Speaker 1: Lately. General, welcome the late base.
Speaker 2: Well good Evin, great to have your company.
Speaker 3: I'm James Macpherson with Liz Storer and Caleb Bond coming up tonight. The Taliban accuse Americans of being sexist in the wake of Kamala Harris's election loss. We'll try to get our heads around that one a little later. Plus when we look at the papers, Indigenous leaders wanting to restore Aboriginal rock art that is invisible to the naked eye but has still been used as justification to close down a whole lot of Victorian climbing routes. Plus an incredible story about stalking on the front page of Tomorrow's Australian that you have to hear it to believe. And as you can imagine, a number of newspapers tomorrow marking today's remembrance memorial.
Speaker 2: Will get to all of that.
Speaker 3: In the papers, but first I want to get your thoughts on a council story. I think we're going to disagree on this one, Caleb and Liz. But Brisbane City Council have said they will charge rate payers one dollar and ninety eight cents to receive their rates notice on paper.
Speaker 2: Now, the Liberal Lord mayor.
Speaker 3: Says he's simply covering rising printing and postage costs, but the opposition argue it's a low blow for elderly people who either don't have access to the Internet or simply can't work their emails. Opposition leader Jared Cassidy told The Courier Mail it's a cost of living crisis and the LNP Council is squeezing money out of pensioners via hidden fees on their rates bill.
Speaker 2: It's disgusting, he said.
Speaker 3: Do they really think it's helpful to stick a QR code on the rates notice or offer a token gift card to try to make people go paperless and avoid their sneaky fees. Many of our local pensioners don't even have the Internet. Not to be outdone, local retiree Veldi Switzkoski, he told The Career Mail paper rates notices have been issued free since Brisbane City Council was founded one hundred years ago, but now will be penalized for the same service. I don't recall any mention of this new tax during the election campaign only seven months ago. While the Council may see it as a trivial amount, many will find it just another expense to add to the cost of living crisis. Now, I think Calebin Liz are going to disagree with me on this one, but I personally don't have a massive problem. Pensioners qualify for a rebate under rules put in place by the Brisbane City Council. There's plenty of other companies that charge you to receive your bill via paper, your power company, your phone company and others. On top of that, postage costs have gone up I think in Queensland about thirty five percent in the past two years, and it's the way of the future. Most people are issuing bills online now. Anyway, before I get to you, Caleber and Liz and you pounce al over me and accuse me ofvy no empathy for the elderly people in Queensland. Some people who are really upset about this have organized an online petition.
Speaker 2: If you don't see the irony of that.
Speaker 3: They've organized an online petition for people who don't have access to the internet to protest this Sipplay decision. Okay, Calebern, Liz, go at me.
Speaker 4: This.
Speaker 5: Why am I wrong is because it is inarguably agis. Whenever something like this comes up, I think of my grandparents. Okay, there's an entire section of society we cannot even comprehend the leaps and bounds technology has taken in their lifetimes. When they were born, computers didn't exist, much less smartphones. When I was born, smartphones didn't exist. And these guys are trying to just live their lives, pay their bills, and they're copying these what I would call a fine for simply saying, we've always received our bills on a piece of paper. If we can keep doing that, please check out this list of utilities companies that are currently doing this. This adds up over the years, and so it's not just one or two, it's this fee again and again and again that you're being charged. Now, I'll take the argument that these are private companies, but when we're talking about councils, the.
Speaker 6: Vast majority of us ought to get our bills via email anyway.
Speaker 5: So the council isn't spending millions of dollars on paper bills. It is inarguably agous because that certain section of our community don't have the first clue about how should I access my bill online?
Speaker 6: Pay my bill online.
Speaker 5: I genuinely feel for these guys We've got banks closing, We've got banks that.
Speaker 6: Are open that don't do cash. You don't carry cash, what is the purpose of you. We've now got parking meters here in Sydney.
Speaker 5: You can't pay in cash, and you can't even just blip your phone to pay anymore.
Speaker 6: It just says scan this QR code.
Speaker 5: Now, I'm not a senior, but the camera on my phone hasn't worked since June last year, so I'm well, I just can't park.
Speaker 6: Here, then, can I.
Speaker 5: We are making systems that simply do not service the most vulnerable.
Speaker 6: In our community.
Speaker 5: And if it doesn't work for the most vulnerable, it doesn't work at all.
Speaker 2: This is a new technology five minutes ago.
Speaker 3: I might buy your argument, but we've had smartphones for more than a decade, an email for longer than that.
Speaker 7: So if you ever joined on, then stuff you. It's just mean and nasty, like I'm sorry. The council compulsorily takes those rates from you. R you know, never choice in whether you.
Speaker 2: Get a service, and well.
Speaker 7: The country yeah, exactly exactly right, So they're going to take that in the country cocted, but they take that money from you against your will, and then they're going to charge you for the privilege of doing so because you want it on a piece of paper instead of online.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry.
Speaker 7: If the if the government or the council or whoever wants to come and take my money for the privilege of living in my own home that I bought myself, thank you very much, then they can send it to me on a bloody piece of paper and not charge me for doing so.
Speaker 1: You can't tell me the Brisbane.
Speaker 7: City Council, which is the biggest council in the sun. It's huge, right, biggest, it's got more than a million people in it, right, you can't tell me that they can't absorb the one dollar fifty it cost to put that thing in an envelope and put it in an Australia Post post spot.
Speaker 3: To be fair, according to the Careermaw, they offer pensioners rebates to cover this.
Speaker 1: Then they've got to go and ask for the rebate. They're going to go and ask for a rebate.
Speaker 5: I form line or call and spend half an hour on the phone, and that had the money, couldn't give a toss.
Speaker 6: That's another nightmare.
Speaker 5: Even when you call these places, you've got five options and then if you press the wrong number, well you're down the wrong rabbit hole.
Speaker 6: Then you wait for another twenty minutes online.
Speaker 5: This person said, I've got to transfer you somewhere else.
Speaker 6: It is a night mayre.
Speaker 5: It's a nightmare for a young person just trying to navigate if you want to call Telstra or whatever.
Speaker 6: It's an absolute night there.
Speaker 5: But for our seniors, which again, if these systems aren't put in place to service those.
Speaker 6: Who aren't like, oh, I'm a total.
Speaker 5: Techie, then they're not serviceable at all. Everyone should be able to use these And if you need your bill on a piece of paper for whatever reason, you shouldn't be slapped with a fine. I'm calling it a fine, all right.
Speaker 3: Let me give you another council story. This one I think the council are totally in the wrong. A South Australian couple in the area of Prospect. They have spent eight and a half thousand dollars repairing plumbing on their house that's been disrupted by roots from a council tree. Now this couple are in their sixties. She's in a wheelchair. They've gone to the council and said, look, it's a tree on council property. The roots have gorown into our plumbing. We've spent eight and a half grand which we don't have.
Speaker 2: Would you be able to help us out with this?
Speaker 3: And the council have said no because, and this is their reasoning. Council they say are caretakers of trees, but not responsible for the naturally occurring behavior of trees. Council have said they won't block the roots of this particular tree because that would damage the health of the tree. They certainly won't remove the tree. And so this couple in their sixties not only are having to pay a tax to pay their rates bill on paper, now they're having to pay eight and a half grand to fix their plumbing. They have told the Odelaide Advertiser that's a lot of money for us. We have to pay for medical bills and treatment. Sherry, that's the wife spent six months in hospital with COVID. If I touch that tree, they'll take me to court. I'm not asking to bulldoze it, but just to see if they could remove some of the roots. It's not just impacting us, this could potentially impact everyone in South Australia, in every council area.
Speaker 2: What I don't understand about this Calebn Liz.
Speaker 3: If I own a tree on my property and the roots over to your part of the property and damage your.
Speaker 2: House, I'm liable.
Speaker 3: But when it's a tree on council property, somehow they're not liable.
Speaker 2: And I think the reason is counsel right the rules.
Speaker 7: Well, well, the state government writes the rules. So it's apparently in the Local Government Act they have indemnity against this kind of thing, which is utterly ridiculous. Right, And even if the Local Government Act provides that they are allowed to be indemnified against damage caused by a council tree, you would think if a letter comes across a phone call order email comes across the desk of the council worker and it says, you know, here, we've got an aging couple, one of whom is in a wheelchair, and the trees are not only damaging their plumbing which they paid eight and a half grand for, it's pulling up the footpath, which means poor old Sherry in her wheelchair can't get in and out of the joint without assistance because she can't wheel it over the top of the now heavily damaged footpath. You'd think they just go all right, we'll pay for it and sort it out, even if we don't legally have to do so. The right thing is to pay for it and sort it out once again. You know, once upon a time, public service meant service. I mean it is the operative word in public service.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Service has just gone out the window.
Speaker 7: Whether it's charging you to send you your own rates notice or refusing to pay for the damage that a council tree has caused your property, they find every way to avoid actually providing service to people. What am I paying rates plus the cost of having the letter delivered to me for If you can't even pay for the damage that your trees cost. Surely at some point you've got to put humans first. And I'll be the first to say that I don't like trees being cut down willy nilly, because they are really important in the environment. They provide shade, they're a lovely thing. I don't want trees being cut down. But surely they could do something to alleviate this problem. But no, oh, you poor old rate payer, We can compulsorily take money from you. Stuff you you just under our thumb all the time.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and here they are saying, oh, well, where the caretakers of the tree? How about caretakers of the people in your jurisdiction. That is the crux of your job, although they've clearly forgotten, and this is what councils do time and time again. It's why we keep having these stories at least three per week in terms of regularity.
Speaker 6: They don't care.
Speaker 5: You're right, the service has gone out of the public service. You're here to serve the people we elected you, reminder, and they simply.
Speaker 6: Do not care.
Speaker 2: It is pretty miserable.
Speaker 3: It makes you wonder do miserable people get elected the council or do people become miserable having entered council.
Speaker 1: It's a little bit of both. Little bit from having served on a council.
Speaker 7: Were you miserable before you joined a miserable effort your life?
Speaker 6: Neither.
Speaker 5: I loved the job, and I got into it because I wanted to help people.
Speaker 6: I was already working for a state member.
Speaker 5: And the reason why I ran was because we had so many people in the local community coming into the electorate office to regale us with tales of local government issues, and I was like, not a state issue, and then they would just think you were yanking their chain, you're having one on, You're just trying to brush them off and get them out the door. So for as long as I was then a counselor, we were basically double barreled in that office.
Speaker 7: And I spent a lot of time in my I was going to say younger days. It's probably a bit of a misnomer. I still like to think of myself as a young man, even though in spirit I maybe about eighty five. But in my early days as a reporter, I spent a lot of time at council meetings because I was a local government reporter. And I tell you what, I saw some strange things in those council meetings, and the later it got into the night, the stranger those meetings got.
Speaker 1: I can tell you that for free.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 7: One bloke who seems to be in a little bit of trouble at the moment is Jamie Oliver.
Speaker 1: Of course, the celebrity chef.
Speaker 7: He's in Australia at the moment, spreaking, spooking his newest cookbook. But it's not the cookbook that's got him in trouble. It is a kid's book. Yes, of course, it seems to be the thing now that when someone goes, oh, you know, what can I do to make some easy money, I'll go and write a kid's book.
Speaker 1: Well, that's exactly what Jamie Oliver has done.
Speaker 7: And in the course of writing this book, he's seemingly tried to, you.
Speaker 1: Know, appeal to the woke, appealed to.
Speaker 7: The left by saying, oh, well, we'd better have a subplot in this book that involves an indigenous kid in Australia.
Speaker 1: Let's tick all the boxes. Now, I haven't read the whole thing.
Speaker 7: I don't know whether he's done the same with Indians in the US or whatever, but he thought, you know, I'll take a few boxes here, we'll check an Indigenous character in this book. Well, guess who's taken issue with the indigenous character being in the book?
Speaker 1: Indigenous people. I'm not joking.
Speaker 7: The National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Education Corporation has taken it up with mister Oliver that he's actually, through the course of writing this book, included stereotypes and tropes that are damaging to Indigenous people. Now I'll tell you what was in the book. This is how The Guardian describes this particular section of his book. It says Billy in the epic Escape that is the book, a humorous fantasy adventure novel, is set in England, but involves a subplot where a wicked woman with supernatural powers teleports herself to Alice Springs to steal a child from a fictitiously named community called Bori Lama. She wants an Australian indigenous child to join her press gang of kidnapped children who work her land because quote First Nation's children seem to be more connected with nature.
Speaker 1: You can see where this is going.
Speaker 7: The adults responsible for Ruby, a young girl who lives in foster care and likes to eat desert bush food, are distracted by the woman's promise of funding for their community projects.
Speaker 1: My god, that sounds slightly familiar, doesn't it, mister Alberizi voice.
Speaker 7: Once subducted, Ruby tells the English children who rescue and repatriate her that she can read people's minds and communicate with animals and plants, because quote that's the Indigenous way to me. She also tells them she is from m Barntois, which is the Indigenous word for Alice Springs. It uses words from the Gamalari people of New South Wales and Queensland when explaining her life in Australia. In other words, Jamie Oliver has thought, well, we've better check an indigenous character in here, but we'll do no work to make sure.
Speaker 1: That we actually get it right.
Speaker 7: He says, I am devastated to hear I have caused defense and wholly apologize for doing so. I am listening and reflecting and working closely with my publisher on next steps.
Speaker 1: I think it rather proves the point, doesn't it that when you.
Speaker 7: Try to appease the left, it doesn't usually work.
Speaker 1: They come and get you anyway. I mean, how good is oh well, we'll have an indigenous character in here? How good am I? He can't even get the languages right.
Speaker 7: He's got them all over the place, weird stuff about indigenous kids being able to read minds, And where the hell does this stuff come?
Speaker 3: Can I just say, after listening to you read that portion, I reckon you'd be good for the audio book.
Speaker 2: You can give them a contract. Oh yeah, and kids could stare a sleep at night.
Speaker 3: To the dulcet tones of Caleb Bond, it's fiction, for goodness.
Speaker 2: Sake, It's not real, So who cares if it's not factual, it's fiction. That's the point.
Speaker 3: One of the reasons why the woke is so on the nose, and part of the reason Trump won is people are sick of how nasty they are. I mean, they're complaining that this book is damaging, disrespectful, and it's contributing to the quote erasure of First Nations people's experiences. It's a fictional, science fiction children's book, for goodness sake. I don't think they're upset that Jamie Oliver wrote it. I think they're upset that they didn't get paid to be consulted on the writing of the book.
Speaker 2: They say that when.
Speaker 3: Aboriginal characters included in books, even fictional books, that there must be respect. There must be and here's the consultation with cultural experts, and I dare say they won't do that without a fee, and there must be permission. So now you have to have permission to include an Indigenous character in a work of fiction.
Speaker 2: Here's what will happen.
Speaker 3: Fictional writers will decide, you know what, we won't include any Indigenous characters because it's just too much of a risk. And then indigenous activists will complain that they're not being represented in.
Speaker 5: Fiction exactly, which is why it was so ironic that Natsek use the word erasure. This is indicative of the erasure of Indigenous Australians. You've just guaranteed here because you've just announced on the world stage, Jamie Oliver, there isn't a more famous chef in the world, I don't think, And you've just told everyone if you try this on, will come after you. We'll never be happy with what you do, will never be happy with the representation. And Penguin Random Books, the publisher, has also come out and said we are so sorry.
Speaker 6: We normally do an authenticity.
Speaker 5: Reading which would have picked up on this kind of thing.
Speaker 6: It's completely our bad.
Speaker 5: We are so sorry. Of course, Jamie Oliver and the publisher have not committed to taking the book off the shelves, which is what Natsek is demanding.
Speaker 6: But here's the thing.
Speaker 5: Had Penguin actually done that authenticity reading, it would have depended on which indigenous group you asked for their opinion as to whether they liked it or not, because, as we know, by virtue of having the same ethnicity doesn't mean everyone agrees.
Speaker 6: We haven't got.
Speaker 5: Indigenous consensus on a certain mind that is currently on hold.
Speaker 6: Here in Australia.
Speaker 5: So the very idea that you have to ask for permission get the blessing of Indigenous Australians as a whole, it's a complete furfy.
Speaker 6: You can't.
Speaker 5: For every group that would have said, read the book, love it, bonds away, go for it, you'd find another Indigenous group who was like, actually, this is really insensitive, it's trivializing, it's stereotyping.
Speaker 6: We don't like it at all.
Speaker 5: So what have you achieved in the end, except for paying a lot of Indigenous groups for their opinions, and then you've got to decide which one to go with to the States now, where the endless autopsies of the Democrats demise is still underway, with one of the most prevailing questions being how on earth do you raise over a billion dollars and blow even more of that and still lose. Here's DNC spokesperson Lindy Lee asking this very question, saying, heck, I was one of the people who helped raise this record breaking amount of money, and I've got to answer to the people who donated.
Speaker 6: The truth is the this is just an epic disaster.
Speaker 8: This is a one billion, one billion dollar disaster. Actually it was one billion, eighteen million. I think right there are twenty million or twenty million or each I was in debt. It's incredible, and I raise millions of that. I have friends that I have to be accountable to and to explain what happened, because I told them it was a margin error race. I was promised. General Ally Dillon promised all of us that cars would win.
Speaker 5: Money can't buy your love, people, And in a classic backhanded burned by President Trump, he's offering to pay off the two million that they.
Speaker 6: Have in debt.
Speaker 5: Check out this post on truth Socially says I am very surprised at the Democrats who fought a hard and valiant fight in the twenty twenty he says, but he means twenty twenty four. He posted this on Saturday night in the presidential election, raising a record amount of money, didn't have lots of money left over. Now they are being squeezed by vendors and others. Whatever we can do to help them during this difficult period, I would strongly recommend we as a party, and for the sake of desperately needed unity, I suggest we do it.
Speaker 6: We have a lot of money left over in that. Our biggest asset.
Speaker 5: In the campaign was earned media, and that doesn't cost very much. Make America great again, dear Democrats, you are going to need a lot of ice and a gallon of alvera for that burn. So the Trump administration raised just three hundred and eighty one point five million dollars right, they spent under that, and they spent just over ten million dollars on staff throughout the campaign. Compare the pair with the Harris administration, who raised over one billion dollars, blew one point three seven billion dollars on the campaign, and spent over five hundred and eighty two million dollars just on staff alone. So the Trump campaign raised roughly just over a third of what the Harris campaign raised. They come in under budget because they're earned media all the way, whereas the Harris campaign spent almost five hundred and sixty million dollar dollars just to get her and Tim Waltz onto different shows in different podcasts.
Speaker 6: Because nobody actually wanted them.
Speaker 5: Well, this adds insult to injury today because the Federal Election Commission filings came out and it was laid bare before the entire world.
Speaker 6: What had the Harris.
Speaker 5: Campaign spent over a billion dollars on? Well, you'd be shocked.
Speaker 6: To find out the majority of it was on media.
Speaker 5: There was five million in there for private jets, five hundred and sixty million. Like I said, on media dispersements. Not much use dispersements here. The list wears long as you can imagine, but x users are having an absolute field day highlighting how the Harris campaign completely blew this money. And one little item that has escaped nobody's notice is a million dollars played to Oprah Winfree. So Oprah Winfrey, one of the richest women in the world, who, along with the rest of the Harris campaign, told us she believed she was fighting the rise of the new Nazis led by a modern day Hitler, still didn't believe enough in the cause to waive her seven figure fee. I mean, this is so hilarious and of course raises the question, how much did you splurge on all the other star endorsements. I mean, Kamala Harris, had Beyonce came out, she had bon Jovi performed, Lady Gaga perform, Katie Perry performed.
Speaker 6: How much did you spend on these people?
Speaker 5: And is it really an endorsement if you've paid me for it.
Speaker 3: I don't think this explains why Cardi b was so upset when the teleprompter wasn't working, because she was afraid she wouldn't get it. Honorarium if you didn't get the speech properly, I mean spending you know, twice as much money as you needed to for no result.
Speaker 2: It's just called bidonomics. They campaigned the way that they govern.
Speaker 3: They take other people's money spend it for pretty much no return. The fact is they thought because they had money, and because they were cunning, and they spent millions advertising to Americans how racist and sexist they were. They thought, based on those two things, we can win this. But all the money in the world doesn't make a bad candidate likable or a bad policy popular.
Speaker 7: If I knew that, I could have been paid a million dollars to have some sort of weird online telecast thing for Kamala Harris and then rock up to one of her rallies and say, if you don't vote tomorrow, it'll be the last election ever. If I'd noticed a million dollars for that, I would have done it a long time ago.
Speaker 6: What do you want, eladies and gentlemen, he can be born.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, look I'm not in that way.
Speaker 7: No, But seriously, I cannot believe what they thought they would be able to do with this money and then what they turned it into.
Speaker 1: I mean that when she went on Call Her Daddy.
Speaker 7: The podcast, which did nowhere near the numbers of Joe Rogan, like the Rogan Podcast across YouTube and Spotify, has done more than ninety million listens or views. Caller Daddy one did like less than a million, right, So what does that tell you about the interest levels? But they spent more than six figures on building the set, which, if you remember what that said, looked like it was pretty bloody ordinary. The Harris Campaign's more than one hundred thousand dollars building the set for that podcast.
Speaker 5: Albally because Kamala didn't want to travel to years.
Speaker 1: She wouldn't, he wouldn't go down with that.
Speaker 5: Entire entry of funds just leaking out of the kitty was completely uncalled for Get on a jolly plane, woman, I.
Speaker 2: Want to know you're playing. So they spent what do you say, five million dollars?
Speaker 3: Yeah, private jets, private jets over what three and a half months.
Speaker 6: This was August to October, and this is the.
Speaker 3: Party that begging on about climate cossus and Climateshe of course.
Speaker 7: And I want to know when you go through this list of like the top five hundred companies that the campaign paid money to, you get down to one called Gusto.
Speaker 1: They paid thirty four point four million dollars. There. She didn't have a lot of Gusto.
Speaker 7: For thirty four point four million dollars, I don't know where that Gusto went. But it goes to prove once again, you can have and we talked about this last week, you can have all the star power you want.
Speaker 1: You can have all the money in the world.
Speaker 7: If you don't actually have a product to sell to the voters, it ain't gone to work. She couldn't be sold because she's just not much to listen to or look at as a performer. As a politician, she's just so uninspiring, and she didn't have any policies.
Speaker 6: There is Trump.
Speaker 7: He doesn't need to pay for all that. He can get up at the rallies and explain what he actually thinks. He's an entertainer. He doesn't need celebrities around him. He is the celebrity. He doesn't have to pay for.
Speaker 1: It because he's actually good at the job. What a What a novel idea.
Speaker 3: One of the most enlightening invoices was a company called bully Pulpit Interactive at It's a marketing company. They spent one hundred and one million dollars on this marketing company called bully Pulpit, which pretty accurately explains the way the Democrats campaigned. They certainly bullied people, but having lost the election, Democrats supporters have taken it pretty well, I would say, Lizen Caleb gracious.
Speaker 2: Pretty even keeled about the whole thing.
Speaker 3: I mean, all right, so they want to poison men who voted for Trump, but apart from that, you know, they've taken it really, really well.
Speaker 2: I'm not joking.
Speaker 3: There's an online video that's going viral encouraging women to poison men because they have it coming by allowing Trump to become president, because of course, Trump is going.
Speaker 2: To destroy women's rights.
Speaker 3: The movement is called MATGA, not Maga, but Mattga, which stands for make Aqua Tofona great Again. Tafona was a seventeenth century Italian woman who sold poison to wives who wanted to get rid of their husbands.
Speaker 2: It's believed through that she.
Speaker 3: Was responsible for the death of about six hundred men, which makes her one of history's most prolific serial killers. Seeing her as their inspiration, female Democrat voters have encouraged one another. You know, maybe it would help you to get over the election result by slipping some of that poison into your man's drink.
Speaker 9: Here's the video, never Gonna Happen, Sweetie, Your body our choice.
Speaker 3: Videos like that have had millions of views on x and on TikTok.
Speaker 2: A couple of thoughts leftism.
Speaker 3: I actually think it is a mental illness when you don't forget the election result you wanted, so you fantasize about killing men, all the while accusing your opponents of being the fascist I mean, also be serious.
Speaker 5: I find it very hard to believe that any of these women have men if you're genuinely floating the idea of yes. An answer to this election was salt, which was so comprehensive.
Speaker 6: It's not like by the breath of the hairs.
Speaker 5: Well no, no, no, this wasn't AB's you know what, this was an extremely comprehensive red wave. Let's just start poisoning men because they are to blame.
Speaker 6: I'm guessing you don't have one, do you? In fact, you probably have daddy issues.
Speaker 3: Not only The problem here is imagine someone does it. Are you not then liable for incitement?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 5: Only Trump, I thought you would now, Yeah, so these video is encouraging people to literally just poison fifty percent of the population.
Speaker 1: I e.
Speaker 6: Men, that's not incitement at all. So only Trump does incite if I did that.
Speaker 3: And then you find as you go through my computer, I've been watching over and over again a video you produced.
Speaker 2: Have you not incited me? You've given me the idea, You've told me it's a good thing to do.
Speaker 5: I'm like, well, I mean, part of me says I'd love to see that play out, but then that would take a.
Speaker 1: Illegal legally legally.
Speaker 7: There's also all these women going around online now saying that in light of the result in the US, that they're not going to have sex anymore, and they're not going to get married over the next four years, don't have any children.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's the best thing I've ever heard to be.
Speaker 7: If all of these leftists women are saying we're not going to procreate over the next four years.
Speaker 1: That's the best thing that's ever happened to.
Speaker 2: The going to poison if they don't get married.
Speaker 5: And the concertaive men are sharing these videos of these women being like, I'm not sleeping with anyone, I'm not having yours, I'm never getting married.
Speaker 6: All the conservative men are like, yes, thank you very much.
Speaker 1: Who are I'm not a loss.
Speaker 6: To the Jean Paul lady.
Speaker 5: But of course there's others who figured out a different form of protest, because this is going to be really effective and cost effective as.
Speaker 4: Well, busiest and most effective form of protest you have right now that you can start immediately, mask back on, stop letting them observe your face, and have the signed benefit of better health.
Speaker 6: Okay, depending on your face. I'm not sure that's going to be.
Speaker 1: A lost Yeah. I mean, look if the.
Speaker 7: Mask peaper didn't have to watch a cleaner teeth all the time, like she didn't, I think that's a brilliant idea.
Speaker 1: We don't want to look at you, you look at some of the you know, lefties. Put a bag of your head. I don't care.
Speaker 7: Let's get out of my home state of South Australia now where you know politicians up to old tricks. If they can't find a way to use your money for things that shouldn't be used for, they wouldn't be a politician, would they.
Speaker 1: Now you might remember the small issue of the former Opposition.
Speaker 7: Leader David Spears, who of course was caught on a video that he says is a deep fake, snorting of white powder in his kitchen. So then after that he stood down, well, actually he'd resigned his Opposition leader just before that. He since stood down from parliament, which has triggered a by election. Now, four days before he announced his retirement from politics, some polling came in from an outfit called fresh Water. The interesting thing is that the money spent on this polling, and polling is done all the time by political parties to see what people think about things, whether that be how they're going to vote in a certain electorate or what they think about certain issues. This polling had actually come out of the parliamentary allowances of the former Opposition leader David Spears, So the taxpayer, four days before he resigned from his seat, had paid for polling that was done within his seat. How is that okay? The Treasurer of South Australia. Stephen Mulligan says the spending appeared to be an outrageous abuse of taxpayers.
Speaker 1: Money by the Liberal Party. Why would an MP.
Speaker 7: Who has just announced his resignation from the parliament need to spend twenty five thousand dollars of tax pays money on polling. If there is a reasonable explanation, Vincent Tazi, that is the new opposition leader, must provide it will. Vincent Tazi hit back. He said, we won't be lectured by a government that has wasted one hundred million dollars on taxpayer funded advertising. This is a treasurer who personally signed off on fifteen hundred dollars for Teddy Bears for one of their MPs, and yes, that did actually happen, So he does kind of have a point there. But how do they think that they can get away with spending public money on polling in an electorate four days before that member then goes and resigns and says I'm not going to be in politics anymore. They may will argue, oh, well, you know, it's all part of making sure I serve my electric properly. But he already had in his head the idea that he wasn't going to serve his electorate into the future, and then a few days before pulling the pin, goes and gets some polling that tells him what people think in his electorate.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm not so sure that that's what actually happened. I think Steven Mulligan should throw the Liberls of Mulligan on this one, because David Spears, as you pointed out, was facing criminal charges and he's got a court appearance. I think this Friday for supplying a controlled substance, and within the course of eight weeks his life pretty much just imploded. He went from opposition leader to backbencher to then out of Parliament completely, and almost on a daily basis, there were new things coming out on the front page of the paper. I'm not so sure his resignation was carefully planned. This could have been just one of those things that is a coincidence. They did some appolling that was unrelated to the fact that there would be a by election.
Speaker 2: Then a couple of days later he resigns that. I thought that.
Speaker 3: There's the potential that all of this is just part of the implosion of his life.
Speaker 7: Will I will say to that that the resignation was hasty because it had become public knowledge that he had been charged on supplying a controlled substance, as you said, But those charges had been brought down from the long before it was public knowledge. So presumably this polling was done after he was charged. They certainly paid the bill for it after he was charged. It was only when it came to light that he actually pulled the pin and resigned.
Speaker 1: He must have known that at some.
Speaker 7: Point that was going to come out and that would be the time where we would have to go.
Speaker 1: He didn't do it until it was public knowledge, So the polling was done, the knowledge was in.
Speaker 3: Christ was making the whole thing up literally as he went. I'm just saying that's a possible.
Speaker 1: It may will be.
Speaker 7: But does that mean that we the taxpayer should be paying for MPs to do polling in seats when they're in a precarious position.
Speaker 6: Well, the government does it all the time. I think people are just used to it.
Speaker 5: I mean, they literally spend our money on doing polling to find out what we think so they can tell us what they found out that we want to hear in order for them to get elected again. Do absolutely none of it and then pay more of our money to get more polling so that they can keep saying what they found out, we want to hear it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 5: We found out that when Dan Andrews was facing there and he's little like, what was it catman do? Which Brandon faced north face?
Speaker 6: How could I forget? The trauma has wiped it from my mind.
Speaker 5: He's staring down the barrel saying I'm doing what's difficult, but what's right.
Speaker 6: I'm not here to take the easy path.
Speaker 5: Found out he was just internal polling. He was just finding out what people wanted to hear. And of course people's perspective was completely screwed by all the fear porn that the government was pushing out on a daily basis.
Speaker 6: So people were like, lock us down harder, Daddy, more mandates please, And that's exactly what he was giving them.
Speaker 5: It had nothing to do with the health advice, as we've heard from his own too. I think we should all start participating in polls.
Speaker 6: It's like, you know what, you want to find out what we think?
Speaker 5: You don't give a toss anyway, and you never act accordingly.
Speaker 6: We are just not participating.
Speaker 5: You take your best guess and maybe start governing with common sense and then we'll see if we like.
Speaker 6: You when we get to the actual bowling day.
Speaker 2: I like it. It's a good idea that could fly. We're going to go to a break.
Speaker 3: When we come back, we'll look at what's making news tomorrow, including on the front page of tomorrow's Australian Talking Case.
Speaker 2: You've really got to hear to believe it's coming up at this moment. Welcome back.
Speaker 3: Let's take a look at what's making news in tomorrow's papers. We'll start with the Canberra Times, which understandably was marking Remembrance Day, which of course was today one hundred and six years since the end of World War One. It's amazing, isn't it, Caleb and Liz that back in World War One, what was it, four hundred thousand men and boys from Australia with a population of just five million, volunteered to serve overseas. And so they were remembered today in the Canberra Times marking.
Speaker 7: That and a new as it is on the front of the paper, a new a Victoria Cross recipient as well. This fellow from the Act served in the Vietnam War. Always to see someone being recognized for their service to this country, because of course, in recent years we seem to have denigrated people who have served this country more than giving them the rewards they deserve.
Speaker 5: I think, meanwhile, patriots are forever grateful to the front page of the Northern Territory News now parole allegedly busted in bed with officer aiding and bedding.
Speaker 6: The splast reads an.
Speaker 5: Alleged fugitive who police claimed cut off his ankle monitoring device, was on the run for days before being allegedly caught in a hotel room with the senior officer from the territories besieged Aboriginal Legal Service?
Speaker 6: What is the days of our lives? Northern Territory version that.
Speaker 3: Well, that legal service, it is days of our lives. They've had massive controversy, They've had accusations of corruption. They appointed a chairperson who had been charged or arrested with domestic violence offenses. They've had a mass exodus of staff, whereby Indigenous people were left to represent themselves in court. And this is an organization that gets twenty million dollars worth of federal funding every year. So take all of that and then throw in a story like this it's the last thing that organization needs for its credibility.
Speaker 1: It's just extraordinary.
Speaker 7: I mean, this blow could served time for manslaughter, that's what he'd been out.
Speaker 1: On parole for.
Speaker 7: And then his parole was revoked and this woman from the Aboriginal Legal series now faces fourteen years jail potentially for interfering with a police investigation.
Speaker 1: You know, the northerns.
Speaker 7: The INNT news just it never misses in terms of these sort of story, doesn't. I don't know whether they still do it, but it used to be. The way it worked in the INNT news newsroom was that they would put on the front page whatever story had been talked about the most in the newsroom that day. It wasn't necessarily the biggest story or the most important story, but it was the story that people would be most interested in. And you know, inevitably it'll be stuff like why I had to pack her up my clacker and there's sort of stuff for a.
Speaker 1: Crocodile or whatever.
Speaker 7: But they figured, if we're interested in it and we're talking about it all day, then other people surely are talk about knowing your market. Let's go to the front of the Australian tomorrow. Where there is an equally interesting story involving the courts have listened to this. One police staffer, online stalker sent innocent man to jail. Court Here is a Victoria police advisor has faced court accused of impersonating a police officer, perjury, perverting the course of justice, and Facebook hacking in an alleged stalking spree that led to a man she was obsessed with, being arrested and wrongly jailed for eighteen days. A tearful Caitlyn Chivoni appeared in Melbourne's Magistrate Court clutching a stuffed toy during a committal hearing last week on fourteen offenses that included theft, making a false report to police, and dishonestly receiving stolen goods.
Speaker 1: Now, this involves.
Speaker 7: Between thirteen thousand and fifteen thousand social media messages. She's alleged to have logged into this bloke's Facebook account and then sent messages from it so supposedly from him to her, that she has then used against him. I mean, it's God at all. This is I love this sort of stuff. And this is going back to the last story as well. When I was a court reporter. You know, I used to sit in the courtroom and you'd occasionally get a story like this, and you'd sit and go, oh my god, my days.
Speaker 1: When I go back and tell my.
Speaker 7: Chief of staff this story, they are going to love it because it goes gang busters. People love this stuff because they can't believe that it could actually be real.
Speaker 3: I mean, this has got all the makings of a great Netflix series.
Speaker 2: Who wouldn't you one?
Speaker 1: Maybe rain now?
Speaker 5: She literally wrote her to be clear, she wrote herself messages from his account so that she could then report those two.
Speaker 6: Police allegedly allegedly allegedly.
Speaker 5: I mean, this is this is straight out of something like Mary Reindeer. Right, Well, you've just got some person who has decided you are in their sites.
Speaker 6: They are going to set you up no matter what.
Speaker 5: And how hard would it have been for this guy to disprove this when these charges were first.
Speaker 6: Laid at his door, being like, I don't even know what.
Speaker 5: You're talking about. This woman was having conversations effectively with herself, allegedly from them his or own account, all of that aside.
Speaker 1: I would ask miss what's her name? She Evonne?
Speaker 7: I would ask her, why did you rock up to court clutching a stuff toy. I mean, something tells me that that's not going to be terribly impressive in front of either jury or a judge.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm rocking up.
Speaker 7: With my emotional support animal a stuffed toy.
Speaker 1: Strange behavior. I would have thought.
Speaker 7: Let's go to another story on the front of the Odds tomorrow. Indigenous leader flags rock art restoration. We told you a little bit about this story last week. Indigenous people at Australia's contentious climbing capital, Mount Arapolies, have flagged the need to restore ancient faded rock art because the drawings are so degraded they are mostly invisible to the naked eye.
Speaker 1: Now, of course, we told you last week.
Speaker 7: That around fifty percent of the climbing areas and Mount Arapolis, which is one of the biggest mountain climbing places in the world by the way, will be locked up so people can't climb them anymore.
Speaker 1: And part of that.
Speaker 7: Was, of course indigenous heritage and these rock carvings, et cetera, which are apparently invisible to the naked eye. So now we're told that something that is basically impossible to see is somehow going to be restored. Well, on the basis of what if you can't see it, how do you restore it to.
Speaker 1: What it used to be? Because you can't see what it used to be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, drawing is invisible. Is it still a drawing or is it just I don't know.
Speaker 2: But there you go.
Speaker 3: They're going to restore it and turn the area into a cultural area where people can go and I presume observe indigenous culture, which they'll have to restore it otherwise.
Speaker 2: You won't be able to observe it.
Speaker 1: It's so strong.
Speaker 5: I'd love to know how much tankspayer dollars they're going to spend on restoring invisible artwork.
Speaker 6: Well, that's what we're spending our money.
Speaker 3: I'd love to know how many taxpayer dollars they are going to lose because people from coming all over the world to climb this particular area see Victoria no longer coming because it's.
Speaker 2: All been closed.
Speaker 3: Let's go to the front page of the Adelaide Advertiser, which is an echo of the Herald's Sun and the Daily Telegraph tomorrow. They're all going with the same front page. Fight for the Ages, reads the headline. You'll notice if you have a close look at the front page of that paper. Half of it is not actually able to be read unless you speak an Indian dialect.
Speaker 2: And that's the point.
Speaker 3: The Test series between Australia and the Indian is about to get underway.
Speaker 2: The article says.
Speaker 3: To celebrate this multicultural festival of fun, today's eight page rap has been published in English, Hindi and Punjabi. If you're lucky, you'll be hearing all three languages at grounds this summer, with two hundred thousand Australians speaking Hindi and Punjabbi now our fastest growing language with more than two hundred and thirty thousand speakers, up eighty percent in the last decades. So all of those major newspapers being published in three languages tomorrow, so you can get the.
Speaker 2: Latest on the cricket.
Speaker 3: After the joke that was the one day game against Pakistan Terriers, half the players most of us had never heard of because they're not first choice. Hardly anyone went along to watch.
Speaker 2: I hope the Test series is better.
Speaker 7: Well, indeed, there'll be a South Australian in the opening lineup as well. Now, but I'm going to tell you when we play cricket against India. It is the best cricket you could ever possibly attend. I remember fondly an Australia Day match because we used to have an Australia Day Test in Adelaide. But then that all sort of moved on and for a while they were having either a one day or a Tea twenty match in Adelaide on Australia Day.
Speaker 1: An Australia Day.
Speaker 7: The twenty sixth of January is also Independence Day in India and I went to this T twenty.
Speaker 1: Match as a kid Adelaide Oval. It would have been fifty to fifty.
Speaker 7: The place was full Australian supporters, Indian supporters. It was the most electric atmosphere of any cricket match I've ever been to.
Speaker 1: The Indians love their cricket and for that, we love them.
Speaker 3: So I can't wait to go to the Sydney Test and spend three days sitting in the rain. We're going to go to a grape when we come back. The Taliban accused Americans have been sexist.
Speaker 2: That's coming up in a moment.
Speaker 3: Well, we need to say a big thank you to the New York Post. They've done Australian as a massive favor with so many people who ate Trump, promising they're going to leave America now that he's the president.
Speaker 2: They won't be coming to Australia.
Speaker 3: After this story was published in The New York Post, pythons invaded Shockman's toilet twice in one week. Not the snake you want to crawl all over you, he said. It's a guy in Harvey Bay who went to the toilet to find a massive python in the bowl. He had a snake catcher come and remove it, and then only a couple of days later, I had to call the snake catcher all over again.
Speaker 6: It'll just be oh no, that's easy. That's heaps easier than the other one. I'll do it off the hook. I could let you do your first dunny snake. You want to do an almost I can almost see you.
Speaker 5: He hasn't like you want to dive in and do the toilet snake, but I appreciate the keenness. You can if you want otherwise, I don't mind.
Speaker 1: I mean snaky, I already touched it.
Speaker 2: I should have bloody put.
Speaker 1: Me bag on first.
Speaker 6: You're a lot easier than your friend to get out's definitely.
Speaker 2: I had to laugh. Calabus.
Speaker 3: I'm reading the comments in the New York Post article and most people saying I knew this was Australia even before.
Speaker 2: I read it.
Speaker 6: What because of the distinctive accent. Nobody else thoughts like us. It's true and you guys love it.
Speaker 5: Any Australian who's been to the States know how much they love our accent. Before we leave you tonight, the Taliban has discovered, to its great glee that maybe America has more in common with them than.
Speaker 1: They first thought.
Speaker 5: To check out this quote from Taliban official in Alamala Semangani, he said, they said that finally a woman will become the president in America, something that has never happened, and maybe after.
Speaker 6: This no one will believe that she will.
Speaker 5: Americans are not ready to hand over the leadership of their great country to a woman. If the votes of other skins and refugees are left aside, maybe fewer Americans would have voted for missus Harris.
Speaker 6: I'll just find this absolutely hilarious.
Speaker 5: It had nothing to do with the fact she's a woman, mister Taliban, and had everything to do with the fact she's a moron.
Speaker 6: That's it.
Speaker 1: What are they doing calling you missus Harris.
Speaker 7: I mean, I know she's married, but they don't share a name, those two, so I'm not he's entitled to be called missus Harritt.
Speaker 1: But you know why they don't have elections in Afghanistan?
Speaker 7: Right because there's a tally band anymore.
Speaker 2: That's program but stick around. Coming up is the Reader Penney Show that's on now