Speaker 1: From the Skying Center. This is Paul Burray Live Today. Nice to talk to you. There's an lawful lot to get to this evening, including to the sillier end of things. Can you believe that there is a real government in Australia, not a local council, a real government in Australia that is going to introduce a rule about how much time you should spend with your peers. Seriously, this is a thing. We'll talk about it tonight. Massive news for those of us who love Formula One. The boss of the Red Bull racing team, Christian Horner, has been sacked tonight. In fact, it's only happened in the past ninety minutes or so. Talk about a massive thing. This is the equivalent of a multiple time Premiership per footy coach getting the biscuit halfway through the season. I'll explain a little more in a moment or two time, and a reminder, we're coming to South Australia in just a couple of sundays. Time for our town in Mount Gambia. Mount Gambia is a beautiful part of Australia and I want as many people to join us there as possible. You send us an email ourtown at skynews dot com dot au now being a night for the hard corese and thank you for being here this evening. I will get to some serious stuff in a second, but there was just a lot of other weird stuff that happened today that I thought I might begin our conversation with tonight, including if today felt just a little bit different than every other day, if you felt like you had not enough time to get around and do whatever it is that you did today, Well, guess what you are not incorrect, because a very strange scientific reason means that today, July the ninth, is the shortest day in the history of the world. Apparently it is one nano second shorter than the average day because of the rotation of the Earth and apparently the fact that the planet is getting ever so slightly smaller. Again the explanation that comes here via an American news website I think this one. Yeah. Earth is expected to complete a full rotation on the ninth of July at roughly one point three milliseconds less than the standard eighty six four hundred seconds that define as twenty four hour day. With that time difference imperceptible to humans, it does represent a broader pattern that has left scientists scratching their heads for years. After thousands of years of the Earth slowing down, Earth has been spinning faster in recent years, constantly breaking records for its shortest days. Now again, if you felt like today just was a millisecond faster, everything was a little bit, yes, because of the Earth's rotation and it getting smaller. I told you it was a weird day to day. As I mentioned, Can you believe there is a government anywhere in Australia that would tell you how much time you have to spend playing with your puppy? Well, that is apparently exactly what the Act Parliament is seriously considering. Dog owners must spend three hours minimum with their pets under a new proposed animal welfare law. Now I have no Again, this is one of those things where and all of us care about animal welfare, and all of us want to make sure that the pets and puppies and budgies and fish and all the rest of it in our lives live great lives. Okay, no question about that. But how are you supposed to prove it? Are you supposed to somehow sort of like the old punch in punch out clock? Are you supposed to put a stepper on? Rover? Is a council ranger going to follow you around? This is one of those things where it will be a recommendation, but if it's going to be potentially enforceable, how will it ever be enforced? The Act government and I know there are a lot of good people who watch us in the Act, but the joke still stands. In terms of its government, it is much more like a local council than it is a state parliament. Obviously the Northern Territory has fewer people but a much bigger area. But certainly of the territories and states, it's it's small and sometimes it's priorities, in my opinion, are also a little small. Okay, Now again, have a look at this under the draft Code of Practice for the Welfare Dogs. Welfare of Dogs in the Act features a number of mandatory standards, including restricting surgical barking, debarking good, that's weird, and making a compulsory for owners to provide animals with human contact for a reasonable length of time three hours minimum. Now again, the code include glidelines blah blah blah, and apparently you have some issues around retractable leads. Again, just just think this through for a second. Okay, Now, if you've got like a really active dog, you might be able to get three hours of cuddle time or walking in. Okay, fine, fair enough. What do you do with a rabbit? What do you do with a snake? And who's going to police this? Believe it or not. A great free thinker, that is John Roscombe has a strong opinion about this because he sent a story to me to talk about when we have a chat a little bit later in the show. A passionate pet owner himself. How would he feel about a government or somebody following you around with a clicker telling you whether it's okay or not to spend more time with your pair fed InCom All right. Third silly story around today, and again there's lots of stuff, but come on, you deserve a smile every now and then. This one involves two of the world's biggest diplomats, well, one of the world's biggest diplomats and Penny Wong. Penny Wong is, of course, our Foreign Affairs minister American version is the Secretary of State, who is Marco Rubio, the past couple of weeks they ended up having a meeting together. But as the way the world works, there obviously in contact, plenty of little messages and all the rest of it, and whatever secret mobile phones that they use. Well, according to the Washington Post today, somebody who has been has been an impostor pretending to be Marco Rubio and has apparently been trying to call people in the American government or foreign ministers around the world and pretend to be Marco Rubio. This was the detail from NBC when it was Primetime News, because of course somehow it links to Orange Man Bad, but of course it has nothing to do with them. It's an impostor who somehow has got the numbers of the people that would be in his fine and have been reaching out. Was Penny Wong one of them.
Speaker 2: The actor used AI to contact at least five high level government officials in mid June, including three foreign ministers, a governor, and a member of Congress.
Speaker 1: Please go on.
Speaker 2: The individual using the display name Marco Rubio at State dot gov also left voicemails on the messaging app signal for at least two targeted persons.
Speaker 1: So is pennywe one of these people? Now they had a very recent meeting. They clearly were preparing for the meeting. But what I find really interesting about this is the by choosing to say nothing, what is going on here? In the Australian newspaper their version of the story today, the Foreign Minister Penny Wong has a climb to comment on whether she was one of three foreign ministers contacted by artificial intelligence with somebody impersonating the US Secretary of State Marco Rubia. When asked whether Senator Wong had been contacted by the impostor over the encrypted message signal, which is basically another version of a WhatsApp, Right, a spokesman, please, spokesperson, we're in twenty twenty five, declined to comment, citing the ongoing investigations in the United States. Now I get it. These people are all very sort of super careful and they don't want to say But if it wasn't you, you just say no, of course not. But thanks for it, thanks for the inquiry, but no, I'm not one of them. Move on, and it's a crazy story, right, Okay, this is the national security stuff. But encrypted apps people end up people's numbers. This is not a giant surprise, right, Thankfully, it's not somebody turning around knocking on a hotel door in the middle of the night or going to their house or something more physically dangerous. But with the greatest respect to Marco Rubio, it did get me thinking, let's just imagine that Pennywong was one of the ministers who was contacted. Her public presentation is fairly robotic, a little bit ai, dare I say, and Marco Rubio again, at times, can be a little ai. So we decided to use AI to try to show the speech bubbles of what their conversation would look like. The problem is, would either of them have known that it wasn't a real person on the other end of the line, Oh dare you say that Pennywong's a national treasure? Now increasingly not a day goes by without someone in the left turning around and basically saying, Hey, you know, China, let's do more of what they do a trillion times. For all the obvious reasons about why that is a terrible idea, I don't want to be more like China. I'd be more like America, the UK, the New Zealand Free Countries, right, not China. Well, today, the boss of the Energy Council was giving a speech of the National Press Club. I know were you watching two And normally I would not care at all about presenting what the Energy Council boss was saying at the National Press Club, because he was saying all the obvious. Well, this in part is what he said today China plays as a team, essentially kind of saying it's good the way they are dealing with climate change issues, even though we know they're the world's biggest polluta. This is in part what this bloke said. He is the boss of the Smart Energy Council. Okay, so he's better than you and I, and he knows more about the future than you and I. And unbelievably he said this, and there was not a gasp in the room when he said it.
Speaker 3: One thing you can say about the Chinese system is that China plays as a team.
Speaker 1: They don't play as a team the Chinese government, not the Chinese people, nor the citizens here in Australia. No, you're not going to get me on that one. It is a ruthless machine that, as you saw back in nineteen eighty nine, will put tanks in front of protesters, let alone people in jail for invented crimes. The idea that you would be able to launch a protest about any planned mass development in your part of China. Good luck, you will be depersoned within a moment. And deperson does not mean not allowed to use Twitter. Okay, I don't care if it's a joke. I don't care if it's flipping. How can you say this? Unbelievably, There was plenty more that he had to say about China. In fact, it was kind of on his today.
Speaker 3: And Australia spends all of our time trying to tear each other apart. That is no way to compete for Team Australia.
Speaker 1: Okay. In a free country, you are allowed to disagree with your government. You are allowed to disagree with your fellow citizens. You are allowed to do so out of principle, out of opinion, out of because it's Tuesday. Okay, that's our country. You are allowed to say, I don't like what is happening in this country. We tear ourselves apart, not because and they all want to pretend that this is you know, we're still twenty years ago and there's a conversation about whether climate change is or isn't a thing right, Australia needs to do our bit. Why because all the evidence is there about what's happening to the world. But austraight as one percent of the global problem. Yes, a certain section of the country. Last election would tell us about a third of the country doesn't agree with what the government's plan is, which is to move from an energy system that has worked for decades, that was cheap for decades, to a new one that, fingers crossed after it's built, after it's paid off, will theoretically be cheaper. But there are plenty of people who quite reasonably have come to the conclusion that the amount of cost and effort of the new system doesn't do as good a job as the old system, and that yes, while one is going to be more polluting than the other, the new one requires how much bush to be cut down, how many new wires to go up, how many new farms to essentially just be trampled China style?
Speaker 4: This bloke said China over and over and over and over again in his speech today, and again, I don't know, I've never heard of this bloke before, Okay, and I know because I'm nipping at his heels. It will be roll gold now on the ABC. Okay, the official sort of you know, tick of approval. You've annoyed the people in Sky in his primetime. But these are the people that are not just lobbying our governments. But I've been given front and center at the National Press Club. That's the same place the Prime Minister has given speeches, the same place eminent Australians have given speeches. Yet again, no.
Speaker 1: Gasp, no reaction. I guarantee this will be the most chat about it that you're probably going to hear. But if you get a chape chance, go back and watch the tapes, read the transcripts. Of course I don't need to point out, but I will when it comes to China and specifically renewable energy, when it comes to renewable energy products that I'm made out of China, I have this bloke and everyone else who thinks, why can't we be a little more CCP remembers the Wigas. The Wigas is a religious minority in China, a minion of which have been imprisoned and among other things that they are doing when the females are not being assaulted in horrific ways, that far right wing institution, the BBC, remember tells us that the weaker population is being used as force labor, slave labor to make solar panels, the same ones we import into this country. This is such a problem that even Joe Biden, who didn't even know what day it was or what city he was in when he was president, banned the importation of slave labor solar panels. Australia has not made that decision. And when it comes to China and China being able to solve the global problem, remember, as I've told you before about the climate clock. Right, let's go like play school. You can get from here to about quarter past and that's China. This is the rest of the developing world or the global South. This is India, this is the United States, this is Russia. Forty five of the sixty minutes of countries, if it was a clock, are either completely out or don't care about net zero twenty thirty. China pollutes what Australia does in one year in sixteen days. We should be more like China. They all pull together. This is truly outrageous, but what a little insight into how they truly think and what they truly think of people who stand in their way and They're not saying that because climate change is an existential crisis and anyone who is slowing us up by a day is committing our kids to horrible futures. No, it's because there's plenty of money. And then the valleys and then they are hills. And again about China, they are currently at a ten year high the amount of coal power plants they are currently producing. Had a look on one of those lefty websites that is all very pro massive things to do with the renewable energy. Have a look at the graph. There's the past ten years. The red is just how much new coal construction, new not ongoing, new coal power plants last year a ten year high. Oh, but we should be more like China. Actually go back, Can we play it again? Play again the very first bit of this guy from this council and his view. Remember remember when Tony Abott we're talking about Team Australia, just backing in the awesomeness of Australia and doing your best for Australia. Oh, pillar read and how many things were written in all of those opinion pieces everywhere. Well, how many will be written about the bloke who said this in our national capital today.
Speaker 3: One thing you can say about the Chinese system is that China plays as a team.
Speaker 1: You know. I want to say more, but we'll get to it in a moment of two stime. Now, as you know, climate change is the obsession of certain parts of the left. The reality for the extreme majority of Australians has been how much everything costs. It always has been. Ever Thus you've ever had a bill, We've always had that part of our lives. We're going, geez, what's all this about. Well, the reality is that cost of living was a major issue. Two thirds of Australians, either by first or second vote, decided to vote for the government to stick around. But of course all of the indices that come out tell us that, apparently cost of living crisis is totally over. I mean, just listen to the Prime Minister in the snake charm.
Speaker 5: Costs of living, cost of living, cost of living, cost of living, costive living, cost of living, costive living, cost of living, costive living, cost of living, cost of living, cost of living, cost of living, cost of living.
Speaker 1: Ah, but they think we've turned the corner, you see, So it doesn't matter anymore. And as I told you, a couple of nights ago, almost half half of all of the economists that the Price can Harrison website finder got in touch with said the cost of living crisis is over. Well, isn't that excellent news? You might want to tell that too the people who responded to another consumer website survey, because cost of living is triggering mental health issues for millions of Australians. Now, I know, I talked about it for months, talked about it for years. Oh there he goes again, whenever he talks about money. It's boring. Well, I just think when you get information about average Australians, regardless of whether they vote left, right or center, whether they are of all genders, all political persuasions, all football teams, no football teams, that it's a relevant story. Again, we have a look here. Almost half of Australians admit cost and living pressures are impacting their mental health as millions millions were denied further relief. But it came to the interest rates this week fresh research from Now I know it's kind of Pon's institutey, but you get the point. Compare the Market found forty eight point seven percent of Australians now experience or have heightened feelings of anxiety depression due to money issues. So you can stick a where the sun doesn't shine. That, oh, half the economists say, because this inde season, that inter season, the one point two and the four point five and the minus the two, and everything's okay here in the Chamnel's lounge. Seriously, remember inflation may well be two percent, not six percent, not full, and that's great. But when you put together this month's increased to that month's increase, to this year to the year before, it's like this. You know what you're living at and the prices will never come down. Why because for all the obvious reasons, if anyone can make a buck, they'll keep making a buck. Can we go back to the statement heure gen Z was fearing the worse when it came to the price pressures, as seventy two percent of respondents in the Comparison Sides survey reported mental health strainers money was over moneyise. Millennials followed with fifty six percent saying they felt mental health challenges over the cost pressures. Well, forty eight percent of Gen X and twenty nine percent of Baby Boomers feel the same. Honor but it's all okay, We've turned the corner. It's over. I get it. Look at the scoreboard. They won ninety four seats to four fifth of bugger all of the opposition. But this is not about the election. This is about our country, and this is about our media who just want to move on in many ways from these things. And I get it. It's not a university study, it's not a plebiscite or a referendum. But still, how how far away could you possibly be? Half of all of economists They turn around and say, we've turned the corner, the crisis is over. Whereas the numbers, as I just told you, generation by generation, seventy two percent of Gen Z is feeling anxious about money, fifty six percent of millennials, forty eight percent of Gen X, and twenty nine percent of Baby boomers. I would call that more than half of the country. Let's talk about the piece of work that was Jeffrey Epstein. What are still this has been? What a wild ride? Now you don't need me to tell you, but this bloke was a piece of This is a bloke who wasn't kinky, He was a creep. Now it has been officially ruled that he killed himself in a New York jail. The guards just fell asleep at exactly the right time and the camera cut out yet. But that's where the official story is, okay, And forgive me for wondering out loud whether you believe that or not, but that is the official line, just like the magic bullet and JFK Right. Well, the issue that many people have been discussing since he was arrested was, Okay, the way this bloke used to live his life was he used to hang out with really rich, really famous, really important, really powerful people, And there were many ways that you could hang out with him. You could come over to his house, you could fly on his plane, the Lolita Express, or you could of course, go and spend a couple of nights at Jeffrey Epstein's island. In all of those locations, there had been allegations about underage girls being procured for sex or sexual interactions in all three of those locations. So when the kingpin falls, a lot of people were wondering, okay, so when's the list going to come out about all of the people who may well have been to those three things and may or may not have done what he did at one of those three locations. Of course, it was the Epstein list.
Speaker 6: They include associates, friends, and alleged victims of the disgraced billionaire who died in jail five years ago.
Speaker 7: The pages revealing around one hundred and fifty people mentioned in previously redacted parts of the Gillen Maxwell suit.
Speaker 8: More than two hundred previously redacted names linked to Jeffrey Epstein have been made public tonight.
Speaker 9: A federal judge ordered the unredacted documents to be released last month.
Speaker 1: So there is a list, well, apparently not, because the FBI, the Department of Justice, and Trump's administration have now turned around and said there is no list now. Of course, one of the reasons why some people we're looking forward to a Trump administration was this list that we'd heard about how many times from different places that would come out now for anyone who says, well, obviously, the reason it didn't come out a because Donald Trump's on the list. You don't think that Joe Biden and his staff, if Trump was anywhere near the list, would not have been linked or leaked all the rest of it. But the official decision today is there is no list.
Speaker 10: A new Justice Department memo reveals that the Justice Department has no evidence that convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein blackmailed powerful people or kept a client list.
Speaker 11: Investigators say they found no incriminating client list of Epstein's, no credible evidence that Epstein blackmailed prominent individuals, and no evidence that could predicate keep an investigation against uncharged third parties.
Speaker 6: Accius atteam obtained a memo from the DJ that concludes Epstein did not have a client list and that he died by suicide.
Speaker 1: Nothing to see. You remember that movie Men in Black where they hold up the thing and they go, whoo oh, I don't even I don't remember anything. That's the trick they're trying to pull now. Either there never was, which means everyone's been lying for all of this time, but nobody has come out to ever correct the lie and just let it run and run and run and run and run. But of course, if there was no list, if there was no information, all of those media outlets that I showed you before that would have been loyal to the Biden worldview, well, they would have repeated there's nothing to see here, but the lady who became the Attorney General in the United States. Thus the person who became in charge of the Department of Justice with responsibility for people like the FBI. Well, she has kind of been saying pretty clearly that there was a list. Here she is, I think about four months ago.
Speaker 7: The DOJ maybe releasing the list of Jeffrey Epstein's clients.
Speaker 1: Well, that really happened.
Speaker 9: It's sitting on my desk right now to review. That's been a directive by President Trump. I'm reviewing that. I'm reviewing JFK files, MLK files. That's all in the process of being reviewed because that was done at the directive of the president from all of these agencies.
Speaker 1: So have you seen anything that you said, Oh, my gosh, not yet. But that wasn't the only time she talked about it. In fact, a few days later they actually got a whole bunch of influencers who had interest in this from the incident, gave them a whole bunch of binders. There was nothing new in any of it, but there was this big song and dance and she said this on television. Remember, as the person in charge of the very body that could tell us whether there was or wasn't a list. Second example of her saying there is well, and truly a list.
Speaker 9: You're going to see hopefully tomorrow as a lot of flight logs, a lot of names, a lot a lot of information. But it's it's pretty sick what that man did.
Speaker 1: Reque that grab, let's play that again. Lots of names, lots of details. Okay again, no wigs or words here, expectations. You are right up to hear that there's documents you've never seen because the list has been hidden for all the obvious and spooky reasons. What did she say again?
Speaker 9: What you're going to see, hopefully tomorrow is a lot of flight logs, a lot of names, a lot a lot of information, but it's it's pretty sick what that man did.
Speaker 1: So over the weekend they decided to go to sort of an inside baseball Washington news thing called Axios, and they said, no, there's nothing more to see here. Nothing, nothing happened. So the past couple of days have been watching people go, sorry, what you said? All of that? You said all of that. I didn't say that. You said all of that, right, you're the one who didn't just set expectations, but kinda was pulling the horse to water, and the horse was thirsty to know what was happening. Well, today there was a cabinet meeting in Washington, d C. Of course, sheared by President Donald Trump, who wanted to well magically pretend no one wants to talk about this, and you know, I like Trump, but come on, are you still talking about Jeffrey Epstein? This guy's been talked about for years. You're asking, we have Texas, we have this, we have all of the things, and are people still talking about this guy? This crip that is unbelievable. But eventually the person who said everything that you've heard before, the Attorney general or she had to speak because she couldn't quite scarp her off. She's sitting right there. You don't leave if the president hasn't left, and everyone's sitting down and there's no escape. So what did she say? Today?
Speaker 9: I was asked a question about the client list, and my response was, it's sitting on my desk to be reviewed, meaning the file along with the JFK MLK files as well. That's what I meant by that. Also, to the tens of thousands of video they turned out to be child porn downloaded by that disgusting Jeffrey Epstein. Child porn is what they were never going to be released, never going to see the lighted day.
Speaker 1: Okay, but you would have known that right like first week in the job, first month, first you know, littleone, the release of the pump up and all the rest of it. One person left on the planet. May May May one day tell us whether there is or isn't. It was his girlfriend, Glaine Maxwell, of course is in jail, and rightly so, and she will be for the best part of twenty years. Why because she went and fanned the underage women who were then subsequently abused by Jeffrey Epstein. But listen to some of the media reports at the time, does she know more? Well, you make up your own mind.
Speaker 11: Prosecutor say that she recruited in g room four girls between nineteen ninety four and two thousand and four for Epstein, her a longtime associate and former boyfriend.
Speaker 7: Maxwell was convicted of helping to recruit young girls to be abused by her longtime associate Jeffrey Epstein.
Speaker 12: Back in December, Gilaine Maxwell has been sentenced to twenty years in prison for helping Jeffrey Epstein sexually abuse teenage girl.
Speaker 13: The former socialite who counted Royalty as friends, has been jailed for twenty years for conspiring with Jeffrey Epstein to sexually abuse young girls.
Speaker 1: I love motorsports. Supercars is my love, but second to it is the world of Formula One and what a massive story in that sport. And I know a lot of people in Australia well and truly we stay up in the middle of the night to watch everything from practice all the way through to races. Saturday nights. Qualifying around eleven o'clock is always amazing to watch. And the Red Bull Racing team has been a phenomen one for the past twenty or so years. In fact, of the more than four hundred races that they have competed in, there one at least a quarter of them over the entire twenty years of it being in place. This year, however, the form has started to fall away. Just two years ago they won all but one of the races that entire season. Maxvstappen is of course the driver who has won them many a world title and apparently we're so unhappy with the way things were going that maybe, just maybe he was going to go off to another team. So we learned to diet that his boss, Christian Horner, the very man who put the team together, built it, took it to not one but multiple drivers titles, with multiple drivers, multiple constructors championships is gone out. Is that because Max has gone somewhere else or is it because they need to get rid of him to keep Max. Suffice to say, the news has been massive. The statement from Red Bull tonight was breaking news all over the F one world.
Speaker 12: Red Balls chiefstive of Corporate Projects and Investments, Oliver minslaf has had this to say about Horner. We would like to thank Christian Horner for his exceptional work over the last twenty years. With his tireless commitment, experience, expertise and innovative thinking, he has been instrumental in establishing Red Bull Racing as one of the most successful and attractive teams in Formula one. Thank you for everything, Christian, and you will forever remain an important part of our team history.
Speaker 1: Now. I know there's been scandals in the past, my view is that I reckon that it is all about keeping or after they have lost Max. So we'll find that out in the next little while. Martin Brundle is of course the legend of motorsport from the UK. He's the guy who is in the commentary box each and every one of those sessions that we stay up in the middle of the night to watch. And he is a very passionate motorsport not just fan, but also person who's aware of the success and British based success of Christian Horner. This is what he said to Fox Sports, sorry Fox Sports, Sky Sports in the UK. I'm quite sad about it. If I'm honest.
Speaker 6: I consider Christian a friend and he send an incredible job there for twenty years, won an awful lot of races and world championships for drivers and for the team, and he took it from what was the Stewart team through Jaguar and it was struggling to a massive campus in Milton Keynes and an awful lot of success and a huge trophy cabinet. But you know, it's not been difficult to feel in the Formula one paddock and to observe and to hear that things were not particularly rosy.
Speaker 1: Now they're all very well paid, but how brutal can sport be? And it's one of the reasons I love motorspoort. Either there is no gray area, you win or you lose. Two years ago, they won all about one race. Two years later, the bloke who built the team hired all of the right people and won so many idols. Gone more in a sect here on Pulmurray Life plenty more to discuss, including Yeah, I want to hear what John Roscombe has to say about this story about the act now putting rules down about how much time you should spend with your puppy. More in a second. Let's get into a conversation now with two guys who are kind of team Red, kind of team Blue, but more importantly they're from great think tanks. But they're very free to speak their mind and they will do so right now. John Roscom is of course with the IPA, and Ed Kavanah is with the McKell Institute, a carry out a champ from last week, Welcome back, my friends. So this bloke from the Smart Energy Council goes and plays a home game, which is giving a speech in camera to a room that of course was going to say nothing other than yes, absolutely wonderful, what a great idea of the National Party. They're terrible what nation? Oh, but he decided to get a little bit excited and dare I say that sort of you know the inner lefty in him who goes, you know what, would be great no opposition, So he decided to drop this as a reference to China as being the way to go when it comes to getting what you want out of the government.
Speaker 3: One thing you can say about the Chinese system is that China plays as a team.
Speaker 9: Ed.
Speaker 1: What the heck did he mean? And would he slightly regret it once he got back to the hotel because this is ridiculous.
Speaker 7: Well, he might be regretting it after this, after the coverage tonight. Look, my view is that we shouldn't be looking to China for influence on our energy policy, whichever way we're going on energy policy. You know, I don't think we should be looking at them for inspiration on a clean energy future, nor should we be looking at them for inspiration on a fossil fuel led future. And the sort of irony in this is there's a lot of outrage about this individual citing some of the climate achievements of the Chinese government. But we always hear here in Australia that we should be doing less on climate because of what China's doing, because they're going down a certain energy path around fossil fuels, so we should do the same.
Speaker 1: So ten your highs.
Speaker 7: In my view, we should be going an Australian way and we shouldn't necessarily be taking our cues from the Chinese government on energy policy, whichever way they looks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my issue is, as always, right what I'm saying, do you have to do something short one percent of the world's problem, you know, and if you've got forty five of the sixty minutes on that climate clock kind of in many ways either making things worse or spinning their wheels. That's my issue. It's not an argument against a need for certain transitions. But John again to the heart of it here, right, Oh, China, they all play as a team. They all play as a team. Oh yeah, you try and be a free thinker in China. You try and say, I don't want that in my backyard. No nimbis in China, No Nimbi's there.
Speaker 14: Well, this is the problem, Paul, that too many people from the world of business talk about the certainty and the direction and the clarity that totalitarian regimes provide. Well, there is a difference in Australia. We are a democracy. You can speak your mind for the moment at least we can debate climate change, we can debate energy policy. And the tragedy of what was talked about in the Press club this week is that the Speaker John Grimes played a significant role in the last federal election. His in Joe's costing of the coalition's nuclear power policies were cited by the government and he had a huge role, huge influence in the debate. They've acknowledged they donate to the Labor Party and here's some bloke telling us.
Speaker 1: We should be like China. Yeah, it is honestly one of those moments where you just go cool, COOLi horses, that's too far right, You might think, look at the scooreboard ninety something seats and there'll be no opposition for any time, you know, the fact bloke yelling on the telly, who cares all right? The people watching it off or they just keep voting the way they do. Seriously, No, that was a bad call today. Now, perfect example about what we refer to and everyone's referred to as well as a bit of a sort of a gulf between dare I say, the front end of the plane and the people who can't even afford to fly on the plane, but it the elites or anything else, right, would be half of all economists telling consumer website, oh we've turned the corner. Cost of crisis is over because this in the season this month, and carry the one and carry the two. Nothing to see here, and another consumer website that says that more than half of Australians have serious mental health conditions because of the cost of living. Right, let's talk not about whether we turn the corner or not. Let's keep it at the distance between two worlds. John, Now, to me, it is that thing where and I have always banged on about it, which is when you get anything that tells you millions of Australians are then it starts to move its way towards the top of my attention list. Right, So, the three million Australians this close to homelessness, three and a bit million Australian households that are going to run out of food, I'm going to talk about that. Right. Some people will want to swatt it away because it's not going to matter politically, or it's not that interesting to watch on tell levision, But Bugret, I'm going to talk about it. Right. What do you think about this little golf here? Again, we're kind of talking about the Ponds Institute versus the Palmolav Institute. We're not talking about the IPA and the mckel. So I'm getting that it's not great intellectual riga here. But it does seem that you've got two people with two very different world views, John, which one do you think actually matters? And it's going to disappoint people because it's going to be people more like the front end of the plane and that bloke talking about China.
Speaker 14: Well, it's the view of mainstream Australians that has to count absolutely, and both political parties that the two major political parties tend to forget this, the people setting interest rates, the people in Canberra tend.
Speaker 1: To forget these things.
Speaker 14: The challenges that mainstream Australians have now which are absolutely real around the cost of living crisis and their inability and capacity to pay their mortgage rates.
Speaker 1: These challenges go back years.
Speaker 14: Remember we had the RBA governor telling this, don't worry, interest rates are going to be lower for longer.
Speaker 1: That wasn't the case.
Speaker 14: People listened to the experts and now sadly they're suffering the consequences and things have to change.
Speaker 1: Yeah again, ed. I know this is sort of the shallow end of the pond in terms of the research fields, but still two very different worldviews. I think one is rather contemptuous of the other. But what do you think.
Speaker 7: Well, look, I don't know if we need to be expanding the RBA's mandate into managing Australian's mental health in addition to all of its current objectives. There's been a really substantive reform process of the RBA over the last few years. I think that should be welcomed. The fact that we're now not having to go through this every single month is reassuring. It sort of eight or so times a year. But this does speak to the under lying anxiety that is going to be around for a long time in the wake of this cost of living crisis. Now, these crises don't just end on a dime as soon as the inflation rate gets low. We've seen in past recessions and other economic challenging periods. You know there is a long tail. People really feel that in people that those consequence consequences are going to be there, So you know, the government needs to be really attuned to that. But I think so too do some of these policy makes as well.
Speaker 1: I'm with you all right to quick break back with more. Now. I don't know about you, Ed, but I know that John loves his puppy, all right, and he's scratching at the door like a puppy wanting to go outside because he wants to talk about and rightly so, the Act Government telling you how much time you have to spend with your pets. More than a sec here on pull Marrid line. Thanks for watching, Thank you so much for watching. We are here in conversation this evening with from the Institute of Public Affairs, none of the wonderful John Roscombe, and here with Ed Cavanah as well, who is with the mckel Institute. Left right. But there's lots of things to talk about now, John, we've got a photo of your puppy here. I think you send a lovely photo of your puppy, all right, So any excuse to get a puppy on the TV? Oh not? Helu lu lu all right? What's their name? And how do you feel about the Act Government putting out a rule saying you must interact with you animal for a minimum of three hours a day.
Speaker 14: Well, Paul, that's Delphi, our wonderful boodle lying on her bed, which is the territory that she owns and possesses.
Speaker 1: I'm a dog person.
Speaker 14: I've grown up with dogs all my life, most of them have been rescue dogs. And look a measure of a civilized society, or one of the measures is how we treat our animals? How do we treat our companions? And the Act Government only in Canberra is now consulting on.
Speaker 1: Potential new laws that affect pet.
Speaker 14: Owners around how they care for their pets and particularly their dogs. And many of the suggestions are sensible around shade, around provision of clean water and so on.
Speaker 1: But one of the ideas is.
Speaker 14: That it should be a law that you have to play with your dog for three hours. You have to give it care and attention for three hours a day. Now, how this is going to be enforced, No one knows.
Speaker 1: How.
Speaker 14: Whether this is going to be the single most important thing the Act Government does in twenty twenty five is a mystery to most people. But it just reveals misplaced priorities. It reveals that we can't rely on people to look after themselves and look after their pets, and it just reveals so much that's wrong about camera, notwithstanding how much we do love our pets.
Speaker 1: Correct now, I've just received it. This is actually really not I've got received a message to here from the Act government. Wink, I haven't. But it is that watching Paul Murray live will officially count as one of the three hours. Okay, So if you can take a photo right now, if you're dog watching this show with you, and send it to me at Portsgunews dot com dot au and we'll show them on the show tomorrow, then we know at least one of those hours is being well spent together. Ed you foreshadowed a very interesting issue when we last spoke, which was about smelters the need for greater financial support, and well, I'm not suggesting you had any sort of insight running whatsoever. Just a couple of days later, the federal government comes out and says that it's a time to start getting behind them and helping them out, specifically the one that you mentioned.
Speaker 7: Well, that's it. Look there's a long road ahead here. I think we did see comments from the Prime Minister suggesting that the government would be open to some sort of federal intervention into the Near Star smelter, which is operational both in well, there's one in South Australia, one in Tasmania as well. The problem is, as I flagged last week, you know, this is sort of industry wide. We've got these challenges across the entire economy and I welcome I'm very much in support in principle of government support in this space, but we also have to be really careful here because there is a bit of a risk that you know, you said, a precedent where some of the more bad faith actors and investors potentially in this space, you know, kind of intentionally purchase an asset and then in the long run hope that government does come to the table and support them when it's you know, doing poorly. So whatever package does get announced in the coming weeks or months, whenever that may be, it needs to be very carefully calibrated to not set that precedent, but to also practically support this smelter in this industry, which is critical to our sovereign capability as a country, being able to build things, being able to make things, which is increasingly important given how volatile our regional economy is.
Speaker 1: All right, lads, I've got about sixty seconds, but I want to see here because no one ever takes a grab from a talk show and run it out of context when you're running for parliament later in your life. So think of that. But the Epstein thing right now, I've got to say, you know, I'm not a conspiracy theory person, but certainly there's a lot to read about on this particular issue. Right now, I'm going to open the door to both of you. What's the one thing that you know may not be true, but for some reason you keep reading articles about it?
Speaker 7: Ed, Well, you put me on the spot.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure.
Speaker 7: I mean, I look on the app side thing itself. I mean, my god, who knows what's going on there? That's not something I sort of spend.
Speaker 1: A lot of Fortunately, I like that you're keeping the notebook clean because he's running for something somewhere. This is the test if you're running for part what's the one that just ever so slightly you know it's probably not true, but every now and then you read too much about it.
Speaker 14: Paul, I can send you the list of a dozen different podcasts I've tuned into on the jfk assassination.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not a great believer in the magic bullet theory, but that's just me. We'll see whether you'll get canceled for saying such things. Let's do appreciate it. Thank you all right, quick break back. We more plenty more to talk about here on Paul Murray Live and then the late Debate in about eight minutes from now back in South Australia for our town in a couple of weeks time. If you'd like to join us Sunday, the twenty seventh of July, pushing it hot and hard because I want as many people in Mount Gambia as possible. Send me an email right now for a free ticket to ourtown. That's Gonews dot com dot au. Now you know Quantus, of course, and the Quantus data hack, which has been a new story of the past couple of days. Well, the boss of Quanus is now back from dealing with this in part overseas, where, among other things, she says, the data we were deleting was more personal identity data that has been historically held in our systems, such as passport details and other relevant identity data. That has been an action that we took as a result of the Optus and Medibank cyber haacks. Cool, But about the stuff that somebody did steal Now again, I do hear a lot of people Tenner ound say they must be more careful with their data. Yet they are somebody broke into the vault and somebody stole it. Okay, they didn't accidentally email it out across the world. But it does seem there might be anh dare I say gossipy angle to all of this. Apparently because it was all in connection with frequent flyer, the person who has stolen this stuff, and it is a crime, may well be able to know whom is in and out of the chairman's lounge. I'll give you the guess. Most of the people you think probably in it right, and I love that you're not. Now speaking of flying, if you've ever had the chance to fly through America, you know that it can be a compared to what it's like to get around in Australian airport. Lthough they can be frustrating at times. You know when you go through security and previously they've told you have to take your shoes off and you get what the shoe bomber? What was that?
Speaker 14: That was?
Speaker 1: How long ago? Ten years ago? Guess what announced by the Trump administration the very reason why Orange Man good. If you fly anywhere in the United States from now, you can cape your freaking shoes on.
Speaker 8: TSA first implemented the no shoes policy in two thousand and six, almost twenty years ago. And in those twenty years since that policy was put in place, our security technology has changed dramatically. It's evolved. TSA has changed. We have a multi layered hole of government approach now to security and to the environment that people anticipate and experience when come into an airport that has been honed and it's been hardened.
Speaker 1: Now. The other idea here is I think if we want to just a little free advice again just to hurry people along. And I don't know whether it is going to be the difference between horrible things and okay things. Do we have to take off our belts anymore? Look as a slightly retund fellow who without a belt to get messy, right, But when you're standing there and you're holding up your duds while you're trying to push all the other stuff through, and you're going, sorry, who's done what with a belt in the air because they still get to take it with me when I go on the plane, right, it's not like it's a lighter or it's a pocket knife or something like that. But still, for those of us that are of the heavier set, just let us have it. Just I'll do the wand on the other side, right, I'll do this. I'll move over the side. You can do the wand okay, you can even pat me down if you've a masochist. By the way, the person that you just saw there as the secretary who is in charge of Homeland Security. Christi nam to be a governor, and she was on her way to being a Trump's vice presidential pick until she wrote a book about her life where she admitted to shooting an animal in the face. This was not an expose a she wrote it in her own book. But still she looks good on TV, so Trump of course hireder. See you tomorrow.