Speaker 1: Late welcome the Late Debate.
Speaker 2: Well, good evening and thanks for joining us.
Speaker 3: I'm James Macpherson with Liz Storer and Caleb Bond. If you think local government in Australia gets pretty crazy, wait until we show you a mayoral debate in Brazil. It ends with one candidate being hit over the head with a chair, as happens in meyoral debates as well. We'll look at what's making news in the papers tomorrow. Good news for mortgage holders are rumors of four rate cuts next year, but can we really believe it? And more immigration bungling by the federal labor government that's on tomorrow's front page of The Australian.
Speaker 2: Will show you that as well.
Speaker 3: But first, Queers for Palestine activists around the world have been given a challenge, a one million dollar prize to whoever is brave enough to stage a gay pride rally in Gaza or in the West Bank. So all those protesters insisting Thatian liberation and gay liberation are one and the same thing now have a chance to prove it, and if they do, as I said, they get a million dollars in prize money. Spoiler alert, I don't think that million dollars is going anywhere. The money has been put up by an American organization called New Tolerance Campaign. Now, the president of that organization is himself a gay man, Gregory Angelo, and he says the offer of a million dollars is legit. It's not a stunt, he told the media.
Speaker 2: Quote.
Speaker 3: This campaign emerged to call out these purported activists of LGBTQ equality and to put our money where their mouths are. I think this is a real opportunity for these groups to legitimately step up and host an event that would either highlight the fact that the Palestinian territories are not indeed a good place for LGBTQ individuals to be living, or it could be a breakthrough moment for pluralism and peace in the Middle East. Well, give that man a medal for optimism. The only floor and see in this offer is that the organizers have not put any time restriction on how long that gay pride parade has to last in order for you to qualify for the million dollars. I suggest if anyone tries it, it may be over fairly quickly. Of course, never mind what the LGBTQ quiz for Palestine activists say the fact is that Islamic nations are not kind to gay people. Typically, they're imprisoned, stoned, hung, or thrown from rooftops.
Speaker 2: Have listened.
Speaker 4: As a gay man, I would be punished and or put in prisoner killed if I were opened again in Palestine. How do you react to that?
Speaker 5: I didn't know that.
Speaker 4: So it is illegal to be gay in Palestine. You are punished by prison or Jazz Israel. No Israel has gay parade. Israel is completely open to with lesbian and gay people. Palestine puts them in prisoner kills them. You weren't aware of that.
Speaker 2: I was not aware of that.
Speaker 5: No, so that does pose an interesting aspect.
Speaker 3: It does pose an interesting aspect, interesting challenge, Liz, A million dollars.
Speaker 2: It's a legitimate offer.
Speaker 3: Anyone who wants to go to Gaza or the West Bank and put on a gay pride parade a million bucks. Someone will do it, won't they.
Speaker 5: This is weapons grade trolling, and I'm here for it. I absolutely love it. The more of this, the better.
Speaker 6: Satire is such an underrated weapon in the culture wars because he's outwardly said.
Speaker 5: I am being dead serious.
Speaker 6: I don't want this dismissed is some sort of I'm poking fun. I am being dead serious. If you want to hold this rally in Gaza, if you want to go to Palestine and be all queers for Palestine Palestinian liberation, go for it.
Speaker 5: On my dollar. I'll sponsor the whole thing. And no takers, No takers yet. I mean, this is unbelievable.
Speaker 6: I'm almost tempted to have a whack at it just for this cash money. But the woman that you showed in that clip, by the way, as that pop vox continues, literally says, and this is to go to show how genuinely ignorant.
Speaker 5: These people are.
Speaker 6: As the drag queen keeps asking her questions, she genuinely.
Speaker 5: Says to him in all seriousness, but Israel's Muslim country too, isn't it?
Speaker 6: Literally talk about not having a clue.
Speaker 5: I love it.
Speaker 7: This is just brilliant, and the downfall of it might actually be, apart from the fact that there's no timeline on it, that someone one of these Quiz for Palestine activists may actually give it a go because they don't have any idea about how they would be treated if they gave it a go. The insurance policy might be that he won't have to pay it out because that person won't end up coming back to the West. They will either be in prison or did. But good on him for so Look, if you're really.
Speaker 1: That invested in this portion, then go and prove it.
Speaker 7: Because so many of these activists, whether they be quiers for Palestine or the people who set up tents at out the front of the universities across the country. You know, they're all high and mighty there and this is the biggest problem on earth, and we care about it so much. A million dollars is there. None of them are going to do it because AD that don't really understand what they're campaigning for, and b they don't really care. It's just that Israel and Gaza is the topic dujuur at the moment.
Speaker 1: So they're going to jump on anything they can possibly jump on. Do it. Go on, I want to see you do it. It will be a beautiful thing.
Speaker 7: In fact, we're going to start running a little counter thing, I think in the corner of the screen there every night, you know, days since the offer has been made and no one's taken it up. Because this is a genuine offer and This is what we need, as you say, is to see more of.
Speaker 1: Till these activists.
Speaker 7: If you really care, put your money your mountains, or at least put your sensibilities ahead of everything else, and go and give it a go.
Speaker 1: Let's see how it turns out.
Speaker 6: And he literally said, I do not want this understood as a publicity stunt.
Speaker 5: I am dead serious. The money's on.
Speaker 6: The table, get your skates on. You do wonder whether the liabilities would stand for any kind of security needs around such an investment in Gaza, But I doubt we'll get to see how that ends, because it will go absolutely nowhere, as a simple Google would tell those quis for Palestine to.
Speaker 5: A local story.
Speaker 6: Now, remember last month we were talking about how Sydney Water hadn't tested for pfas in our water catchment. So they had been telling us for a very long time, don't worry about forever chemicals in your drinking water. There is none, at least we don't know that there is any, because we haven't tested for any.
Speaker 5: Then they tested for some and.
Speaker 8: Found some, but they said, don't worry about it.
Speaker 6: They quietly were this information on their website.
Speaker 5: Don't worry about it. It's all under control and it's really not that bad.
Speaker 6: Well, today we discover that the p fass situation in this particular water catchment up in the Blue Mountains is white hot.
Speaker 5: We are told by these experts.
Speaker 6: To quote Western Sydney University water scientist Ian Wright, he said, the results are white hot.
Speaker 5: We have gone in a couple of months from there are no hot spots in.
Speaker 6: The catchment area to these very disturbing results. The only difference is that now we've started testing, so they've found these pa fas chemicals. They've detected levels more than fifty times higher than Australian drinking water standards. Keep in mind, Australian drinking water standards allow an amount of pfas in your drinking water one hundred and forty times higher than the maximum levels the US allows just in the US. In Europe, Australia's daily tolerable intake is two hundred and eighty times more than the amount deemed safe by the European.
Speaker 5: Food Safety Authority.
Speaker 6: So safe to say when they say that Australia's situation with pfas at the moment is an international embarrassment, they're not being dramatic.
Speaker 5: What is being done about this. You asked absolutely nothing.
Speaker 6: Well, I mean, I think we can safely say nothing. Given it with Senator Lydia Thorpe, who has been made chairman of some sort of committee.
Speaker 5: That's supposed to be looking into this.
Speaker 6: Talk about a government telling you we're not making this top priority. Keep in mind, these are forever chemicals. There's about fourteen thousand of them. When we're talking about pfases, we're talking about fourteen thousand different chemicals. They're referred to as forever chemicals because they don't break down in your body, and they don't break down in the atmosphe. They are indeed forever, and they have very real health impacts, even very worrying links to cancer. There's a reason why the US says it is spending a quarter of a trillion dollars a year on the health impacts that p fas in the bodies of Americans are having on their health system. There's no word of a lie. They actually estimate it would be more than that, but that's a conservative estimate because it is in fact linked to so many health complications.
Speaker 5: They're just trying to stay on top of it all.
Speaker 6: This is something that our government has ignored for so long. Most everyday people aren't even aware that this stuff is in your food. It's in your food packaging, it's in your tupperware, ladies, it's in your makeup and your hygiene products. It's in your toothfloss, you name it.
Speaker 5: You can find p fasts there.
Speaker 6: And this is just day after day building up in people's bodies. And the insidious nature of this is that if later in life, after you've had this build up, you do have certain health complications, the last thing that you're going to think of doing is blaming it on pfas.
Speaker 5: And even if you could, who are you going to sue?
Speaker 6: Who are you going to get any kind of recriminations from? Who are you going to get a payout from? When all these manufacturers of countless different products are just doing this willy nilly, and the government refuses to do anything because corporate greed reigns and rules supreme, and the government knows we're not going to put the clamp down on all these different industries that a multimillion dollar, multi billion dollar industries sot it to.
Speaker 5: The health of our people.
Speaker 6: It's just business as usual. It's utterly infuriating.
Speaker 7: We recently show a study on this program, and I think it found that it was about five percent of the weight that were finding in people's brains was microplastics.
Speaker 1: Right, So he accumulates in the.
Speaker 7: Body, it cannot be expelled and if it's coming into places like your brain, then you're going to be seriously worried. And I know we've highlighted this before, but the fact that the New South Wales federal government said that we don't believe there's anything to worry about because we haven't tested for p fats because we don't believe there's any prefats in the water. It's like I'd likened it last time to you know, on colleges saying well, I'm not going to check if there might be any cancer in your body because I don't believe at this point that.
Speaker 2: There is any cancer.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, that's going to go really well, isn't it. It comes down to pure laziness.
Speaker 5: And by the way, the negligence anty times.
Speaker 7: That was found in the dam by this particular scientist, he also found in a catchment that feeds into the.
Speaker 1: Dam two hundreds of times, right.
Speaker 2: Which is just extraordinary.
Speaker 7: But given that the US has most recently made moves on this and severely restricted the amount that is allowed to be found in potable drinking water.
Speaker 1: You gave them numb from Europe.
Speaker 7: There, the fact like it's being done across the world, the fact that the Australian government just sort of sits on its hands and says, ah, well, we don't really think this is anything to worry about.
Speaker 2: At the moment.
Speaker 1: What about the rest of the world. They're moving on it. Why don't you want to move on it.
Speaker 7: It's not as though there isn't precedent being seid across the western world.
Speaker 8: Here.
Speaker 3: There's a number of really interesting lessons from this. Firstly, you should never underestimate the ineptitude of government bureaucracy.
Speaker 2: As you've both pointed out.
Speaker 3: They said there's no need to test because we have no evidence of PFAS, and the reason we have no evidence is because we've done no tests. So it's this wonderful circular argument that's very self serving.
Speaker 2: The second lesson is.
Speaker 3: Just how important good journalism is, because if it wasn't for the Sydney Morning Herald doing an investigation, they were the ones who commissioned this scientist ye to go and do a proper study, then it would be situation normal and water New South Wales cannot say, or have not said, or will not say how long water was flowing with pfas levels elevated until.
Speaker 2: It was recognized.
Speaker 3: And then third, it makes you wonder if there's elevated levels of pfas in these water catchment areas for the Blue Mountains, in what other parts of Australia Is pfas a significant part of the water supply And we just don't know because a bureaucracy, a bureaucrat hasn't been motivated to get off his ass. And then fourth, they still haven't found the source of this pfas. They're still trying to work it out. Is it come from, even suggesting it could have come from road accidents where firefighters have used foam on a highway that's not far from a water source. The other concern is that it's in the water table itself and so they may never be able to completely get rid of it.
Speaker 1: He would have seen into the water table. But of course the suggestion that it is coming from firefighting phone is quite legitimate.
Speaker 7: But they have known about that for at least a decade. Federal government has been paying our compensation to people whose land has been infected by pfas needs to air wrapt bases.
Speaker 1: All they've used this farfludas.
Speaker 5: In training exercises.
Speaker 7: They've been aware of that for decades and yet they still have not.
Speaker 1: Made any movement on it. And I know they will argue that it is difficult, because it is absolutely everybody.
Speaker 8: Oh oh well, if it's difficult, god forbid, you put the health of twenty five million Australians first and actually do your due diligence.
Speaker 5: As per the numbers from.
Speaker 6: The American health sector, saying that so many people are sick due to the side effects of these chemicals found in everything from your disposable coffee cup, microplastics. Everywhere people are ingesting these on a daily basis.
Speaker 5: Yes, it will cost a lot of.
Speaker 6: Money to get this right in any country, but like you say, at.
Speaker 5: Least others are trying. It is worth it nothing.
Speaker 6: We can all agree. Nothing is worth more than one's personal health.
Speaker 5: That's it.
Speaker 6: If you don't have your health, your quality of life is not half of what it could be. Everyone knows it's the most valuable thing that every individual has, and this government doesn't give a.
Speaker 3: Rich and the irony is we're continually told and warned about the fact that Australia's being left behind by other countries, whether it's with regards renewables or whether it's regards for rights for certain identity groups. We've got to catch up with the rest of the world otherwise we're going to be seen as laggards. But when it comes to something as serious as this, well, the government's conducting a review and who knows when that will be completed, And as you said, with Lydia Thorpe leading the charge on some of these things, god knows.
Speaker 2: If you've done.
Speaker 6: The main difference between these issues is the others that you named are government a genders.
Speaker 5: They've got a dog in the fight.
Speaker 6: There's a reason why, oh Australia can't be seen as a laggart in this area. But when it's just concerning my health and your health and your children's children's children, because this is only going to get worse over successive generations. Again, if these chemicals don't break down, we're literally just filling up the world with them. Then oh no, no, no, this is fine. It's perfectly okay to be a lagger. This isn't the government doesn't have a dog in this fight.
Speaker 5: We couldn't care less. Let's not pay attention to this.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to work out, Caleb, which is the better troll on the public? Is it Kamala Harris being responsible for protecting humanity from AI or is it Lydia thought being responsible to protect our brains from plastic?
Speaker 7: Probably on the same level, I'd suggest Lydia Thorpe has already been affected by high levels of plastic in her brain. One thing we don't want to follow the rest of the world on is a convention that is set to be ratified by the UN this month. Now, this has already been approved by a committee of the UN put forward by Russia and China, and you'd think that would set alarm bells off, But the majority of the UN is supporting this convention on cyber crime. You might go, okay, cybercrime, Sam's like something that we'd want to crack down on. But this comes at the same time as we brought you the story last night about Queen's Land heavily restricting free speech in their state. We of course have the Misinformation Disinformation Bill that has been introduced at a federal level here.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 7: Now, the UN says that in the name of combating cyber crime, they basically want to give governments across the world unprecedented ability to share online information, online data with each other to combat what they call serious crime.
Speaker 1: But the threshold for deciding.
Speaker 7: What a serious crime is is the two governments agree that a crime is serious.
Speaker 1: So that could be anything.
Speaker 7: It could be that you are criticizing the prime minister or the leader of a country. It could be that you are putting misinformation online.
Speaker 1: Who knows.
Speaker 7: Two governments simply have to agree that it is a serious crime, and then they'll have special abilities to gain data that the otherwise would not have. Now, this, as you can imagine, is a major threat to the free press, and in the United States journalists are fighting tooth and nail again this. They've actually been taking out full page ads in newspapers warning of what is going to come if this is passed.
Speaker 1: This is one of those full page ads.
Speaker 7: Where they say protect journalists, reject a new global surveillance treaty. For more than three years, you and Member States have been negotiating new global convention to combat cybercrime introduced.
Speaker 1: By Russia with the support.
Speaker 7: Of China, Iran and other authoritarian regimes, it has expanded to become a broad criminal instrument that gives authorities far reaching surveillance and investigatory powers both at home and abroad, with weak safeguards to prevent overreach and abuse. They warn that it could give spy capabilities to track down and punish journalists and give repressive regimes even more tools for targeting and muzzling the press, which is of course what any government would want when they believe that people are saying things that might be negative towards them right. One expert who has done a deep dive into what this convention would be on data ax says that unfortunately, a data access treaty has been drawn up that will allow governments around the world to exchange citizens' personal information in perpetual secrecy in the event of any crime the two governments agree. Is serious as I was talking about before. He says, this would include eavesdropping on location and real time communications around the world. It would force it workers to divulge passwords or other access keys that would compromise the security of global systems that billions of people rely on every day, and it's not just private sector systems. Government systems are also at risk, and we know exactly how much data government collects on us.
Speaker 1: This could potentially.
Speaker 7: Open up the possibility for foreign governments to gain access to your data from governments on the other side of the world. Nick Ashtonhart is his name. He also goes on to point out other ridiculous parts of this convention. He says, incredibly, the text expressly allows governments to prosecute children for sexting in the same article that is supposed to protect them from sexual predators. The article also puts people working in charities who help bring predators to justice at risk of prosecution because they need access to material created by predators as part of their work. Civil society advocates have repeatedly pointed out this obvious deficiency, but to no avail. This is set to be ratified by the UN this month. This is not just a problem in Australia with misinformation disinformation. This is a global push right now that has gone right to the top at the UN. An idea pushed by the most authoritarian regimes in the world, Russia, China, Iran and the United Nations is set to it's not veto to.
Speaker 1: Go ahead with it. It is absolutely outrageous.
Speaker 3: This is typical of what governments are doing now, where they're writing laws and they're being deliberately vague so that things that you and I would approve of specifically, they write these orders and theseus pieces of legislation so that they can be used for all sorts of generalities that you and I never imagined. And so our own government now is talking about things like hate and things like harm, but God knows what they mean by those terms. They talk about misinformation disinformation, which allows them to be arbiters of everything. And we've got the same situation now happening at the United Nations, where they're proposing to fight cyber crime, but the definition of cyber crime is so broad and so general it leaves open all these possibilities and they could be specific about it. And in fact, more than one hundred human rights organizations wrote to the United Nations urging them, when you're putting this proposal together, could you please consider human rights issues at the forefront of your thinking. Liz laughs because he knows human rights isn't exactly what the United Nations is known for, and of course they have ignored all of those please legislation, so it can be used by the most authoritarian regimes on Earth to essentially crack down on people they consider.
Speaker 2: To be dangerous or dissonance i e. People who agree disagree with them.
Speaker 6: Yeah, all of these, all of these bills, legislation.
Speaker 5: And now on a global scale at the US say they're all for the government's good.
Speaker 6: They're all for the global elites, which I refer to as the parasitic class, because they don't create anything. They don't make anything, they don't build anything.
Speaker 5: They just leach.
Speaker 6: Off us plubs at the bottom of the food chain, while dictating what we can and can't do, in this case, what we can and can't say, who we can and can't associate with. You don't know who amongst your friends. It might be now considered a crime to even be associated with them. There is no end to this, as we were discussing last night. If the Feds don't do it, if they don't pass their Misinformation Disinformation Bill, the hate Speech Bill, the States are already onto it. The States are already filling the gap. This is exactly what we saw after the Voice was comprehensively voted down. The States had already the horse had bolted. Every single state in this country already had their own QUASI the Voice to Parliament ready to go. Some of them had already implemented it before Australia even went to a vote on this issue. So this just goes to show.
Speaker 5: They're going to get you one way or another.
Speaker 6: Either it's the FEDS, either it's the state governments. And now we have this global entity, this one world government that I like to refer to the un AS because that's essentially what it is. They're going to do it at the upper echelons, and we all know the pressure that they apply to the countries who sign up to their treaties, to their conventions. I studied it at length when I did my master's degree in human rights, and let me tell you, this thing has more red flags than Chinese military parade.
Speaker 5: But guess what.
Speaker 6: The General Assembly only needs forty ya's for this thing to get across the line, So you can bet your bottom dollar it's as good as past.
Speaker 3: The good thing for us is that Anthony Alberanezi we quoted him last night talking about that.
Speaker 2: You know, we're pushing back against.
Speaker 3: Big tech because how dare they violate our national sovereignty. So I can't imagine the labor governments signing up to this.
Speaker 2: United Nations.
Speaker 3: Anthony Alberanzi will look after our national sovereigny.
Speaker 5: Is like great problems, so and I can drop this. They've taken care of it at the UN.
Speaker 2: You can sleep easy, Liz.
Speaker 3: Anthony Albanesi is in charge, and Lydia Thorpees, I said, is looking after the plastics issue. But for more comedy relief, we go to the Twitter feed of the UN Secretary General Antonio Gutres. He ignores human rights but pretends to care about them. This is his latest tweet, pretending to know what women are. It's twenty twenty four, and yet achieving gender equality remains a distant goal. We will only reduce poverty and inequality when we truly see women's rights as our common objective. He goes on to say, it will take one hundred and thirty seven years to end extreme poverty among women if we don't act now for women's rights. Remember this is from the mob who took five months to acknowledge that Jewish women had been raped by Islamists from Hamas. This is a mob whose own UN Women Organization tweet rubbish like this. Now, remember they're advocating for women's rights. But here's what youn women tweeted back in twenty twenty. Trans women are women. At the end of the day, every woman is a woman. Women are multifaceted, intergenerational, international, They are limitless. Formless is women are formals. We are formless.
Speaker 5: Anyone can be a woman.
Speaker 6: You can be a purple people leader too, are a woman.
Speaker 5: We don't have to be formalist in order for this to work.
Speaker 3: Because I haven't finished a tweet yet. It goes on to say women are the world. Oh wow, but women's rights if you say we are the women are so non specific they are actually formless.
Speaker 2: Let me go one step further.
Speaker 3: The UN website features a page on transgenderism, and they say, and I quote, the UM has affirmed the right of trans persons to legally recognize their gender identity and change their gender in official documents, including birth certificates, without being subjected to onerous and abusive requirements. Not only does the United Nations promote self identification when it comes to gender, but the website goes on to propose that children also have the right to be recognized by the gender of their choice, and it goes even further, saying that transgendered people deserve compensation in nations where their gender identit to the as chosen by themselves has not been legally recognized.
Speaker 2: But kind of.
Speaker 3: There's another problem, of course, with the UN Secretary General saying it's all about women's rights when he doesn't know what a woman is, and that is that he seems to be in bed most of the time and cozying up to some of the great abuses of women's right.
Speaker 7: I thought you were about to say he was not in bed with women, so he wouldn't know what they were.
Speaker 1: In fact, no one at the UN.
Speaker 7: Seems fashion but to quote directly from the UN's most recent report on gender equality, it says no country has all relevant laws to prohibit discrimination, prevent gender based violence, uphold equal rights in marriage and divorce, guarantee equal pay, and provide full access to sexual and reproductive health. And so the UN caring so much about this, guess who they put in charge to chair their Council on Gender Equality this year Saudi Arabia. Saudi Arabia. I mean, how can they sit there? How can Antonio Guterres and anyone else at the U in genuine sit there and say, oh, yes, gender equality is the biggest problem on the face of the earth right now. When Saudi Arabia, we're until about five minutes ago women couldn't even drive a car, is chairing their Gender Equality Council.
Speaker 6: For heavens, you know, little just so passionate about women's rights, but won't say a word about child rights, won't say a word about female genital mutilation taking place in several of their member countries. Won't say a word about the millions of females you don't have access to education, cannot read, have no way of working their own way out of an.
Speaker 5: Oppressive regime whatsoever.
Speaker 6: They are voiceless, they are unheard, they are unseen, this bastion of human rights. The United Nations does not come to their resc you know, they're too busy getting Saudi Arabia to make sure that they are chairing this committee on women's rights. It's utterly laughable. How does anyone pay a tension to this one.
Speaker 5: World government in any way, shape or form.
Speaker 2: Do you reckon?
Speaker 3: They put Saudi Arabia in charge of women's rights in the same way that a school teacher trying to straighten out that naughty kid.
Speaker 2: Puts him in charge of you know, oh.
Speaker 3: Organizing, hoping that being in charge will straighten him out and get him to see the right way.
Speaker 7: Well, well, I heard that they're about to launch a Council on Cruelty against chickens and they're going to put the COOKFC in charter as well.
Speaker 1: That'll go.
Speaker 5: That would be very, very offending for them.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 7: Now, look, a friend of mine, who has been a lifelong Catholic, in fact, he served as the treasurer of his local Catholic church for the better part of two decades, told me some time ago that he would never darken the door of the Catholic Church again for so long as Pope Francis was in charge. And look, I kind of sympathize with him. I'm not a Catholic myself, but by God, you can tell the bloke is an absolute lifty. He seems to spend more time denigrating the Catholic Church and its sensibilities than upholding them.
Speaker 1: He's now come out with another.
Speaker 7: Great of Catholic wisdom, which is that it doesn't matter what religion you belong to, where we're all ultimately moving towards the same God.
Speaker 9: Because every religion is a way to arrive at God.
Speaker 8: So no.
Speaker 9: So no comediver I sort of a comparison, an example would be there sort of like different languages in order.
Speaker 1: To arrive at God mado.
Speaker 9: But God is God for all, a comedio id partutiamo tuti phili di dio.
Speaker 7: And if God is God for all, then we're all sons and daughters of God. It's all the same. There's just a bunch of different religions for world.
Speaker 1: Does mean we might be leaving.
Speaker 7: Completely disparate stuff, but we're all sort of moving in the same direction.
Speaker 1: Now. Now it helped me out here. You are a former minister, you are the daughter of a minister.
Speaker 7: As someone who hasn't spent a lot of time in the church, I thought I had a minor understanding of how these things work, which was you believe in your particular religion because you think it's the one true religion and your God is the one true God, and you believe in that one because all the other ones are wrong.
Speaker 1: So the Pope is now saying it doesn't matter. You didn't have to be Catholic, doesn't matter what you are. We all believe in the same thing. I didn't think they all believed in the same way.
Speaker 5: Well, congratulations, Caleb. Turns out you know more than the pope.
Speaker 1: Make me the pope. Make me the pope.
Speaker 6: Yeah, one point three billion Catholics, it is time to fire your pope for crying out loud. That's heresy by anyone's definition.
Speaker 5: That is blasphemy.
Speaker 6: In fact, the entire eleven years of this guy's papers, he's never stopped advocating for climate change. That's been a major bastion of his time in the hot seat. Last December, he decided it was perfectly okay for priests to bless sane sex marriage. Have you read the scriptures, buddy, It repeatedly says that is an abomination. And with regards to this idea that, oh, we're all gonna make it, it actually doesn't matter which religion you belong to. John fourteen six, Baby Jesus said, I am the Way, the Truth, and the life. Nobody makes it to the Father except through me.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 5: That sounds pretty exclusive. That sounds like there really is only one way.
Speaker 6: So Catholics, either you need to fire your pope or really reconsider this idea.
Speaker 5: Of Ex Cathedra.
Speaker 6: This people infallibility, because according to you guys, everything that comes out of this bloke's mouth is absolutely infallible. If I had a dollar for every Catholic who's come up to me and said to me, a lifelong Protestant, why don't you convert to Catholicism, to which I reply, why do you allow a heretic to be the head of your universal church? Maybe, just maybe I consider it if you just got rid of the guy who's currently chairman, because from woe.
Speaker 5: To Go, I mean, this guy has always been a joker. In my eyes. I've always said, bring back Pope Bennie.
Speaker 6: Then of course Pope Bennie died, so I couldn't crack that joke anymore.
Speaker 5: But this guy has made a mockeryly first, as far as I'm concerned.
Speaker 3: You know, when someone asks you a really obvious question and you replied, is the Pope Catholic? It's rhetorical, but now it's a legitimate question. We don't know if he's Catholic or not. In the clip we show he goes on he says things like this. He says, it's wrong to say that my religion is more important than yours. It's wrong to say my religion is true and yours is not. He went on and he said, than I quote each religion and then he names them seek, Muslim, Hindu, Christian.
Speaker 2: They're all different paths but.
Speaker 3: Arrive at the same place, which begs the question, if that's true, why would anyone become a Catholic. You don't need to become a Catholic. It also begs the question of Christians, why did Jesus bother to dire bloody, painful death on a cross if you get to heaven some other.
Speaker 2: Clearly. But here's the thing that the.
Speaker 3: Pope is trying to be inclusive, right because anyone who claims they are the possessor of objective truth, that's divisive. So he's trying to be inclusive. But in trying to be inclusive, he makes an objective truth claim. He says, they're all the same paths to the same God. So he is claiming to have objective truth, but no one else is allowed to. In twenty nineteen, he co signed a document with a Muslim leader in Dubai saying, and I quote, the diversity of religions are will by God in his wisdom.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Sometimes you wonder, and Liz, you're a great I wouldn't call you a conspiracy theorist. I would just say you're ahead of the curve.
Speaker 5: But as a conspiracy theorists are.
Speaker 2: The United Nations, the World Economic Forum.
Speaker 3: They're all very keen to try and get all religions to come together and just together support all these great initiatives.
Speaker 2: And I reckon the Pope would be a great leader for that, you.
Speaker 7: Know, he says, you know, they're just on different paths. But the only problem is, I mean, it's like you're starting in Adelaide. One of the paths goes to Perth, one of the paths goes to.
Speaker 1: Wilson Promontory, and the other one goes to Cape York. For Heaven's sake, exactly.
Speaker 3: Well, just before we go to a break, let's talk for a second about the fallout from this second attempted assassination of President Donald Trump.
Speaker 2: No sooner had that second assassination attempt.
Speaker 3: Being tried and thankfully foiled by alert Secret Service agents. The Trump campaign and put out a screenshot of comments made by Democrats that clearly have been inciting violence against the former premier. We've got a former Premier, the former president. We've got numbers of them here and you can see. Kamala Harris said, we've got to recognize Trump is a threat. Joe Biden has said it's time to put Trump in a bullseye. Biden also said mega Republicans are a threat to the very soul of this country.
Speaker 2: On and on it goes.
Speaker 3: Pages and pages of receipts from Democrats who clearly have been ramping up this retoric. And is it any surprise that people have taken them at There were thought, if Trump's a threat to the democracy, if he's a threat to the world, we better do something about it. But no one's learned their lesson. Have a look at Hillary Clinton. This is after the second attempt on Trump's life. She went on TV and she said.
Speaker 10: This, you know, journalists, should you really try to achieve objectivity? And by that he said, I mean they should cover the object. Well, the object in this case is Donald Trump has donemagogery, his danger to our country and the world, and stick with it. You know, they were merciless about what they saw as President Biden's problems in the debate.
Speaker 2: These people have no shame.
Speaker 3: Within hours of a second attempt on Trump's life, Clinton goes on television calling him a demagogue and dangerous.
Speaker 2: It's almost like she's trying to goad a third assassination attempt.
Speaker 7: Well, of course they've been goading it for this long. Why would they give up the game now?
Speaker 1: For heaven's sake?
Speaker 7: And it's Bolt Andrew Bolt pointed out earlier this evening that every attempt on a president's life in his lifetime has been committed by someone of the left.
Speaker 1: And the left always goes.
Speaker 7: On about, oh, you know, it's this the danger of the right, danger of Donald Trump. Well, we pull out the receipt. It ain't the danger of the right that's causing this. It is the danger of the left. They refuse to admit it because they would actually prefer to see Donald Trump dead than in the White House again, and they will do anything possible to encourage that and then wipe their hands of it after.
Speaker 2: Just before we go to the break, got to show this headline from the Atlantic. Listen to this.
Speaker 3: Donald Trump is using another possible attempt on his life to inflame tensions in America.
Speaker 2: So when even they take a.
Speaker 3: Shot at Trump, Trump is the bad guy for being shot at absolutely unbelievable.
Speaker 2: We're gonna go to a break. When we come back, we'll look at.
Speaker 3: What's making news in the papers tomorrow, including could there be four rate cuts next year?
Speaker 2: It's coming up in a moment. Welcome back.
Speaker 3: Let's take a look at what's making news in tomorrow's papers. And you know the cost of living crisis is really starting to bite when you get headlines like this in the Gold Coast bulletin. It's a latte, but time's been hard talking about the pun that's the cost of living and giveaway here. But the next line, cafe operators are pleading for government intervention, warning the price of an average coffee will soon hit seven dollars to keep pace with rising business costs. Now, I know when you go to the Gold Coast on holidays you pay a premium for everything, but seven dollars for a coffee. I get my coffee for four dollars fifty at Castle Towels, and it's a great coffee too. But there's no way in hell I would pay seven bucks for a coffee. I would be getting an s cafe, instant coffee and making it home myself.
Speaker 2: Seven dollars.
Speaker 5: Ford went to National roast all the way.
Speaker 6: No, But seriously reading this, I was just surprised that they haven't hit seven dollars yet here in Sydney. I'm sorry to say that is not unusual in Castle Hill. Out in Castle Hill, like God's maybe.
Speaker 5: It's even worth making the trip to for coffee that cheap. But this ship has flown. This ship is a spec in the distance.
Speaker 2: How much are you paying for coffee?
Speaker 5: Were you're in the innocent. I get a long black and it's six dollars fifty.
Speaker 6: So there's no milk involved, There's no frothing involved, not even the extra time involved, all the extra products of dairy.
Speaker 5: It's just a long black.
Speaker 7: How can you say there's no frothing. I'd be bloody frothing as far as blaying six.
Speaker 1: Dollars fifty for a long black, manven sake, I mean. I wrote a.
Speaker 7: Column for news dot com are you back in April in which I said that if a coffee costs more than five dollars in this country, we are no longer a serious country. A few months later, we're talking about seven dollars now right. But the bit I can't get my head around is the cafe operators it says you're repleating for government intervention. So what are we now the federal government of the state government's got to intervene and subsidize Cafe zone about.
Speaker 2: Power costs and probably fuel subsidies and all those others.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well we could all we could all do with a bit of that.
Speaker 7: But it is how ridiculous when something like a coffee, as simple as a coffee could cost you seven dollars. You know, it used to be able to get a pine on happy hour for about five bucks.
Speaker 1: You walk into a pub. Now you cannot find a pint of.
Speaker 7: Beer for less than ten dollars in most parts of the country. It is absolutely outrageous. And that's they put tax on beer. There's no tax on coffee, and it's still going up.
Speaker 6: This one wonders how much of this is crocodile tears, because if you cannot make a coffee for less than seven dollars, what the heck are you doing?
Speaker 5: We all know you've got to.
Speaker 6: Pay your staff, but we know wages haven't gone up. Sure, there's interest rate rises, there's inflation, but wages haven't.
Speaker 5: Gone up with that. So you've got to pay your staff, but you're paying them the same.
Speaker 6: You mean to tell me a coffee bean and milk has gone up so significantly that you're charging.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, that's not it.
Speaker 3: It's barristas have joined the CFMU and they're being paid fortunate.
Speaker 5: I mean your cost staff costs. It can't be. It's no, wages have gone up, so you.
Speaker 6: Are paying for the coffee machine which you would have bought ages ago.
Speaker 5: You're essentially selling the product.
Speaker 6: Which is one cardboard cup coated with pfas You're welcome, and the coffee.
Speaker 5: Bean with a bit of hot water and some milk. If someone hasn't ordered.
Speaker 7: Along black well, i'll give you, I'll give you a hot tip. You shouldn't be having takeaway coffee. It should always be had in a porcelain cup, sitting down with a newspaper as far as I'm concerned.
Speaker 1: And by the way, if a cafe doesn't.
Speaker 7: Have the day's papers there, I will walk out. I think that's the marker of a good cafe. But it's the operating costs that have gone up. It's the overheads in terms of power and whatever, as you mentioned before, but also interest rates have hit them significantly as well. Because if you've taken out a business loan to start a cafe. Those costs have gone up. Thanks Albow, you've sent the cost of coffee through the roof. But there could be some relief on the way because on the front of the courier mail tomorrow it says hope for borrowers four rate cups.
Speaker 1: In twenty five.
Speaker 7: I can hear the cheers from the lodge sitting here in Macquarie Park in Sydney.
Speaker 1: Mortgage holders could receive four.
Speaker 7: Interest rate cuts next year, reigniting another property boom, experts claim. The A six is RBA target rate tracker yesterday revealed Australian financial markets have begun pricing in four twenty five basis point interest rate cuts starting in February. And that is exactly what the Prime Minister wants before he goes to a federal election. He is hoping and praying and wishing and crossing every single appendage. He hasn't tonight that this actually happens. But by the way, it won't be any thanks to him. It's only because the RBA has pulled their levers so hard thirty not interest rate rises. Since this Prime Minister has come to power in order to make this happen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the headline reads, hope for Borrow is a hope for Albanez now too, right, the more pertinent headline. Who knows whether this will happen or not, But a lot of people will be hanging on for dear life believing it will because a lot of people are doing it really tough.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it sounds like false hope, and it smells like false hope.
Speaker 6: Let's just pretend they've said nothing until it actually happens.
Speaker 1: Seven dollar coffee tonight.
Speaker 6: Australian now UCUST originals to embrace threesome.
Speaker 5: That's the pillar talk.
Speaker 6: Australia, the US and Britain will open the Yeah, I know, where is this with the innuendo?
Speaker 2: We read that earlier and I only just got it. But it's the way you read it out made it clear to me, so I.
Speaker 7: No, no. As soon as I saw that, I thought, this is going to sell papers tomorrow.
Speaker 1: The people go are going to have threesomes in Aucust.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, this this union's really really taking off.
Speaker 6: Australia, the US and Britain will open the door to ORCUST cooperation with South Korea, New Zealand and Canada in a potential expansion of the pack so called Pillar two technology sharing partnership. You wonder if they're trying to do kind of punch for punch with Bricks, because Bricks recently invited like five more countries and they're obviously with Russia and China they're seen as the other orcus I mean, not specifically, but certainly that's how I see them.
Speaker 5: So they're looking to expand. South Africa recently signed on with them.
Speaker 6: Are we doing the same here, being like, actually, just a handful of us may not be enough in the future.
Speaker 5: Let's get some new recruits if you want to join. The doors are open.
Speaker 2: It's pretty clear what's happening.
Speaker 3: Everybody's sort of getting around their friends, and everyone's picking their side because everyone knows what's coming.
Speaker 2: That's what it seems like.
Speaker 3: These are not easy times where everyone's relaxing and thinking we've got clear skies ahead. There's dark clouds on the horizon, and so people are choosing their friends and buddying up.
Speaker 2: And I think we're very wise.
Speaker 1: To fair enopple.
Speaker 7: Let's not forget though that we read on the front of the OZ last night the US is urging Australia not to vote for Israel having to pull entirely out of Gaza. We'll talking about it Ucus, but to the Orcust partners aren't exactly on the same page when it comes to military matters.
Speaker 3: And if you can to involve New Zealand in UCUS, you'd like to know that they're committed to Orcus rather than coosing up to China as the former Labor government.
Speaker 1: That's true though.
Speaker 7: You earlier, when we were reading the papers before the show, thought it said North Korea, and I thought, hell, if we can get North Korea on board, this thing is a real goat.
Speaker 1: We're looking with gas of.
Speaker 2: A man of faith.
Speaker 3: I thought my prayers might have been answered with a las No, we're going to go to a break.
Speaker 2: Can we come back.
Speaker 3: You won't believe a mayoral debate in Brazil that ends in violence with one candidate being slapped over the head with a chair.
Speaker 2: We'll show you that outrage in mister money.
Speaker 3: Well, we've just had local government elections here in New South Wales and there are a few dirty tactics, but Liz, none as bad as what they had in Brazil.
Speaker 6: We love to pay out on our councils here, but it turns out, they're actually rather boring compared to these guys. This was the mayoral candidate debate, so Brazilians are watching this at home on their TV when one of them suddenly got extremely physical.
Speaker 1: Pa look.
Speaker 6: Detainer, the guy who'd brandished a chair and tried to brain his opponent, said that he'd gotten violent because his opponent had brought up sexual allegations of harassment which were years old and had been disproved and dismissed.
Speaker 5: So he was very upset that.
Speaker 6: His opponent had brought them back up. Meanwhile, his opponent.
Speaker 5: Did have to be treated in hospital for his injuries. I mean, this is unbelievable.
Speaker 6: Detainer was then expelled from the debate, but he said he wasn't sorry and would not be apologizing.
Speaker 3: I reckon for the next US presidential debate, which presidential candidate should be provided with a chair?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Well, I mean, look, I'd almost be willing to say that we shouldn't abolish councils in Australia if we got that level of entertainment from them. And of course, you know he's running for me, so he wants to chair the council. But one thing we can say is that he did not take that sitting down, did he. Now let's go down to my home state.
Speaker 1: Let's go to Adelaide.
Speaker 7: Now you might recall about a month ago at the Showdown, which is where the Adelaide Crows playoff against Port Adelaide, there was a bit of violence that Port Adelaide mascot got punched up and Matt Crouch, one of the Crows players, knocked off the hat of a person in the crowd who'd been getting lippy.
Speaker 1: With him after the game.
Speaker 7: The police investigated that for an entire month and only came back today and said that no charges would be pressed.
Speaker 1: What a great use of police resources.
Speaker 7: Investigating someone having their hat knocked off.
Speaker 1: But we speak of police resources.
Speaker 7: Ken Ingley, the coach of Port Adelaide, has been fined twenty thousand dollars for also mouthing off at Hawthorne player Jack Ginovan after the finals game on the weekend twenty grand will Eddie Maguire says, my recommendation for Ken next time, don't stand thirty meters away in the middle of the football.
Speaker 1: Ground and do it. Don't do that.
Speaker 7: Come to Melbourne, go to Jack Ginovan's house, invade it with a machete.
Speaker 1: Do that because you won't get fined at all for that.
Speaker 7: Or maybe bring the whole of Port Adelaide over and course thirty million dollars worth of a tax on police for no reason and no one cares.
Speaker 1: I think he's onto something.
Speaker 5: That yeh, fire that twenty grand.
Speaker 2: We gotta go.
Speaker 3: That's sit from us and stick around. Coming up in just a moment is the readA Pennety show