Speaker 1: I'll get a groovers. Welcome to another installment the project. That's you, Patrick, and I know Tiffany and Cook. We are sands Tiff, we are tiffless, we are tiff free, we are without Tiff. It's just you and me, mate. I don't know that we're going to be able to do it, but we'll do our very best.
Speaker 2: Well. I think if we hold their hands together.
Speaker 3: And wear a little bit will be fine.
Speaker 1: I'll just reach out across the virtual threshold and grab you right now.
Speaker 3: Could you know one of the things I wanted to chat to you about wiz VR and using like haptic connections so that you can actually touch, because we could be wearing haptic suits and touching each other right now.
Speaker 1: Well, I'll tell you what of all the things I want to do, that's very fucking low on my list. But and so, haptic feedback means, if, for example, you're wearing let's say a glove and I'm wearing a glove with sensors, then I can wheeze your hand and you'll feel it. Kind of am I right yet?
Speaker 2: Hand? That's a good idea?
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right? Have they made one a haptic Oh that's I see where you're going maybe.
Speaker 2: Hey, hey, hey, wait wait wait right up?
Speaker 1: No, no, but I mean no, I'm not even being silly.
Speaker 2: No, we could do a hug. You could do a haptic hug. That would be cool.
Speaker 1: But I'd have to be wearing a like a vest.
Speaker 2: Or a jacket, right, yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: I wonder I wonder when that. I wonder when that's going to become an inverted commas normal mainstream where where you know, the there's actually a well it's not a real but it's a sense of a touch or a sense of you know, a squeeze or a hug, isn't it.
Speaker 3: But it's amazing what your brain is able to do when it comes to not fooling you per se, but giving you the impression of. So, as you know, I game on a regular basis on a Sunday morning with some mates. There's normally four or five of us, and we play virtual mini golf, amongst other games. And what it does is it positions you on the golf course playing mini golf, and you're wearing an avatar. So one of the guys has a top hat and a curly mustache, you know, so it doesn't even look like the person you're speaking to, but because it's their voice coming out of it, and because it also has an ability to be able to locate the person so that the sound is relative to where that person is. So if you have one person standing to your right, one standing to your left, and someone start talking, starts talking to your left, that's where the sound is coming from.
Speaker 2: So it's not a big stretch really.
Speaker 3: When you think about the haptic connection with people and the ability to be able to hold a hand, shake, a hand share a hug or something like that, your brain has an amazing ability to be able to turn what may not feel real into reality. I mean, let's face it, our optic nerve does it all the time, be seeing the world upside down. The basic optics of what we see when we're walking around mean that everything should physically appear to be upside down, but our brain flips it around the right way around. We all kind of learned that when we're doing basic biology at school, didn't we Did you learn that?
Speaker 2: I didn't?
Speaker 1: I didn't, but I just did because I've got you. I read the web. I read the web of life in you eight and all the sixty year olds will be like I read that too. But you know what is You're exactly right in that the brain is always creating. I mean your brain and your mind. That's your data processing center, you know. So there's all these external stimuli, all these things happening, situation, circumstance, environment, upside down world, other people talking, and then without even realizing, we give all of that meaning in real time, and then we think our meaning is the meaning, like our version of reality subjective is the objective version of reality. But pursuant to what you were saying, your honor about how you know the hug might eventually like when I hug you in the haptic suit, just explain to people who are trying to figure out haptic what a haptic suit might be. So it's just where it's got sensors, is that right?
Speaker 3: Well, that was one of the things I wanted to chat about because at the moment they use kind of electric motors, so or.
Speaker 2: Potentially I think we spoke about this on the show.
Speaker 3: It might even have been two years ago where they were using electrical impulses, so like a really really tiny little electrical impulse that causes your skin to feel a sensation. So you know what you've put your tongue on a nine volt battery. Come on, everyone has, of course, Oh fucking definitely.
Speaker 2: That's you know, whether they're working or not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was a six year old moron who became a sixty year old moron. Of course I did that.
Speaker 3: Well, if you think about it, if you had a very minimal, minimal sensor that passed an electrical limpop, your body reacts to that. But what they're currently working on at the moment is actually using a robotic sleeve and air pockets rather than motors because it would take less power and they just have little tiny tubes and inflate the area that's going to cause pressure. So if someone was to grab your hand, then the little tiny air pockets around your hand would suddenly inflate and it would feel like someone's gripping you. So that's another way around. So it's lots of different that's being worked on at the moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Or you could just be in the three dimensional space and hug someone. But what I was going to say is, have you ever seen that? It's quite a It's been around quite a bit, but there's an experiment where let's say I need I can't remember the precise details, but I remember seeing it a couple of times. So you're sitting in front of me, and let's say you're on one side of the table and I'm on the other side of the table, and your arm is outside your view of vision, but what is in your view of vision is a false arm. Right now, you've seen this, have you where I've heard about it? Okay, So and it's fucking amazing. So there's this guy every So let's say my left arms outside of my field of view, but in front of me is like what looks like a similar arm to mine, and so the guy would touch the fake arm, but at the same time touch your real arm. So he's touching and it feels like the the it feels like well one, you are being touched. But then eventually he and he'll touch it heavier and heavier, so at the same time or more and more pressure, he's hitting the fake arm and your arm. Then eventually he'll tap the fake arm without touching yours, and you feel it right, and then you tap. He taps it more and it actually hurts despite the fact that is not you know, touching you. And then he will tap you with a light hammer and he'd actually really tap your arm and really tap the fake arm. Right then he would not tap your arm, but he would smash the fake arm with a hammer. So he smashes the fake arm with a hammer and doesn't touch your real arm. But the person gets real pain, like which is fucking terrible. Yeah, it's amazing. Like our brain can create pain where there is no reason for pain, and also create the absence of pain where it's like there should be pain, No, that should fucking hurt. Now, imagine if we could figure out this is not the show for that. But wouldn't it be great if we could figure out that. You know, there's a friend of mine, doctor Calfried, who's been on the show a bit. He's a medical doctor, but yeah, his whole thing is trying to understand pain and trying to control pain without drugs. That's his life's purpose.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that would be amazing.
Speaker 3: You've often heard of people who are amputees who have ghost limbs, so they still feel the limb that's been taken. Why I think they call that phantom pain handsome pain. That's the one I'm saying ghost didn't I Well, ghosts fantoms.
Speaker 1: It's not fun phantom pain. Yeah, I know, I knew where you were going.
Speaker 3: You I was going, Hey, you know we didn't even speak about Christmas and New Year and stuff.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, did you get any cool toys or gadgets?
Speaker 1: I didn't. I mean I got You know, when you have old parents, God bless them, you don't know. I mean, do you know what I did? Which was weird?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: My parents are eighty five? What am I going to do? I'm going to go and buy mary address. I'm going to go buy some perfume, you know, of course, I or a hat like. Whatever I get her, she probably won't like. I mean, she'll say she likes it because she's your mum, right and beautiful. She'll never wear it, never spray it. So I tend to just give them money and go go get what you want, which is not very creative, but it's probably it's not. They're not mad at it because they don't get cash, right, So I just give them cash and so. But I had an idea, like, Mum and Dad are foodies, right, So I went to I made about three different trips to different supermarkets and I spent not a lot, but I well a fair bit. I spent like quite a few hundred, just buying them, like all these different things that they probably wouldn't normally buy from, like you know, expensive booze to rum and rais and chocolate, to sauces that they might use on pastas, to Camembert cheese, to like just all of these kind of not so ANDed groceries. And they fuck it. And I bought this great, huge storage container, this plastic thing on wheels, and I filled that. Well, they fucking loved it. And it was like the world's biggest hamper, hamper with shit they probably wouldn't buy themselves typically, but stuff that they loved, you know, so and that gave me great joy and Mum rang me like three days in a row, still unpacking it and still oh my god. And you know, so it was not I mean, it wasn't that expensive really in the terms of what I would normally spend on them, But yeah, I loved it, and they loved it, and it was kind of the gift that kept giving because it you know, sometimes you open one thing it's like that are but there was literally probably one hundred and fifty things in there. They loved it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I did a hamper for my friends who lived down the road from you, So.
Speaker 2: That was right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And hampers are great when you count because you know, as you say, when you've got adults who pretty well buy things for themselves exactly, a hamp is really really fun. We also do a bit of a joke gift this look. I don't know if I should say this on air because someone in my family is probably listening, but if you.
Speaker 1: Should, definitely say it. Yeah, I like for the greater good Patrick. Of course, it's like shout out to your family member, but it's like the other thousands are sitting on the edge of.
Speaker 2: There or not.
Speaker 3: So I catch up with my family, but then on Christmas Day or Christmas Night, I then catch up with my friends who live down the road from you, because they're really close and their two sons are like nephews to me. And so one year, my brother went to Japan with the family, and it was about the time of our birthday, because of course he's my identical twin brother, and so he came back and brought a gift, and the gift was a plastic fireplace and it's just like these plastic logs with a fake flame and you turned it on and you blew on it and it made a sound effect of a fireplace.
Speaker 2: Now i'd live in the country.
Speaker 3: I have a fireplace, a proper you bete thousand degree burning like crazy fireplace. So to get a little plastic desk fireplace which you could kind of see someone working in an okio. So that was the gift, and I thought, so that's the joke gift. What's the real gift. Well, he wasn't, that was it. So that was the China that, you know, the trip to Japan, you know, Mount Fuji, all the amazing things. And I got this plastic fireplace. And I was telling my friends who I then caught up with. I showed them this gift and they just thought it was hilarious. And so what we've been doing within the family is regifting it to each other with this friend, these friends of mine, so we'll repackage it. And then when I went overseas for my fiftieth I had my fiftieth birthday in Berlin, and that arranged for me to get that gift set in Berlin on my fiftieth birthday.
Speaker 2: So it's become a joke gift.
Speaker 3: And so I've hidden it at their house and they can't find it, so it's currently at their home. So I had to come up with another gift for them last year, so I bought them all something similar to that and equally tacky, and it was little lanterns, you know, little battery powered lanterns, just little fake fireplaces. But the next day they had a power adage and they're all sending me pictures of how consoling it was to have their little fake lanterns and lights because the power had gone out. And so it just backfired on me so much because they all loved their gifts, and it wasn't meant to be the gifts of love. It was meant to be something tacky that was annoying for them because there's four of them, and when they team up to hide this fireplace at my house or to randomly give it to me as a gift, I'm kind of it's four against one. So I really backfired on me last year when I gave them the mock fireplaces and lanterns and things. But it's funny how those fun gifts can also be a lot of fun. And so this past Christmas, I also we have a dice game that we play, and I went online and got them all little dice, and I made a little flyer on how to play this game.
Speaker 2: It's a bit like yatsy.
Speaker 3: And then for the father, my mate who's there, he's a little bit older than me, I got him giant dice about to meet square, and then we played dice in the laund room. But I think sometimes it's not about I mean, whether it's the hamper or whether it's just buying something small. It can be a lot of fun and it doesn't have to be expensive. And I think sometimes it's in the giving. The youngest son wrote me this the nicest Christmas card I've ever been written about how much you know he you know, how happy he was being my friend and how much he wants my future to be happy and all that sort of stuff, And you think how profound. The fifteen year old kid, generally, you know, is a bit selfish.
Speaker 2: But and you met Chris.
Speaker 3: He did a show with this quick jumped up and I've got the n this is Christmas card.
Speaker 2: What a gift that is? You know one.
Speaker 1: I love it. I love it when young people can be emotionally kind of available and talk to you. And I'm not trying to be judgmental. It's just nice. Yeah, It's like there's a young guy who did which is this is very atypical for my stuff. But I did a mentor. By the way, everyone got a new mentoring group. It's just a blatant plug new mentoring group kicking off on Feb three. Nice, go to my website, Craigcarpa dot net brand new ten weeks. It's going to be good. The last one was great. But anyway, in the last one which finished a little bit before Chrissy, there's a young guy Patrick called Ozzie. Shout out to Ossie Triggwell, Ozzie is going to be in the top ten one day in the world surfer surfers, maybe number one. But he's seventeen year old seventeen year old grommet right, and he's just like life is just about fucking surf and sleep and food. That's it. Surf, sleep, food. He works, you know, but he's moved from wa to be in the best spot, which is allegedly anyway where he needs to be near coaches and stuff in Queensland. And I kind of chat with him semi regularly just about mind stuff and you know a little bit about you know, body stuff and training and recovery and prep and all of that. But he's such a good kid. You know. You'll send me a message and at the end there'll be like a heart or two, and I'm like, it's just nice that a kid is this evolved and you know, comfortable, comfortable I guess to show emotion and and like he there ain't many, you know. And I'm not saying kids now worse than they were when we were kids. It's at all. I'm just saying I wouldn't have done that when I was seventeen. But he will send me a message and say, harps, have you got ten minutes? And I'm like sure, And then he asks me all these great questions. I'm like, because at the same time, is this complete bloody surfer you know, surf rat, you know, like like smart but not particularly sophisticated, you know, just his sleep, eat, surf repeat. But some of the questions are quite profound because he wants to be he wants to be great, and I love that. And I especially in the days where you know, so much communication is not verbal, you know, so much is not two people having a conversation. It's kind of refreshing. So I love that.
Speaker 3: I think a lot of younger people now are much more in touch with their emotions. I see my nephews now in his mid twenties, but all of his mates that he went through school with, it's lovely to see that they still hug each other, you know, yeah, that they barriers to tactile contact that you know, the typical Australian male thing seem to be a thing of the past, hopefully, because I think the more that we're in touch with who we are, the more we can open up. And men traditionally are really really bad at the doing that. I listened to a podcast a few years ago called The Lonely American and it documented how men over the age of forty and now the suicide rates increasing. For those people, they tend to get divorced, they struggle getting new relationships, They've become estranged from family quite often, you know, break up, the kids go with mum, and that's I mean, I'm not kind of typecasting, but that can happen quite regularly. And so what happens is they see there's been a big spike in men committing suicide over the age of forty, which is really.
Speaker 2: Sad, lonely American.
Speaker 3: And so the more that you know, we bring up young people to be more connected with their emotions and be able to talk about things that are bothering them more things that.
Speaker 2: Are according causing concern.
Speaker 3: Hopefully it means that they've got the peer support to be able to know they can talk to their mates when something isn't going one percent, that's really important.
Speaker 1: Do you know what I've found interesting? And we'll get onto tech after this everybody. But I don't know. Sometimes sometimes I feel like, ah, this is what I'm meant to do now, whether or not that's just my mind or there's I'm sure it's just my mind, or maybe it's just a culmination of circumstances and observations and events. But I feel lately like my audiences with my like for example, my last mentoring group was seventy five percent or seventy percent female. When I do a big event it's a deacon university where we have seven hundred people in a room. Typically in the past it's been six hundred and fifty men and women and fifty men right, So very heavily female oriented. Not because I'm Brad Pitt, but because typically the stuff that I talk about and share and explore. For whatever reason, more women than men have been into it. That's shifting a little bit. So the numbers are changing, still predominantly women, but a greater percentage of men. But what I am noticing is a lot more of the people that are reaching out to me, not a suggestion everyone, but that I'm kind of talking to or helping, you know, incidentally or intentionally, are men. And I really feel like young men need older men, and of course women, but in some context an older dude who can and I don't mean that that needs to be me, but just an older man who is going to just love them and give them some support and just go you know what. It might be a bit of tough love. You fucked up, but that's okay, own it and you can do better. And I'm here for you. Do you need anything? And you know yeah, I I oh my god, No, I'm not going to say who, but a well known like a very very well known person in their profession sent me message on New Year's Day, a dude and it was just the nicest message I got over the Christmas New Year period, like made me cry. Nice and like from a many man man saying, you know, just just great stuff. And it's like, I'm so proud of him for the journey that he has been on the evolution and the development. And it's so good to be able to and of course the majority of people that I coach and support and speak to women, but it's great also that men some men, and the numbers seem to be increasing anecdotally on Planet Craig anyway that are going I need help with this, or I'm the problem with that, or can of a fucking hug, you know, whatever it is. I just like that that the chest beating alpha maleness is being you know, we still need strong men, but we also need sensitive, understanding, compassionate men, you know, and it's nice. These conversations are nice.
Speaker 3: It's interesting that, you know, we sometimes forget that we're not an isolated little body floating out in space, and that quite often the things that we're going through other people are going through as well.
Speaker 2: Other people have thought the same things.
Speaker 3: And sometimes just by reaching out and saying I had this thought or I'm going through this, suddenly it can be that little tiny crack that breaks open the dam and the flood waters come through and that can be a good thing too, So it's nice to know that, yeah, we're not isolated and alone, and it's very easy for people.
Speaker 2: And particularly at this time of the year.
Speaker 3: We had pretty good Christmases, and I get a sense that you had a pretty good Christmas, although you did have an emotional journey, and part of that journey was spending some time so we won't go through it, but spending some quality time with somebody at a stage in their life who's been very important to you is actually a special gift. And I got the same thing happened to me where I spent some time with somebody who was not long after passed away. But that sharing and the love between us over a twenty minute period holding hands is something that will be with me for the rest of my life and is an amazing gift. And we can look at any experience and look at the positive and negative, but if you focus on the positive side of it, that can actually be realdy or inspiring and help us move forward. I think on the journey that we have when we have someone who we lose, we can still think about them positively.
Speaker 2: Don't you think.
Speaker 1: It is such an interesting you know what I've just made an executive decision. We're going to do the tech episode soon. Today we're just going to talk about this. I think if you're all right with that, if you're well, I just I just think what we're talking about is important.
Speaker 2: Tell you about.
Speaker 3: Mikes because when you were telling me the story before we went on edge yours and I don't know how much you want to say about that, but if I can just share this, you're going to freak out as to how close it was to what happened to you. So just between the COVID breaks, when we had the little lifting of restrictions, my best friend who I grew up with, best friend from grade one, I've just been in my family. I was in his place every weekend, and you know, I had a kind of Mediterranean background, so very kind of you know, the Wog family. You know, you had to when you went out somewhere, if someone offered you a drink, you wouldn't actually say yes until you got the nod from mum or dad. You had to be on your absolute best behavior. So when I go to it and your family, multi is a of course, yeah, yeah, that's right.
Speaker 2: So when I went to the mate's place.
Speaker 3: His mum would say, look, I'll offer you a drink, but then you just go to the fridge and help yourself.
Speaker 2: And it's just really super relaxed.
Speaker 3: You know, if they bought a new TV and they had a big cardboard box, we'd turn it into a cardboard box city and take our sleeping bags out and that would right in the middle of their lounge room.
Speaker 2: So Jeff's mum was amazing, Patty. She was just awesome.
Speaker 1: And you were twenty two at the time, though.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Great, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Grade one was the best four years of my life. But when she battled through cancer, you know, she really did it hard. And then when you know, a few days before she passed away, I sat with her in Geelong in her room and held her hand and we talked, and she looked at me and she said, thanks for being such a good friend to Jeff over this whole time we're talking forty five years.
Speaker 2: Thanks for such a good friend.
Speaker 3: And we sat there just holding hands and talking, and that you know, twenty minutes or so was so special because we just had a restriction lifted so I could spend time, I could go to the hospital and got to spend that really really amazing quality time and personal connection, you know, being able to share emotions and journeys and time, and some journeys you can't put a finger on because time deepens the relationship, you know. I had my best mate come down recently and we've been friends for twenty years, and that was the nicest thing about Christmas, sharing it with friends, you know, that sort of stuff.
Speaker 2: So I think that the more we can do that.
Speaker 3: And I know you had a really challenging journey because you went through something almost identical, didn't you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I mean I'll share about it in a minute. But what I personally, what I love about podcasting is this. I love that we can go We're just going to talk about this now. It's like, well, we had a plan, but this is better for now. And I think sometimes like I sometimes go to see someone or have a conversation with someone, or do a thing and then in the moment, I'm like, I don't know why, but this is not the thing I should do. This is the thing I should do. And so maybe who knows, maybe this conversation for people will be meaningful or relevant, or maybe one or two people be helpful and perhaps comforting. Right, But yeah, like you so, and I've spoken a little bit about you know, my family grew up in parallel to, you know, very very close to geographically and emotionally and socially to another family where they're called the Powzer family pow t More well, and we grew up together. And they've got four daughters, and Rod and Mary have got one son. And I was like the fifth kid. I was like the boy and the family and they were like the girls in my family, and it was all very interwoven. And their mum's name was Ray and Rae and she passed away a few days ago and she was very very unwell. And on Christmas Day the families, our families have every Christmas Day together for the last million years. And obviously she couldn't be there. She was in hospital, coming towards the end of her life. And so I left the Christmas lunch. I had lunch with everybody, and then I went out by myself to the hospital to see Ray and yeah, I just sat with her and her husband, Gil was there, so it was just me and him. But I got there and he was sitting in a chair next her, and then he kind of moved away and I sat next her and the same, you know. And it's funny. I sat with her for an hour, give or take. And I don't want to say what she said, but she's she said a lot of amazing things. She's still cognitively fine. She was in lots of lots of pain and lots of drugs and lots of things happening, but she could communicate and so could I. And it was you know, like you truly And I know this sounds a cliche, but I was literally sitting there thinking how precious that moment was, but it was in context of my time knowing her, it was just another moment. But when you know, this is probably the last moment, right, And I thought, imagine and obviously we can't travel through life with that awareness or that level of gratitude all of the time or that perspective. But I came out of there and I can't tell you what she said because I'll cry, But but I came out of there, and I sat in my car and had a meltdown, and I just remember thinking, like, like this really all that matters, Like I know, on a practical level, day to day life, pay bills, you know, go for a jog, be a dickhead, you know, fuck around, record a podcast, all that trying, and all of those things matter, but ultimately, like you know, what matters is love and connection and belonging, and you know, having that, you know other things matter too. But in that moment, it's like, oh, like I've had that a few times in my life where I have, you know, this profound awareness, this profound realization that I theoretically know it. But then when you're in those moments, you're like, now I'm in that. Now I'm yeah, and yeah, I think I think just realizing, you know, and then it gave me I'll shut up after this. But then, you know, then I think, how many Chris Misses are left with mum and dad, you know, without being more But just that's a good that's a good awareness. How many more trips to morewell will I have? How many more Mary hugs and uncomfortable clunky ron hugs will I have? Do you know what I mean? And then you're like, in the context of the shit that I waste energy on, the bullshit that I waste energy on emotional energy or physical energy or mental energy, how does that in terms of importance that stuff I waste energy on compared to the importance and the value and the significance of my mum and dad. Well it's not even a one on one hundred scale, you know. So yeah, I know that's very deep and philosophical, but you know, just just that that kind of Yeah, it was. It was a bittersweet, you know, it was really and much much of course, infinitely harder for the girls and Gil the husband. But yeah, such a beautiful time. And I'll like you mate with with you know, your friend's mum, like, I will never forget that never.
Speaker 3: Two things occurred to me when you were talking about that, and the first was, I know we spoke about this. I think in a previous episode, I did a mindfulness workshop, and mindfulness is just enjoying the moment, focusing on the moment, and.
Speaker 2: That can be quite profound.
Speaker 3: And if you try to practice mindfulness every day, and it might be through breathing, it could be through meditating, yoga, tai chi, but there's lots of different ways to be mindful, and it's about not allowing the distractions to kind of take us away.
Speaker 2: From that moment.
Speaker 3: And I think when you're emotionally focused in your case on somebody you cared about so deeply.
Speaker 2: That was mindfulness for you.
Speaker 3: Because every second you work in a lie, anything distract you from that hour you spent holding the hand, the tactile control, you know, the feeling of the person, listening to what they were saying. Every word would be kind of seed into your memory because you knew this was something that was so super special that you wanted to record it to that brain hard drive and not let it disappear. And so that's where mindfulness kicks in. So sometimes we don't realize we're practicing mindfulness until it kind of presents itself like this.
Speaker 2: But we can, we can bring it on.
Speaker 3: We can bring on the state of mindfulness at any different time. And you know, one of the little exercises I do with my tai Chi group is simply holding your breath, so you know, breathing in for four seconds, holding for four seconds and then letting it go for four seconds, and then you increase that to six seconds, to eight seconds, to ten seconds, and just thinking about breathing, breathing in.
Speaker 2: You know, see if you take a long, slow, deep breath.
Speaker 3: You know, there was a little study that was done a few years ago into how much and how rapidly we breathe. We tend to operate on high adrenaline a lot of the time in our society. We're looking at you know, smartphones, we're driving in traffic, we're getting frustrated, and so we tend to shallow breathe. And what it was found was that it's believed that we take twice as many breaths as our grandparents did. We don't deep breathe, We just shallow breathe constantly. So that's one of the big things that I like to do is take nice, long, slow, deep breaths. And when I was referring to the mindfulness thing, the other thing that popped in my mind is when are you not mindful?
Speaker 2: When are you angry?
Speaker 3: And there's nothing I think that can get us more angry instantly than being cut off in traffic, someone tailgating you.
Speaker 2: You know, think about.
Speaker 3: Being on the road and the things that other drivers do that can rile you. Now I'm not suggesting it sparks a road rage incident, but you can see why it sparks a road rage incident. So we can go from mindful to hate full and angry in such a flip of a switch, can't we and maybe taking a deep breath and think. And the thing is what I kind of try to think about as well, is that person who cut us off? There's reasons for that. We've spoken about that in other shows. Why was that person angry? You know, maybe they're going through a lot of shit in their lives right now. Maybe they're just not concentrating and something's happened to loved ones passed away, or they've had a terrible you know, diagnosis or something along those lines, or they've just got sacked from their job.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: So people don't I don't think anybody intentionally cuts someone off, But we take such an aversion to that, we take such a personal aversion to someone doing the wrong thing by us, that we easily jump to the conclusions.
Speaker 2: In our own mind.
Speaker 3: We create this fictitious situation where that person has done that to me. You know, they've cut you off, They've done the worst possible thing, you know. You know they haven't killed your dog, you know they you know that they haven't robbed you of all your possessions. But yet the emotions that you feel in that moment, you know, maybe try to be how hard is it to be mindful and take a breath and say, you know what, I'm just going to slow down.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to think.
Speaker 3: About it, because it's better for you to not have your heart rate suddenly jumped two hundred bats per second per minute, I should say, you know, and your blood pressure go through the roof, because you're not doing yourself any favors by getting angry anyway.
Speaker 1: And you're not creating good outcomes, like generally the other Pursuant to this, Patrick, You're exactly right for the most part. I wasn't always, but these days, for the most part, I'm really calm. Like I rarely get you know, I get I got a bit sad over Christmas, of course, but I don't really get too sad too often or too anxious too often. And I don't get angry very often. But I can get angry when I see people being or when people are really rude, I mean overtly rude and overtly inappropriate, and like I find it. I know, there's a shock. So the other day I was at the gym and I was working out, and this young guy walked there's this new thing happening in gym's and it's called tailgating. They call it tailgating, right, Yeah, So all it means is Patrick's got a gym membership and he's taken three of his mates to the gym. And Patrick clicks the door, which has got you know, you've got your card, you're twenty four hour pass. You walk in and three year mates walking behind you.
Speaker 2: You've done that with me before. It your gym, haven't you.
Speaker 1: I've never done that. Don't be an idiot. Don't be an idiot. And so this young kid walked in and there were three kids that followed him in. They're all teenagers. Now that's you know, that's neither here nor there. But they were just being little pricks. So there were three of them in there. They were hanging off shit, they were fucking around, They're being morons. They were allowed, they were being inconsiderate, and I'm like, oh god, like I can't. I don't know, like what do I do? Do I walk? It's not my gym. At the same time, this is like, this is like they're being a little pricks. Let's I'm going to be honest, like their behavior was unacceptable. They are rude, they're inconsiderate, like they were disruptive. So I walk up and I go, I don't know who I am, not that I'm anyone. I go, go, boys, can I see you membership cards? And they all look at me. They all look at me. Yeah, and they don't know if I'm someone or no one, right, But I had the don't fuck with me look, and they're all like and there was two of them were like h and one of them was just I can't even say what I want to say. But anyway, here's my point. It kind of ended, Okay, I kind of sorted something with them, but I got so angry so quickly, not as in X like I would do anything to them or lose my shit and scream, but relevant to what you said, I could feel my blood pressure pressure Patrick, it's like a fucking million over half a million, and I don't yeah, I yeah, that's a thing where I go, I don't want to be that. But then at the same time, you know, there was I think it was Sir Edmund Burke who wrote and obviously this is aged not well because it was a gender specific, but he said, and I like the philosophy behind this. He said, all that's necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. And I'm like, well, when people are doing bad shit in front of me, when people are being inappropriate or rude or thoughtless or careless, like, do I just go Do I just go to another part of the gym, Like nobody's doing anything, and I'm well aware before anyone sends me a message it's not your responsible. I'm well aware. But is it? Though? Like if I walk outside and someone's hurting someone, do I just go? Ah, I'm not getting involved, Like there are so many scenarios where and it's not about being a hero or being anyone's savior. It's just like, ah, I don't. And there's been lots of times where I have this moral compass and maybe it's wrong, I don't know, but I go, well, I'm quite strong and quite big so that I can help this person, and so I would not jump in and punch anyone, but just intervene to do what I thought was protecting someone.
Speaker 2: But I've been sitting videos.
Speaker 3: You know, My algorithm on YouTube is so boring because of course the more you watch of certain things, the more that just propagates the same sorts of videos.
Speaker 2: So it's lots of tech stuff.
Speaker 3: I love watching short sci fi, some LGBT stuff which is really cute, you know, that sort of thing, And so I tend to only have a curated list of things that are suggested to me by Google via YouTube. But someone sent me a link to I can't remember what it was, you know, the small guy getting in on the big guy. You know something that so small guy gets picked on, ends up that he's a judo expert, and.
Speaker 2: It gets gets stumped or something.
Speaker 3: But then it opened up a whole lot of other videos and you know what occurred to me, not what the violent acts were, but people were filming them and letting them happen in front of them. You know, that's you know, how many videos are there of people showing these things being perpetrated, someone being bullied, you know, kids showing other kids being bullied, or someone being beaten up, or someone being abusive, and what are all the spectators doing. They're being spectators And that's the difficult to step in. You know, when you were talking about the boys in the gym, and I can see that, you know, the boys follow their mate in their tailgating so they can get access to the gym, and they were piss farting around and being teenage boys. And the thing is, I guess why were they doing that. Maybe they couldn't afford the membership. Maybe they thought it was fun just to get in there for a lark, they wanted to hang out with their mate. And you know, thinking beyond that is really hard for us to do, because you know, they were impacting your personal space.
Speaker 2: You pay for your.
Speaker 3: Membership and they're sneaking in. You know, the three of the guys didn't have a membership, or four of them didn't have an membership, and that makes you angry. And it's really hard to look beyond that. And it's human nature to be riled up by those things. And I'm not suggesting that anybody can can do that. I'm not suggesting that, you know, you could have turned the other cheek and suddenly mentored these kids and showing them how to bench press properly or whatever.
Speaker 2: It's a hard thing.
Speaker 3: It's a hard journey because the problem is when we get riled up, you know, it's like we you know, the term we see red is just that we've suddenly got to filter over our eyes. We've got the blinker vision on. We go down one path and maybe unless you're the Dalai Lama or you know somebody who shows so much compassion, unless we practice compassion or do we mindfully do that? Do we sit down and say, right what act of compassion can I perform today?
Speaker 2: Will that make us better people?
Speaker 3: If we You know, you were talking about the haptic contact and the fake arm and eventually you know you feel that you feeling that touch even though it's not your real arm. Well, maybe by by evaluating and saying, Okay, I'm going to take the five extra breaths before I make a decision on what I'm going to do to these kids, whether I'm going to approach them, or how my reaction is going to be when I approach them. You know, what do I say to them? How could that play out differently? Because we don't give ourselves the time to do that and maybe I don't know, maybe it takes a better person than me, potentially, I got to say, but to sit back and say, I'm going to think for five seconds before I act. You know, I'm not going to a rash decision. I'm not going to cut that person off. I'm not going to tailgate them. You know, They've just cut me off, it's just stuck their finger up at me. But I'm going to take a few breaths, and is it in the grand scheme of things really going to make a change to my life, the universe and everything. You know, how many stories have you heard of people who've made rash decisions in the heat of the moment? Murder is committed in the heat of the moment, that's the most you know, very few people plan out a murder unless you're.
Speaker 2: A hit man, I guess, or a hit person.
Speaker 3: But the reality of it is, I don't know what the statistics are, but you certainly hear that most acts of passion, you know, the crime of passion. We've all heard that statement before, a crime of pain, And that's that's hitting that moment of when emotions take over and rationale and the rational brain suddenly just goes out the door.
Speaker 1: Now, now I'm going to say, in my defense, your honor, it didn't bother me that they all snuck in. That bothered me, but that that wasn't why I went up to them. Yeah, they were being they were being really inappropriate in front of people, like they were creating a problem. And that's but anyway, I don't know. Maybe I shouldn't have done it. Maybe I shouldn't think you did the right thing. I think that people don't. I've told this once before, but I heard this noise. You know where I live, and you know the street I live. On the end of my driveway. I heard this screaming and I'm like, what the fuck is That sounded like a child. And I went out and I opened I went out. I was in just like shorts, bare feet and a singlet and there was this father, well I didn't know, but there was this grown ass man my size whacking this small child what like, at the end of my driveway. And the kid was cowering and screaming, Oh my god, wow. And so yeah, and I just got between him and the child. And you know, anyway, it doesn't matter. But and he goes to me, he's my child, that was his rationale. Yeah, I go, he's fucking five years old. You're a grown ass man. And I told him I would hit him if he touched the child. I go, if you touch that child, I'll hit you. I don't give a fuck if you're the father. And I told him he should be ashamed of him. Fucking I don't understand how how fucking disconnected do you need to be to do that? And then when someone confronts you explain that it's okay because he's your child, I'm like, what the fuck is wrong with you? It's such a literally said that to him, What is wrong with you?
Speaker 2: It's the Neanderthal thing. I don't know.
Speaker 1: And you wonder what happens when he's not on a main street in public. Yeah, poor little bugger. Well that's not a very bright fucking anyway, listener. Social vigilities. I don't know. I don't know. I'm not a dad, I'm not a parent. What do I know?
Speaker 2: But it's hard.
Speaker 3: It's difficult, Look, Parrington, parenting is really difficult. My colleague and his wife have their little girls, probably going to I think she turns too in March and March this year, and he says to me so many times, this is the hardest thing we've ever done. They've only got one kid, and I think of my mum who had four boys and two wins.
Speaker 2: And it's like, how the hell did she do that? How do mum say?
Speaker 3: Superheroes like the absolute parents can be absolute superheroes. And when people do it right, they just do it so well. But the challenges it's really hard, and I've never had to face that. You know, it's great that my friends let their kids come and stay with me and then I send them back. Yeah, you know, it's great to do the quality time, to do the fun stuff, you know, that sort of thing.
Speaker 1: You know, I've been told nine million times you'd be a great dad, But I actually don't think I would.
Speaker 2: I don't know you would.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I think i'd be. I think I would be so I feel like i'd be over protective and I don't definitely would not want to believe that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, bit of a hellicols.
Speaker 1: I know what teenage boys are like, so if I had a daughter, I'd be fucking terrible. But anyway, mate, we've got to go tell people how to connect with you and build a beautiful relationship. With Patrick James Bonello over twenty twenty five.
Speaker 3: It's funny because my business is like building websites and marketing and logos and branding and all that sort of stuff. And you know the websites websites now, dot com, todau. If you want to connect so websites now dot com today you but I feel like, if you really want to get to know me, go to my Taichi website, tied Shei at home dot com, todau, because you know, it's not it's funny what defines a person.
Speaker 2: It's not one little thing.
Speaker 3: It's just that conglomerate of everything, those that lovely melting pot, you know. Today, I'm going to go after we finish now, I'll probably take Fritz out for a walk, go for a one down the street. There's an opshop that I want to go to. I'll probably see lots of people. The wonderful thing living in a small town is you get to see so many people and to them. There was a little arts group that had had lost their gallery space and they've just taken over another building. And there was this poor woman trying to get a post out of the ground that was bolted to another post. And I was walking past and I looked at it, and I started chatting to her, and she was really concerned that a kid might swing off it, because a kid had done that the day before. So I ended up spending fifteen minutes trying to get us screw out of the bottom of a post. And then we got chatting and I had a look at the art space. I'm digressing with chatting again. I know the podcasts almost over.
Speaker 2: But I love that. I love that you know. So many different things make up who we are.
Speaker 3: So Yeah, if you want to know about tech and you want to get a website, or you want to talk branding and marketing, yeah, go to websites now, dot com, tot are you?
Speaker 2: But you know what, do some ti cheet with me virtually?
Speaker 3: You know, jump on too, tie chee at home and maybe you know, see some of the exercises. Catch up with me and Fritz when we do our tie cheet together.
Speaker 2: Yeah. If you want to get to know me, go to my tai cheat website.
Speaker 1: You remind me of Mary. Mary rings me and she goes, are you busy? I go, yeah, I can't talk, and she goes, all right, I'll be brief and then starts talking. I'm like, you just said can I talk? And I said no, God bless her. All right, mate, thank you, I'll see you next time.
Speaker 3: Jeez.
Speaker 2: Sarah