Speaker 1: Lately.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Late Debate.
Speaker 3: Well, it's great to have your company on the Late Debate James Macpherson with Caleb Bond and Freyer Leitch coming up tonight. Why do people as they get older start making noises every time they move?
Speaker 4: Don't look at me as if I'm the one to answer it, Freyer.
Speaker 3: But that question was asked of Adoptor's Advice column in his paper at the weekend. We'll tell you what they said a little later. Plus when we look at what's making news tomorrow, the government's green dreams in tatters as the price of green hydrogen set to explode metaphorically, of course, and calls for Aboriginal Australians facing court to have their cases dealt with by a female judge to ensure cultural safety. Will get to all of that a little later, but let's start with former Prime Minister Scott Morrison.
Speaker 4: Here's a question, does he deserve to be.
Speaker 3: Named in the King's Birthday honors list as he was today? Living aside the question about whether or not politicians should be recipients at all, there is the question of Morrison's leadership during the COVID nineteen pandemic, which was given as a prime reason for him being made a Companion of the Order of Australia. Today, I've got to be honest, I don't see why he would be honored for that. I'll give him this, it was a very difficult time in our history, unprecedented even I'll also give him this. I think he did a much better job than Bill Shorten or god forbid, Anthony Albaneze would have done had they been in charge at the time. But I'm just finding it hard to get my head around, Caleb and Freyer, how you could be Prime Minister of this nation at a time when human rights were trashed right across the country and get.
Speaker 2: Rewarded for it. It is strange. We should note, of course, that a lot of the things that were done during COVID were done by the States.
Speaker 4: But I want to come back to now, will the FED.
Speaker 2: Set up this national idea right? And the idea was everyone would get in a room and they would all come up with one idea and then they would all walk out of the room as a united group and do the same thing that very clearly didn't.
Speaker 3: Happen, which was a failure of leadership. And this is convened by Morrison.
Speaker 2: This is what I'm coming to. If you're the chairman of the board and the chairman of the board fails to get his members in line, then he's failed on that count, and that Morrison certainly failed on that count. I'll give him credit for a number of things. Certainly been one of the first people in the world to take up the fight to China on the origins of COVID, and he absolutely deserves applause for that and has never received as much as he deserved. And of course we were punished as a country for him doing the right thing. But you know, why do you deserve to get an ac for doing your job right? I mean the Order of Australia should be about people who have gone above and beyond their calling to do great things for the country and the community. If you're the Prime Minister and you've led the country through a time of crisis, I mean that's what you were employed to do. You weren't a volunteer. You didn't put yourself on the line in a situation that you didn't need to be in. Who haven't dedicated your life to doing things in your spare time. You were being compensated for doing that work. Am I that upset about it? No, because every other prime minister's had one as well as who is just another one in the long line, except for Paul Keating who refused one. But really, why do you deserve to get one for doing your job? You don't need a pat on the back to be told you did a good job as prime minister. The record can show whether or not you did a good job as prime minister, and I suppose in the end the record will show that Morrison's government was turfed.
Speaker 5: But I think the point as well, though, is that anyone who voluntarily takes up the role of Prime minister, who puts themselves into the public eye, who dedicates their life to public service, who puts their family at risk, who works tirelessly for the nation, should be honored. Whether you agree with the policies of certain prime ministers or not, I would say that I still do think the majority of our leaders hopefully do it out of public service and not out of personal gain, and that in and of itself should be honored.
Speaker 6: Prime ministers work harder than a lot of logic.
Speaker 3: Though, wouldn't you just give an Order of Australia to every single Prime minister.
Speaker 6: Well, they basically do too.
Speaker 4: Actually, I mean that's a dumb idea, right what everyone?
Speaker 2: I mean everyone deserves one because they've done some great work for the country, don't they.
Speaker 4: Want every nurse doctor?
Speaker 2: And surely the honor of the job is to have been prime minister at all.
Speaker 5: I agree the honor is to be prime minister. But it is also true that our prime ministers do work exceptionally hard, do put themselves in the public eye, do compromise their family.
Speaker 6: Think of someone like Peter Dutton.
Speaker 5: He has had twenty four to seven police guard federal Police Guard.
Speaker 6: On him since the mid twenty ten.
Speaker 5: His children have not known a life without being under constant surveillance. He can't go to a restaurant or a cafe or the grocery store, probably even now. And so I do think that politicians and certainly the Prime minister, put themselves in a unique position of leadership that we should honor. And often it's easy to disparage them and go, oh they did this wrong and that wrong, but ultimately they were just seeing.
Speaker 3: Such So what about Scott Morrison, do you reckon he deserves this specifically? I mean they named his leadership during the COVID pandemic as a key reason that he should be held up as a great Australian.
Speaker 4: You're going to go with.
Speaker 5: That, well, I think that a lot of the worst measures were done by the state premiers.
Speaker 6: And interestingly, in an interview.
Speaker 5: Scott Morrison gave to The Australian upon the announcement of his recognition, he actually said that he didn't support the universal vaccine mandates, he didn't support the school closures. So could he have been more vocal at the time, yes, but I know for a fact that behind the scenes and internally he was not happy with that decisions of the states. But then also the other factor that was considered was also his leadership in Orcus and our alliance with the United States and the UK, so there were other things that were considered as well. But really I think we just honor every prime minister with this, and so they were probably just picking out the most notable elements of his prime ministership and using that as the expt.
Speaker 3: I just will never get over the fact that at the start of the pandemic, the government led by Scott Morrison had a pandemic plan in the bottom draw put together by Tony Abbott as Health Minister, and that was discarded and we turned the country into a satellite effectively of communist China with lockdowns. And you're right, it was labor premiers and they played a very political game and they loved power, but it was power ceded to them by Scott Morrison when he called them all in and he believed that he could corral them and lead them in the same direction. Failed abysmally at that. And I'm not knocking Scott Morrison. It was a difficult time, but I don't see how you should be rewarded when Australians underwent such torturous human rights abuses and he was the prime minister.
Speaker 1: Job.
Speaker 2: I would warn against revisionism of Morrison's time as Prime minister as well, because he did at many points support publicly lockdowns, including in Western Australia where they remained lockdown well after the rest of the country, and Morrison still backed in Western Australia doing that, So he certainly supported that element.
Speaker 3: And he went very close to supporting vaccine mandates as well, but you.
Speaker 2: Know, nearly didn't. So he now says that's that's the state's fault. But you know. Look, if Daniel Andrews can can get a gong for his leadership in public health, that's what happened last year, then I suppose.
Speaker 4: If you're going to use that as the media.
Speaker 2: Is the least of ours. While we're talking about federal politics, we know not just the politicians, but the bureaucracy. One of the things they excel in is spending your money, and today's installment of money being in the rich man's world. It's the fact that there is at least one and a half million dollars of furniture for Parliament House currently being kept in storage. We don't entirely know why it is all sitting in storage, but according to the Department, there is one hundred sorry one and a half million dollars worth sitting in storage, including forty nine hundred and twenty in twenty one TV cabinets, forty thousand, one hundred and fifty two dollars of fourteen cocktail and TV cabinets, thirty five thousand, five hundred and eighty eight dollars of executive desks eleven of them. The Department also admitted that after spending twenty three thousand, four hundred and sixty three dollars and sixty four cents on planning and design for a six stand desk for parliamentarians and eleven eight hundred and ninety five dollars and two cents on constructing It had deemed it not feasible to retrofit existing desks or sit stand capability, and it was an ongoing project. They have spent more than nearly four million dollars on furniture in the last decade alone, and now one and a half million dollars of it is sitting in two warehouses somewhere off site. Now, you know, I understand every now and again you might update your furniture, but I am a prolific user of Facebook, Marketplace and auction houses. So I will give a little tip to the bureaucrats at Parliament House. Just put it all on a truck, send it down to Lawsons where I go every Thursday, and just sell it at auction. What the hell are we doing with one and a half million dollars of furniture unused in warehouses?
Speaker 3: I had to last at that, you know, thousands of dollars on a what do they call it?
Speaker 4: A sit stand desk?
Speaker 3: Some wag in the Australian Comments section wrote, why would any of our politicians need a six stand desk Parliament? And our politicians never stand for anything, But when a public servant believes they deserve a twenty thousand dollar desk, that's when you know you've got a culture of entitlement in Canberra. And we all believe Parliament House should look good. You know, it shouldn't be like, you know, furniture from Ikea that's delivered in a flat pack and put together.
Speaker 2: It's our national teaching a thing or two actually.
Speaker 3: Indeed, but it's our national government place of meeting.
Speaker 4: It should look good.
Speaker 3: I don't begrudge them spending money on furniture, but to have one half million dollars worth sitting in storage somewhere like, sell it to Caleb, he'll buy it, he's got the money.
Speaker 2: Is it any good or not? Still? No?
Speaker 5: I loved the twenty thousand dollars desk that was custom made for a senior bureau.
Speaker 6: Just for it to be put into storage.
Speaker 5: But then after public outcry because this all came out in senate estimates earlier this year, they apparently have now taken it out of storage and it's now being used again, so probably after this story, they're now going to do a clearance of all their storage units. But not only do you have the wasted value one point five million dollars of furniture sitting there, you're also paying for it to sit in storage. It's just a waste of money no matter where you look. So yeah, flog it on Facebook market places.
Speaker 3: You've got storage. I presume it's all insured. There was also a sixty thousand dollars lounge.
Speaker 4: Wow, that's in storage.
Speaker 6: I'll have that kind of lounges. Sixty thousand dollars.
Speaker 4: All the lounge you don't need because it's sitting in stall.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's very impressive.
Speaker 5: Look our our good friend, the Swedish doom Goblin, as she's been called here on Sky News, has been detained by Israeli defense forces off the coast of Gaza. She describes it as a kidnapping, which is rather insulting to the fifty five hostages still being held in Gaza for six hundred.
Speaker 6: And eleven days.
Speaker 5: But it really is just quite staggering the victim complex that they have. Gazans are literally risky their lives to protest against Haamas while they're sailing towards Hermas only condemning Israel, making no mention of the hostages, no mention of October seven. The double standards are honestly, really really shocking.
Speaker 6: So what do you guys, reckon?
Speaker 5: Will Israel have to show her the October seven footage?
Speaker 6: I've heard that as one of the options.
Speaker 5: Another one is organized a tour for her of Israel to see the apartheip for herself. Obviously, what she'll realize is twenty percent of the country is actually Arab Muslim and living perfectly happily in the supposed apartheid stay. But it really is interesting. Here's a little clip of her being detained by the Israelis.
Speaker 7: My name is Giffa Timber and I am from Sweden. If you see this video, we have been intercepted and kidnapped in international waters by the Israeli occupational forces or forces that support israel. I. Urge all my friends, family and comrades to put pressure on the Swedish government to release me and the others as soon as possible.
Speaker 5: So these profound humanitarian activists and all the aid they were carrying, well, it amounted to less than a truckload over one thousand truckloads have entered Gaza in the last two weeks, so so much for this wonderful, miraculous humanitarian convoy.
Speaker 3: I had to laugh at Greta's video there, saying, if you were watching this video, it is evidence that I've been kidnapped by the IDF. She wishes, I mean, better to be kidnapped by the IDF than by her mask, which was the other option she was facing. And of course I think she wanted to be intercepted by the IDF because now she gets exactly what she was after.
Speaker 4: We had protests outside.
Speaker 3: Anti Albanesi's office today calling for Greta to be released by the IDF. We had Turkey calling Israel a terra state for kidnapping Greta Tunberg. We had the Iranians accusing Israel of piracy, and we had the United Nations Reperteur on Human Rights, Francesca Alberanzi saying that every port in the Mediterranean should be sending boats.
Speaker 4: With aid and solidarity.
Speaker 3: So it's not just about aid, it's also a political movement that's by her own admission, and that's exactly what Greta wanted. She never wanted to get to Gaza because that would.
Speaker 4: Have been awkward.
Speaker 3: What she wanted was to be intercepted by the IDF to have her moment.
Speaker 4: The only thing she.
Speaker 3: Didn't get was she didn't get aggressive nasty Israeli soldiers, which would have topped it off instead. And we saw some footage earlier where they're sitting in their life jackets being handed bottles of water and sandwiches by the very nice members of the IDF, who, as he said, Freyer, will show her a video of the atrocities committed on October seven. Penny Wong was on the boat because she could do with seeing that video and maybe Anthony Albanizi could get on a boat to Gaza, be intercepted by the IDF and see that video as well. But then she returned safely to her home. As the IDF have said, kidnapping not a bit she wishes.
Speaker 2: Well, well, let's be clear that the main contents of that boat is fossil fuels and hot air. But this is why they should have just let her sail on to Gaza. And as you said, they have given her exactly what she wanted, which is the photo opportunity to say, oh, I've been manhandled by the IDF and I've been taken away and they won't let me go to Gaza. Just let her go to Gaza. What did Israel have to lose in doing so? She'd rock up there if she meets some Hamas terrorists, that's her problem. I don't particularly care. By intercepting her, they've now created the perception or the image which she will now run with. And that's very clear from her video that the IDF has interfered in her opportunity to express her free speech and go about her free will, and you can't possibly go there. That's what she will now run with. So just let her make land and do what she wants. It's not our problem.
Speaker 5: No, But if she'd actually been able to land in Gaza, her mass would have used her for the ultimate propaganda stunt, just as they did when they were releasing the hostages. It would all be orchestrated, all to make Israel look terrible and her masks look wonderful.
Speaker 2: What's the propaganda stunt with gret With Greta off it, what we're going to do?
Speaker 5: Paraded Greta around, showing her the scenes of the genocide.
Speaker 6: That's exactly what they would have done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but to the peopleship. But who is that for? Is that for the people in Gaza outside you know.
Speaker 5: For the Western world, for the people outside of Gaza.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but anyone who already agrees with Greater agrees with greater, and everyone who hates Greta hates greater. So what is using her as a propaganda to do to help?
Speaker 5: Well, what does any ha mass propaganda tool? Do People want an excuse to hate Israel and it gives them more of an excuse.
Speaker 3: Anyone who thinks israled in the wrong thing by preventing these people getting to a war zone clearly is biased in the first place.
Speaker 4: I mean it's her business.
Speaker 2: That's her business.
Speaker 3: Like if she wants to go to a wars, Israel getting hit on both sides, right, So they're accused of.
Speaker 2: I'm not hitting Israel. I'm not gonna hit Israel. As they letter get there, I'm to say, let her go. If you're an idiot, if you're dumb enough to get on a boat and float yourself into a war zone, good luck to you. Yeah.
Speaker 3: But I'm saying people say Israel have to keep you know, civilians safe in a war zone. So if they were allowed to if they if they were allowed to allow these civilians into a war zone, well then they'd be accused of not doing that.
Speaker 2: Oh, should just be more Darwinian about it. If you get yourself in trouble, you get yourself in trouble. I don't care.
Speaker 3: Let's come back to Australia, Sydney in particular. If you walk around the CBD, there's lots of monuments that you can check out. There's monuments of Captain Cook. Why would there be a monument of Captain Cook. Well, he sailed across oceans at a time when that.
Speaker 4: Was incredibly perilous.
Speaker 3: There's statues of Matthew Flinders who are circumnavigated inside or in shore.
Speaker 4: Australia.
Speaker 3: Was the first person to do it, Robert Burns, the famous Scottish poet. But of course the problem with all these statues, as is regularly pointed.
Speaker 4: Out, is that they are of white men.
Speaker 3: Well, you can breathe easy, because that problem is about to be addressed with a multimillion dollar five point five meter high statue about to be erected at Sydney's Circular Key of an Aboriginal woman who is also part whale.
Speaker 4: Coming up out of the ocean.
Speaker 3: The statue, as you can see on your screen there will be called Black Women Rising and the artist Ellison Page says the statue will speak to female power in a white man's world.
Speaker 4: She told media today this CBD.
Speaker 3: Is peppered with monuments of white men in history, and they are done in a way that is colonial.
Speaker 4: It's all linear.
Speaker 3: They're standing on sandstone plinths and doing something heroic, which is kind of the point of why you have a statue of someone because they did something heroic. She goes on to say, this bronze bubbles at the base as if she's forming out of water, as if she's this superhero with her energy and essence living within the Aboriginal women of Sydney today. She is everyone, every black woman, every mother, daughter, sister, auntie.
Speaker 4: She is country. I don't know if.
Speaker 3: That inspired either of you. It didn't inspire me. It kind of confused me because I sort of thought, if you're a bit annoyed that there's too many white men being honored with statues in Sydney, then by all means erect a monument to a black woman in Sydney. But maybe erect a monument to an actual black woman, not a mythical black creature half woman, half whale, and maybe honor a black woman or indeed an Indigenous man for something of note that they did. The artist says that white men are honored for heroic deeds, well honor an indigenous person for heroic deeds. There's plenty of indigenous people you could nominate who've done outstanding things.
Speaker 4: Why this mythical creature? I don't get it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean Nivel Bonna. I mean, I suppose not a woman. So won't fit this particular idea, will it. I have to say, though, I'm not sure who's funded this because it's not clear whether it's funded by the council or by Lyndlease, because it's going in front of an apartment development. Right, If Lindles is paying for it, and they're paying a significant sum of money for it, then a free kick to them. You can do whatever the hell you want with your private money. If it turns out that there is public money being tipped into this, then it's a completely different story. But I have to say, as meaningless as this thing actually is, it's much better than most public art we see these days. I mean, there is absolute garbage around. So a big bronze statue of a half while half woman thing actually won't be that bad to look at compared to most of the we're subjected to now.
Speaker 6: But this is the thing.
Speaker 5: No one actually wants to go see modern art anymore. Many modern art galleries are struggling to attract visitors, so now they have to put it in the public sphere, so you can't possibly avoid it. This is just a way of getting people to look at terrible art. But it's also something that is not particularly original to Sydney. There are now bronze statues of random people in Florence, like this one of a black woman holding looking.
Speaker 6: At her phone.
Speaker 5: There's a similar one in a Times Square of an overweight black woman standing there. It's the glorification of the mundane, and it's not beautiful. It's not inspiring. It doesn't draw us higher into something transcendent. It doesn't inspire us to the heroic like those colonial statues do. I have no issue putting indigenous people into statues, but isn't it a little insulting to these successful Aboriginal women. You should be in the statue versus some fake mythological whale.
Speaker 3: Yeah, give us a specific example of someone that we can all admire and say, you know what, that person is a great role model, rather than a vague generality, which this monument is.
Speaker 2: And notwithstanding that, toppling a five meter tall bronze statue of this magnitude would be an exceptionally difficult task. But I do wonder if someone decides to lop it over many times whether they will say, oh, we won't put it back up again, because it would be too expensive to do so, as of course they have done with monuments to Captain Cook, who, by the way, was not involved in the first fleet or the colonization of this country. Let's go over to the United States. Of course, you would have seen these riots going on in LA right now. All of this sparked by, of course, Donald Trump doing what Donald Trump said Donald Trump would do, which is to deport illegal migrants from the United States. And because there has been a sweep through LA, they've rounded up a bunch of illegal migrants, many of them criminals, and deported them overseas. Are now being held in El Salvadorian prisons for at least a year, and then they'll work out what to do with them again after that. But the violence scenes that you have seen, and you can see some of it on the screen here, people rioting, setting self driving cars on fire. Of course, Donald Trump's now sent out the National Guard. People are having rubber bullets fired at them, And will come back to that in the moment, because I'm sure you've seen the footage tonight our journalist Lauren to Marzi being hit with a rubber bullet. But I mean, this is exactly what we were told would happen. And I don't mean we were told that there would be civil unrisk, but we were told that Donald Trump would clean up the streets and get rid of illegal migrants. And for some reason, the idea of enforcing the law and that's all he's doing enforcing the law now causes the left in the United States to absolutely go off. It's nut. I mean, it's not like we're talking about people who have been citizens of the United States being ripped away from their families and sent overseas that deserves riots in the street. We're talking about illegal migrants, many of them criminals, and that is how left us in the United States respond, Well.
Speaker 5: This is exposing just how bad Biden's border crisis really was, and I think Democrats trying to sweep it under the rug and say, oh, no, it's not really that bad.
Speaker 6: These are just some Laura abiding.
Speaker 5: Peaceful people who just want to come to America and make a better life. Well, inherent in being an illegal migrant easier, not Laura abiding. But anyway, Gavin Newsom actually wrote to Trump asking him to rescind the deployment of the National Guard, saying California has this under control. But then just moments later the LA Police chief said officers were overwhelmed. And then you have other Democrats like Tim Waltz who accused Ice of being the new Gestapo. You're the mayor of Boston who said, I so basically neo Nazis it is. I mean, on the one hand, they can't actually grapple with the fact that they have let their cities get this bad. Now finally someone's coming in to clean up the mess. But then they are also actively putting in danger these law enforcement officials by creating hysteria and comparing them to Nazis.
Speaker 3: Well, you mentioned Tim wall So, I remember his wife saying that during the Black Lives Matter protest, she opened the windows of her home so she could smell the fumes of the fires set by the rioters. I mean, the Democrats want this kind of thing, and Trump's had to send in the National Guard because the mayor of Los Angeles, she has blatantly encouraged this. She said when Trump sent ice into California to remove illegal she said, we will.
Speaker 4: Not allow this to happen.
Speaker 3: And then she made comments to the effect that her office was liaising with community groups about the protests, which was sort of a subtle message that you have permission to do whatever you want to do. Nothing is going to be done, so she's actively encouraging it. Gavin Newsom, Well, he doesn't know what to do, and we all know that's the case because we're not surprised by it because remember the fires, I mean, they had a natural disaster.
Speaker 4: He'd know what to do about that. Now they've got rioting. He doesn't know what to do about that either.
Speaker 3: And there's only one way to deal with rioting, and that is to come down hard and fast, because if you don't, it spreads. And so Trump has got to come in and deal with this. Now one little thing, it's a minor thing, but it annoys me. How Donald Trump fives off tweets where he refers to Gavin Newsom, a's Gavin new scum.
Speaker 4: I just wish Trump.
Speaker 3: He's got the law on his side, he's got a mandate that he won at the election. I just don't know why he has to resort to rubbish like that, which.
Speaker 4: Just demeans him and the office.
Speaker 3: And he seeds the high moral ground over and over when he doesn't need to.
Speaker 2: I mean he does that all the He's always he's always needs to do it. He doesn't need to, but he's always gone for the jugular. So look, I think of all the things going on at the moment, that's probably on the mark.
Speaker 3: But we saw the images on our TV, right, you don't need to go for the jake you. Gavin Newsom is condemned by the images he's allowing us to see in his city.
Speaker 4: But this is not by silly tweets.
Speaker 2: From Trump, but I mean the fact that this is just the response to law and order being enforced. I mean, would these people prefer maybe they would would prefer to live in an anarchist world. I mean they want the world without borders and all that sort of stuff.
Speaker 4: Any resistance to Trump is justified.
Speaker 2: One thing though, and I'm sure you've seen the footage tonight is the Lauren to Marzi from the Channel nine being hit by a rubber bullet. Now, I don't know how many times you've seen this footage. I've watched it over a few times tonight. Keep your eye on the left hand side of the screen. With one of the coppers with his gun with the rubber bullet in it. He seems to turn around and fired directly at Lauren for no particular reason.
Speaker 1: Take a look.
Speaker 2: I mean, the only thing I can think of is that there was a car turning into that lane, so he's sending a warning. But then wouldn't you just shout get the hell out of the way. You know, look amongst lots of stuff that's going on there at the moment, I get that this is reasonably minor. Lauren Tomazie was all right. She made it across at six o'clock. She said she was fine. But there was no call for that.
Speaker 5: Well, it's always going to be chaos in that kind of a situation. What I don't like is anti Trump people using that as evidence that Trump is going too hard on the protesters, when I actually read somewhere that the person who fired the shot was an LAPD officer not even under Trump's control. So look, we'll see it's always chaotic in these sorts of situations. But there is a feud that is dividing the internet. Two of the biggest names in women's sports, Riley Gaines and Simone Biles, have erupted into an online feud. It all began when Riley Gains, who is a former swimmer and women's rights activist, posted a photo of a Minnesota team that won a championship, but they won it with a trans player, and she said, of course your comments are turned off. Your star player is a boy. Not controversial for Riley Gaines to say. But then out of nowhere came former Olympic gymnast Simone Biles, who absolutely ripped into Riley Gains for this. She said, pick on someone your own size. We should be uplifting trans people, or making sport more inclusive, or perhaps finding a transgender category in all sports, and then she called Riley Gaines straight up a sore loser now rightfully. The internet then exploded when Simone Biles said this because she won her Olympic medals in the female category. If she had been competing against men as she wants in her inclusive utopia, she would never have won the gold medal because of men's physical strength and advantage. And then the funniest part was an old tweet of Simone Biles came back to bite her back in twenty seventeen. She tweeted, good thing guys don't compete against girls, or he'd take all the gold medals. Riley Gains responded to this and said, don't you hate it when your past self undermines your current nonsensical argument. And that's the point everyone, deep down knows. Any professional athlete would know that men have a substantial physical advantage just by virtue of their biology. She knew that somehow eight years ago she knew that, But now I don't know.
Speaker 6: She's fallen victim to the woke mind virus.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Simone Biles got eleven Olympic medals competing in a female sport against females, earned millions of dollars, and retired and then started saying how males should be allowed to compete in female sport, which seems a little easy. Not only that, but she wants to take on Riley Gains, we did face a male in her sports. Riley Gains achieved fame or notoriety, depending on where you sit on the issue when she complained had the temerity to be upset that. Remember Leah Thomas, the biological male who was dominating university swimming and beat Riley Gains. So Riley Gaines knows what it is to be penalized in female sport having to compete against a transgendered athlete.
Speaker 4: For Simone Biles.
Speaker 3: To win all their medals, take all her money and then sit back righteously pontificating on we need to support trans people in female sports is pretty rich.
Speaker 2: Well, mus Biles could simply put her money where her mouth is and go back to competing and compete against men. If she's that confident that this isn't an issue, then that's what you go and do. It's also interesting to note that Gymnastics USAY, which is of course the governing body for gymnastics in the United States, has now pulled their transgender entrance policy from its web site, and previously they updated it about five years ago and changed the rules so that you didn't have to have gender assignment surgery or anything in order to be able to compete in gymnastics, so you can be a biological mail and have taken very few steps to change anything about yourself and compete as a woman. And amidst all of this, they've now pulled that from their website. So it makes you wonder what's going on behind the scenes in the governing body and how they're now thinking about all of this. If it turns out that Simone Bile's going off at chops about this actually causes them to review this policy, then maybe she's done a good thing.
Speaker 5: And I think that's exactly what's happened, because Riley Gaines has said many athletes who are still competing professionally for Gymnastics USA have contacted her privately behind the scenes, saying they support her stance on the issue and that women's sports should be protected for women. And this is the thing, I don't know why people are still trying to make this argument or fight this fight.
Speaker 6: This is a ninety ten issue.
Speaker 5: I honestly, it's not even partisan, it's not political, it's just basic common sense. So this would seem like a real pr headache for Simone Biles to get into for zero gain.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's unbelievable.
Speaker 3: Why she would want to do this, who knows, but I guess it makes her look righteous in the eyes of the work. Want to show you a headline that I've got, to be honest, really confused me. In the Herald Sun today. It's regarding school policies on mobile phones in Victoria. The headline reads, teachers and education experts call for wearable devices to be banned in school phone policy. In other words, Victorian government schools have banned mobile phones, and for good reason. Obviously, they are a massive distraction for young people, not to mention the bullying that goes on with regards to social media. We don't need mobile phones in schools. But writing their policy they forgot to include things like Apple watches, evidently, and so now teachers are saying we need to ban those as well. And then you've got kids with their AirPods listening to I guess they can get them to their laptops if they don't have their mobile phones, calling for those to be banned as well.
Speaker 4: This seems to me to be so obvious.
Speaker 3: I can't believe they didn't write this into the policy originally, but hopefully they will. As a parent of children, I know very well how their devices are a massive distraction, and they're honest enough to admit it to me themselves that having a phone at school was not a good thing to do.
Speaker 4: So the Victorian government should quickly deal with this.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, the evidence is very clear and the ban just on mobile phones has already been quite effective. There was a survey of students which found that eighty seven percent of them said they were now less distracted, eighty one percent said they were learning better. Teachers have reported improved behavior. Obviously, you reduce the harm from online bullying, the mental health impacts. So I mean, but this is just classic bureaucrats. Well, we'll write this whole policy, but forget the most obvious thing, like kids will always find a way around a band.
Speaker 2: Indeed, before we get to a break, you'll remember a little while ago, the CFMU went to administration because it came out that they had links to biker gangs. So you would think that with all of that going on, they wouldn't be doing anything remotely near a biki gang at the moment, But no, it turns out that is not the case because the CFMU, it turns out, has been sponsoring the boxer son of a member of the Hell's Angels. Sir Danny Bolt is the father. He's the member of the Hell's Angels, and you can you saw there on the screen before Jesse Bolt so very clearly showing off his c CFMU sorry sponsorship. Then, of course we're not suggesting that mister Bolt has done anything wrong or that he himself is a member of the Hell's Angels, just that his father is a member of the Hell's Angels. But you would think when you're in a bit of trouble from the federal government you've gone into administration because there is clear evidence that you've been a little too those to biking gangs and that they've infiltrated your union, that you would take steps to get as far away from even the whiff of a biking gang as possible. But apparently not. You know, when you've got the sons of baking members walking around in boxing competitions, that's where union money needs to be spent.
Speaker 3: And there you go, Caleb Bond lamenting the lack of wisdom and common sense from the CFM EU court.
Speaker 4: We're going to go to a break.
Speaker 3: When we come back, we'll look at what's making news tomorrow, including calls for Aboriginal Australians who are going to court to be given female judges so that they feel culturally safe.
Speaker 4: That's coming up in a month.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to the program. Let's take a look at what's making news tomorrow. We'll start with the Australian Caleb. The government's way looking at me like that.
Speaker 2: What do you mean, I'm just waiting. I'm waiting to jump into that.
Speaker 4: Look of anticipation is okay? Let's start with you that.
Speaker 2: Did you think the look was?
Speaker 4: It was just a weird look that government's green dreams are in trouble?
Speaker 1: Kalon.
Speaker 2: Can you blame me for giving a weird look when I have to look at this bloke sitting next to me every night while we're talking about the green dream. High price hydrogen bombshell. The initial cost of producing green hydrogen from Australia's two largest projects will be more than four times the price of rival energy sources, posing a fresh setback for Labour's bid to deliver a major new export industry by twenty thirty and meet net zero goal. Singapore based Intercontinental Energy, a co owner of two mega developments in western Australia, where a combined one hundred and thirty six billion dollars has conceded. Initial costs for delivering green energy from the facilities was estimated at between eight and eleven dollars a kilogram. I mean, look, I don't know how many more holes can be shot in green energy. Of course, Twiggy's given up on all of his big projects. Ninety nine percent of the projects in the pipeline haven't gone past the development or approval stage. And yet we've still got the federal government carrying on about how good it is, even though of course they had to bail out down in South Australia because of course the steel works down there weren't working, which were meant to be fueled by hydrogen green hydrogen. On and on it goes. Can we just admit that it's not going to happen?
Speaker 5: Sorry, you got the Albanezi government has already spent eight billion dollars trying to kickstart this industry and they're hoping to build it to a fifty billion dollar industry with sixteen thousand jobs, but there is literally no investors, so they're spending all this money on a pipe dream. Meanwhile, they're criticizing nuclear, which is a tried and tested technology that is green, that people will invest in, that is working around the world.
Speaker 6: Seriously stupid and that's my problem.
Speaker 3: They're dismantling a very reliable, very cheap energy grid for speculative projects. Also on the front page, there's some good news on energy. Dan Teen says the coalition will take their time to work out whether or not they'll walk away from net zero, so that is still being discussed by the coalition and they probably won't go with Dutton's plan to have the Commonwealth buy or pay for nuclear power, but certainly lift the ban on nuclear power. So there is some common sense, thank god, on this topic.
Speaker 2: We'll see where their land. I mean, if they want to generate energy, they could burn all that furniture that they're being installed they're not using a parliament house and get the energy out of that. Or I'll give a shout out to Spencer Housen, former radio host at the ABC and four BC in Brisbane, sent me a message a little earlier and said Parliament should put all of that furniture up on Give It, which is a platform where charities can get hold of furniture and money and whatever that they need to distribute to people and give it out to the needy. What a great idea that would be. Another story on the front of the ODS tomorrow, Indigenous Cultural Safety lawship. This one is insane exclusive from Ellie Dudley. Judges in the nation's largest criminal jurisdiction should consider allowing cases involving Aboriginal Australians to be heard in a closed court or before a female judicial officer in order to enhance cultural safety, according to provisions inserted in a new South Wales bench book. The Equality Before the Law bench Book, which was compiled by the state's judicial watchdog and acts as an overview of legal procedure for judges, instructs judicial officers to be wary of their own unconscious racial and cultural biases when presiding over childs that involve Indigenous people. But the idea that you would have, I mean, and this is what we're talking about, different levels of justice for different classes of which is no justice at all correct along racial lines. I mean, this is why people voted against the Voice. They didn't want any legal recognition that people were different. Because we all agree, or most of us agree anyway, that every man should be equal and woman equal before the law. You go down this road, we are not all equal before the law.
Speaker 3: How do you ever have reconciliation and have one country when you keep dividing everything up, even to the point where certain people get different context for their criminal trial based on race. It's insulting to judges to suggest they can't create a fair environment in which someone's case is heard. It's insulting to indigenous people to suggest they are so traumatized by the events of two hundred years ago that they can't possibly sit in a.
Speaker 4: Court of law the same as the rest of us.
Speaker 3: And it's insulting to the rest of the country to suggest that somehow a certain group gets special privileges i e. Closed court, a more sympathetic judge based on race.
Speaker 5: It's also so funny that this is in the Equality before the Law bench book, more like Inequality before the Law. But anyway, moving on to the Herald Sun now, the headline reads Vlad's crude war chest. Australia is helping bankroll Moscow's war on Ukraine, the Kremlin reaping one point eighty five billion dollars in tax on fuel shipped here despite a ban on importing oil from Vladimir Putin's regime. Russia's windfall is more than the one point five billion Australia has sent to Ukraine in aid, so on net by about three hundred and fifty million dollars, Australia is actually supporting Russia.
Speaker 6: That news to me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that would seem to be a pretty poor result for this country. For the Australian government to have that going on and not to make some changes to it.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, it just makes a mockery of the idea of sanctions. And this has of course been the major problem in Europe is that they made themselves so reliant on Russian gas and resources and then they don't know how to wean themselves off of it. If you're giving these powers to a dictatorial state like Russia, what do you think is going to happen.
Speaker 3: It's got the front page of the Towns called bulletin awful conditions in Cleveland, leading two shorter sentences. Cleveland is a youth detention center in towns or young crims get out quicker because juvenile offenders being locked in their rooms for days on end. And that is an example of some of the unusual and harsh conditions. The paper says, being considered by judges when reducing sentences in Queensland courts awful conditions in judd in jail. I wasn't aware that jails were supposed to have pleasant conditions or nice conditions.
Speaker 4: You guys think, but I.
Speaker 3: Don't think you should get a shorter sentence because prison was more unpleasant than you thought it might be.
Speaker 2: I'm lid to believe you can get hold of sky and use in some New South Wales prison. So if you're watching from prison tonight, hollo, But I mean, this is ridiculous if you are a child who's committed enough offenses, because of course you don't want to be locking up kids willy nearly in jail. But if you've got to the point where that is consideration youth detention for you, you've gone pretty far down the line. And so now we're saying, well, it might be a hard time for you, so we'll lock you in your room. I mean, that's what your parents should have been doing. And surely the reality is, of course there'll be bail conditions whatever on all of this sort of stuff that if you breach it, the coppers can come around and then you will be in the clink. But if you are the sort of kid who has disobeyed your parents or your parents have no control over you, are we seriously going to believe that mister judge saying you must stay in your bedroom, dear boy, is actually going to stop them from committing crime.
Speaker 3: And typically they're locked in their room for days on end or in their cell because there's either rioting happening in the prison and so it's for their own safety, or it's because they have been able to be trusted in general population.
Speaker 5: And most of youth crime is being driven by serious repeat offenders. So maybe if when they went to prison it was such an awful experience they never wanted to go back, we could reduce the rates of recidivism.
Speaker 4: All right, So I go on.
Speaker 2: We'll go to the Daily Telegraph tomorrow where it says more fool you as senior Breaucrat warn sports codes should not be fooled by Premier Chrisman's plans to hack More Sorry, Hack Sorry More Park golf course in half, saying there was nothing in the decision for new facilities. The warning is contained in secret internal emails released via an order of Parliament, which suggests building new sporting facilities would require mass tree clearing, which would never get enough support from the community for a government to actually go through with it. I mean, the whole idea was ridiculous in the first place, that you're going to cut a public golf course in half and then turn half of it into parkland for people to walk around. It's already parkland. I mean, just leave it alone. It's a public golf course available for the benefit of the public, as opposed to private golf courses. I honestly don't know why they're persisting with it.
Speaker 4: Could not agree more.
Speaker 3: We're going to go to a break when we come back. Why do people as they get older make noises every time they move? We'll talk about that and more in just a moment. I've got no idea why. Caleb and Freyer asked me to introduce this particular topic, But there was a letter to a doctor's advice column at news dot com dot Au over the weekend asking why do people as they get older start groaning when they type their shoelacers and make other movements.
Speaker 4: The letter said, Dear doctor Zach, I don't know what's happening to me.
Speaker 3: But in the last twelve months, I've started to make what my partner is describing as old people noises. Why is it every time I bend over to put my shoes on, I groan? And why is it whenever I get up from the couch, I make a noise? Why is it when I get out of bed, I make a noise? It's really annoying. Well, I don't know any bad thing about this, of course, But apparently the doctor replies that you're not falling apart.
Speaker 4: It's audible adaptation.
Speaker 3: Where in your key postural muscles you die ram your pelvic floor, your abdominals, they get weaker as you get older, and so when your body is trying to stabilize caleb as you bend down to tie your shoes. So I'm told it comes out as a noise or a groan, and then it becomes a habit, and then you become one of those old people who's making noises left, right and center every time your move. There's a lot to look forward to with aging. But of course I've got decades to find out what any of this really means.
Speaker 2: And on that note, actually, no, no, we've still got a few minutes of this show lift. Haven't we remember when Chris Norman got done living next door to Alysee he got with Susie Quattro and they started stumbling in. Well, Donald Trump has found his moment for that as well. You mon't call it his Biden moment. Walking up the stairs of Air Force one.
Speaker 1: And what there he goes.
Speaker 2: He nearly fell, but he rights himself. He did a slightly better job, it should be said, than Biden. Of course, you will remember this faous footage when well he every time he tried to hit. I am waiting and I'm sure it will come eventually for the anti Trump people to tune this out and say, look, it's proof for Donald Trump can't make his way. He is just as bad as Joe Biden. Even Marco Rubio fell on the stairs. Maybe all this time we were a little harsh on Joe Biden.
Speaker 3: Maybe more difficult having just done an old man's story, who hasn't heard going up Biden one is like, that's next leak?
Speaker 2: Do you reckon? He made a grown as.
Speaker 5: No steep stairs, but Biden definitely stumbled worse. Zebra was on the loose for a full week. It's shut down highways everyone was looking for this zebra, but I'm pleased to say it has been found and returned home in spectacular fashion. This is somebody's pet zebra in Tennessee being airlifted by helicopter home. I mean, I didn't know you were able to have pet zebra firstly, but look at that majestic vision.
Speaker 4: Wow, that's quite incredible.
Speaker 3: Why wouldn't you, as a zebra escape if you're going to get that sort of right at the end of.
Speaker 2: It, I was going to say, like, this is no encouragement for him to stop that behavior. I mean, he's just like people jump out of plane for fun. He's like, holy I will be escaping now.
Speaker 4: No board toy ride. That's it from us stick around.
Speaker 3: Coming up in just a moment, is the reader Penny show goodn'tight