Speaker 1: I get a cook. What's going on?
Speaker 2: Got a Craig Anthony. I'm sitting here with my heater on all day long?
Speaker 1: See what it's I mean, it's not too bad. It's seven en today. I think it's two forty six. It's Wednesday. It's Wednesday, Arvo in the thriving metropolis. Yeah. Can you see that shit on my head?
Speaker 3: What is it?
Speaker 1: And can you see here? Can you see those?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: What's going on?
Speaker 1: So I went to the old skin doctor.
Speaker 3: Oh that's right, you've had a bit of a I went.
Speaker 1: To the old skin doctor and he went, he went, any chance you could come in more often? I'm like, that's hurtful. Have you got a payment coming up on your beach house? Chat? What's going on? Well, there's quite a bit of work. You have quite a lot of skin cancers. I'm like, oh, good So anyway, goody. So he identified all of these, well he thinks that they you know, they've got to biopsy in them. But it seems that they probably basil cell carcinomas, which are still skin cancer. But you know, it generally doesn't kill you, but it can turn into melanoma, et cetera. But anyway, so he said to me, how do you feel about about seeing a plastic surgeon, because there's you know, so I can refer to you. I go, no, I don't want to see a plastic surgeon. I go, why. He goes, well, there's quite a few. It would take like four or five visits here. I go, I'll do four or five visits here, thanks, And he goes, well, this one, so I've got one right here on my face. He goes, there'll be a scar. I go, have you seen my head? Do you think? Like? Oh my god? So anyway, I start next week. Next Thursday is round one of me getting shit to cut off me.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: Wait.
Speaker 2: When I had the one cut off the side of my head, it was it was largish, large, and the eighteen or twenty one stitches some yeah, so the eighteens it was very big. But in two weeks the stitches it was barely even a scar. I was quite sad. But I went to a plastic surgeon for that. It was amazing. So if you know, if you want that sort of cape, let me know.
Speaker 1: Well, I said to him, I've got this thing here right which is called a squire a cell, which is or he thinks it's a square. It's like a clear little thing. And he said have you ever He said, how long has that been there? I said, on and off a couple of years. He goes, what do you mean, and on and off. I go, well, I did a little bit of home surgery myself. And he goes, oh, did you? And he I said yeah. So for people thinking what is it's like the size of I don't know, like a half a matchhead or something. Right, it's a little like I got whiskers, so you can't really see it, but if you look you can. And he goes, oh, and what did that look like the medical procedure that I did at home? I said, well, I cut it off with nail clippers. And he's like, oh my god. I go, but they were sharp. I go, it came straight off. He's like, oh good, great. How did that work out? I said, well, it was pretty bloody and then it came back. He goes, yeah, yeah, well, maybe let's not use nail clippers next time. I go, all right, well you don't know, do you?
Speaker 2: You know you need to take vitamin B three. It helps protect protect skin cells from sun damage. You need to get on that vitamin B three it's very cheap.
Speaker 1: I think that ship might have sailed. I think that I think that my skinner's fucked ship has sealed. I look like a fucking desert boot and a T shirt these days.
Speaker 3: I go soon one covered in stitches. Can't see that anyway.
Speaker 1: All right, enough about my bloody skin. But the bottom liner is everyone get your skin checked. Get your skin checked. So I've been doing a series which I started the day before yesterday, and then it was meant to be five days straight. But I did a great interview yesterday with Annabel Chauncey, which you later edited. Did you have a did you just edit that like a robot or did you happen to listen to any of that?
Speaker 2: I listened to it, but on high speed, so I like to listen back on a normal speed.
Speaker 1: Right. She was great, She was great, what a great human being. Like went over to she was working in Kenya when she was or doing some stuff in Kenya as like some volunteer stuff. She was going over there to kind of assess needs. She was a Uni student, she was doing law, and there was some civil unrest and they essentially got ejected from Kenya and put into Uganda and then she just like she had no intention of doing anything or becoming a philanthropist store, you know, creating a not for profit, and then she saw all this stuff, and seventeen years later, she's now got schools in Uganda and medical centers and feeding programs and you know, she's educating kids who are now for the first time ever in their community, going to university and becoming lawyers and doctors. And it's so good. Like when I talk to people like that, you know, I realize how amazing humans can be. And you know, I think, what did she say, service before self? And you know what I found even more interesting, not more interesting, but what I found interesting in the conversation and we'll get to our topic in a moment, our topic, djure, is that I thought, oh, maybe she's got like some spiritual churchy background or some you know, some spiritual philosophy, and she's like, nah, not at all. I'm like, she's just like basically helping people, serving people, you know, is a jam and just seeing a need and trying to meet the need and so gorgeous. So anyway, if you haven't listen to that, have a listen to that now. The day before yesterday, before Annabelle, I started a series which is just around five life improving ideas, and the first one that I did was about choosing the right path, not necessarily the easy or comfortable or quick or painless path. I've spoken about that a fair bit, but you know, it's like, well, we have such a focus on the destination and the end result that we want and the prize at the end of the you know, the struggle. It's really the journey and the struggle that makes us become the best version of us. So that was all about that. I think that was That was a good little chat. And today I wanted to literally talk about making yourself the project in your own life. We should do a we should start a show called The You Projective.
Speaker 3: That sounds great.
Speaker 1: And the reason I say that is because, well, for a lot of reasons, but I first realized the power and the value of making things methodical and structured and accountable and process driven before I really even understood science. Like when I was eighteen years old, or not earlier than that. When I was fifteen years old, I started recording all my own training so I used I remember, I actually remember my first ever training book. It was a Green Exercise Book. I was living in Mwey at the time with Ron and Mary, and I used to do I would write my runs down, the distances that I would run, I would write the times. I would write how many push ups, sit ups, chin ups I've done in a day. And what I was doing was I was creating a training log. I didn't even know that term, right, I didn't even use the word training. I just used exercise, right. And you'll notice a lot of people who don't work out in gyms, they don't say the word training. They say the word at xcise, which of course is accurate. Right. But over time, I you know, like until I was about thirty thirty one or two, I recorded every day of you know, so fifteen years of workouts. And then by the time I was eight and nine, and I was recording food as well. So I was courting meals, micros, macros, what time I got up, what time I went to bed water, coffee, tea, supplements, all of that, and so I was very methodical about what I did. But the result of that for me was I really learned how my body worked. My mind was always the problem. My mind was a fucking shit vest. But I figured out how my body best worked over time, you know, being n equals one, that is me being the participant in my own research, but me also being the researcher. And then when I started started working in gyms, obviously just as an instructor, writing programs and showing people how to do stuff, a little bit of that, but more so when I started doing one on one with people as their coach, as their trainer. So by that time I was when I first started peteing, I was twenty two twenty three, and I set up my first center at twenty six. But all of my clients had a training diary or a you know, whatever we want to call it, and everything diary, a health diary where we put in all the things I said before sleep you know, sets, reps, volume, cardio, stretching, micro's, macro's, sleep supplements, all of the things that would have an impact on the end result. And so because you know, for well most of us, if not all of us, especially when it comes to food and lifestyle and our body and all the decisions that we make around this, we can be very spontaneous and emotional and periodically irrational when it comes to making decisions and driven by instant gratification and all of those things. So the idea, the long winded intro is the idea I want to talk about today is just making things strategic, being accountable, having a process, and basically creating a project that is you optimizing you in the middle of your own reality. I'll shut up after this tip and you can jump in and whether or not that is with your business, with your bank balance, with your personal growth journey, whatever that means, your academic pursuits, your physical health, your mental health. Like when we create a protocol and we have a plan and we have a structure, and we have accountability, and we have a timeline, and we have resources, and we maybe have one or two other people involved, then we create a practical reality for ourselves where it's much harder to give up. And I think that's important.
Speaker 3: This is time.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm I'm going to tell a secret that I wasn't going to tell. But I'm still not going to post all of this on my own socials. This is one of my things, but I'm going to say it on your podcast today. I last night when I woke up at one am and couldn't get back to sleep, till probably after four. In the middle of that, I made the decision to do seventy five hard, which is a protocol. And I met with someone two days ago and they were six days from finishing it, and we had a big chat, and so I committed to that last night and I one day one, and so it just reminded, you know, I needed exactly what you were talking about. I was like, you know what, there's just I need to kick myself up the bum. I need some structure and accountability, and they need some hard stuff to happen. And that's it for me today.
Speaker 1: That's great. That's great, and I think you know what's good about things like that is obviously off the back of the seventy five days you'll do. You know, you're not going to do the seventy five and then go live in the McDonald's car park and gain twenty kilos in the subsect month, but you know, you'll go from Some people think I'm against short term ish although that's not that short, but short to medium term programs. I'm definitely not. But I am I'm against people doing you know, going nuts and then doing nothing for the six months after that, you know, because It's like I put up the post the other day about my new body transformation program, and it had my new eight week body transformation program, and I scrubbed out the eight weeks and I wrote fifty years. And everyone's like, oh, that's the thing is that, you know, short term behaviors create short term results, and nobody wants short term change. Everyone wants long term change, and so you know, the long term change needs to be accompanied by or preceded by long term thinking and strategy. You know, So tell people what because the seventy five hard If you're not sure, just google it, but tell people what it is, because that is that is not for the faint heart at that shit.
Speaker 2: No, And what I like about it is it's not it's not this. I'm not doing it for this reason either. But it's not aimed to be a kind of body transformation program. It's actually a mental fortitude program. It's seventy five days of you have to do two forty five minute workouts and one of them have to be outdoors.
Speaker 3: You have to do.
Speaker 2: Drink three gallons one gallon of water, which is almost four leaders. I've been peeing like a race hourse today. Ten pages of reading, reading a real book, not audiobooks, sitting and reading, and you have to follow a diet that can be anything. So obviously I am cutting out sugar, I'm having no junk and no alcohol and whatever. So on top of that, I'm also just not sharing it at this point. So but yeah, I like that.
Speaker 3: I like that. It's you know, you have to find out.
Speaker 2: I got up this morning, I'm like, all right, you have to do forty five minutes outside. It's either going to be an now or later. Pick you think, what are you going to do? And you have to do it. And it reminded me of a year ago when you were training me for that show. And sometimes you need something to have a purpose to get you doing what you normally do.
Speaker 3: Like that mindset is normally.
Speaker 2: Typical for me, but it just hasn't been lately, and I've been you know, you just gradually let things go. You need that reminder of hey, I can get up and do hard things and excuses can't get in the way because there's no substituting this.
Speaker 1: And when you fully commit, it's like you can't be kind of committed. It's like you can't kind of jump off a cliff like you're fucking you're jumping off the cliff or you're not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, showing yourself that you're not, that you're not lying, that you don't have to lie to yourself.
Speaker 3: You're not a liar.
Speaker 1: Do you know what I love the most about what you've said. I love And I don't mean this to sound in any way disparaging because I fuck around with you with you posting shit or the time, which I actually like, I just fuck with you, But but I would love you to post zero about this until it's finished, and then I would like you to do an episode or two, or a post or whatever, an interview with me, whatever on you know, just doing it where there are there's no one. There's no accolades, there's no daily reports people going oh you're fucking amazing, like fuck all that, Like just where there's no instant gratification, there's no ego stroking, there's no kind of pumping up of the self esteem. It's just you and you, like I think they're the best things. Where it's just that's like why I recommend you, know my protocol of going somewhere by yourself, well at least three days, preferably ten and just you and you, no phone, no computer, no television, no media, no social media, no friends, no family, just you and your thoughts and feelings and fucking you know, just trying to figure out when there are zero distractions, like what comes up and when everything's turned off? Who am I then? And when no one's paying attention? Who am I? Then? Yeah? I'm really interested. That's I don't know if I would last. To be honest, I don't know if I would last. That is, And I think, you know, there's this question that I've asked a thousand times, and that is what's your post motivation strategy? Like what happens once you're not? I don't mean for you, I just meant in general for our listeners. It's like, why do we need structure, accountability process, Why do we need plan what? Because most people, with their body, with their training, I say most with their food, with their genetic potential, with their time, with their lifestyle, with their habits, most people are not strategic. Most people just fucking stumble along and then wake up at forty seven and go, oh my god, how did I end up here? Or because you didn't have a plan, you know, you didn't you didn't follow anything. There was no structure, there was no self control, there was no discipline. And this is not hate, This is just you know, this is just self awareness and honesty. At some stage, you know, we need to go without beating ourselves up. Oh that sun is really shining in the window. Hang on, you can keep it going. I'm just pulling down the blind hairds. You just keep rolling because I was getting.
Speaker 3: Fucking any some on that skin hat.
Speaker 1: We don't need more sun on this. But at some stage you've got to go, Okay, I'm the solution. But I've also been the problem in my own story because I did all this dumb stuff. And yeah, we can go oh but ah, but ah, but and I get it. I get it there. You know, there are lots of variables and it's not easy to do the things we need to do. I concur I agree, we'll get this.
Speaker 2: The guy Chris is the guy that I'll speaking to that's doing it in six days from finishing and three weeks in he broke his ankle, still doing it, and he works eighty to one hundred hours a week. He's the most successful person I sat and talked about. He's like, so I work eighty one hundred hours a week, but you find time, you find ninety minutes.
Speaker 3: It's easy. You just get it done.
Speaker 2: I put an appointment in the diary and I just get it done and I broke my ankle. I was like, oh, well, well I can't run then I have to do this, like and that just that inspired me to hear someone say that and just look at him.
Speaker 3: His vibrant.
Speaker 2: He's successful, he's just getting it done. And I was like, yeah, that's yeah.
Speaker 3: I love that. Well, I'm going to get it done too.
Speaker 1: Well. When you truly fully commit something, then you know, like he's fully committed. And if you are literally fully committed, then you'll just find a way to do it. And of course, and this is the the circular conversation that we have at the U Project is no, it's not easy. No it's not convenient. No it's not instant, No it's not painless. But nonetheless, people will still spend fucking decades looking for the easy, painless, instant, you know, convenient path and then one day, like eventually, eventually we either get sick and die or hopefully a better option, we go okay, So there is no shortcut, all right, There is no fucking magic pill. But hopefully people figure this out sooner than later, you know, like it's you know, you can still turn things around in your older years, but it's easier and better if you figure it out earlier and you do something about it earlier, you know, because it's just like that whole thing of you know, you can get a new house, and you can, and you doo have more money that I can't get another body. That's it. You got one, So you got one. It doesn't matter how you rationalize and justify and talk and explain, and you still just got the one body though you still only got that one.
Speaker 2: Can't get another, and even you only get the one life. And because the reason that this attracts me right now has got nothing to do with body and everything to do with I like me better when I'm the person that does those things. I function better, I'm more productive, I'm happier, I'm better to beat around, I perform better. I like that version of Tiff, and the version of Tiff that doesn't do those things, well, then that's just a bit miserable. So there's but a lot of people, myself included, at times we go, oh a little bit frumpy, I gotta lose some weight.
Speaker 3: I've got to get fitter, I've got to get leaner.
Speaker 2: We go look for the body thing, but it's actually the gift is in who I become in all parts of my life. When I embody these behaviors. I think when we can recognize that and attached to it, then the transformation happens. Then we stick to the program.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so where do we start? So you know, we can start in a million places, but for me, I think a really good place to start. If what we're talking about resonates with you, then you know, like questions that I've asked myself and others over the years, are, Okay, with my genetics, at my age, with my body type, with my goals, what's the best way for me to eat boom? That's a good question. What's the best way for me to move my body? Okay? Me and booze? Is Booz's going to help me? Or Hindy me? Hindu me? Okay? Do you want that? No? I don't. Okay, But what about you know, starchy carbi high sugary food. No cool? So you're either going to have it or you're not going to have it. That's a decision right, and yeah we can, we can make it harder than it needs to be or more complicated. But ultimately there are decisions to be made moments moment, day to day, and those decisions that we may make based off the questions that we ask they are in many ways all determining because life is just an ever ending series of questions and choices and subsequent behaviors and outcomes. So you know, when you get up in the morning and you say, all right, what's the best breakfast? Not necessarily what's the yummiest, but what's the best breakfast for me? Based on how I want to feel and perform, have that breakfast. Okay, so I can't get to the gym today, blah blah blah blah. All right, well what can you do? Well, you know, are there's stairs at work. Could you get into the stairwell and walk three minutes of stairs a few times? Yeah? Sure, So you do that five times. So you've done fifteen minutes of stairs and you did three minute installments. Right. It's like, if we want to find a way to move the needle, we will find a way. If we want to find a way to delay, to deny, to procrastinate, to avoid, to rationalize, to make We'll do that, We'll do that, and then we're five years older. I still going, oh fuck, though no one understands, no one understands me. I've got the hardest life in the world. Do you do you or do you have a fucking shit attitude? Like? You know, And I'm not saying I'm definitely not. I'm a pussy sometimes, but you know, will you know Johnny that we train with at the gym, you know, and I know this is groundhog Day, but I just I think about him and people like him that I've trained. You know, this guy has a significant spinal cord injury. His life is very difficult. Even to get to the gym as difficult every day of his life. He has pain, He has a lot of physical challenges. But he just comes to the gym. He just comes like he just turns up and he doesn't complain, and he brings his pain and he's broken body with him and we give him a fucking hug and a cuddle and we talk to him and we help him through his workout. And you know, it's like, if you want to find a way, you'll find a way. If you want to find an excuse, You'll find an excuse. And yes, this is somewhat cliche, but you know, we all need to realize that that in a minute we're going to look up and it's going to be another year. It's going to be another two years. And you know, sometimes the thing that needs to change in the moment is the kind of inner dialogue about all this stuff, because that in a dialogue and questions and you know, the kind of self talk and the stories really in a large way kind of determines what we do and what we produce moving forward.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I reckon getting separation between our thoughts and or kind of not identifying with them, Like I think more of it as I'm having a shit attitude. I'm having shit thoughts. My thoughts are really negative lately, but that's not me. So rather than saying I'm really negative, I'm it lately, that just kind of compounds it and makes me more of the shit. Or when you just go, all right, I'm having a lot of shitty thoughts lately, and I'm I'm thinking in a really demotivated manner and I'm thinking really negatively. That's interesting, That's not how I normally am I'm different. I need to figure this out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, beautiful distinction. Yeah, because you are not. You are not the thought, you are not the feeling.
Speaker 3: Because comparisons you are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you are not the story. You're just the storyteller. You're just the thinker. You're just the feeler. But there's a distinction between the thought, the feeling, the story and you the producer of all of that stuff and knowing where the thought ends and you start, you know, and that's yeah, and it's you know, this is how I feel, and that's okay, and all of this stuff. Like I said, this is not about beating yourself up. This is just about acknowledging what is and then dealing with what is so that you know, the reality for me is, I'm you know, I'm sixty and I don't have great genetics, and blah blah blah blah blah, all that stuff that we've all heard too much. And you go, all right, well, with my not great genetics and my sixty year old self and my fucking thirty seven skin cancers and fucking you know, blah blah blah, with all of that, what can I do? Well? You know, can you go to the gym today? You can? Yep? Can I bench press like I used to? Nut? Why I'm my shoulders a fucked Can I still do chinups? Yep? I can? Well, let's do those. Can you bench press at all? Yeah, but probably on a ball with dumbbells is better than on a bench with okay, so do that? Well? What else can you do? Can you squad? Not really kind of fucks up my discs? Can you lead press? I can so do that? Can you run? Well a little bit? So run a little bit?
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: It's like, let's let's acknowledge what we can't and then let's figure out a modified or appropriate version of what is okay for me or us right now, and then let's do that. Let's do that. Let's not wait for Christmas. Let's not wait for summer. Let's not wait for Monday. Let's not wait for a fucking round of applause or a trophy. Let's not post our fucking breakfast on Instagram again, Let's not do that.
Speaker 3: I will in seventy five days.
Speaker 1: Seventy five days, It'll be a fucking nightmare. It'll it'll just be a week of just saturation. Oh God, oh God, is with that? Thing. I've spoken to people about it, but I can't remember. Is it different stuff every day? And no? Is it?
Speaker 2: That's there the guidelines and you can go as hard or you know, do whatever, but they're the guidelines.
Speaker 1: Tell me the guidelines again. So reading ten pages every day.
Speaker 2: Reading ten pages every day of like a self improvement type of book. Yeah, two forty five minute workouts. One of them must be outdoors, right, take progress picture. To drink a gallon of water which is almost four liters, and follow a diet so there's no specifications around the diet. Have some diet guidelines that suit you, and no cheap meals or alcohol. You know what's interesting? Chris talked about how how great it is that he's doing this and he's doing it for charity so that people will leave him alone on the drinking front. Our culture around drinking. He goes, if it wasn't for charity, goes, people had just put alcohol in my drink on me, Like, isn't that ridiculous? He goes, I'm not even to He goes, it's the first birthday in thirty nine years that I haven't drank.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: And it made him reflect. He goes, I like isn't that sad? Why why did we drink? Because I was born thirty you know, like that or nine years ago.
Speaker 1: Well, let's hope he didn't drink in his first ten birthdays tips so maybe not the first one in thirty nine years, but as an adult, let's say.
Speaker 2: Just as I went to say it, I'm like, yeah, and I was like, I can't bothered with the calculations.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: It's like he's not telling people that he's told people he's got another twenty seven days to go. He is, oh, I think got about twenty to go. He finishes in a couple of day. I think Sunday, he finishes few days, but he won't tell him because he doesn't want the wrath of people wanting to drag him back down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can change that though. I mean, you know, I get asked very rarely, and if I do, I shut it down. Like people are just you know what, people are not fascinated that I don't drink. They're fascinated that I've never drunk, never drunk. Yeah, And the amount of people who repeat the question, they go, oh, you don't how long I go, I've never drunk, And they go, you've never drunk. I go no, They go, you've never had alcohol. I go no, And then they go, you've never had a beer. I go, I just fucking told you I've never had alcohol, So that includes beer.
Speaker 2: That's when you're in the middle of it, you just go, I was addicted to crack at twelve, so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, but don't fucking try and hide my cheesecake or I'll stab you in the throat. Now I'm I'm past that phase, all right, team, So what's the take home? The take home is get strategic, creative timeline, creative process, write it down. Research tells us, and my observation tells me that the more you write, the more you track things, whether or not you use that with an app or an old fashioned diary where you actually have some paper and a pen. The more that you track, the more that you're likely to maintain the behavior, the more you're likely to create the outcomes you want to create. But also in the middle of all of that tracking and that recording is this thing that happens called awareness and understanding. All of a sudden, you go, oh, look what I ate today, and this is how I feel. Look at what I ate the other day and that's how I felt. And so what you're doing is you're, essentially, through this process, you're teaching you about you, so that the operating system which is essentially paying attention to and then subsequently making decisions around data that you are collecting. So give it a crack kids, Thanks TIV.
Speaker 3: Thanks Harps. So day two tomorrow, right, day two tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Only seventy four days to go. Yep, you're going to be a fucking nightmare for the next seventy four days. Maybe I'll go away, see ya, see ya,