Speaker 1: Lately. General, welcome the Late Debate. Thanks for joining us on the Late Debate. I'm James Macpherson with Liz Storer and Caleb Bond. Coming up expensive artwork at a Dutch museum thrown into the bin by staff who mistook it for trash, which pretty much sums up modern art. Will show you that particular piece of art a little later. Plus, when we look at the papers, the Victorian Coalition leading labor for the first time in seven years, but will John Pursuito be around to enjoy the benefits of that polling? And the nation's peak Judicial body says that judges should be trained in understanding the effects of colonialism before sitting on trials involving indigenous defendants. Will get to all of that a little later. You know. One of the main criticisms of the ABC is that they never ever apologize, but that's not always the case. This morning, for instance, ABC radio host Patricia Cavellius made an apology or is she called it a real apology to herso sensitive listeners. Let me play the part of the interview on Radio National this morning and see if you can pick the offense for which she later gave a groveling apology.
Speaker 2: What I feel is that sometimes some of our states, I mean partially European state, it's western states, so a little bit scizophrenic about that, and.
Speaker 3: That schizophrenic approach that you've described it as.
Speaker 4: This confused, more confused approach.
Speaker 1: So did you pick up there that they used the word schizophrenic. She and her guest used the word schizophrenic to refer to European policy. Well, the ABC switchboard lit up, and Patricia Cavellos, rather than encouraging her audience to maybe grow up and understand a little thing called context, gave this me a culper And can I.
Speaker 4: Just make an apology, a real apology?
Speaker 3: Actually, my last couple of guests ago, actually it wasn't quite the last guest use the word schizophrenic in describing policy, which he used and I thought he was a very interesting man.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I can understand why people.
Speaker 3: Offended by it, and then I repeated it, and I can only apologize to myself, of course, and I do apologize for that. It is a few of you have made the point about timing with the Prime Minister apologizing about the Turet's comment.
Speaker 4: I think you're right about the timing.
Speaker 3: It just shows how well, in my case, you can not think before you speak sometimes. And I heard the word, and I repeated it, and I apologize. I don't think that we need to be using mental health or any of these issues to describe in a derogatory way, which was not certainly my intention.
Speaker 4: But I apologize and thank you for your texts.
Speaker 1: Seriously, Caleb and Lives, that conversation had nothing to do with the mentally ill. Even blind Freddy can understand and see that and buy that reference on me in no disrespect to visually impaired people or viewers named fred Frederick or Fredick.
Speaker 5: Both of you are wearing glasses tonight, so.
Speaker 6: I know, and don't be crazy, James. I suppose I can't even say that anymore either. I'm seriously, there are some people in this country who need to take a spoonful of cement and harden the f up. Honestly, if you cannot use schizophrenic, and we all understand what schizophrenia the condition is, it's where you're all over the shop, right, So why can't I just then use schizophrenic to refer to something, be it policy or a person or whatever it is being all over the shop. It's not like I'm saying I hate schizophrenic people. It's just using a word that applies to a condition that also then applies to what generally happens when you have that condition. I don't see the issue this, But I don't see the issue.
Speaker 5: This is exactly how political correctness has taken over though. Those apologies, those apologies, you playing to the lowest common denominator. How many Karens texted in and said, I'm offended. Who cares? What's going to happen nothing, You're offended, That's it. How did we go from teaching kids sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me. I eat, words will never hurt me to having grown ass adults in the Western world who genuinely think because I am offended, I now have a right to make us song and dance. I want to live in a democracy, but I don't want people to have freedom of speech. I want them to be constantly self censoring. I want to live in a democracy, but never be offended ever again in my entire life. And if I am offended, then someone is in the wrong and something must be done about that. An apology must be received. It's utter nonsense. This is how we lose. And this is exactly what we saw regarding yesterday's comment from the Prime Minister using Angus Taylor of mate, do you have Tourett's here? It is if you've forgotten.
Speaker 2: This nonsense that they carry on with the idea that where have you got tourets or something?
Speaker 1: You know, you know, you see the babel babel bab order.
Speaker 6: Are we drawing, mister Spagher?
Speaker 2: I we drawn, We drawn, We join and apologize.
Speaker 5: He'd already withdrawn it and apologize, and let's all know, there was a lot more laughter than there was people realizing maybe he shouldn't have said that. Who was offended by it? Who on earth was offended by it? Well, someone must have said, mister Prime Minister, you better make this right. Because even though he'd already moved on, he'd already done a quick apology. He then took to the floor yesterday to issue this apology.
Speaker 2: Made comments that were unkind and hurtful. I knew it was wrong as soon as I made the comment. I apologized and I would do as soon as I said it. But it shouldn't have happened. And I also want to apologize to all Australians who suffer from this disability, or.
Speaker 5: How about stop choosing to be offended adults. He clearly meant nothing untoward by it. The more we play along with this, the more prevalent it becomes in every workplace, in every media organization, and everyone looks on and goes quick better copy that, and starts apologizing for every single little thing that any Karen out there could find offensive, because you know, in today's society, people can find anything offensive and it's so subjective. It's according to your upbringing, your religious beliefs, your cultural background. Would I find offensive, you may not, and vice versa. But the difference between you and me is I just laugh. I don't find it offensive. I'm actually incredibly hard to offend, and I encourage everyone to do the same.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean the ABC apology from Patricia Cavellis explains why the ratings are falling so sharply. They've dropped ten and a half percent in the ratings in the past twelve months, and she's actually being moved on from Radio National. Who would want to tune into a radio program where a perfectly innocent interview with a guest from overseas.
Speaker 5: Yeah, English clearly wasn't even his first language, where.
Speaker 1: Everyone knew he meant confusion, not a group of mentally ill people elicits an apology of such earnestness. As for Anthony Albanezi though, and I agree with you, I personally thought I knew what he meant. It was a joke. Move on. But you criticized him for coming back and making the earnest apology. If he's going to apologize, the first one did not count because politicians do this kind of don't they. They they go smash and then they say, I withdraw, I apologize.
Speaker 6: Well, it's the greatest trick in the book because.
Speaker 5: The right shouldn't have apologized at all. And if anyone wanted to take offense to the fact that he hadn't apologized, she did in the first instance, making a song and dance about it, making it like this, you know, ceremony of self flagelence, like I'm so sorry. Heck, if I was Angus Taylor, I would have just shot back mighty tough words coming from a PM with a speech impediment. He play them at their own game. Instead of people then coming out being like.
Speaker 6: This was so hurt it's a it's a ticks box, ticks boxing. You can make fun of me now having a speech. It's a tick boxing, tick boxing, exercise box, ticking boxy, tick boxing. Let me help you.
Speaker 1: Elbanies is from the left right, so they've made a rod for their own back because everyone those the lefties are all over this. So when langling and she's part of what is something, they've got to apologize to their own bait.
Speaker 6: That's part of what annoyed me about the reaction to Albo yesterday as well, was that there was a lot of criticism for the right from the right.
Speaker 1: For himsel yes, the right should have said it, come up.
Speaker 6: We all say, exactly, come out, and we go okay, probably shouldn't have said it. We're all human for him and say can we just move on and not ourselves up in knots about this stuff? Speaking of telling ourselves up in knots about language. And I know our great mate Kel Richards, who sometimes sits in my seat here on this program, will be watching with great interest tonight. So's the story popped up in a few of the online news outlets today that stemmed from a social media post on Readit where someone was saying that their daughter, who is a retail worker, got in trouble at work from a customer because they called them mate. Let me read this to you. This is from the post it. So she's dealt with the good and the bad and the ugly customers as you would expect in retail, but she came home completely puzzled and confused by one customer. The customer told her can I tell you something, followed by please don't call me mate. She apologized with I'm so sorry if I've offended you, but the customer then told her it's unprofessional to use that word in the workplace. She's pretty sure. The customer was also Australian, which added to her being more confused. When did the word mate become unprofessional? I mean, look, the word mate has saved me on so many occasions because I don't know what you two are like. But a name goes in one ear and out the other. Unless I repeat your name back to you multiple times, I will not remember your name by the end of a conversation. If I've just met you. So you get to the end of the conversation, you've completely forgotten who this person is in front of nice to meet you mate, or you're running to someone in the supermarket. You haven't seen them for five years, you know them like you've met them before, you can't really remember, mate. How are you right? It's the get out word for every situation, apart from maybe women. It's a bit difficult to call a woman mate. No, you can't call him darl anymore. That sexist store. You can't love, go and love or hey you going sweetheart? Honey buns or whatever it might be.
Speaker 5: Right, Okay, but don't give in to the PC.
Speaker 6: It's apparently a sexist patron.
Speaker 5: Call them dahl. Most of us love it.
Speaker 6: I appreciate your input, darling, But what I will say like, what is wrong with mate? What is wrong with calling someone mate? Because if you're in Australia, Australia, everyone is mate. Get over yourself.
Speaker 1: I think this might be a generational thing because when I go through the McDonald's drive through, which is very rare but basically every night after the program, it always sounds weird when you've got some fourteen year old kid who says, how can I take your auto?
Speaker 7: Mate?
Speaker 1: And I'm like, I'm not your mate, I'm the customer.
Speaker 6: Do you want to you may call me.
Speaker 1: You may call me sir.
Speaker 5: If I was a woman, you may mate your mate.
Speaker 6: Going to McDonald's to be called sir. You want that five stuff, Butler mat.
Speaker 1: If my nineteen year old kids referred to an adult as our thanks mate, I would probably say to them, hey, you don't call a man in his forties or his fifties who is a stranger to you, mate, call him something Australian.
Speaker 6: We've also going to make.
Speaker 1: A big deal about I'm just saying I can understand.
Speaker 5: I can't leave mate. I mean, we are unpolished and unprofessional. I would like to disappoint. It was as a culture, and I despair when we mose that.
Speaker 1: So let's not think this person being like, oh.
Speaker 5: That's so unprofessional. I'm like, we're unpolished, We're Ozzie. This is what we're renowned for the world over. Don't take away our spark, thanks very much, and if you don't like it, leave mate to the US now. And that infamous interview over the Weekend by sixty minutes Bill Whittaker that saw Kamala Harris and Tim Waltz have rings runner around them. Bill Whittaker was taking no prisoners he actually asked difficult questions, and when those two buffoons just tried to serve up their usual word salads, Bill Whittaker would just come back with exactly the same question. So they didn't get to get away with much. But we find out today that CBS, knowing what a burning dumpster fire this interview was for the Democratic campaign, has taken it into their own hands to edit the footage before re airing it. This is some serious nineteen eighty four rubbish going on right under our noses. Check out this footage, Spot the difference and ask yourself why was it this one question that they chose to edit.
Speaker 4: But it seems that Prime Minister in Netnya who is not listening.
Speaker 8: Well, the work that we have done has resulted in a number of movements in that region by Israel that were very much prompted by or a result of many things, including our advocacy for what needs to happen in the region.
Speaker 4: But it seems that Prime Minister Netanyah who is not listening.
Speaker 8: We're not going to stop pursuing what is necessary for the United States to be clear about where we stand on the need for this war to end.
Speaker 5: Two completely different answers to the exact same question for Shamee CBS, and let it be known, you can't get away with this kind of thing anymore. Thanks to Elon Musk platform X. Commentators around the world pick up on this and share clips like that, so everyone knows you've adopted it, everyone knows you're lying. This is just incredible. More of this, please, Because we talk about the age of AI and how hard it's become trying to tell fact from fiction. In that regard, we already know that the mainstream media also does their darandas to manipulate the public psyche in whichever direction they've decided they want to go ie pro Democrats at any cost in this election. And yet here we have one of the main media outlets in America openly editing two completely different answers to the exact same question.
Speaker 1: Media bias is one thing, but to edit an interview replacing an answer to a question in a completely different spot, right in front of everybody's eyes in real time, I mean, that's like next level. And remember it's the Democrats who always accrues Trump of being the threat to democracy. Well, there is this not an incredible threat to democracy? Because a keeper of knowing who Kamala Harris is if you want to vote for her, is the way she communicates. She's a terrible communicator, and sixty minutes are trying to hide that from the American public. And of course Donald Trump is often talked about in terms of your election interference or Russia accused of that? Is that not election interference where they're clearly trial it turned out to.
Speaker 5: Be complete hoax cooked up by the Clinton the Russian galusion.
Speaker 1: Hope, well, exactly, But I mean, sixty minutes here are interfering in the election by trying to hide initudes of the main candidate.
Speaker 6: I don't know what you two are complaining about. I'm hoping we can do the same with my box ticking incident earlier in the program, before that goes up online, we'll just scrub that from existence. But I mean, if I were a reporter in that situation, I'd believed if that was done with my interview, because it'd be like remember when John Houston was opposition leader and he was running for PM and he got done over by Mike Willersey who asked him about GST and whether GST would apply to a birthday A you jumbled it all up. You couldn't aswer the question. Imagine, if you're Mike Willison, You've got that absolute zinger that cost huson the election, and then when your producers put it up online, they just edited it out. The best bit of the interview, the bit where you got it, I would be absolutely lived. So it turns out that not only can she just completely change her answers, because she's continually being asked, like, you're changing your mind on everything, Oh, cracking, Now you used to think it should be banned, and now it shouldn't be, and so many things. She's apparently changed her mother. She can actually change her answers. Now. This woman is super human, And of course she is continually being asked about why she keeps changing her mind. In that same interview, she was asked, why are you changing your mind on so many policies that you apparently were so convicted about.
Speaker 4: You have changed your position on so many things. You were against fracking, now you're for it.
Speaker 8: In the last four years, I have been Vice president of the United States, and I have been traveling our country, and I have been listening to folks and seeking what is possible in terms of common ground. I believe in building consensus.
Speaker 7: We are diverse people geographically regionally in terms of where we are in our backgrounds, and what the American people do want is that we have leaders who can build consensus.
Speaker 1: Ahh.
Speaker 6: So she went out there and discovered that a lot of people don't agree with her radical policy, so well, I'd better just change them, because what does it matter if you actually believe in anything or not. But can compare and contrast her saying that with what she said on the View when she was asked about her record in the Biden administration.
Speaker 5: If anything, would you have done something differently than President Biden during the past four years.
Speaker 8: There is not a thing that comes to mind, not a.
Speaker 6: Thing that comes to mard except for perhaps I don't know the border, which, of course you know, one of Barden's first actions as president was to stop building the wall, to undo all of the controls Trump had put in place to stop the flow of illegal margrants. Well, Kamala Harris is now the strongest person you've ever seen on the border. We're going to build the wall again. It She would not change a single thing that Joe Biden has done.
Speaker 1: But I loved in that sixty minutes interview where they said one of the problems is people just don't know what you stand for. I mean, talk about lobbing a tennis spore for her, it's an easy whack. You can now put forward your agenda. She speaks for almost a minute, and we're still clueless as to what she stands for.
Speaker 5: Now, I've traveled and I've talked to people. Of course, it's just internal polling. That's all these politicians ever really do. They're not knocking on thousands of doors, getting thousand first hand opinions from people here on the ground, the people who have elected them to rule and rain over them. No, no, no, no, it's all just internal polling. So the Democrats go out to poll and now they say, oh, you were four Medicare for all. That's not polling very well. So now she's not for medical for all. She was all for gun control. Now she's getting around telling everyone, oh, irown guns. I used to be a prosecutor, so yeah, I'm all for protecting oneself and people should have guns. And that's perfectly fine. Fracking absolutely opposed to it. Let's ban a lot of it. This is a menace to the future of humanity. Now it's absolutely fine because she needs to get the votes in the fracking states. So here she is trying to make it about well, that was before I knew better, and that was before as VP. I've traveled around, I've talked to so many people, and that's what's changed my mind. No, you just have absolutely no convictions. You thought that those policies were popular. You found out otherwise through your internal polling, and now you've changed your mind, which is why Trump openly jokes he's going to buy her a Maga hat because so many of the Democrats' policies just mirroring his own. Trying to erase that massive point of difference that they started with. The Dems are like, oh, but we're not so bad. I mean, all the things that the Republicans say we're going to do, we're not actually gonna do. We're just going to maybe slightly tweak, but it's not true anymore, and hoping that by narrowing that point of difference, they're going to scoop up those would be voters.
Speaker 6: The only convictions Kamala Harris has are the ones she achieved against other people when she was a prosecutor. I'm pretty sure. But just while we're talking about Kamala Harris. The other thing, of course she's playing up big time in this election campaign is that she grew up in a middle class suburb and everyone cared about the front lawn and all this sort of stuff. Anytime she's asked about the economy, oh, I grew up middle class, as though that means something anyway, one smart young girl has decided, Look, I don't want to do the chores around the house. That keeps coming and asking me, why aren't you doing the chores? Well, she's taking a leaf out of Kamala Harris's book, and it seems to be working. Hey, Jenny, did you do your chores today? Well?
Speaker 9: I grew up in a middle class family. My mom she was Indian, and I grew up in a middle class family. And we are proud of our generation. And we all we all had small little towns, and we all grew up having small shops.
Speaker 1: Jenny, did you finish your school work yet?
Speaker 9: Well, I grew up in the middle class family and we have small businesses. We had small businesses.
Speaker 1: It was great.
Speaker 6: Now she's found the get out clause here. Anytime I'm asked a tough question. No, no, it's just the Kamala Harris response.
Speaker 1: I love it, absolutely brilliant. I'm just glad I'm not the parent of that little girl. He would be way too smart.
Speaker 5: You're very proud.
Speaker 1: I think you'd be familiar with that expression. If you sow the wind, you'll reap the whirlwind. So why on earth would Kamala Harris try to insert herself in the middle of a hurricane. I guess because everyone loves a national disaster, and it's a chance for her to show her touchy feely side, which is about the only side that she has. The problem, of course, is that she can't get involved because she's the vice president and there's really no role for her to play. But she's trying to insert herself anyway, criticizing Florida Governor Ronda Santis for not taking her calls, apparently.
Speaker 5: Playing political games at this moment.
Speaker 8: In these crisis situations, these as the emergency situations, It utterly irretantle and it is selfish.
Speaker 1: So there she is accusing Roonda Santis of playing political games by not taking her phone calls in the middle of a hurricane that he's dealing with. Ronda Santis of course, says he was unaware of any phone calls from Kamala Harris. And anyway, she's the vice president, so he's far too busy dealing with a crisis than to be talking to someone who's got nothing to do with the crisis.
Speaker 10: He is desantas we've been laser focus on leveraging all resources available, including from the federal government, and I've been in touch with both FEMA and the President, as well as marshaling all our state agencies and working to support our local communities. And so for Kamala Harris to try to say that my sole focus on the people of Florida is somehow selfish, is delusional. She has no role in this. In fact, she's been vice president for three and a half years. I've dealt with a number of storms under this administration. She has never contributed anything to any of these efforts.
Speaker 1: Hey, after that slept down, I reckon she'd be wishing she'd stayed right out of it. And if she thought Joe Biden would give her assistance, well she was solely mistaken.
Speaker 6: The governor of Florida has been cooperative. He said he's gotten all that he needs.
Speaker 5: And I talked to him again yesterday and I said.
Speaker 1: I said, no, You're doing a great job.
Speaker 2: Is being all being well, We thank.
Speaker 5: You for it.
Speaker 1: And I literally gave my personal phone number to call. I love that he's not taking Camala's cause why would he. He's got Joe Biden on speed dial. And I like that Joe Biden, remember he wore the Maga hat. Then, of course he's scheduled an interview during one of Kamala's rallies which was being telecast. And now Joe Biden when Kamala's saying, DeSantis, he's playing political games, he's you know, being inept in the way he's dealing with the disaster there, Joe Biden says, no, No, Desanta's actually doing a really great job. I talked to him regularly. I think Biden is trying to say, hello, I'm still the president. Camala is just a candidate, but I'm still here. And I think he's just flipping her the bird a little bit, saying, hey, you might have pushed me aside, but I'm still here and I'm not going to make it easy for you after what you did to.
Speaker 5: Me one hundred percent. And who can begrudge him that? But the fact that she's the one playing politics with this exactly. I mean, Desantas, Florida is bracing for one of the worst hurricanes in living memory for Floridians right now, Hurricane Milton is hot on the hills of Hurricane Helene, and he's doing everything he can to batten down the hatches. We're being told this is a Category five hurricane could hit any minute, basically, and the state is set to be completely and utterly ravaged. And let's not forget this is the woman who jetted off to San Francisco while Hurricane Helene was ripping through six states, absolutely devastating them. She took a week to make an appearance on the ground in any of the states hit by that horrific hurricane. She said, Oh, I didn't go earlier because I thought I'd just be in the way, you know, fit reminiscent of the I don't hold a hose mate. I mean, this is just unbelievable that she's now accusing the governor of the very thing that she's been doing playing politics with this thing, by accusing him of being apt for not taking her calls in the middle of a major emergency.
Speaker 1: I think you've been too hush, though, criticizing her for going to San Francisco during the hurricane because of course Joe Biden was on the beach during the hurricane. That's not making focals. So she's learned from the best.
Speaker 6: If that's the bar, I'm sure going to San Francisco. She's just going there and stay there as far as I'm concidered. But I mean, this is just pathetic, isn't it. Oh yeah, I can land a blow on Dessanta's for something that has nothing to do with me whatsoever. She's you know, she's been asked continually or what have you done in your last three and a half years as vice president? And she can't really come up with much because of course she is vice president. She's not the actual president. She's not running the show. She was meant to be the Borders Are, but she didn't do much about that. She went down to the border once, or actually she's been twice now, but during her tenure as Borders Are she went down there once. All of a sudden, she thinks she's the president now, and you can understand why she might think that because has sort of been you know, hold up on the beach somewhere since she took over the candidacy, she's convinced herself she's already the president and that he must DeSantis must be taking her calls when she wants him to, because I'm the big dog. Now, Well, you're not the big dog yet. And I love that Biden. He could very easily have given her a free kick there, and he refuses to do it, Like he just embodies that old man just doesn't give a toss anymore. You know that he's been dragged out to the curb. They've done him dirty, and he's like, I don't care. I'm going to have as much fun on the way out as possible. We're actually starting to see the Biden that we wish we'd seen for the last four years.
Speaker 1: Know why she was so desperate to be involved in what's happening in Florida, because she desperately wants it to help out in a disaster that she did not create. And it's about the only disaster in the States that wasn't from her own hand.
Speaker 6: Exactly, as she's well acquainted with disasters. While we're on the US selection, we've been covering on this program for the last few weeks. The cases of very clear interference from dem States or at least the DOJ in the United States, where they're basically saying that, you know, oh, if you try to take illegals off the voter role, then we're going to come after you. Yes, that is happening. They want people who should not be voting in the US, they're not citizens, illegal migrants, to stay on the electoral role, so presumably they can vote for Joe Biden. Well, Texas has now gone off to the US Citizenship and Immigration Services Department saying, we believe there's something like four hundred and fifty four thousand people on the electoral role here who we're not entirely sure about, So we want you to hand over the data so we can cross check and remove in the lead up to the election people who do not have the illegal right to vote. And what have they heard so far? Crickets, Absolute crickets. This is the Texas Attorney General, Kim Paxton. He says, I demand full cooperation from the federal government to ensure that any non citizens deining on Texas's voter registration roles are identified. The Biden Harris administration is legally obligated to assist states in doing so, and it is imperative that we use every tool available to uphold the integrity of our elections. All they are trying to do, as he said in that final line, is ensure election integrity, to make sure that people who cannot vote or cannot legally vote, are not allowed to vote. And the roadblocks keep being put in their way, whether it be taking states to court, whether it be not responding to calls like this. The DMS are doing everything to make sure that illegals have the opportunity to vote. Geez, I wonder why, Maybe because Biden let them.
Speaker 5: In and they might just return to Notice it's the Red States. Each time we have one of these stories, it's the Red States trying to clear up their electoral role to make sure they have a free and fair election. Paxton makes the point in the letter that he wrote to the Feds. Our counties are sometimes a hair's breadth away from going red or blue in different sections of the state. So to make this fair, we need to get rid of nearly half a million voters if indeed they prove not to be citizens. You've got the data. Help us out here. We all care about having an Integris election, don't we but we know that the Dems don't. The Biden Harris administration's DOJ Department of Justice jokes in the name, is currently being sued, sorry suing Alabama for taking just three thousand, two hundred illegals off their voter registration rolls before the election because they say, oh, you didn't do it within the ninety days before the election, You're supposed to have done it by then. They got it in I think eighty four eighty six days out to the election, and the DOJ is genuinely suing the state of Alabama saying no, no, those three thousand, two hundred plus elle eagles should be allowed to vote in the upcoming election. That's how little this administration really wants a free and fair election.
Speaker 1: And so people have got to keep this in mind every time the Democrats talk about our precious democracy, but they're opposing cleaning up the electoral roles. Every time they talk about we hope there's a peaceful transfer of power, but we can't be sure. Well, they're opposing cleaning up the electoral roles to make sure there's not a massive discontent at the results. You're not allowed to talk about a stolen election. You're not allowed to even utter those words or immediately you're corrected. But they're creating a circumstance where people may well infer that depending on how the result goes, by being seen to be tardy, and not just tardy, as you pointed out, they're actively using the DOJ to oppose making sure the electoral roles are seen to be fair, even and integris.
Speaker 5: It's just not going to happen. It's really not going to happen. To an interesting story out of the States today. Fluoride in your water, remember that old chestnut. People have been tossing this around for years, but if you questioned it, you're a raging conspiracy theorist, weren't you, Yes, So people just stopped bringing it up. Well, a judge has now instructed a judge in the US has now instructed the EPA, the relevant body over there, to have another look at their regulation of fluoride. Why. Well, in his eighty page ruling, he said, there's little dispute over whether it is hazardous. Indeed, the EPA's own experts say yes, fluoride is hazardous depending on the level. And that got an act that provides a legal pathway for people to petition the EPA to consider whether an industrial chemical presents health rests. I mean, do me a favor. It's an industrial chemical. Here's some of Judge Chen's ruling. He writes, Indeed, EPA's own expert agrees that fluoride is hazardous at some level of exposure, and ample evidence establishes that a mother's explosure to fluoride during pregnancy is associated with IQ decrements in her offspring. Between nineteen eighty one and nineteen eighty four, fluoride's association with adverse effects, including osteosclerosis, enamel fluorosis in psychological and behavioral problems was contested. The court's finding does not conclude with certainty that fluorided fluorided water yet ru redated fluoridated Thank you so much, our resident kel Richards fluoridated water is injurious to public health. Rather as required by the amended TSCA, which is the Toxic Substance Control Act, the court finds there is an unreasonable risk of such injury, a risk sufficient to require the EPA to engage with a regulatory response. Now, this is off the back of a report done by the US government back in August, which found fl you all right in drinking water at twice save limit safe limit rather linked to lower IQ in children. I'm telling you, another day, another good day to be a conspiracy theorist. I'm running out of conspiracy theories here. So look, while they're saying nobody likes stop drinking water, we're not saying everyone's just going to end up deeply affected by this. This is obviously a big enough concern for this Act to be amended on the back of this report, and now for the judge to instruct the EPA. You guys need to get onto this and regulate it a lot better, because they've obviously picked up on the fact it does affect IQ in children.
Speaker 1: I was wondering how to explain California, and now we know what the problem is. It's the water. What's the bigger issue with low IQ in California? Is it the water or the culture? Interestingly, the judge said something needs to be done, but you didn't specify what needs to be done. He's well, it was so open. I think he was you were warning or they could ban it altogether.
Speaker 5: Yes, Well, obviously he's leaving that part up to the experts. But the case had been brought to him and all he knows is, yes, something definitely needs to be done. But he's not a medical expert, but he's already said the EPA experts say this is a hazardous substance. Yes, it does have these adverse health.
Speaker 1: Affow that's can be an issue of balance, right exactly.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And I mean it would be stupid if we're not continually looking at the levels of this stuff that's in the water. And I mean that the other one, Oh.
Speaker 5: Like we look at the pfas and I was going to.
Speaker 6: Say, this is the ultimate example, right that the US has led the way in terms of regulating how much prefas is allowed to be in water. And you look at the levels of pfas that is found forever chemicals in simpletons that he's found in Australian water. The regulations are so much higher than what they are in the US. You're not continually assessing this up, I'd say, you're actually putting people at risk. Whatever chemical At.
Speaker 5: Munch, we allow pfast levels over one hundred and fourteen times the legal limit in the US. That's how much your government cares about your health.
Speaker 1: Australia, Well, I'm sure that discussion will continue. We're going to take a break when we come back. Look at what's making news tomorrow, including our country's peak Judicial body says judges need to be trained in the effects of colonialism before sitting on cases involving indigenous defendants. That's coming up in this a moment. Welcome back well. Victorian Liberal leader John Persudo has been having a rough time lately, but I reckon he will like the front page of tomorrow's Herald Son.
Speaker 5: You know things are dire when the Libs are looking up in Victoria. How bad did it have to get to you Lib's pole vault. Some very exciting news for Victorian's coalition leads Labor for first time in seven years as debt bites. The Victorian Coalition is in an election winning position, overtaking Labor for the first time in almost seven years. A new Redbridge poll shows the Coalition is two points ahead of Labor on a two party preferred basis fifty one to forty nine. Anger of a proposed health cuts, cost of living pressures and the housing crisis have been blamed for the drop in Labour's support in the poll, conducted on the first anniversary of just Siner Allan becoming Premier. Happy anniversary, Alan, This is amazing. I wonder also though, if they know Persuito's on the way out, so they're all like, yeah, you go the Libs anyone, but that guy.
Speaker 1: Which an amazing pole because it's been taken while Pursuito is in the middle of a defamation trial one of his own MPs. On top of that, there's all these rumors about leadership challenges, and this poll was conducted in the days following those rumors. So it's good news for Pursuito. I might actually keep him there. In fact, maybe this pole has been rigged by the labor Path to try to encourage the Libs cut John Pasic, the.
Speaker 5: Most defeatable Liberal leader.
Speaker 6: In the most likely the explanation anniversary bear. I mean, look, I see it at the time, Jacinda Allen ain't no Dameaniel Andrews, and I think that has come to pass. You know, Daniel Andrews was an extraordinary politician. And I've said this before and I truly mean it. One of the best politicians this country has ever seen. Not because he implemented good policy, but he was damn good at politics. He knew how to centralize control and that was what made his government so successful. It was going to be a very hard act to follow, and I think Jacinta Allen is finding that that is a very hard act to follow. She can't do the same stuff that Daniel Andrews didn't. She's starting to pay for it.
Speaker 5: And those premiers infamously have handed over to a pile of losers. Really, you've got Anastasia Palischet handed over to Miles Mark McGowan handed over most people don't even know his name, with Roger Cook. But yeah, so many of them disappeared, we still remember them as premiers. I swear half the populations on you.
Speaker 1: Don't pick on the Labor Party? Who's the opposition leader in New South Wales? Mart speakman, Yeah, it took you a moment though, Sorry.
Speaker 6: I think give me some But that's a good point. I reckon. If you walk down Pitt Street Mall in Sydney, nine out of ten people wouldn't be able to tell you who that the opposition leader is.
Speaker 5: Now, yeah, I think nine out of ten that's generous. A cup clash question still on the Herald's son, the Albenese government is under pressure, including from a top horse trainer, to reschedule question time in Parliament on Melbourne Cup Day because it clashes with the race that stops the nation. The Opposition says Anthony Albanezi has already said a president to move the daily grilling after he moved it to ten am this Wednesday so he could fly to Laos. There you go. Should a bigger question though, should Parliament sit on Melbourne cuss Not exactly. This is an international fanfare. This is not just the race that stops the nation. In many parts of the world they stop as well. This is a really, really big deal. So why aren't all our pollies fronting up and making a day of this?
Speaker 6: To what a party pooper Anthony Albaniz A you absolute party pooper, take your nap with a cup nonsense elsewhere. If they should not be sitting on Melbourne Cup Day, they should be in Melbourne at Flemington soaking up the atmosphere. For heaven's sake. If you're sitting on Melbourne Cup Day, this is not a serious country anymore. Melbourne Cup Day is a sacred day in this nation. It should be a public holiday in every state, not just Victoria. Because it's an adults day right, every other public holiday sort of becomes a family day. Christmas is a family Easter is a family thing, like Melbourne Cup Day is a day for adults to go out for a long lunch and get on the piss and have a good day and watch the races and long may that rain. You are no PM of Australia if you allow Parliament to sit on Melbourne Cup Day. And if you are a Labor voter watching this, I implore you, if nothing else, if it's not even the cost of living, this is the reason that you can't vote for labor anymore.
Speaker 1: If it's a neighbor, then there's a good reason for Labour MPs to be in Parliament doing work well. I don't understand about this article. The Albanezi government is under pressure to risk schedule question time and listen, they're under pressure, including from a top horse trainer. What's a top horse trainer got to do with when question time is held.
Speaker 6: On Melbourne Cup Day? He should have everything to do with what time.
Speaker 1: Quest the hop horse trainer's opinion?
Speaker 6: Look, have you seen what those people can do? They probably do a better job of running the country than Anthony Alberniz. Let's go to the Australian tomorrow where it says, see if emmy you reprieve for rip your head off. Rep se FM you administrator Mark Irving has decided to keep employing seeing your union organizer Joel Shackleton despite him being charged by police with threatening to kill an owner of an indigenous labor hire company and losing his right to inter building sites, probably tells you something about the way the CFME you operates, doesn't it. For the record, what mister Shackleton is alleged to have said to the owner of this indigenous labor hire company was don't f with me. I'll effing take your soul and I'll rip your efing head off. Don't go off with me. See if you you're an efing dog. Well they put their finness forward at the cf ME.
Speaker 5: You don't date really do?
Speaker 6: How do you keep you? How do you continue to work? Like?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 6: I understand guilty innocent because yuildy before proven innoce innocent before proven guilty. But at the very least you stand someone down, don't you win? Something like this is going on and the CFMU has enough trouble at the moment with alligation and corruption, et cetera, without continue continuing to employ people who were accused of threatening to rip off people's heads and steal their souls.
Speaker 1: I would have thought, steal your soul seems to be a little extreme.
Speaker 5: Rathergot You're way too poetic for him. I'll take your soul. Really, that sounds like a satany kind of thing.
Speaker 6: You may take my head, but you will never take my soul. Another story on the front of the Ostermorrow Trauma Guide for judges to go won't. Judges should be trauma informed when dealing with Indigenous defendants and consider the pervasive intergenerational effects of settler colonialism when presiding over them in court. A new two hundred page guidebook endorsed by the country's peak judicial body, says, I mean, whatever happened to the idea of we're all equal before the law? I thought, if we went to court, if I'm accused of a crime, if you're accused of a crime, an Indigenous person is accused of the crime, we all have exactly the same rights. The presumption of innocence one hundred. Isn't it all the same?
Speaker 5: No? No, I learned this my first semester in law school, they drilled it into us. We're actually not equal before the law at all, because what applies to Indigenous Aussies is the Bugny Principles and the Fernando Principles, and these are specifically spelt out for Indigenous peoples. And basically, to summarize, they don't get sentenced the same as US, they don't get the same punishments the same as US. It's simply this whole idea of all equal before the law. Oh no, no, we're not. Look up the Bugny Principles, look up the Fernando Principles, and you'll understand judges are instructed by law to handle Indigenous those who come before the courts very differently.
Speaker 1: This is part of a whole push to change our judicial system for Indigenous defendants. Just a while ago we reported that there was a serious suggestion that juries should comprise half white people half Indigenous people when it was an Indigenous defendant. So there's a push to really change a lot of our legal system to help Indigenous people. But the question then of fairness before the law becomes quite pertinent.
Speaker 6: Well, I mean, should you get special dispensation for the fact that you grew up in Victoria. I mean, you probably deserve it for that, or the fact that you're Balding.
Speaker 1: Or born in Wogglego.
Speaker 5: Though so I thought you said for the fact that you're balding.
Speaker 1: You did say that, but I just gave it. I'm going to go to a break when we come back. A museum has a piece of artwork thrown in the bin because staff thought it was just trash. That's coming up in a moment, welcome back. Well, we're on the eve of a royal visit and calim, I'm looking forward to King Charles arriving on our shores. But how do you think he will go with the common man?
Speaker 6: Well, we shall see. Look, he's probably not as good as his mother when it comes to these things, but he is still our king. But he has some peculiarities. King Charles, of course, he's famous for talking to vegetables, because apparently that does something. But to God forbid those vegetables be in a bowl with some you know, glad wrap cling film over the top of the mystoria has resurfaced from a book in twenty eighteen because we learned this week that King Charles has, apparently for the first time in his life started eating lunch. He never particularly enjoyed eating lunch, but since his cancer diagnosis and treatment, he thought it was good for his health to do so. So he has half an avocado that he go there's something new, but the edge from this book has come back up. That reads. He walked into the dining room and shrieked, fearing the worst. Camilla dashed in after him. What's this, asked her husband, pointing at the food. It's cling film, darling, she replied, I mean he'd made it. This book was twenty eighteen. What he's seventy five now, so you know, let's say he was in his sixties when he's made it, sixty odd years of his life and he's never ever seen cling film.
Speaker 1: It's good to be the king cap.
Speaker 6: Oh my good, Well he wasn't.
Speaker 5: The real man of the people vibes real man. He'll go well in Australia for sure. How this before we leave you for a testament to the fact that modern art is an absolute I saw an actual rubbish It was mistaken for in a Dutch museum. This display of artistic beer cans was spotted by a mechanic who worked at the museum. Rightly thought they were trash and shucked them in the bend. I mean, who among us wouldn't make that mistake. The museum's director is quoted as saying, well, our art encourages visitors to see everyday objects in a new light by displaying artworks in unexpected places. Bears mentioning these were in a lift. So again, how was the mechanic supposed to note? We amplify this experience and keep visitors on their toes. Mate, if I was a janitor in a modern art museum, it'd be empty. I'd just be like, yeah, clearly, all this is trash. They'd walk in the next day to be like, who's the news?
Speaker 1: How easy is it to be an artist these days? Put two beer cans on the floor and you call it all the good times we spent together.
Speaker 6: And I really hope my mother is watching tonight, because she always used to complain when I was a kid that I left all the glasses on my beat standing there they were.
Speaker 5: They were.
Speaker 6: Installation, mom. I found the answer. It was hot.
Speaker 1: That's it from us sticking around. Coming up is the reader Penny show that's up in just a moment,