Speaker 1: From The Australian. Here's what's on the front. I'm Claire Harvey. It's Monday, December one, twenty twenty five. China has seized a commanding lead over the United States in sixty six of the seventy four critical technologies that will define the coming era, like AI, space research, environmental engineering and quantum computing. Australia is likely to fall short of the government's twenty thirty target for renewable energy. The Clean Energy Regulator says it's hoping for a better year in twenty twenty six. Those stories are live now at the Australian dot com dot AU. As aircraft become more computerized and even pilotless, they're also more vulnerable to space events like the giant solar flare that put an air bus into an commanded dive and grounded thousands of flights over the weekend. So should we praise the manufacturer for acting quickly or rethink the risk of autopilot systems altogether. Robin eInsight is The Australian's aviation writer and she's joining me on what turned out to be a chaotic weekend for anyone who was trying to fly in America. It's been Thanksgiving weekend and a whole lot of families plans have been thrown into chaos by the sudden grounding of thousands of aircraft made by the European manufacturer Airbus Robin What happened at airports around Australia and around the world on the weekend.
Speaker 2: Well, this directive from Airbus went out late Friday that all air Bus A three twenty aircraft, and that was a variety of models from the A three one nine, the A three one eight and the three twenty one as well as the H three twenty that they required software update. That was about five one hundred aircraft worldwide, and another nine hundred of the older models actually needed a new on board flight computer altogether. So that directive went out and as a result, airlines had no choice but to ground those aircraft and carry out the update, which in Jetstar's case, had to be carried out for thirty four of its A three to twenty aircraft, which took a considerable amount of time given each of the software updates took about an hour to carry out.
Speaker 1: A lot of these aircraft that were affected are single aisle kind of workhorse planes. What kind of routes are they flying in Australia.
Speaker 2: Well, they fly predominantly domestic routes in Australia, and they also do some short haul international routes, say to Bali, to New Zealand, to Fiji. So all of those routes were impacted by this directive.
Speaker 1: So what it precipitated this was a sudden loss in height on a Jet Blue flight a couple of weeks earlier. Tell me about that what had happened there?
Speaker 2: Yes, the flight was going from Mexico to New Jersey and shortly, probably about less than an hour into the flight, they experienced this uncommanded loss of altitude that was so sharp a number of passengers were injured, had cuts and bruises. So the pilot elected to make an emergency landing at Tampa in Florida, and when they arrived, the aircraft was looked at. It was grounded until the Federal Aviation Administration and Jet Blue carried out an investigation. In the course of this investigation, it was discovered that solar radiation had impacted a digital component in the onboard computer, and it just happened to be that digital component that effects the elevator and eleron of the aircraft so affects its ability to go up and down.
Speaker 1: The word uncommanded is absolutely terrifying, Robin. It must have been horrendous being on that plane.
Speaker 2: It would have been, and particularly so for the pilots who wouldn't have really known what was happening. All of a sudden, it felt like the aircraft would have taken over and it had suddenly started descending despite their best efforts to keep it on a steady course. So you can understand why they would have been keen to land as soon as possible.
Speaker 1: Airbus A through twenty is use something called fly by wire, which is the sophisticated computer I guess interface between the pilot and the parts of the plane that make it go up and down and make it go flaps, elerons and so on. The fly by wire is designed to almost soften a pilot's reactions to things, so to interpret what the pilot is doing or telling it to do, and then to make that happen. And it's designed to avoid any sudden changes or drops in altitude or anything like that. The fact that in this instance, the fly by wire system is what was operating the air bus at the time that it suffered this dive. It speaks to how sophisticated modern airplanes are, but it also speaks to the fact that the pilot sometimes doesn't actually have any control at all.
Speaker 2: It's pretty terrifying when you think about it, and that, I guess has been an ongoing criticism of Airbus aircraft that they do rely so heavily on computers, bowing to an extent, still uses more of a manual operation. I've heard it described as using pulleys and cables. I'm not quite sure that it's that basic, but the Airbus is very much their fly by wire model, where the pilot is almost secondary to the computers in some instances.
Speaker 1: Is it possible that at some point in the future, as planes become more and more sophisticated, that there won't actually be human being sitting in cockpits.
Speaker 2: Well, that's certainly the case, and already Airbus is developing a freighter aircraft that will only require one pilot, and pilots themselves are very concerned about this move. But this particular freighter aircraft is very much in demand by airlines who see considerable financial benefits to it. They see that it's a safe aircraft because of the technology that's used. But how long it is before we move to that for commercial passenger aircraft is certainly a cause for concern within the pilot community and probably in the passenger community too.
Speaker 1: Robin, why was it airbus planes that were so strongly affected by this as opposed to other manufacturers like Bowling.
Speaker 2: Well, that's a good question. It sounds like it was a time and place issue. It has been described to me that solar radiation is the high energy particles that collide with the Earth's atmosphere, generating a cascade of secondary particles, including neutrons, protons, ions, and photons, And in the context of Adonix, neutrons are the primary concern.
Speaker 1: I'm just going to pause here for a sec to tell you about solar flares. Now this is coming from someone who isn't that interested in space, but I'm suddenly paying a lot of attention. A solar flare is when a dark spot on the Sun suddenly errupts. Right now, the Sun is nearing the peak of its eleven year cycle of activity, and throughout November there were solar flares and something called coronal mass ejections, where huge volumes of plasma exploded out into space. That phenomenon is normal. It's what causes the beautiful northern and southern lights, the auroras. But it can interfere with electronics, computers, and radio transmitters down here on Earth. Our atmosphere blocks most of that, but satellites and high flying aircraft are less protected and their computers can be seriously affected.
Speaker 2: And in this instance, neutron struck a digital component in the plane, so it may have been a case of bad luck rather than something that would have happened more in a more widespread Nature's that's my very layman's understanding of it, anyway.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my layman's understanding is that it does something. Potentially, if this happens, it can cause something called a bitflip, where a zero and a one in a computing system are transposed and the computer gets confused. In an airbus A three twenty, there are at least three computers on board that are flying the plane, and they're supposed to be able to override an accident like this happening to one computer, it would suggest that the problem is bigger than Airbus could have possibly anticipated.
Speaker 2: Right Indeed, And I guess that's why it's taken the action that it has to do its best to safeguard the computers in all other aircraft perhaps didn't have this protection before, and to ensure that the chances of something like this happening again is very very much minimized.
Speaker 1: I'm hearing praise for Airbus for having taken action quickly and for having grounded planes, even turning planes around that were in the air at the time that the recall was announced. But what's your view, Robin, as someone who's covered aviation for a long time. Should we be praising Airbus here or should we be concerned that Airbus had allowed itself to be in a situation where perhaps its computers were not properly protected from solar radiation.
Speaker 2: I do think in this instance they do deserve praise. I mean, we look back at the Boweing seven three seven Max eight episode where there was one fatal crash and it was very much linked to this new system that Boeing had put on the plane without telling a lot of people, and rather than taking action then they waited until there was a second fatal crash before more action was taken to ground the aircraft and to rework. I guess the computers on board, so they didn't have this fault in them. So in that context, I think you have to praise Airbus for not mucking around for sort of as soon as it realized what was the likely cause of this uncommanded drop and altitude for the Jet Blue flight, it released the direction to pretty much ground most of the A three twenty fleet and make these corrections.
Speaker 1: How do you think other manufacturers will be responding now? Will they also be looking at the hardening that their computer systems have from solar radiation? For example?
Speaker 2: Within the airline community, there's always learnings taken from any sort of incident, So there would certainly other aviation companies such as Boeing and Braier they would be looking closely at this and making a decision as to whether they have to take action against their own onboard computers and software. That the sort of computers we're talking about, that they're closely guarded secrets in the airline industry. So just exactly you know, how the Airbus computers differ from others, we don't know, but that they would certainly be trying to take any lessons that could be learned from it.
Speaker 1: This incident reminds me of other sort of sudden loss of altitude moments that have happened in the air in recent years. Do you think any of those might have been connected to a similar situation?
Speaker 2: Well, I did wonder if they would go back and look at other other episodes of sudden losses in altitude that didn't have an obvious explanation. Often we put them down to clear air turbulence. So it will be interesting to see if they go back and review some of those instances through this lens.
Speaker 1: Coming up? Will this moment cause airlines and manufacturers to rethink the trend towards fully automated flying. You're a regular passenger as well as an aviation expert, Robin does knowing a lot about the way planes work and the safety of ours guys make you a more nervous flyer or a less nervous flyer. And how do you behave on a plane with all of this in the back of your mind.
Speaker 2: Well, to an extent, it makes me more confident because I know that the chances of anything going wrong greatly minimized in the air, just because it does have such a safety first focus. But also knowing that take off and landings are that the highest risk phases of the flight makes me very nervous. On landing, I have to say I do get a bit anxious until that the plane actually, you know, comes to a stop. But during the cruise flight, you know, the chances of anything going wrong is so small that you're better off up there than you would be down on the road.
Speaker 1: Will this be an inflection point do you think, Robin? In the way we think about the computerization of flying and perhaps the measures that manufacturers and operators need to take to keep their aircraft safe.
Speaker 2: It's hard to imagine them stepping back from computerization because it is such an integral part of aircraft manufacturing. So it's hard to imagine this would and especially given the fact that there weren't any fatalities involved. There wasn't a whole loss. Makes me suspect that although it's been taken very seriously, it's not going to result in a dramatic change.
Speaker 1: Robin Einside is The Australian's aviation writer. You can check out all Robin's reporting, plus the rest of Australia's best journalism anytime at the Australian dot com dot au