Speaker 1: This is the Chrissy's One show. We're talking dress ups, all right, dress up parties. I really believe that there are two very distinct camps, those that will not attend a party if there is a dress up theme and those that get very excited at the news. Give us a call. And the reason we're talking about this is because a poor woman has had to uninvite twenty five guests, what twenty five that she had on the original list to her wedding because it's a Halloween dress up theme. It's a Halloween dress up theme.
Speaker 2: More I hate her? Well, like, okay, we know, like how awful. Let me who wants to go to a wedding looking like more tsha, Like no.
Speaker 1: There's ways to do it. And I will explain that twenty five of them have been uninvited because they have said, we don't want to come to your wedding if we have to dress up as a skull or a sexy zombie or whatever. Yeah, it's a Halloween party. It's her wedding. She gets to decide that is true. And not only did some of the guests get invited because they didn't want to dress up, some of them went so far as to say that the wedding is satanic. The wedding is satanic now, and we can't we can't be involved. You can hear it, can't you. Well, I'm not going to dress blah, this' Satan's work.
Speaker 2: God wouldn't have wanted it.
Speaker 1: God, there's no to dressiner skeletor so I say, no, I love a dress up party, do yes. And the weird thing is is that I didn't know that I loved them until this story came up, because I thought I didn't. I thought I was clearly in the no I couldn't be bothered camp. But the fact of the matter is that when there has been a theme over the last thirty years, I have run with it. Exhibit a our work party where you had dress up as an icon. I put in so much effort for my Janet Jackson outfit.
Speaker 2: You looked elite.
Speaker 1: It involved going to a locksmith and getting keys yes to wear his ear rings.
Speaker 2: And then that very Christmas party, I had bleach blonde hair and I went as Justin Tim Blake or something, and you went and found me an MTV T shirt. Yeah, the pink MDV T shirt you styled me for that.
Speaker 1: Like I obously get into it. And I think the reason is I once had a dress up party, okay, and it was come as your favorite eighties musician, and I can't remember what I came as, but I remember being I remember laughing so hard when my friend Rob de Carlo turned up as weird Al Yankovic.
Speaker 2: He looked, that's.
Speaker 1: Great, so like him. It was so funny that I couldn't laugh hard enough, you know, and it brought so much joy, and I think at that moment I went, oh, I love this. I love this.
Speaker 2: Also, it shows that your mates really love you to putting the effort to go dressed up as those sort of icons, because it takes a lot. I just hate it because I'm like, let me just come as me and enjoy myself. I don't feel my best when I'm dressed up looking like a clown, so I just want to come looking good as me, and then I will bring the party.
Speaker 1: And every party you turn up, you come as an icon. Let's be honest, is made now. I think this is why you don't like it. Why is because you just as evidenced by Today's to do list and every Tuesdays to do list. No, you're the effort that you put into your looks. Every time you have a function of any sort that's your hobby.
Speaker 2: It feels creative. I like fashion and styling and.
Speaker 1: Juries, I know, and then if somebody takes that away from you and tells you what you're going to wear, You're like, this is a missed opportunity for me to get valet parking at Chatston the Compassion Capital and shop up a storm, Like what is Westfield going to do without you? For this occasion?
Speaker 2: Should be my psychologist wanting your spot on where do you stand?
Speaker 1: Do you hate dress ups? Do you love them? What are the efforts that you've gone to to either turn up or avoid them? The Chrissy Swan show. We're talking about dress up parties, and I have hosted them in the past, and I have put in a lot of effort into them in the past, and you're the exact opposite.
Speaker 2: I really don't like them, but I love a party so much that I will go even if I do have to dress up. But I still lothe every second.
Speaker 1: Year, marrus. Because you're not people aren't seeing you in your sheekest form, and I understand that I've just been sent a text message. My friend Wade is listening and he's obviously saved. This is my you know what do you call them? The buzzers with the screens of the Commentah, my intercom, This is him turning up for a party at my place. Explain to everybody what it is.
Speaker 2: Wade has quite literally come as the Easter bunny.
Speaker 1: He is there on my screen in a bun and I texted you make I said, what was the theme? Again? He goes, there wasn't one. That's just how I turned up the best. So were asking you thirteen twenty four to ten? Uh, theme dressed parties? Yes or no? Hello? Heather? Hi?
Speaker 2: How are you?
Speaker 3: Hi?
Speaker 1: You live for a theme party, don't you? Heah?
Speaker 4: I live just to dress, that's mate.
Speaker 3: It doesn't matter.
Speaker 5: There doesn't have to be a party.
Speaker 3: I go to work and if I've got hot pink shoes on, I've got hot think there.
Speaker 1: Oh I love it, Heather. Do you have what my friend Jane Hall refers to as novelty hair? Oh?
Speaker 3: Look, I had just all sorts of colored hair.
Speaker 1: Mates.
Speaker 2: Whatever the day, it's like, color it? Yes?
Speaker 1: What is your favorite? What are your favorite words to see on a party invitation? In regards to themes, like I like an eighties music theme. That is my oove. What's yours? No?
Speaker 4: I like to go dressed as an animal from the zoo Heaven.
Speaker 3: I'm only five. I'm only five foot two and I went.
Speaker 2: Dressed as at giraffe. When you say you color your hair, are we talking like when I was in grade two and you buy this like colored hair cans? Is that how you're coloring it?
Speaker 3: No? No, no, no, I buy the semi permanent Wow. Yeah last for about four weeks.
Speaker 1: Color Heather is full novelty hair God. I hope Jane.
Speaker 2: Hall Priceline Farmacy voucher for you, Heather. You can put that towards some novelty hair you.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, they do all the colors of the rainbow, Priceline High Tanya.
Speaker 3: Oh hi, guys, there you go.
Speaker 1: It says here you're calling from the Sunshine Coast. Please house Sugar Road has Aerodrome Road.
Speaker 3: At the moment, it's getting busier, lovely, you know the.
Speaker 1: Good old day's tenure when you can when you could just go wherever you like to pass the sizzler there. All right, what is your favorite dress up party?
Speaker 3: Okay, so I actually got tricked into my own dress up party. So I was I had a birthday coming up that I didn't know. They'd organized a surprise birthday party with people interstate and everything. In the mean time, another one of my friends had sent invitations about their dress up party, so we all went and got out and costumes ready. But then when I rocked up up my own party, everyone was dressed up in that theme and they had that outfit that I picked from the shop for me to put on for my own party.
Speaker 1: That is genius, how elaborate.
Speaker 2: They are some friends that love you too to go to that effort and like concoct that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, it was just fantastic.
Speaker 1: We should talk about surprise parties next. Just quickly tell you what was your favorite costume of the night?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 3: Mine was this massive massive afro and these this awesome psychedelic dress and big knee high boots and stuff.
Speaker 2: Vibe Pharmacy voucher for you tan dress up party. You love them or hate them? Love them.
Speaker 6: I do a Halloween party every year and you're not allowed through the door if you're not a costume.
Speaker 1: What okay? So if you invited Jack and he was like yes, round and I'm going to come. I'm going to bring a bottle of grey Goose or whatever the cool kids are drinking. But he was just in his, you.
Speaker 2: Know, waking monochrome outfit.
Speaker 1: What would you say to him?
Speaker 7: No, he's really got to think of someone that wears that exact outfit, or you can enjoy your great group.
Speaker 1: Well, if you're in black and white, you could be you could have been going his beetle geez.
Speaker 2: True. More likely, someone like I could have said, Hey, Jacob, a lordie just stepped off the runway in Paris. I'm dressing up as him.
Speaker 1: That's a lie and you're getting out of it.
Speaker 2: No, I'd find I'd find a reference.
Speaker 1: Rihannam says No, Catherine, have we finally got one that doesn't like theme parties?
Speaker 6: I absolutely hate theme parties. There's too much effort, take too much time. If you do put it in an effort, and not enough people seem.
Speaker 1: To pick it.
Speaker 6: So I just prefer to go as I am, unique as me.
Speaker 2: But Catherine, see, you can't even find a good argument.
Speaker 1: It doesn't make sense everyone else everyone's in the same boat.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but some people go awful on out.
Speaker 6: It's also super expensive and if you don't do it the expensive way, everyone knows it's half half hazard.
Speaker 7: Yeah type of effort.
Speaker 1: It is true, it is worth right, it is. You can always tell the people that have come half fast, I.
Speaker 2: Know, but they come half fast in everyday life with their outfit. It's that's just the kind of person.
Speaker 1: After the Chrissy Swan Show, the Chrissy Swan Show, we're talking about unbelievably thrifty shortcuts you've taken at big events, and give us a call. If you know four and twenty pies? Did you catering via the supermarket?
Speaker 6: True?
Speaker 1: Or if you're anything like Lana del Ray who spent four hundred dollars on a dress she just got married. She spends four hundred bucks on a dress.
Speaker 2: From an opshop, good on it.
Speaker 1: I love this. I would do that. And if I'm at Savers or like Vini's or something, they often have wedding dresses there.
Speaker 2: I think it takes a certain type of person to get a with those Swani like you could, Lana could? You guys are both ever vescent pusses, so you have it within you to be able to do that.
Speaker 1: I feel like anyone could if you've.
Speaker 2: Got me eye. Yeah, you got to have the eye and some people you've got to be stylish to know how to make it work.
Speaker 1: Well, she was in New Orleans? Was a New Orleans? Well yeah, I was gonna say, oh, Louisiana, which is just a word I like to say. She was in New Orleans, which incidentally is where I got my fringed Taylor Swift jacket that I wore to the ERASTI yes, at great expense. I had it shipped over, trust me. That was not from a fifth thrift shot Anyway. There was a thrift short store there called Trashy Diva, and she popped in months ago and picked up this dress. Now she's only just gotten married, so I wonder if she'd been engaged this whole time, because this was back in May she bought the dress.
Speaker 2: I think she must have known back then she was going to Yeah. I think you would have to, because otherwise, like who cares, or unless she was waiting for him to pop the question. But I reckon she knew, and I reckon these guys have been like more serious.
Speaker 1: So you didn't know his ex fiance?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, She's.
Speaker 1: I'm like, ah, sorry, what what's going on? I didn't even know that he'd moved on, but anyway, he clearly has and she has worn it is a spectacular dress.
Speaker 2: It's like full Bridgeton because those secret photos and videos have emerged of them getting married, and there's like an aerial drone shot and it looks like she's on the side of Bridgeton.
Speaker 1: Yes, all like come gone with the wind, Gone with the wind. And her hair is sort of in some up some down with a long sort of trailing piece over the shoulder, and it's got lots of flatzy off the shoulder bits, lots of layers and petticoats and all of that. And he looks very smart. He looks a lot smarter than the speed dealer look that he was sporting on the Alligator too that we saw last.
Speaker 2: Time with that Bogan camo hoodie. My favorite part of this story, though, Swany, is that she married him at his airboat tours business. Yes, where they do the croc tours. Yes, like, surely, Yu, Lana Delray, surely you go to Chateau Marmon or pick a better venue.
Speaker 1: No, I think we've got her wrong. I don't think she's clearly she's not who we think she is. Yeah, she's not a fancy lady. But if she's going to do this.
Speaker 2: Somewhere better than the boat.
Speaker 1: Time, I love this about it. I feel like that that is effervescent plus action right there is to just give zero hoots and wear a thrift store dress. And I reckon they probably just had, you know, food from the locals.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, And I reckon they would have had Crocs in some of their wedding picks. Surely they went out on a boat at.
Speaker 1: Least croc shoes. Yeah. I had a win, a thrifty win. On the weekend. I was entertaining for quite a lot of people for the grand finalist aganza, and I made mini sliders. Do you know what they cost me per slider? Under a dollar?
Speaker 2: How?
Speaker 1: And do you know how I got? You know those? It's like a supermarket brand of organic meat. It was on quick sale, great, already rolled in meatballs, oh perfect, squashed them. There's your burger right there, there's your paddick.
Speaker 2: And what rolls or bread rolls did you little.
Speaker 1: Mini briot a dairy lee cheddar. They were so good under a dollar a slider.
Speaker 2: That is savvy Swanny, the crispy Swan show.
Speaker 1: And big congrats to Lana del Rey who got married over the weekend to her croc man, her croc dude call. We just enjoy this song.
Speaker 8: She's extraordinary, she is, and she's really shocked me with the marriage to this croc dude, because I never pictured her as the kind of girl that would wear op shop dressed to her wedding in Louisiana at an airboat croc tour far.
Speaker 1: Maybe this is the whole vibe. Maybe you know, she's frying bacon and doing eggs sunny side up in a mini skirt and a trailer and he's whacking her on the bum with a spatul saying, you've seen me a soul. You're pretty little songbird.
Speaker 2: Tell me about those video games.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe this is the new herd. But she did buy her wedding dress for four hundred bucks from a thrift shop. And I love this sort of story because you know, I've got an example. Look at this skirt.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I told you. The first thing I said to you today was that's an elite outfit.
Speaker 1: He said to me, look at that is an elite outfit. That is a great skirt. I said, you won't believe her I got it from. Check it out? Where do you think I got it from?
Speaker 2: Well, I'm probably going to get this right because I know you Camar Tim.
Speaker 1: Of course, six dollars thirty four delivered.
Speaker 2: That is elite.
Speaker 1: It's not bad. Thirty My son is going.
Speaker 2: Look at this slay thirty twenty four to ten. Biggest shortcut you've made for a big event.
Speaker 1: Renee, Hello, Renee hello, I mean you have not only had a shortcut, you are an investment banker.
Speaker 2: I did.
Speaker 7: I made money on it.
Speaker 1: Tell me the story.
Speaker 7: So I bought my It was a designer wedding dress on eBay and it was myashi. It was one thousand dollars and it was the exact dress that I want to add that was over three thousand dollars and I ended up selling it after my wedding and made a profit of two hundred dollars.
Speaker 1: Renee, you are a genius. What brand is the dress? By the way, I just want to know.
Speaker 7: It was Grace cloves lace, Oh.
Speaker 1: Very fancy. And you've got the photos. You got to wear the dress and you made some money.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 7: You can't get any better.
Speaker 1: That is genius. And what is the point in hanging onto your wedding dress anyway, you're never going to get it out again.
Speaker 2: No, to a bit. And it's also a bit weird when, like I know, for sometimes for Halloween, people get them out or they get them out for costumes, and I'm like, doesn't that sort of taint the day you wore the dress? I think it's creepy too, but I know people would have done it. Priceline Pharmacy voucher for you, Renee.
Speaker 1: En, Hi, how are you? How much did you spend on your high wedding outfit that you went to in four Douglas?
Speaker 4: Spent ten dollars, four dollars for the shoes, six dollars for the dress. And I forgot to say, I bought a diamond bracelet and I'm not lying from the Salvation Army for a dollar and my girlfriend bought it off on me after the wedding and she gave me one hundred dollars for it.
Speaker 1: So what was the dress like that you paid six dollars?
Speaker 4: Oh, it's beautiful. It was like strapless black lace, white lace and a cream underlay. And the shoes were beautiful black shoes. But I forgot to leave. I left the price on them. Then I was saying, I broke my wrists at the wedding on the dance floor, and I had to afpital and I stay in hospital all night. But I still had the price of the shoes stuck on the bottom of the tree. My fistess just laugh that me.
Speaker 1: But eleven dollars for a whole outfit in accessories, that's.
Speaker 2: Good, That's amazing, Jenny. I just want to circle back to the broken wrists. What were you dancing to? What was the song?
Speaker 4: Oh? I think it was like one of those you know where the congo lines, you know, where you hold onto people, and you danced around and my hill got caught in the masking tape around the dance for and yes, and that the whole night and lovely hospital.
Speaker 1: Thank god you didn't spend three hundred dollars on it out.
Speaker 2: Je price on pharmacy voucher for you, Joe, Now.
Speaker 1: Beck, this is diabolical what happens at your fast food store.
Speaker 5: So we have a customer that cones the own catering business. He calls up orders his chicken that he would like to have packed in the boxes that he makes us packed that he brings in and then he'll go give it to the customer saying that he made it himself.
Speaker 1: What So, just say, I'm having a fancy party and I go to this private, fancy caterer, Jim's Snacks, and he says, yes, we do little dumb chicken tenders lovely, and I'm like, great, I'll have a hundred of those. Thanks. He goes to you and gets them put in his boxes and then he delivers them to me.
Speaker 5: Yes, pretty much exactly what he does.
Speaker 1: That is genus. The Chrissy Swim Show is a Nova podcast. For more great comedy shows like this, head to novapodcast dot com. Are you