Speaker 1: Apo Shape Production. Welcome back to another episode of Am I A Bad Mum and Podcast? We're in December. I can't believe we're in December. Where has the ear gone? Everyone talks about this, how time just goes so fast. Now do you think it's because we're overstimulated and we're always like scrolling or we're never bored, Like I just feel like time goes so fast.
Speaker 2: It is flying by it. I remember being in that blur of like the kids being under four, getting to that edge of four. You're sort of thinking nearly at school, not at school yet, we were just starting KINDI all of that stuff. Someone said to me, wait until they're at school. That's when the years passed by really quickly. And I thought, you're just saying that to me to make me feel better, but.
Speaker 1: It really was.
Speaker 2: They started school, and then because it breaks down into terms and then the terms, you've got a holiday during the school holidays, and you've got to like, it just breaks the years down so quickly.
Speaker 1: Just going back to age four, that was probably my favorite age. That's been my favorite age age four.
Speaker 2: Yep, I didn't enjoy three. Someone, you know, everyone talks about those terrible twos and you're like, I got through both, like three major my kids. Yeah, And I got through two and was like feel thank god, like that was actually not that bad. Three was like devil spawn, like you're like, whoa, where did you come from? And why are you mine? And then coming off the back of a weekend with my nephew who is currently three and a half, mate, he's no better. I looked at my sister and I was like, I'm sorry, but I'm so glad that's not me.
Speaker 1: Am I bad mum for enjoying the repercussions. My kids are on school holidays now, yes, so they've finished up. They're on the never ending school holidays two months, two months.
Speaker 2: It's a bit too much, you've asked me. So they do have jobs now, so I'm okay with that. I think that they should be at work at least how many days, four to five days a week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but they're not getting that many shifts. So what I've realized about casual workers, these particular fast food places, they employ so many casual workers that they don't get enough shifts. So yeah, they go and do their couple of shifts a week, but they're certainly not there every day.
Speaker 2: Which is sadly a lot of downtime for them.
Speaker 1: Oh Amelia got so excited the other day she was rostered on a Sunday. She was like, do you know how much money I get on Sunday? I think it's double time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they can't work more than three hours, right.
Speaker 1: I think during school time. I think holidays is different.
Speaker 2: So good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I am at the point where I'm like, maybe you should think about getting a second job because you're not going to get enough shifts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was going to say that, why didn't they blows my mind that they didn't try for any of the stores that they actually like to purchase things from.
Speaker 1: I think they'd be too embarrassed that they would see people that they know come in those shops.
Speaker 2: But like City Beach, you're like any of them City Beach.
Speaker 1: I don't know. It's cool when I was like, I hate I get swimmers from City Beach, mate.
Speaker 2: I don't think my ass cheek would fit in the swims from.
Speaker 1: So I get proper full like one piece ones. Yeah I'm not. My stomach is not being shown. Thanks kids.
Speaker 2: Holes.
Speaker 1: No, it's not their fault, it's the wine, which is their fault.
Speaker 2: That's another repercussion of them.
Speaker 1: So what happened was last day of school finished mid day, which I think is quite common for most of the schools to finish at lunchtime. For whatever reason, the.
Speaker 2: Grades very don't they like one might finish it a set time.
Speaker 1: It feels like it's just annoying for the parents, if I'm honest, because you take them to school, they're literally only going to be there a couple of hours. What are they doing on no assembly or something, saying goodbye, and then you have to pick them up at mid day. Anyway, in the lead up, they had an assignment which they had not finished, and this is something that they need for next year, so it's some sort of preparation for next year, a set plan something like that. Anyway, they hadn't finished it, and I kept saying, you haven't finished a set plan, like I'm getting emailed from your teacher. You're getting the emails. I can see you on it, and you haven't finished it yet, and they're like, oh yeah. Anyway, it turns out that morning that they were going for their last day at school on the Friday. I said, don't forget, you need to get that finished. Oh but I don't have time now. I said, you do it on the way to school. Do it when get to school, like just get it done, like anyway, Like it's my fault. It's always my fault.
Speaker 2: It was your fault. You actually asked the teacher to give them that assignment.
Speaker 1: So then yeah, and then I said to them, all right, I'll see it twelve. I'll be here to pick you up at twelve. My plan rate was for it to be all lovely. I was going to pick them up at twelve, take them for lunch somewhere like sushi train or somewhere like that, and then we were going to go get our nails done. I thought, that's a really nice thing to do. Last day of school. First of all, we get an email from the teacher just to let you know that the girls will be staying behind after school today to finish off their set plans.
Speaker 2: It was like, brilliant.
Speaker 1: And then I get texts from them saying we've got to stay. We're going to be here till about one thirty.
Speaker 2: I was like, no, my problem, okay.
Speaker 1: My role, but right. The thing is is that when I saw that email, despite the fact that I'd planned for a nice afternoon. When I saw that email come through from the teacher, I was like, yes, thank goodness, holding them accountable. They have to stay there, they have to get it done because they knew going to school that day. We're not going to bother. No one's even going to say anything. It's the last day. We're just going to leave at twelve, skip out of the door. Don't have to do it. Why do we have to do it? So I was really pleased for the repercussions. And what I've realized is that I am wanting the teachers to do things like that because nothing that I say makes any difference.
Speaker 2: Yea, the kids technically should be holding themselves accountable, but we all know that that is hard sometimes, especially when it's the last day of school. I love that they did that.
Speaker 1: I think it's great.
Speaker 2: And there's only a few weeks ago that you were ringing their teachers saying you need to make sure that they're accountable because one of them missed an assignment or something. Yeah, and you were like basically asking them for help because what I'm doing is still not working, so help me try and make it land for them to understand that they have to hand stuff in yep, and so now that's what they're doing.
Speaker 1: I've got a saying that I constantly use in our house, and it's you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink. And I feel like I say it all the time. Even that example of Holly not getting our assignment done but spending an hour scrolling TikTok, I was like, I literally don't understand you. I do not understand you. You can lead a horse to water. They even said to me the other day, what does that even mean? Because I just go to a horse and.
Speaker 2: Get them to try and do it. Genuinely, you can't. You just can't. If the horse does not want to drink, it will not drink. You can't even force its head down.
Speaker 1: No. And I say to them all the time, I was like, I gave you the education on healthy eating, I've given you the education on drinking water. Like, literally, there's not much more I can do.
Speaker 2: You're on your own.
Speaker 1: Lead a horse to water, water head down near it.
Speaker 2: It's just gonna throw you, just gonna say I don't want to do it. They won't do it. Maybe that's what they need to do. Maybe that's their part time job. They could look after someone's horse or something they would love that. I know. That's what I mean. You meant to find something that you love. You live around the corner from horses, don't you.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So then tell them to just go and hit up whoever owns them, and then.
Speaker 1: Oh, rach, this is probably a discussion for another time. They did do that. They did do that. The owner of the horses. They left a note on the gate asking if she wanted any help with them.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, did she not reply?
Speaker 1: No? She died?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I didn't know that.
Speaker 1: Yes, who's looking after the horses?
Speaker 2: I don't know the horse.
Speaker 1: One of the horses died afterwards too. Oh god, this is a whole other This is like.
Speaker 2: A whole traumatic experience right at the end of a bloody.
Speaker 1: What happened was the daughter of the lady ended up calling them, finding the note, saying I'm so sorry. The mum passed away, and then the horse passed away. Maybe it was probably just hanging in yeah.
Speaker 2: Wow, would have finished. Okay, scrap that back to the drawing board.