Speaker 1: I get aid, boys and girls. It's a bloody of you project, it's harps. It's another day in the life of all of us, which is bloody terrific. I wonder how many days we have in a life? What's ten years? Would be three hundred three three and a half thousand times. That's a lot. Seventy thousand, eighty thousand days.
Speaker 2: T Hi hi, Oh, we have fourteen hundred and fortylation. What that's my calculation?
Speaker 3: A lot?
Speaker 1: Yeah, a lot, fourteen hundred and forty minutes in a day. Isn't it amazing how quick a day can go and how long a minute can go. Yeah, Like a minute can be fucking forever depending on what you're doing.
Speaker 2: And I took way too long to realize that saying I would just wish I had another day a week or another hour in the day would not change anything, because I would just do exactly what I'm doing and use it on shit and then complain about it.
Speaker 1: That's one of the you know, I did this little kind of pseudo study when I was a young PT and the number one reason not excuse, reason, nudge, nudge wink people gave me for not being in shape was that they didn't have the time. I'm like, would have nothing to do with your behavior or habits or fucking willpower or choices or diet or exit. You know, it's like, it's not a me thing, Nicole, welcome to the show.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 1: It's not a me thing. It's a time thing. Or because if it's about time, then I don't have to take responsibility because I'm not in charge of time. You know, times are fixed thing. You know. And then you go, well, it's like people who go on time poor. I go, how are you time poor? You've got the same fucking minutes as everyone else per day, but you've got exactly the same allocation, so your time equal.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, I've got a thing about time. I've got a bit of a d here about time. What about doctors? Why can't a doctor ever run on time? How can you, day after day have a schedule of people and right from the first appointment you're running late.
Speaker 1: Now do you want an actual answer or do you just want to vent?
Speaker 4: I really want to vent being give me an answer to it.
Speaker 1: Well, I think the answer is they just don't allocate enough time for the doctor. I think it's the system. I think it's the business model, Like the business model is depending on which place. It's like, we didn't think we'd start here. Fuck, sorry, listeners. I think the business model is, you know, like in some places eight minutes. Well, how on earth can you give any one great care? I don't think it's the doctor's fault. I think it's the system. And I think if the doctor's running late, it might ironically be an indication that they care, because you know what I'm saying. But although I did do a phone consult the other day because I just needed some blood pressure medication that I take. No everyone on it's not because I'm out of shape, It's because mum and dad's genetics. But start to finish. The whole consult on the phone was three hundred three three and a half minutes. So what is that one hundred and eighty three and ten seconds. I remember getting off going, fuck, that's good money for them. But I think it's like seventy bucks. I'm like they had a win. Yeah that's twenty dollars a minute. That's a good alley rate. But anyway, I got my drugs. You know, a BP's back down, you know, not clutching my chest anymore, didn't have to drive anywhere. But Tiff, how are you?
Speaker 3: I fabulous? I'm fabulous.
Speaker 1: Let's let's give us thirty second review. Because you've been away, you've been up north, You're at one of the world's bloody biggest speaking conferences. It was bloody, all the bells and whistles, and you, according to you, were the best and the superstar. It was.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 1: It's been renamed the Tiff Show. Get the fuck behind me, the rest of you fucking amateurs.
Speaker 4: Is that true what you were telling us, Tiff?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, all of it, apart from being the best, which is it's a burden. I mean, good on you, though, like do it.
Speaker 3: Though, it's a heavy boad to carry.
Speaker 1: The funny thing I see is that you're never putting anything on social media. You keep it so low key.
Speaker 3: Show Wallflower. What can I make?
Speaker 1: It's the humility that I love. I did a humility workshop on the weekend. By the way, I was the best. How half of our audience is laughing half a gun? Well that doesn't make sense. Did you have a good time though?
Speaker 3: I really did.
Speaker 2: I just adore being in the room with people like it gives me so much juries it's a priority of mine now to get to a bare minimum of two if not three yearly big events like that around people that are doing similar thing, Like there's that industry.
Speaker 3: I did a post about it.
Speaker 2: I just think that speakers are probably one of the few that can be around their.
Speaker 3: Peers and genuinely.
Speaker 2: Want to see people succeed and help people succeed and.
Speaker 3: Cheer them on.
Speaker 2: And I don't think that's typical for all industries.
Speaker 1: Oh definitely not. And I don't think it's even typical for speakers across the board necessarily, Like there's a fair bit of it's like yeah, but if you can mean that environment with a bunch of speakers all there for a very similar reason, it's amazing. And that having somebody who's in your corner. Speaking of speakers, Michael Sedric Haller is going to become a speaker. I'm going to turn him into a fucking megastar because he's got all the bits and pieces, but he's just as lazy as fuck. He's like a fucking four year old in a lolly shop. He's got the attention span of a fucking ferret.
Speaker 4: So I can't know.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to wrangle his brain and his life and his stories and his insights and his experience into some kind of product, because I think the illustrated man and a pair of jeens and a T shirt working out might ruffle a few feathers but also share some insights that lots of people would enjoy hearing. That's my theory. And we're getting underway very soon, aren't we, Michael, I think so we are.
Speaker 4: We are.
Speaker 1: We're starting weekly coaching Mick and I, which is I made him put on his big boy pants yesterday we had lunch. We spoke about grown up things.
Speaker 4: Those pants.
Speaker 1: By the way, can I just side? Oh yeah, I'll look at you. You just pointed to one of his numerous boxing bloody felt in the background, Champion just saying, yeah, keep a lid on it though. Okay, So yesterday Tiff and I tiff. Yesterday, Michael and I went out. Mick and I went out, had we're going to have a coffee. We had a coffee and the lady came up and said, do you want to lunch? I went no, I'm good and he ordered scrambled eggs with chicken, and I went, fuck, how good does that sound? And I don't normally eat lunch, but I'm like, well, it's just protein and a bit of at, and so I ate the scrambled eggs and the chicken, which was backstroking in about a gallon of butter. Couldn't have been any yummier butter, eggs, chicken, salt, pepper. I inhaled that like the fat kid that I was at a birthday party and and it was so How good was it? Mick?
Speaker 4: I'm still thinking about it before you even mentioned it. That's on my mind.
Speaker 1: So fucking delicious. I want to go back with it. But we ate that at probably one o'clock. I had zero hunger until nine point thirty last night. Yeah, like I was like, yeah, like I didn't feel anyway. Sorry everyone, that's boring, but it's so funny. And it was a relatively small meal, Like it wasn't a huge meal, but it was so calorically dense and so much good stuff. Jeez, I might do that once a week anyway, Enough about that, Mick, how are you?
Speaker 4: I'm pretty good. I'm full, but I'm good. Yeah, I'm good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that took her well. I got to like normal dinner time. I was actually still quite full.
Speaker 4: You yeah, absolutely same here. And I have to admit that when I was sitting there in that cafe and watching you wolf down that eggs and chicken, I was very very taken aback because I've done many, many, many many over a long period of time, many years. I've done many lunches with you, and I've never seen you actually eat that lunch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I try not to.
Speaker 4: I'm quite surprised to see that, and I'm quite chuffed because this is one of my meals.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: It's funny, you know, as a boxer and a person that's competing all the time, people would be amazed with my doll I mean my diet. I mean that chicken and eggs. I'll have that probably three times a week. I eat passed it virtually every night, and I've got very very very low body fat and I've got good muscle density, and it's just amazing what your body can do and how much it's sort of you know, it can it can thrive on certain foods, and having all that protein was just beautiful, you know, like it just keeps me, keeps me full all day. Yeah, I'm I'm not hanging for something with wishing that it was a bigger meal or anything like that. It just just holds me and I can still train at a pretty high level and you know, expend all my energy and it just gives me everything I need.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, I mean you're super lean and you've got apes of muscle and you're an athlete, so whatever you're doing. It's so funny though people get caught up in like how many calories is in that? Now? Calories matter, of course, yes, But the thing is when you eat something like that, like if I had a had you just reminded me if I had had a sandwich, which I wouldn't, but if I had a sandwich, I would have been hungry three hours later. Yeah for sure. But I literally and when I did eight dinner finally it was half my dinner because I'm like that that shit just just it didn't destroy me because I felt good. But I'm like, oh I could I reckon, I could almost eat one of them a day and I'd be done. Yeah, probably not more, but you know maybe, but yeah, anyway, enough about our lunches. So one of the things I talk about a lot, which everyone not everyone, but I guess a lot of my listeners know, is I'm fascinated with human potential. I'm fascinated with you know, how much of our potential we can tap into, which I did an episode very recently. You know. So there's a thing called the potential capacity gap, and the potential capacity gap is sorry, performance capacity, Sorry everyone, performance capacity. There's a lot of shit in my head anyway. The performance capacity gap is your current level of performance and capacity, I said to you yesterday, Mick, is what you're actually capable of, Like, what is your actual ten out of ten limit potential? Like foot to the floor redlining ten thousand revs? What could you do if you had to do it now? Obviously we can't redline consistently, but we tell ourselves a story. And this is an analogous to all the same as the rate of perceived exertion. We've spoken about a few times in exercise. But I was listening to you yesterday and I was just thinking, it's so fucking amazing knowing your background, which was to say less than ideal is the understatement of the millennium, like you had to Like, if I was trying to turn someone into an athlete and there was a thousand people I had in a queue, I would pick you one thousand, not because of you, not because of your genetics, but because of how fucking abused your body had been and just you know everything, are you know the mentality No, not really, I think the mentality is good, but the ship that you've done to your body and the trauma that it had been through for not a week, but for probably a decade or two, you know, And then thinking about and I want to share this because one it's just an interesting story, and two I like people to go, oh, well, if Mick can do that, or Tiff can do that, or even Harps can do that, who doesn't have great genetics? Then what could I do? Because that's the real question is not what do I think I can do? Because that's really your story about your ability versus what is actually possible for me? If I did everything I can do, really, no bullshit, no excuses, no talking myself down, no limiting, no putting on the emotional and psychological handbrake, no self sabotage. Just if I fucking was fearless and not lazy and proactive, what could I do? And I think that you know, this whole show is about potential and possibilities and performance and so it's a beautiful fit. So that we'll start from that, we'll work back from the end. So for those who don't know you at the minute, this phase of your life. Among other things, you're a boxer. How old are you now?
Speaker 4: I'm fifty four, about ten fifty five.
Speaker 1: So you're a competitive boxer, and so you're competing in the masters.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 1: What titles have you won in the last five years or whatever.
Speaker 4: I've won a WBL World title, I've won a WBL Asia Pacific super middleweight title. I've won an MBA Australian title, and I've won an MBV Master's Boxing Victoria Victorian title.
Speaker 1: So you won four titles. By the way, congratulate, it's amazing. When did you start training? Seriously, so fifty four, when did you start training to box? As in, sorry to compete? When you went right, I'd like to have a fight, and let's he's better question. When was your first fight?
Speaker 4: How old were you my first fight? I was forty nine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's crazy. By the way, everyone, I'm not recommending taking up box box. I'd rather you did I'd rather you did something else, just for cognitive function reasons. But and in your first fight. You lost, right, what was that? But did you did you come out of that going fuck this is great or fuck that, I'm never doing that again, or how did you come out of that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's that's an interesting question, you know, like I came out of that. You know, for me, it was horrendously terrifying. It was really really scary, terrifying. But I was extremely proud of myself for seeing it through. But it was terrifying. And you know, when you do something like that and you go through it and you lose as well, for me, it was it could have been soul destroying. It's certainly as an adult, you know, like a forty nine year old man. I was out in the back of the change rooms and I was crying because it meant so much to me.
Speaker 1: That's amazing, you know.
Speaker 4: I felt sort of embarrassed of that, but I was. I was crying because I meant a lot to me, and I had a lot of people telling me and doubting what I was doing and saying, haven't you know, surely this will teach you. You know, what they're trying to say is, surely this will make sure that you don't do it anymore. And me being an addict that's in recovery gone. Well, if you tell me I can't do something and it terrifies me, guess what, I'm actually going to keep doing it. And I had this just this in and knowing that I had to move past something within myself. I didn't know what exactly what that was, but I just knew that I needed to keep going and I had to move past something. I had to settle something within me, in my in my soul, in my psyche. And and like you said, like we let into you know, like there was a lot of trauma and a lot of stuff for my past and a lot of you know, a way of my life where you know, I spent you know, as we know, numerous times in prison, I was around an element where there was a lot of violence and a lot of fear and a lot of control. And you know, and I did a lot of things in my life that I was very shameful of. And you know, one of them, one of them that that sort of I haven't talked about a lot, but sort of sits in there is is that you know, I've got a young daughter that was born when I was seventeen, and you know, I was sort of out of her life at eighteen and she was one, and we didn't really reconnect again until she was twelve, and she's thirty seven now. But for a lot of her life, I mean I basically, through my addiction, I let her go and I didn't chase. I was a child myself, but I just didn't follow up and I just didn't. I let it go, you know. And I've hated myself for that all my life. And then and of course then that got me asking questions within myself at different times, like am I a coward? Am I really a piece of shit? Am I somebody that just folds when things get too difficult? Am I somebody that can't see anything through? Or what have you? So, so all of doubts, without me even knowing it, they sat inside of me for the rest of my addiction career, which thankfully I got clean and sober at thirty. So I'm twenty five years clean and sober, which is amazing. And I lived an amazing life now, thank you, thank you very much. But you know what, it's still left with me. And so I put all the drugs in the alcohol down and that's amazing, it's beautiful. Achievements, and it's great. And I've got two other kids now. My son's twenty five and he's never seen me drink or use, and my other daughter's twenty years old and she's never seen me drink or use. And we've had a beautiful life together. But you know what, there was still that part inside of me that said, are you a coward? It is somebody that can't face up and these questions I needed answered, And are you somebody that runs at the first sign of trouble? I can't see anything through, you know, And losing that first fight for me was the first sign of trouble in that context, and I had to make a decision deep within myself as to am I going to see this through? Am I going to be who I'm meant to be? I want to see who I am. I don't know who I am. At forty nine years old, I don't know who I am. I thought I did, I thought I did many times I didn't know, and now I want proof. I want to understand who I am. So I made a decision that no matter what, no matter how terrified I am, I am going to continue fighting and I will win a title because when I win that title, I can prove to myself nothing to anybody else, don't care what it says to anyone else, but to me, I can prove to myself that I'm not a coward, that even though I went through extreme difficulty and and had to walk through fear, I made it out the other side. And and let's see who's sitting there at the other end, you know, and that was what really important. That's what boxing has been about to me, you know. The whole journey's been about that, you know, and it's just been an absolute pleasure, but in a take in a painful way, an absolute pleasure, you know, to face these fears and to reveal who I truly am.
Speaker 1: The irony is listening. Feel free to jump in any time, Tift. The irony is for me. Tell me if I get this wrong. But it's almost not about the boxing. The boxing's like a metaphor or the boxings like a pathway to the things that you're really doing. It's like you trying to figure out who you are through this process and your ability to understand your because it's really almost like a self awareness journey of your mind and your emotions and your behaviors and your morality and your values and your purpose, and you learn about yourself. You know, we always talk about learning through adversity, like you don't learn in comfort, like you not that every day has got to be twenty four hours of pain, of course, but you know, you don't build resilience eating fucking chip, sitting on the couch, you know you don't, like you don't you don't build resilience when everybody's doing everything for you. But that that tenacity and that you know that and it can be anything listeners, of course. But another thing that I this is going to sound really weird. I'm glad that you hated yourself about your daughter. You know why. That's a I don't want to hate yourself anymore, but because it shows me that you're not a sociopath, because a sociopath wouldn't care. Yeah, the fact that you cared, Did you let her down? Yep? Were you a kid, yep? Were you addicted and somewhat fucking out of touch with reality? And were you out of yep yep? Doesn't make it okay. But it someone explains it, it doesn't excuse it. It's not a good thing. But that was the practical reality of your life. But then as soon as you got in a space where you were better, you weren't that person doing those things. It's like everything's clear and you're like, so for me, the you know, turned down the self hate now for sure, because it doesn't fix or change anything, but that the fact that you felt guilty, that you felt bad, that you feel that you let it down or whatever. I actually think maybe some other psychology people wouldn't say this. I think it's great because it means that on a deep level, you care. And there was a time there where, I know, the death that you were at, I don't think you could have cared about anything because you were too fucked.
Speaker 4: Correct, absolutely correct, and you know like this this I love talking about all this stuff.
Speaker 1: I really do.
Speaker 4: You know, but this relationship with my daughter, you know, has it's been tested again, you know, like so if I can just go on, I mean we reconnected when she was twelve until until my daughter was twenty about to turn twenty one, before ever in her life had she ever called me dad, right, And was also around that time the first time in her life I'd ever heard her say I love you, And that was just mind blowing, you know, and we sort of rebuilt our relationship, and I tried to make amends, you know, for for her life, really, you know, as best as what I could through the years. But unfortunately, you know, about well, I think it's about three years ago now, or certainly about two years ago, she decided to walk away from me again and cut me out of her life. And that was really hard to accept. It was one of those times again of the sort of adversity and pain that I had to sort of face up to. But actually what it did for me is that it's helped me move to a new realm within myself where I had to accept exactly what you said. I'm not happy about what happened in her childhood, of course, I'm not happy about that at all, and I wish I could change it, but I can't. Have I done everything I can to make amends for that, Yes I have, and you know what, her work walking away at the moment hurts me very deeply, but I have to forgive myself. I've done all I can to try and repair the damage, and I've had to.
Speaker 1: Let it go.
Speaker 4: Mm hmm, you know, and hate. I'm sure we'll reconnect at some point Yeah, yeah, you know, uh, and it'll be with open arms when we do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good few, man. That's tough. I mean, families are tough. Love's tough. It's like the fucking space between love and hate is about a millimeter. Yeah, you know, like some you know, some of the ship that people say to people that they love. It's fucking horrendous. Yeah, you know, and it's it's it's like then there there's a saying about that someone's probably yelling at at the fucking their phone right now. Tif do you know that the relations anyway, it's like there, what does it say? Bedfellows or some oldie world bullshit? All right, So I want to jump back into you. And so we've spoken about this before, but for those who don't know, so you you had a few cracks at suicide. One of them, you broke your ankle. You jumped off a bridge. What was that bridge again, over Burwood Highway or something.
Speaker 4: Now it was the Blackburn Road bridge over the Monash Freeway.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you jumped whatever that was thirty or forty feet because that's going to fucking sting into traffic and somehow, I mean, you didn't get out of it well, but you didn't die. I mean you clearly, dud. God does not want you at the minute, So fucking steady on the death stuff. He's like, bro, I kept you alive through all that other shit so far, it's not making a job harder. Prick, So you fucked up your ankle, so you've had a kind of a fucked up ankle ever since. That would seem inconsistent with elite sport. Plus plus you know, not feeding your body properly for years and years, plus putting toxic shit in your body for years and years and years, and then you know a few other probably medical things that we might not mention. I don't know. That's more up to you than me. But how on earth did you even?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: This gives people hope that you can have a body that's that kind of broken and get back to the point where you know, like when I see you now, you look like you look like an athlete. I'm like, how the fuck does he look like this? It's like, you look no disrespect to other fifty four year olds. But if I lined up one hundred and fifty four year olds random, you would be in the top two or three. Maybe you would be the top one, just in terms of health, wellness, fitness, performance. I'm not talking about you know, like you know, we're not talking about esthetics. No, I just mean we're not talking from an ego point of view. No, you're beautiful. Shout out to all the beautiful people like Nick. My mum would say head like a robber's dog. But anyway, that's what I would never say that though. But so what what was the journey from from? Like or bits and pieces of the journey to get in the shape that you're in now?
Speaker 4: Oh you know what it really all began, if we trace it back, It began with your good self, mister Harms. I remember coming to see you after we've done some radio together. This is about fifteen years ago, I think maybe even longer, and I came to see you because, you know, I wanted to try and start to get in shap I was overweight, I was, you know, like I was not going that well even though I was, you know, I changed my life in a lot of other areas that was certainly seem to be the next thing. And I remember you sitting there talking to me about my relationship with food and how that's something that needed to change and need to change that psychological relationship that I have with food. And you also started helping me to train a little bit, and that's where it all began for me, you know. And I started to chip away at my fitness and my health and slowly but surely, it's taken me a long time, slowly but surely I've transformed my body. The first transformation was back then, and it happened over about I don't know, maybe a one or two year period, and I lost all the weight that I had on and I was doing a fair bit of running and stuff. And I remember you used to tell me about the runs you used to do and you sort of land somewhere at an airport and had two hours between flights, you'd be out and running around the airport.
Speaker 1: And I absolutely did. But I was an idiot. I was an addict, just a different.
Speaker 4: Addiction powers from evil to good, you know.
Speaker 1: But it is funny, though, and this is not being disrespectful, but when i'd expect clean in inverted commons, they often get addicted to something else, do you know what I mean? Like exercise or food or lollies or I remember the ox when he got clean and inverted commas from gambling working with him at sen and he went from not smoking having like fifty a day, and then he got off those, and then he was having twenty five coffees a day, and then he got off that I don't know if this is the right order, And he'd sit in the studio on air with like a kilogram bag of lollies. So then it's sugar became the thing. It's like that personality is a motherfucker, because even though you can change your behaviors and your habits, it's just that drive for that dopamine release that you know, you just you kind of just find it somewhere else. So maybe part of that for you now is boxing right.
Speaker 4: One hundred percent of I mean, you know, it's a well known fact for us, those of us in the recovery community all over the planet, by the way, millions of us, is that we know emphatically that addiction is not curable, right, There is no cure for addictions. So what we do is we arrest it. We arrest it, and then we we shift our our kind of tendencies and our focus, our focus and our faulty patterns. We just try and direct them to areas that are way more healthy. And it's amazing what can be achieved if an addict gets recovering. And this is you know, I need to sort of mention this too, especially with my boxing. One of the one of the superpowers that I have in boxing is that I'm a recovering addict. What does that mean, Well, it means I'm disciplined, means I'm completely focused, I'm obsessed, and I'm relentless because I can direct all of my energy to it, and I I don't have blowouts on food, and I don't get on the piss because I don't drink, and I train within an inch of its life relentlessly and consistently, and it produces results. The results just come if you do that. And it's my addictive nature that I'm using in a positive way that's helped me to do that. And as I said, you know at the beginning of this that addictive nature. Isn't it funny that addictive nature has helped me to find that to uncover who I am. Yes, even though I used it for a long time to block who I was, because that's what addictions about. Addictions about blocking facing what I suspect of myself because I suspect that I'm not good enough, that I don't fit in, and that I'm inferior, and so I need to shift what I think your perception is of me. That's what addiction is. It's shifting your perception of me, so you don't say the truth.
Speaker 1: I think you've spoken about this, But obviously for a lot of people, I mean there are different drivers and different reasons and different contexts that people fall into addiction. For one of the better expression, but a lot of a lot of addiction, or some of addiction is about avoiding feelings and avoiding thoughts of just like I take this all of a sudden, I don't have to deal with that. You know, the problem is still there, but I'm not stressed about it anymore. I'm not. But now so we go all these years later, So you're a recovering addict still with these addictive tendencies. I mean, you're still Mike Hall. Yeah, right. You behave differently, you choose differently. You've got a different lifestyle, you've got new habits, you've got a different structure, you've got a different purpose and a different focus. But still you must have to be a where of not becoming a rational around training and boxing. And because even that, it's like, I know there was a time when for me training was an addiction in a bad way, you know, like when you said running around an airport. The backstory to that is I got to I had this rule for years that I had to run every day, and I mean every and if I didn't run every day, I would have I don't know what I would do, but obviously got through that, but it was totally an addiction, and I would feel depressed, I would hate myself, I would all of these things. So I remember flying from Melbourne to LA and I remember not like figuring out the time from when I left home to I got to Melbourne airport to getting on the plane, sitting there for fourteen hours whatever then and I'm like, fuck, I'm going to have about half an hour. Like if I'm not running within half an hour, I'm not going to fit in a run within twenty four hours. I know it's totally irrational, and some people go you, I'm like, oh, yeah, I was irrational as fuck. So I literally got changed five minutes after I got because I had a layover. I was going to Louisiana, and I had like two hours to wait, and yeah, I ran. I ran out the fucking front door of the airport. I ran through that lax car port car park, just sucked in all the carbon monoxide equal to what I'd ever consumed in my life. And I ran for an hour and I literally at times was almost just running in circles because you couldn't go that far, you know, I'm running, and I'm like and then when I finished, this is how I know I was an addict. Oh, it was just like this overwhelm of relief and all the anxiety went, so, you know, and then oh god, I've done it now I don't have to do it for and I knew from then I'd be fine because I've mapped it. Like, yeah, so anything, even healthy things, can become mentally and emotionally unhealthy depending on our relationship with that thing.
Speaker 4: Right, absolutely absolutely, And yeah, look, I mean I still you know, one of the outstanding characteristics of addiction is you know, defective or poor impulse control, and and and you know, like a really sort of messy judgment, you know, and and so those things are still very very much damaged within me, you know, and It takes a lot of work for me too, you know, and I've got to put many sort of strategies in place to help control that that impulse and that poor judgment and you know all that sort of stuff. So yeah, it takes a it can be a bit of a job, but it's it's worth it.
Speaker 1: Though, do you think do you think now about when you hang up the glove, Like, because you love competing, I know you've got a fight coming up very soon. If you could have a fight every weekend, I think you'd fucking do it. But like, there's going to come a time where, for a myriad of reasons, it's just intelligent to stop getting punched in the face. I know you do more punching than you get punched as a rule, but still beautiful. So you know, well look at you, Brad Pitt, you motherfucker. But just trying to anticipate that, deal with that and transition into that whatever that is in a healthy way. Like I remember when I got out of personal training kind of officially when I sold, When I got out of all of my gyms, right, I had and I thought I couldn't wait for it because I just wanted to do other shit, And I'm like, oh, if I have to adjust another bike seat or go three more, two more, one more again, I fucking hate it. Right, But when I got out, I missed it so so much, Like there was just this gaping chasm and all I wanted to do was open another gym. It took me. I'd been doing that for thirty years. Yeah, it's like you need to.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's got to be a transition out, doesn't.
Speaker 1: The one hundred percent And you need to be mentally and ready emotionally ready for that, you know. And I think a lot of people even though it's frustrating and hard, Like a friend of mine just withdrew from they were having some challenges and they withdrew from. Of course, they're doing a degree that they're doing that's been going on for three or four years, and nearly at the finish line, just went, oh fuck, could I hate this? It's not worth it. I hate it so much. They withdrew and like now four weeks later, absolutely devastated. All they wanted to do was stop doing it. Yeah, now they hate themselves that they stop doing it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I understand. I completely understand, and I've had lots of thoughts. I mean, you know, the sport that I'm doing, as Tiff knows all too well, I mean, it's extremely dangerous, especially as you get older. I mean is at any age, but as you get older, like you said, you know, like we're talking about two humans that are in there, and you know, you are focused on doing damage to another human and they're focused on that, and we're testing our skills. So there does come a time where you know it's it is silly to keep going and the damage and we could cross a line where maybe there's no turning back, you know, in terms of physical damage. And look, I'm continually monitoring that myself, and I've been asking this question myself for a couple of years now, like how am I going to stop? And when am I going to stop? And when am I going to be ready? And I had to get to that point of just going, well, I don't know when I'm going to be ready, but I just know that I'm not ready yet. And then and now though, I'm moving into a phase where I'm looking for the signs, you know, and and one of the signs is that yes, I've got a fight coming up. On the eighteenth of April, at the Q Room and it's for the state title again, Okay, but it doesn't really excite me, right, But what excites me is the guy that I'm fighting. Because the guy that I'm fighting has always been two or three steps ahead of me in development. He's what I would call the top of.
Speaker 1: The tree for me, Just for me, he'd be the top of the tree.
Speaker 4: But he injured himself a year ago and he was out for a year. And I've kept fighting, and I think the gap between us has closedow so, and so that is the exciting part about this fight for me. That's made me hungry for it again, and that's made me double down on what I'm doing, my preparation and everything else. But after that, you know, it's funny how things start to happen, and you know when you start to ask these questions. And my youngest daughter, Faith, who's twenty, I got this phone call about month and a half again, I said my dad. I said, yes, Love said, can you teach me boxing? I said, are you serious? She said yeah? I said right, meet me at the gym. Fit Life, Jim Infirnitry Goali meet me at the gym on Saturday morning at ten o'clock and I'll start training it and no winging and any bullshit, okay, dad. So she met me there at ten o'clock the next weekend, and she fucking loves it, loves it. So I started training her. And then another girl that I fight with, she's a fighter as well. She's forty years old. Her names Jasmine, So Jazzy. We've been through a lot of our boxing journey together, and Jazzy, you know, I wanted to help, you know, sort of technically with their boxing and that sort of stuff. And so I started training Jazzy on a Saturday. So next thing, I've got Jazzy and I've got Faith, my daughter that I'm training on Saturday mornings. And it just so happens about two or so weeks ago, there's another young girl at the gym, Shane and Jimmy is just turned fifteen years old and just wants to fight. Wow, let's see so much potential in her. She's so much potential. And so I said, well, Shana, you better be here Saturday morning, no bullshit, be ready to rock and roll. And next thing, I've got a team of three.
Speaker 1: Look at you, dude, You're going to be the next cast tomato. Yeah, well, you know, it's.
Speaker 4: The transition out of fighting myself, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you'll become a coach, so you're still going to be living and breathing, and that'll probably keep you on some kind of life support, emotional life support. I wanted this is a weird question, but I've just been interested about this. I don't think I've ever asked you, but when did you When was your last trip, your last tree? What age were you when you left Her Majesty's back then it was Her Majesty's care for the final time. How old were you I was?
Speaker 4: I think I was twenty eight? Okay, yeah, either twenty eight or twenty nine.
Speaker 1: And the first time you went into juvie was like what you were fifteen or something?
Speaker 4: Or first time I was in like children's court and was assigned probation offices I was. I think I was fourteen?
Speaker 1: Right, well done, Well you were, you were consistent, gave it a crack. But so I remember you saying to me, so like, for fourteen years, in and out, on and off, you were kind of in that kind of space ish yep. I remember you saying to me something like and this was probably ten years ago. I remember where it was. It was upstairs, was at my gym, it was anyway. You said something like, I'm like a twelve year old trapped in a forty year old body because you missed a lot of development. You missed a lot of just being an adult and making decisions and cooking your dinner and paying the rent and doing all the things that kids like. You missed a lot of that, which is nobody's fault but your own, of course, But you missed a lot of that normal kind of teenage young adults not so young adult development, and so you've almost had to learn how to be a grown up when you were thirty. I was in a time warp. I was in a time warp.
Speaker 4: Imagine somebody in the early two thousands still wearing fucking footy shorts from the nineteen seventies with a footy jumper with collars on it. That's kind of what it's like, you know, Like, what did all this change about thirty years ago? Mate? I was out of touch with everything, you know, and and emotionally I was a thirty year old man, but emotionally I was probably eleven or twelve. So in every concept, in every way, you can think of, you know, like I'm talking tantrums. I'm talking like screaming tantrums, throwing your mobile phone because they just come out there. And I couldn't believe I had this mobile phone in the end, and Telstra weren't being nice to me, so I smashed my phone. He kicked it down the road and abused everyone that came near me. So, you know, there was all these tantrums. There was just you know, fall in love at the drop of a hat and then be obsessed with people, and it was just it was madness, you know, madness. I was out of control emotionally and psychological and an image, unable to cope with anything at all in life because I didn't have the emotional or psychological tools or capabilities. And what I've had to do in my life in recovery. So when I say my life in recovery, I meant from thirty to fifty four about to turn fifty five, is I've had to learn how to live in the world as maybe people learned that weren't addicts and seemed to be able to do it naturally through the course of time. So I've had to relive all of that and it's taking me. I'm about to turn fifty five. Look here, I am boxing and doing what I'm doing, and I still feel like i'm you know, I wish. I wish, oh man, I wish that I could be twenty five again, because I just want to be a boxer and an athlete. That's all I want to do. I don't want do anything else. Some boxer and an athlete. And in my mind, I still am, but it's going to end because my body just can't keep doing it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then you come out of that that world of incarceration and you step into the world where you can do whatever you want, when you want, with no screws, no one looking over your shoulder, no one telling you when to eat, when to shit, when to shower up like you've just you've gone from zero freedom to complete freedom. That's just something that must be very hard to handle without blowing up.
Speaker 4: Well, it's confusing because I don't know what to do, yes, you know, and I've got nothing to do. But I want to have something to do, but I don't have anything to do, and I don't know what to do, you.
Speaker 1: Know, And it's just confusing at first, and it's almost like that's the stage with I don't mean this sound funny. That's the stage where you need a parent. Yeah you know what I mean, right, Like if we were friends, then I would have been your shudo dad for a while. You still are up all the way, but yeah, do you know what's funny about you is whenever I'm with you, like you are what you are. You're this tough guy that you've owned multiple businesses, you've done well, you've worked in radio, You've fucking won state titles, national titles, You've done all this shit. But when you and I are together, you're almost like the student. It's like fucking mister Miyagi and the karate kid. You just sit there and soak it up. I know, you know. And I'm not trying to fucking tell you what to do or how to do it, because yesterday I went to you, dude, you are You've been talking to me about writing a book and getting on stage for fucking ten years and you're just kidding yourself and you're never going to do it. In a minute, you'll be sixty and you won't have done it, and the gates closed, and you're like so, and I went, this is what I think you should do for you and you went, Okay, I mean let's do it. Want sign Yeah, because I don't want to see you waste your talent, you know, like, and I'm only saying that because I know you want to do it. It's not my idea, it's your idea. Yeah. My idea is, well, let's fucking start bugger lugs. And so this is what I'm excited to thank you. Yeah, I know I've been wasting your talent. I'm such a greeting I've been hijacking that fucking talent. But this is what I'm excited talking about. You know, being late starter is going all right, Well, at fifty five, we're going to open the door on developing Mick as a speaker, just like TIFFs opened the door a few years ago. And she's a different person and like her knowledge, her skill, her stage awareness, her it's like she's made ten years progress in three years.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And so I'm excited to see because you are You're already in front of groups all the time because you work in you know, rehab, and you're always telling you stories and you're obviously very comforty and comfortable on a podcast and blah, blah blah blah blah. But then to create a version of you that's going to stand on a stage in a corporate environment where no one necessarily knows you or likes you. They don't dislike you, they just don't fucking know you, and they don't care if you crash and burn or you're brilliant. They're just sitting there, you know. So it's a different environment, it's a different energy, it's a different context, it's a different skill set. But I know, like when you saw that fifteen year old and you went, oh, this girl could be a great athlete because you just know she's got I look at you and there's no one like you doing what Tiff does. But there's no one you know, And she's got a different kind of energy and story on stage as well, like because she's not coming in and going I'm a gurg at business, right yea, And so she's got a different angle. But your angle is like everybody is addicted to something, you know, and if you're not an addict, well you definitely know ten so and there's probably four in your life, not necessarily drug addicts or alcoholics, but you know, so I'm excited to see that development, and now that we've spoken about it publicly, you better fucking do the work made.
Speaker 4: I will be doing the work I am. I am absolutely, you know it terrifies me. I want to do it. It's like a lot of things. You love the idea, right, but then when the reality comes, where do you stand now? One of the things through boxing that I wanted to prove to myself is that, yeah, I can have the great idea that when reality comes, I want to be the guy that says I'm doing this and I do it anyway, no matter how scared I am whatever, and I'm I'm dedicated.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 4: I want to do it.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: I just know it's in me, It's in my heart that it's certainly a direction that I need to go now. But I've needed someone like Uncle Harps to, you know, wrap some structure around me and go, hey, Dick, here, this is fucking do it. And I'll help you put that together and push that along.
Speaker 1: I'm just going to say, we'll see, yeah, Okay, we'll see. We'll see.
Speaker 4: He's so hard, Tiffany, he's so hard on me.
Speaker 1: I'm like, yeah, good story mate, it's good on a podcast. We'll see get back to me in a year, Tiff, you look like he's all flat. Now, well, am I being honest with you?
Speaker 3: That's why you're chosen?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know I tell people all the time if you want to cheer, if you want to cheer squad or fucking someone to tell you you're amazing when you're not, don't come to me. I'll tell you the ship that's real. Like, you can't be objective about you, You're you. You look like you're going to say something in there a minute or two ago. Am I getting that wrong?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 1: How's your development? Like, do you feel like you've developed a lot in the last three years since you kind of or however long it is kind of opened the door on standing in front of humans for money. Obviously it's much more than that, but you know, ultimately it's a job as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think it got to the point for me where I was like why I wanted to learn about the things that I didn't know that I didn't know, you know, so I did courses with other people, I went and hung around other people, doing things different ways than what's comfortable to me. And even this last speaking engagement up in Cans, like there was an amazing opportunity, and I wasn't happy with it, but I didn't fail. And I was like, well, that's the best outcome to have some lessons, not fail in the middle of having some lessons and some new environments to have to process.
Speaker 1: That's right. And you you reef you can. You're not pretending you did awesome when I think you rated yourself for six or something or whatever. So you didn't do bad, you didn't do great, but you go away going wow, I've got a really good experience. I've got lots of interaction with other speakers. I know what I do differently. It's like losing a fight, right, or it's like whatever, you know, where you go. Fuck. I learned twenty five things. Now I've got to operationalize those put them into practice, Like you can't get better by not speaking. And that's part of the thing, is that there's that emotional and psychological vulnerability where you are literally opening up to hundreds of people that you don't know, knowing that you might fuck up. Right, that's fucking bravery. I mean that is coage, you know, And I think that's that's the thing that I put up a thing yesterday which said something like being static in a dynamic world doesn't It doesn't work. It's a problem, right, And the thing is that we do live in a dynamic world. Everything's changing, things, things happen all the time that we don't want to the world's uncertain, uncomfortable, unfamiliar, all that shit, all the uns as I talk about, that's not gonna avoid you. So you need to know that there's going to be shit coming and you're going to be ready or not. And how do you be ready? Will you train well in this context? How do you train? Will you start speaking to groups? And you might be one out of ten? I talked about my first ever twenty six I was got paid fifty bucks in a timbard to talk to all these blokes. They fucking hated me, like they couldn't get out of there quick enough. I was dog shit. I got paid fifty bucks and I fucking loved it. I loved it. I'm like, this is the best I knew. I was shit because every bit of while I didn't get feedback. They just brushed past me. And I'm like, Okay, I was crap, but I don't know why. Like with you, Mick, I know I can win a title. I was like, I know I can do this. I know I'm shit right now. And that's not self clothing, that's self awareness. Good now. No, it's like, could I go get a jiu jitsu black belt if I wanted to commit for ten years? Which I don't, But if I did, Yes, would I be fucking horrible at it at the start? Of course? Would I be somewhat shit in a year? Yes? Would I have some skills an aptitude in two or three yes, you know, and then maybe in five years I'm a little bit dangerous than in ten years I'm a black belt. But I've got to go through either the literal white belt or the metaphoric white belt in your case, building businesses, becoming a boxer, tip, becoming a speaker. This is a stage, the white belt phases, the phase that people want to avoid because everyone wants to look good and be good. They want to be at the top of the mountain. They just don't want to fucking climb. They want to black belt for nothing. Yeah, it's like, dude, it's like, yes, you suck. That doesn't mean you're a bad human, that doesn't mean you're without potential, But you can't you can't move past that level of skill or confidence or competence without sucking and without being courageous. Yeah, because it's you know, getting in a boxing ring. You both know, I don't know, but it requires immense courage. Like nobody, even even the champions, they don't get in they're relaxed. I mean maybe the odd one. But you know, I remember watching Tony Lockett one hundred years ago at some Kilda. I shouldn't say this, but anyway, fuck it, but I could tell you more, but I will say he was very nervous before games and he was arguably, well he's the greatest goalkicker of all time in the AFL in one hundred and forty years of AFL, he's the best full forward of all time. And I would see him spew every second game before the game, so nervous, so nervous. And this was when he was a champion, you know, and like because he was scared or nervous or all those normal human things. Yeah, then it would go out there and be scared and courageous like encourage It's well, you can only be courageous if you're scared. Yeah, that's right. Like if it's comfortable, well, we don't require courage. If there's no risk, we don't require courage. So correct, Well, it's been a good chat. It's we're an hour in if any parting words, I know we've left you out of a bit, but any wisdom that you.
Speaker 2: Want to and I always love to sit back and just bask in a little boxing talk.
Speaker 3: So thanks, Mick. That was a what would have.
Speaker 1: To happen for you to get what would have to happen? Sorry mix, sorry t if for you to have to get back in the ring or is there no chance? Me? Yes?
Speaker 2: Oh, just my energy right now, I'm just battling, not recovering, Like I just want to get back to being able to train, and I'm still battling that.
Speaker 1: So your physical energy is shit at the mean super Yeah.
Speaker 2: Occasionally I've gone and done a half an hour light class every now and then and.
Speaker 3: That just knocks me for six. You know, it's ridiculous, It's really fucking annoying. If I'm honest, I'd be in there at heartbeat.
Speaker 1: Mick.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'd love you to come down to add Jim and do a little bit of training with and a little bit of sparrow with one of certainly one of the girls, Jasmine actually one of our girls that we've got down there. Would be just awesome to have someone like you come down and give her some experience and some her yeah, give us some training would be it would be awesome. So if you ever ever you know, up for coming down to fit life in Furniture Gully at some stage, we'd love to have you and we'd look after you.
Speaker 3: I'm working on my recovery.
Speaker 2: If someone out there wants to fix my energy, come on in.
Speaker 1: And all else fails. If that fails, you could teach you how to do a front double bicep and a lat spread.
Speaker 3: What you know, I'm not too good at that though, haf.
Speaker 1: No, you're you're a little bit special when it comes to doing the lat spread. Even when she does a front double bicep. We're talk on bodybuilding now. Hey mate, it's been great to talk to you. Congrats, we appreciate you. You're a winner. And lets uh, let's see how this speaking career unfolds over the next year or two.
Speaker 4: It's exciting.
Speaker 1: We'll see
Speaker 4: Are you killing me