Speaker 1: I get a team. Welcome to another installment, the Bloody You Project with Tiffany and Kulkin, Jeffrey Marcus, Robert Gross. That's not really I just made it up, as I do with everyone. Before we go to the Doc, who's the clearly the brainiac of the group, we'll go to tiff who's the creative of the group. Do you like that?
Speaker 2: It was you thinking quick on your feet there.
Speaker 1: I was thinking quick. I was going to call you the new spiritually enlightened since you've come back from Nepal or India, India, India, and she's been carrying a she got a rock in India, Doc and everyone else, she got a rock that is has connected her to I don't know. Are you still carrying your rock around that you? By the way, you're not allowed to bring back organic matter from other countries, but I won't tell the government.
Speaker 3: Well, I've plasted it everywhere so everyone knows that I have. Yeah, it's not in this room at the moment though normally I've got it, as you know, tucked in my top. I've left it in my bedroom.
Speaker 1: You could lose your shit at every moment, at any moment, and your spiritual security blanket, the doc and I might have to treat you in real time.
Speaker 2: We at least I'm in good hands.
Speaker 1: Yeah, doctor Jeff or Jeffrey, Do I call you, Jeff Or Jeffrey dock Jeff will do? Just phone doctor Jeff Gross. Welcome to the You project. This could be an experience for you. Thanks for stupidly agreeing to do it. Thank you for having me. This is awesome. Is there? Do you reckon? There's a a we'll go wherever we go. But you know what's interesting is since Tiff came back from India, if you how many weeks ago was it, Tiff?
Speaker 2: Well, I came back on the fourth of October.
Speaker 1: Okay, so a month and a bit and you had like in your I don't know, just a bit of a spiritual awakening or something. There was like an energetic shift in you, wasn't there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, something happened, Doc, don't know what to even call it, but something happened.
Speaker 1: Do you have you ever opened the door dock on? You know, like the not I guess almost like the placebo, but what we think and like I feel like with her when she carries this rock around, she's in a bit of place. I'm pretty short. I ain't about the rock, but but how she relates to the rock and the symbolism of the rock. Does the role of the mind play a big impact impact on our or have a big role in our physical health and our our ability that sty calm and heal and all that. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, Although you just ruined it for for your colleague, I think that the rock is part of it.
Speaker 1: You attached to it. You you you open up.
Speaker 4: The pathways in the mind that connect with the brain, that deal with so much in the body and for health. And we we call this psychosomatic medicine, not to mean that someone is you know, you know, conjuring up disease in their in their thoughts. But it's the mind. It's the mind body relationship. They are directly related by you know, nerve fibers and neurochemicals and neurotransmitters and small peptides. And we take that for granted. And you think about people that might have a sixth sense about something, or feel a change or a shift like you were talking about our closeness or a positive energy is healing. All these things are real. They're difficult to measure, and the longer I practice, the more examples of that A see around me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we've had a guy on a couple of times who's a genius. His name is doctor Jeffrey Redicker from Harvard Medical School, and his apart from being a psychiatrist and a medical doctor and a research his thing is place ebos and spontaneous healing and all this and talking to him about people who have recovered from and I know it's more than just place ebo mind body, you know, but people who have recovered from things fully that they should never have recovered from, and like hundreds of cases. And he's obviously he's a skeptic. Like he was, he did not want to get involved in this, and it just he kept coming across these different cases where he went, all right, I'll look into it because it makes no medical sense, it makes no logical sense. And yeah, just I still think that there's so much that we don't understand about. There's a lot we do understand, but there's still a lot that we don't understand about the way that the body can heal itself and the way that body, you know, using different modalities and methods, which we'll talk about today. And yeah, it's it's still there's probably still as much that we don't know as we do, maybe a complete agreement on my end.
Speaker 4: And that's one of the reasons that I originally went into neuroscience and neurosurgery, and because there was so much to learn that we didn't know, and I wanted to be part of that.
Speaker 1: I want to be at the tip of the spirit. What did you think you were going to be growing up? What did you when you were ten, twelve, fourteen years old? Running around? What did you want to be?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was always going to be a physician, you know, a highly trained, specialized surgeon of some kind. And the neuroscience part was there and it was solid. By the time I got to medical school, I already knew it. That was just a stepping stone to where I am now. I already knew what I wanted to do.
Speaker 1: That's amazing to have such clarity uncertainty at what did you have? Anything like that? Tiff at ten twelve?
Speaker 2: Still looking for it, mate.
Speaker 1: He's still trying to find you thing. He's still trying to find your purpose.
Speaker 2: I keep asking the rock.
Speaker 1: Maybe you need to look under a bigger rock or a different rock. At when I was ten, twelve, fourteen, or when I was fourteen. All I hoped when I was a grown up was that I wouldn't be a virgin until I was forty. That was like my main ambition, you know. I mean, sure, I could have had a more lofty goal. What's that going for you? It didn't work. I was forty two, But anyway, I may not close close. I was close, all right? So so you founded an organization called re Celebrate? Did I get that right? You did tell us about that, like, what do you do? What's the what's behind it?
Speaker 4: Well, Craig, I was practicing traditional neurosurgery. I'm a Spine Fellowship trained doctor. I was dealing with a lot of neck and back injuries and disc problems and and you know, pinch nerves and that kind of thing. And my patients, you know, continue to influence me and said, you know, Doc, we don't we don't want surgery yet. But all the other things we tried weren't enough. We still have issues, but we're not ready for surgery. And I said, great, because surgery should be the absolute last thing we consider. And enough of them said how about this this stem cell business? And we keep hearing about this sexy phrase stem cells.
Speaker 1: What's that all? And instead of going to the.
Speaker 4: Annual you know, bow tie wearing neurosurgery conferences where they drink the same kool aid year after year and say the same things and pat themselves on the back again, I said, you know what I'm I'm going to open my mind and get into some of these stem cell meetings. So I started retraining and re educating about six seven years ago, and I did it to help my spine patients. But it's blossomed into so much more that I have sort of a renewed energy, renewed purpose in my version two point zero of my practice, and we renamed it re Celebrate because we are celebrating the renewal of your cells.
Speaker 1: Amazing, is it? It is interesting the way that when you know I speak, I speak a bit about cults of thought, which is any group where to be in our group, you've got to think, you've got a line, you've got to conform, don't ask questions, definitely, don't agree with the protocol or the ideology or the philosophy. And if you don't agree with everything, you can't be in our group. So essentially it's a cult of thought, right, That's how you belong and it seems like me and not just with surgeons or neurosurgeons, but you know, in nutrition, in exercise, in religion, in you know, a million different things. It's like you need to part of the terms of agreement in some groups. Don't think, don't question, don't invent the wheel. We've already invented it. We know how this works. There is no new information, there is no new truth. We are the truth, right. That must have taken some courage for you to go. Listen, dudes, I'm just going to go over here and check this out. I look, I know I'm not you know, but that must have been hard for you.
Speaker 4: Well, I think I was always wanting to push the envelope on things, so it wasn't difficult for me personally. But I still see how difficult it is when I talk to colleagues from the old cult.
Speaker 1: You know, the echoed chimber of the echoed chimber of neurosurgery, all.
Speaker 4: Right, and and and how they get all scared and like you did something different.
Speaker 1: You know, I get it. There.
Speaker 4: There is the self perpetuation of the consumption of the kool aid, and it is very strong and very thick.
Speaker 1: This is a very unrelated question, not directly related anyway. I hot the baric chimber too therapy. Do you have you do you? What do you think of that?
Speaker 4: It's fantastic for for some very specific things, such as uh accelerating the healing process in someone who is maybe not able to heal as rapidly due to age or some condition. It is of course essential for someone with a decompression sickness like a scuba diving accident something like that, and then healing from wounds, healing from some kind of injury like a heart attack or a stroke. It's wonderful. It's also, interestingly help suppress cancer cell growth. Cancer cells do not like that amount of oxygen. Some people will tell you it's a great maintenance.
Speaker 1: Thing to do.
Speaker 4: I'm not a big believer in that, because the very reason that the Canyon Marathon runners come to our Colorado at the mile High to train is because they want to experience hormesis and meaning they want to experience a little stress in their cells to build resilience, and in the physical sense that can be done through hot sauna, cold plunge, high intensity interval exercise fast. All those things are healthy biohacks. Well, it turns out low oxygen, the opposite of hyperbaric oxygen, does the same thing. So I don't want my cells getting lazy. So I wouldn't go in it as a matter of routine, but I would use it strategically.
Speaker 1: I went to Speaking of Colorado, I went to Colorado a few years ago to do a gig at a place called Breckenridge. Is that right? Did I get that right? It's a wonderful mountain resort. Yeah, a resort, and I can't remember exactly, but I feel like it's ten or twelve thousand feet above sea level. And this is what I did, Tiff, because I'm a genius. First day there, so I got in first day when I'm going to go for a run, Well, I went, I'm going to run a quick five case. I ran about five hundred meters. My heart nearly came out of my mouth. I'm like, oh, yeah, that's right, there's not so much oxygen up here. It was just like, I literally couldn't run one kilometer that's ero point six of a mile, Doc, I couldn't run. I'm like, what is wrong with me? I'm one hundred years old, all of a sudden it is it isn't. I mean, I know this is an obvious thing to say, but when you actually experience it, rather than just the theory of it, you go, well, I've gone from sea level to twelve thousand feet. I don't know how much oxygen. I think there's like twenty point nine three percent or something at sea level. I don't know what there is at twelve thousand, but not that much. I can assure you. That was so different and so difficult. Yeah, I don't know how long it takes to adapt and adjust, all right. So when you walked through the stem the stem celled door for the first time, what did you like? What surprised you? What did you learn? What did you come to understand?
Speaker 4: Well, a lot has happened in the time I jump back into this from the time I had my undergraduate years, because I did have education in that field, but I had disregarded it for so long because I was busy being a spine surgeon neurosurgeon. So coming back I noticed a lot of great work had been done. Most of that work is done in Asia and in Europe and in North America. We are behind the game. We're just playing catch up, But a lot of the protocols I follow are based on fifteen and twenty year follow up studies in Europe, for example. But China, South Korea are really their labs are really pushing the envelope. So I noticed there are a lot of applicable biotechnologies in the stem cell realm that had amazing benefits that I wish I had employed years earlier.
Speaker 1: Could you try to so for my largely non scientific audio, could you try to explain in simple terms. You know how it works, and I know it works in a multitude of ways, and there's a multitude of applications, but could you kind of craygify it for us? All right?
Speaker 4: Of course, So, so you know, stem cells are the cells from which all of our bodies cells stem. So you when you're formed, you're you're a single cell. You're you're you're an embryo, and you're a fetus inside your mother's womb. All those cells are stem cells, and they're powerful. They can divide and create organs and tissues and bones and limbs and brains and everything. When you're born, you still have stem cells, They're not quite as powerful as those that can create a limb, although I hope we figured that out some days so we could regrow a limb. But those cells are still useful in growing and developing a baby into an adult and even as an adult. We harbor stem cells within us, mostly in our bone marrow and some fat in other areas, and that those stem cells are used when called upon upon repair. For example, you hurt yourself and you need to heal a bone or heal a cut or something, or you know, liver damage and you need to replace those liver cells. Those cells come in and help stimulate the area for healing and repair. They also have maintenance functions, but as we age, those functions aren't as good. We get exposed to the world. There's all kinds of inflammation in the world. There's questionable things in our water and our food, especially here in America. There's that, you know, electromagnetic fields, all kinds of things, maybe even negative thoughts, neurostress. You have a relation here. So our stem cells get exhausted and then we develop diseases and we age rapidly, and then the end is near. So the entire field of stem cell medacine is to take advantage of what we've learned about what these cells can do for us, and employ them earlier upon need generally speaking, and.
Speaker 1: When you employ them, what does that mean? What does this get injected into my body? Do you like? Yeah, what does that mean? Practically? If I have stem cell therapy, what might the experience be?
Speaker 4: Well, short of stem cells, there are many things you can do in your life, in your lifestyle that can improve your stem cells. So you can eat properly and get your fruits and vegetables and sleep, have great sleep hygiene, and learn how to meditate and have mindfulness and yoga and all kinds of things that are so good for your own stem cell population. But when that's not enough, you can actually tap into whether it's your own stem cells or donated stem cells, and have them reemployed. For example, I do a lot of spine and joint work. One comes to be with a degenerated knee. For example, they have osteoarthritis of the knee. They have a bone on bone, and the orthopedic surgeon is telling them, well, the next thing on my menu would be a joint replacement. But I like to catch that patient and then we can inject under a protocol we learn from Europe stem cells or stem cell like biologics into the area surrounding the joint to help that joint repair and regenerate and heal like a younger person.
Speaker 1: If this is what I need from my left shoulder, yeah, this is what I need, I'm gonna have to flow to bloody America. Yep. Oh my god, I'm not even kidddoc. My left shoulder is it is two hundred and thirty five years old right now. I had an accident in Jim and I it's a mess in there. But anyway, enough about my bullshit. Yeah, so what about things like I don't even know if these are dumb questions because I'm not anything like an expert in it. So if I ask a dumb question, go, that's a dumb question, right. What's the potential application for the kind of work that you do for paraplegics and quadriplegics being potentially keeled to some level like that? There must be that must be in the thinking it's coming.
Speaker 4: There's a wonderful study out of China that happened in the last year or two where they took some severe paraplegics like they had minimal function in the below. The part of the spine and they actually did a surgery, they cleaned up scar tissue and they employ did stem cells and they had some amazing results. Now that's that's a very early study and we're going to learn from that. It's not enough to go on yet, but we now have the ability to study this further. Right, that's that's enough to light the fire. So it's coming.
Speaker 1: Wow, that is I wonder what the timeline is on that. That's for a lot of people. We've got a friend of the show, Joel Sarti who comes on semi Regularly's who's a quad who fell down. So he was serving in the military, came home from Afghanistan, went to a party and a balcony broke or something. Anyway, he ended up in a wheelchair. Well at this stage for life. But when I hear news like that, I get excited for my friends who who've got spinal cord injuries and you know, even TBIs. So, could you give us again another layman kind of explanation of and I know it's not one thing, it's a few things, but regenerative medicine, what does that mean?
Speaker 4: Regenerative medicine can be used interchangeably with the phrase stem cell medicine. Regenerative medicine is based upon what we've learned from stem cells. But stem cells are not the only application. We use that phrase because people have heard of it. For example, there's something called platelet rich plasma or PRPA that's in this field. There's something else called exosomes, which are small signaling molecules from stem cells. So stem cells themselves are not the only aspect of regeneritive medicine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, why do you Why do you think that that in medicine and a lot of other fields, but we are so hesitant or a reluctant to consider new things. Is it ego? Is it? What is it when somebody goes, hey, guys, I know we've been doing it this way for ninety four years. I get it. But how about this? How about is what is the what is the barrier there? Is it because it might cost big farm of money? Is it because of people's egos? Is it because people hate change? Is it? Or is it some of it or all of it?
Speaker 4: I think it's all those things. And it's the way people are, you know, hardwired. You know, the things you do often are the things you keep doing more and more and you get those neural pathways set and it's hard to break out of them. And like you said, there's that cult behavior, that thinking behavior, and you know there's that self you know, affirmation, Oh I keep doing this, this is the right thing. My friends are doing it. It's the right thing. We'll keep doing this. It's the right thing, even though there might be a better idea somewhere. So it's all those things. There are a lot of egos and medicine surgeons, you know, especially in my field.
Speaker 1: And then I think you're I think you're right. There are government and.
Speaker 4: Economic pressures, yeah, big pharma, and you know it's the tail wagging the dog, right, they need a disease so they can have a pill to fix it. So we have these new disease codes, yes, so that you can pay for a pill. And then why is healthcare so expensive? Because it's sick care. It's a game.
Speaker 1: And also I think like when when you have believed something for a long time, or when what you do and the way that you do it is intertwined with your identity, you know, so and that becomes so if all of a sudden, you know, what I believe and what I think and my protocol and even my theology or philosophy or practice or whatever. I've been doing it this way for a very long time, and my sense of self is tied into that. Then if that's wrong, I don't know who I am, so that can't be wrong. So you're wrong and you can fuck off. Yep, do you know what I mean? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, the which probably ties into the ego, right. Your ego does not like to be questions. So if you if you create your own set of rules, there's no good way unless you're really open minded and looking at those rules and rethinking them and reevaluating them on a regular basis one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: I was, I'm trying to find something now, which is a terrible thing to do in real time. I put up this thing yesday, Doc, and I said, if pill existed that can do what strength training can, it would be the biggest selling drug in the world. And I wrote, increased muscle strength and size builds strong and more resilient muscles, bone densityduice as a risk of osteoporosis and fractures. Hands has metabolic right calorie burn even at rest, promotes fat loss, helves reducing body fat, preserving muscle boost functional fitness, reduces injury risk, improves posture, enhances mental health, sports cardio Vashcaloue like this whole raft of things. That's obviously I'm an exercise physiologist, some bias, right, But if I invented a drug that can do that shit, I'd be a billionaire, right. But people are not other than people like me, are not running around promoting that because it doesn't make anyone. Well, it makes a few people a few dollars, but you know what I mean, It's like, this is not a popular message with some people. Well it's a difficult message.
Speaker 4: You know, we have a population, particularly here on this side of the globe, of people who don't want to get off the couch, so they would take your billion dollar pill. And you know, you think about if I can tap into what you said there, You're one hundred percent correct when we look at longevity, because you can't go into regenerative medicine and not be in the anti aging space, the helpful longevity. Yes, when you look at two things that we know that correlate with longevity, yep. One is muscle mass, lean muscle mass, and two in bone density. And if you're doing weight bearing exercise, you're taking care of bone. And why why is that? Because, as I said earlier, the largest store of your own stem cells, your own youth supporting particles, are in your bone marrow, and you support your bone. You're supporting your marrow, and you're supporting your stem cells. They will help keep you young, they will help prepare you. They all prevent problems. So exercise for life. Exercise stimulates the muscle mass, the biggest source of minochondria, which are kind of a cell within a cell. You got to take care of them. And use of muscles releases myo coines. Have you heard that term before? These are small peptides made by muscles that help circulate around the body. They help prevent dementia, they help stimulate hot health. There now, so that billion dollar pill is probably going to be a myokine.
Speaker 1: You're probably going to a myokine's it's and I think that apart from the fact that some people don't want you selling the exercise pill because it doesn't serve their agenda or their commercial bottom line, of course, and I understand that because that's how commerce works. But the other thing, too, is that exercises hard and pills are easy. True. You know, it's like we like the idea of change, doc, but we don't love the process, like the idea of being fit, lean, strong, functional, healthy? Love that love that. Okay, here's what you need to do to create that? Nah? Fuck that I wanted to do that. Well, well, this is this is philosophically we're talking about. Is progress efficiency? Right?
Speaker 4: We become more efficient. We have washing machines and uh, you know, computers that do our calculations, and now we have AI that can even do a lot of thinking for us. So so why not not, you know, take a pill instead of the actual exercise. And I understand that there's this mindset of progress, but we probably need to redefine that because, uh, there's no better muscular stimulation than that which comes with a neuro muscular component, meaning the brain has to send the signal to the muscle. You don't get the same kind of growth and development and maintenance of a muscle, uh without without stimulating it directly.
Speaker 1: We we seem I'm I'm generalizing here, but to me anyway, it seems like in general terms, a lot of us are more reactive rather than proactive when it comes to just anything health. You know, mental health, physical health, Like we wait till something breaks and we go, oh my god. You know, rather than saying, look, I'm thirty and I'm in relatively good shape, maybe I should get in a bit better shape and create some habits and an operating system and a protocol that's going to work. You know, food, exercise, lifestyle, sleep, all of those variables that impact the stuff we're talking about. What if I created now at thirty before it's dire straits. What if I created an operating system now that might work well into my eighties and nineties, Yeah, then you would.
Speaker 4: You would be smart to do it. You would be ahead of the curve. And we need to teach these habits to the kids like we did seventy five years ago. Right, we learned this in school. You learn to exercise and be healthy, and now you know, it's it's a very different thing, at least here in the States.
Speaker 1: So I always talk about lifelong learning, and you seem to be a lifelong learnable. You are a lifelong learner. So what are you learning at the moment and what's exciting you at the moment, like what has your attention?
Speaker 4: So these two things sort of overlap it's what's excites me, and what I'm learning about is how we can use select aspects of regenitive medicine to improve our immune system to fight cancer. And wouldn't that be wonderful to have these natural biological approaches to cancer as opposed to chemotherapies and radiations and other harmful approaches, notwithstanding the idea that some of those work right now and it's the state of the art, yes, it could be better options.
Speaker 1: And where is the profession at or the research at in terms of that becoming more of a curiosity or a thing that we're interested into that maybe being it out in some way or you know, practically adapted and adopted.
Speaker 4: Well, like any things, you have early adopters, and we'd like to call ourselves biohackers who try things. And when you have cancer or a loved one has cancer, you know you're you're open minded, you're willing to try things, right, it's called compassionate use. So as we're able to get our hands on some of these selective regeneritive biologics, we are, there are already people trying these out on one off situations, so there there aren't really good controlled studies yet but you know, like anything, it's got to start with an observation here and there before a study is born. So I think we're within a few years of seeing some of these. We already have some aspects of it. There's something called car T cell c r SHT, which is a mechanism of using the immune system to enhance it to go after cancer. But I think it's going to get easier and better.
Speaker 1: Is there a country, doctor Jeff, that is kind of at the forefront. Is there one country in the world that's, for one of a better term, the most open minded? Well, I don't know that I call China open minded as a country, right right, but they certainly.
Speaker 4: Blaze the trail in trying things, and all the early work of something usually comes out of China.
Speaker 1: Interesting if we were looking at like overall health outcomes for you know, the general population. And again this is I've asked this to a few people, and it's just a guesstimate. I don't expect, you know, anything necessarily research base. But how much do you think it's about what I was born with, my genetics, and how much is about my you know, my lifestyle choices, habits, behaviors, you know, self regulation, food, all that. What do you think the ratio is all the percentages?
Speaker 4: Well, had you asked me this ten or more years ago, I would have said mostly the genetic component, mostly what you were born with nature. But I think we've learned through a lot of the biological age clocks, the you know, horrvouth work, the epigenetic work. It's lifestyle choices. Nurture has a bigger component in how our health is and how our longevity, our healthy longevity goes.
Speaker 1: I feel like, I don't know if it's just that I'm paying more attention or it's getting more airtime. But when I was a kid, which was two hundred and thirteen years ago, like there was not obviously there wasn't the same level of discussion around mental health that there is now, which of there should be, But it seems like eight out of ten people have in inverted commas have anxiety, right, and just I'm interested in like the relationship, but like because anxiety has an impact on our physiology, right, and you know everything from heart rate and blood pressure and endocrime system and nervous system and all of that. Talk to us a little bit about your thinking around anxiety and the impact on health. And I don't know what we might because I would say if twenty thousand people listen to this today, eight ten thousand of them deal with anxiety, if not regularly, then semi regularly. What are your thoughts around that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think and even some of those that aren't dealing with it often may have a subclinical variety, meaning they don't feel the symptoms of it, but they're having elevated cortisol levels, which is the stress hormone. Uh, there is, you know, the brain is current, is constantly stimulated.
Speaker 1: There is.
Speaker 4: You've got smartphones with so much data flashed in front of you. Uh, a lot of this data is lit up, it's in it's in bright lights and in screens like we're using right now to have this broadcast. Yes, and it's it's you know, our nervous system was was made for you know, light and dark cycle sun and you know daytime, night time, and the cortisol is supposed to shut off when the when the sun goes down, and uh, we're supposed to get restorative sleep. Most people with a level of anxiety from all the stress during the day and not just like stress from work and family, but just the the bombardment of neural stimulus, you lie, uh cause us to be unable to settle down and get into that mindful, meditative, uh deep relaxed date to get good sleep hygiene. So our sleep is not as good. So I think anxiety is a product of the mass of information, the speed of information, and the format in which it's coming. And the one simple thing people can do is just shut it off when the sun goes down. You know, you can read a book, you can talk, you can listen to music, but don't you know, turn off the computers, the smartphones, the screens.
Speaker 1: And I'm guilty of it too, Craig, I'll admit it right here.
Speaker 4: You know, I'm on my phone sometimes. But we need to really really relax, and that doesn't mean continue to stimulate our nervous system when we're trying to relax.
Speaker 1: Yeah, think about how we live now with all of the resources and tools and tech and you know, like hop a vigilance around bloody, you know, all of these, as you said, these inbound stimuli. And if I don't know, we've been around three hundred thousand years or something as a species, depending on what you believe. But for nearly all of that. We didn't have the stuff that we currently have, like for ninety nine point nine percent of mankind's journey, human kind's journey, like, we didn't have all the shit that we have now that can create all of these problems. And you know, but and now we're having children born into a world where they've never known anything else. Like they're literally handed an iPhone or a tablet at twelve months and they're learning to navigate technology at one year old or eighteen months old. Because it you know, and I'm not a parent, so there's no judgment here, but it's almost like the impromptu babysitter. And I understand that there's no judgment in that, but it's like, you think the world is the world is not what it once was. It's so different. And I know that's an obvious thing to say, but it's been an exponential kind of change, hasn't it agree completely?
Speaker 4: You know, you go back one hundred, one hundred fifty years and we didn't have anything, right, We didn't have electricity, So we sat on campfire or your stove or your fireplace, and you went to bed and you rested, you really rested. You didn't have much to worry about it.
Speaker 1: And you think about that one hundred and fifty years ago version of us, the thousand year ago version of US was kind of not that different, and the two thousand year ago version not that different, you know. One hundred and fifty years ago, like you said, no electricity, virtually none of the drugs we currently have, no motor vehicles, no planes, no technology as such, you know. And then in the last one hundred and fifty years or thereabouts, the world has changed more than in the three hundred thousand years before by a thousand, you know. And then and our body wasn't built for and didn't evolve for what it's currently in the middle of.
Speaker 4: Right, So while we have improvements in health technology like antibiotics and things that have have helped, you know, increase our lifespan. Yes, now we're fighting up against the ceiling because we have this alternative pressure of the stress and the inflammation and the damage happening to the brain and body. And that's why we're sort of static with a lot of our life expectancies now.
Speaker 1: Yes. Yeah, one of the things that I do doc with people that I coach, So I just finished doing a ten week mentoring program with a bunch of people, and I do a fair bit of one on one stuff. But one of the things that I recommend, you know, it's just a thought, it's just a recommendation, it's not a prescription. But I recommend people spend three days a year by themselves, three days a year by themselves, no phone, no technology, no TV, no media, no social media, and if possible, no other humans. Right. I did this for ten days when I was having a bit of a midlife not or an early midlife crisis, when I was in my early thirties and I was trying to figure out essentially what I wanted the rest of my life to be. Like, I had all these businesses, I had five different businesses. I was doing well. I was commercially and professionally doing well. But in the middle of all that doing well, I was a physical, mental, emotional, spiritual train wreck. And I'm like, how come from the outside looking in, my life is amazing, but the inside out experience is fucking horrible. Right, And so I thought I need to And it wasn't that I was doing anything bad or like my situation was actually amazing. I was blessed, but in the middle of that situation. It wasn't working, and I went away and I spent ten days by myself. And anyway, for me, that ten days was a revelation and the beginning of something of a revolution in my own life. Right, it's just because I got to know me a little bit, and I was so I had so many issues. I still do, but so much insecurity, so much bullshit, so much not dealing with reality so much and pushing things down, you know. And So I was talking to a friend of mine a couple of months ago and I told him about the three day thing. He goes, I'm going to do it, And he came home the first night he said, I can't. I couldn't cope, Like he couldn't cope for one day with like he was just in nature, right. He went to camp. He was going to camp three days, and he came home. He came home at like midnight on the first day. He said, I couldn't. He said, I was crying. I don't even know why I'm crying. I said, I that's exactly what I did. When I did my ten day one first day or two or three. There was so much shit coming up because I was so used to being distracted and busy and having my head and not even letting myself feel whatever was going on, good, bad or indifferent. You know. So I don't know why I'm telling you all this, but I feel like, you know, we used to be nature like we used to go. Now we go. I'm going to go, and I love it when I'm in nature, Whereas once upon a time we were nature like we were part it was, we were just part of a system of nature. And now we're just in this fucking alternate reality and we need to drive to wherever to go sit by a tree.
Speaker 4: It I imagine being like New York City, you have to go to the park. It's the only place, right, It's You're absolutely right. If you really want to overcome anxiety and depression, you learn to be lonely, learn to be with yourself and your thoughts and that.
Speaker 1: It's a key. And you know, we need to impart that upon our children.
Speaker 4: And and and and not to be dependent because when you when you that dependency is not there for a minute, your anxiety peaks, your depression peaks, and it is challenging.
Speaker 1: I believe wholeheartedly what you're saying. Yeah, if I think you need to tell the doc about your twelve minute MRI and how you had ants in your pants this morning and you couldn't you couldn't call on tell him what you.
Speaker 3: Had mountain in there. It's no mountain when you're not you know, when you're not allowed to move part of your body and then all of your body goes, you have to move that part of your body. It was just twelve minutes of absolute torture. I had to pretend for as long as I could that it was my feet that I couldn't move, so that the focus was on my feet, so that if I was doing micro movements, it was going to be my feet, not my neck.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and my eyes are tough, but an amazing technology. What we can see with that, you know, is well well beyond our time that that was a technology, probably before it's time.
Speaker 1: We're going to wind up, doc. But is there anything that we can learn from ancient wisdom? Listen to your grandmothers. If your grandmother said eat fruits and vegetables, she was right. If your grandmother said get a full night sleep, she was right. If she said, you know.
Speaker 4: All kinds of different you know, old grandmother wisdom, she was right all those things stimulate your health, your stem cells, and what happens in most cultures when you're sick, they make your chicken soup, right, yes, because the chicken soup is made from chicken stock, chicken bone marrow, chicken bones, and those bones release the stem cells and the stem cell exosomes to make you healthy. And think about some some other health aspects of stem cells.
Speaker 1: You can get.
Speaker 4: You can get bone broth, which is very healthy. You can eat bone marrow, which has themselves, and I mean there are so many ways that that we've known. I mean, even other species eat bone marrow, right see yeah, yeah, yep, they know it's healthy. They've figured it out somehow. So we're just now learning that again through the science side. So we can make it sound like we're smart, but it's nothing that new.
Speaker 1: It's so funny. It's almost like we come full circle and like twenty twenty four, we think we're so smart, We've got so much science, so much tech, so many tools, so much research, and then from a health point of view, we've never been worse. Fuck, We've never been less. We got more shit, more knowledge, more tools, more gurus. We've never been more fucked as a species really struthfully.
Speaker 4: So the solution is to get up and move. Exercise is the is the billion dollar p You can save yourself a billion dollars.
Speaker 1: So you're absolute right, doc. Before we let you go, do you want to point our listeners towards anything any any of your work, any of your products or services or website? How do they do that? Yeah?
Speaker 4: I'm not much of a salesman, but if anyone out there has some kind of issue or problem or they want to, you know, see if regenitive medicine is an option for them, separate from something traditional, just to talk about it. I'm your guy. Go to re clebrate dot com and reach out to us. We're on the Instagram, LinkedIn Facebook, all the fun stuff the kids are on.
Speaker 1: Just but turn your phones off at dark. Yeah, good idea, Doug, Can I ask a rude question? How old are you? Fifty nine? Hey? You look good, dude, whatever you're doing, but everyone he looks good. It's fucking annoying how good he looks. He looks like forty five. And customer too. I've used these things myself, so yeah, yeah, I look like I look like an old leather boot. He looks like a brand new added as Rome. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Come visit us in here in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA. We'll take care of your shoulder and we'll get you fixed up like a brand new Italian leather shoe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that would be good. We'll say goodbye, our fair doc, but we appreciate you for the moment. Thanks for being on the You project. Thank you for having me