Speaker 1: From The Australian. He is was on the front. I'm Claire Harvey. It's Thursday, April nine, twenty twenty six. Then Roberts Smith will remain behind bars after he was arrested on murder chargers. The VC Recipients lawyers didn't apply for bail on Wednesday, meaning he'll be held on remand until at least next Friday. Iranian civilians who were preparing for further strikes by American forces now fear for their lives under the regime after Iran and America agreed to a two week ceasefire deal. That stories live right now at the Australian dot Com dot a U. Australian design startup Canva killed off graphic design as a career choice by making everyone a designer. Now the ultimate disruptor is itself being disrupted by the rise of vibe coding, where any one can tell an AI tool to do something magical. Today. Is Canva actually making money and can it survive this moment? John Stenzel edits the list Australia's riches to fifty and so he gets a great insight into what's really going on at some of our most prominent companies. John, I must admit I was kind of shocked to read a story by you that said that Canva is not really as profitable as we might think, and there's some technical differences here. But first, just give me the big picture. Is Canvas making a profit or not?
Speaker 2: Well, you don't really want to get into gap accounting and other various measurements because we'll be here all day and I think they're listening smoke a little bit bored. But yeah, absolutely, Look, it all depends on whether you want to do it by the general accounting principles that all the companies have got to use here in Australia, whether you're talking whether they're cash flow cash flow profitable or not so. In the latter which is offered a measurement of how tech companies do these things. Now, the reason they do these things because it looks better that way, right, and also because they pay their they pay their employees and the way of attracting employees through stock based compensation, which means that they effectively go, we'll pay you some in cash, we'll pay you some in shares, and then when those shares explode on the stock exchange, you'll make lots of money as a result. Now there's an accounting measurement where they've got to compensate that on the balance sheet and it makes their profits look less. But they're basically saying that we are making a lot of money, just not in the standard ways that you think we might be doing it. We're doing it through other ways. So yes in a way, but no in another way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess the test for any business, whether it's a fish and chip shop or a giant tech startup, is do you have enough money to kind of reinvest in things that you need to be buying? In canvas case, it's doing a massive renovation on a big city building in Sydney and it's buying all sorts of other companies, does it have the cash on hand to do those things?
Speaker 2: As of December thirty one, twenty twenty four, which is the last time that these accounts Resting Lodge with Assex show. By the way, they're about fifteen months late, so I'm not sure what Daykiva is doing to get things on it in on time. But anyway, they had about six hundred ninety nine million dollars in cash on its balance sheet, so yes, they do have a lot of cash. Now they've raised cash from investors, they've got to use it for certain things. They've made acquisitions, they are doing that property renovation as you say, they are expanding globally, they are hiring a lot more people, they're having to deal with AI, so they do have a lot of cash. Not necessarily profitable in a normal sense.
Speaker 1: Though I use Canva every day, so do so many people across the Australian economy and the world, of course, and it's meant that a huge productivity advance is available for people like me who are not graphic designers but need to use kind of graphic design elements. They really helped businesses like ours make a big productivity leap. They also decimated the job market for graphic designers overall. Has Candra in that way been a success.
Speaker 2: It's incredible how popular it is around the world. So they're saying now they've got more than two hundred and sixty five million monthly active views, so it's huge. I mean, can you imagine that's what ten times the population of Australia, right, I mean, it's incredible this success story that an Australian based business has become on a global basis and how easy it has made things for a lot of people. Now you know, it's constantly evolving. They're going to have to deal with competition as time goes on. But yes, from a user point of view, it's staggering how popular this is a company that was founded by a couple of young Australians in Melanie Perkins and ow husband Quiff obrack in Camera Addams as well, who's still there and they're all billionaires in our list, But just it's hard to think of what else has become so popular from Australia so quickly. Now, obviously the Internet helps things grow quickly, but the ease of their products and the amount of people that use them from primary school level up whatever it is is incredible. I mean, the success that they have made in such a quick time in that way has not been replicated by any Australian business ever.
Speaker 1: It started out with basically templates, So if you were designing a social media post for your business or a birthday invitation for your kids, canvas designers would have designed a template for you that you could adjust moving things around. Then they very quickly saw that they needed to incorporate AI into their products and that meant buying other businesses that could do AI kind of things that then they incorporated into the platform. One of those was a video generation platform called Leonardo. Has that been a good purchase.
Speaker 2: It's an incredible platform or technology that Leonardo users, but I think the jury is definitely still out on that. So a couple of my colleagues, David Ross and Tanzi Hardcore reported a little while ago, now, about a month or so ago, that Leonardo's acquisition hasn't gone as well as what the Canvas executives, the owners would have hoped to. They paid about three undred and sevny million dollars for this company that's based in North Sydney. There's been layoffs, there's been I guess a sort of recalibration of the staff that are in there. They've had to be sort of put in other places in Canvas, just you know, to say things quite simply. So I think that that maybe that technology is probably ahead of what people or consumers are able to use or able to pay for. So in that way, I think it probably hasn't been a success yet. Now look, I mean, corporate history is littered with acquisitions that don't work, and I think in this situation, the jury is I said, the jury is still out as to whether Cliff and mill have been able to pull off a successful acquisition and integrated into what Canva already has.
Speaker 1: It sort of failed to anticipate the rise of what they now call vibe coding, where you can type into an AI something like in language, make me a birthday party invitation that includes unicorns and balloons for a seven year old girl called Katie, you know, or make me a social post that speaks to my business audience about why my fish and chip shop is growing in all the right directions. That's what Canva kind of failed to anticipate, isn't it. It thought that people would want to keep doing what they were already doing on Canva, which is moving things around manually themselves, adjusting things, and not necessarily going elsewhere for that product. Did they assume that they kind of owned the idea of designing things yourself.
Speaker 2: Look, I don't think anyone in the software industry would have been the forecast how quickly AI has grown and impacted on their business, right, I mean, for now Cliff in particular, Cliffobreck has been pretty out there, pretty vivise about that you're saying, Look, AI is really good for Canvas. Canvas is actually a disruptor. Look we're fine. You know, our valuations still hold up. You know, the sixty billion dollars valuation for the company is still there. Now, I think maybe you're going to say, Claire, that we've heard this before. There's a notable company called Atlasian. It's boss mar Cannon Books made similar noses about only a couple of months ago before laying off sixteen hundred workers recently. So look, no one knows. I think how quickly AI is going to do disrupt companies that were already disruptors themselves. Now for now they're saying that it's good for them. They haven't gone public on a stock exchange yet. Now, how quickly that happens. Better be later this year or by next year, probably the latest. Maybe if that's delayed, it probably shows that there is some more issues behind the scenes that we know of.
Speaker 1: It might be that I don't own any shares in any of these companies myself, John, but I do kind of enjoy the disruptors being disrupted so quickly. When we had you on the front to talk about this year's edition, off the list Australia's Riches two fifty. You made the point that one of Atlassian's issues is that the market is saying to at Lassian, now, you know, growth is great, but we actually need you to make some profit in a very kind of old fashioned way. I feel like there's been an expectation with tech companies, maybe in the past decade, that we understand that it takes a long time to get to profitability, and what they do for the first part of their life is just grow and grow and grow. Is that changing?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, It's all been about growth, and I think when you go as it lastin has for fifteen years without making a decent profit, then people are going to start asking questions, particularly when that growth levels off. So if you're not growing, you need to be managing your costs accordingly and making that profit and giving some sort of a return to share or is whether it's dividends or what have you. So I think that's a very big test for a company like Camba. Now they're claiming a four billion dollars in US and your revenue forty percent and your growth, so that growth is still there for them, and whether that growth is going to be there for them next year and the year after. I think, look, you time will tell clearly, but it'll be a fascinating perspectus if they do go public as to what that shows has been happening more recently and more importantly, what they're projecting in the next few years after.
Speaker 1: Is there a lesson there? Do you think, John, if you and I were starting a startup in our garage today, would you be saying, look, we need to get to profit faster than previously we might have thought we did.
Speaker 2: Well they are with the company like at Lasting, for example, was very profitable very early days until when Global on the stock exchange point of view, went on the NASDEK and then the spending, the stock based compensation and other expenses kept going up and up and haven't and the growth in revenue hasn't kept up. So yeah, I think if you're going to be both high growth and decently profitable in your early days from that garage startup, you'd have the best of both worlds. Now, it's a very hard thing to pull off, obviously, it really is.
Speaker 1: I'm also kind of fearful that Canva might collapse, like I really need it now.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure it's collapsing. I think it's just a matter of where it will be valuation and financially wise.
Speaker 1: Really, John Stenzel, thank you very much. Thanks John Stenzel edits the least Australia's Riches two fifty. You can check out how the billionaires really make their money right now at Riches two fifty dot com dot au that's richest. Two five zero dot com dot Au