Speaker 1: Well, hello there, listeners, fans friends of this body and soul podcast called healthy Ish, Welcome, thanks for joining us today. I am Felicity Harley. Oh, We've got a goody today. I'm joining the studio by let's call her a leisure queen, Lorna Jane, to share how she starts the day, her rituals, her routine. Plus she also gives some other health lessons she's learned along the way. After you listen to this episode, tune into Extra healthy Ish, where Lorna shares her story of global success. It's a really fascinating chat. You can grab that wherever you get your Podcastslanna, Welcome.
Speaker 2: To healthy Ish.
Speaker 3: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's a pleasure having you in the studio.
Speaker 3: Good to be here. I can't wait to see what questions you ask.
Speaker 2: Well, the first one.
Speaker 1: Now it is still morning when we're recording this, So what were your healthy habits this morning?
Speaker 3: This morning? Well, I was staying in a hotel, but I did get up and have a walk and it was freezing. Can I just tell you it was freezing.
Speaker 2: It is very cold in Sydney right now.
Speaker 3: I think they're saying it's the coldest day on record this year.
Speaker 1: So well, well done. A Brisbane person getting up breeze night walking in.
Speaker 3: The so I went for walk. I saved some lemons, so I had some lemon water, not the usual thing I would do at home, but I had that before I left, and I made sure that I grabbed a few things from the buffet.
Speaker 2: Oh, I like it, but that's it.
Speaker 3: Then I'm straight here.
Speaker 1: Do you have a set morning routine or is this something that you just mold depending on where you are what season.
Speaker 3: It is absolutely and it's always been my dream to have like a morning that extends to eleven and then start work at eleven. I know, and I used to when I used to spend a lot of time in the US. That's how I used to live there, and it used to be fantastic, you know. Do a nine o'clock class instead of a six o'clock class my dream, and it was so lovely, you know. But I haven't really achieved that yet, But yeah, I do. I definitely have a morning routine because I generally a whole fitness routine because I think those rituals and that consistent behavior really sets you up for success. So yeah, I do. Do you want to know it.
Speaker 2: Yes, what are some of those rituals?
Speaker 3: Okay, So in the morning, I do sort of a sort of a meditation. I think it's just a fancy word for breathing meditation for me anyway, maybe I'm just not seeing it for what it.
Speaker 2: Truly can be.
Speaker 3: But I just lie in bed and really like, I feel like I get my best thoughts and ideas in the morning. Like when I wake up, it's like my filing system has actually worked and I get these pops of ideas. So I usually write things down and then just sit and think about what I'm going to do that day.
Speaker 1: So while you're lying in bed at four thirty usually, well that's early, I know, but that's when I naturally wake up.
Speaker 2: What time are you go to bed?
Speaker 3: Nine o'clock nine thirty?
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, you're one of those people. Yeah at five am.
Speaker 3: Club Not always like I get up at five o'clock when i'm training with my trainer, But some of the days when I'm just going for walk or something, I do five point thirty. But I genuinely wake up. So that's why I have that time to stay in bed and do some thinking and writing some things down.
Speaker 1: Not always, but Has it been like this since you say, started Laurna Jane, or has this evolved like your approach to health and wellness over the years.
Speaker 3: I've always been a morning person, and you have to remember I started as a fitness instructor, so six o'clock classes have always been my thing. So I've always enjoyed exercising in the morning because nothing can get in the way, you know. Like, I'm fairly motivated person when it comes to health and fitness and working out. But if I don't work out in the morning and I tell myself I'm going to do a class, first of all, it stresses me out because I then have to schedule everything to make sure that I get out of work on time and get to the class, or even go for a run before it gets stark. All of those things, it just doesn't happen. I taught myself out of it because I love work, I love going for a walk with my husband in space time with my family. So it all gets in the way and I can so easily manipulate myself.
Speaker 2: What do you do for fitness nowadays?
Speaker 3: Fitness, okay, strength training really important and I actually love it. I do wish I had started earlier. I really do. Like I tell the girls at work all the time who are in their twenties and thirties, start weight training. So weight training with a trainer twice a week, and then I train by myself another two times a week. In between that it's yoga. I walk twice a day. It's that's a bit of a meditation thing too. I do with my husband, who is the CEO of Laurna Jane. So in the morning we walk out dog Harry about twenty minutes, not a fast walk at all, but we talk about our day, which is really nice.
Speaker 2: We talk business.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, it's like a business meeting every morning it is.
Speaker 3: It's a walk meeting, and sometimes we have pretty heated discussions. I'm sure some of the neighbors think those clarks and are going to get.
Speaker 2: To don sometimes.
Speaker 3: But we talk about what we're doing, and I might have some questions I want to ask him. I'll say, are you free for this? Someone's coming in, I'd really like you to have a chat to him, blah blah blah. So we talk through that and then at night it's more a how is your day check in, and so then we can really transition, not completely we're human, but transition into that more relaxed be at home.
Speaker 2: We're a couple rather than business partners. Yeah yeah, so interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, an active week though, What perhaps is the biggest lesson in health and wellness that you've learned over the years. What's some wisdom you can impart?
Speaker 2: So many, so many, I think give us a few.
Speaker 3: I think the strength training was a big thing, especially as you age and for women, like, you're not going to get big, Like, look, I'm not a big person and I do it four times a week and I really do heavy weights. You know. My trainer is a great big, you know, bodybuilding champion, So you're not going to get big, You're just going to get stronger. And for me, I mentally feel more powerful because I'm strong.
Speaker 1: It's so empowering you. I love lifting heavyweights and I have actually haven't done it for two weeks and I feel I'm in my head, I'm thinking I have to go on strength train, like I really need to feel that power.
Speaker 3: Makes you feel it does, yeah, it really makes you feel powerful, so absolutely.
Speaker 2: And I then.
Speaker 3: Really love yoga as well.
Speaker 2: I sort of did.
Speaker 3: I think it's probably about five or six years ago. I went to Bali and did my instructor training just so I could really understand what I wanted to achieve out of yoga. So that's my be kind to myself.
Speaker 1: And did that help doing the yoga training. Do you feel like you, well, you get more out of yoga.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's me I do. But I like to know the ins and outs of things, you know, Like I had so many questions and I just thought, I just really want to immerse myself in it. And I think the girls at work thought that I'd possibly teach a yoga class every Thursday afternoon, which has never happened. But yeah, I just wanted to know a little bit more and it does help, I think, to understand what you're trying to achieve and that push and pull, that flight and fight that you have when you're pushing yourself to your limit, to understand it and give into it. You know, if I'm really stressed, I just can't do yoga like I can when I'm not stressed, because my body's resisting. And I guess that's what I need it the most.
Speaker 2: Well, it's your mind, isn't that telling you?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can't, I can't do this now move nourish believe. I mean, it's it's long been your company's ethos. It's a it's a beautiful mantra. Do you still live by this?
Speaker 3: Absolutely? And most people don't know this, but it was actually my way of living before we even started, Lanna Jane. It's always been my way of I guess, justifying and not understanding why people. I get so fussed why people don't find time for the health and wellbeing. I just it does frustrate me. I know all the reasons, of course, I know all the reasons, but I can't understand why they don't put it on the top of their to do list, you know. So for me, it was always like wake up every day, move nourish belief, move your body in some way. You can just be walking the dog. You know. I'm not sure I won't do that much today because I've got to fly back to Brisbane and all those sorts of things. But I've had my walk this morning, you know, move your body some way, eat good food, just make some great choices. You know, it's so easy. Like I looked at the choices my husband made on this trip compared to me his. We're not as good as that.
Speaker 2: Live the Lona Jay mantras.
Speaker 3: He does usual, but it was his birthday today.
Speaker 2: That's okay, We'll let him up.
Speaker 3: And then I think the most important one is believe. I think positivity. So if you just walk into every single day saying I'm going to move my body and I'm going to eat good food and I'm going to try to be positive about everything, just thinks a great way. And if you do that every day, I feel like and I've witnessed women who haven't been in a good place with their health and well being actually wake up a few months down and the track and go, hey, I'm a different person. And it's just half an hour here, you know, a few minutes there, chopping up some vegetables, you know, the night before before you go to work.
Speaker 2: It's yeah, it's a.
Speaker 3: Way of life, and you just have to be consistent. I think it's an easy way to think about it and achievable for most people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, achievable is Keith Lorna, thank you for coming on healthy Ish my pleasure. It's so pervy hearing what other people do in their mornings. I mean, most of the time I'm just hustling children out of the door. Sometimes I get out for a walk. But yes, I'm definitely a late sleeper. I wish i was early morning, but I'm just not make sure. Listening to Morn and Jane on Extra Healthy Ish, we have a really great chat about well, her rise to fame, her success story. If you did enjoy this one, tell us review it and rate it. We'd love to hear all feedback. You can DM me at Felicity Hawi. Of course, we are across social media at Body and Soul. Make sure you're subscribing, of course, jump online, bodyansoul, dot com, dot you. If you want any other info, follow us on social media. As I just said, grab our print edition which is out in your local Sunday paper. Thank you for listening and until next time, stay healthysh