tough. You're starving yourself sometimes it's healthier than eating bad things though. That's true, So it's probably the extreme way of looking after yourself. But you're healthy. You've got to be healthy to perform it. You're an athlete, you know, like you said before, you've got to be thinking split second decisions, decisions. You've got to be sharp, you've got to be alert, you've got to be strong. You're writing a six hundred killer animal, you're in a race. You've got to be agile. Everything has to work together. So whilst you know it could be seen as unhealthy in a way, I think it probably is not the worst way of living. But as a female, it can affect your cycle just because you're underweight. I haven't had any kids, but my sisters have had no trouble having kids and they live the same sort of similar life. And yeah, hopefully it's not going to be any effect on me. But yeah, in a way, I think overeating and eating bad foods is more unhealthy and going up partying than probably the life we were living.
Speaker 3: It's a good way to look at it. I mean, it's not the way I was thinking, but it's a good way to look at it. As typical from just this half hour conversation. So far, you look at everything from the bright side. You're optimistic about everything. I often want to know when you're sitting there ready to the race about to start and you're getting ready, are you excited or nervous or shitting yourself?
Speaker 1: What was going on?
Speaker 2: You know? Oh my god, I could tell you a whole range of feelings. The amount of thought you can have interest many times amazing, all of them exactly. So learning to deal with nerves was one of the biggest things that I found from a young age because I wanted it so bad. I tribe my whole life to be jockey and the best I could be. And finally you get opportunities and good ones and good races, your horses favorite. You're like, right, and you know nerves is going to, you know, get in the way of your thinking. You haven't got time to be nervous and have that cloud your judgment. In a race, You've got a second, split second to make a decision, sometimes quarter of a second. Should you take that run? Should you wait? So I knew from a young age had to conquer it because it was going to kill my game. And I love the tactical side of writing. It's one of my favorite things. Exactly. Yeah, So clear thinking is basically one of the most important things. So behind the barriers, I used to get so nervous. Just deep breaths, think like, just slow down your breathing, relax. Whatever happens happens. If it's unlucky, if you don't get the run you want to have, you'll be okay after the race. Don't worry about it because worrying is not going to make you ride the horse, while it's going to make your stuff it up. So I years and years of practicing that and learning to just calm your nerves and not only that, your horse can feel it if you're nervous through your legs are that's sensitive, they can they can tell if you're a bit on edge. Wow, really exactly. Yeah, it's everything, And that's what I was trying to explain to you about racing. It's so there's so much involved that makes it so amazing and fun. So that was one of the biggest things to learn and to deal with. The other thing is fear, because it is dangerous. So here in the barriers. I think I had a bit of PTSD probably through my life from having so many bad injuries, and even though I have faith, you can't help but think you know what's going to go what could go wrong? When exactly when things have gone wrong, So that that was one thing that my faith come into it. I'd say a little prayer, say to mom, oh, wow, I had an older brother that passed away when he was three days so called Michael, who I was named after. I was born on his birthday, so she'll probably so I'd say a little friend of Mum and to Michael, and to God, you know, keep me safe out there. Please have to make the right decisions at the right time, and I instantly feel calm. So obviously the faith, you know, would help me through those times. But yeah, like because there was times having falls. One time in particular, this was I've probably been riding I think thirteen years, and it was in the barriers, had had it at this point, a fractured skull, fractured vertebrates, dessicated ankle.
Speaker 1: Not to welst you're on the horse. You'd had already previously had that had.
Speaker 2: These hors on from falls. So I was, you know, had had a lot go wrong and in the barriers, and this I remember it really clearly. Usually I couldn't remember the fall because it was knocked out through concussion and everything. But this day I remember, and the horse was having its first start in the country in Victoria, standing up really straight, ready to go, and I was I remember thinking himself, what a lovely little horse, three year old young horse given pat a thousand meter race, So you go to jump fast, get your spot anyway, he for some reason, and I've never seen it before after but when he went to jump, he didn't move his front legs. They just stayed straight and he just absolutely face planted. And usually when they stumble, you can pull their head up a bit and you've got a little bit of reaction time. But because I went to pull his head up, he just he catapuled me face first into the ground as fast as you could even imagine, and I woke up. So I don't even know if I woke up or I'll come to it on the track and I couldn't move my legs for about thirty seconds, and all the barrier attendants are there and the ambulance of there with you straight away, and I was like, I can't move my legs. I can't move my legs, and they they're like you' all right, don't panic, don't panic, or like, don't panic. I can't feel my legs and I think it was thirty seconds. It felt like five minutes. But the feeling came back, and I don't know whether it was shocked the spine or what happened, but I ended up fracturing five vertebrates and three ribs. So then when I came back from that fall, it couldn't help to think that, you know, pickure it up when you come out of the barriers. You didn't want to affect your horse's start because you were worried about it falling or stumbling. But it's very hard, you know, human nature protect you protect yourself, so it's hard to get over those those sort of things. And there were times when I went down the line of talking to a sports psychologist to help with that, and amazingly, you know, they had little tricks that would help me get through that, and obviously also having faith and saying a prayer would help. And I didn't want to be scared. I didn't want to be giving up my passion and what I loved because I was worried that something might happen like that.
Speaker 3: Again, is it Is it a matter of in your case, you are you love and you you love racing, You love horse racing, you love winning. You just love the sport generally, it's in your blood that you've been brought up with it. It is so powerful, they're pretty much nothing is going to stop me from doing. Whether it's fear, you know, the danger, the fact that you're female, you know the odds are against you even getting the getting the ride in the first place, whether you look after your weight you've had number of falls. Is that always overriding everything else? The fact that I love the sport and that's what I want to do. Yeah, so fun, so much conviction towards it and it's fun. Is it just because it's fun or is this is me I define myself Michelle Paint. I am a jockey and I win races.
Speaker 2: To be honest, I always thought after writing I could go on and do something else, so many things. I don't think that's definitive, but it was something that I found the passion in and loved, and I think how lucky I was to live a life of excitement like that, The feeling that you get when you cross the line, you know, you've you've really help that horse to achieve and win the race, and all the owners, the amount of effort the trainers put in, the stuff at home, everything that's involved, and to see that, you know, the happiness on their faces when you come back in. You can't put a price on that. It's it's unbelievable. And to have a job where you go to work and you're excited and you can't you know, it's so fun like it's you know, not a job. You know, even though you basically starving yourself and you're exercising off no energy because you can't eat much. And sometimes you might be lying on the couch and think I cannot be bothered to get off and go for a roun. But you just got to will yourself and get out there because if you don't make the weight or you're not fit enough, you don't have a job. So I just can't self so lucky to have found, you know, a passion that I could be so excited about.
Speaker 1: Happy.
Speaker 3: Part of being successful is actual fitness, like I'm I guess we're talking about aerobic fitness. Grip strength is probably pretty important. Strengthen your legs to be able to stay on the horse. How important is that in terms of like your regime during the week.
Speaker 1: And before the race.
Speaker 3: So I'm assuming you're racing on a Saturday. So I say the big races coming up in a month, do you like a fighter? You sort of say, Okay, I've got a month to get ready for this really big race, So I'm going to go into a proper environment. Now I'm going to do this every single day of the week. You know, if you've got to like a rich wal you go through for that month, for example, before the Melbourne cuple before whatever big event you're going to go in.
Speaker 2: I think if you want to be a jockey and achieve at the top level, you've got to dedicate your life to it. One thing I learned which I took away from my falls was that you have to have a balance. From a young age, I was so determined to do well. I didn't want to take any holidays. I was just wanting to do you know well, and not risk having time away that I get forgotten about. All the hard work you put in would be go to waste. But having the falls, you had no choice. You were forced to have that time and I traveled got to see the world and realized that there was something in that. Then really thought maybe that happened for a reason, Maybe it showed me that there's more to life than riding and racing every day. And from then I sort of tried to take a holiday every winter when I could, and basically nearly every winter from that went somewhere different in the world and explored and traveled and grew in myself a lot of the time on my own, because I thought that would be a better way to do it. You meet people, you're forced to, so it's all about the balance. But then when you're in it, you're totally in it. You don't hard. They can go out dinner. You know. I didn't get to see my friends from school nearly all of my teenage years because I was so dedicated to the job. But you want to do well, you have to do well, and that's getting up early. You've got to do the work behind the scenes to get the opportunities to get the race rides, to get your fitness up. There's only so much fitness you can get from track work because it's not like under race pressure. You're not you're obviously training the horse, you're holding them. Your positions in the same point. But there's no nerves, the dealer adrenaline. There's nothing like race fitness. But you can help yourself at home by doing I found for me the best way. I'm definitely not a very good athlete, so I to train harder, lots of high intensity works, sprint work, short sharp intervals, just any basic strength work that related to riding. You didn't want to be using false muscles, So you didn't want to be building muscles that weren't going to help your riding.
Speaker 1: Train specific exactly for what your sport is.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and that's like a lot of core strength, obviously, a lot of arm strength, chin ups, you know, really have to use all your muscles in your body. Really, when you're in that riding position and you're holding the horse, you're using everything without your Knowjeven so with that, you've got to be very agile because you want to be a part of the horse. You don't want them to even know you're you're on them. You don't want to be like you go for a run and you got some keys in your pocket, sort of unbalancing your stride or whatever. You want to be with them as one, so that you can get the best out of them. So for me, the best way I found was to do the track work that you had to do. Sometimes we had to do too much, like for example, some days I'd ride twenty horses in the morning and before you go to the races. That was an extreme Before you go to the races, Yeah, that was an extreme day, like one of you know, the toughest usually be five to ten or fifteen, and then you might have a little workout at home, have a little sauna or a spy to lose the weight that you need to lose. Sometimes you felt better if you had that anyway, even if you didn't have to lose weight, because you your body was more prepared. I found it helped me and then yeah, off to the races. But as I got older and didn't have to ride as much track work to get the opportunity to justly more. Post Mulbourne Cup, I realized it was easier to have a balance of track work, training yourself and then going to the races. So one of the toughest things about being female writers you had to really work hard behind the scenes. That's why I was riding twenty horses the morning to get the opportunities, But your bug advice. Time you get to the races, you know there's only so much exercise and work your body and your muscles can do, especially on very limited food. So all those things you just have to work out and learn along the way, and you know you have to really want it because you can't maintain that kind of lifestyle otherwise.
Speaker 3: If you just talk quickly about the Melbourne Cup win Princi Penzance, do you remember the first time you saw met the principendance met the horse and did you feel an immediate empathy towards that animal.
Speaker 2: I'm not even joking. The first time I saw him was it a real little country t called Collac. We were doing trials. I was coming back from another injury and I said to his trainer, Darren was such, that's a nice horse. So he was just on the other side of the mountain yard and he said, yeah, he's really nice. Threat.
Speaker 1: It's a nice horse. Mean, from your point of view.
Speaker 2: An athlete, you look at it, you can see it in three seconds. Do that horse move as well? Like everything works together. Got a nice big deep girth, which means I've got big lungs, big heart, can fit in there. Everything's just efficient and you could just tell the way he walked, and he was bold. He was really bold and wanted to get on means, wanted to get on with the job. Like he was bought by a guy called John Foot, who bought him because he said he walked through He'd run through a brick wall. He was that bold kind of horse. He said, yeah, No, he's a really nice horse. You can see how it goes. So I was trialing him this day. He hadn't had a race at this point, and we were later in the day and a bit unusual, but the track got a bit slippery as the day went on, and we were out wider so usually on the course as a canber, but because we were out so wide, the campra was running down the other way. As we were around in the corner with the greasy ground, he slipped and lost his balance and I swear I felt my knee and he touched the ground because he went down that far. But he picked himself back up and he was just so athletic and I hadn't come off him, and got himself back into stride in a few strides, picked up sprinted and galltz the line finished second and I was like, oh my god, what is this horse, because they just don't do that, and he said, yeah, he's a nice horse. So he kept try to keep with him because I thought he was pretty special. You know, you don't come across that very often in your career, and I've said many times like through my riding career, road seven and a half thousand races and probably over thirty thousand horses even more in track work and probably five in the lifetime gave you that X factor feel. And he did that right from the start his very first trial, that a road. So he was just a luckable horse, an unbelievable athlete, had a will to win, to want to do it, sometimes too much, he wanted to overdo it. So I think we were a good balance being a sort of soft touch with him and kind and you're always talking to him and patting him and stuff like that. So yeah, it was just an unbelievable journey. And to think I come across a horse like that and later in my career.
Speaker 3: So when you win something as famous in Australia as the Melbourne Cup and probably believing globally in the horse racing world, what's the deal, like when you is the race, when it's over and you know you can see you won. Is it a bit of an anti climax because most of the thrillers during the race, or do you have or is it as big a thrill when they sort of announced it you're the winner and you know you won. But where's the thrill lie in the race itself and winning it actually taking him through to win. Or is it when it's all over and it's relief. Where's the biggest thrill?
Speaker 2: Honestly, I see right now today and can tell it gives me like butterflies in my stomach to think that I still have been lucky enough to win a great race. It was a dream of mine from a five year old, so to think twenty five years later I was able to cross that line in front on him, it blows me away. So honestly, I can't say the feelings died down. It was an absolute well wind from the moment I got off, And it's amazing to think that one race can change your life like it has. Obviously film being made, second book that I've written, been part of writing with the writer, and yeah, just incredible. Like honestly, I can't believe it.
Speaker 1: Did it change a world much?
Speaker 3: I mean apart from all the opportunities obviously obviously get apart from the factor you you now stand for something in relation to horse racing, with women involved in racing, particularly as jockeys.
Speaker 1: But how did it defect your life? Was it? Apart from the obvious positives?
Speaker 3: And many negatives come with that sort of stuff, like being in the limelight, how do you feel about that.
Speaker 2: I've sort of been prepared for the limelight through my career, just with earlier successes, so I was pretty okay with that. As in media, Yeah, with media, sort of being stopped on the street become something I struggled with because I'm a pretty private person. You know, as a jockey, you're self employed, you really focused, busy at your job, keeps yourself pretty quiet because usually you're hungry, so you don't have much conversation. It's taken away your personality. So I found it really tough, challenging. But the way it looks at it is you've got to take the good with it bad. People were lovely everywhere when you know, congratulations are so exciting, so inspired by When I couldn't believe it you know, the amount of good feeling that I got from it and people's reactions. So yeah, it was tough, but like you said, like I said, sorry, people were amazing and just blew me away. But I got tired also, so I just had to go home and rest a lot of the time because it was just a bit overwhelming to take on.
Speaker 3: You sort of like have to perform a little bit when you do something really good and everybody sort of wants to acknowledge it and hold up in a bit of a pedestal.
Speaker 2: That was one thing. Sorry. The people used to be so excited when they met me, and I feel like I let them down because I was like, thanks very much, but I couldn't be impressive right then and there. So I found it quite tough at the time that I was letting them down. They're like, oh my god, but what you did was so excited and again I'd say thank you very much, and they'd say it again sometimes and I'm like, I can't say anything more than thanks very much. Like I felt the pressure to live up to their excitement that that was really draining and tough.
Speaker 3: Is that because you're sort of a basically a very generous person I'm not sure do you feel do you think generosity is an important thing?
Speaker 2: Obviously my life's been made great from the generosity of my older brothers and sisters and people through my life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you know, like when and then you can only show gratitude once or twice, because otherwise, if someone's saying to you, how well done you've done, and you feel like you want to show them gratitude. But after your show once, if you're probably trying to show it a second time, you started to feel like you're faking it.
Speaker 2: Well you I don't know what else they wanted me to do.
Speaker 1: You can't say too many times? If can we just talk about your book?
Speaker 3: Obviously there's the Netflix show which I've watched and it's a great show to watch, worth watching. But the book right on, what made you feel as though that you should publish a new book?
Speaker 2: I think, like you said, I have a very positive, optimistic attitude and if how I got through some of my falls and tragedies could help other people, even if it's just one person, it was well worth the effort of writing the book for that's the main reason. So, you know, lots of people face challenges. Life's tough, and I've had many of them and talking about that, Yeah, like I said, if the way I coped and overcome things in a positive way could help others, And that's the main reason.
Speaker 3: Do you feel as though, you know sometimes when when I grow up a Catholic too, My min's a rash Catholic And there is this sort of concept in the Catholic family, I don't in the churches, in the family, within your own family, that you should pay forward the luck that you've received or the great things that you've had the opportunity to experience, and you pay forward, And that's sort of like a bit of a gratitude thing. One way showing your gratitude is share it, share others what you've learned. And it's sort of like a nearly like an ethic, a moral obligation from growing up in a Catholic family. Do you feel that too, like a little bit of an obligation to share with people something that might help them improve their lives if they're not as lucky as you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure, why wouldn't you if you can share something that will help others make their life easier.
Speaker 3: Some people don't say that though, surely that a lot of people don't think that way. Do you think it's got some the way you were brought up and what you experience and maybe perhaps part of your faith.
Speaker 2: Definitely, Also like the luck I had in my life, and even though you know, I was unlucky to have falls, I was so lucky to recover from them and get back to doing what I loved. So, you know, probably it is a bit of gratitude for that luck and luck I had. On the day of the Melbourne Cup, in a way, I felt an obligation for being so lucky to then you do good with it. If I can inspire somebody to to look at their job in a different way, to strive to be the best, even if they feel like you know, they for some reason shouldn't or they can't. You know, why wouldn't you if you if you can believe in yourself. Yeah, just so many different reasons. And like I said, with my older brothers and sisters who helped me and taught me, I don't have any little brothers and sisters to help, but anybody else, any young apprentices coming through, you know, absolute privilege and pleasure to do that.
Speaker 3: Is this Michelle being Thereasa like you know, like paying forward the way your older sister showed you and helped you out to get to where you've got to and as an inspiration I'm talking about motivation. Yeah, definitely, because you don't have any younger brothers and sisters, So maybe it's an opportunity just sort of because we all repeat those good things and unfortunately repeat those bad things that happened in our lives.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately we just do. Unfortunately we just do.
Speaker 3: And I'm trust I'm just trying to because you know, I'm trying to get to the bottom of why you would do this book. Some people do these things out of guilt. Some people do these things to make money. Some people do these things to stay relevant. You know that they might have done something in their past, We've made them very famous, and they try to do something that's relevant. My gut feelings, that's not not your case. But also, you know what I did sort of land on was maybe that's that that upbringing obligation.
Speaker 1: We have to.
Speaker 3: Share with others what has helped us. And certainly, I mean I've experienced the same thing. So I'm trying to work and work out if that's that's your that's your mantra right now, right now, to.
Speaker 1: Help others.
Speaker 2: I think definitely, I think why are we here if we're not here to help others and to do good in life? So if I can use my platform in any way to do good and to help others, you know, why wouldn't I?
Speaker 3: And are there any particular parts of the book? I mean we, I mean I read the sort of praising of it. You know, we're talking about overcoming and for one, facing tragedy, diversity, and also and triumph triumph something you've got.
Speaker 1: To face into too.
Speaker 3: Well, it's not always perfect, but probably I would have added to that overcoming tragedy, diversity, and overcoming triumph too, because there's something you need to overcome. It doesn't define you because it's only there for a second.
Speaker 1: It happens on.
Speaker 3: A particular time, on a particular day, on a particular race. That's your big triumph, your biggest triumph, but it's also fleeting. It doesn't last the next day, race over the next year, someone else is going to win it. So overcoming those things is really important. And in writing this and putting this book together, is there a sort of a particular part of a chapter, perhaps a bit a particular part of the book that.
Speaker 1: Means more to you than any other part of the book.
Speaker 2: To be honest, I was really proud of it in the end. In the lead up it was something that I wasn't really looking forward to, to be honest. I love living on my farm in peace.
Speaker 1: That's Notingham Farm, Nottingham Farm, yep.
Speaker 2: But like I said, if it could do good, it was worth the effort to put in and to go back and to remember something's very traumatic to go back over my falls. Obviously my sister passed away recently. That's in there. And but one of the one of the chapters, which is the first one which I really love, is talking through the Melbourne Cup every thought the strategy, because as I spoke about earlier, I love the tactical side of racing, so many intricate details that can win and lose a race, especially race like the Melbourne Cup. So for me personally reading books sports people's books, was you know their feeling you you know, read an AFL player's book running out onto the field of a Grand final. You know the feeling of the grass under their feet, you know, the crowds growing, just getting the inside insights into their mind. So I wanted to give that to the readers, and I really pushed to have it as the first.
Speaker 1: Chapter because everything you experienced.
Speaker 2: Yeah, everything that's going through your mind, the feeling from what I spoke to you about, you know, your muscles being relaxed on Prince ap Penzance because he was a fiery horse anyway. Didn't need to be feeling me nervous on you know, the biggest day of our lives. So all of those things like from the mounting yard to the barriers to through the race tactically, you know, what can happen, what can unfold, like unbring your race, and those split second decisions that you've got to make. I really did my best to give the reader an in depth insight into that. So I'm really proud and I hope that readers will love that and take a lot away from it, especially young writers that are learning to deal with nerves and learning to you know, think about how a race is going to unfold. Sometimes really helped me to just visualize it. Lie down before you know, go to sleep, shut your eyes, visualize it in your brain, jumping from the barriers where you want to where you want to land, how you want the race to unfold, and that for me was a really good way of planning and preparing. So visualization exactly so that can help you know, another writer or even a sports person you know might have a swimmer that will be visualizing their stroke in a swimming race or a runa anything. So yeah, I was I was really keen to put that in the book, and I think we did a good job of it so bestly could come up with, so hopefully the other readers will really take something away from that.
Speaker 3: And I've only got a sort of a pre copy of it, and what we did was we running through ai by the way, just because I.
Speaker 1: Didn't get a time to read in it.
Speaker 3: But I have got the summaries of every chapter and just on that particular chapter that's rising to the occasion you really you relive the twenty fifteen Melbourne Cup win. I'm Prince Depanzence And one of the thoughts that I had when I was reading the summaries was I wonder whether Michelle her senses are so alert, so alert at the time. And I'm talking about all senses, probably even including the sixth sense, but all sense does all of a sudden your sense of smell become really strong, and you can smell the horse, you can smell the grass, you can smell the environment, you can feel things with your fingers. Is that an experience? Is that something that would happen to you when you're perhaps when you're walking to from getting your horse and walking out before you mount the horse. I mean, do your senses become extremely alert?
Speaker 2: I think you've become so focused in the zone. All that goes you can just focus on what you need to focus on senses through your hands, through your feet, and on the horse.
Speaker 1: But that's amazing.
Speaker 3: You are actually able to then put aside all that and actually sort of concentrate those senses that you need, that you know you need. So let's say we got six, you might be able to concentrate those senses into two or three that are just needed for that moment for the next few.
Speaker 2: Minutes, exactly like the crowd. You can't even hear the crowd.
Speaker 1: The crowd, well I could, Well, that's that's amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, A lot of writers will say they hear the aurora of the crowd and jumping barriers, But to me, the race is quiet. I could take through every single step of that race but I think there's so much happening in such a short period of time that you have to be able to just zone in on what you need to.
Speaker 1: And not waste time on other things.
Speaker 2: Exactly, you don't have time. You might think of a hundred things and you're like, sometimes I've even thought to myself in a race, how do you even think of so many things at one at one time in such a crazy environment of a race. But I think to do well, you have to be able to do that and to zone.
Speaker 1: In on it.
Speaker 3: Did at any stage in the race during that race, did you get a surprise of anything you did or anything that.
Speaker 1: The horse did well?
Speaker 2: Firstly, he walked down the barriers. We missed a start by three lengths and I was, oh God, can we stop and do that again? But yeah, that's it. It's gone game on. One thing that really surprised me and I didn't prepare for, but I was prepared to be prepared for anything, and that was at around the fourteen hundred twelve hundred meter mark. Our plan was to stay on the back of the horse I was following, which was Max s Darnamite who finished second in the end, but a run presented three off the fence behind the second favorite trip to Paris, and at that point I wasn't prepared to be making a move so far from home. We still had the big sweeping band of Flemington. But after watching so many replays of the Malbourne Cup, you had to be starting to get into the race. The speed had been really slow. He was traveling strong. In my mind, that is the that's the past we were so.
Speaker 1: You knew that the pace wasn't quick.
Speaker 2: Pace was very slow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how do you know that? Watch?
Speaker 2: No, you just learned to judge. So when we got to the winning post the first time, after say a thousand meters, it was steady already you could feel that. Then they stayed it up again and I just remember thinking down the backstreet cheezs were going slow.
Speaker 1: That's good because you know he's got more in his tank.
Speaker 2: True, but so does everybody else. Yeah, so you need to be getting into a position because the horses up front will sprint because they've had it easy. So we're back in the field. You need to be creeping. So I saw that opportunity, which surprised me because I wasn't prepared to do that. But in the in the pre race preparation. I knew every horse, every runner, and like I said, you only have a split second to make these decisions. And I spotted it behind that run behind trip to Paris and thought, I'm going to have to do that. And I had sort of pretty strict instructions to stay on the back of max Elamite, and I thought that was a good plan. I thought, I'm not going to go with going to change plan here and go to plan B, and that would just work it out.
Speaker 3: Is that the thought process that you're going you're actually going through that analysis. Whilst you're there holding the horse, everyone else is sort of are they yelling and screaming all the other jockeys? Can you hear people talking to you and say get out of the way.
Speaker 2: Or yeah, yeah, you're at that point. Look down the back straight. Usually everyone's in there. Spot's quite silent. No one's screaming unless you're trying to bump out or whatever. Everyone's trying to get the horse to relax, to breathe, you know, conserving all energy, so it's very quiet. You'd be surprised to hear the thunder of the hoofs And yeah, at that point, I thought well, I'm going to take you know, make this decision and you have to go with it. You can't you can't tacond guess yourself. Everything has to be done positively. And as we were rounding the corner and coming past the seven hundred, I was absolutely bolting and I thought the sash, she's we're a chance here, and don't get it too excited. Part of my preparation was, you know, if you're in that position, don't get carried away by the occasion and push the button too early. You know, take off. A home race can be won or lost in a second, and you start making contact with other runners, bumping into them, you're taking away your energy of a horse. So it was basically about composure and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a good word, composure.
Speaker 2: Waiting until the time was right, and yeah, it was just all I think the preparation in the pre race that really helped on the day.
Speaker 3: I'm getting goosebumps thinking about the whole process. I mean, like some people have an opportunity run their business, you know, over a year, and they can make all those decisions over a year. Your business is one race, and you've got to make all those decisions and how many minutes.
Speaker 1: We're talking about now from beginning to end three minutes.
Speaker 3: So you're making all these tactical decisions, responding to opportunities, responding to threats, responding to risks, responding to the animal, your infantry, which is the animal you're writing. Then also your competition that's outside of you, it's your brain must be going at a million miles an hour. And the word you use, composure is really important word. And to be frank with you, you.
Speaker 1: Know, part of the.
Speaker 3: Importance of a book like this is teaching or sharing people how to maintain their composure under pressure. This is the most extreme version of pressure like you can possibly get.
Speaker 1: I mean, forget. We talked earlier about all the challenges you got got over and above.
Speaker 3: Which is great, But this is an example in a businessman should be reading this thing. This is an example of a person exercising composure and judgment under extreme circumstance. This is really extreme circumstances and it's a bit of like sort of it's nearly like climbing a mountain without any harnesses or something like that. And it was sort of to me in my mind, I'm aligning it to that, which is something I would never attempt and I've never really thought about a jockey's job in the way you've just described it in terms of that your mindset, your mindset at the beginning of the race, making sure that you don't you know, not everything's beating it once and you just considering those things that you need to have for the race, the build up to the race, of training programs once you're in the race, of tactics and not getting ahead of yourself, remembering what the I'm going to say, the coach, but the trainers told you to do, and probably the owners and based on But then you've got any expos you intuition because if you don't take that jump when you and you say, well, no, you told me, yeah, well.
Speaker 2: Did you tell you the truth? There were so many times previously in races where Darren had told me to do stuff and he said, what did you do that for us? You told me to do that because we don't listen to me you're out there.
Speaker 1: That's my point.
Speaker 2: Yes, I learned. And that's the funny thing about so many years and the Malvin Cup come at the right time because at the time I thought, I'm not listening to you. This time, Darren, following my judgment, and you know you're out there doing the job. You've got to go to back yourself. If you've done the work and you've done the preparation, that's up to you and you've got to have confidence in yourself to do that.
Speaker 3: Good only that you sharing all those things for people who pick up the book, and by the ways, an audiobook, because you've just had a text one.
Speaker 2: It is going to be in an audio audible. We've got Rachel Griffiths has put a hand up to read it.
Speaker 1: Which is why do it? I did one. I said it is the greatest pain in the neck of all times I had to do. I did a period about it.
Speaker 3: Takes a long time. It's really difficult to do because you're in a little booth. She's going to do it for it, she is. That's fantastic.
Speaker 2: I unbelieve. I'm so grateful to her.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's great because because a lot of people like to listen to these things these days as opposed to sort of sit down and read stuff and can I just go back to Nottingham Farm.
Speaker 1: So how's life as a trainer?
Speaker 2: Amazing? It's really hard when you finish the job, that you're passionate about, like racing obviously explained it to you how fun it is and exciting and exhilarating. So it's tough when you stop, you know, life becomes a bit boring in a way because you've taken away that spark. But still being able to work with these incredible animals that we work with, like beasts that they are. That you get their trust and you see their kind eyes when you walk out to see them in the paddic and.
Speaker 1: You see kindness in their eyes unbelievable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they just soften, you know when you come up to give them a pat and just to have that every day in your life is just an absolute blessing. So training is the next best thing, I guess from riding in a race. You still get that same excitement when you see your horse go out basically for battle for you, and all that work that you've done behind the scenes in preparing them for that, strengthening them physically, mentally, having them prepared to really want to hit the line for you as best they can. So much is involved with that. It's not just a matter of getting a horse fit and sending them to the races. You've got to have them mentally coping and you never hurt them along the way because I remember if they race when they're not fit enough, and you know that they were sort of asked to extend when they didn't have enough enough fitness under their belt.
Speaker 1: So are they sensitive?
Speaker 2: So sensitive?
Speaker 1: I mean not, I guess emotionally as a word, but they are. Are they?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? Yeah? If you run a horse unfit, you know, it's the best way to teach them not to try, because I'll be like stuff this, you know that hurt less practical Yeah, exactly, so like riding, and it's still racing so much involved in so many intricate details that make you successful. So it just makes it fun and challenging and really rewarding when it all comes together.
Speaker 3: And if you as a trainer, do you have a soft spot then for a young short pain who might be said about there somewhere looking for a ride and doesn't get it. I mean, how do you play that part?
Speaker 1: I mean, do you probably a.
Speaker 2: Bit tough on young riders coming through to you know, go to work hard. It's not just you see all the fun and the glitz and glory that I want to do that. Of course, if somebody really wants to do it and do well, I'll give them every bit of advice and sit them down and talk them through everything that I've learned that could help them. But I also don't want to waste my time if somebody is just all bit airy fairy and thinks it's just, you know, a fun thing.
Speaker 3: And well that you owe them one because you know, because some people would think that, they would say, well, she had their glory run and she won the milk up, and Michelle's a female and she should be looking after me because I'm a female.
Speaker 1: It's not about that.
Speaker 2: Well, look, like I said, I'm happy to help anybody, but busy unless you know busy. But if it's somebody really wants to try hard to do well, give them all the time in the world, because to pass on the knowledge that I've learned over the years, and passing what I was taught is just one of the greatest gifts you can you can have and give people.
Speaker 1: Does your dad come out to Nodding Nottingham Farm?
Speaker 2: Yep. Dad lives down the road so you're not far from each other. No, No, that's very great.
Speaker 1: So Stevie still comes up.
Speaker 2: Yep. Stevie comes up, rides bike up there and he's got a little cabin on the farm and we own the farm together. So cool. It's it's honestly beautiful to have had the high of winning the Melbourne Cup and the fun and excitement that I get to do, but then go back to the peacefulness of the farm, with the serenity and the quietness. We have no street lights.
Speaker 1: It's it's that's the best.
Speaker 2: So quiet. It's honestly living my best life.
Speaker 3: Well, I guess from from the summaries that I've got too though, it's not just about winning the race on the particular day and how wonderful that was, et cetera. Because life's not just all shiny. Does the book lean into some of the more raw things that have happened to you in your in your career, and androbably even brought more broadly.
Speaker 1: Just your life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely does. We didn't want to just focus on all the positive things, because life's tough and people go through tough times, and that's why we I really wrote the book not just for the insights in the Melbourne Cup. That's just the first part of it. The rest of the book is a lot around the struggles and the challenges that I faced. One was the next year I had a really bad fall. At the time, I was struggling to deal with the Malbourne Cup in the way that it was just exhausting me. And it was such a life changing race that I didn't know how I was going to keep up with everything, all the opportunities, and you know, not make the most of them, because I thought, why wouldn't you, But you know, it was hard. So at the time I was wondering how I was going to keep going. And I was heading towards a huge troop in Europe where I was going to write in Sweden and England and many opportunities are so excited about but exhausted thinking about. And I'd written Prince of Penzance in Adelaide and had flown to Mildreurer on the Sunday to ride and unfortunately had an awful, horrible fall where I fell underneath my own horse and it stood on my stomach. Well, and this is a yeah, flat gallop and at the time when I felt like when I come to it and woke up on the track, I remember being called curled up in a ball and said, something's really bad and bleeding inside, and we talk about that and when you.
Speaker 1: Say you're bleeding inside, what does that mean.
Speaker 2: I didn't know. I just could feel something bad had happened. And as it turned out, I was flown to the Alfred Hospital later that night and operated on it twoesday. The next morning, I'd severed three quarters of my pangreas off and there was hanging by a thread and they had to remove it and sewed it to my stomach. So having that fall in a way saved me because I totally got peace for my recovery after nearly killing me. At the same time, the recovery of that was tough, unbelievably tough. I prayed to God every day to get through the pain. Each night. I didn't know how I was going to survive it, and you know, people go through many things that are hard, and I wanted to talk about that and how I dealt with it, and some of that was just taking my little trolley of you know, s bag of saline and tubes that were coming out of me and going for a walk around the ward. I just walk laps and laps to pass the time. When I was able to, you know, get up and out of bed and you know, just little tricks that might help others to get through really tough times that they get through. So talk about that in sort of pretty good detail. Talk about stalkers that I faced after.
Speaker 3: The race, as in people message you, you and Neil following you around the joint.
Speaker 2: Yeah, unbelievable. Like I never imagined how bad it could be. People jumping my gate at the farm coming in. One guy just wandering around. I could see him on the cameras in the middle of a Sunday. Another guy jumped the gate on a Sunday morning through COVID. We're in strict lockdown. Come to come around the back. It was just me and Stevie there, and you know, it was started chatting. I was like, sorry, mate, you're not supposed to be here and it's private property. And he started to sort of abuse me for being rude to him even though he was on my property, and later resulted in him messaging me and abusing me and passed out down on my on my dad's front lawn and had to be pulled in by the police. Yeah, drunk. So another guy went to jail. Another guy got arrested for harassment. So it was many times that I just couldn't even believe, so obviously talk about that and and overcoming that, especially you know, living living out on a farm. And one of the toughest chapters I think to write was a chapter on my sister who passed away this year through suicide, and the mental challenges and mental health challenges she faced, and how we tried to get through it as a family, and what maybe we could have done differently. Which sister was that my older sister Bernadette, who used to look after me when I was a baby, used to feed me. She was eleven years old when my mom passed away and took on the role of getting up in the middle of the night and looking after me and giving me a bottle. You know, whether maybe she should have had counseling back then, and we didn't know about it, just different things we thought we could have done through life that maybe could have steered her path in a different direction.
Speaker 3: We carried that drawing a whole life exactly because at eleven, you know what's going on.
Speaker 2: So whilst it was really traumatic to write, it was beautiful to talk about her because she was a beautiful person before mental health took over. So that that's the chapter I really wanted to write. And I spoke to the family, you know, do you think I should You know, is it okay? Is it respectful to her? Is it good because it will help other people? And they all agreed that if our what we face could could help others, then they were happy for me to write about it. And another one is talking about the mental health I've faced. Probably mental health is not the word I should use, but the concussions that I've had, and the worry about CTA CTE and what the unknownness of it and things I was feeling through that tough time of losing her and trying to figure out what was the best path to take. And one thing that I learned was knowledge, and you know, going and getting an MRI, seeing what they could find on there, investigating it further, doing further neurosyte tests. And I think your knowledge is power and it's helped me a lot to know when I need to rest and take it easy instead of pushing yourself through brands. Obviously a fragile thing and it has to be exercised, but it also has to be rested at the same time. So I try to talk as openly as account about that because you know, you know things that can happen with people with this CTE and.
Speaker 1: We're just concussions and dementia.
Speaker 2: Exactly and the scariness of it, and I knew what I was feeling, so I was very keen to write about that.
Speaker 3: So just on just on that one is it's great that you talk about it because it's rare women talk about it because it's usually footballers, guy footballers and stuff like that, but there are plenty of female soccer players and netball players get it too.
Speaker 1: Soccer girls get.
Speaker 3: It from soccer, from hitting the ball, AFL girls get it, Rugby league girls get it, et cetera. Boxes get it, female boxes get it. It's good to hear someone like you talk about it because it's more of a worry than most people give it credit for. And I think what you're saying is that you said knowledge is power.
Speaker 1: It's I think.
Speaker 3: Which you're sort of saying is don't just sort of locked up in the closet and forget about it.
Speaker 1: Do something about it. Perhaps gett an Ameria see if there's a you know, if the brain's.
Speaker 3: Looking looks normal, or do the neurosie test with a neurologist or a psychologist to see how you respond. Those sort of things empower you a bit, exactly. At least you can get a sense of how you feel about stuff.
Speaker 1: And maybe I love it.
Speaker 3: I love the fact that you did that because I'm like, I'm really intensely interested in taking control of our lives. Whether it's feeling like a victim, which you've never have, but you could have taken, a feeling as though you might be vulnerable to brain injury, which you know you could be, but you didn't. You don't feel victims that you take try to take control over. They're important chapters, that sort of sentiment. Whilst the winning part of really exciting and fun to listen.
Speaker 1: To or read that sort of stuff is it can be life changing for.
Speaker 2: Some people exactly. And I think you know, you got to live, you got to learn by what you live as well. And I haven't spoken about her at this point, but my oldest sister, Bridget, she passed away when she was thirty seven. She had a brain injury and complications of that led to her passing away seven months later I think it was. And after my sister Bernie passed away this year Bernie, Sorry, Pannadette. She I was obviously very upset and sad. I didn't know if I was depressed. I was trying to figure out all the feelings. And I remember lying in bed one day thinking, why wouldn't you go and investigate this like you're worried about it. I had been worried about it for a long time, because you know, you watch tragedies that happened through CT and if you get a chance to read the book, I don't know how my brain is so good considering the amount of falls I've had and traumas to my head. I just thought, you're so crazy and stupid not to go and get it checked out when you're worried about it. So the next day got up booked an appointment, was able to get in straight away for an MRI, which was just so nice to get in and not have to worry about it another day, and just to start the process of learning more about it. And it took a while. It wasn't an overnight fix where I just felt instantly better. Worked with the doctors from Racing Victoria, who obviously specialized in a very wide range of falls from horse racing, and yeah, we started a plan and it's yeah, like I said before, knowledge has just helped me feel so much more empowered and feel good about it.
Speaker 3: I think that's a really good point, the plan. You've got to have a plan. It might be perfect, you might change it, you might revise it, update it. But if you have a plan, you feel better, exactly for some reason, you just feel better. It may help you be better, but you actually feel better, and that's part of it feeling better exactly.
Speaker 2: You don't want to feel guilty if you know that you should be having arrest, but if I personally feel lazy if I'm not doing enough work, or you don't push through to get stuff done. But it's about listening to yourself, and it's stupid not not to listen to to what's working and what's not working. So that's something that I've really learned as well.
Speaker 3: I feel like this straight Talk episod has become a project one hundred episode, my other, my other project, my other, myther podcast. I mean here we are talking about health and not to mental health and to her brain health, and like that's pretty important. The brain is like runs the whole show. You can't replace a brain. You can replace it hard. You can get transplants all that sort of stuff, but the brain part is really important. And you know, like someone like you who's you know, I reckon if I fell off, also probably.
Speaker 1: Would never want to get up.
Speaker 3: Like the amount of resilience that you show and also being able to just take if you're going to do something about it.
Speaker 1: That's pretty tough.
Speaker 3: You're old man, he's a mister Payne. He's a tough dude. And your mom, who obviously I didn't see her in the show because she wasn't a low but she must have been pretty tough too, both of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so remarkable. Really obviously, I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: What would you say to your mom now? Now?
Speaker 3: What would you want to say to your mom she was sitting here obviously, let's say she was interviewing you now and talking to you about two sisters and your life and all the stuff you had to deal with and all the stuff I've been dealt out to you.
Speaker 1: What would you say to your mom?
Speaker 2: You're going to make me a bit sad if I think it about too much sad. That's a good thing. I just hope she's proud of us. And what was Alma Stevie.
Speaker 1: And your dad.
Speaker 2: Well, I think I see doubt every day.
Speaker 1: But do you say things to him? Do you tell him what you think?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Pretty straight up with him.
Speaker 1: Don't worry about that because I one of the things.
Speaker 3: I lost my foont last year, you know, and I regret not telling him some things.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, to be honest, I live down the road, two kilometers down the road from him, and sometimes I'm at home, I'm tired, it's not time, I think the south. Don't be lazy, go down and see him, because I definitely would hate to live with regret. And it's interesting you say that about you know what I would feel that I haven't said to him. But yeah, I don't think too much. I think we're pretty open with each other. He's pretty straight shooter. Don't worry about that.
Speaker 3: I saw that on the show. I was wondering if that was a faithful way of depicting him.
Speaker 2: Kind version, like obviously he's a great man, really obviously kind And I kin't of even put into words what I feel about how how good he is. And even at eighty nine years old, he moves with the times, and he goes home and he thinks about things. But Yeah, he is a straight shooter and he definitely doesn't bounce around your feelings, that's for sure, but in a good way. I think he just tells you how it is and you just have to suck it up and take it on and find a positive from it, you know, get better.
Speaker 3: Maybe you don't need to tell him that. Maybe he just needs to look at the daughter he's race and that tells him everything.
Speaker 2: Well, he gets a reminder sometimes.
Speaker 1: Well, Jay, what I did.
Speaker 3: I started up a whiskey company for my dad. I don't know if that was telling him the right think or not. I built a whiskey business off the back of him because I know he like whiskey.
Speaker 1: Michell payin things for much.
Speaker 2: Thank you.