Speaker 1: Groovers. Welcome to another installment. It's your favorite podcast and mine, you project Melissa, Good morning. How are you? Yeah, I'm pretty good at Sunday. I'm up and about, you know, doing what I can. Just keep it real. That was very presumptuous of me to assume that this is anyone's favorite podcast. I should have just gone with everyone. Welcome to a podcast doesn't really have the same kind of captivating it, does it. Welcome to another one of the one point nine million podcasts on the planet vying for your attention that you project er. How are you feeling?
Speaker 2: I'm good?
Speaker 1: Thank you. Now, I'm not going to throw you under the bus. I'm not going to go the whole hog, but I'm just going to say to the masses you haven't been your most optimal lately. We're not going to open the door too wide, but you've been a bit crooked. But you're coming good. I am coming good. Thank you, I'm good. Yeah. Do you need a group hug from the typ faithful?
Speaker 2: That's lovely, thank you.
Speaker 1: If you could all send flowers, roses and small cash donations. What's the address again, you idiot? All large case donations, no, no pressure, but you know it would help just gaging. So let's jump into it. Let's not do a ten minute preamble as is often the way. You know what the other day we've been getting. Oh, here I go doing a pre amble. Fuck, can't help myself? Feel free to fast forward through this bit? No really? So the what's that episode four twenty two Becoming ungive Upable? Well, today is Sunday as we record this, and that went up, but I don't know last Sunday maybe, And today we've got Mark randolph On who was an absolute straight up killer. I love that episode. Killer means good thing in this jargon. And you know when you meet someone even you know via the interwebs, but you're face to face with somebody in an electronic sense or a cyber sense, and you think, ah, you know, this guy's high profile, he's done some amazing stuff. He started Netflix. I hope he's not a dick. Now, other people don't think that, but that's what I think. I think, because you know, like, I've met some pretty high profile, famous people who are doing well, and some of them are terrific, but some of them nah, like nah, you just stayed yourself Champ or Champ Itte and but he was a ripper. I so loved his energy, and I so loved how normal and practical and you know, generous he was with his knowledge and his time and his energy. And it's bloody amazing to meet people who this sounds wrong, but you know you think, oh, look, if he was a bit up himself, I would kind of get it. Yeah. Yeah, And he's talking to some shitkicker in Australia that he's never going to meet or see you again. And you know, it's not like we're the Joe Rogan experience and we're going to change the trajectory of his life. But we do have a pretty big audience now, which is good. But I just love the fact that, you know, here's this dude who's done some and not just Netflix, but lots of other things, and lots of charity stuff and you know, doing lots of good for humanity around the world and comes on and is very generous and very present. And you know what else. I don't know if you noticed this about him, but he he'd done a bit of research on really yes, because halfway through the show I said something like, you know, I haven't heard it yet. Sorry, sorry, sorry, My bad. So anyway, sorry, I have multiple producers. Well let's be honest, I have to, but I forget who produces her. But anyway, half through the thing, and I hadn't given him any background. We were just talking and I said, well, maybe I can't remember what I said, but I gave him some theory on something and he goes, so says the PhD candidate, right, And I'm like, what does he know that? So he's clearly done a bit of background stuff, and I thought, how interesting is it even at someone at that level who probably does a million interviews and podcasts, and he's still prepped and he's still ready to go, and he's still informed. And it's like we spoke to him for I can't remember what it was, but like fifty minutes or so, and he was just very present. And I love talking to people, and they don't have to be founders of Netflix. They can be anyone anywhere, but just I love talking to interesting, fascinating people who who won have done some good stuff, but to want to help other people do some good stuff. So that was good. But also what I was going to say was last week listening to because everyone's going, oh, I love that like, we got so much feedback on four twenty two, which for me was just it was almost like just an add on episode where I went, I want to talk about this thing at some stage, you know, essentially being ungive upable, which is, you know, not that not that anyone's really ungive uppable, as in we're never ever ever going to stop anything, or we're always going to persevere with every but you know, becoming more resilient and more capable and becoming the person who finishes stuff rather than throwing it in. You know. It was around that, But I thought I might have a listen because you know, I've rarely listened to what we do because I heard it already. I was there, and I hate listening to my home bullshit. But I went, I'll have a listener and I'll see what we must have got fifty to one hundred comments from people saying that was the best podcast I've ever heard, Mike, really, I couldn't even remember. And anyway, so I jumped in you and I spoke for fucking twelve minutes about nothing, of course, and I'm like, even I was getting sick of me and you, I'm like, hurry the fuck up.
Speaker 2: Well, we're currently I don't know, six or seven minutes in speaking about nothing.
Speaker 1: Oh big sip of water, excuse me, everyone, I just said to well, I said to everyone, feel free to fast forward through it, all right. So he was, in some ways a very small catalyst or a part of the catalyst for this conversation that I want to have today and I want to talk about, Well, the title is the late Bloomer, but I want to talk about stepping into new opportunities or creating new opportunities, or changing perhaps the direction of our career or our thinking, or our lifestyle or our behavior or our reality whatever that means when we're not sixteen or twenty or twenty two, but maybe thirty or thirty five or forty or maybe sixty or seventy, right, And it doesn't necessarily mean throwing out everything we do or everything we've been doing. But maybe it means hitting the pause button, no matter what our age is, and reassessing and starting to question the stories that we tell ourselves about what we can do or what's possible or what's likely or what's appropriate for me at my age. And I'm not saying this because I'm in my fifties. I'm saying this because I've always thought this, and I've always been intrigued by the way that you know, when I was twenty, I was fascinated that I would meet fifty and sixty year olds who were not that different to me, like keen and excited and enthusiastic, and young in their thinking and young in their behavior and learning stuff and doing stuff and being adventurous and taking chances. And they were thirty years older than me. And then I would meet people who were forty, who were like fucking eighty, who were stuck in their ways, who were living in a time warp, who were in this permanent holding pattern of thinking and behavior, behavior and misery and outcome, and then basically, you know, telling themselves they've fucking missed the boat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm like what, and just waiting for retirement.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just sliding into my twilight years and just surviving my career so then I can be happy when I'm sixty five. Fuck, what a terrible plan. And if they were doing something that was monotonous but gave them joy, then keep going. And we're not talking about what is a good job or what is a bad job, or what is a good existence? Or a bad existence, or what is a good diet or bad diet, or good relationship or bad relationship. We're not talking about that from a generic, global, universal point of view. We're talking about for you, the individual listener, what works for you. Because if you're working in a factory putting labels on cans, no disrespect that all to anyone who works in a factory, but you fucking love it and you love that you start at seven and finish at three, and from three on a Friday to seven on a Monday, the world is yours and it pays pretty well and it ticks the box, then that's what you should do because it's meeting your needs on a multitude of levels. Conversely, if you're earning a million bucks a year or two million bucks a year doing this high profile thing that looks to be amazing, and you seem to be successful from the outside looking in, but the byproduct of what you do is for the most part physical, mental emotional turmoil and stress, and when people aren't looking your experience is not one of success or happiness or joy, rather anxiety and depression and mental fatigue and exhaustion. Then maybe that job is not the right job for you, and maybe there's time to change. And so I feel like, through the countless conversations that I've had over the years, that some people settle and some people talk themselves out of the potential for more. And it's not about their potential. Actually, it's about their story about their potential. And it's not about their age. It's about their story about their age. And I always wonder what. I wonder what life would be like, and I wonder what people would be like, and I wonder what relationships would be like. And imagine a world where no ages were kept, Melissa, Imagine going for an interview and they had no idea how old you were, even looking at you, right, Because what we do is in our culture, automatically we look at somebody. I do it too. I'm not saying this is a I'm saying this is a human thing exactly, and we might not judge them critically, but we look at people and go, oh, so we make certain assumptions because well, this lady or this dude is sixty ish, or this lady or this dude is twenty ish. It's different, and we immediately we all do it. But I don't know that it actually is a good thing because more often than not, I think we're assuming things which are either completely untrue or somewhat untrue, rather than going, let me just get to know the person. Not let me get to know the person who is sixty, or let me know the person who is seventy or twenty, but let me just know the person. Because one of the problems or challenges for us is we do live in a culture and are a mindset and a society, especially in First world countries, which is very ageist. Yes we are. You know, we are evaluated and judged and labeled, and not just sociologically in groups and person to person and out on the street, but by the government and by media and social media. We are judged and evaluated and labeled based on our age. Now for some things that works, like for example, okay, you are this age, you get a pension, or you get access to these medical resources. I get that because obviously there is a practical element to aging, which is biology, and things happen. And we're not pretending that people don't get old, or I'm not pretending that people don't get old, and I'm not pretending that age isn't thing. But I don't really want to focus on the biology of aging, although will talk about it a bit, But I want to talk about the psychology of aging, and I want to talk about the psychology of behavior at certain ages based on thinking. So, you know, when I was thirty six, I went to university for the first time, never been to university, never did anything post year twelve of any significance anyway, And I remember, it's funny and I look back now at me at thirty six, and I realized how young I was. But I also realized, at thirty six, in an environment of eighteen year olds, how old I was. And it's so funny over the course of twenty years that, of course I was the same dude, it was me, But me then was feeling super old because in the contrast of the group that I was in the students, I were with the people that I was eating lunch with my friends who got their pea plates, I was like their fucking dad. I was like the old group mascot. And I remember, you know, many of them telling me as I often get in the second half of the first year, we were all fucking terrified of you. In the first semester, and I'm like why, and they're like, because you're a big scary dad. I'm like, but I just wanted to be another one of you, you know. But it was funny. But then, and I even look, to be honest, I didn't get a whole lot of pushback or flack white people going to UNI. It was mainly positive. But it's funny. In our culture there are look and it is changing, which is good, but it's not changing fast enough. I actually think for many people, the best time to go to university. I'm not talking about all people, but I think for a reasonable percentage of university the best time. To a reasonable percentage of people, I think the the best time to go to university is post thirty because you're different. I don't think for everyone, by the way, but I know when I was eighteen, if I had to go and choose a tertiary course and immerse myself in an undergrad degree for three or four years, I would have literally just been fucking throwing darts out of board and going, let's see what the dart lay. Okay, I'm going to be an engineer, alrighty, then off I go engineering for me. Look out, bridges of the world. Here, I come fucking hell, you know, But I was a fucking idiot till I was thirty five. I didn't know what I mean. I kind of knew I wanted to list shit and work in gyms, but clearly no one's going to make any money out of that, right. But then as it turned out, I did it when all right. I mean, I didn't become rich, but I had some gyms, I had some staff. It worked out all right. But for me, I was essentially figuring it out as I went. But I think another thing to think about this stuff is that not for everyone, but for a lot of people, what we're doing, and it could be a relationship. It could be owning a business, It could be having a career in a particular profession or industry. It could even be the way that we train our body. Or it could even be, which seems controversial, the way that we eat. But a lot of things have a used by date. And what might blow your socks off and make you happy and fulfilled and excited when you're twenty to thirty might be completely different or might not be the same. When you're thirty to forty might be different again forty to fifty or choose any age bracket. I know that for me, the idea of doing what I'm doing now would have held zero appeal in my twenties. You know, for me to go and research psychology at a deep level in the human experience and sit in a fucking cubicle and talk to the world about the meaning of life, I would have gone, fuck off, give me some chicken and a dumbell your fuck. We'd get out of my way, right because I just you know, I was interested, but I wasn't where I am now, not better or worse, just at a different state of my journey. And just like back then, I was so fascinated with lifting heavy shit and how muscles worked, and adaptation and physiology and fucking looking like a freak and training athletes and high performance and a physical level and getting people to run fast and jump high and hit hard and be like ultimate warriors in their sport. I loved that and I still find it fascinating, but it's not where my attention or my focus or my passion is. So I think that you know this notion that we need to find out what we want to do when we're young, and then that's your calling. Brian that's you for the next thirty years, or that's you, Gail. There you go, Love, You're going to be a nurse until you're dead, or a surgeon til you're dead or whatever, or a fucking an astronaut or who cares a barista, doesn't matter, right, But it's realizing that, you know, we will, like flowers, bloom every year, us late bloomers, we might rebloom every five or ten years into a different flower. The fucking hell I like that? Yeah, right, where we just go? So this is what I do now. Now I'm a speaker. Now I'm a coach. Now I'm a personal trainer. Now I'm a classroom teacher. Now. I mean, we've had several ladies contact us in the last year or two who have gone back to nursing, to have gone to study nursing in their early fifties and have finished and qualified. Mandy that used to work for me, Mandy Bolden who Mandy went and did nursing in her late forties, mid to late forties. She's now a nurse, but she didn't start nursing till she was nearly half a century old. She's great at it. And you know, here's the thing. There's it's this kind of mindset around what we should or what we shouldn't do based on how old we are, and it's you know, of course we're going to age, of course, but I believe that a huge amount of how we age is dependent on choices, behavior, choices, behavior and mindset. So you know, I fully believe that. And I don't mean this sound on any level arrogant or egotistical, because I am the most mediocre person. I know. I'm not naturally gifted at anything. I'm not genetically gifted. I'm not intellectually gifted. I'm not athletically gifted. I'm like, look up, fucking mediocre. You'll see a snapshot of me grinning like a stupid motherfucker back off the screen, right. That is me. But I know that my brain and my body and my health and my energy and my mindset and my habits and my behaviors and my lifestyle, and I think is not typical for my age. I know that, and I know that because I talk to lots of people my age, and I see lots of people my age, and there's no judgment, there's awareness. And I'm not saying better or worse, but what I am saying is if I said to you, Okay, whatever age you are, now, would you like to have the physical, mental, and emotional energy of somebody ten or fifteen or twenty years Yes, younger. Everybody would say yes, because who the fuck doesn't want to feel function better than they currently do. So I know that my brain doesn't work like a typical fifty seven year old because I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't ad shit. I sleep great. You know how many hours I slept last night? By the way, unlessa I'm going to guess ten, yeah, ten and a half. Fucking my cells. My cells were giving me a round of applause. They're like, you fucking rock right. And what I'm saying is that the way that we age and the rate at which we age is controllable and manipulatable to a point. Of course, there is a genetic element and an unavoidable element to physiological aging. Of course, nobody's going to live forever. But we've all met seventy year olds that are young, and we've all met forty five year olds that are old. And so for me, it's exciting to talk to people like doctor Ingrid, who became a nun. She did five years as a nun. Then she became a doctor. Then she became a coroner, a medical doctor. Then she became a coroner doing autopsies. I think she did like seven thousand autopsies. Then she went back to study in her thirties to become a psychiatrist, so another five or six years of study on top of I don't know ten years of previous. Then she became a psychiatrist. Then she figured out how to be a single mum with three kids and emigrate to Australia and figured out how to do. Then she figured out how to become a leading psychiatrist in her field in Australia and navigate this new country and this new system and this new culture while being a single mum, like fucking amazing. And then in her mid sixties she's now seventy three. Then in her mid sixties she goes, I think I'm going to start to do strength training and not just strength training, heavy strength training, and I think I'm going to start to run. And so she's now run a marathon and continues to run multiple regular half marathons in her seventy three year old body. That doesn't look all function like a seventy three year old body, because her behavior makes it so and her thinking makes it so. And so she I think she told us. I'm almost positive she told us to her biological age was late thirties. Do you remember, I think that was the case. Even let's go rock bottom, you know, forty, you know, but I'm pretty sure. So give 'll take a quarter of a century younger. What does that mean? That doesn't mean that if we're going by the calendar, of course she's seventy three. But we know that the calendar doesn't need to dictate the way that a person feels, functions, thinks, or behaves. And so her body from a fitness and strength and function and aerobic and muscular endurance and strength and power and speed and reaction time and all of these measurables, her body is closer to a forty year old than a seventy three year old. That's all it means. And why is it because she's a genetic freak? She said herself, No, she doesn't have great genetics. But why it is is because she's decided what's going to be her default setting in terms of lifestyle and behaviors. And habits and all of those things. And some people would say she a late bloomer. Maybe she is, But isn't it good that in your mid sixties and in your seventies you can be doing things which are unconventional and atypical that produce an amazing result. I think that, you know, we growing up feel free to interrupting with list. So I feel that growing up we kind of get told either directly or indirectly, consciously or unconsciously, overtly or subliminally. You like how I use all of those things to do what's expected, you know, kind of do what's expected career wise and lifestyle wise and relationship wise and habits and behaviors. And I've told this story once before, but this little moment in time I had that was about three or four minute encounter. I haven't seen this guy since, but a few years ago. I was out in the front of my house, just fucking around with my gates at the end of my driveway, and I saw this dude coming from my street. I was going to say south road in people like, where's that? But anyway, heading down from what you know to be south road towards my place and on a skateboard on what they call a long board, and he had long hair, and he had on a flannel shirt and he had on jeans and sneakers, and I just thought it was a twenty year old just out just fucking cruising suburbia and he was kind of hammering. Yeah, and it was. And anyway, he got he got to the corner just near my house, which is on a corner, and he had to stop, pick up his board and walk around a car, and then literally we kind of intersected, and I went and he was about sixty five, right, really yep yep, yep, yep. And he moved like I'm used to watching bodies move. I know what most sixty five year old bodies move like. And I just grabbed. I go, I said, can I can I talk to you seck? He goes yeah, sure, I go. Can I be really rude? If it was a lady, I wouldn't have asked, but I feel like with a dude, you can get away with it. I go, can I ask you how old you are? And he goes sixty five. I go, you're a fucking weapon and he laughs. He goes, yeah, I get that. I go, how long have you been skateboarding. He goes fifty five years and I go, so, it's not like you used to skate and you gave it up and you came back. He's like, no, I never stopped. I never stopped. And he was an executive and he'd finished and he was doing new stuff. I didn't go into it too deep. But what I loved was, here's this guy out his energy. Like I looked at this dude. He had gray hair, half gray black hair halfway down his back. He gave no fucks about what people thought. But he was a nice person. He didn't care if it wasn't. He wasn't skating down the street going oh, I wonder what people think of me. He wasn't going shit. I don't know if skateboarding is age appropriate activity for me. Maybe I should check with the vic GUV website recommendations for sixty five year olds, because fuck, I hope this is I don't know if this is on the band list. He gave no facts, right, And the fact was he moved like a thirty year old, and you know, he was just so good. He'd been doing it so long that he just didn't fall off. It was like that was it. Was just like he and the board moved as one and he kind of skated off into the distance and that like one. He was cool and I loved meeting with him, But I also thought, I also thought, why was I so surprised? Like, well, he's a human, he's skateboarding. What's the surprise? And the surprise is you never see that exactly, because like, could you imagine rocking up to someone's birth a sixty year old someone, and you buy him a skateboard? Everyone would be like, what the fuck are you doing? I bought him a skateboard for his birthday?
Speaker 2: What four?
Speaker 1: So he can go skate Everyone would think you were a moron, right, But I guarantee you given the right setting and of course pads and all that. You know. You know my favorite saying that I've said a thousand times, We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing, right. It's so true And I remember many times as a kind of an echo of the story I just told I would I when I was a trainer, my second one to my second gym, the one. Anyway, you know where Dandy Park in Brighton is so Dandy Park's a massive park, it must be luck. Three k's around that park. Four k's. I know what it is. It's fairly big. And my second gym was two hundred meters from there, and I remember one night I used to train these three dudes together. They're in their fifties and they were like early fifties, fifty one to two three at that stage. Train them in the gym. And one night, it was a summer night and it was warm. There was fair few people in the gym, so I grabbed a footy in a frisbee and I said, boys, we're going to go to the park. And they're like, what, I go, We're going to go the park. So we job jogged to the park. So I've got these three fifty something blokes and we've left the treadmills, We've left the fancy bikes and the steppers and the grinders and the elliptical striders and the fucking fancy pinloaded machine and now we're standing on grass with a footy worth ten bucks and a frisbee and these maniacs. Right. I was up one end with the the other with one bloke, and the other two boys were up the and I say boys because they're fucking boys at this stage, and we were doing kick to kick footy, so kicking the footy, mark and the footy depending on where you live, catching the footy that's called we call it marking in Australian rules, catching, kicking, catching, kicking, taking hangars and speckis on each other, calling out, leading bloody, doing different drills, handball drills, kicking drills, running around. Then we played a kind of a game that I used to play with them with the frisbee and they spent the best part of an hour running around like forteen year olds. Now I've been training these guys for a couple of years at this stage, and they all came up to me and said in unison, that was the best session we have ever had. Now I'm the exercise scientist. I've been training them like precision training on the expensive equipment that I bought, and you know, ticking all of these physiological boxes that I need to tick to make sure that we're addressing or you know, fuck all that shit. Run around and be a child and kick a footy and throw a frisbee and forget the fact that you're fifty five or fifty three or whatever you are, and have some fun. And the interesting thing was, I would say all of them ran over five kilometers, maybe over six kilometers right now. If I said to them, we're running five or six k's, they'd all tell me to get fucked. If I said, and not only that one, they wouldn't do it. They'd rebel or if I mean, if I, if I, if I turned on Nasty Craig, then do it. But I don't need to do that reluctantly. But I wouldn't. But I wouldn't make them do it because why they'd fucking hate it. And I don't want to make people do things that they hate. But it's actually called cognitive dissociation when you do something. But like so, what they're doing is running and expending energy and moving their body in a rather intense way. But what they're actually doing is playing games. What they're actually doing is reliving their childhood. What they're actually doing is having fun with their mates. What they're actually doing is fucking around than just being in the moment right now, who's going to prescribe kicking a footy at Dendy Park. No one. But that's exactly what we need to do sometimes. What we need to do is stop behaving our age. What we need to do is stop telling ourselves self limiting stories about our age. So back to me at UNI, thirty six, oldest person in the course by far, literally twice everyone else's age on average, because nearly everyone was eighteen. There were a few older people, but the oldest person in exercise science in the first year exercise Science when I did it, there was only about ninety people in the course. The oldest person other than me was I think twenty seven, twenty eight or twenty seven. And then obviously I don't know, heading towards eighteen months ago. Now I went back to UNI for the second time, literally twenty years later. First time thirty six, second time fifty six doing a PhD. Nobody's going to recommend anyone's start a PhD at fifty six. That's a stupid idea. And by the way, Craig, why are you doing it? You don't need to. You've done well, you're successful, you've made a few bucks, you're doing all right, it's all right. What do you do? You know? But if I wasn't fifty six, people wouldn't be saying that. Yes, if I was thirty nine and I just finished my first degree. People would be going, well, that's a natural progression, Craig, well done, because you just did your undergrad you're doing this and now you've stepped up to that and dah da dah. But at fifty six, most people's curiosity is not around why am I doing a PhD in europsychology or their main fascination is not tell me about your research to their main fascination is why are you doing it? And what they really mean is why the fuck are you doing it? You'll be sixty when you finish, like what four? And I go why not? And no one wants to go because you're fifty six. But that's kind of what they're thinking. And this is one of the stories we tell ourselves, is we go, well, yeah, but you've done, you know, Like, imagine if fifty or forty five, Imagine if that's the time for some people anyway at one hundred percent, Imagine if forty five is where you start to fucking hit your straps as it possible one hundred percent. What if forty five is the time where you start to really or thirty five or forty or fifty five or whatever is the time where you really start to open the door on the exciting shit and learning and growing. I know one hundred percent, no, so that my brain works better now than when I was in my twenties. Yeah, and that's not meant to happen, like my ability to do lots of shit, to be productive, to be present, to focus, to study, to produce good outcomes, to maintain my physical, mental, emotional an academic from one of a better word energy, it's better than it's ever been. But that's it's not better ever than it's ever been because that was predetermined because I'm doing the work.
Speaker 2: That's exactly what I was going to say. It didn't just happen that way. It's because you've worked on it. You've made that kind of happen, you've been conscious of it, and you've taken active steps to make sure that you're in that place.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, and look, I think I think that you know, the reality is that we do live in an ageis paradigm most of us. Where you know, if you if you've got certain skills and experience and talent and ability and you're twenty eight and you go for a job or you're the same person but you're fifty eight. Unfortunately, we live in a system that most employers will disadvantage you because you're fifty eight. And I don't agree with that, but I get it. I understand it because they're interested in their welfare, not yours. And I think, you know it's it's really you know, so many people that I've spoken to, and everyone's spoken to somebody and heard something similar, But so many people that I've spoken to have said a version of this. Wasn't my plan. This wasn't where I meant to end up. I didn't think. I didn't think at this age i'd be doing this. I didn't think that my life, my experience, my outcomes, my reality would be this. And I understand that, completely understand that. And then my next question is, Okay, so you aren't where you thought or hoped or dreamt you might be. Okay, so you've still got you know, you're forty, You've maybe got another forty years, maybe got another fifty, who knows. We don't know how much time you got, but what we know is you're not dead. What we know is you live in Australia or you live in a first world country. Most people who listen to this anyway, and what we know is you know you can still make decisions, you can still change behavior, you can still get uncomfortable, and even if it's a tiny step in a new direction, a tiny step can you take. No, you can't reinvent yourself over the next week, or you can't turn your life upside down today. We get that. And you can't find a brand new career by lunchtime. We get all of that, right, But let's get out of all of the reasons and all of the things that we can't do because we get it. We know it's hard, yep. We know that life's not fair. Yep. We know people picked on you. Yep. We know that ageism exists. Yep, we know all the bad shit. We're not pretending the bad shit isn't real. But what I'm saying to you you now, in this moment in your life, is what is possible for you to do to change your life? What is possible? What can you do to change the direction, to change your operating system, to change your outcomes, to live your purpose? Like, here are some questions. So if you want to if for some of you this is turning, didn't intend it to, but fuck, here we go. If this is turning, into something of a coaching session. I'm going to give you some questions. My first question is this right now, when I say all of this stuff, all of you know, I think you know. If you don't, you're about to know, because I'm going to tell you. I'm not pretending that any of this is quick, easy, fast, or painless. I'm not pretending that. But guess what, every single one of you, hopefully in five years you're going to be five years older. Well, let's be honest, you're going to be dead, or you're going to be five years older. Let's hope that all of you listening to this are just going to be five years older. So in twenty twenty six, you're going to be five years older. I guess depends on when you listen to this, and your life is going to be the same. It's going to be a bit better, it's going to be a lot better. It's going to be wildly better, or it's going to be a bit worse or a lot worse, or it's going to be catastrophe. That's the truth. It's going to be somewhere on the scale between fucking horrendous and fucking amazing. I don't know where it is right now. But what I know is that the next five years is going to happen anyway. The next year is going to happen anyway, the next two years, three four years are going to happen anyway, and you're going to be there. You're going to be in the middle of those years. You're going to be in the middle of that reality. You're going to be in the middle of your life. Your life is going to continue. Things are going to happen. People are going to be shit adds to you. People are going to be amazing to you. COVID's going to come and go. Things are going to happen, good stuff, bad stuff. And then in the middle of all of that is you and your questions. Is you and your energy? Is you and your thinking and your choices, is you and your behaviors? Is you and the reality that you create? You and your stories? So here are some questions. So my first question is what can I learn? What can I learn? Is it possible that my age, whatever your age, that I can learn new things? Is it possible that I can develop new skills? Number two? What's possible for me? What's possible for me, not what's probable, not what's likely, not what does my past tell me, but what is possible. See, what's possible is that you can do some fucking incredible stuff when you get out of your own way. That's possible. If we look at most people and we look at typical human behavior. It's not likely, it's not common, it's not probable, but it's possible. So when I'm working with people, I don't care about life. I don't care about probable. I care about what could you do? What could you do? What could you change? What could you become? What could you achieve? What could you conquer? What could you do if you were brave? What could you do if you did the work? What could you do if you made the decisions? What could you do if you didn't do what most people do? What could you do? And then the next question is will you do it? And we always kind of circle back to this, don't we We always circle back away from the theory and into the practice, into the habit, into the behavior, into the execution. Because, as I've said many times on this podcast, and as you won't hear lots of programs or in lots of books, or although you do hear it, but probably not enough is that it isn't about the theory, It isn't about what come out of my mouth today on this podcast, because all I am is stimulating you. I'm provoking you, I'm teaching you. I'm hopefully inspiring you to do something. And the reason that I'm doing all of this is because I want you to tap into you. I want you to get past the shit beliefs and the shit self esteem and the shit stories and into the awesomeness of what you can do when you let that cognitive crap and that emotional crap get out of the way. My next question is how can I improve my cognitive function? My next question is how can I lower my biological age? In other words, how can I make my body function younger? In inverted commace? How can I get better? Whatever better means for you? How can I use more of my potential? So, wherever you are, whoever you are, whatever your age are, you are you really using If ten out of ten is your potential, what's your number? Right now? I know that I'm really having a crack with a lot of things in my life in terms of my health and my wellness and trying to be a good human and trying to learn and grow and trying to be of value to the world and humanity and my clients and my listeners, my audience. I'm really trying, and I'm very aware of my bullshit, and I'm very honest about my bullshit, of which there is plenty, and my shortcomings, of which there are plenty. I'm really having a go, and I reconom at five if my potential is ten. I reconom at five because I still give myself a get out of jail card. I still lie to myself. I still take the easy option sometimes. And this is not about beating ourself up. This is about sometimes we think, oh fuck, I'm doing everything humanly possible. Maybe some people are, but not most. Because the problem is to really tap into our potential is somewhat terrifying, because we need to open doors that we don't like opening. Because in order to tap into our potential, and I'm talking about deep into our potential, I'm talking about the fucking the amazing shit, there's going to be some pain. There's going to be some suffering, there's going to be some hardship before we start to get the rewards. And sometimes we'd rather stay on the metaphoric couch because the couch is comfortable. So what we do is we stay on the metaphoric couch and we just hope that things work out. We hope that the next five years will just present opportunities. My question is what opportunity can you create? Not what opportunity might in inverted commas come your way, but what could you create yourself? How do you practically create opportunities? How can you change your default setting? What am I wasting time and energy on right now that I can reshift into something more positive and proactive for me? One of my old man's or not one of my old man's. My old man's best friend is a guy called Gil, and I've spoken about Gil a bit. Gil's like my second dad. Gil is I think he's eighty. He's either seventy nine, eighty or eighty one, but let's go with eighty. And what I love about what I love about this man is he is he is timeless, ageless in that it never occurs to him that he's eighty. And I'm not talking about you know, he looks eighty and he just acts like a juvenile. No, he looks like a healthy, fit, strong fifty five sixty year old and every day, pretty much of his life, he lives in the bush. He or he lives in rural Victoria and he's right next to a gigantic forest. He rides his mountain bike and I'm not talking about you know, pedals up and down a dirt road three time and times and comes home. I'm talking about half day rides out in the middle of nowhere with his drink bottle and his puncture kit and riding one hundred k's or so in the bush and then comes home. You know, he's all over tech. He's all over computers, he's got drones, he's got this. I don't even want to say how much it's worth. This ridiculous used to be a truck. It's been converted to a mobile home. Like I don't know what do you call those things. It's bloody ridiculous. He maintains that him and his wife travel all over Australia to the deepest, darkest, most remote areas. And you know, one of the things that I love is when I meet with him, when I sit down with him, he doesn't do a cursory how's your life going. He will sit with me and grill me on what I'm doing and how I'm doing it, and why I'm doing it, because he wants to learn like he wanted to when I first started talking about my research with my study, he was so fascinated and he would just sit me down for an hour and ask me questions. And I'm not talking about you know how people kind of placate you where they're trying to be interested. No, he was absolutely riveted to hear about what it is I'm researching, why I'm researching it, why it matters, how I'm testing it, about the scale that I've developed, about why the world needs it, about the whole PhD process. And his questions were bloody unbelievable, and I could tell he was literally just learning something. He wasn't trying to make me feel good and all take an interest in what Craig's doing. Now, yes he was doing that, but moreover, Comma your honor. He was learning new stuff and I love that. And this is the thing, you know, we are We can't do anything about the calendar. We can't do anything about chronological aging. I can't wake up tomorrow and be fifty seven fifty six, or I can't be fifty five or I can't be thirty five or twenty five. But what I can do today and what I can do tomorrow with my fifty seven year old body, I can treat it differently. Fortunately, I treat it pretty well, so I probably don't need to make a lot of changes. But wherever you are, whoever you are, whatever your chronological age, there's no reason why you need to live that age. And as I said earlier, we're not talking about being deluded or acting young, or being immature or silly. We're talking about being fully aware of what we've got to work with. Right, I have been on the planet fifty seven years. I am an endomorph. I do have a few injuries. I'm not pretending that I'm twenty years old. But what I'm doing with this fifty seven year old thing that I have to work with, I'm choosing to optimize it. I'm choosing to optimize my brain. I'm choosing to optimize my lifestyle. I'm choosing to optimize my choices, my behaviors, and my outcomes. Consciously, I don't want to be a passenger in my aging life. I don't want to be a passenger of inevitability. Oh well, it's inevitable. You know what. There's a bit of inevitability to life, of course, but a lot of what people call inevitability to me is actually giving up. It's giving up before before we've even opened the door on our potential and our possibilities. So, boys and girls, I will leave it there. Love your guts. I hope you find some value in that. More importantly than that, I hope you do something with it. Melissa, thank you for your time, thank you, thanks to everyone. Going to be awesome, No pressure, Bobby Gats see ya,