Speaker 1: Right across Melbourne. This is Nomber one hundred. Good morning, Welcome you Friday, everybody. You're on the air with Jason Lauren Clint here as well and a very cool and I would say special event happening this weekend that I think a lot of people are going to relate to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and when I heard about this, I thought we must talk about it on the radio.
Speaker 1: I'd like to.
Speaker 2: Introduce you to our next guest, Phoebe Simmons, who is a friend of mine.
Speaker 3: Good morning, good Morning team.
Speaker 2: Now Phoebe. If you haven't heard of this name, Phoebe started this incredible baby stalk or I'm not a mum, but I know all about it because all my girlfriends go there and I've got friends with babies from the memo, which is like the coolest baby shop going around. And they're huge, right, They're like superstars.
Speaker 3: No, well we're not as huge as I think people think. We're started in Melbourne just by myself and my business partner Kate Casey. We have three stores in Melbourne and one in Sydney. But what we're really good at is creating a community and understanding that parents deserve better and they deserve more than just a great retail experience. They deserve community and connection. They deserve to be feel to be heard, supported and understand. So it's not just what you're selling exactly right, it's anybody can do that. But we really understand as mums how important it is to feel really connected to a sense of motherhood. And when we heard about this amazing organization mum Work, which was started in Melbourne about eighteen months ago, we knew we had to get involved and support them.
Speaker 2: Right, So you've partnered with the mum Work which is happening in Melbourne tomorrow. Now tell us all about it, because I think it's a pretty incredible community of mums.
Speaker 3: It absolutely is. So it was started by an incredible woman called Kim Kay in Melbourne where she herself had a personal experience where she was feeling quite isolated and alone in early motherhood.
Speaker 2: And you're a mum, you would get that.
Speaker 3: I totally get it. It's really really relevant and it resonates with so many of it so that your identity changes after having a kid, and if you are if you're one of the only ones of your friends who have kids, or you know, there's lots of different change and you might not have all of your friends having kids at the same time. And there's also a lot of change in community resources around and not as much support for mums as they should be, and so that has to So Kim realized that that's where it has to start with us. And she just put a call out on Facebook and said, does anyone want to come for a walk with me in our local community this week? And all of these mums turned up. Oh, and then she said, okay, well, let's do this every week because consistency is so important.
Speaker 1: Get in the other house.
Speaker 3: Exactly right.
Speaker 2: Women give up their careers, they go for working in busy offices where you're surrounded by five people, one person, hundreds of being at home with the baby.
Speaker 1: I haven't had a conversation with another adult.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 1: I think we forget that.
Speaker 4: We do so from your experience and from hearing from other mothers. When you feel lonely or isolated, do you tend to retreat more? Is that something that happens?
Speaker 3: It can? It can? And because you don't know who to talk to, you don't know who really understands how you're thinking. And there are so many great resources out there that we encourage everyone in our community to access. But one simple way that we think is a really great antidote is connection. And this is where walking, moving your body, finding your people at the same stage as in life as you can really make a big difference. We think it's essential postpartum care.
Speaker 1: Well, isn't it funny? It's sort of like, you know, and I'm trying to, you know, talk down the services that are provided, but there are there are all these services that can help your life. And sometimes it's the simplicity I've got for a walk, going for a walk with someone who is going through the exact same thing you are.
Speaker 3: That's right. And so this happens every week now. So Kim started this and then quite quickly she was able to move to the sixty two walks happening around Australia, just in all towns around Australia every week. And so if you wanted to be a local leader, I just say where I live in my suburb and there wasn't a walk happening, then I would nominate myself to be a leader. And so it's very grassroots, it's very mum mum dreamer.
Speaker 2: Which is so nice because sometimes when it does feel like a big thing, it can also be overwhelming.
Speaker 3: That's right exactly. And so yeah, Kim really runs this movement and her goal and our goal is to make it as big as possible. And so when we partnered with her at the end of last year, we thought, we have to do this big walk.
Speaker 1: And that's what tomorrow is all about.
Speaker 3: It is it is so we're wanting to stand for other mums and let them know that they're not alone.
Speaker 4: Can you imagine if you saw that just coming together of women with babies coming towards you, totally, the cacophony of voices and chatting.
Speaker 1: It's just it's quite powerful, that first one that'll actually start on time and run to plant.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, but also we want everyone to come. We don't just want Mark, We want dads, we want grandparents, we want friends, you know, like lost so many of your friends have said, you know, to let them know that you understand what they're going through too, And it's going to be really special.
Speaker 2: Where absolutely, where is this big Mum Walk opening.
Speaker 3: It starts a Treasury Gardens and it's just a thirty minute gentle stroll.
Speaker 2: Because that's the other thing we're not doing, like a half marathon.
Speaker 3: Resolutely not absolutely not. We're here for connection not six six exactly nine am.
Speaker 1: Treasury Gardens in East Melbourne is where it starts. It's seeing no mum walks alone community walk in Melbourne. This is a great event. I'm right behind this. I love this, so thank you.
Speaker 2: Thanks kudos to you Phoebe because you are a mum of two, You're a busy working mummy's built a business and you're also out there supporting other mums who need it the most. So well done.
Speaker 3: Thank you. This is actually what we care about. This means so much more to us than yeah, just selling stuff. It's about changing society and letting mums know that they're head And.
Speaker 1: It's funny, you know. We'll get a lot of events and a lot of these sort of stuffs pitched at us for the show, and it's funny. When this one came up the meeting, it was just we all said yeah, yeah, it was just like we related to it so much. I think could be a lot of people listening right now that would be in that situation.
Speaker 2: We might talk to some mums after this as well and see how mums out there are feeling, because it can be pretty full on pretty isolating. When you realize you're not the only one feeling that, that's when you get the connection right.
Speaker 1: Thirteen twenty four ten is our number if you want to get involved, and.
Speaker 2: You can jump on the memo dot com dot a you for more information on the mum Walk tomorrow. I love the takeover of mums in Melbourne's gonna beautiful Melbourne.
Speaker 1: Morning for it too, Thanks for coming, Thank.
Speaker 4: You, Jason Lauren Lauren wake up feeling good following
Speaker 2: Them on the socials.